NATION

PASSWORD

Aussie Rules World Cup I Signups thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Aussie Rules World Cup I Signups thread

Postby Sylestone » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi, I had this idea for an AFL (Aussie Rules) World Cup. If you are interested, please post a reply stating that you are so. Once you have signed up, feel free to also put down an expression of interest if you would like to host and what you would like to do. Host bids, as well as signups, would close on the 26th of June at 3 pm (Twelve days from now). If you would like to host, please submit a brief overview of what you want, including scorination style and format. After this, anyone who has signed up can send their host vote to me. The options are: Vote for any of the host bids, reopen bidding or abstain. If no one posts a host bid before the 26th of July then there will be three days to send a vote to me for whether we should wait another week, wait another two weeks, or let me host.
You may sign one puppet up, in addition to your main nation.

Signups: (14)
Sylestone
Sarzonia
United Civil Republic
Ko-oren
Baggieland
Kelssek
United Civil States
Mathuvan Union
The Jovannic
TJUN-ia
Megistos
HUElavia
Halaethaed Commune
Alice Bay

Host bids:
Baggieland

Please note that all times are in AEST, or Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Last edited by Sylestone on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004

Postby Sarzonia » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:44 pm

I'll give it a go
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 pm

I would be happy to sign up and host.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:57 am

United Civil Republic wrote:I would be happy to sign up and host.

if you would like to host, then I suggest that you do a bid describing your plans.
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:52 am

In!

We could discuss the name: AFL refers to an RL league. Maybe something like ARF (Australian Rules Football) World Cup or something to that effect?
WCC President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:55 am

The People's Republic of United Civil Republic

Host bid for the NS Aussie Rules World Cup

About UCR
UCR is a massive nation located in the region of Kartokistan, famous for its war-torn history and indulgence of culture. UCR is a republic whose president is both head of state and government and elected to 2 year terms.

Scorination
I will use the latest version of Xkoranate. RP bonus will be generous and cumulative. Quality will be favored over quantity. If there are rankings and the community decides to use them once again, I will of course oblige. However, if the community decides to start fresh, I will also oblige this.

Format
We will use a national system, one national team per country. There will be a group stage followed by a knockout stage. Teams will be seeded for the knockout stage based on the number of wins they have accumulated in the groups. In the event that there is a tie between two or more teams, here are the tiebreakers.

Head-to-head (best winning percentage in games between the clubs)
Point differential in head-to-head games
Best winning percentage in Group games
Best net points in all games
Strength of Schedule
(Note: If three or more teams are tied,I will follow steps until one team is eliminated. Once two teams remain, revert back to Step 1 of the two team tiebreaker to determine which team advances.)

In the event that both teams are still tied after all of the tiebreakers have been exhausted, I will hold an actual playoff that will be considered part of the IC tournament. This would be modeled after the American Football Wildcard Games.

The knockout stage will be single-elimination. Teams will be seeded according to group positions, then points and tiebreakers as necessary. No teams from the same group may face each other in the first knockout stage round if team numbers justify more than one group.

This is the tournament format depending on signup numbers:
4 teams: 1 group of 4, double round-robin for 3 games; top 2 advance to final
5 teams: 1 group of 5, single round-robin for 4 games; top 2 advance to final
6 teams: 1 group of 6, single round-robin for 5 games; top 3 advance to semifinals; Top team advance directly to final
8 teams: 2 groups of 4, double round-robin for 3 games; top 2 per group advance to semifinals
10 teams: 2 groups of 5, double round-robin for 4 games; top 4 per group advance to semifinals
12 teams: 3 groups of 4, double round-robin for 11 games; top 2 per group plus two best third place teams advance to quarterfinals
14 teams: 2 groups of 7, single round-robin for 13 games; top 4 per group advance to quarterfinals
16 teams: 4 groups of 4, double round-robin for 15 games; top 2 per group advance to quarterfinals

Feel free to ask any questions.
Last edited by United Civil Republic on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:25 am

sign me up please.

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 am

(This is not a signup)

Sylestone, I strongly suggest putting "Australian Rules" in the title of the thread. What is AFL? As an American, my first thought was Arena Football. I didn't know that it was Australian until I clicked on the title. People casually looking at this forum aren't going to click the thread just to find that out. On the flip side, seeing "Australian Rules" in the title immediately clues people in to what the thread is about, and they could then show their interest.
Last edited by Cassadaigua on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up, it has been fixed

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:30 am

I'm interested.

United Civil States
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil States » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:33 am

I would like to sign up as a puppet of United Civil Republic.

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:01 pm

I will sign up
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

The Jovannic
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2020
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Jovannic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:24 pm

I'm in
ALL HAIL THE JOVANNIC!!!

Sporting Achievements:
1st:
2nd:
3rd: 3rd Jenna Raven Cup, Mike Sarzo Memorial Trophy
4th: NS World Cup of Masters I
Semi-finals: IFC1
Honourable Mentions: Olympic Sliver Medal in Football (XIV Olympiad)

Charging forward to return to glory! (II)
Cricket ranking: ??
Football Ranking: 202

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:44 pm

I would like to ask the OP to include the Host Bids within the Original Post, so that it is clear to see how many host bids there are at any time. Thanks.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004

Postby Sarzonia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:51 pm

My question about the bid: do you have previous hosting experience? If so, could you include the details?
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:19 pm

What does "division games" mean here? Does this imply that teams going to play games against teams outside their group and have them count for their ranking within a group? How will you implement "Strength of Schedule"? Can you give examples of how this actually works for those of us who are not familiar with this concept (I had to Google it)? Can you explain what an "American Football Wildcard Game" is? I have a suspicion you may have the wrong sport in mind.

