NATION

PASSWORD

A Meeting under Moon and Stars (Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kyrenaia
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 pm

Astares Amauricanum wrote:Empress Anna Blachkor with Princess Aurelia bint Damir
"Indeed, a whole lot worse, replies the Empress on a neutral tone. You'll understand that I can't go into specifics with you though.
But you're right, let's switch to a happier topic, continues Anna with a smile. Tell me, have you heard of the Jaldascor?"

The Morozovs with Princess Fara.
As Fara speaks, Pavel takes the new glass in his hand, thanking the Handmaiden with a nod.
"Right, an order of precedence, he replies as he takes a sip of his water. Please excuse my wife for not having mentioned it. Sometimes people find our titles difficult enough, so they don't always care about the order of precedence.
Anyway, one important thing to note is that some titles she mentioned do not refer specifically to the job, but rather are a mark of importance, like Your Excellency and such. That is the case for the Patrici Styresman or the Hoyt Silvis

So, first, we have the Forst Scritor, the First Secretary, William Raven, head of the Cabinet. Another title Forst Scritors had in the past were also Varformat Keisaer, or Vice-Emperor, although this title is rarely used nowadays.
Next, the Kesaerlig Scritors and Scritoras.
Below that, at the same level, the Kesarlig Forande and the Rikssjori, singular Rikssjor, the state governors.
Then, each Rikssjor is helped by a number of Fulltroikars, singular Fulltroikar, who serve as local ministers in his cabinet. Although Fulltroikar can be more acurately translated as "High Deputies".
Back to the federal level, we have the Represae, the representatives; the Forstan, singular Forsta, the senators.
And finally, the CountyMast or CityMast, the County Mayor or City Mayor, sorted by the size of their community."

Emperor Adrean with Damir and Abbas.
"I understand, replies the Emperor with a nod. Just so you know, in the Empire, a majority of citizens, including myself, have a palatability for both musical and non-musical displays. We consider the non-musical ones as a demonstration of pure aerial skills.
But we also like what we pilots call among ourselves the Ballett, or Ballet. In this case, the pilots are not meant to only show their skills, but to... how can I explain that... to link their skills with the music. As both of you surely know, we are called Salvos, Familej et Sang Mensker, or the People of Survival, Family and Song. Music and singing have always been a great part of our culture, so if this type of event wasn't at least a bit musical, it would not really fit for us Astarians. So that's why we have both type of aerial displays.
Now, to come back to this afternoon, if I chose to present it to you, it was not because I thought it was very well prepared or anything like that, but because this specific display holds a special place in here." continues Adrean as he points to his heart.
"Around ten years ago, my friends here, my wife and I were finally done with our pilot's training, after the Civil War and all, and so, we decided to prepare a small Vinterfestum gift for my father, who was a big fan of musical aerial displays. So, what we did was that we chose his three favourite songs, we talked with the Silver Ridarrar, or Silver Knights, the Imperial Guard jet demonstration squadron, and we chose a set of forms that would go well with the songs.
But as were getting ready for Vinterfestum 2010, on November 30th, my dad was killed in Nigeria during an economic summit. You know the rest, me getting crowned on December 15th, yadda yadda... And so, since this day, my friends and I present this specific display on June 14th, my dad's birthday, and sometimes on June 15th, our National Day. I hope you understand better now."
As he finishes that, a small tear rolls down the right cheek of the Emperor, btu his face is still smiling and happy.

The Petrenkos, with Elian and Razia.
"Huh huh, says Patricia with a nod as she and her husband take a closer look at the figurine. That's more or lesss the case with the Snow Badger, continues the female Petrenko, they are very aware of their young, but they are also a lot bigger than these Tines. Most specimens are around two to three meters in length, and some past recording even mention one or two that were nearly four meters and a half long. Theere were plentiful in the North regions in the past, but due to intensive hunting in the 19th century to ensure the prosperity of the communities living in those regions, their numbers dwindled.
-Nowadays though, continues Yuri, something strange happened: after the Snow Badger hunting was heavly regulated in the 1930s, people hunted them much less, and it created a sort of mutual respect between the two species. Snow Badgers have become less threatening, and are even known to sometimes point northern people towards sources of food and such. In exchange, the local inhabitants do not overstep the boundaries of their territory, and only hunt those identifed as weak or too old."

Vinterfestum is a traditional holiday on the 25th of December, where families gather together around a feast to celebrate the end of the year, the end of the decreasing daylight, and where gifts are exchanged.

OOC-Note: Quote modified by removal of spoiler-tags.

Princess Aurelia bint-Damir.
Salon, Bridge Deck, Yacht Aurelia.

I did not need her to go into specifics.
I knew of a disaster relief exercise of a pandemic of some flu or the other sweeping over Kyrenaia, a country of 539 million people, including the colonies, with disastrous effects depending on the government reaction.
If, for example, the Sultan went and said "Humbug!", hundreds of thousands of people could die in the worst case scenarios. Back in the day, I had been a part of the Hammam Advisory Council of the Sultana, a top-secret group of people, who officially did not advise the Sultana.
Granted, a flu was not a bioweapon, but it went into that direction.
But on to happier topics: "If I remember correctly, the Jaldascor was some sort of ceremony, right?", I asked - and for all I knew, it could be certain brand of pudding, I had literally no idea and was guessing.

Princess Fara bint-Dardan.

"That all sounds quite familiar.", I said with a smile, "Especially sorting the mayors by the size of their communities is a familiar thing... it seems to be almost universal." I let a beat pass. "I must admit, I sometimes envy the Selkie: They have their Elders, their mayors of the cities, the mayors of the towns and villages, the Clan-Heads like Mistress Cathlong, the High Priests and High Priestesses and the heads of the many Guilds, which still exist - and no one knows, where who is in any order of precedence with one exception: When an Elder speaks, one shuts the cake-entrance hole and listens."
I rubbed the back of my head.
"Something, I, too, hat to learn.", I added with a grin at that particular memory, "Believe me, old sods they might be, but they have a lot of experience punching misbehaving youth up the head."

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.

I noticed the tear, took out a tissue and handed it to the other man - tears, in our culture, were not a sign of weakness, but he might wanted to wipe it away.
"A tragic story.", I commented with a nod, "It reminds me a bit of a story Amina, Amina bint-Karim, the Khana of Sheliak and a distant cousin of mine, once told me. Her father, Karim ibn-Tarek was a huge fan of air racing and in 2012, with the economy and especially tourism industry of Sheliak in a huge upswing, he finally managed to fulfill his long-time dream: The Oea Air Race. Unfortunately, a month before the first race, he died of a sudden heart attack. Amina ascended to the throne and had the air race being hosted, herself opening it... and, to her and the audience's surprise, the pilots formed up before the race, already in the air, in a formation known as tayar aljanah almafqud. You might call it the Kyrenaian Version of the Missing Man Formation."
I smiled.
"Karim-Khan was a good man. A bit old-fashioned, when it came to economic thinking, but a good man.", I said, nodded.
Abbas listened with interest.

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

"Interesting.", I said, "Are you sure, that such stories are not simple coincidences, like when a desert mouse 'shows' water to travelers?"
Razia nodded. "Find a Desert Mouse and you find water.", she spoke in Kyrenaian, then repeated it in English before adding: "An old saying of the Badawi. My Sergeant during my Service was one, he had a whole book of wisdoms and saying for every opportunity."
I nodded. "And he most likely knew more, too.", I said, then nodded to the Petrenkos, "Either way, let's leave it as a case for the behaviourists. In the meantime, do you collect anything?"
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 am

Empress Anna Blachkor with Princess Aurelia bint Damir
When Aurelia answers, the Empress feels a snort coming up, but manages to hide it with a few coughs.
"Not exactly, she replies with a pleasant smile as she down the rest of her flute, before putting it away on the table. The Jaldascor is the name of a special type of cavalry we have been using, it can be translated as Mounted Crossbows.
In the beginning, it started as just three cavalry squadrons under the direct command of the Emperor, and those three cavalry units would soon give birth to the first three divisions of the Imperial Guard. They would perform reconnaissance, as well as harassing the enemy on the battlefield, destorying them from afar with their special crossbows, which we called at the time Smerta, or Pain. Their particularity was that the rope was made both out of plants and wood fibers, but also bison and horses nerves. This gave the final rope more elasticity and projecting power, allowing the bolt to fly farther."
As she says that, the Empress takes her smartphone out of her handbag, and shows the Princess a picture.
"This is a Smerta. The effective range was between 350 and 400 meters, and up to 520 meters when used in parabolic shots. They would continue to be used until the 15th century, when they would be replaced by the Agonia, or Agony."
She shows another picture to the Princess.
"This one had the advantage to be foldable, although it was slightly bigger than the Smerta. The range was more or less the same, but she had better accuracy.
And nowadays, even though they have transitioned from mounted crossbows to light tanks and APCs, the units still bear the name.

"Anyway", continues the Empress, "if I asked you if you knew about the term, it's because that aside from being a type of cavalry, the Jaldascor has also made its way to schools, where many clubs arose throughout the centuries. And as you may guess, there was such a club in the Imperial Educational Center, the school complex of the Imperial Compound, where my husband, my friend and I all went."
She swipes her smartphone's screen, showing now another picture, where two groups of teenagers can be seen on horseback. all of them are wearing an armor made of plates, worn over a green padded tunic, their arms protected by vambraces, and boots with greaves. In their laps lay a helmet and an Agony crossbow, while a sword and dagger are strapped to their hips. And finally, on the left side of the saddle, a bolt quiver.
On the picture, the two teenagers at the center of the image, which one would recognize as a younger version of the Empress and of Yuri Petrenko, are holding a golden goblet.
"2005, Imperial Jaldascor School Trophy, won for the fourth time in a row by the Solvorn Eskadron. Just like for you, there were rumors that we always managed the 5-500, but it was not the case.
So, what do you think?" finishes the Empress with a smile. "I hope I didn't sound too scholar or pretentious."

When Fara says the world "cake-entrance hole", Alicia can't help but laugh a bit.
"Sorry Princess, but whenever I hear that word, I always laugh. Anyway, I hope we won't have that problem if we ever visit the Free Lands." adds the Grand Duchess, with her husband nodding in approval.
-Say, Princess, continues Pavel, how would you describe the relation between the Sultanate and the Free Lands? We've heard that it goes back a long time, but we have yet to understand how deep it is."

The Emperor accepts the tissue with a nod of thanks, and wipes his eye and cheek before putting it in one of his pants pockets.
At least Karim Khan's body wasn't torn to pieces when he died, thinks Adrean grimly, comparing it to his father's death.
"A good man, just like my old man, he replies with a sad smile. I always feel that Dad was also old-fashioned too, especially in the reforms he wanted to apply to the Empire.
Anyway, the Missing Man Formation you said? We also have something similar in the Empire, called the Saknentis Memoriae. For my father's birthday it's usually my grandfather and his three wingmates who perform it on their P-38 Fulmen, one of the planes they flew during WWII."
As he finishes his sentence, a police siren sound is heard coming from Adrean's vest, causing the Emperor to put his right hand in it and getting his smartphone out. After seeing the message he received, he types a quick answer, before putting it back inside. After that, for a few seconds, his face harbors a very pensive look, as if he was considering if he should talk or not.
"Prince", he suddenly says as he turns back to Damir," May I speak to you about something in private?" asks Adrean with a very serious expression and tone.

"Some people thought too that it was just a set of coincidences, replies Yuri to Elian, but in 1895, my great-great grand uncle, who was a zoologist specialized in artic animals, oversaw a vast study about the Snow Badgers, or Nix Grevling in Astarian. And the study confirmed that this wasa real behavior, not a mere coincidence. I'll have a copy of the study prepared for you.
-As for us collecting anything, continues Patricia, I indeed collect various figurines representing canine or foxes. It's one of my passions. As for my husband, he collects...well...
-Come on, you can say it Honey, replies Yurias he smiles to his wife before turning back to the Kyrenaian couple. When I was a kid, I collected soda and beer cans, of various brands. But nowadays, I like more small military vehicles models, especially tanks. And also, like most of my friends, guns. And you?"
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats
Change rate: 1 Imperial Covin = 1.86 NSD

Member of: GFTC, IPDA, WHO
A 15.833 civilization, according to this index.
A 1.1428 civilization, according to this one
Nation ranked 8/10 according to this scale

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:32 am

Astares Amauricanum wrote:Empress Anna Blachkor with Princess Aurelia bint Damir
When Aurelia answers, the Empress feels a snort coming up, but manages to hide it with a few coughs.
"Not exactly, she replies with a pleasant smile as she down the rest of her flute, before putting it away on the table. The Jaldascor is the name of a special type of cavalry we have been using, it can be translated as Mounted Crossbows.
In the beginning, it started as just three cavalry squadrons under the direct command of the Emperor, and those three cavalry units would soon give birth to the first three divisions of the Imperial Guard. They would perform reconnaissance, as well as harassing the enemy on the battlefield, destorying them from afar with their special crossbows, which we called at the time Smerta, or Pain. Their particularity was that the rope was made both out of plants and wood fibers, but also bison and horses nerves. This gave the final rope more elasticity and projecting power, allowing the bolt to fly farther."
As she says that, the Empress takes her smartphone out of her handbag, and shows the Princess a picture.
"This is a Smerta. The effective range was between 350 and 400 meters, and up to 520 meters when used in parabolic shots. They would continue to be used until the 15th century, when they would be replaced by the Agonia, or Agony."
She shows another picture to the Princess.
"This one had the advantage to be foldable, although it was slightly bigger than the Smerta. The range was more or less the same, but she had better accuracy.
And nowadays, even though they have transitioned from mounted crossbows to light tanks and APCs, the units still bear the name.

"Anyway", continues the Empress, "if I asked you if you knew about the term, it's because that aside from being a type of cavalry, the Jaldascor has also made its way to schools, where many clubs arose throughout the centuries. And as you may guess, there was such a club in the Imperial Educational Center, the school complex of the Imperial Compound, where my husband, my friend and I all went."
She swipes her smartphone's screen, showing now another picture, where two groups of teenagers can be seen on horseback. all of them are wearing an armor made of plates, worn over a green padded tunic, their arms protected by vambraces, and boots with greaves. In their laps lay a helmet and an Agony crossbow, while a sword and dagger are strapped to their hips. And finally, on the left side of the saddle, a bolt quiver.
On the picture, the two teenagers at the center of the image, which one would recognize as a younger version of the Empress and of Yuri Petrenko, are holding a golden goblet.
"2005, Imperial Jaldascor School Trophy, won for the fourth time in a row by the Solvorn Eskadron. Just like for you, there were rumors that we always managed the 5-500, but it was not the case.
So, what do you think?" finishes the Empress with a smile. "I hope I didn't sound too scholar or pretentious."

When Fara says the world "cake-entrance hole", Alicia can't help but laugh a bit.
"Sorry Princess, but whenever I hear that word, I always laugh. Anyway, I hope we won't have that problem if we ever visit the Free Lands." adds the Grand Duchess, with her husband nodding in approval.
-Say, Princess, continues Pavel, how would you describe the relation between the Sultanate and the Free Lands? We've heard that it goes back a long time, but we have yet to understand how deep it is."

The Emperor accepts the tissue with a nod of thanks, and wipes his eye and cheek before putting it in one of his pants pockets.
At least Karim Khan's body wasn't torn to pieces when he died, thinks Adrean grimly, comparing it to his father's death.
"A good man, just like my old man, he replies with a sad smile. I always feel that Dad was also old-fashioned too, especially in the reforms he wanted to apply to the Empire.
Anyway, the Missing Man Formation you said? We also have something similar in the Empire, called the Saknentis Memoriae. For my father's birthday it's usually my grandfather and his three wingmates who perform it on their P-38 Fulmen, one of the planes they flew during WWII."
As he finishes his sentence, a police siren sound is heard coming from Adrean's vest, causing the Emperor to put his right hand in it and getting his smartphone out. After seeing the message he received, he types a quick answer, before putting it back inside. After that, for a few seconds, his face harbors a very pensive look, as if he was considering if he should talk or not.
"Prince", he suddenly says as he turns back to Damir," May I speak to you about something in private?" asks Adrean with a very serious expression and tone.

