NATION

PASSWORD

MineCraft

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

MineCraft

Postby SaintB » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:45 am

I recently discovered this little jewel of Indie gaming after a friend referred me to it; after which it was featured in my favorite gaming magazine. After messing with it a bit and sinking about $15 into it I really started to get addicted to this puzzle, construction, action, adventure game. Now I'm hooked; when I'm not on NSG its Minecraft, when I'm unable to get online I am scheming about new things to build or new ways to use the various features of the game to build fortifications, traps, and mazes to keep the undead from entering my fortress/mine/farm/home/etc.

The of course there is the exploring the huge random generated game worlds and fighting the various creatures in hidden dungeons around the world. Or multiplayer where you get together with friends and build entire towns and cities together... in short its the best $15 I ever spent.

Is there anyone else who has experienced MineCraft? Whats your thoughts or opinions?
Last edited by SaintB on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Vloomar
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vloomar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:08 pm

A bunch of my friends play it. But I have yet to try it out. I am reluctant to spend money on games.
Join Heavy Metal Heaven

Album currently blowing me away: Edge of Sanity - "Purgatory Afterglow"

Unity; a gathering of open wounds,
of dark... of dark clean spirits...
what a dream... what a dream so distant!
Why should I... why should I be alone
when I love... when I love my brotherhood?
Shall I die... shall I die to be free
when I cry... when I cry in silence...
so please let me die in silence...
oh my god, let me die in silence!

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:45 pm

it's so awesome i made a thread about it a few weeks ago i think.

big time sink. I'm waiting for survival multiplayer to come out, that will be fun.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:17 pm

I really like Minecraft. I should probably play it some time tonight.
Last edited by Meryuma on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Niur
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Niur » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Meryuma wrote:I really like Minecraft. I should probably play it some time tonight.

I should too. In fact I will.
"In cahuitontli ca otopan, yehuantzitzin yollochipahuac tonaz, yeceh yehuantzitzin tica imanimanmeh tlahueliloc telchihualozque. In cahuitontli ca teuctlatolli ic otopan, auh yehuan quitzacua, in neltiliztli, onyezque huetztoc!"

Offenheim
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:23 pm

I just recently remembered that I could change the settings to "Peaceful" and work on projects around the clock. No more constantly checking the sun or my watch to figure out when I could build or when I should mine.

Also, Creepers! :shakefist:
"No one has yet learned to drive a locomotive sitting in his study."
-Leon Trotsky

A Royal Fellowship of Death (WW1 RP)
-Central Urpaian Front

Weltmachtistan
Minister

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Weltmachtistan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:24 pm

I have it, it's great! :)

I just hide in my cave and never leave, because the zombies scare me... :(

Offenheim
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Has anybody built an underwater house here? They seem really cool.
-Leon Trotsky

-Central Urpaian Front

Mosois
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosois » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 pm

I read this thinking that this guy i know plays it, it's a good game.
I can't think of anything logical to say.

Disposablepuppetland
Envoy

Founded: Dec 15, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Disposablepuppetland » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 am

Minecraft is the best new game I've played in years.

Offenheim wrote:Has anybody built an underwater house here? They seem really cool.

Yeah I started building one a few days ago. I've got three rooms connected by tunnels. Unfortunately the sea isn't quite as deep as I was hoping though.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:50 am

Offenheim wrote:Has anybody built an underwater house here? They seem really cool.

my flatmate tried that and got about halfway. the technique he used was ahem not practical.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm

On a multiplayer server some friends and I are building an underwater tunnel out of glass. I spruced it up by adding some iron 'joints' to it

My current project is a statue made out of smooth stone in the middle of the ocean but I'm not going into much detail. Then I'm going to turn my island into a mote and bailey style fortress.

right now its got a ranch style house and a water mill on it, and a huge wheat farm.
Last edited by SaintB on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm

I've only played the free version, but I like it.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 pm

I played the free version, but apparently it "ain't got shit" on the newer one.
It sounds awesome, dunno if I'll get around to buying it though.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Outlying States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Outlying States » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 am

I've seen this game around the internet a lot and it seems pretty popular. I enjoy a good game, so can anyone tell me what Minecraft is about, exactly?

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Offenheim wrote:Also, Creepers! :shakefist:

I hate creepers. They always get me.

Finish a 5 story stone tower that is central to your fortress. As you climb down the stairs and exit the iron doorway... pssssst BANG

Respawn

Run back to your partially destroyed fortress in hopes of recollecting your diamond sword and armor before it can disapear... pssssst BANG

Respawn

Pssst BANG!

Respawn

etc.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Outlying States wrote:I've seen this game around the internet a lot and it seems pretty popular. I enjoy a good game, so can anyone tell me what Minecraft is about, exactly?

Its sort of Runecraftesque graphics wise. The point of the game is basically to do whatever you want. Right now the game features open randomized worlds and future updates will include NPC villages of people and goblins. (According to its wiki) The gameworld consists of 1 meter square blocks that you can destroy and put together in various ways. There are two versions; in Classic Version you can explore, and destroy and build anything you want, in Alpha (also known as Survival) you can create items as well, and you get menaced by hordes of monsters.

Here is the wiki: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page it can link you to the main site.
Last edited by SaintB on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Outlying States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Outlying States » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks, Ill have to check it out later today when I get a chance.

Offenheim
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Don't forget the nether. I haven't had diamond stuff in a while, so I haven't been able to mine obsidian at all to construct gates.
-Leon Trotsky

-Central Urpaian Front

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:55 am

Offenheim wrote:Don't forget the nether. I haven't had diamond stuff in a while, so I haven't been able to mine obsidian at all to construct gates.

I've never made it to the nether yet.

Noders
Senator

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:48 am

WOW JUST PLAYED FOR hours so addicting and fun and yea!!!!!!!!!!!! love it
Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menassa= God of the Jews
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:56 am

Noders wrote:WOW JUST PLAYED FOR hours so addicting and fun and yea!!!!!!!!!!!! love it

I played it until my JAVA started messing up.

Noders
Senator

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:12 am

SaintB wrote:
Noders wrote:WOW JUST PLAYED FOR hours so addicting and fun and yea!!!!!!!!!!!! love it

I played it until my JAVA started messing up.

lol
Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menassa= God of the Jews
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

Frozen Time
Civilian

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frozen Time » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 pm

at the moment I can't pay for Minecraft, but I do play the free version, which is just as awesome.

Offenheim
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:05 am

Frozen Time wrote:at the moment I can't pay for Minecraft, but I do play the free version, which is just as awesome.

I thought so too, but they've taken all the fun out of the free version by removing saving. Alpha is really a huge step up.
-Leon Trotsky

-Central Urpaian Front

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction