NATION

PASSWORD

The Prince, The Proposal and The Poppy (Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Austrysia
Secretary

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

The Prince, The Proposal and The Poppy (Closed)

Postby Austrysia » Sun May 17, 2020 10:15 pm

Palais Hildebrandt, Palastviertel, Viehburg

The Palastviertel, or Palace District, of Viehburg was one of the most beautiful and manicured districts within the city. For nearly four centuries, various aristocrats and archdukes built luxurious mansions to reflect the changing fashion trends, afforded with loans they could never repay. In turn, these palaces would change hands numerous times over a century, but usually kept the previous family's name as homage to their vision. The Palais Hildebrandt was build by Count Fredrick Johann von Hildebrandt in 1907, after his family profited during the industrial boom in the early 20th century. Like many other palaces within the close quartered city, an ornate marble facade presented itself to onlookers from the cobble streets. Beyond the iron rod gate, that stood at the arch of the tunnel, was the the open courtyard at the center of the house. Mostly covered in cobblestone, much like the streets beyond, there was a little grass to display a manicured garden. As the palace sore three stories high, several large windows reviled glimpses into the French Rococo-styled interior.

From one of the second story windows, a women was watching children play with a ball in the courtyard. That women, Archduchess Béla of Austrysia, could not stop staring at her four beautiful children: Marie, Caroline, Claudia and Matthias. How carefree and naive we are at that age. In the silence of the room, she could faintly hear the joyful cries of her children through the large glass window. The piano parlor, only used for lessons and entertaining guests, was generally empty most days. The silence of the parlor was only broken by the cracking of the Archduchess' knuckles every half hour or so. It was a poor, nervous tick she gained during her youth. Even though her nanny use to slap her hands out of annoyance when younger, she never changed. Barely sleeping the night before, it seemed she might have cracked her knuckles a thousand times in the last twenty-four hours. She could not sleep or eat, but only think. She could only think about how her little spark of joy was about to leave her, and, at a time coming too soon, she would barely see her at all.

It was earlier in the year that, completely off guard, Emperor Rudolf the Second called the couple to the Silberburg to discuss something. They never imagined that the Emperor, letter in hand, would approach them with such an offer, or order. The House of Aeylgarn, the ruling dynasty of Aellyria, would approach them asking to consider a marriage agreement between a child of the Aeylgarn House, and a child from the House of Talmburg, but specifically their Marie. Perhaps, a few years later, they could consider that offer, but, per the foreign court's demand, she was to be sent immediately to Aellyria, and to be raised there. Without her parents.

Marie was her first child, and she joyously wept for hours when she was born. Perhaps not the easiest one to raise, as Matthias took that title, she was still the most happy one of the bunch. Always laughing and running around. Soon, Béla thought, her laughter will be a distant memory. An echo of a memory she will barely remember, or perhaps a sound that shall haunt her dreams. She could not bare these thoughts, and wished she could just take her sweet Marie and run away. But, while this was not the life they chose, it was a decision they, her and her husband, had made. And, just as she had thought of him, he appeared. Standing nearly six feet talk, it was hard to ignore his presence. Archduke Karl of Austrysia, great-grandson of the Emperor, was not someone unaware of his situation, both to his life as a Talmburg or as a husband. While she might not think he pays attention, he heard his wive's sobbing throughout the long night. He knew, if they made this decision, she would never forgive him.

Moving closer to her, Karl placed his hands upon her shoulders and leaned his head against hers. Giving her a light kiss on the back of her head, they stood there in silence for a moment. Waiting a few moments, he finally spoke: "I know there is nothing I can say, or do, to help. Because, if there was, I beg you tell me."

In the silence of the room, he could hear her swallow. Béla wanted to speak, but she was afraid that once she began to speak a flood of emotions would pour out. Taking a deep breath, she answered, "There is only one thing I want, and you know what that is."

"I know it hurts," Karl immediately responded, "and it will for awhile. But this decision we are making does not only affect us."

Béla immediately closed her ears. She knew he was going to say. That this would be the best opportunity Marie would get, both in terms of a world-class education and being matched with a reputable husband. Still, she thought, you could say Marie would own the world, but that would not change the fact that they would take her away. Marie was their daughter, and not some pawn of politics.

Jerking her shoulders to rid of his hands, she swung around and stared at him straight in the eye. "But who is making this decision? Us? Or your family?" Whenever she said "your family" it always stung him. Perhaps it was a complicated affair, but he never saw it as an "us versus them" situation. "Our family," He said in a firm tone. "We are doing what is best for our daughter. You are allowed to be upset, to cry and even to lash out. But, I pray, you see the reason with this situation."

Before Béla could respond, a maid entered the parlor, "Your Imperial and Royal Highness's," she gave a slight bow, "Ambassador Zimbrean-Albu has called to inform us that the Aellyrian delegation will arrive in five minutes." Letting a moment pass, the Archduke turned and ordered, "Very well. Notify the other servants, gather the children and prepare to meet them downstairs in the courtyard." Not letting the conversation continue for another moment, either out of annoyance or disregard, Karl left the parlor with the maid at once. Standing still and letting out a sign, Béla followed behind.