"Some people thought too that it was just a set of coincidences, replies Yuri to Elian, but in 1895, my great-great grand uncle, who was a zoologist specialized in artic animals, oversaw a vast study about the Snow Badgers, or Nix Grevling in Astarian. And the study confirmed that this wasa real behavior, not a mere coincidence. I'll have a copy of the study prepared for you.
-As for us collecting anything, continues Patricia, I indeed collect various figurines representing canine or foxes. It's one of my passions. As for my husband, he collects...well...
-Come on, you can say it Honey, replies Yurias he smiles to his wife before turning back to the Kyrenaian couple. When I was a kid, I collected soda and beer cans, of various brands. But nowadays, I like more small military vehicles models, especially tanks. And also, like most of my friends, guns. And you?"

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.

I raised an eyebrow slightly at the mobile phone, smartphone or whatever going off, just a smidgen, but while that was not exactly the politest of things to do - he was in conversation, after all - I understood it. After all, he was a Head of State and Mother had, often enough, been called away by business, although her way was a bit more elegant.
A Handmaiden whispering into her ear was something one could arrange for beforehand, to cut unpleasant conversations short, too...
In any case, my eyebrow went fully up, when he requested to speak me among the two of us.
"Well, then, off we go.", I said and turned to the third wheel, "Abbas, our apologies."
I spoke for the other man as well, hoping, that he would not hold it against me. It was not completely polite to speak in his name, but it was also not really polite to leave the good man standing without a word.
"It's alright. I do hope, that we continue the conversation sometime else.", he said and nodded to Adrean.
I nodded and motioned for the other man to follow me. I chose a way around the sitting group, that led me past Aurelia and Empress Anna, nodding to both of them, squeezing Aurelia's arm.
And then, we had left the salon. Tara followed us in a respectful distance.
I turned towards the stern, towards where the Owner's Suites were, in particular towards Suite A, mine. Aurelia's was right opposite.
Entering it, one was immediately in the living room, a large windowfront opposite to one, doors leading off into the rooms along the walls, including to my bedroom. That was all of little interest, though, for now. In the center of the room was a low table, soft cushions to either side, which I approached and sat down on cross-legged. Even in the suit, that was quite easy to me.
I motioned for Adrean to sit opposite to me and nodded to Tara.
The Handmaiden went about preparing a pair of cups and a small tea pot.
"So... what is it, which you want to discuss?", I asked with a professional smile.

When Adrean's mobile went off, I glanced over and was about to reply to Anna, when Dad led him along past me and Anna, squeezing my arm. I flashed him a brilliant smile, which made him quite happy before he left to part unknown.
It even made me forget, that Anna had hid a laugh or a snort behind coughs - I knew that, because I had been in the same situation and, as much as it pained me to admit, I had not always have had the same amount of self-control.
"Very interesting.", I said, "So a bit like the Younger Militia Mounted Crossbows, only with the difference, that they are mandatory and the Yaldaskor being voluntary." I smiled. "Although the Younger Militias compete often enough among themselves, including in mounted crossbow-usage. I must admit, though, that the bow is more my thing then crossbows, be it yours or ours."
I looked at the images again.
"I would still love to try out one of these... Agony-Crossbows, you said their name was?", I said and pondered something. "Though they do look a bit fragile..."

The term cake-entrance hole seemed to be quite well-received, but before I could reply with a reply to their inquiry, Adrean's phone went off, drawing my attention for a moment.
Seeing, that it was not something big the kind of which made him say "Okay, listen up, everyone...", I turned back to the Morozovs.
"Well, relationship between the Free Lands and the Sultanate...", I said and pondered for a moment, "I could my life easy and say, 'Look at Aurelia and ask again!', but that'd be cheap... and not the complete picture. Fact is, the relationship is marked by huge amounts of respect for the other. Many Selkie live in... Hello, Abbas."
My boyfriend joined our little group, a sheepish smile on his lips. "Hi, Fara. Your Excellencies.", he added with a nod to the two. "Would you mind me joining you three?"
"Absolutely not.", I said and watched as he sat down. "We were just discussing the relation between the Free Lands and Kyrenaia." As he sat, I moved over to his side and smiled, as he put an arm around my shoulder. "You have quite an interesting perspective on that, too."
He nodded. "Indeed I do.", he said, then explained, "My Carrier Air Wing has several pilots, who are Kyrenaian Selkie. Formidable pilots, the lot of them, but, to be honest... a bit mad as well."
I laughed.

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

Well, collecting Guns made them sound like a bunch of Lillos, but to each their own.
Razia looked to me and smiled, leaving me to introduce my collecting passion first: "Monster Battle!-cards.", I said and shrugged, "Granted, the cards are only available for... five years now in Kyrenaia and I had started my collection with Horain and Zaijian Cards way back when, but I do like it - and it is an impressive collection, if I do say so myself."
I looked to Razia.
"Voice recordings.", she simply said.
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:52 am

Emperor Adrean Blachkor
When Damir apologized to Abbas in both of their names, Adrean didn't mind at all.
"Don't worry, we'll continue this conversation Commander, he replies to Abbas as he salutes him militarily with a smile. See you later."
With that said, he follows Damir, who passes by Aurelia and Anna, the Emperor exchanging a nod with the Princess, and a quick peck on the lips with his wife.
Once they have reached the Prince's Suite, he sits across from Damir on the cushions, before taking his peaked cap off and putting it on the table.
"Well, replies Adrean with a serious tone, and his face showing a bit of apprehension as well, I would like to discuss two things, one personal, that has been on my mind for a few days now, and one less personal, that I was just made aware off. If you don't mind, I'd like to start with the personal one first.
But before all that, can you assure me that what we'll talk about now will not leave this room?" finishes the Emperor, throwing a questioning sideway glance towards Tara.

Empress Anna Blachkor
When her husband's phone goes off, Anna recognizes the ringtone, and deduces who sent the message to Adrean. A good thing that he assigns a special ringtone to every contact, thinks the Empress for a second., before exchanging a peck on the lips with her husband as he passes by.
"Indeed, a bit like the Younger Militias, she replies with a smile as she refocuses her attention on Aurelia. As for trying out an Agony-Crossbow, of course, you'll get to do it tomorrow if you want. As for their supposed fragility, don't let that fool you."
Although the Empress wanted to say that a special Agony has been made as a gift jst for Aurelia, she did not spoiled the surprise.

Pavel and Alicia Morozov.
"Interesting, replies Alicia, just before Abbas joins the group. Lieutenant Commander, greet the two Morozovs with a nod and a smile.
Anyway, continues the Grand Duchess, I understand that the respect between the Free Lands and you must be very deep indeed, considering that the relation seems to go a long way back. Although Commander Shabaaltay, what sort of craziness do you mean?
-Come on Honey, says Pavel, we've seen that among pilots, Naval Aviators are crazy in their own way. Tthat means we should be a bit too, he adds with a chuckle.
-Yeah, maybe, replies Alicia as she takes a sip of her flute. That aside Commander, please excuse Adrean for going away, but we know that he has had something on his mind for a few days now, and he needs to talk about it with the Prince.
-Yup, continues Pavel, but I wonder what Corey wanted, says the blonde man as he stroes his chin. Captain Corey Herzog is one of our friends at the Columbia District Metropolitan Police Department, he adds towards the two Kyrenaians.

Yuri and Patricia Petrenko.
"Oh cards? asks Patricia with a surprised, but pleasant smile. I know a few of my squadmates were huge fans of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Ooh cards when we were little, they still have them to this day, although they don't add new ones anymore.
-Indeed, continues Yuri. As for Voice recordings, do you have a special genre you prefer, Miss Wasima?"
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:36 am

Astares Amauricanum wrote:Emperor Adrean Blachkor
When Damir apologized to Abbas in both of their names, Adrean didn't mind at all.
"Don't worry, we'll continue this conversation Commander, he replies to Abbas as he salutes him militarily with a smile. See you later."
With that said, he follows Damir, who passes by Aurelia and Anna, the Emperor exchanging a nod with the Princess, and a quick peck on the lips with his wife.
Once they have reached the Prince's Suite, he sits across from Damir on the cushions, before taking his peaked cap off and putting it on the table.
"Well, replies Adrean with a serious tone, and his face showing a bit of apprehension as well, I would like to discuss two things, one personal, that has been on my mind for a few days now, and one less personal, that I was just made aware off. If you don't mind, I'd like to start with the personal one first.
But before all that, can you assure me that what we'll talk about now will not leave this room?" finishes the Emperor, throwing a questioning sideway glance towards Tara.

Empress Anna Blachkor
When her husband's phone goes off, Anna recognizes the ringtone, and deduces who sent the message to Adrean. A good thing that he assigns a special ringtone to every contact, thinks the Empress for a second., before exchanging a peck on the lips with her husband as he passes by.
"Indeed, a bit like the Younger Militias, she replies with a smile as she refocuses her attention on Aurelia. As for trying out an Agony-Crossbow, of course, you'll get to do it tomorrow if you want. As for their supposed fragility, don't let that fool you."
Although the Empress wanted to say that a special Agony has been made as a gift jst for Aurelia, she did not spoiled the surprise.

"Interesting, replies Alicia, just before Abbas joins the group. Lieutenant Commander, greet the two Morozovs with a nod and a smile.
Anyway, continues the Grand Duchess, I understand that the respect between the Free Lands and you must be very deep indeed, considering that the relation seems to go a long way back. Although Commander Shabaaltay, what sort of craziness do you mean?
-Come on Honey, says Pavel, we've seen that among pilots, Naval Aviators are crazy in their own way. Tthat means we should be a bit too, he adds with a chuckle.
-Yeah, maybe, replies Alicia as she takes a sip of her flute. That aside Commander, please excuse Adrean for going away, but we know that he has had something on his mind for a few days now, and he needs to talk about it with the Prince.
-Yup, continues Pavel, but I wonder what Corey wanted, says the blonde man as he stroes his chin. Captain Corey Herzog is one of our friends at the Columbia District Metropolitan Police Department, he adds towards the two Kyrenaians.

"Oh cards? asks Patricia with a surprised, but pleasant smile. I know a few of my squadmates were huge fans of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Ooh cards when we were little, they still have them to this day, although they don't add new ones anymore.
-Indeed, continues Yuri. As for Voice recordings, do you have a special genre you prefer, Miss Wasima?"

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.
Living Room of Owner Suite A, Bridge Deck, Yacht Aurelia.

I was almost insulted and I knew, that Tara was as well. Almost.
The usual cliche now was to talk about how much I trusted that woman, examplifying it with plenty of occasions, including the fact, that Tara had frequently watched Aurelia until Sarina was ready to take on her duties in full, and that I had known Tara since I had been in puberty.
Instead, I opted to say simply: "I trust her."
I leaned back.
"Though a little piece of advice from someone, who is in this circus a little bit longer then you are and has collected quite a few experiences more.", I added, "Always presume, that anything said between two persons like the two of us can, and in many cases will, be reported to the own intelligence services. People like the two of us do not have the luxury of sharing secrets, when political decisions maybe affecting millions, if not billions of people are on the line."
I let a few beats pass, in order to let the message sink in.
In that time, Tara served us tea, Maramia or sage tea, which was a very healthy stuff. I bowed my head to her in silent gratitude, smiling. She returned the gesture and went into a waiting position by the kitchenette.
"So...", I said and took the cup, as well as a sip. "...good stuff. You were saying?"

"An old ground rule, which the Training Sergeant with the Ubhchruth Middle School Younger Militia always used, was: If you can bash it over someone's armoured head with enough force to break that head open like a ripe watermelon and then can still use it in its intended role, it's not a fragile weapon.", I told Anna, then shrugged. "Granted, that guy was formerly SDF and lost an eye in Kupandukira, so he has experience, but that might not have been the best ground rule to teach to a bunch of girls of eleven Springs."
I smiled, a bit lost in the memories.
"Still...", I said and looked at Anna, "Can I bash an Agony Crossbow over someone's armoured head, break it open like a ripe watermelon and still fire a bolt at a target?"
The smile, which I showed, might unsettle some people.

Ignoring the comment about a Corey, most likely the guy, who called Adrean, my boyfriend waved his hand. "It's alright. He is the Head of State and thus must be reachable.", he said, looked to me, "I usually know that in the form of Handmaidens approaching and whispering into someone's ear."
I nodded. "Mother and Father are experts in that.", I said, "And in dodging that, too."
Abbas nodded with a small grin.
"In any case...", Abbas continued, looking at the Morozovs again, "I am afraid, that craziness of aviators of the Imperial Navy and of the Sultan's Navy can not be compared - that is less about the degree of craziness, if you will, and more about the way, said craziness is expressed."

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

Razia smiled.
"I believe, you misunderstand me slightly.", she said, "When I say voice recordings, I mean not only music. I mean speeches, personal messages and conversations, in two cases also snoring... of course, everything recorded with consent." She let a beat pass. "Of course, quite a bit of music is among it, too, but less professional studio recordings and more impromptu singing. My whole pride and joy is a recording a certain Prince..." She looked to me with a huge grin, which I returned with interest. "...his sister and their mother reading a famous scenes from a Kyrenaian theater play with each one having one of the distinctive roles."
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:29 am

Adrean Blachkor
"Very well," replies the Emperor to Damir saying he trusts his Handmaiden. "I know the question may have sound insulting, and I would like to apologize to both of you," he says with a nod to the Prince and his Handmaiden, "but I've asked this questions many times in the past in situations like these, and you have no idea how many times my interlocutors didn't answered right away like you did, instead hesitating for some time before asking the others to wait outside. So you answering right away is enough for me." finishes the Emperor as he lays back in his cushions, before taking a deep breath, and looking outside through the window for a second or two.
"About reporting conversations between persons like us to our intelligence services Prince, I respect your experience, but this particular rule, I learned it from day one. It was the second thing my grandfather Peter told my wife and I when we stepped on the throne. Don't worry though, adds Adrean with a small chuckle, this personal thing is not something political that will affect millions of people. But feel free to report it to the Chandshar nonetheless."
While letting a beat pass, the tea is served, the Emperor thanking Tara with a nod and a smile before taking a sniff of the aroma.
"Aaah, sage tea, my grandmother's favourite, says the Emperor with a large smile and a clear tone of nostalgia in his voice. She made me lots of it when I was visiting in Pertingen when I was a kid, especially in the winter, he says to the Prince, before taking a sip. Yeah, good stuff indeed." he adds before taking anothe sip, and putting down his cup for now.

