NATION

PASSWORD

Viva la Chaz! Seattle's Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How long do you think the CHAZ will continue to last for?

Not past the day after tomorrow
11%
Less than a week
19%
More than a week, less than a month
38%
More than one month, but not past August
18%
Into the Fall, but not the Winter
5%
Into Winter, or even 2021, or beyond
8%

Total votes : 346

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
And who "proved" that it was a lie and how? A neutral third party, or "CHAZ"?

The author of the tweet being passed around as "evidence" that they had run out of food confirmed that the tweet was fake and that they never posted it.

So it wasn't propaganda, it was just a 4chan-esque meme Rightists passed around for laughs. Coolio.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Because rightists and Republicans are determined to discredit the CHAZ as much as possible.

Remember the fabrication that started spreading the other day that the CHAZ had "run out of food"? Total lie, made up by righists to try and get public opinion turned away from the zone.

Yeah, those damn rightists making up the extortion racket to defame the leftist warlords with sociology degrees.

Yes, that is quite literally what's happening here.

Except the part about the "warlords." There no "warlords."

Vetalia wrote: You sound like Squealer from Animal Farm saying everything is great when you're in a world of shit.

Should I interpret this to be anything other than flamebaiting? Like, are you actually trying to participate in a debate now or should I assume this means you've given up?
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Cisairse wrote:The author of the tweet being passed around as "evidence" that they had run out of food confirmed that the tweet was fake and that they never posted it.

You guys plant a garden yet?
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Cisairse wrote:
The author of the tweet being passed around as "evidence" that they had run out of food confirmed that the tweet was fake and that they never posted it.

So it wasn't propaganda, it was just a 4chan-esque meme Rightists passed around for laughs. Coolio.

I guess, yeah.

Imo it becomes propaganda when rightists share it as "evidence" that CHAZ has failed, but to my knowledge it actually did start as a 4chan meme.

Minimark
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Minimark » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:20 pm

This falls in 7 days max. When will people realize anarchy never works?

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Cisairse wrote:Yes, that is quite literally what's happening here.

Prove to me there are no warlords and no extortion going on. Sounds like there's quite a bit of both, as a matter of fact...unless these business owners have some perverse incentive to lie about this, but why would they if the CHAZ is a land of peace and harmony?

Should I interpret this to be anything other than flamebaiting? Like, are you actually trying to participate in a debate now or should I assume this means you've given up?

It's not flame-baiting, it's a fact. You're preaching the utopia of the CHAZ when the facts prove otherwise.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:25 pm

Minimark wrote:This falls in 7 days max. When will people realize anarchy never works?

"B-b-but it's not *REAL* Anarchism!!!!11"
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:26 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Yes, that is quite literally what's happening here.

Prove to me there are no warlords and no extortion going on. Sounds like there's quite a bit of both, as a matter of fact...unless these business owners have some perverse incentive to lie about this, but why would they if the CHAZ is a land of peace and harmony?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

The only source reporting this said that it's disputed, not verified, and is itself an opinion piece (ie not statements of fact) in an overtly right-wing newspaper.

Minimark
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 15, 2019

Postby Minimark » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Minimark wrote:This falls in 7 days max. When will people realize anarchy never works?

"B-b-but it's not *REAL* Anarchism!!!!11"

Im pretty sure real anarchism is now everyone is perpetually high on weed accross the world to harm eachother

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:33 pm

According to BLM, the WRC•OPHA Philadelphia Autonomous Zone has established a permanent location for their housing initiative.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Cisairse wrote:

And in other news: Seattle police are backpedaling on the claims of businesses being extorted

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Myrensis wrote:

And in other news: Seattle police are backpedaling on the claims of businesses being extorted

Your honor, the defense rests.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Blockade them and wait until they give up.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Cisairse wrote:According to BLM, the WRC•OPHA Philadelphia Autonomous Zone has established a permanent location for their housing initiative.

I declare my street as the empire of the Black Forrest (I do wish the Bumi login would open up).

The problem? It's easy to declare it. It's another to defend it.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Blockade them and wait until they give up.

Why?

The Black Forrest wrote:
Cisairse wrote:According to BLM, the WRC•OPHA Philadelphia Autonomous Zone has established a permanent location for their housing initiative.

I declare my street as the empire of the Black Forrest (I do wish the Bumi login would open up).

To be fair I said "established," not "declared." However, the announcement did say that they need more volunteers to guard the space mainly overnight. I'm not sure if the PAZ will be as successful as the CHAZ.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:43 pm

What a joke
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Cisairse wrote:

Why?

The Black Forrest wrote:

To be fair I said "established," not "declared." However, the announcement did say that they need more volunteers to guard the space mainly overnight. I'm not sure if the PAZ will be as successful as the CHAZ.

There is a problem. Volunteers with guns can't out fight trained professionals.