As the cars drove through the gate, the family stood infront of the massive oak doors to the palace, along with their servants. Archduke Karl was donning a traditional blue three piece suit, along with his heirloom cuffs. His wife, who preferred a simple wardrobe, was dressed in a flowing silver colored dress with several golden bracelets. Finally, the children were dressed in their best clothes, with the young boy in a miniature suit, and the girls in floral sundresses. Specifically, Marie wore a dress decorated in purple poppies.

As the cars entered the courtyard and pulled to a stop, the courtyard was silent as they waiting for their guests to emerge.
Last edited by Austrysia on Mon May 18, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Sun May 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Lady Ynessis inspected her perfectly manicured fingernails, before slipping on her white gloves. Everything about her was disturbingly perfect, from her crisp white dress, to her perfectly braided blonde hair set down her back, her piercing blue eyes that seemed to look into your soul. She was everything the White Lotus had made her, perfectly Aellyrian in every way. Sitting across from her in their limousine was Captain Irn, an Imperial Clan member and military captain. His pressed gray service uniform showed the discipline in which he carried himself, while his blond hair was cut into perfect military fashion, his only imperfection the left over scar on his neck wear a bayonet had caught him in one of the various wars Aellyria had fought. They looked oddly similar to outsiders, like two sides of the same coin. However, most Aellyrians did, being 98 percent blonde haired and blue eyed. There was very little diversity in Aellyria and that is how it was preferred. The two arrived at the residence of the House of Talmburg. The Captain exited first allowing himself to help Lady Ynessis out of the car, and they knocked on the door, three perfectly crisp knocks so as not to be mistaken for wind.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 pm

As the three firm knocks echoed throughout the grand foyer, two servants opened the grand oak doors. There is the women that will take my ray of sunshine away. Béla did not even attempt to flash their visitors a smile as they moved into their home. She could only keep her eyes on the blonde hair women, like a protective lioness surveying a hunter. The Archduke, starting off the introductions, gave a brief bow to their guests. Almost in complete unison, the Archduchess, children and staff bowed and curtsied as the ruffling of their clothes broke the silence within the room.

Stepping forward, Karl began, "As your honored host this afternoon, please let me offer you a warm welcome to our fair and beautiful Empire. As you gaze upon the great halls of the Palais Hildebrandt, I wish this place to feel like a second home. As you know, I am Archduke and Prince Karl of Austrysia, Vegzyor, Franzia, Pomerania and Tereboulia. And this," the Archduke motioned to Béla, "is my beautiful wife, Archduchess and Princess Béla of Austrysia, Vegzyor, Franzia, Pomerania and Tereboulia, Countess of Trsošćan."

"A pleasure," the Archduchess attempted to say in her kindness sounding tone.

The Archduke continued, "These, of course, are our beautiful children: Caroline, Claudia, Matthias, and, most importantly, Marie." Stepping forward, the children, once again, bowed and curtsied. The Archduchess, along with the children, move forward next to Karl, waiting for the foreign delegation to give their introductions.

As the Aellyrian delegation entered through the main doors of the palace, Ambassador Alexandra Zimbrean-Albu was exiting her car. Dressed in her robin blue dress and simple white heels, she emerged quickly from the car which flew the Austrysian diplomatic standard. Fuck. Could have the diver gone any slower. Describing the Ambassador on edge was an understatement. Given strict orders from the K.u.K. Foreign Affairs office, she knew this assignment could make or break her career. If this marriage deal went through, which rested on this delegation from the White Lotus, Austrysia could see one of the largest foreign policy shifts since the declaration of neutrality during the Eucasian War. And, of course, Alexandra could see a major promotion if she could assist in the signing of this marriage contract. Everything was on the line today, and she was already late.

Catching up to the Aellyrian delegation within the grand foyer, she waiting until the main participants of this important event made their introductions. She wondered if anyone from Aellyria would remember or recognize her.

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 am

Lady Ynessis dipped into a small curtsy, while Captain Irn bowed to the family before shaking the Archduke's hand.

Lady Ynessis regarded them for a moment, her eyes cold and clinical, her face still. "The pleasure is ours my Lord, we thank you and your family for inviting us into your home. It is quite beautiful. Lady Ynessis knelt down to look at Marie, brushing her hand on her cheek, like a doting Aunt. "Hello darling, aren't you beautiful." She said smiling at the girl before standing back up and smiling at the Archduchess, "Let us leave the men to talk," she said sweetly her words clipped but filled with honey.

While Lady Ynessis went to go discuss the arrangement with the Archduchess, Captain Irn smiled at the Archduke. "I hate to be a bother good man, but do you happen to have a place where we can smoke and chat, I know it's a bother however it's a habit I haven't been able to shake since my first year in the Army, much to my chagrin." He said almost cheerfully.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 pm

As Lady Ynessis spoke, the Archduke was off-put by the lack of emotion in the foreigner's words. Perhaps she is using her poker face, thought Karl. Moving past that, as the ladies moved to the Lady's Parlor, the Archduke motioned one of his butlers over. "See to it that tea is served in the Lady's Parlor, and that whiskey and cigars are prepared in the Smoking Room. Have the children and other guests taken to the solarium to relax as we attend to business." Giving a nod of confirmation, the Archduke's orders were relayed throughout the palace.