After a few beats have passed in silence, the Emperor looking down at the table, his fingers crossed, his forehead resting on his thumbs, a sigh escapes from his lips and he looks back up to Damir with a very serious look in his eyes, where one might as well discern some apprehension.
"For a week now, strange dreams have visited my nights, he starts to explain. They're all different each night, but they are all a part of the same story.
Now, imagine that in place of the Empire, exists another Empire, but named "Empire of the Scarlet Eagle", founded by Viking discoverers, but a bit later than our own, at the time of Leif Erickson's expedition. The Scarlet Eagle is nearly 100% similar to Astares. My Personal Guards are all the same, Anna is there too, and although the Emperor looks exactly like me, and has more or less the same background, his name is not Adrean Blachkor, but Anaximander Blachkov."
With the main setting of his dreams now exposed, Adrean lets a beat pass and takes a sip of his tea.
"Now, let's go back in March 2018, the Va'a Mamao incident. Instead of real life, where the Empire said nothing except "Bring our citizens back", the Scarlet Eagle instead sends a strong message of dissaproval, by the Foreign Secretary Andrei Raskievitch. From what I saw in my dreams, he descends from Jewish immigrants who fled the pogroms in Eastern Europe at the start of the 20th century.
In any case, following this message, denial by the Sultanate, etc, follows a period of sabre rattling and a diplomatic ice age between you and the Scarlet Eagle. A situation that would stay the same until May 2018, where at a royal wedding in Camelone, you would meet with Mr Raskievitch, and you would extend an invitation for a State Visit to the Sultanate for July of the same year.
Now, I won't bother you with the many details I've seen, but the main thing to remember is that, both during the State Visit to the Sultanate in July and the return visit in February 2019, the behaviour of Anaximander and some other Scarlet Americans would be to always try and impress you and your people. However, their method to do that would not be, for example, to reveal a special sculpture made in your honor, a grand speech, etc. No, their methods would be more akin to a 9-year old child asking: "Please watch me and be impressed! Please please please please please!". This kind of thing.
The main example I have in mind, would be during the return visit, where you, your daughter, Princess Fara and Admiral Abbas Lahia would have come aboard your other yacht, the Alshaahin. To summarize, Anaximander and his Personal Guard would have conducted a pseudo-search aboard, arriving by helicopter, fast-roping, etc. Since for who knows why, Pavel would have had a personal vendetta against you, you would have ended up on the ground, your hands tied behind your back; and worst of all, your daughter, Princess Aurelia, who among the Kyrenaians, would have been one of the friendliest people with the Scarlets, would have been searched and her breasts touched in the process."
As he finishes his phrase, the Emperor facepalms.
"Urgh, he groans, I think you'll agree with me, this is not how you do diplomacy, or try to impress someone. If I remember well, your former Grand-Vizier, Mr al-Zahir, said one that what really defines the power you hold is not defined by you, but by the others acknowledging said power. And in that dream, it was the complete opposite."

As he lets a few beats pass, Adrean rises from the cushions, and walks towards the window, where he stops and looks outside for a few moments, his hands behind his back.
"Look Prince Damir, he continues as he turns back towards his host, I know that I'm not like this Anaximander, in the diplomatic sense at least. I would never act like he did. When I talked about this series of dreams with my family, friends, advisors, etc; most of them told me the same thing: "Don't fret about it, it's just a bad dream, everyone knows you're not like that." But deep down, I feel it's still eating at me, always making me question if I could have evolved like that, and where would we be now with that kind of attitude.
So, that's why I felt I had to talk to you about it tonight. I know it must sound ridiculous to you that I'm so worried about just a dream, hell even I chastise myself mentally for that. But I've got to ask, what do you think about it?" finishes the Emperor with a tone of worry, as he goes back to the cushions, sits and downs the rest of his tea in one go.

Anna Blachkor
Aurelia's smile might unsettle some people, but the Empress was not one of them. In fact, Anna's side activities had made her witness such acts over the years, and even partake in some.
So, it is with the same smile, and a special fire in her eyes, that Adrean's wife replies to Aurelia.
"I've only got one answer, Aurelia-Amira: yes. And if I may add, I have a video to back that fact up. If you agree, I'll show it to you after dinner. Showing it now might not be a good thing don't you think?"

Pavel and Alicia Morozov
"Well then, Lieutenant Commander, care to enlighten on how you express said craziness in the Sultan's Navy?" asks Alicia with a smile.

Yuri and Patricia Petrenko
"Don't worry, I didn't misunderstand you Miss Wasima, replies Yuri with a smile; that's what I was asking, if you were preferring music, speeches, etc. I should have been more precise, sorry for that. And as you may guess, we have quite a few in the Empire, from speeches to speeches to... speeches..."
-You're such a dork, sasy Patricia in Astarian with a small laugh to her husband, before turning back to the Kyrenaians. That joke aside, my husband wasn't lying, we have a lot of recording in various subjects, made by different persons. Do you want a special type or rank of person, or anyone would suffice?"
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:36 am

Astares Amauricanum wrote:Adrean Blachkor
"Very well," replies the Emperor to Damir saying he trusts his Handmaiden. "I know the question may have sound insulting, and I would like to apologize to both of you," he says with a nod to the Prince and his Handmaiden, "but I've asked this questions many times in the past in situations like these, and you have no idea how many times my interlocutors didn't answered right away like you did, instead hesitating for some time before asking the others to wait outside. So you answering right away is enough for me." finishes the Emperor as he lays back in his cushions, before taking a deep breath, and looking outside through the window for a second or two.
"About reporting conversations between persons like us to our intelligence services Prince, I respect your experience, but this particular rule, I learned it from day one. It was the second thing my grandfather Peter told my wife and I when we stepped on the throne. Don't worry though, adds Adrean with a small chuckle, this personal thing is not something political that will affect millions of people. But feel free to report it to the Chandshar nonetheless."
While letting a beat pass, the tea is served, the Emperor thanking Tara with a nod and a smile before taking a sniff of the aroma.
"Aaah, sage tea, my grandmother's favourite, says the Emperor with a large smile and a clear tone of nostalgia in his voice. She made me lots of it when I was visiting in Pertingen when I was a kid, especially in the winter, he says to the Prince, before taking a sip. Yeah, good stuff indeed." he adds before taking anothe sip, and putting down his cup for now.

After a few beats have passed in silence, the Emperor looking down at the table, his fingers crossed, his forehead resting on his thumbs, a sigh escapes from his lips and he looks back up to Damir with a very serious look in his eyes, where one might as well discern some apprehension.
"For a week now, strange dreams have visited my nights, he starts to explain. They're all different each night, but they are all a part of the same story.
Now, imagine that in place of the Empire, exists another Empire, but named "Empire of the Scarlet Eagle", founded by Viking discoverers, but a bit later than our own, at the time of Leif Erickson's expedition. The Scarlet Eagle is nearly 100% similar to Astares. My Personal Guards are all the same, Anna is there too, and although the Emperor looks exactly like me, and has more or less the same background, his name is not Adrean Blachkor, but Anaximander Blachkov."
With the main setting of his dreams now exposed, Adrean lets a beat pass and takes a sip of his tea.
"Now, let's go back in March 2018, the Va'a Mamao incident. Instead of real life, where the Empire said nothing except "Bring our citizens back", the Scarlet Eagle instead sends a strong message of dissaproval, by the Foreign Secretary Andrei Raskievitch. From what I saw in my dreams, he descends from Jewish immigrants who fled the pogroms in Eastern Europe at the start of the 20th century.
In any case, following this message, denial by the Sultanate, etc, follows a period of sabre rattling and a diplomatic ice age between you and the Scarlet Eagle. A situation that would stay the same until May 2018, where at a royal wedding in Camelone, you would meet with Mr Raskievitch, and you would extend an invitation for a State Visit to the Sultanate for July of the same year.
Now, I won't bother you with the many details I've seen, but the main thing to remember is that, both during the State Visit to the Sultanate in July and the return visit in February 2019, the behaviour of Anaximander and some other Scarlet Americans would be to always try and impress you and your people. However, their method to do that would not be, for example, to reveal a special sculpture made in your honor, a grand speech, etc. No, their methods would be more akin to a 9-year old child asking: "Please watch me and be impressed! Please please please please please!". This kind of thing.
The main example I have in mind, would be during the return visit, where you, your daughter, Princess Fara and Admiral Abbas Lahia would have come aboard your other yacht, the Alshaahin. To summarize, Anaximander and his Personal Guard would have conducted a pseudo-search aboard, arriving by helicopter, fast-roping, etc. Since for who knows why, Pavel would have had a personal vendetta against you, you would have ended up on the ground, your hands tied behind your back; and worst of all, your daughter, Princess Aurelia, who among the Kyrenaians, would have been one of the friendliest people with the Scarlets, would have been searched and her breasts touched in the process."
As he finishes his phrase, the Emperor facepalms.
"Urgh, he groans, I think you'll agree with me, this is not how you do diplomacy, or try to impress someone. If I remember well, your former Grand-Vizier, Mr al-Zahir, said one that what really defines the power you hold is not defined by you, but by the others acknowledging said power. And in that dream, it was the complete opposite."

As he lets a few beats pass, Adrean rises from the cushions, and walks towards the window, where he stops and looks outside for a few moments, his hands behind his back.
"Look Prince Damir, he continues as he turns back towards his host, I know that I'm not like this Anaximander, in the diplomatic sense at least. I would never act like he did. When I talked about this series of dreams with my family, friends, advisors, etc; most of them told me the same thing: "Don't fret about it, it's just a bad dream, everyone knows you're not like that." But deep down, I feel it's still eating at me, always making me question if I could have evolved like that, and where would we be now with that kind of attitude.
So, that's why I felt I had to talk to you about it tonight. I know it must sound ridiculous to you that I'm so worried about just a dream, hell even I chastise myself mentally for that. But I've got to ask, what do you think about it?" finishes the Emperor with a tone of worry, as he goes back to the cushions, sits and downs the rest of his tea in one go.

Anna Blachkor
Aurelia's smile might unsettle some people, but the Empress was not one of them. In fact, Anna's side activities had made her witness such acts over the years, and even partake in some.
So, it is with the same smile, and a special fire in her eyes, that Adrean's wife replies to Aurelia.
"I've only got one answer, Aurelia-Amira: yes. And if I may add, I have a video to back that fact up. If you agree, I'll show it to you after dinner. Showing it now might not be a good thing don't you think?"

Pavel and Alicia Morozov
"Well then, Lieutenant Commander, care to enlighten on how you express said craziness in the Sultan's Navy?" asks Alicia with a smile.

"Don't worry, I didn't misunderstand you Miss Wasima, replies Yuri with a smile; that's what I was asking, if you were preferring music, speeches, etc. I should have been more precise, sorry for that. And as you may guess, we have quite a few in the Empire, from speeches to speeches to... speeches..."
-You're such a dork, sasy Patricia in Astarian with a small laugh to her husband, before turning back to the Kyrenaians. That joke aside, my husband wasn't lying, we have a lot of recording in various subjects, made by different persons. Do you want a special type or rank of person, or anyone would suffice?"

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.

I listened to the story with interest, being silent after his conclusion.
Thinking.
Taking a deep breath.
"You are asking a father, whether or not he worries about his bad dreams.", I said and looked at him with a small smile, slightly forlorn. "I know bad dreams and I often enough visited my daughter at night to assure to myself, that she is not a broken and mangled corpse on a tournament field's dust, not drowned aboard her ship, not blown to pieces by an explosion or stabbed to death in a far-off land or whichever horrible scenario my mind conjured up." I exhaled. "It is an irrational fear, much like the fear you feel due to these dreams, but that makes it not any less real. That you told me about them... I think, talking about one's fears is a good way to alleviate them."
I let a beat pass.
"That all being said, the actions of this Anaximander-character speak of a man with a lot less self-confidence, if I were to be honest.", I said and shrugged, motioning to Tara, who proceeded to refill. "I am no psychologist and neither want to be, but I'd say, that you aren't lacking in that department. You telling me is a good giveaway."

Ah, that struck a nerve... I knew about her soldiering, but I was also quite sure, that she knew, that I knew what we referred to as the 'Weight of the Axe'.
In other words, that I had executed someone, had brought down the axe on that person's neck and thus ended his life after a regular and lawful process punished him for his crimes with the death sentence and my Grandmother confirming it. There had even been a press release back when, with Captain al-Tabar praising my steady hand.
"Yeah, might ruin the appetite.", I said and nodded, "I would like to see it, though. After that, I'll show you, what an arrow does to a watermelon with a helmet on after traveling for fourhundred meters after being shot from a composite bow by a mounted archer firing from the back of a galloping horse." I let a beat pass. "Granted, said archer being Leonard Lách."

"Me?", Abbas asked with a small smile, "I am a very competitive dancer. To perfection, demanded from both myself and my partner."
I nodded in confirmation - one of the reasons I loved this man.
"Other pilots on my carrier are quite famous musicians within Kyrenaia, aside from being aviators, we also have one, who is head of a little motorcycle gang whenever he is ashore. One of the most positive motorcycle gangs you will ever meet, mainly because he instills a sense of respect for machinery and people in the kids, who he has in that gang." He snorted. "One should add, that he has nothing on Admiral Qarsan."

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

"Then a better term maybe would have been what kind of recording, not genre.", I said with a small smile, "But let's not fight about that!"
"Besides, I do not want anything. I would certainly appreciate it, but I do not want it.", she added, a humorous glint in her eyes - the male Petrenko might recognize it from a shopping trip with his wife, who certainly doesn't want this pair of shoes, but by the Lioness, if it isn't his next present to her, heads will roll. "And not just any recording of some speech of some famous or infamous statesman, I can get those on the internet. No, I am into special recordings. The theater piece I mentioned is a good example."
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:46 am

Adrean Blachkor
As Damir speaks, the Emperor listens with attention.
"Thank you for having listened to me, and for your answer. You know, those irrational fears you have about your daughter, I've had them too for a while, and still have them sometimes, for my wife. I've lost the count of how many times I've woken up drenched in cold sweat, after a nightmare about my wife being crushed under a vehicle, shot through the head, or tortured somewhere out of my reach, only to realize that she's laying on me, sleeping peacefully."
What Adrean didn't say, for not dropping the mood too much, was that for him, people who had lost a loved one without expecting it had those type of fears for their remaining relatives. You saying good luck to Marla, or me wishing a good trip and summit to my father, and they come back to us with empty eyes or blasted to pieces, he thinks grimly, a small shadow of sorrow passing through his gaze.

As he lets a beat pass with a sigh, he thanks Tara with a nod for the tea, before taking a sip.
"Anyway, that aside, I agree that Anax, as his friends and wife call him, certainly lacked self-confidence, although I don't know if it isn't less about self-confidence and more about overcompensating for something else, he adds with a small chuckle.
In any case, I'm glad we had this talk. Now, I would like to come back to more official matters, so to speak. I'm currently waiting for a call fro Captain Corey Herzog, commander of Group 3 of the Investigation and Intervention Brigade of the Columbia Metropolitan Police Department. It's a unit that is both a criminal investigation unit and also a Special Weapons and Tactics Unit. The message I received a few moments ago was from him.
In the meantime, I would like to ask you about something else, Damir-Amir. I'm sure that when you and your compatriots were preparing this visit, the Chandshar, Naval Intelligence and others gathered informations about the country, my wife, me, etc, and I'm pretty sure they found some things concerning my ... other skills, so to speak." says Adrean, air quoting other skills. "Even though Ii make sure to keep the lid above it as tightly closed as possible, something always leaks.
What they found don't interest me, I won't comment about it. What I would like to know instead, is what conclusions did they draw from this intel and presented to your mother, Razia-Sultana, and in turn, what did she told you to do or not do with my wife and I about it?"

Anna Blachkor
Of course the Empress knew that Aurelia knew that what they referred to was "The Sword's Way", as the Astarians called it. The press release about it had been one of the first informations they had gathered in preparation for the visit. And since Anna, aside from her soldiering had executed people too at the end of a legal process, she could relate.
"Personally, I prefer to use pumpkins instead of watermelons, she replies with a wink and a smile. Bit I would gladly watch Mr Lach in action. I hope he ha enough cheese that day." she adds with a small laugh, before leaning towards Aurelia and whispering: "Fun aside, if I may ask, what did you feel when you dropped the axe on that person's neck?"

"Interesting, replies Pavel with a nod. I won't speak for my Personal Guard colleagues, since we are all not aviators, and would therefore get off topic, but in the Imperial Navy, music plays a huge role. After all, we're not the People of Survival, Family and Song for nothing, eh?" he says with a small laugh.
-That we are, replies hiw wife before continuing. Nearly every ship on the navy has its own band, even the smaller ones. And for a few years now, an unofficial competition takes place, where bands post videos of songs, either covers or original creations, and the rest of the Navy sailors vote for who is best. And last year, Adrean even organized a reception at the Imperial Palace to celebrate the winner.
Aside from that, another thing has existed for centuries now, which defines well the "craziness" of the Imperial sailors: diving from the ship into the water. Although some accidents have happened in the past, whenever a ship was anchored, you were assured to see sailors climbing on different parts and trying to make the most original dive. And this culminated in 1850, when the Admiralty created an official diving competition, the Dykä Svötvar, or Diving Championship, which happens every four years.
-Say, I've been wondering, asks Pavel, but when did the RKN started realizing that it was thanks to fresh fruits and vegetables that you could avoid scurvy?"

