NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Flood Pain

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Flood Pain

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:45 am

I wrote an issue draft dealing with landslides and road maintenance, which I think is an interesting topic not covered by prior issues. I also tried to work in a reversal of the “no airplanes” policy. As always, any feedback is appreciated!

Second draft: reworked the premise to be centered on commerce, rather than safety concerns. Also changed name from “Boulder Dash”.

Reworked option 4.

Flood Pain

Validity: Must have cars

Description
After two shipments of assorted produce from a remote farming community were wiped out by a massive flash flood turned landslide in a mountainous region of @@NAME@@, experts have noted that commercial traffic is being lost to treacherous mountain conditions with increasing regularity. In response, an unstable coalition of shaken citizens and stone-cold opportunists have gathered in your office to try and direct your approach to this apparently tumultuous problem.

Option 1
"Think of the farmers!" wails humble yeoman @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving a pitchfork in your face. "It may not look like much to you, but that was my town’s entire harvest down the drain! The government needs to reimburse the full value of goods lost to natural disasters, and support small farms so we aren’t discouraged from growing. You can't play fast and loose with people's livelihoods!"

Effect: farmers refer to tornadoes as “rainmakers”

Option 2a
Validity: must have market economy

“Think of the truckers!” wails Big Rig, CEO of Big Rig Trucking, Inc. “It’s not just farmers getting crushed. I lost two good semis that day! Not to mention the inconvenience for anyone else using that road. You need to create a new department that'll patrol every mountain road 'round the clock and be on-site immediately to clear debris and airlift vehicles.”

Effect: hikers are trailed by law enforcement for their own safety

Option 2b
Validity: must have state-planned economy

“Think of the truckers!” wails @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Logistics. “It’s not just farmers getting crushed. We lost two good semis that day! Not to mention the inconvenience for anyone else using that road. You need to create a new department that'll patrol every mountain road 'round the clock and be on-site immediately to clear debris and airlift vehicles.”

Option 3
"I wouldn't get so swept up by all this" counters Minister of Apathy @@RANDOMNAME@@, trying to ignore a fly @@HE@@'s too important to swat. "Why should we waste our time and money on some backwater roads? They aren’t used for anything that matters, anyways. It’ll make much more sense to forget about landslides and invest in airports. It'll create jobs and allow for faster shipping than any road."

Effect: war criminals are virtually unreachable in the nation's remote mountain villages

Option 4
Suddenly, everyone in the room turns to look at your Minister of Public Relations, who’s spent the last five minutes madly grinning. “I think we could stand to benefit from this,” he says. “Whenever one of these ‘incidents’ occurs, you’ll arrive at the scene with a full camera crew. We’ll show you sifting through debris, comforting people, that sort of thing. With some clever demolitions work, you won’t even need to wait!”

Effect: first responders often find @@LEADER@@ signing autographs at disaster sites

Boulder Dash

Validity: Must have cars

Description
After two buses full of Maxtopian tourists were wiped out by a massive landslide in a mountainous region of @@NAME@@, experts have noted that these dangerous events are occurring with increasing regularity. In response, an unstable coalition of shaken citizens and stone-cold opportunists have gathered in your office to try and direct your approach to this apparently tumultuous problem.

Option 1
"Think of the children!" wails grieving parent @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose son was on a bus behind the two that were hit. "@@LEADER@@, you have to take drastic measures to ensure nobody gets hurt by these disasters again! Build retaining walls, reroute drainage, reinforce every single slope in @@NAME@@ if you have to! You can't play fast and loose with people's lives!"

Effect: watering plants is banned because it contributes to soil erosion

Option 2
"Think of the farmers!" wails humble yeoman @@RANDOMNAME@@, waving a pitchfork in your face. "The problem isn't the landslides, it's that the government takes forever to clean them up! That road's the only way I can get my produce to market, and it was blocked for how long? Three weeks! You need to create a new department that'll patrol every mountain road 'round the clock and be on-site immediately to clear debris and airlift vehicles. Oh, and be sure to subsidize us farmers so we can survive these terrible, terrible things."

Option 3
"I wouldn't get so swept up by all this" counters Minister of Apathy @@RANDOMNAME@@, trying to ignore a fly @@HE@@'s too important to swat. "Why should we waste our time and money helping some backwater yokels? They're the only ones who use these roads, anyways. If you ask me, it'll make more sense to invest in airports, and drop the landslide issue altogether. It'll create jobs and allow for easier travel than any road."

Effect: war criminals are virtually unreachable in the nation's remote mountain villages

Option 4
Validity: Must have a market economy

"Let's rock the boat!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Gondola On Down, Inc. "Gondolas are probably safer, and more importantly cooler, than those landslide-stricken roads. I propose constructing a new, state-of-the-art gondola system connecting every mountain town in @@NAME@@. It'll boost tourism, and shouldn't hurt travel time too much."

Effect: tourists and lawyers alike flock to the nation's new mountain gondola system
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:51 am

Take a look at #1133.

I think the overlap may be too much.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 am

Candensia wrote:Take a look at #1133.

I think the overlap may be too much.

You’re right; there’s definitely too much overlap. I’ll rework it to either focus on the inaccessibility of remote areas as a result of landslides, or on the commercial side of things (eg. farmers being unable to get goods through, and how the government solves those logistical issues).
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:49 am

Edited to be better differentiated from Issue #1133. Now looking for a better title.
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:28 pm

Gondola boats or gondola chair lifts?
The former: how do you build canals through mountains?
The later: they would get washed away too
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Gondola boats or gondola chair lifts?
The former: how do you build canals through mountains?
The later: they would get washed away too

I’ll just remove that option outright. It was superfluous even without considering the logic.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Re-introduced option 4 for those who don’t like airplanes and don’t want to pick option 2.
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?