Motioning to another hall, he responded, "Please, Captain Irn, this way." Walking down an unspecific hallway, ornate columns appeared on each side alongside various oil paintings. Arriving to the Smoking Room, it was a medium side room decorated with dark wood paneling with gold finishes. Clearly constructed when the house was built, various depictions of Greek creation scenes could be seen above every doorway. Besides the scent of cigar smoke, which dominated the room, the Captain would also immediately notice various animal heads placed along the walls. Arriving at a bar within the room, a barman behind the marble counter handed the Archduke a drink, clearly something he loved. Swirling the glass to enjoy the aroma, he took a sip. "Please Captain," he motioned to the barman, "drinks or cigars, we have it all here." Raising his glass, Karl continued, "I prefer my vintage whiskey to be completely honest."

Taking another sip, he asked, "Now, you mentioned your time in the Army earlier, how long have you been serving?"

As Lady Ynessis and the Archduchess entered the Lady's Parlor, decorated in light pink color pallet with gold trim, the ladies entered right as the tea, just prepared, was being served. The maids additionally brought in a tray of scones and artisan cookies. Motioning to a small table and two chairs near a window that had a lovely view of the side street, the Archduchess sat down. Bringing the two cups of tea, the Archduchess asked for two sugars and a scone on the side.

There was silence for a few minutes as the two lades sipped on their tea. Béla did not try to hide her disdain, but, remembering her husbands words, broke the silence. "Well, Lady Ynessis, here we are. I must say you must have traveled quite far to meet us. Tell me, how is Aellyria this time of year?"

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Thu May 21, 2020 12:28 am

Captain Irn smiled, however the look in his eyes was one of broken glass reflecting light in a pool of water. He lit one of the offered cigars and thanked his host in the process. He paused and thought for a moment, "I've served in the army for thirty four years," he said, "however times were different back then, every boy of sixteen years was conscripted into the Emperor's army, this was of course back when the current Holy Emperor's grandfather was on the throne, before the period of the Triumvirate and the rules of both Maelyx Aeylgarn and Nesaenna Aeylgarn. It was considered honorable, now of course we do nothing of the sort, one must be eighteen to be enlisted and twenty to be an officer. I think it makes them soft, but we must change with the times I suppose." He said with a great sigh, enjoying his cigar.

Lady Ynessis' smiled politely, nonplussed by the Archduchess attempt to clean information about her daughter's future homeland, and took a sip of her tea delicately, without effort she exuded grace and professionalism. "The Holy Empire is varied in weather throughout it's many territories, however in Aellyria proper it is mild this time of year, the winters do get a bit chilly I'll admit, especially in the far north, but it's a beautiful land nonetheless." She studied the Archduchess for a moment, "I can see from your disposition that you are quite stressed, I assure you we will do whatever is within our power to ease your concerns." She said, resting her perfectly manicured hands on her lap after taking a sip of her tea. She knew her mother would have been worried as well if her family hadn't been exterminated in one of the Holy Empires previous wars, she was only twenty six after all, and her family had been one of warriors and consorts, she had been six when they had come The House of the White Lotus, not nearly as powerful as they are today, merely a harem of concubines back then, now advisors and spymasters , they had as much influence as the first Estate within the Imperial halls.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 pm

The Archduke nodded as Captain Irn spoke. "I see. I also served in the military as an officer, per my social position, but I do not think I could ever make a career out of it. Thankfully, I never had to serve in any major conflict during my service. And, indeed, I feel like many things have changed even just in my lifetime. While Emperor Rudolf has reigned for all my life, the rate at which the world changes astounds me. I mean, I am only thirty-five and the amount of changes, both with technology and politically, make me wonder if I will even recognize the world in another thirty years."

Karl took another sip from his drink, as he pondered his words. And already we are preparing our oldest girl for marriage, he thought. How fast the years fade.

Béla turned her head slightly, as she was caught off guard with Lady Ynessis' response. While she could give her some credit in regards to her flawless mannerisms, something still was off. Setting the teacup on the table, the Archduchess re-positioned herself in her chair. "Well, Lady Ynessis, let us discuss what is in your power. You are correct that I, a mother discussing the fate of her oldest child, am quite unsure about this whole situation. Tell me, as I fail to understand, what benefit is it sending my daughter to some foreign court where I barely will see her anymore?" Silent for a moment, the Archduchess realized she might have been too blunt, but she could not take back her words. Sipping on her tea again, she waited to see how Lady Ynessis would respond.

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 pm

Captain Irn nodded in agreement, even now the Holy Emperor was a child, something that rarely happened. Not only that the church and crown hadn't been combined since the first Holy Emperor of Aellyria. While war had become a less important part of their culture, when he was a child, they were taught that most of them would die by thirty for their clan either on Aellyrian soil or fighting in mercenary groups in far off lands. Aellyrians had never signed any sort of rules of war and had lived by that for generations. However they had changed, now they could not fight unless in defense of their allies or nation. It was eerie how much had changed, he cleared his throat snapping out of his thoughts. "I can only hope the change is for the best, and that our children will be prepared for their adulthood." he said with a sigh. "So, I understand that you are an advocate for this betrothal?" he asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady Ynessis tapped her finger on her chin considering for a moment, "Well to answer your first question, when it comes to your daughters acclimation into the Aellyrian court, I hold all the power. As her mentor only the Holy Emperor could contradict a decision I make, and trust that I have her best interest in mind." she said pausing to take a sip of her tea. "As to the benefit, your daughter will become one of the most influential people in an Empire than spans worlds, not just miles. The Holy Aellyrian Empire is an empire that cannot be matched in military might by any one nation. A nation where every man and woman is prepared to die for their Holy Emperor and the Imperial family, of which your daughter will one day be a member, as she will marry Prince Erik Aeylgarn the cousin of the Holy Emperor himself and son of the Last Dragon, Maelyx Aeylgarn." she said this of course with reverence as even though he had passed away, Maelyx was still beloved by the Holy Empire even to the extreme by some. "I understand your worry, as a mother I can hardly blame you, however I can also guarantee she will enjoy a safety and influence that will be unmatched by any other opportunity she will receive."

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 pm

The Archduke let out a chuckle and responsed, "Yes would be my simple answer." He motioned to a pair of brown, leather armchairs, and continued, "But, as nothing is simple in this affair, let us sit." Throwing himself back in the chair, Karl took another sip. "To be quite honest with you, Captain, I have no ill will with this arrangement. While I understand part of this is doing a service, might I say on the behalf of both our two nations, I do worry for how this arrangement might turn out. I am not sure how common it is in Aellyria to marry young, but it is a very rare situation for any Austrysian. And, if I might be straight to the point, what is the character of this Prince Erik?" Or, how can we even determine what character this boy has at such a young age? So much can change with a boy over his lifetime.

"Yes, Lady Ynessis, I do hear you." She sighed, knowing that her husband used that exact argument earlier that morning. Breaking eye contact and keeping her eyes to the view beyond the window, she lamented, "And, I know that this may be the best opportunity my Little Poppy-" she paused, wishing to keep some noble composure, "that my Marie can get at having a wonderful life. But, as you have also pointed out, I am her mother and she is my first-born. To just let her out of my home would be against every bone in my body." The Archduchess went silent for a moment. The thought of sending Marie to some foreign court did not just give her anxiety, but wounded her. Some nights she could not sleep at all thinking of how Marie would be alone thousand of miles away. Would Marie ever forgive me? Or, could I ever forgive myself?

Taking a sip of tea before continuing, she asked, "Now, if I was to give my blessings to this union, I would need to know more. As you have said, you would be my daughter's guardian while she is raised at the Imperial Court. How will she be raised? What will she be taught? Or, if better said, what do you wish to impart upon my Marie?

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:07 am

Captain Irn nodded in understanding, it was uncommon in other nations to marry young, however in Aellyria it was not so uncommon for the rich and powerful and even commoners practiced it frequently. As for Prince Erik's character who could say, he took a puff of his cigar while thinking for a moment. "In Aellyria, it is not so uncommon for us to marry young, Aellyria is a culture of large families and clans. We tend to marry younger than most, however I can understand how that might be strange for you. As for the young Prince's character, I have only met him on formal family occasions, as I am a distant cousin of his through his mothers side, however he is a calm boy. Very inquisitive and precocious for his age, he notices things other children do not. However he is not unkind to other children or even adults."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady Ynessis paused for a moment, taking another sip of tea. The White Lotus rarely discussed their curriculum with anyone it was kept private at the behest of the Holy Emperor. "Your daughter will be raised to the highest standard of etiquette, the White Lotus is a place of perfection. She will be physically fit of course, however she will not harden to the world as people often do with hard physical exercise. She will learn much of art and philosophy as well as Aellyrian culture, not only that she will learn how to be an adept in Aellyrian politics, in truth she may one day be one of the most influential people in the Holy Empire. However most importantly she will become wise from our teachings, to be able to discuss and contemplate things that the average woman of leisure rarely does." She put her cup down on the table, taking a moment to make eye contact with the Archduchess, studying her features. "I can promise you, she will become a greater woman for it."

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm

"I see," the Archduke responded. "Being kind and inquisitive is a good place to start." While many things can change in a child, it brought Karl some peace that the child seemed to be on the right path to a point. Finishing his drink, he motioned to the barkeep to take his glass. Large families and clans seem like an odd and familiar concept at the same time. He humored if there were really any differences between a noble house of Austrysia and a clan of Aellyria. Returning to the subject, the Archduke continued, "So, Captain Irn, you said you were a distant cousin of the Prince through his mothers side. Do you know the family well? Can you tell me more about them as a dynasty?"