Yuri recognized very well the glint in Razia's eyes, he had seen it enough times in his wife's, as well with the other women of the Personal Guard.
"Special recordings, I think we can arrange that, he replis with a humourous smile. In the meantime, concerning food, is there a special type of dish you would like to be served during the visit?"
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:31 pm

As Damir speaks, the Emperor listens with attention.
"Thank you for having listened to me, and for your answer. You know, those irrational fears you have about your daughter, I've had them too for a while, and still have them sometimes, for my wife. I've lost the count of how many times I've woken up drenched in cold sweat, after a nightmare about my wife being crushed under a vehicle, shot through the head, or tortured somewhere out of my reach, only to realize that she's laying on me, sleeping peacefully."
What Adrean didn't say, for not dropping the mood too much, was that for him, people who had lost a loved one without expecting it had those type of fears for their remaining relatives. You saying good luck to Marla, or me wishing a good trip and summit to my father, and they come back to us with empty eyes or blasted to pieces, he thinks grimly, a small shadow of sorrow passing through his gaze.

As he lets a beat pass with a sigh, he thanks Tara with a nod for the tea, before taking a sip.
"Anyway, that aside, I agree that Anax, as his friends and wife call him, certainly lacked self-confidence, although I don't know if it isn't less about self-confidence and more about overcompensating for something else, he adds with a small chuckle.
In any case, I'm glad we had this talk. Now, I would like to come back to more official matters, so to speak. I'm currently waiting for a call fro Captain Corey Herzog, commander of Group 3 of the Investigation and Intervention Brigade of the Columbia Metropolitan Police Department. It's a unit that is both a criminal investigation unit and also a Special Weapons and Tactics Unit. The message I received a few moments ago was from him.
In the meantime, I would like to ask you about something else, Damir-Amir. I'm sure that when you and your compatriots were preparing this visit, the Chandshar, Naval Intelligence and others gathered informations about the country, my wife, me, etc, and I'm pretty sure they found some things concerning my ... other skills, so to speak." says Adrean, air quoting other skills. "Even though Ii make sure to keep the lid above it as tightly closed as possible, something always leaks.
What they found don't interest me, I won't comment about it. What I would like to know instead, is what conclusions did they draw from this intel and presented to your mother, Razia-Sultana, and in turn, what did she told you to do or not do with my wife and I about it?"

Anna Blachkor
Of course the Empress knew that Aurelia knew that what they referred to was "The Sword's Way", as the Astarians called it. The press release about it had been one of the first informations they had gathered in preparation for the visit. And since Anna, aside from her soldiering had executed people too at the end of a legal process, she could relate.
"Personally, I prefer to use pumpkins instead of watermelons, she replies with a wink and a smile. Bit I would gladly watch Mr Lach in action. I hope he ha enough cheese that day." she adds with a small laugh, before leaning towards Aurelia and whispering: "Fun aside, if I may ask, what did you feel when you dropped the axe on that person's neck?"

"Interesting, replies Pavel with a nod. I won't speak for my Personal Guard colleagues, since we are all not aviators, and would therefore get off topic, but in the Imperial Navy, music plays a huge role. After all, we're not the People of Survival, Family and Song for nothing, eh?" he says with a small laugh.
-That we are, replies hiw wife before continuing. Nearly every ship on the navy has its own band, even the smaller ones. And for a few years now, an unofficial competition takes place, where bands post videos of songs, either covers or original creations, and the rest of the Navy sailors vote for who is best. And last year, Adrean even organized a reception at the Imperial Palace to celebrate the winner.
Aside from that, another thing has existed for centuries now, which defines well the "craziness" of the Imperial sailors: diving from the ship into the water. Although some accidents have happened in the past, whenever a ship was anchored, you were assured to see sailors climbing on different parts and trying to make the most original dive. And this culminated in 1850, when the Admiralty created an official diving competition, the Dykä Svötvar, or Diving Championship, which happens every four years.
-Say, I've been wondering, asks Pavel, but when did the RKN started realizing that it was thanks to fresh fruits and vegetables that you could avoid scurvy?"

Yuri recognized very well the glint in Razia's eyes, he had seen it enough times in his wife's, as well with the other women of the Personal Guard.
"Special recordings, I think we can arrange that, he replis with a humourous smile. In the meantime, concerning food, is there a special type of dish you would like to be served during the visit?"

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.

Oh, Adrean, believe me, the terror you will fear when you have children will be far worse... and I saw it as a when, not as an if. One of these days, I would send a private message to Adrean and Anna congratulating them on a, hopefully, healthy child, alongside a more diplomatic response.
I knew that this would happen.
And I learned something as well: That one might find empathy in unexpected places.
Not meant as a slight against the young man opposite to me, but he never really struck me as the sort of person I could emphasize with - or the other way around. Our art discussion had been interesting, but a proof of that. Yet, here we were... showing empathy over fear.
I think, that said a lot about the two of us as well.
We then switched back to official business, of Adrean waiting on a call from a Captain of their version of the Police Special Forces, before he asked about to which extend we were briefed on what the Chandshar, the Naval Intelligence and other found out about their soldiering, and it was...
"...ah, the good old game of 'Who knows what?'" I chuckled. "With the addition of 'Which conclusions were drawn?' and 'Who speaks about it with whom?' Really, a fun game." I said without irony. "But you should know two basic things about briefings for state visits, which we go through: For one thing, there are two for the diplomatic group. One is the 'official' briefing, in which we all are briefed on the general information, like where the trip goes, who we'll most definately meet, who we'll most likely meet and who in the blazes these people are - and the other is the 'unofficial' briefing, where Naval Intelligence and Chandshar inform the core group about such minute details as you mentioned. The core group usually consists of four people, but this time, we are at six." I raised a hand, pointer and middle finger extended, counting by the phalanxes of the fingers. "Myself, Tara, Princess Fara, Miss Adib, Sarina and Aurelia."
Especially the last name might surprise him.
"And, the second thing, which you should know, the information is presented to us, evidence is shown, the works of countless analysts is held back, however. We can access it, if we want, and I know, that Aurelia has studied your and your wife's files, but usually, that is left for after a meeting of what we refer to as the Hammam Council, an advisory board convening in one of our steam baths, a Hammam, to discuss the information in a neutral setting.", I explained and leaned back, "Of course, we also discussed do's and don't's. One of the do's proposed by Aurelia was to refer to certain cultural differences when asked, but trying to keep an open mind and to keep in mind cultural information."
I shrugged.
"If one of us was able to make such a profound reference, then it was her.", I added with a small smile.

I chuckled at the pun about Leonard's liking for cheese, it was a well-known trait of his.
At the question, I was silent for a bit, looking at Anna, but not seeing her, for a moment.
"Ya know, in 450 AD, the Last High Queen of the Selkie, Ribín Gorm, executed her husband, the Last High King, his name lost to history, on top of his keep in Fort Stone, ending the Age of the High Kings and laying the foundations for the Free Lands we know today.", I began, smiled for a moment, "Although she usually fought with a Bodmin-Battleaxe, she, according to legend, picked up her husband's sword and cut his head off with one fell swoop, the head tumbling over the wall down into the courtyard, where it killed one of the last men loyal to the High King. It is said, that, as the head was rolling, well..." I smiled a bit impishly. "...it is said, that Ribín Gorm had an orgasm."
I let a beat pass, took a breath of air.
"I didn't.", I said, all mirth gone. "I know his name, Karim Mughasib. Charged and convicted of child molestation, rape and murder in five cases, plus a number of other offenses. One of his victims was an HGA-Cherry, that is a first year at the Haram Girls' Academy." I took a breath. "The axe still felt heavy, growing heavier by the moment I held it, lifted it... and let it come down. Captain al-Tabar praised my steady hand, but I spent the rest of the day as a bawling wreck, alternating between Dad's, Uncle Ilia's and Aunt Rasha's embraces." I chuckled. "This must sound trivial to you, but... this was the first time my hands ended the life of a human being - and no matter what he did to those girls, he still was one... which only makes it more terrifying, to be honest."
I shrugged.
"Maybe that was the lesson: That I will, one day, wield immense power, the power to end a life with my own hands, maybe not by holding the axe, but by signing the order. That this power is heavy and should not be wielded lightly." I will freely admit, that I was, by then rambling. "And that wielding it should never be easy."

We chuckled at the tale of the Diving Championship - sport was a part of our military traditions as well, most popularly in the form of footvolley, but that was another story in its entirety.
"If I remember correctly...", Abbas said with a small smile, "...sailors from Kyrenaia realized that long before there was a permanent RKN. Somewhere in the 14th century, I think, a scholar wrote a treatise on the health of sailors, mentioning, that sailors ate pickled onions and carrots pickled on long journeys, both to keep the stuff from rotting, for the taste and he mentions with some skepticism, that some sailors believe that to prevent the 'Bleeding-Disease', the name for scurvy in the day." He shrugged. "Of course, it'd turn out centuries later, that the sailors were actually right."

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

Rasha shrugged.
"To be honest, I'm fine with everything, as long as it doesn't have beans.", she said and smiled, "I do have a bit of a sweet tooth, though, so I recommend to not letting me near a chocolate factory."
I nodded. "Same here, to be honest.", I admitted with a smile.
Last edited by Kyrenaia on Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:17 am

Adrean Blachkor
If Adrean knew what the Prince across him was thinking, he would agree that he had not expected he could emphasize with him. But here they were.
As Damir answers him, and mentions his daughter as being a member of the core group, the Emperor slightly raises an eyebrow.
"You know, I wouldn't have expected that your daughter would be involved in such a core group, but hey, at her age, Anna and I were also aware of many state secrets. You're right though, what she said about cultural differences couldn't be more accurate. It's also one of the conclusions we came to, my core group and I. Although to tell you, mine is a bit more extended, since it involves all of my Personal Guard." Ah, the joys of making a blood pact..., thinks the Emperor as he takes a sip of his tea before putting the cup back down.
"That aside Prince, I'm pleasantly surprised that you are willing to reveal to me the existence of your Hammam Council. From my past experiences, I've learned that this kind of informal group is not talked about much and kept a secret. It also shows that despite our cultural differences, we have some things in common. You see, my wife, me and our Guards also sometimes converse about politics and such when we are enjoying a Sauniar , which is more or less the equivalent of your Hammam.
Anyway, I thank you for your honesty, continues Adrean, but you've only answered partially my question about the conclusions that your intelligence services drew from what they found. So if you could please continue."

Anna Blachkor
"That's a very profound story, replies Anna as Aurelia tells her about High Queen Gorm. Although if you had reacted like her, I would have asked for a psychological evaluation.
But you didn't, she continues as she dares putting her hand on the Princess's shoulder in a comforting manner, hoping she wouldn't be offended by it (at least not much.) You understood the weight of your actions, and I'm sure you will never forget about it. And trust me, what you felt does not sound trivial at all for me.
You know, the first life I took left me like this. I won't bother you with the details, but back during the Civil War, the sniper platoon I was in was tasked with covering the advance of the unit my husband was in. At a moment, I sot a group of teenagers, barely older than I was, who seem suspect. As I see one of them holding what looks like a rocket, I don't hesitate and press the trigger.
Just like for you, I took the life of a human being, whose only fault that day was to have been on the other side of the war. Alicia held me in her arms the entire night after this, and my father the night after when he came over.
Although nowadays, with both my official and unofficial activities, I've become accustomed and cold towards it, I try to never forget the weight and consequences of my actions. Otherwise, you lose yourself and succumb to madness. My husband can testify about this.
So Princess, I know you'll never become like me, and that you'll always know the weight of your actions, finishes the Empress with a smile. With what you've told me, I know your heart is in the right place."
With that said, the Empress squeezes Aurelia's shoulder one last time before lettting her arm drop back at her side.

"So, pickled onions and carrots? asks Alicia with a smile. Interesting. For us, it was only one thing: fermented cabbage. Sailors had been using it for around 30 years before the Imperial Navy was created, to fight the Bloden Gingivis Plagua, or Bleeding Gums Plague as it was called back then. So you can bet that when the Imperial Navy was finally created under Adrean Blachkor "The Second" in 1647, we knew what do to do to keep our sailors.
-And to think the European had to wait until the start of the 19th century to start using fresh lime juice for the same purpose, continues her husband with a sigh. Let me tell you, many people tend to believe that the naval victories we won in that time were due to us having a better method of fighting, but it was in fact because our sailors were in better health than the Europeans."

"Then I'll be sure to tell Patrick and Alexandra about it, replies Yuri with a wink. They're our cooks in the Personal Guard, and I'm sure you'll appreciate the chocolate sweets they often make. I'd recommend the pear-flavored ones. Oh wait, now that I think of it, didn't the late Aaron Ilkhan said something about pears?" asks the male Petrenko as he suddenly seems to remember something.
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:50 pm

If Adrean knew what the Prince across him was thinking, he would agree that he had not expected he could emphasize with him. But here they were.
As Damir answers him, and mentions his daughter as being a member of the core group, the Emperor slightly raises an eyebrow.
"You know, I wouldn't have expected that your daughter would be involved in such a core group, but hey, at her age, Anna and I were also aware of many state secrets. You're right though, what she said about cultural differences couldn't be more accurate. It's also one of the conclusions we came to, my core group and I. Although to tell you, mine is a bit more extended, since it involves all of my Personal Guard." Ah, the joys of making a blood pact..., thinks the Emperor as he takes a sip of his tea before putting the cup back down.
"That aside Prince, I'm pleasantly surprised that you are willing to reveal to me the existence of your Hammam Council. From my past experiences, I've learned that this kind of informal group is not talked about much and kept a secret. It also shows that despite our cultural differences, we have some things in common. You see, my wife, me and our Guards also sometimes converse about politics and such when we are enjoying a Sauniar , which is more or less the equivalent of your Hammam.
Anyway, I thank you for your honesty, continues Adrean, but you've only answered partially my question about the conclusions that your intelligence services drew from what they found. So if you could please continue."

Anna Blachkor
"That's a very profound story, replies Anna as Aurelia tells her about High Queen Gorm. Although if you had reacted like her, I would have asked for a psychological evaluation.
But you didn't, she continues as she dares putting her hand on the Princess's shoulder in a comforting manner, hoping she wouldn't be offended by it (at least not much.) You understood the weight of your actions, and I'm sure you will never forget about it. And trust me, what you felt does not sound trivial at all for me.
You know, the first life I took left me like this. I won't bother you with the details, but back during the Civil War, the sniper platoon I was in was tasked with covering the advance of the unit my husband was in. At a moment, I sot a group of teenagers, barely older than I was, who seem suspect. As I see one of them holding what looks like a rocket, I don't hesitate and press the trigger.
Just like for you, I took the life of a human being, whose only fault that day was to have been on the other side of the war. Alicia held me in her arms the entire night after this, and my father the night after when he came over.
Although nowadays, with both my official and unofficial activities, I've become accustomed and cold towards it, I try to never forget the weight and consequences of my actions. Otherwise, you lose yourself and succumb to madness. My husband can testify about this.
So Princess, I know you'll never become like me, and that you'll always know the weight of your actions, finishes the Empress with a smile. With what you've told me, I know your heart is in the right place."
With that said, the Empress squeezes Aurelia's shoulder one last time before lettting her arm drop back at her side.

"So, pickled onions and carrots? asks Alicia with a smile. Interesting. For us, it was only one thing: fermented cabbage. Sailors had been using it for around 30 years before the Imperial Navy was created, to fight the Bloden Gingivis Plagua, or Bleeding Gums Plague as it was called back then. So you can bet that when the Imperial Navy was finally created under Adrean Blachkor "The Second" in 1647, we knew what do to do to keep our sailors.
-And to think the European had to wait until the start of the 19th century to start using fresh lime juice for the same purpose, continues her husband with a sigh. Let me tell you, many people tend to believe that the naval victories we won in that time were due to us having a better method of fighting, but it was in fact because our sailors were in better health than the Europeans."

"Then I'll be sure to tell Patrick and Alexandra about it, replies Yuri with a wink. They're our cooks in the Personal Guard, and I'm sure you'll appreciate the chocolate sweets they often make. I'd recommend the pear-flavored ones. Oh wait, now that I think of it, didn't the late Aaron Ilkhan said something about pears?" asks the male Petrenko as he suddenly seems to remember something.

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.

I smiled and wagged my finger playfully.
"Now, where would be the fun in that?", I said and leaned back, lowering my finger. "No, I will not tell you, what they found out." I turned serious. "Instead, Adrean, I will tell you something else, something far more important."
Ensuring, that I had his attention, I continued: "The Kyrenaian Government gave the impression, that we were not too pleased about your annexation of the Islas Malditas. That is, in part, correct. It has little to do with our sphere of influence, though, and all the more with the fact, that you came with that out of the blue and without any rhyme or reason to it - at least not that we could see it." I let a beat pass. "Now, the UIS is a very interesting place, bordering many spheres of influence, not to mention having its own. I am very certain, that your people have neither missed the Mokastana Military Installation, nor the influence, which nations such as Lamoni exert, in their particular case by aiding in training and equipping the UISDF. Plus, it is Marcella-Khana's declared objective, to expand the influence of the UIS in the region.
The good Khana is sitting on a little powder keg - come along you, an unknown and unexpected factor, declaring ownership over islands in the general area so far away from your homeland, that it made little sense... except in one.", I said, "The Sultanate is interested in safeguarding, that our friends, including the UIS, can live in peace. I am quite certain, that it is similar with the Empire, also including the UIS. While we were skeptical at first, keep in mind, that I would not be here, and least of all with my daughter, if anyone would have a negative opinion of you and the Empire. In fact, you would be sitting in a nice salon then, Mister Safir opposite to you, said salon most likely being part of a very, very expensive hotel in either Teressien, Lutetii, Markaz or Nouvelle-Dunkerque. And he would most certainly not hold you this monologue."
I shrugged lightly with a sheepish smile.
"I am here to make a partner and a friend in international relations, laying the foundations for that between both of our nations.", I said and let a few beats pass. "That includes safeguarding the peace around the UIS. We will not always see eye to eye, I give you that, but no matter what happens, I think, we can both agree, that peace is something we can work towards together - not against each other."
I let a beat pass.
"Agreed?", I asked.

I was, admittedly, a bit surprised by the hand, but I appreciated it and the story.
"Thank you.", I said in the end, biting back a comment, that separating someone's head from the shoulders as part of an execution was something different from killing someone in a combat situation, but then again, was it? I knew, what she meant by her official and unofficial activities, at least about the parts the Chandshar had knowledge of, and I had a rough idea about what she meant by her husband being able to testify. "I... yeah, thank you."
I let a beat pass.
"I hope you don't mind me asking, but...", I said, "...you mentioned, that you have mounted crossbows in this country as well. Do you have mounted archers, too? And what horses do you ride?"
Talk about a harsh change in topics.

"Possible, most certainly.", I replied, "I know, that for example the Kyrenaian Treasure Fleet of 1720 was lost despite our sailors being better equipped, better trained, following the better doctrines and being healthier, simply by the enemy being more numerous, in that case pirates. It must have been a battle for the ages."
Abbas nodded.
"So... fermented cabbage.", he said, "They have an awesome recipe for that in Teressien, including a party snack. Quite versatile stuff."

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

While Razia grinned at the prospect of sweets, I replied.
"Yes, his advice to future generations.", I told, smiling myself, "One should add, in his last years, he suffered from fructose malabsorption, so... basically an allergy against fructose and he somehow zeroed that in on pears. In full, the quote is, roughly translated:
    Never be cruel, never be cowardly - and never-ever eat pears. Remember, hate is always foolish and love is always wise. And always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."
I let a beat pass.
"Words to live by, if you ask me.", I added and Razia nodded as well. "Except for the pears, but, well..."
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Adrean Blachkor
When his interlocutor waggs his finger at him, a small flash of frustration passes in the Emperor's eyes as he furrows his brows a little. But as Damir continues to speak, Adrean can't help but raise an eyebrow gradually.
After the Prince has finishes talking, a few beats pass in silence.
"I agree on what you said about meeting Mr Safir if the opinion of the Empire in the Sultanate would have been negative, but I think that it would have rather been his colleague Mr Foxter facing him, instead of me, first replies the Emperor with a neutral face.
Now Prince, there are two main reasons why we took control of the Malditas, continues Adrean with a smile. First, the underground ressources. Core samples taken both at sea and on the islands proper showed a abundance of rare earth elements, natural gas, even small gold and precious stones. Add to that the fishing rights in the EEZ, and you understand now why we took our chance.
And the second reason is a bit more...I can't find the right term..." continues the Emperor as he snaps his fingers a few times, as he tries to find an appropriate word. "Eh, nevermind! I don't know if you've heard or read Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, but in this children's book, a child visits some planets, one being a planet where a businessman lives. And this character said to the hero: "If you find a diamond belonging to nobody, it's yours. If you find an Island (Adrean accentuates the word island) belonging to nobody, then it's yours."
As he says that with a serious tone, Adrean takes another sip of his tea, and realizes he has emptied his cup. Putting it back down, he crosses his hands and looks back to the Prince.
"I agree, this is a childish reason, but one that speaks with truth in its words, continues Adrean with a smile.
Anyway, to come back to the situation concerning the Duchess, contrary to what some people may think, establishing contact with the UIS was not our top priority. If we could have settled without establishing any contact, each side keeping to themselves, some people back home wouldn't have minded that at all.
But since the Malditas are a treasure trove that we will fortify to protect it, it's better to come over and say "Hi" so that no misunderstandings appear and lead to dire situations."
He lets a beat pass with a sigh.
"Although some people consider me a cold-blooded person with no qualms due to some of my actions, I'm not, or at least not entirely. And that's why causing this small corner of paradise that is the UIS to plunge into the madness of war uselessly is the last thing that is on my mind, as well as everyone in the Empire.
So of course I agree that peace is something we can work towards together, he continues with a smile as he extends his hand for a shake towards Damir. And as you said, if we can become friends and partners in international relations in the process, it's all for the better."

Anna Blachkor
"You're welcome, replies Anna with a small smile, before said smile widens at Aurelia's question. Talk about a harsh change of topics indeed, thinks the Empress, but one I welcome.
"Although the Jaldascor became of the famous things about the Empire, we indeed had, and still have, mounted archers. In the beginning, the first Viking settlers had to contend with the Chatco Watan tribe, who was famous at the time for their horsearchery. Their way of fighting was new to our ancestors, and it took them some time to adapt to it when they were conquering the land.
Although after their integration in the Empire, the Chatco Watan would soon become the leading figures of many of future campaigns, and would also form some Vikings to their ways, although the latter would continue using crossbows.
Nowadays, horsearchery is mostly used in some Native tribes reenacting the ways of their ancestors, or by some hunters."
The Empress then lets a beat pass, allowing he to take a sip from her flute. to moisten her throat.
"Now, concerning the horses, there are two main breeds that mounted archers and mounted crossbowmen use. The first is a native breed that was originally mounted by the Chatco Watan, called Ahas Perret in their language, or Forest Runner. It is a slender breed, with a height of around 145 to 150 cm, a short back and flat croup, and sound hooves. It is very calm, has vey good stamina and endurance, and his coat is usually brown or chestnut. The name comes from the fact that the race originally lived in forested areas.
The second one, which has quickly become a favourite of the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Armed Forces, is the Stjernel Arva Hest, or Starry Plain Horse in Astarian; usually s. It is a crossbreed between horses brought by our ancestors from Europe, and local race, with the Ahas Perret being the main one. The end result is the Stjernel Arva Hest, a horse used mainly as a warhorse, a sporthorse, but also as a cattle horse to a lesser extent. His height is between 150 to 160cm, with a powerful front end, medium withers, short back and sloping croup, clean legs and sound hooves, although we nearly always use put horseshoes on them.
They're also renowned for their high endurance and stamina, and although they can't sprint forever, they still manage it pretty good.
As for the coat, it is either gray, brown, chestnut, grey, and in some rare occasions white. The mane however, is nearly always white, which is one of the reasons this breed was named Starry.
And finally, there's the fact that thanks to careful selection of the genitors over the centuries, the Stjernel Arva Hest is now one of the horse breeds that has one of the longest lifespans in the world, with an estimate of nrealy forty years." finishes the Empress with a smile before taking another sip.
"Concerning the horses we rode during our Jaldascor days, my husband, me and our friends, they are all Stjernels. And we still have them to this day. You'll get to the see others as well tomorrow during the escort to the Silver Marble Palace, the Imperial Palace.
So Princess, I hope that answers your question, and that I wasn't too long or lost in details," finishes Anna with a smile.

Pavel and Alicia Morozov
"Indeed, quite versatile, replies Pavel with a nod. To be more precise, the main type of cabbage used by the Imperial Navy was red cabbage. But about the Kyrenaian Treasure Fleet you just mentioned, what type of fleet was it? Was it like the one of the Chinese admiral Zheng He, who travelled with many treasures to offer to the people he met on the way?" asks the Colonel.

"Oh, so this explains that, replies Patricia about Aaron's fructose malabsorption. In any case, you must be proud of your grandfather, she adds with a smile to Elian. All the things we found about him, it's a wonder why he wans't chosen as Sultan back in 1972.
-Yeah, adds Yuri with a nod. And just so you know, his famous quote has found a certain echo in Adrean, helping him with some...issues he has about his job."
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 am

When his interlocutor waggs his finger at him, a small flash of frustration passes in the Emperor's eyes as he furrows his brows a little. But as Damir continues to speak, Adrean can't help but raise an eyebrow gradually.
After the Prince has finishes talking, a few beats pass in silence.
"I agree on what you said about meeting Mr Safir if the opinion of the Empire in the Sultanate would have been negative, but I think that it would have rather been his colleague Mr Foxter facing him, instead of me, first replies the Emperor with a neutral face.
Now Prince, there are two main reasons why we took control of the Malditas, continues Adrean with a smile. First, the underground ressources. Core samples taken both at sea and on the islands proper showed a abundance of rare earth elements, natural gas, even small gold and precious stones. Add to that the fishing rights in the EEZ, and you understand now why we took our chance.
And the second reason is a bit more...I can't find the right term..." continues the Emperor as he snaps his fingers a few times, as he tries to find an appropriate word. "Eh, nevermind! I don't know if you've heard or read Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, but in this children's book, a child visits some planets, one being a planet where a businessman lives. And this character said to the hero: "If you find a diamond belonging to nobody, it's yours. If you find an Island (Adrean accentuates the word island) belonging to nobody, then it's yours."
As he says that with a serious tone, Adrean takes another sip of his tea, and realizes he has emptied his cup. Putting it back down, he crosses his hands and looks back to the Prince.
"I agree, this is a childish reason, but one that speaks with truth in its words, continues Adrean with a smile.
Anyway, to come back to the situation concerning the Duchess, contrary to what some people may think, establishing contact with the UIS was not our top priority. If we could have settled without establishing any contact, each side keeping to themselves, some people back home wouldn't have minded that at all.
But since the Malditas are a treasure trove that we will fortify to protect it, it's better to come over and say "Hi" so that no misunderstandings appear and lead to dire situations."
He lets a beat pass with a sigh.
"Although some people consider me a cold-blooded person with no qualms due to some of my actions, I'm not, or at least not entirely. And that's why causing this small corner of paradise that is the UIS to plunge into the madness of war uselessly is the last thing that is on my mind, as well as everyone in the Empire.
So of course I agree that peace is something we can work towards together, he continues with a smile as he extends his hand for a shake towards Damir. And as you said, if we can become friends and partners in international relations in the process, it's all for the better."

Anna Blachkor
"You're welcome, replies Anna with a small smile, before said smile widens at Aurelia's question. Talk about a harsh change of topics indeed, thinks the Empress, but one I welcome.
"Although the Jaldascor became of the famous things about the Empire, we indeed had, and still have, mounted archers. In the beginning, the first Viking settlers had to contend with the Chatco Watan tribe, who was famous at the time for their horsearchery. Their way of fighting was new to our ancestors, and it took them some time to adapt to it when they were conquering the land.
Although after their integration in the Empire, the Chatco Watan would soon become the leading figures of many of future campaigns, and would also form some Vikings to their ways, although the latter would continue using crossbows.
Nowadays, horsearchery is mostly used in some Native tribes reenacting the ways of their ancestors, or by some hunters."
The Empress then lets a beat pass, allowing he to take a sip from her flute. to moisten her throat.
"Now, concerning the horses, there are two main breeds that mounted archers and mounted crossbowmen use. The first is a native breed that was originally mounted by the Chatco Watan, called Ahas Perret in their language, or Forest Runner. It is a slender breed, with a height of around 145 to 150 cm, a short back and flat croup, and sound hooves. It is very calm, has vey good stamina and endurance, and his coat is usually brown or chestnut. The name comes from the fact that the race originally lived in forested areas.
The second one, which has quickly become a favourite of the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Armed Forces, is the Stjernel Arva Hest, or Starry Plain Horse in Astarian; usually s. It is a crossbreed between horses brought by our ancestors from Europe, and local race, with the Ahas Perret being the main one. The end result is the Stjernel Arva Hest, a horse used mainly as a warhorse, a sporthorse, but also as a cattle horse to a lesser extent. His height is between 150 to 160cm, with a powerful front end, medium withers, short back and sloping croup, clean legs and sound hooves, although we nearly always use put horseshoes on them.
They're also renowned for their high endurance and stamina, and although they can't sprint forever, they still manage it pretty good.
As for the coat, it is either gray, brown, chestnut, grey, and in some rare occasions white. The mane however, is nearly always white, which is one of the reasons this breed was named Starry.
And finally, there's the fact that thanks to careful selection of the genitors over the centuries, the Stjernel Arva Hest is now one of the horse breeds that has one of the longest lifespans in the world, with an estimate of nrealy forty years." finishes the Empress with a smile before taking another sip.
"Concerning the horses we rode during our Jaldascor days, my husband, me and our friends, they are all Stjernels. And we still have them to this day. You'll get to the see others as well tomorrow during the escort to the Silver Marble Palace, the Imperial Palace.
So Princess, I hope that answers your question, and that I wasn't too long or lost in details," finishes Anna with a smile.

Pavel and Alicia Morozov
"Indeed, quite versatile, replies Pavel with a nod. To be more precise, the main type of cabbage used by the Imperial Navy was red cabbage. But about the Kyrenaian Treasure Fleet you just mentioned, what type of fleet was it? Was it like the one of the Chinese admiral Zheng He, who travelled with many treasures to offer to the people he met on the way?" asks the Colonel.

"Oh, so this explains that, replies Patricia about Aaron's fructose malabsorption. In any case, you must be proud of your grandfather, she adds with a smile to Elian. All the things we found about him, it's a wonder why he wans't chosen as Sultan back in 1972.
-Yeah, adds Yuri with a nod. And just so you know, his famous quote has found a certain echo in Adrean, helping him with some...issues he has about his job."

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.

I admittedly raised an eyebrow at the reasoning - if it belonged to no one, it belongs to me? Well, what happens if someone comes and says Actually, that is someones... mine.?
I understood the argument of resources, though, and that very much so.
Wasn't that always the reason for conquest?
I nodded. "Wonderful.", I said and motioned to Tara, who refilled the cup on the spot, while I shook hands with Adrean a bit awkwardly. "My apologies, handshakes aren't exactly a Kyrenaian thing."
Still, I had a very firm one.
Once we were seated again, I spoke: "Just a fair warning, though, we all have our secret projects, which we would like to keep secret, I understand that, but if there is something, that might impact our partnership of purpose, we would greatly appreciate being informed beforehand. Likewise, we will do the same, just to avoid people getting miffed or confused or putting their hands on the wrong buttons." I shrugged. "I'm talking a day or two before the first tests, mind you, not months."