The biggest real-life competition in Aussie Rules determines standings like this: 1. Standings points (4 for a win, 2 for a draw), 2. Points percentage (points for divided by points against x 100) 3. Head-to-head record 4. Coin toss
I'm not totally insistent that a host sticks to this, but there should be good reasons for it such as that it's too hard to implement properly, etc. Can you explain your reasons for proposing what you have?

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:43 pm

I would like to ask a few questions about the format of the bid, UCR.

(Not a signup)

How exactly does having a 4 team tournament give you a 4 team single round robin? If there is 4 teams you have a 3 game round robin. Also in the 12 team format, a double round robin would give each team 6 games. In the 14 team format with 2 groups, you have 6 matches in a single round robin of a group of 7. Again, in the 16 team format, you have 6 games in a double round robin of groups of 4. To be honest, I really don’t think you should be hosting a tournament if you are not able to determine the number of matches correctly.
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Kelssek wrote:What does "division games" mean here? Does this imply that teams going to play games against teams outside their group and have them count for their ranking within a group? How will you implement "Strength of Schedule"? Can you give examples of how this actually works for those of us who are not familiar with this concept (I had to Google it)? Can you explain what an "American Football Wildcard Game" is? I have a suspicion you may have the wrong sport in mind.

The biggest real-life competition in Aussie Rules determines standings like this: 1. Standings points (4 for a win, 2 for a draw), 2. Points percentage (points for divided by points against x 100) 3. Head-to-head record 4. Coin toss
I'm not totally insistent that a host sticks to this, but there should be good reasons for it such as that it's too hard to implement properly, etc. Can you explain your reasons for proposing what you have?

Division Games was a typo, it should have said Group Games. What you are asking about is a singular determinate used as a TieBreaker, and it will only look at the win percentage against games played within their Group, not those outside. I would use a Strength of Group formula rather than a Strength of Scheule.

Now then, a lot of my general basis and bias is toward the Arena/American Football Schedule style, but I make sure to consider the way it is done by the source material. And an American Football Wildcard Game is just a way to knock out an odd-numbered team from a Play-Offs system.

Example:
We have 5 times competing. I will put them into 1 Group. ( We are going to use a 2-1-0 System) 3 Teams will advance.

Here is the Group Scoring:
Group 1:
Team 1: 5
Team 2: 1
Team 3: 8
Team 4: 5
Team 5: 1

Here is the Final Bracket:

Group One:
Champion - Team 3(8)
(This is where the Tie-Breaker scoring would be used to decide the seeding)
2nd Seed - Team 4(Won Tiebreaker, 5)
3rd Seed - Tame 1(Lost Tiebreaker, 5)

We can't have a championship between 3 teams, so we play an additional Playoff Game to decide who will move on out of the lowest seeds.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Northwest Kalactin wrote:I would like to ask a few questions about the format of the bid, UCR.

(Not a signup)

How exactly does having a 4 team tournament give you a 4 team single round robin? If there is 4 teams you have a 3 game round robin. Also in the 12 team format, a double round robin would give each team 6 games. In the 14 team format with 2 groups, you have 6 matches in a single round robin of a group of 7. Again, in the 16 team format, you have 6 games in a double round robin of groups of 4. To be honest, I really don’t think you should be hosting a tournament if you are not able to determine the number of matches correctly.

Actually, I thank you for catching my mistake. Its a complete typo that would have messed up my scheduling had you not noticed it. I have hosted a few in the past, but the scheduling numbers for foreign games were something that i am new to.

United Civil Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United Civil Republic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 pm

I am correcting the mistakes noted in the wording of my bid now. I would like to thank the input of all of those who gave it.

A note that my numbers could still be a bit off, this is my first time attempting a round robin style bid. I know how to host it, and I know what I want to do, I am just not sure exactly on the numbers.
Last edited by United Civil Republic on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Postby Sylestone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 pm

Post has been edited to incorporate host bids.

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby TJUN-ia » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:08 am

I would be willing to give it a try
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Megistos
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:47 am

I'm signing up.

You can see my team in one of my dispatches (dispatch, not factbook)

Edit: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1376362

(Ignore Defense and Offense points)
Last edited by Megistos on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ambassador To Canada

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:09 am

Sure, I'm down to send an amateur team.

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:55 am

United Civil Republic wrote:Division Games was a typo, it should have said Group Games. What you are asking about is a singular determinate used as a TieBreaker, and it will only look at the win percentage against games played within their Group, not those outside. I would use a Strength of Group formula rather than a Strength of Scheule.

In the format you propose, teams will only play against teams in their group. So unless I severely misunderstand what "strength of schedule" means, this just isn't applicable because all teams in a group will have the same schedule. Your example does not help, it doesn't explain how the ties in standings are actually being broken.
And an American Football Wildcard Game is just a way to knock out an odd-numbered team from a Play-Offs system.

Does this just mean that teams who are tied in the standings will play an extra match (or an extra round robin) between them with the winner advancing to the next round?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports