NATION

PASSWORD

NYC eliminates words "alien" and "illegal" from laws

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Your opinion on the bill passed in NYC?

FOR
34%
AGAINST
55%
DON'T KNOW
4%
OTHER
7%

Total votes : 235

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

NYC eliminates words "alien" and "illegal" from laws

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ments.html

Some time ago, New York City passed a law that "alien" and "illegal immigrant" will no longer become the the term used to define people who have entered the US illegally. The new term shall now be "non-citizen."

What do you guys say about this? Opposed, For, or in between? Do you have any more info about this?

I'm am against this, soon they're gonna be called better people. They are illegal and should have less rights, unless they become legal, of course.

That's my opinion, what's yours? :)
Last edited by La Xinga on Sun May 31, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Mopistan
Civil Servant

Founded: May 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mopistan » Sun May 31, 2020 3:27 pm

I mean, to be fair they are illegal aliens. Doesn’t really make sense not to call them that, and besides, not all noncitizens are illegal.
Last edited by Mopistan on Sun May 31, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Libertarian-right, essentially just a libertarian; based and/or redpilled
This is a new account, I abandoned my previous accounts I made in 2016 and 2019 for a fresh start.
The Chinese government is not your friend, nor is it the friend of freedom, human rights, self-determination, or anything else any decent government would support.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sun May 31, 2020 3:27 pm

I am for this, because it makes the non-citizen feel welcome in NYC.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 31, 2020 3:29 pm

Mopistan wrote:I mean, to be fair they are illegal aliens. Doesn’t really make sense not to call them that, and besides, not all noncitizens are illegal.

Understandable.
Drew Durrnil wrote:I am for this, because it makes the non-citizen feel welcome in NYC.

But why should they? They came here illegally.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Unifair
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Unifair » Sun May 31, 2020 3:30 pm

“non-citizen” is just fine. “Illegal alien“ has bad connotations and is just too strong to use nowadays.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun May 31, 2020 3:39 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:I am for this, because it makes the non-citizen feel welcome in NYC.

Why should we make criminals feel welcome?
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Unifair wrote:“non-citizen” is just fine. “Illegal alien“ has bad connotations and is just too strong to use nowadays.

It's at least very dehumanizing language. People shouldn't be upset over this because either designation is just as correct.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Union of Sovereign States and Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Sun May 31, 2020 3:41 pm

But they came here illegally. They're criminals.
Current IC Year: 2031
The Union of Sovereign States and Republics; USSR
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun May 31, 2020 3:41 pm

pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 31, 2020 3:42 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:

Exactly LOL
Valrifell wrote:
Unifair wrote:“non-citizen” is just fine. “Illegal alien“ has bad connotations and is just too strong to use nowadays.

It's at least very dehumanizing language. People shouldn't be upset over this because either designation is just as correct.

Well, they did kinda come here illegally, why should they have rights?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun May 31, 2020 3:43 pm

Valrifell wrote:

"Illegal alien"? Yes, that is clearly dehumanizing.

"Illegal immigrant", however, is by description 100% accurate and non-offensive. I don't see why we should stop calling illegal immigrants what they are.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 pm

La xinga wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Well, there's a large number of illegal immigrants that are Americans that haven't come home yet.
In 1991, a plane carrying would-be conspirators of an armed coup crashed in the Crimean Peninsula. Without the coup, the Union of Sovereign States treaty was signed; and the USSR survived... Lore currently undergoing a rework.
Current Ruling Party: Second Forward Coalition (NPSU, Motherland, Agrarian League)
News: BREAKING NEWS: Unceremoniously, USSR officially departs from the European Union 2 years before schedule

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm

I personally don’t really care so much, but “non-citizen” doesn’t seem the most fitting term for this specific kind of immigrant. To me, it’s just another word for a resident of America, someone who lives there but hasn’t attained naturalisation. Illegal immigrant seems just fine to me, though I can understand the change in regards to how charged the former has become in recent years, partially thanks to a certain world “leader”.
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Valrifell wrote:

"Illegal immigrant", however, is by description 100% accurate and non-offensive. I don't see why we should stop calling illegal immigrants what they are.

The difference between illegal immigrant and non-citizen doesn't strike me as very deep. I'm not seeing why it's worth fussing over either way, honestly.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:
La xinga wrote:

Well, there's a large number of illegal immigrants that are Americans that haven't come home yet.

So we should tell them: Go home now, NOW. Right?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm

La xinga wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

1) human rights should not be contingent on criminal status
1a) especially not non-violent criminal status
2) you realize what rampant government-enforced dehumanization of social minorities gets you, yes?
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Sun May 31, 2020 3:46 pm

La xinga wrote:

Exactly LOL
Valrifell wrote:

Even people who immigrate illegally shouldn’t be deprived of their human rights.
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun May 31, 2020 3:46 pm

Valrifell wrote:

The difference between illegal immigrant and non-citizen doesn't strike me as very deep. I'm not seeing why it's worth fussing over either way, honestly.

A non-citizen can be here legally. An illegal immigrant cannot.

Seems pretty deep to me.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Sun May 31, 2020 3:47 pm

La xinga wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:Well, there's a large number of illegal immigrants that are Americans that haven't come home yet.

It depends on how useful they are. Illegal immigrants are very beneficial to the US manual or menial labour workforce IIRC, especially in agriculture.

Edit: I misread the post, but the general point is that illegal immigrants should only be deported after their value has been estimated or something of that nature, or if returning home is safe for them.
Last edited by Britannia Maior on Sun May 31, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

| The Times |

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Sovereign States and Republics » Sun May 31, 2020 3:49 pm

La xinga wrote:
Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:Well, there's a large number of illegal immigrants that are Americans that haven't come home yet.

Yeah. America is their home. We should show them how to legally obtain citizenship.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 31, 2020 3:50 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
La xinga wrote:Well, they did kinda come here illegally, why should they have rights?

1) human rights should not be contingent on criminal status
2) you realize what rampant government-enforced dehumanization of social minorities gets you, yes?

1. They came here illegally, so shall not they be deported? Then what good is it becoming a citizen?
2. I'm not saying massacre, I'm saying deportation.
Britannia Maior wrote:
La xinga wrote:So we should tell them: Go home now, NOW. Right?

It depends on how useful they are. Illegal immigrants are very beneficial to the US manual or menial labour workforce IIRC, especially in agriculture.

5.9 million people in America were unemployed in 2019, but shouldn't the citizen come before the illegal immigrant?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 31, 2020 3:51 pm

Union of Sovereign States and Republics wrote:

Yeah. America is their home. We should show them how to legally obtain citizenship.

Exactly. But for some reason, they don't wait, they just go in.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Sun May 31, 2020 3:52 pm

La xinga wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:1) human rights should not be contingent on criminal status

1. They came here illegally, so shall not they be deported? Then what good is it becoming a citizen?
2. I'm not saying massacre, I'm saying deportation.
Britannia Maior wrote:

5.9 million people in America were unemployed in 2019, but shouldn't the citizen come before the illegal immigrant?

Good luck convincing employers to employ citizens over illegal immigrants. The latter are easier to pay AFAIK and generally more cost effective. In theory, however, I’d usually agree, but America isn’t a command economy so that can’t exactly be enforced I think.

| The Times |

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:

Edit: I misread the post, but the general point is that illegal immigrants should only be deported after their value has been estimated or something of that nature, or if returning home is safe for them.

You mean the ones being exploited by corporations that want to dodge labor and wage laws?

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Jagermeista
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 26, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jagermeista » Sun May 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Virtue signaling.

A "Non-citizen" is a legal immigrant who has not gone through the citizenship process.
There needs to remain a distinction between legal and illegal, because there is a HUGE difference between the two. America welcomes the legals.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General