"No, it was interesting.", I said with a nod, "I would love to see them in action tomorrow, not only as escort, but also in their natural environments, maybe even with a demonstration of the horsemen's arts?" I shrugged. "Though I doubt, that such a demonstration would be anything like the ones I am used to. Both the Selkie, the Kyrenaians, the Teressians and the Paisancheros have differing arts of horsemanship, which they emphasize, usually keenly connected to what horses are used to mostly. In Paísancho, for example, the Vaquera is oriented towards herding cattle and all that goes with it from horseback."
It had been a remarkable demonstration.
"I had the pleasure of even learning a few tricks of the Vaquera, from one of the best. Cariba and I still are freinds.", I said and added, "Cariba Nieto is the heir of the Nieto-Family, an influential and rich family in Paisancho. She even allowed me to ride one of her horses, though, admittedly, the horse at first begged to differ..."

"More the other way around.", I explained, "You might be aware, that Kyrenaia once had a vast colonial empire and somehow, the resources and goods had to come to the Mainland, right?"
It was an unabashed explanation. While the Kyrenaian Colonial Empire was not a part of the shared history one could discuss with everyone and anywhere, it was a part of the history. And Kyrenaian Royalty in general has adopted a viewpoint of generally acknowledging, that it was something, that had happened. And glorifying or demonizing it in one form or the other did not change the facts, that it happened and how it happened.
"The treasure fleets were supposed to bring the riches of the colonies to the Mainland for processing, for example in the form of silver and gold. Of course, this attracted competitors, so that there was always an escort sailing along and other merchants adding themselves to it, safety in numbers.", I explained, "That not always deterred attackers, admittedly, like in 1720."

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

I bowed my head lightly, smiling, glad that my Grandfather had helped a man, who he had not known.
Then I explained: "The thing is, proposing a at-the-time nineteen year old girl as Sultana was the most sensible thing they could do - all of the other Ilkhans had some involvement in the atrocities of the Decolonization Wars. Grandfather, for example, as you might know, commanded a cruiser during the Jalid Emergency. During that conflict, one of his main missions was to control any ship wanting to enter or leave the waters of Jalid, and to sink them, if they resisted." I left the rest to their imagination. "But, as he told in an interview a year before Dementia got him, Razia offered not only a fresh... well, he called it 'not only a fresh paintjob, but a new car altogether.'"
Last edited by Kyrenaia on Sun May 03, 2020 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Mon May 04, 2020 12:43 pm

Emperor Adrean Blachkor
"Don't apologize, replies Adrean as he is not phased by Damir's firm handshake, his own being on the same level. It should be me who should apologize then. Handshakes are not an Astarian thing too, it only came very late in the 18th century as our relations with Europe deepened. Usually, we have two ways to salute ourselves or seal a deal. Either we fistbump- I'm not joking mind you- or we hit our interlocutor's sternum lightly with our fists.
Anyway, he continues as he thanks once again Tara with a nod for the tea, concerning the secret projects, the Empire has the same mindset, but usually we don't do it straight at the start of diplomatic relations like that, we wait for them to have solidified a bit. Usually after the return visit and/or the establishment of an embassy. But aside from that, you'll find no objections from my part or anyone in the Empire.
I won't lie Prince, I'm glad we can take a way better start than Anaximander did in my dream." finishes the Emperor as he takes a sip of his tea.

However, just as he puts down his cup on the table, the police ringtone is suddenly heard again, causing him to jump a bit, before switfly grabbing his smartphone and answering.
"Adrean here, hey Corey," starts the Emperor in Astarian.
For the next four minutes, Adrean listens to what his friend says to him, causing him to become a bit agitated at times, asking quick but precise questions, and also giving orders. At one point, he even stands up and starts walking back and forth in front of the window.
"Okay, thanks, I'll relay the info to them, go have some rest now. And thanks man, finishes Adrean as he hangs up, before looking at the window for a few seconds. Then, with a sigh, he passes a hand in his hair and on his face, before coming back to sit and taking a large sip of his tea.
"Well, he says to Damir with a serious face and tone, something serious just happened. So please listen carefully.
Just a few hours ago, Corey got wind from a friend in the FIB that one of his sources knew something about a potential danger regarding the state visit. A group of people was apparently setting up something in a house in Columbia's northern suburbs.
So, Corey goes there with his team, around 40 people, and assaults the house. And BAM!" exclaims Adrean as he slams his right fist in his left palm, "Jackpot! The house was indeed housing a group that was preparing something against the state visit. Just to tell you, Corey was lightly wounded by shotgun pellets in his right arm, and two of his men were shot in the arm and leg respectively by AK-74s None of them are in serious danger though, they weren't hit in a vital point or something. All of the house inhabitants except two were killed in the assault."

"Now, the main part: who was this group, and what or who were they targeting? Well, that's the trickiest part. These people were apparently Astarian Star Polytheism extremists, and the target... was you, Damir, and your daughter Aurelia." finishes Adrean with a small sigh, as if it was paining him a bit to say it.
As he lets a few beats pass to let the info sink in the Prince's mind, he finishes his teacup.
"As you may perhap know, he continues with the same serious tone, in the Astarian Star Polytheism, the act of incest is considered as one of the most supreme insults against Ymir, our main deity, the Star of Creation.
On the otherside, take the rumors surrounding you and your daughter in the past, who unfortunately found their way to the Empire, as that a certain number of people believe to be true."
What Adrean didn't say, was that among those people who believed the rumors, there was him, his wife and their friends.
"Mix the two, and you see where this is going. And for that, I extend my most sincere apologies, says Adrean as he bows his heard.
Now, according to SSE, or sensitive site exploitation, searching the place and all, there might be some other groups with more or less the same goal. Don't worry, the FIB and the ACI will get it done this night. But we'll have to take extra measures, expecially during the transfer to the Palace tomorrow."

Just as he finishes his sentence, a set of low-pitched notes, played by a contrabass or cello, and with a anxious melody, emanates from Adrean's smartphone.
Immediatly, the Emperor picks it up and listens to the person speaking. After a few seconds, answers with a simple "Rah" before hanging up and turning back to Damir.
"That was Colonel Gabriel T Rorke, he simply says. If this name rings any bells, he was wounded in Utica last June in the Al'Arz attack. He told me that one of the best units he knows, the 36th Special Training Squadron, will be providing helicopter overwatch and sniper support for the transfer tomorrow. I hope you don't mind."
What Adrean left unsaid, was that the 36th was in fact his and his wife personal Guard, and that they too were a part of it...

Empress Anna Blachkor
"Thanks. Don't worry, you'll get to see them in action, replies Anna with a smile. In fact, a part of the escort tomorrow will be composed of the Jaldascor Squadron of the Imperial Educational Center, although unlike the HGA and TBA Horsemen, they will only be here for ceremonial purpose. If something happens, they are to bail out and leave the job to the actual Imperial Guard Jaldascor.
And I'm sure this difference in method, about using high-schoolers to protect heads of state, will be a major cause of headache while preparing the return visit., thinks the Empress, although her face betrays nothing.
"Now, to see their art in their natural environment, we'll keep that for our day at Pertingen, that's where the Jaldascor originated, she continues with a smile. And I don't doubt it will be unlike anything you've seen, the differences of horsemanship practices around the world is what makes the richness of it in my opinion.
As for the Nieto surname, it has a different connotation in the Empire. Colonel Juan Nieto was a Mexican Officer during the Astarian Maxican War of 1845-1849. He led many successful raids against our own forces. He was a thorn in our side for a good part of the war.
Anyway, I digress, sorry about that. What happened with Mrs Nieto's horse exactly?" finishs the Empress with a raised eyebrow.

"Ah of course, the riches from the colonies, says Pavel in understanding with a nod. I won't lie, if our land hadn't been so hard to tame sometimes in the first place, we would have tried our luck at a colonial empire too." continues the Arving Magnam Stoher.
This sentence, and the neutral tone used to say it, should make the Kyrenaians understand that the Astarians considered too colonial empires and such as a normal part of history,and that you can't change the past. Humans would always try to enrich themselves after all.
"So, these fleets were like what the Spanish had in place for their Empire in the Americas, says Alicia. Of course they would need to be escorted. But what was the bigger dangers for them, random pirates or foreign powers?"

"Wait, you're not telling me the other Ilkhans stepped out just because they fought in the Wars?" asks Yuri. We all do bad things at one point when we are engaged in a conflict, that's the nature of life.
-Honey, calm down a bit will you?" asks Patricia with a soothing tone as she rubs her husband's arm. Sorry for this small outburst, she adds to Razia and Elian. As you see, for us, just because you do one or two bad things as a soldier during a conflict does not mean you can't continue with high-functions or similar things in life. But I can say we both agree with his opinion about the Sultana. A fresh start is always the best remedy in this kind of situation.
-It is, continues Yuri as he rubs his eyes with his left hand. Like Patricia said, sorry for my small outburst. But aside from the Decolonization Wars and his role as Ilkhan, your grandfather also created the Boys and Girls Scouts of Kyrenaia. What are their roles exactly? Are they like the original scouts created by Baden Powell?"
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Sun May 10, 2020 10:18 am

"Don't apologize, replies Adrean as he is not phased by Damir's firm handshake, his own being on the same level. It should be me who should apologize then. Handshakes are not an Astarian thing too, it only came very late in the 18th century as our relations with Europe deepened. Usually, we have two ways to salute ourselves or seal a deal. Either we fistbump- I'm not joking mind you- or we hit our interlocutor's sternum lightly with our fists.
Anyway, he continues as he thanks once again Tara with a nod for the tea, concerning the secret projects, the Empire has the same mindset, but usually we don't do it straight at the start of diplomatic relations like that, we wait for them to have solidified a bit. Usually after the return visit and/or the establishment of an embassy. But aside from that, you'll find no objections from my part or anyone in the Empire.
I won't lie Prince, I'm glad we can take a way better start than Anaximander did in my dream." finishes the Emperor as he takes a sip of his tea.

However, just as he puts down his cup on the table, the police ringtone is suddenly heard again, causing him to jump a bit, before switfly grabbing his smartphone and answering.
"Adrean here, hey Corey," starts the Emperor in Astarian.
For the next four minutes, Adrean listens to what his friend says to him, causing him to become a bit agitated at times, asking quick but precise questions, and also giving orders. At one point, he even stands up and starts walking back and forth in front of the window.
"Okay, thanks, I'll relay the info to them, go have some rest now. And thanks man, finishes Adrean as he hangs up, before looking at the window for a few seconds. Then, with a sigh, he passes a hand in his hair and on his face, before coming back to sit and taking a large sip of his tea.
"Well, he says to Damir with a serious face and tone, something serious just happened. So please listen carefully.
Just a few hours ago, Corey got wind from a friend in the FIB that one of his sources knew something about a potential danger regarding the state visit. A group of people was apparently setting up something in a house in Columbia's northern suburbs.
So, Corey goes there with his team, around 40 people, and assaults the house. And BAM!" exclaims Adrean as he slams his right fist in his left palm, "Jackpot! The house was indeed housing a group that was preparing something against the state visit. Just to tell you, Corey was lightly wounded by shotgun pellets in his right arm, and two of his men were shot in the arm and leg respectively by AK-74s None of them are in serious danger though, they weren't hit in a vital point or something. All of the house inhabitants except two were killed in the assault."

"Now, the main part: who was this group, and what or who were they targeting? Well, that's the trickiest part. These people were apparently Astarian Star Polytheism extremists, and the target... was you, Damir, and your daughter Aurelia." finishes Adrean with a small sigh, as if it was paining him a bit to say it.
As he lets a few beats pass to let the info sink in the Prince's mind, he finishes his teacup.
"As you may perhap know, he continues with the same serious tone, in the Astarian Star Polytheism, the act of incest is considered as one of the most supreme insults against Ymir, our main deity, the Star of Creation.
On the otherside, take the rumors surrounding you and your daughter in the past, who unfortunately found their way to the Empire, as that a certain number of people believe to be true."
What Adrean didn't say, was that among those people who believed the rumors, there was him, his wife and their friends.
"Mix the two, and you see where this is going. And for that, I extend my most sincere apologies, says Adrean as he bows his heard.
Now, according to SSE, or sensitive site exploitation, searching the place and all, there might be some other groups with more or less the same goal. Don't worry, the FIB and the ACI will get it done this night. But we'll have to take extra measures, expecially during the transfer to the Palace tomorrow."

Just as he finishes his sentence, a set of low-pitched notes, played by a contrabass or cello, and with a anxious melody, emanates from Adrean's smartphone.
Immediatly, the Emperor picks it up and listens to the person speaking. After a few seconds, answers with a simple "Rah" before hanging up and turning back to Damir.
"That was Colonel Gabriel T Rorke, he simply says. If this name rings any bells, he was wounded in Utica last June in the Al'Arz attack. He told me that one of the best units he knows, the 36th Special Training Squadron, will be providing helicopter overwatch and sniper support for the transfer tomorrow. I hope you don't mind."
What Adrean left unsaid, was that the 36th was in fact his and his wife personal Guard, and that they too were a part of it...

Empress Anna Blachkor
"Thanks. Don't worry, you'll get to see them in action, replies Anna with a smile. In fact, a part of the escort tomorrow will be composed of the Jaldascor Squadron of the Imperial Educational Center, although unlike the HGA and TBA Horsemen, they will only be here for ceremonial purpose. If something happens, they are to bail out and leave the job to the actual Imperial Guard Jaldascor.
And I'm sure this difference in method, about using high-schoolers to protect heads of state, will be a major cause of headache while preparing the return visit., thinks the Empress, although her face betrays nothing.
"Now, to see their art in their natural environment, we'll keep that for our day at Pertingen, that's where the Jaldascor originated, she continues with a smile. And I don't doubt it will be unlike anything you've seen, the differences of horsemanship practices around the world is what makes the richness of it in my opinion.
As for the Nieto surname, it has a different connotation in the Empire. Colonel Juan Nieto was a Mexican Officer during the Astarian Maxican War of 1845-1849. He led many successful raids against our own forces. He was a thorn in our side for a good part of the war.
Anyway, I digress, sorry about that. What happened with Mrs Nieto's horse exactly?" finishs the Empress with a raised eyebrow.

"Ah of course, the riches from the colonies, says Pavel in understanding with a nod. I won't lie, if our land hadn't been so hard to tame sometimes in the first place, we would have tried our luck at a colonial empire too." continues the Arving Magnam Stoher.
This sentence, and the neutral tone used to say it, should make the Kyrenaians understand that the Astarians considered too colonial empires and such as a normal part of history,and that you can't change the past. Humans would always try to enrich themselves after all.
"So, these fleets were like what the Spanish had in place for their Empire in the Americas, says Alicia. Of course they would need to be escorted. But what was the bigger dangers for them, random pirates or foreign powers?"

"Wait, you're not telling me the other Ilkhans stepped out just because they fought in the Wars?" asks Yuri. We all do bad things at one point when we are engaged in a conflict, that's the nature of life.
-Honey, calm down a bit will you?" asks Patricia with a soothing tone as she rubs her husband's arm. Sorry for this small outburst, she adds to Razia and Elian. As you see, for us, just because you do one or two bad things as a soldier during a conflict does not mean you can't continue with high-functions or similar things in life. But I can say we both agree with his opinion about the Sultana. A fresh start is always the best remedy in this kind of situation.
-It is, continues Yuri as he rubs his eyes with his left hand. Like Patricia said, sorry for my small outburst. But aside from the Decolonization Wars and his role as Ilkhan, your grandfather also created the Boys and Girls Scouts of Kyrenaia. What are their roles exactly? Are they like the original scouts created by Baden Powell?"

Prince Damir ibn-Razia.