Nodding slowly as Lady Ynessis spoke, Béla was still torn. On one hand, it seemed her little girl would receive the best education that she could ever hope for. And, at the end of the day, perhaps it was better she be positioned at the top of the social ladder than the middle. Still, it seems in many ways all of her beautiful Austrysian features would be scooped out of her, and replaced by the thoughts and words of the White Lotus. "I have to agree and say it does sound like an almost perfect arrangement. While I appreciate the details, and understand why her education would be formed in such a way, I need to know what aspects of Austrysian life and culture she will be able to keep. I mean, will she be able to have any Austrysian tutors, learn our Empire, or," the Archduchess paused for a moment. "Will she be able to still see my husband and I? Can we visit and correspond with her?"

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 am

Captain Irn shrugged noncommittally, "I am a third cousin to his mother, I was assigned as part of the team that protects the Prince and Holy Emperor, to say I know the family well would be complicated, as I knew the Princes father as well as one would know the husband of your third cousin, which is to say in passing. She was of course Maelyxs second wife, although he had many bastards, he was not to say the most faithful man in his later years. However the Dynasty I know well, as does every child of Aellyria. The Aeylgarns have ruled Aellyria in an unbroken chain since the early iron age, that is to say 900 bce. However they started when their ancestor, a young warlord originating from Cinyras in the bronze age on the north island of Ithaca, which Prince Erik now holds as his lands, that was in 2000 bce according to the historians." He said this while rubbing his chin, recalling information that he had learned as a child. "The dynasty is a strong one, albeit a brutal past, uniting the subcontinent was not a peaceful or civil affair mind you, the Aeylgarns held Aellyria together with sword and spear for six centuries before the constant uprisings stopped, their vigilance and the willingness to spill blood early in their dynasty saved them from being deposed in that era and they have given birth to men of massive size some ancestors even clearing seven feet. Erik is seeming to take after that as of right now he stands at five feet and one inch at the age of ten, he is filling out nicely though, I imagine he will be a giant of a man by the time he is full grown."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady Ynessis nodded. "She will of course be allowed to keep some of her native habits, I imagine the Austrysian predilection to desire a large family will be encouraged. As will some other traits, however she will still need to be able to assimilate. As for tutors, we have tutors from all around the world, whom also were raised in the White Lotus, however I am not allowed to disclose what nationalities any of our members come from, I'm sure you understand." she said while taking a sip of tea. "As for visits, she will be allowed to come home once a year if she so desires, however you will not be able to visit her in the House of the White Lotus, not even our own nobility in the Holy Empire can visit without consent from the Holy Emperor himself. Written letters are of course the only allowed from of correspondence without the White Lotus, it is a tradition. We like to instill the virtues of appreciation and frugality in our students, instant gratification no matter what it is, usually detracts from this."

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:03 pm

The Archduke let out a chuckle, "Seven feet? By all the saints, I do not think I have ever met a man that tall! Of course, especially in the times we live in, we may never say never." Readjusting himself in the chair, he continued, "While I cannot boast that the Talmburgs have ruled for not nearly as many centuries, our House has also seen its fair share of conflict and bloodshed. Most of our past rulers preferred to work through diplomatic or less direct ways to keep the country unified, but revolts still tended to break out. But, I believe, if we look at history as a whole, it is quite an accomplishment to have any dynasty last a few decades, let alone over a century."

"Tell me though, Captain Irn, you said you did protect the Prince and Holy Emperor in the past. Do you still do, or how do you serve the Imperial family today?"

Béla took a moment to digest Lady Ynessis' words. How could any mother accept the right to only see their child in person once a year? The Archduchess stood for a moment and moved a few paces away from the table. "Once a year," she mumbled. Perhaps she would be busy with other things, the other children, but to only see her Little Poppy only a few times in the next decade broke her heart. She tried to temper her frustration with what they already discussed, and she still knew this was an opportunity she did not want to deny, or perhaps was not allowed to deny. In that moment, Béla understood the situation that surrounded her. It did not matter what fuss she make or how much she would complain to her Karl, the Emperor most likely already gave the unofficial go ahead. Her heart sank within her chest. Perhaps when Marie turned eighteen or nineteen she would realize her limits as a mother, but to look at her child, barely taller than a rose bush, and to admit she never held any true control on how her life would fair...Béla could not bare the thought. Rubbing her wrists, she began to control her breathing. The Archduchess typically did not prefer to write letters, as she found the whole thing archaic, but things would need to change, a great many things.

Walking back over to her chair, she sat and faced Lady Ynessis. Observing her for a moment, she said, "I do not favor this whole arrangement, I hope I have made that clear. But, by the higher powers that may be, I will have little say on how things move forward from here. Perhaps overtime I will become more warm to what is taking place in a few years, but only God will know how this will all end." Pausing for a moment, she continued, "Seeing Marie once a year is better than never again, I suppose."

