NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Suspicious Stew

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Suspicious Stew

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:14 am

Here's a really dumb idea I came up with trying to stay awake after a long day of work after waking up early so I could wake up later.
Hope you all like @@LEADER@@-o's.

Title: Suspicious Stew
The Issue: During your brother's dog's birthday party, you and your family were served alphabet soup as an appetizer. However, the letters in your soup were arranged in a very threatening manner.
Validity: All.

Option 1: "d e a t. Do I have to spell it out for you?" says your uncle, leaving out an obvious u, g, and h floating around. "The caterer is obviously a crockpot out to cause a revolution. Off with his head!"
[effect] missiles are shot at clouds for being anti-government

Option 2: "It's just a coincidence, I assure you!" cries the caterer, twirling his mustache while stuffing a small bottle behind his apron. "Of course, if it were deliberate — and it definitely wasn't, but if it were, it might serve you well to openly listen to your most fervent critics. Just some food for thought.
[effect] socioeconomic revolutions frequently begin around lunch

Option 3: "Why, the chances of this are extraordinary!" awes your Minister of Consommé, observing a suggestive cluster of noodles with a microscope. "This must be a message from Violet! I think she's telling you to... eat it. Obviously, alphabet soup needs to be adopted as our national cuisine and made our primary export. We must worship the divine broth!"
[effect] dogs are fed soup in hopes of being gifted enlightenment

Option 4: "No! I hate alphabet soup!" laments your brother, staring at his bowl trying to find a letter other than l, s, o, e, and r. "We should ban it, and use illegal batches to drown anyone who has anything to do with it in revenge! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!" His dog begins to drink his soup.
[effect] cereals and doughnuts have been banned for containing too many o's

The Issue: During your brother's dog's birthday party, you and your family were served alphabet soup as an appetizer. However, the letters in your soup were arranged in a very threatening manner.

Option 1: "d e a t. Do I have to spell it out for you?" says your uncle, leaving out an obvious u, g, and h floating around. "The caterer is obviously a crockpot out to cause a revolution. Off with his head!"

Option 2: "It's just a coincidence, I assure you!" cries the caterer, twirling his mustache while stuffing a small bottle behind his apron. "Of course, if it were deliberate — and it definitely wasn't, but if it were, it might serve you well to openly listen to your most fervent critics. Just some food for thought.

Option 3: "Why, the chances of this are extraordinary!" awes your Minister of Consommé, observing a suggestive cluster of noodles with a microscope. "This must be a message from Violet! I think she's telling you to... eat it. Obviously, alphabet soup needs to be adopted as our national cuisine and made our primary export. We must worship the divine broth!"
[effect] dogs are fed soup in hopes of being gifted enlightenment

Option 4: "No! I hate alphabet soup!" laments your brother, staring at his bowl trying to find a letter other than l, s, o, e, and r. "We should ban it, and use illegal batches to drown those who make it in revenge! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!" His dog begins to drink his soup.

Validity: Free Speech
Option 2a: "It's just a coincidence, I assure you!" cries the caterer, twirling his mustache while stuffing a small bottle behind his apron. "Of course, if it were deliberate — and it definitely wasn't, but if it were, it might serve you well to regularly dedicate some time towards listening to public criticism of your leadership. Just some food for thought."

Validity: Not-So-Free Speech
Option 2b: "It's just a coincidence, I assure you!" cries the caterer, twirling his mustache while stuffing a small bottle behind his apron. "Of course, if it were deliberate — and it definitely wasn't, but if it were, it might serve you well to loosen up on those restrictions on public criticism of your leadership. Just some food for thought."

Option 3: "He's right, people giving meaning to random events is just how the cookie crumbles," says your sister, poking at a cluster of noodles arranged in a very suggestive manner. "We should make courses in probability and statistics mandatory across the nation, as well as logic courses to help explain causality and confirmation biases."
[effect] anti-establishment messages written in cake frosting are dubbed a coincidence

Option 4: "Aw, I hate alphabet soup," laments your brother, wearing a birthday hat and staring at his soup trying to find a letter other than l, s, o, e, and r. "You should ban alphabet soup so nobody else has to suffer. Oh, and make everyone who's made it cry. They'll pay... they'll all pay..." His dog begins to drink his soup.

Option 1: "d e a t. Do I have to spell it out for you?" says your uncle, his beard caught in your soup. "The caterer is obviously a crockpot out to cause a revolution. Off with his head!"

Validity: Free Speech
Option 2a: "It's just a coincidence, I assure you!" cries the caterer, twirling his mustache while stuffing a small bottle behind his apron. "Of course, if it were deliberate — and it definitely wasn't, but if it were, it might serve you well to regularly dedicate some time towards listening to public criticism of your leadership. Just some food for thought."

Validity: Not-So-Free Speech
Option 2b: "It's just a coincidence, I assure you!" cries the caterer, twirling his mustache while stuffing a small bottle behind his apron. "Of course, if it were deliberate — and it definitely wasn't, but if it were, it might serve you well to loosen up on those restrictions on public criticism of your leadership. Just some food for thought."

Option 3: "He's right, people giving meaning to random events is just how the cookie crumbles," says your sister, poking at a cluster of noodles arranged in a very suggestive manner. "We should make courses in probability and statistics mandatory across the nation, as well as logic courses to help explain causality and confirmation biases."
[effect] anti-establishment messages written in cake frosting are dubbed a coincidence

Option 4: "Aw, I hate alphabet soup," laments your brother, wearing a birthday hat and staring at his soup trying to find a letter other than l, s, o, e, and r. "You should ban alphabet soup so nobody else has to suffer. Oh, and make everyone who's made it cry. They'll pay... they'll all pay..." His dog begins to drink his soup.
Last edited by Jutsa on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:53 am, edited 12 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Alphabet soup with only four letters? You must not have been very hungry.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 pm

From my experience, noodles generally don't make it to the top very often, but I decided to throw in a few more letters for the sake of it. :)

ed: And I'm blissfully aware of how dumb this is. :rofl:
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:11 am

Is it even possible to arrange the noodles? Or even to decide which ones float?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:29 am

Probably not. :roll:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:22 am

Jutsa wrote:Probably not. :roll:

I see. Carry on
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:12 am

During your brother's dog's birthday party

I don't actually have much in terms of feedback here, just wanted to express the joy this draft has sparked within me - this is extremely dumb and I love it.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:19 am

I'm all for silliness, but this issue gets very weak around options 3 and 4. The issue could work, if delivered with some further humour to develop the joke beyond the initial premise, but it needs to go somewhere.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:21 am

I think I could get behind that, Santa. :)

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am

I sound like an idiot, but what does the first one unscramble to?
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:35 am

I'm not sure if you heard or seen the show Martha Speaks, but I this line here:
His dog begins to drink his soup.
is the perfect opportunity to sneak in a reference ;)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:11 am

Does the dog get to eat alphabet soup, or does it have its own food?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm

Hmm. Hope I made three and four a bit more interesting. :)
ed: oh yeah and 4 technically suggests corporal punishment.
ed3: "I sound like an idiot, but what does the first one unscramble to?" deat. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:16 am

Slightly adjusted option 4 to be both more broad. That small shift to imply those who eat it adds a surprising weight of dark and heavily ironic humor. :)

Moved this to last call. :lol:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?