NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Reopening: A Can of Worms?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Fuentana
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Reopening: A Can of Worms?

Postby Fuentana » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:43 am

Greetings all! This is my first foray into issue writing. Let me know what you think.

[title]Reopening: A Can of Worms?

[desc]After dealing with a massive viral pandemic, @@type@@ @@region@@has seemingly flattened the curve once and for all. Representatives of various sectors of society have crashed your latest daily briefing on managing the disease, clamoring to reopen society immediately.

[option] “We desperately need to reopen our restaurants, both inside and outside,” pleads a representative of Blue Crabster. “With a rigorous system of cleaning and close control of occupancy plus our usual great care in food safety, we will feed economic recovery in no time.”
[Validity] all
[effect] The novel virus supplants hepatitis A, salmonella, and e coli as the main health threat in food service.

[option] “What about our pastimes? We can’t forego a whole season of sports! Let us play with reduced crowds. We’ll test daily for the virus and for performance-enhancing drugs,” proclaims owner Marco Honduran.”
[Validity] all
[effect] “Hail! We who are about to die salute you!” is now part of every pre-game ceremony.

[option] “Let my people go and worship!” exclaims Cardinal Tom Rolan of @@faith@@ with sacred texts in one hand and a collection basket in another. “@@Leader, we need to make tithe—err, time for God.”
[Validity] nvalid for atheism
[effect] The sign of peace becomes an exchange of express tickets to meeting one’s maker.

[option] “Liberate the people!” rants libertarian talking head Manny Quezon. “I’d rather see my country run like hell by the people than like heaven by the government. If we want to put our lives at stake, the government should completely stand aside.”
[Validity] all
[effect] Your nation’s refrain becomes “Ours is not to reason why, ours but to do or die”

[option] A local detective wearing a “World’s Best Kindergarten Teacher” badge brandishes a tear gas canister while shouting, “Silence! You lack discipline!” He turns to you “@@Leader@@, no one listens to the experts. You need someone to enforce our restrictions. Let my K unit restore the rule of law to restore society.”
[Validity] all
[effect] Kindergarteners trained in the martial arts staff neighborhood watches and prison wards.

[option] “Don’t listen to these idiots! We need to stay home and ride this out before a second wave destroys our healthcare system,” pleads Dr. Antonio Grauci. “Please, @@leader@@! Keep restrictions in place until we have tested drugs and vaccines.”
[Validity] all
[effect] The nation waits for a groundhog named after Dr. Grauci signals the end of sheltering in place.

[option] A charming but somewhat mechanical figure named Bishop gently suggests, “Why undergo the risk? You can reopen society quite safely if you staff all essential industries with humanoids.”
[Validity] invalid for those prohibiting AI personhood
[effect] Job advertisements emphasize the droids they’re looking for.
Fuentana
Poet Laureate of Haiku, The West Pacific

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:07 am

Sedgistan wrote:Anyone remember when we used to post these?

Got Issues Update no.7
  • I'll cover this one off quickly - we're not accepting any Coronavirus/Pandemic related issues for the time being. Please don't submit them. There is likely to be a chain based off it in the future, but that's next year at the soonest once things have returned to normality. Now is not the time.
Not to discourage your future endeavors but no pandemic issues are being accepted right now.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:19 am

As Noah said, forget about submitting this any time soon. RE next year's pandemic issue chain: at least one chain issue ("The Enemy Within: Gimme Some Truth") is awarded to nations AFTER the end of the main chain. You might want to revisit this from that angle if/when we know for certain that the pandemic chain doesn't have anything about life after the outbreak.

If you do choose to revisit this (which might have to be in a couple of years), you have fallen into the classic trap of beginning your effect lines with capital letters, ending them with full stops, and including a few commas in the middle. You have four options saying "lift restrictions," two saying "enforce restrictions" and one saying "robots don't need restrictions;" are you sure you need(ed) so many options?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Fuentana
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fuentana » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:37 am

Tinhampton wrote:As Noah said, forget about submitting this any time soon. RE next year's pandemic issue chain: at least one chain issue ("The Enemy Within: Gimme Some Truth") is awarded to nations AFTER the end of the main chain. You might want to revisit this from that angle if/when we know for certain that the pandemic chain doesn't have anything about life after the outbreak.

If you do choose to revisit this (which might have to be in a couple of years), you have fallen into the classic trap of beginning your effect lines with capital letters, ending them with full stops, and including a few commas in the middle. You have four options saying "lift restrictions," two saying "enforce restrictions" and one saying "robots don't need restrictions;" are you sure you need(ed) so many options?
Noahs Second Country wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Anyone remember when we used to post these?

Got Issues Update no.7
  • I'll cover this one off quickly - we're not accepting any Coronavirus/Pandemic related issues for the time being. Please don't submit them. There is likely to be a chain based off it in the future, but that's next year at the soonest once things have returned to normality. Now is not the time.
Not to discourage your future endeavors but no pandemic issues are being accepted right now.

Thank you! I hadn't noticed that COVID related issues are not being accepted. Sorry.

Though it is a moot point, I started with a wide variety of options for fun and for realism. It wouldn't be a problem whittling them down a bit more.

The formatting points are noted and I will keep that in mind with future issue submissions.

Thank you for the feedback and info!
Fuentana
Poet Laureate of Haiku, The West Pacific

Return to Got Issues?