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:26 am

Captain Irn considered the question carefully, "I still protect the Prince and Holy Emperor, unfortunately I am a bit old for most of the leg work, I have other roles." he said without elaborating further. "As for dynasties, I would agree, a dynasty for even a handful of generations is an impressive thing. At this moment, he felt a barely perceptible vibrate in his breast pocket. He glanced at his watch, "I believe at this time we should move to the business of the day my lord, if you would feel comfortable with that, I'm sure my compatriot the Lady Ynessis and your wife would like to join us at this time." Although technically Lady Ynessis outranked him, it was a matter of Aellyrian etiquette for women to always join the men in these things and not the other way around. Perhaps it was outdated, however it was insisted upon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady Ynessis nodded, making eye contact with the Archduchess. "It will be difficult, however it will be bearable. She will grow into everything you desire her to be and more." she held the woman's hands in her own, hoping to ease the woman's anxiety, "The White Lotus will do right by your daughter," she then felt a soft vibrate from a small device in a concealed pocket within her dress, "Now I do believe it is time to join the gentlemen, wouldn't you agree?" she said. It was time to move on to the actual agreement of the day.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Nodding as the Captain spoke, Karl agreed, "Yes, I agree, but not here. The smoking room is not a suitable room for a conversation nor the women." Slowly rising to his feet, he straightened his suit before looking at the nearest servant. "Franz, inform the others that we shall be moving into the Dattan Parlor, and to have the room ready. Inform the Archduchess and Lady Ynessis." Beginning to walk away with the Captain, the Archduke casually remarked, "Oh, and Franz, notify the Ambassador as well."

In all honestly, Karl did not think highly of Ambassador Zimbrean-Albu. She was a middle class career climber, and was here on behalf of politicians and statesmen lackeys to interfere with family and dynastic affairs. The Emperor willed it, and so he would obey, but he would make sure the government would keep their hands off their little girl.

The Dattan Parlor was a medium sized room, but richly decorated. Located in the center of the house, Count von Hildebrandt envisioned the room to become a piece of Dattan delight after visiting the southern country in the early 20th century. As one would enter the room any guest would be immediately struck by the bright and varied colors. Ochre yellows, rich browns and burnt oranges graced the walls and floors. Rich 19th century rugs and ancient Dattan artwork was on full display. Touched off by exotic imported incenses, any guest would have their senses overwhelmed in seconds. In the middle of the room, a grand rosewood table and several richly carved chairs were pulled out of storage for today's business.

As everyone entered, the various individuals sat at the table. The Archduke and Archduchess sitting near each other, grasped each other's hand. The visitors, specifically Lady Ynessis and Captain Irn sat opposite of them. Finally, Ambassador Zimbrean-Albu sat at the head of the table, as she preferred.

Finally, we are all together," the Ambassador reflected. She was glad that the main meeting was about to begin. While she found the Archdukes' children agreeable, they were quickly beginning to bore her. Now the real work could begin. Beginning the conversation, she asked, "So where should we begin?"

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:05 am

Captain Irn and Lady Ynessis smiled politely at the Ambassador, however they were intrigued by the involvement of commoner officials within noble affairs for anything other than paperwork, however they were willing to work with the concept, not that they would be emulating it within their own nation. Lady Ynessis smiled and laced her hands together, "Well now that we're all together, I would assume we would talk about the legal side of this arrangement, such as the benefits for both nations, what it will mean for the families and any other possible questions that might be had."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Irn smiled at the couple and the ambassador and produced a folder from the briefcase he brought with him, within were the details of the benefits of the arrangement., including a discount on Aellyrian goods sold to Austrysia by the Holy Aellyrian Empire, such as metals, plastics and food which were the staples of Aellyrian industry, as well as entitle the family of the girl to attend Imperial Clan events, as well as have rights to enter and leave the nation as they so desire. This is of course as long as the girl marries Prince Erik.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:19 pm

"Of course," Ambassador Zimbrean-Albu responded. Motioning a nearby servant to pass over several folders to the visiting guests, each laid out what the Austrysian Empire was preparing to offer Aellyria. While the marriage between the Houses of Talmburg and Aeylgarn would strategically carry several benefits, this possible marriage arrangement also served as the catalyst for several Austro-Aellyrian deals. Most notably, as the Ambassador noted, was the inclusion of Aellyria into a growing Austrysian security and economic apparatus. Especially being so geographically close to Austrysia, she hoped that the economic agreements discussed today, which she discussed on behalf of His Imperial and Royal Majesties' Government, could reach a mutually beneficial middle ground.

"While I shall leave the personal arrangements for Princess Marie to her parents, and to the House of Talmburg, the Austrysian government would hope to begin talks on the creation of a possible trade and defense agreement between our two empires. We are prepare to offer a free trade deal, along with the elimination of several tariffs and the introduction of several subsidy programs to encourage foreign trade. Your thoughts, Lady Ynessis?"