It won't come to that.

Once things calm down, CHAZ will fade away.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:59 pm

the amount of lies ppl even within Seattle are coming up w abt this place is wild- our police chief was saying unhinged shit about arson threats and protection rackets inside the zone (which are... patently false, as anyone who's been in there or interacted with any of the people or businesses inside can tell u)

police and emergency services are still able to go inside (cops have been inspecting their abandoned building all day and made clear they eventually want it back), everything is literally fine. it's just a barricaded area with lots of protesters, and the barricades have a legitimate reason for being there (that reason being someone tried to uhhhh murder a bunch of us with his car a few days back)

it's literally still receiving all normal city services it is just a protest area that the police have decided to retreat from bc the only thing they seemed able to do when they were there was escalate the situation and shoot people in the chest with flashbangs or carpet entire streets with gas

Cisairse wrote:
Because rightists and Republicans are determined to discredit the CHAZ as much as possible.

Remember the fabrication that started spreading the other day that the CHAZ had "run out of food"? Total lie, made up by righists to try and get public opinion turned away from the zone.

I mean I can drive over and take some more pictures if you're really that skeptical lol but there's multiple restaurants inside the area that are getting along just fine w the demonstrators so idt they're in danger of starving
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Because rightists and Republicans are determined to discredit the CHAZ as much as possible.

Yeah, those damn rightists making up the extortion racket to defame the leftist warlords with sociology degrees. You sound like Squealer from Animal Farm saying everything is great when you're in a world of shit.

Napoleon the Pig hm?
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:03 pm

Senkaku wrote:the amount of lies ppl even within Seattle are coming up w abt this place is wild- our police chief was saying unhinged shit about arson threats and protection rackets inside the zone (which are... patently false, as anyone who's been in there or interacted with any of the people or businesses inside can tell u)

police and emergency services are still able to go inside (cops have been inspecting their abandoned building all day and made clear they eventually want it back), everything is literally fine. it's just a barricaded area with lots of protesters, and the barricades have a legitimate reason for being there (that reason being someone tried to uhhhh murder a bunch of us with his car a few days back)

it's literally still receiving all normal city services it is just a protest area that the police have decided to retreat from bc the only thing they seemed able to do when they were there was escalate the situation and shoot people in the chest with flashbangs or carpet entire streets with gas

I mean I can drive over and take some more pictures if you're really that skeptical lol but there's multiple restaurants inside the area that are getting along just fine w the demonstrators so idt they're in danger of starving

Sounds fairly reasonable. Thank you. So basically it's literally nothing happening over there at all and all blown out of proportion?

So no actual autonomous zone or so? ^^

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Nakena wrote:
Senkaku wrote:the amount of lies ppl even within Seattle are coming up w abt this place is wild- our police chief was saying unhinged shit about arson threats and protection rackets inside the zone (which are... patently false, as anyone who's been in there or interacted with any of the people or businesses inside can tell u)

Sounds fairly reasonable. Thank you. So basically it's literally nothing happening over there at all and all blown out of proportion?

Calling it an autonomous zone sounds like it was deliberately chosen to maximize publicity if this is true.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Vetalia wrote:
I don't waste my time with propaganda videos, answer my question - why would anyone be reporting extortion if everything is A-OK and the CHAZ is a big happy family?

Because rightists and Republicans are determined to discredit the CHAZ as much as possible.

Right-wingers are just upset they couldn’t figure out how to do this in Michigan.

Now all those gun-waving militia men in the capitol crying ‘down with the Whitmer dictatorship!’ seem kind of amateur next to the CHAZ.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Nakena wrote:

I mean there is something happening- the streets are barricaded and the cops have abandoned East Precinct, but it's not like some kind of no-go zone like we used to hear about in the French banlieus when Breitbart had that moral panic a few years back. There's consistently crowds milling around, speakers talking, I heard the other night they watched some movies. They have some tents with food and water and medical supplies set up here and there. You can walk in and out and no one will give you any shit

But if this is qualifying to people as some sort of insurrectionist commune, then like... I guess we better suppress every youth soccer tournament in America too lol

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Calling it an autonomous zone sounds like it was deliberately chosen to maximize publicity if this is true.

it started getting called that literally because someone wrote "welcome to free capitol hill" or something on one of the barricades and then people on twitter just sorta came to a consensus, but yes, it's being treated as a media circus (especially by right-wing fearmongers who seem to think we're in full Red Paris mode over here, you can thank KOMO and their Sinclaire Group owners for a lot of that tbh)

city water, gas, power, and emergency services are still very much able to go in though
Last edited by Senkaku on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Cisairse wrote:

Why?

The whole endeavor is obnoxious. I get the impression that these folks are not keen on establishing any kind of long-term order to account for their urban vulnerability (i.e. no farmland, therefore no consistent food source).
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General