After he had finished his tale, I leaned back and groaned.
"Once, Manat, just fucking once!", I got out, making Tara suppress a snort, "Is that too much to ask for?!" I turned to my loyal, if bemused, Handmaiden. "Tara, as it apparently is too much to ask for, can you please note down, that I need to get Aurelia a bottle of Aragh once we return home. Alyaninisun."
Tara bowed her head in confirmation and made a note.
I turned back to Adrean: "As you may guess, your little wannabe-assassins are not the first ones, who presume, that I have or had intercourse with my daughter frequently.", I said and looked slightly miffed, less about the rumours or about the foiled assassination, but more about the bottle of Aragh. "By now, we are getting questions about that at least once per state visit, the question is by not if or if not, but when. And the question is, 'When does someone bring it up?'"
I sighed.
"Best regards to your security apparatus, they did a good job and we appreciate it.", I added. "And yes, say 'We', because I know, that Aurelia will agree." I gulped down the last of my tea and rose. "And that brings me to the next step: We'll talk about that to the others. Come."

"Miss, actually.", I said with a smile, "Cariba's unmarried. And I know, that this coincidence would make her laugh quite a bit. There is actually a Nieto in Kyrenaian History, too, quite prominently as well. Lupo Nieto was one of the largest cattle ranchers in Salalkubz in the early Colonial Period, he died in 1601, I think. His estate was then divided between his sons and nowadays their descendants."
I smiled and let a beat pass.
"Now, as for the thing with the horse, let's just say, that Paisancheros ride their horses in different ways then the Selkie or the Kyrenaians.", I said.

We noticed the tone and we knew, that it had something to do with Ymir's Laws or however their play at Natural Laws was called. But no philosophical discussions before the appetizers were over, please.
"Storms, actually.", Abbas said with a grin, "It was a treacherous route. Foreign powers, who had the know-how to be a meaningful threat to the fleets, knew, that they better not try their hands at it. Otherwise, they were bound to become the next treasure trove."
I nodded. "Indeed. And when pirates got their act together and moved against the treasure fleets, they were usually outgunned, outnumbered, outtrained and any other adjective starting with out-, that might be applicable."
"And in 1720, they had a plan.", Abbas added.

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

I snorted in bemusement at one point - yeah, right, the Prince and Heir Presumptive of the Ilkhanate of Kyrene, the later Ilkhan of Kyrene, did not take a higher civil office after the Decol-Wars, because he did a few bad things (more like a lot of bad things, Grandfather was never shy to admit to his actions, which were more then 'one or two bad things [...] during a conflict', even to his detriment). Right, kiddos... before you try to throw a lampshade, inform yourself and think.
A good lesson for the day.
"Yeah, right, he did that, too.", I said with a nod, "He founded them in 1960, as a way for youth to spent time together outside school, in the great outdoors, keeping fit and healthy, learning a few things along the way, learn about the Furusiyya and how to implement it in the daily life." I let a beat pass. "You see, the Decol-Wars got many soldiers home wounded, either physically or mentally, if they came home at all. So, instead of letting children grow up in broken homes and growing into young adults causing trouble, he instituted a mandatory youth group focusing and teaching these things, so that they would grow up into healthy young people." I took a sip. "And although often being accused of being a paramilitary ideological organization hell-bent on growing Kyrenaia's youth into its future soldiers, on and off the battlefield, I can assure you, that the Pathfinders were never a paramilitary."
Nodding Fadwa as she collected my now empty flute, I then added: "By the way, who is this Baden Powell?"
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Mon May 11, 2020 3:51 am

Emperor Adrean Blachkor
"I don't doubt they arent' the first one." simply replies the Emperor with a nod as he finishes his tea too. "But hey, what can you expect from extremists? All right, lead the way. Just to tell you, I'll need to peak with my wife and friends in private for a bit after you told everyone." adds Adrean as both men get out of the Suite and get back to the Salon.

Empress Anna Blachkor
"I don't doubt that their way of riding is different than yours, just like ours. I hope you didn't had much trouble in the end to get this horse to work with you." simply replies Anna.

Pavel and Alicia Morozov

"And I'm ready to bet that this plan laybe involved a storm, or a treacherous passage, replies Alicia.

This time, It was Yuri's turn to snort in bemusement with a raised eyebrow.
"I'm surprised you don't know who he is, given your ties with Aaron-Ilkhan, replies the Arving Thanos. Anyway, Lord Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell of Gilwell, born on February 22nd, 1857, in Paddington, UK, and died January 8th 1941, in Nyeri, Kenya; was a British military officer, who fought in India and different African conflicts. He is the original founder of the Scouting movement, whose objectives are more or less the same as the one of the Kyrenaian movement."
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Mon May 11, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Mon May 11, 2020 5:04 am

"I don't doubt they arent' the first one." simply replies the Emperor with a nod as he finishes his tea too. "But hey, what can you expect from extremists? All right, lead the way. Just to tell you, I'll need to peak with my wife and friends in private for a bit after you told everyone." adds Adrean as both men get out of the Suite and get back to the Salon.

Empress Anna Blachkor
"I don't doubt that their way of riding is different than yours, just like ours. I hope you didn't had much trouble in the end to get this horse to work with you." simply replies Anna.

Pavel and Alicia Morozov

"And I'm ready to bet that this plan laybe involved a storm, or a treacherous passage, replies Alicia.

This time, It was Yuri's turn to snort in bemusement with a raised eyebrow.
"I'm surprised you don't know who he is, given your ties with Aaron-Ilkhan, replies the Arving Thanos. Anyway, Lord Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell of Gilwell, born on February 22nd, 1857, in Paddington, UK, and died January 8th 1941, in Nyeri, Kenya; was a British military officer, who fought in India and different African conflicts. He is the original founder of the Scouting movement, whose objectives are more or less the same as the one of the Kyrenaian movement."

Prince Elian ibn-Sarah.

I shrugged.
"Never heard of him.", I said, "Might have something to do with the Boy- and Girlscout Movement of Kyrenaia being independent from the International Scouting Movement, and known in Kyrenaia itself as the Silafuhsankhafif."
I was about to continue to impart my knowledge on the matter onto Petrenko, when the door opened again and Prince Damir came in.
"Alright, everyone, gather 'round!", he said and thus stopped all conversation. I shrugged at the Petrenkos and went over. He waited for a few moments, gave Aurelia a happy smile as she rejoined his side and then began: "Emperor Adrean just informed me, that a police special forces unit took down a group suspected, and so far it seems, that it can be confirmed, of planning an attack on tomorrow's events, namely aimed at me and Aurelia. They are apparently some religious extremists, who believe, that I regularly fuck or fucked or in general engage in intercourse with my daughter."
One could expect, that now, a very pregnant pause would follow.
Instead, there were groaning, triumphant grins, Aurelia pumping her fist (and being reassured by her father, that his Handmaiden already made a note concerning the bottle) and myself, taking out my wallet to hand Razia ten Barquas, who compensated that loss with a peck on my cheek.
After that had gone on and the crowd had calmed down, he continued: "As it were, the local security forces have taken them out, but it can not be ruled out, that there might be more to come. I want all of you to be on the lookout tomorrow." He looked at Razia. "Razia, I know, it might be unusual to ask, but would you mind being escorted by a Handmaiden?"
"As long as she is cute.", she said with a firm nod.
"I'll see, what can be arranged.", Damir replied, then addressed everyone: "I also want you all to go through recertification again. Just in case." He turned to Adrean. "From what I heard, there is a shooting range at the Imperial Palace. If you do not mind, I would greatly appreciate it, if we could use it, please. And I would also appreciate, if your security forces could give us all files and data they have on these people, for analysis by Chandshar and Naval Intelligence. Please, of course." He then turned to the entire group. "Now, Adrean will now brief his people on their lonesome. Tara, would you mind showing them to the Sun Deck, please?"
"Of course not.", Damir's Handmaiden said with a small bow.
"Dinner will be in thirty minutes.", he finished and I noted, that it should be enough for them talking among each other and for everyone to refresh. "Tara will show you to the Large Dining Room. Until then..." He nodded to Adrean and moved out of the way. "...we'll see each other in half an hour."
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Mon May 11, 2020 7:06 am

As Damir enters and starts briefing the group, the rest of the Astarians just cast a quick glance at Adrean who entered behind the Prince, who justs nods and looks at the Prince, telling them to pay attention to what he says.
After he has finished talking, Adrean raises his hand to pause the action.
"One moment please, says the Emperor with a firm and serious, yet nice tone. First, about the documents we have found and will continue to find, we'll be sure to send them to the Chandshar and Naval Intelligence as soon as we get them. In order to do that, I would ask that you please provide us with the adress of a secured line to your services by the end of the evening.
Now, concerning the requalification at the shooting range, it goes without saying: Of course. We either have the small shooting range reserved for guests of state and their bodyguards, directly under your quarters. Although its range is limited to fifty meters. We also have a bigger underground range that reaches up to 300 meters, and a surface one with a scope up to a kilometer. And to top it off, various kill houses and such.
If you need it, we have acquired in the past few weeks some Kyrenaian weapons through the Mangaire Dealership for testing and for out own collections. While we do not have the latest KGS-26 carbines, we have the KGS-22 and similar weapons of the same generation. So if you need to have a feel from home, don't hesitate to pick.

Moreover, I would like to suggest something else. As you know, as a protective detail, my wife and I Personal Guard trains to evac VIPs and such. I would like that we take some time to train with all of you, instead of just picking one of us to play the role. This way, we'll have a better understanding of how you will react and behave, and the coordination will only be better.
Thanks for your attention."

Once Damir has given his reply, the six Astarians are led on the Sun Deck by Tara.
Once the six of them are alone, they all tak a piece of gum from their vests or bags and start chewing, taking some time to admire the night sky and the Idolon, the men having covered their wive's shoulders with their vests to keep them warm.
"So, how did the discussion went?" asks Anna to her husband as they all lean on the rail.
-Pretty good if you ask me, replies Adrean. I talked to him about the dream, he told me to have similar fears about his daughter, and he thinks that this Anax has a lot less self-confidence than me. For hm, me talking about it with him showed I did not lack in the department. Other than that, the core group of the delegation, aka the ones who have read our files and know about our soldiering, are him, Aurelia and Fara, along with their Handmaidens, continues the Emperor, saying the last part with a small smirk as he turns towards Pavel.
-Their Handmaidens? Really? asks the blonde Colonel with a raised eyebrow.
-Really," simply replies Adrean with an even larger smile than before.
In answer, Pavel simply groans, before taking out his wallet from his vest and handing two 100 Covin bills to Yuri and Adrean.
"Well thank you fine Sir, replies Yuri with a mock bow and a smirk. You're too generous.
-Yeah yeah, that's what a Primarch has to do, given the relative poverty of your territories, replies the male Morozov with a laid back tone.
-Oooh! exclaim Anna, Alicia and Patricia, as they laugh at Yuri's expense.
-Anyway, girls, guys, interrupts Adrean, let's get back to the topic at hand. Corey and two of his men were lightly wounded by shotgun pellets and bullets. In the arm for Corey, and in the leg and arm for his men. Nothing serious though. SSE showed ties to other possible groups, so the FIB and ACI will have their hands full this night.
-Ouch, replies Patricia.
-Indeed, answers the Emperor, and also, Rorke just calledme right after.
-Oh shit, what does the Ghost Killer wants?" asks Anna.
-Don't worry sweetheart, says Adrean as he pecks his wife on the lips, he just asked for the 36th to provide helicopter overwatch and sniper support tomorrow for the transfer. You all know what that means.
-Indeed, replies Alicia. Have the others been told about it?" asks the blonde woman as she points to the Idolon cruising next to the Aurelia.
-They received the info from Corey as well. And..."
Just as he says that, his phone rings once again. Adrean picks it up, talks for a few seconds with the other person on the line, and then hangs up.
-So, Phillip suggests the Idolon starts sailing back now, and that we get delivered normal clothed to be extracted by chopper later. Any objections?
-Nope, says the rest of the group as one.
-Good, simply finishes Anna.

And so, for the remaining time before dinner, the group enjoys the night sky on the sun deck. Just before they are called, they go to the Aurelia's aft, where they each get a black bag delivered by the Idolon's tender,just before the motorized yacht start to accelerate and sail back to land ahead of the Aurelia
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:42 am

Large Dining Room of the Aurelia. Half an hour later.

The Large Dining Room was at the center of the Promenade Deck, a large room which could be transformed into a cinema or a ball room if the need arose. Aft of it was the onboard Hammam, forward led to the elevator, which connected the Large Dining Room with the Kitchens deeper in the vessel, while forward of that, the foredeck was free for the day's use, also occupied by the foremast.
I often sat on the foredeck and read things for school in the mornings.
Now, it was evening and it was time for the obligatory state dinner whenever we went somewhere aboard the Aurelia. I did not mind, the talents of the chef aboard were extraordinary and I was getting into the girly side of my occupation by starting to actually like wearing dresses.
I liked wearing one in particular and in this room, an image of Kyrenaia's Richness and Splendor (even if the vessel it was on was built in good, ol' Cuan), there was only one, which I could wear to stick with the theme - add in, that this was an occasion calling for formal wear, which included in particular folk costumes, and you have, what I wore as my father and I entered side by side.
The fistan alshams, or Sun Dress, is the traditional costume of the Kyrenaians, usually made of the finest of silks. It, in its basic forms, consists of a bustier with short sleeves, which barely cover the shoulders, a bare midriff, plus, in my case, an ankle length skirt. The most important part of it is, however, the veil, covering the hair and reaching down at least to the hips, translucent and very expensive. Predominant colour of the ensemble was deep blue like the night sky, with silver threads serving as highlights and decoration on the bustier and skirt, running in seemingly wild patterns, no thread ever crossing the other.
I wore a bit of accessories and jewelry, first and foremost a fur vambrace on my left lower arm, which formerly belonged to a Star Lynx, an animal endemic to the Free Lands and one of the hardest animals to hunt for - and a revered animal at that. This one had been a gift by Galen Lannaire, a famed mounted archer, Marcach and overall adorable lad (and member of the Tribe of Louth, so a tribesman of mine). The majority of this Star Lynx's fur had served to make a Geansai for me, which I had back home in Utica.
A necklace hung around my neck, a small, golden pendant resting on my collarbone. It was of a special gold, we called it fajar aldhab or Gold of Dawn, a red-shimmering type of gold. This had been a present by my father, who, for some reason or the other, liked it, when I wore it. Coincidentally, I liked to wear it as well.
As we were indoors, my feet were bare.
I entered at my father's side, who wore full white tie, including tie and cummerbund, looking splendid as always. His arm was linked with mine as we made a grand entrance to... a party of four, the guests from the Empire arriving escorted by a Handmaiden in a few minutes.
Prince Elian and Abbas both wore white tie suits as well, Abbas looking a slight bit uncomfortable - then again, every soldier did in such suits. Elian, on the other hand, looked dashing. Wouldn't we both have girlfriends, I would make a pass or two at him, but alas... Marcella was more beautiful then him and Razia combined.
Speaking of which, Razia wore the same dress as before, but Fara had changed into something reflecting her Lasite origins: The Princess of Megido had changed into a halterneck covering her breasts, but which left the shoulders free, a bare midriff and a pair of harem pants, vambraces and large, golden, hoop earrings adorning her. Her bare midriff did nothing to hide the fact, that she was well-trained - not as excessively as other Lasite women I knew, for example her mother, but quite well.
Her vambraces were decorated with inlays of silver and gold, but also three jewels on either side, a ruby, a sapphire and an emerald. I knew, if she would be allowed, she would carry her large scimitar on her hip, but Dad had asked for an unarmed evening, so it would be an unarmed evening.
Still, Fara looked breathtaking.
Handmaidens were putting on the last finishing touches and Elian greeted us: "Ah, our generous hosts!" He rose. "Wonderful! It begins, soon."
"Can't wait to get it over with, eh?", I asked with a grin.
"Yep.", Elian replied, "State Dinners are not my forte."
"Indeed, I heard as much from your Mother.", Dad said and shook hands with the other man, "Let's see if we can't change a bit to make it more bearable. Speaking of... Tara?"
"Preparations are nearly complete.", Dad's Handmaiden said with a smile. "The Seating Order is as you requested as well."
"Wonderful.", he said and smiled into the round. "Let's go over it."
Tara nodded and moved to the bow-facing head of the table. "At the one head, we have you yourself as requested.", she began, then nodded to me, "To your right, Aurelia." She began the round, placing her hands on the back of the next two seats, to my right. "The Morozovs." Next pair, as it was declared, were: "Prince Elian and Miss Wasima." Then we were at the aft-facing head of the table. "Emperor Adrean and...", to his right, "...Empress Anna."
I got what Dad had arranged: Mixing the groups. Breaking the ice by breaking the structure.
I grinned at him as Tara continued, he grinned back for but a moment.
"To their right, Princess Fara and Commander Shabaaltay.", Tara passed those two chairs and ended with the pair to Dad's left. "And finally, the Petrenkos."
"Very good.", Dad said, "Food's almost ready, too?"
"Indeed."
"Now we only need to wait for the guests.", he said and glanced to one corner, where a Handmaiden waited with a trolley, drinks of water already prepared, then to the other, where a quartet with traditional instruments was prepared to provide ambient music. "That's fine as well. You outdid yourself again."
Tara bowed her head in gratitude towards the compliment, then cocked her head. I saw the button in her ear, a small radio - just because she was a traditional Handmaiden did not mean, that she denied modern technology at every turn of the way.
"One minute.", she warned and retreated to the starboard wall.
Dad nodded, then turned to Elian. "Say, Elian, you were at the Archipelago a few months ago. Did you meet Madame Rialtóir?", he asked.
"Indeed I did.", the Prince said, starting the small talk, "The Madame, her husband and her daughter, Nolly. A cute girl. You see..."
And from there, it went until the doors opened and a Handmaiden led Adrean and his delegation into the Large Dining Room.
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:58 pm

As previously mentioned, the six Astarians had collected their bags from the aft of the ship, and would change later to be picked uo by helicopter as the Idolon was now away.

Now, after having put the bags aside, Adrean, Anna, Pavel, Alicia, Yuri and Patricia now follow an Handmaiden towards the Dining Room, the men still dressed in their Dress Uniforms, their peaked caps in hand and their swords at their side, while their wives still have their illusion dresses and their small handbags.

As they enter, Adrean, just like the others, can't help but raise an eyebrow slightly for a second qs they see their hosts have changed into white tie without telling them first. But their faces quickly go back to being friendly and smiling.
"So this is a Fistan Alsham eh?" Starts the Empress as she turns to Aurelia. "It looks very nice Princess, and you look very natural in it. Still, as an Astarian woman, I can't help but feel it leaves a lot of skin unprotected.
-I agree, it looks quite nice." continues Adrean, before turning back to Damir. "You look sharp too Prince. But with all due respect, we would have liked to be told beforehand that you would be changing before dinner. Because now, with the Idolon being already miles away and the bags we got basically holding a combat uniform and a lifejacket harness, I can't help but feel wrongly dressed for the occasion.
-Don't worry man, it's just for dinner." says Pavel as he lightly taps the Emperor's shoulder before turning as well to Damir. "Anyway everyone, I'm sorry to say this, but due to the situation unrqveling, we'll have to leave just after dinner to go back home and assess a few things for tomorrow." Explains the blonde Colonel.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 am

Astares Amauricanum wrote:As previously mentioned, the six Astarians had collected their bags from the aft of the ship, and would change later to be picked uo by helicopter as the Idolon was now away.

Now, after having put the bags aside, Adrean, Anna, Pavel, Alicia, Yuri and Patricia now follow an Handmaiden towards the Dining Room, the men still dressed in their Dress Uniforms, their peaked caps in hand and their swords at their side, while their wives still have their illusion dresses and their small handbags.

As they enter, Adrean, just like the others, can't help but raise an eyebrow slightly for a second qs they see their hosts have changed into white tie without telling them first. But their faces quickly go back to being friendly and smiling.
"So this is a Fistan Alsham eh?" Starts the Empress as she turns to Aurelia. "It looks very nice Princess, and you look very natural in it. Still, as an Astarian woman, I can't help but feel it leaves a lot of skin unprotected.
-I agree, it looks quite nice." continues Adrean, before turning back to Damir. "You look sharp too Prince. But with all due respect, we would have liked to be told beforehand that you would be changing before dinner. Because now, with the Idolon being already miles away and the bags we got basically holding a combat uniform and a lifejacket harness, I can't help but feel wrongly dressed for the occasion.
-Don't worry man, it's just for dinner." says Pavel as he lightly taps the Emperor's shoulder before turning as well to Damir. "Anyway everyone, I'm sorry to say this, but due to the situation unrqveling, we'll have to leave just after dinner to go back home and assess a few things for tomorrow." Explains the blonde Colonel.

Large Dining Room of the Aurelia.

We did notice the raised eyebrows, but to be quite honest, we blamed it on the style of clothing rather then the fact, that we changed in the first place.
When Adrean told us that, Dad raised an eyebrow himself.
"To my knowledge, it is customary, even in the Empire, to be dressed in White Tie for State Dinners.", he said and rose to his full height, managing to look down upon Adrean despite the other man being taller, simply by virtue of standing, posture and, yes, dress. "This is an ambassadorial mission, after all. My apologies, if you feel confounded, Emperor Adrean. Be aware, however..." He looked at Pavel. "...that this is not 'just dinner'." He let a beat pass. "There will also be digestifs served later."
"Light ones, of course. You need to attend duties later tonight, after all.", I added and smiled. It was not as if we didn't have duties to attend to either.
I also, naturally, slipped into the role of hostess, which I had done a few times before. Yasmin would have quite a role to fill. There was a reason, why this ship carried its name and that was not only because loved me.
Apéritifs were also present, in the form of dry crackers, designed to stimulate the appetite.
"Now, dinner is about to be served.", Dad said and made a sweeping gesture towards the table. "Shall we?"
Name plates showed quite clearly, where who was supposed to sit and as I linked arms with Dad, I was wondering how they would react to the order of seating.
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:51 pm

Even though Adrean, Anna and the others clearly saw that Damir was looking at the Emperor, they only offered neutral looks in answer, not impressed at all. It was not the first time they were subjected to it, and it would not be the last. Let the Prince have the upper ground if he wants since he's our host tonight, thinks Adrean, but starting tomorrow, he'd better remember that he is stepping in our home, with our rules.
After a few seconds though, the Emperor's neutral look starts being replaced by a rather smug smile, as he chuckles a bit.
"Apology accepted Prince, but if I may say, check your sources next time. Because I can assure you as Keisaer, that there is no such custom in the Imperium. Technically, you're supposed to be dressed in White or Black Tie from the beginning of the soirée to the end. Changing into something else, if you didn't had any troubles such as a drink spilling on your shirt or something like that, is in fact considered a slight against your host. So if you had done this, say, tomorrow night, don't be surprised if some glares, including from me, would have been sent your way.
-You're right Prince," continues Anna as her gaze goes to Pavel, then to Damir, "it is not just a simple dinner. But still, in Astarian traditions, a dinner given by the guest aboard his vessel of arrival is not to be called State Dinner, and therefore not to be considered as such Although it is still considered formal enough to warrant Black Tie, militaty Dress or even a traditional equivalent, like the Fer-Jarningur in our case. In any case, it's just a small misunderstanding, let's not leave it damage the evening." she finishes, before the six Astarians take their seats at the table without a word, seemingly used to this sort of seating order.
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:14 am

Astares Amauricanum wrote:Even though Adrean, Anna and the others clearly saw that Damir was looking at the Emperor, they only offered neutral looks in answer, not impressed at all. It was not the first time they were subjected to it, and it would not be the last. Let the Prince have the upper ground if he wants since he's our host tonight, thinks Adrean, but starting tomorrow, he'd better remember that he is stepping in our home, with our rules.
After a few seconds though, the Emperor's neutral look starts being replaced by a rather smug smile, as he chuckles a bit.
"Apology accepted Prince, but if I may say, check your sources next time. Because I can assure you as Keisaer, that there is no such custom in the Imperium. Technically, you're supposed to be dressed in White or Black Tie from the beginning of the soirée to the end. Changing into something else, if you didn't had any troubles such as a drink spilling on your shirt or something like that, is in fact considered a slight against your host. So if you had done this, say, tomorrow night, don't be surprised if some glares, including from me, would have been sent your way.
-You're right Prince," continues Anna as her gaze goes to Pavel, then to Damir, "it is not just a simple dinner. But still, in Astarian traditions, a dinner given by the guest aboard his vessel of arrival is not to be called State Dinner, and therefore not to be considered as such Although it is still considered formal enough to warrant Black Tie, militaty Dress or even a traditional equivalent, like the Fer-Jarningur in our case. In any case, it's just a small misunderstanding, let's not leave it damage the evening." she finishes, before the six Astarians take their seats at the table without a word, seemingly used to this sort of seating order.

I was about to retort, when Dad tapped his finger once against my arm, on the far side of the Astarians, and I took it as a sign to counter with humour: "Then be prepared to change quite a few times during the return visit.", I said with a smile.
If anyone believed, that Dad or anyone else was impressed by their smugness or the threat of glares, then they had quite a surprise coming.
Hint: We weren't impressed. And we had read this little tidbit.
Nice save, though, Pavel.
"Indeed, it might be prudent.", Dad began as we arrived at our head-end of the table, pulling out the chair for me. I inclined my head lightly in gratitude as I sat down. Dad waited until I was seated and until all the other ladies were seated, then he and the other gentlemen sat down. Only Fara respectfully declined having her chair pulled out, she was Lasite, after all. "Though, not in the middle of a ball... and least of all on the dance floor."
There was a round of laughs along the table, cut short by a small bell.
The little silver ring about the same second as Dad was seated and Dinner was about to begin. I knew, that it was a three course dinner, Main Course, Pudding and Dessert, and this was the Main Course, which floated in carried by a total of twelve Handmaidens, the cook and his aide making up the middle, two more Handmaidens forming the Vanguard.
The Main Course, which made my mouth water, was a Lamb Tawagine with White Bread, the mutton being slow cooked over two hours in the earthenware utensil with herbs and spices and topped with dates, garnished with almonds. It smelled deliciously.
"Damir-Amir, Aurelia-Amira, esteemed Guests...", the cook began, first bowing lightly to Dad, then to me, then to Adrean and Anna, as the Handmaidens served everyone at the same time. "...the Main Course, a Lamb Tawagine with White Bread, hot and spicy, like the Young Princess loves it."
The cook smiled at me and I inclined my head with a smile. Indeed, Kyrenaian Cuisine itself was quite spicy and I took it up a notch by liking it even spicier.
"As a drink, on the recommendation of the house, Na'na-Tea or Mint Tea.", the cook added, the two Handmaidens from the Vanguard distributing tea, first Adrean and Anna, then the other guests, then Elian and Razia, Abbas and Fara and lastly Dad and myself. It was a carefully orchestrated ballet. "The kitchen staff wishes a good appetite and we will meet again."
With that, the cook bowed, the small band in the corner took that as a cue to begin playing ambient music and Dad motioned to Adrean as the Handmaidens, cook and his aide went back to the kitchen.
"If you wish to speak a grace before dinner, please go ahead.", he said and smiled slightly. It was Kyrenaian Custom to offer the guest to speak a grace over the freshly served food, no matter if his or her culture preferred to do so after or during dinner or not all.
RPing in MT and PT.

Astares Amauricanum
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Astares Amauricanum » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:58 pm

"Don't worry, we always pack enough outfits for state visits, and all of them in double." replies Adrean to Aurelia with a humourous smile as well. Damir had tried to look down at him, he had replied with a smug smile, and none of it had worked on either party. Draw. For the Astarians, just another day at the office, and one of the things that showed they did not felt affected by it.

That aside, as they sit, Adrean, Pavel and Yuri pull out the chairs for their wives, who reply with a grateful nod and smile. And as the cooks anf Handmaidens enter, and.lay out the plates and beverages, they would all agree with Aurelia: it indeed smelled delicious. A good thing it was that just like Kyrenaian Cuisine, Astarian Cuisine was quite spicy as well.
"Thank you very much." They all say as one to the cooks and Handmaidens with a smile and a nod.
As Damir offers to the Emperor to speak a grace before eating, said Emperor turns to his wife.
"Thanks Prince,but as Highest Servant of the Stars, it is one of Anna's tasks to do such things.
- Indeed." replies the Empress, before raising her hands lightly in front of her, palms facing upwards. Her husband and their friends do the same as well.
"In the name of Ymir, Star of Life and Creation; Aranesh, Star of Agriculture and Harvest; Hava Star of the Sea, Rivers and Travel; and Njord, Star of Weather and Wind, we thank you for having led our guests from across the oceans safely to us, and for allowing them to honor us with this delicious dinner. May the fields of Kyrenaia give its inhabitants plentiful harvests to the end of times. Moreover, I would also like to extend a smal prayer to Melima, Star of Healing and Medicine. May you see that in the coming months, the lands of our guests do not get plagued by the COVID 19, like many countries are already and will be. Amen." recites the Empress.
-Amen." finish the other Astarians, before putting their hands back down, grabbing their forks qnd knives, and, per Astarian customs, waiting for their hosts to start eating before doing so.
Last edited by Astares Amauricanum on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats

Kyrenaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrenaia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:08 am

Astares Amauricanum wrote:"Don't worry, we always pack enough outfits for state visits, and all of them in double." replies Adrean to Aurelia with a humourous smile as well. Damir had tried to look down at him, he had replied with a smug smile, and none of it had worked on either party. Draw. For the Astarians, just another day at the office, and one of the things that showed they did not felt affected by it.

That aside, as they sit, Adrean, Pavel and Yuri pull out the chairs for their wives, who reply with a grateful nod and smile. And as the cooks anf Handmaidens enter, and.lay out the plates and beverages, they would all agree with Aurelia: it indeed smelled delicious. A good thing it was that just like Kyrenaian Cuisine, Astarian Cuisine was quite spicy as well.
"Thank you very much." They all say as one to the cooks and Handmaidens with a smile and a nod.
As Damir offers to the Emperor to speak a grace before eating, said Emperor turns to his wife.
"Thanks Prince,but as Highest Servant of the Stars, it is one of Anna's tasks to do such things.
- Indeed." replies the Empress, before raising her hands lightly in front of her, palms facing upwards. Her husband and their friends do the same as well.
"In the name of Ymir, Star of Life and Creation; Aranesh, Star of Agriculture and Harvest; Hava Star of the Sea, Rivers and Travel; and Njord, Star of Weather and Wind, we thank you for having led our guests from across the oceans safely to us, and for allowing them to honor us with this delicious dinner. May the fields of Kyrenaia give its inhabitants plentiful harvests to the end of times. Moreover, I would also like to extend a smal prayer to Melima, Star of Healing and Medicine. May you see that in the coming months, the lands of our guests do not get plagued by the COVID 19, like many countries are already and will be. Arem." recites the Empress.
-Arem." finish the other Astarians, before putting their hands back down, grabbing their forks qnd knives, and, per Astarian customs, waiting for their hosts to start eating before doing so.

I smiled - I knew, that Astarian Cuisine was relatively spicy as well, but... the cooks made the dinner how I liked it.
There was spicy, spicier, spiciest, eye-wateringly spicy, Oh-my-Gods-this-is-spicy, Gimme-water-this-is-too-spicy, fire-spitting spicy and stomach perforation spicy. My taste was just a smidgen below the fire spitting. There was a reason, why there was mint tea served.
Bon Appétit.
Anyway, we remained respectfully silent as they spoke there graces and there was a small moment of pause as that had finished and the Astarians looked at us, or rather Dad, expectantly. He knew, that it was custom in the Empire for the host to start before anyone else started.
He smiled.
"Thank you for the blessings, Empress.", he said and motioned to Adrean, "I'm afraid, that we don't speak Graces before the dinner. We thank our Gods for the meals in temples and shrines, by both sacrifice and deed - so please, go ahead and begin before it gets cold."
Problem was, in our culture, it was rude for the host to begin first. There was a reason, why the Kyrenaian Tea Ceremony worked in the way it did, with the eldest first, then the highest ranking guest - but as Dad was older then all others at the table, he, as host, still came last.
RPing in MT and PT.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates