NATION

PASSWORD

Bubonic Plague Outbreak in China

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Bubonic Plague Outbreak in China

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-china-53303457
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2 ... golia/amp/
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12428978
https://amp.9news.com.au/article/ac544d ... a22571f429

So for 2020 disaster bingo, did anybody have a third disease coming from China within a period of twelve months? This time a Medieval disease which caused the deaths of the majority of the world's population. That's right, we're talking about the bubonic plague. The bubonic plague is infecting Southern Mongolia, and authorities have made it illegal to hunt wild rodants because of the outbreak. That seems like something which should permanently be the case, but I digress. At least this time it's a bacteria rather than a virus, so it can be treated by antibiotics. Bloody hell China, if there's an other disease outbreak in China before September, we're probably gonna have to start a megathread. I feel sorry for the people of China. I'm glad that Australia's borders are closed (not that the plague causes to much damage any more, thanks to anti-biotics)
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 pm

At this point I say we build a giant quarantine dome around China

Just kidding ik we can’t do that
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Xi do be playin plague inc kinda bad doe
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 pm

Not really a big deal, it's one of those places where plague is endemic among animals. I imagine there are at least a few cases every year.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:31 pm

Good thing we have modern medicine that can easily treat people that have the plague.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Panther
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Panther » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:32 pm

Vetalia wrote:Not really a big deal, it's one of those places where plague is endemic among animals. I imagine there are at least a few cases every year.

Exactly.

It pops up pretty regularly in the Southwest deserts of the US. Only remarkable because of the current pandemic.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:37 pm

Easily treatable, pops up throughout the world, only infected 1 person in Upper China.

Meh, let's focus on COVID.

The Astrocracy
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 07, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Astrocracy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 pm

China is really losing in the "horrible diseases" lottery this year, isn't it?

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:39 pm

COVID-19: Here comes trouble!
Black Plague: And make it double!
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Founded: Jun 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:40 pm

alright who ate rat
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times
INT:| Canada "Gives Up" on Hiding Aliens and UFOs/ NAT:| Ravenian Astronauts That Went on the EELOO Mission Report Seeing a Mass of "Squidlike Handlike Starships"
Borb with an NS account and a crippling addiction passion to JoJo that Lives in the F7 Servers | TG’s are not for JoJo Stuff | Current Global Mood: I-is that a… | NSStats Accused of Treason to the Republic | Copper Plasma > Lasers

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:43 pm

Lol

You do all know that Bubonic plague is native to China, occurs semi-regularly, is really well understood and can be managed.

Yes it’s the plague but the hysteria is so 100 years ago

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Panther wrote:Exactly.

It pops up pretty regularly in the Southwest deserts of the US. Only remarkable because of the current pandemic.

Right, it's also present in southern Africa, South America, and North Africa (hence the setting for Camus' excellent novel The Plague).
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:54 pm

I know vintage stuff is getting popular again but dial it down a bit, folks.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

this is juuuuuust one step up from panicking about some people getting ear or sinus infections lmao

a few areas get plague cases now and then, it’s totally treatable (tho American right wing media is gonna flip its shit to try and deflect the narrative abt corona here and refocus blame on China)
Last edited by Senkaku on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Ah the plague. As much as I like the PRC I have to shake my head in disappointment at this display of poserdoom. Now we here in Europe, we were doing the bubonic plague before it was cool.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:03 pm

I still have Giant Meteor for august.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:I still have Giant Meteor for august.

August? I thought that was plague of locusts season. Or was that rain of frogs? I can't remember.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Holy Mercurian Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Mercurian Empire » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Hope we don't get MERYP out of this mess. That's the last thing the world needs.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I still have Giant Meteor for august.

August? I thought that was plague of locusts season. Or was that rain of frogs? I can't remember.

You bet your favorite, i bet mine. I wouldn’t be surprised if Paddy power did have odds.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:06 pm

Wouldn't little outbreaks like this be common each year within China, with them only getting this kind of attention now because of the ongoing pandemic?
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Panther wrote:Exactly.

Right, it's also present in southern Africa, South America, and North Africa (hence the setting for Camus' excellent novel The Plague).

I believe the groundhog population is rather well known for carrying it, and stupid tourists insist on approaching the groundhogs
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 pm

The lockdown caused rats to drastically adjust their behavior likely exposing many new people to the plague. We may well see this in other major urban areas where rats have had to adjust behavior.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

MGTOWia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby MGTOWia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:40 pm

The greatest plague on the world today is the CCP. A cure is desperately needed.
"The more money you make, the more women you should avoid." -- YouTube user Anubis_X64

"Wokeness is a disease. MGTOW is the cure."

"Love: (n) the mechanism the human species has evolved to keep males and females from killing each other long enough to produce and raise offspring."

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Hasn't this been around for basically forever since the original outbreak?
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:55 pm

Popped up in Idaho last year, too, but we'll take any excuse to go at China we can I guess
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General