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:52 am

Lady Ynessis smiled politely as she looked over the folder given to her, "Well of course, the Holy Emperor would offer the elimination of trade tariffs between the two nations as part of the marriage, not to mention lowered travel restrictions within Aellyria for Austrysian citizens. Military wise the Holy Empire would propose an air-tight mutual defense pact that both nation would benefit from. The subsidy programs would also be accepted in some industries, most likely not the three staple industries as the First Estate and the Holy Emperor prefer to keep a monopoly on those within the nation. We would also propose an education exchange program between the two nations so that we can educate our children on another nation that we have a shared common interest with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Irn was surprised, in his day the Aellyrians would never have consented to any of this, but it was a changed Aellyria he supposed, the age of secret police and death camps was closing and bringing light to a different more open structure, if that would last however was up to the Aeylgarns.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 pm

"Excellent. Naturally, I can make sure that the associate governmental bodies reach out to handle the details," Ambassador Zimbrean-Albu said smiling. She could not be more happy with how the talks were proceeding. In all honestly, the Ambassador had no interest with how the royal marriage played out. But, if it only took one princess to forge an alliance with Aellyria, then let them take the whole family!

"Now, for the media aspect, would the Holy Emperor be allowed to make any formal state visits to Austrysia to officially legalize the agreement? Perhaps a meeting between our two, great monarchs? It could be quite the display of Austro-Aellyrian might. A parade, and a ball in the capital."

Béla methodically tapped her fingers against the table. There daughter was a pawn in there games, and nothing more. The sooner this meeting was over, the better. Glancing to her husband, Karl also seemed to dread this. At least he held a better poker face.

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:43 am

Captain Irn's eyes narrowed at the prospect of the Holy Emperor visiting the nation. While the Aellyrian people held the Holy Emperor in high respect as is his divine right, other nations might not give him the same respect. "It could be arranged, if his Holiness wishes it of course, we are but the servants of our Holy Emperor. However I doubt he will refuse" he said

Lady Ynessis smiled, "It sounds delightful and we will of course extoll its benefits to our beloved Holy Emperor, there is nothing more valuable than the well being of our two nations relationship in the eyes of his Holiness. Now on to the more pressing matter, when should we expect to transport the Princess, we of course will provide transportation at the expense of the White Lotus and the Holy Emperor at any time deemed appropriate." she said calmly. Lady Ynessis of course hoped that she could leave within the week or month of course, she was eager to deliver the girl to the White Lotus and the Holy Imperial family.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 am

Ambassador Zimbrean-Albu readjusted herself in her chair. "Then, I will make sure to inform the Foreign Affairs department, and to begin planning at once."

"As for the child," the Ambassador paused. Checking herself, she begun again, "As for Princess Marie, it is very generous of the White Lotus to pay for traveling expenses. I am sure, at the families' consent, we can have the child depart for Aellyria at once." She glanced over the Archduke and Archduchess. The Ambassador was having a hard time reading the couple. While the Archduke seemed to more supportive than planned, the Archduchess seemed to be in some sort of mood. While things were proceeding in good fashion, she knew that the Archduchess posed a threat to this agreement, and her possible victory. Hoping to lighten the mood, she motioned a servant over, "If you could, please send out some refreshments and snacks. I am sure we will be here for a while." Nodding, the servant, looking towards the Archduke for confirmation, left to fulfill the order.

Béla, unlike the aloof Ambassador, felt as her stomach dropped as they now discussed her Little Poppy leaving. A month? Two months? She could not decide. No, she did not even want to discuss this. Her husband, seeming to feel her pain, squeezed her hand and whispered, "You do not have to be here. I can handle this if you rather." Silent for another moment, as the guests looked on, she responded, "Yes, I think you are right. I...just cannot do this anymore."

Rising out of her seat, she announced, "My apologizes, everyone," she gave each one a brief nod of acknowledgement, "but I am not feeling well at this moment and must lie down. Please forgive me, but perhaps I shall join later." Without a moment passing, she left the parlor. Servants watched as the lady of the house speedily walked to her room. Some even wonder if they saw a tear roll down her face.

Continuing, the Archduke began, "I am sorry. She has not been feeling well this week. But, to you question, Lady Ynessis, I would prefer a month, in order to prepare our daughter and have her say her goodbyes. Will this suit the White Lotus?"

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Lady Ynessis smiled politely, "Yes I believe it will," she said to the Archduke, "We will of course be remaining nearby, I believe or diplomatic visa's extend that much, if of course any issue's arise in which you and your family may need the assistance of the White Lotus" she said. While she discussed such things with the Archduke, Captain Irn turned his attention to the Ambassador,

"So Miss Albu is it?" He asked politely, "What got someone like yourself into this political morass" he asked jokingly. He studied her, she was attractive in a common sort of way he supposed, something that he might be able to have fun with, he wasn't as well masked as Lady Ynessis after all and his clan was known somewhat for having a predilection for almost anything, although he supposed anything more than light flirting would not be acceptable at a meeting such as this, however he hoped he could make a long lasting connection here in the nation anyway.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

One Month Later

Postby Austrysia » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 pm

The day had finally arrived. In the courtyard, early in the morning, the Archduke stood staring at his watch. The family and staff had said their goodbyes earlier in the week. On the day of the hand off, the Archduke wanted to make it as simplest as possible. Karl could not even understand what his daughter through. She was only eleven and yet, unlike many others, she would be sent across the continent to a foreign court to be betrothed to a foreign suitor. The courage of Marie was certainly something. Probably inherited from her mother.

Béla. It was agreed earlier in the week that she should not be there to see the child off on that day. Already, she was up the entire night sobbing. Her eyes were still swollen when she finally passed out during the early hours of the morning. If she saw the child physically board that plane, the Archduchess would completely fall apart. To that end, the Archduke would escort Marie to the airport, along with the Ambassador who would meet them there. Karl's heart was also torn on the whole affair, but the agreement was signed and that was that. There was no delaying the affair, and, in the end, he knew this would be the best chance Marie had at a good marriage.

As a black SUV waited in the courtyard for its travelers, the two front doors of the home swung open. Marie, dressed in a robin egg blue dress with a yellow bow in her blonde hair, left the Palis for the last time. While only eleven, she seemed to walk with an air of maturity rare at her age. He had rarely talked to her about the whole affair, except for some small talk. Heavens even know if she can even process this whole complex affair. Walking towards her father, she leaned against her leg. Following the young girl, was another women, dressed in a grey, two-piece suit. Countess Anastázie Vronskaya, the youngest daughter of a Franzian Count, was chosen to be their daughter's handmaiden during her youth in Aellyria. With dark brown hair and brown eyes, she seemed to contrast the Archduke's daughter in every way.

Reaching out for Marie's hand, she said, "Come on, my Little Princess. We have a long car ride to the airport." Giving Karl a brief nod, she helped the child into the car. Taking a moment before leaving, Karl saw her wife, from the top floor hallway, watching them leave. Pretending to see no one, he entered the SUV.

Arriving to the tarmac of the Viehburg International Airport, the SUV drove up to meet the Ambassador and the Aellyrian delegation at their chartered jet. With the car coming to a halt, the Archduke, Countess and Marie exited the vehicle. Giving a brief nod to the Ambassador, the group stood together. With Marie holding her father's hand, the Archduke waited for the Aellyrian to begin.

Aellyria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aellyria » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:42 am

Lady Ynessis stepped out of the jet followed by Captain Irn and two servants in completely white uniforms, Lady Ynessis was wearing a white coat with a white fur lining on the inside of it covering her pure white dress, to complete her ensemble she also had on her white heels that added an inch of height, as always a perfect example of the White Lotus. With Captain Irn right behind her wearing his gray service uniform, a smile on his face as he saw the Archduke and the Countess. As agreed upon by the White Lotus and the Holy Emperor the young Marie would be allowed a companion suitable for her. They did of course have to be both female and noble, and so a proper companion had been found.

Lady Ynessis smiled at the small delegation, "Good Morning Archduke Talmburg, Countess Vronskaya," she said and then crouching down to look at Marie brushing her cheek with a white gloved hand, "Marie, darling how are you?" she asked with a smile, her eyes warm.

Captain Irn smiled at the Archduke and shook his hand, "Good Morning Sir, lovely weather today isn't it?" he said, he legitimately liked the Archduke and in case of any further questions had opted to give the man his contact information should there be any emergencies. He nodded at the Countess, "My lady," he said, his tone cool and professional." He looked back at the two servants and spoke to them in Aellyrian, "Go on now, get their luggage." he said, his voice now gruff and thick with his native language.

Austrysia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Austrysia » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Keeping eye contact, the young Princess responded, "I am well, thank you. How are you, Lady..." She paused. "Ynes...Ynes-sis," she said in her Austrysian accent. It was clear she still struggled with the names, and was still trying to learn. As the Archduke moved to speak with the Captain, Countess Anastázie stepped forward and placed a sportive hand on Marie's back. Looking down at the child, she said, "There there, Marie. You will soon learn everyone's name quite well." Refocusing on Lady Ynessis, she continued, "I must say, I am pleased to finally make your acquaintance. I know we shall working closely to help Marie, and I am excited to not only help her, but to also see more of your beautiful country." It was true that, besides being a daughter of a Count, Anastázie rarely left the country. While she was there to watch over Marie, either way she saw that it would be a new experience for them both.

Shaking the Captain's hand, the Archduke agreed, "Good Morning, Irn! And yes, lovely weather. A wonderful day to fly." In all honesty, the Archduke was a little worried. Marie never flew in the past, since she never had to leave the country. Besides having to adjust to a new country, he hoped the flight would not make things worse. "I am sure," the Archduke continued, "that you are happy to finally be going home, right? Only a short flight until you can sleep in your bed again," Karl joked.

As the delegations chatted, Ambassador Zimbrean-Albu stood silent as the plane was loaded. She glanced at the daughter, and wondered how just one girl could have been the push needed to solidify Austro-Aellyrian relations. "A mystery indeed," she mumbled.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates