NATION

PASSWORD

America In Flames: The Appropriateness Of Riots & Protests

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Romanum Sanctis
Envoy

Founded: Jun 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Romanum Sanctis » Sun May 31, 2020 10:38 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:Isn't all these chaos are basically Russia's and China's wet dream?

It is indeed.

It's ironic how the people who seem most eager to burn the USA down are Americans themselves.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sun May 31, 2020 10:41 am

I believe there’s thread for the riots, but this thread seems to be more towards the morality of the riots. Burning the precinct was good symbolism, and they have more than enough money to rebuild it. There’s no reason to destroy businesses.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Sun May 31, 2020 10:42 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Grims wrote:
Where the random innocent people who were targeted unaware of the plight of their black countrymen ? And if not, why did they not remedy it ? They had years. Decades.

Is one truly innocent when one stands by and does not stop evil ?

Then again quite a few victims were black themselves so in practice this line of reasoning may well lead nowhere.

These small business owners stand with the people. Dont burn their shit.

So how did they stand with the people last year?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 31, 2020 10:47 am

The Grims wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
These small business owners stand with the people. Dont burn their shit.

So how did they stand with the people last year?

The same way everyone did? Under your logic of "no one was out protesting last year in Minneapolis," everyone's house should be burned down. People aren't protesting every second of the century you know. Instead of calling for a bike shop to burn, why don't you go ask the business owners what they think about the police.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun May 31, 2020 10:48 am

The Grims wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:You're making it like those civilians have magic wands that can change the system. They don't. Many are not that influential.

The USA is a democracy. They are.

You don't seem to be aware of the political situation here. Our elections are corrupted by big money, elections between the lesser of the two evils, and we have politicians disconnected from the populace. We are now a klepocratic oligarchy.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Sun May 31, 2020 10:48 am

I agree with some people that being violent against innocent parties like small business is wrong, but what do people think about the violence towards police? (I'm not sure) Some have said it's justified. I understand why it has happened, but is it morally right, given that the difference between an innocent policeman and an innocent small business owner might just be the clothes they go to work in?

I know not all policemen are innocent by the way. I just want to hear some opinions on this.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sun May 31, 2020 10:49 am

Mzeusia wrote:I agree with some people that being violent against innocent parties like small business is wrong, but what do people think about the violence towards police? (I'm not sure) Some have said it's justified. I understand why it has happened, but is it morally right, given that the difference between an innocent policeman and an innocent small business owner might just be the clothes they go to work in?

I know not all policemen are innocent by the way. I just want to hear some opinions on this.

Many police officers joined in on the peaceful protests
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Sun May 31, 2020 10:50 am

Aureumterra wrote:
Mzeusia wrote:I agree with some people that being violent against innocent parties like small business is wrong, but what do people think about the violence towards police? (I'm not sure) Some have said it's justified. I understand why it has happened, but is it morally right, given that the difference between an innocent policeman and an innocent small business owner might just be the clothes they go to work in?

Many police officers joined in on the peaceful protests

Ah, okay. Thanks for telling me.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 am

Innocents should not be targeted. They have practically nothing to do with this, and don't deserve to be beaten up or have their homes and/or businesses destroyed for no reason.

If violence is going to be used (which I wouldn't prefer), at least focus on the guilty party.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun May 31, 2020 11:12 am

The question of general appropriateness aside it needs to be pointed out that in this specific case the vandalism, violence and looting appears not to be an organic result of protesters getting out of hand, but planned operations involving prepared supply drops and busing in people from out of state. Someone is hijacking these protests to engage in terrorism and that is absolutely not acceptable.

Depends on the context.
For my own part i'll just leave it by saying that fighting riot police in the streets is dumb. You're allowing them to choose the time, place and manner of engagement, which is a recipe for defeat. There's a reason I make a mental note when I notice a policeman lives somewhere.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun May 31, 2020 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun May 31, 2020 11:19 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:Innocents should not be targeted. They have practically nothing to do with this, and don't deserve to be beaten up or have their homes and/or businesses destroyed for no reason.

If violence is going to be used (which I wouldn't prefer), at least focus on the guilty party.

You mean the rioters ?

Ok military is a Go.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sun May 31, 2020 11:26 am

Let me just say that my dad has been a policeman for my entire life. As such, I’ve met hundreds of policemen that my dad works with throughout my life. I have met one, total, that I would classify as someone who deserved to be hurt in protests like this, and he got fired and criminally charged for doing something similar to what caused all this going on right now. The other hundreds of policemen I have met do not deserve to get hurt in all of this, because they spend so many years of their lives to try to keep us safe and stop criminals. To everyone who is saying that it’s okay for police to get hurt in these riots, have you ever met any police? Because I have. And now, my dad, and hundreds of other innocent, awesome, nice people I have met, are now in danger because rioters are throwing rocks through the windows of their office, destroying their cars, and trying to set their department on fire. In what world has this ever been okay?
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun May 31, 2020 11:29 am

Rojava Free State wrote:Violence against small businesses is never justified. Don't burn the indian restaurant.

Violence against major corporate businesses like Target should be avoided, but I don't really feel sympathy for multinational corporation, Chinese sweatshop utilizing Target. I feel for their hourly employees but their corporate leadership are frankly scumfucks.

Violence against crooked police is justified, because if they can't keep from getting violent toward the populace, there is no reason not to brutalize them. Last night an NYPD officer ran protesters over in his car and the night before they bodyslammed a woman outside Barclay center. They deserve all the suffering they're getting. Zero sympathy from me.

Violence against McDonalds is even more justified because their food sucks ass, their managers are cocksuckers and they're represented by a creepy ass clown.

Preach.

Also, violence against the government is justified, for the same reasons as the crooked police.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 am

Kathol Rift wrote:

Let me just say that my dad has been a policeman for my entire life. As such, I’ve met hundreds of policemen that my dad works with throughout my life. I have met one, total, that I would classify as someone who deserved to be hurt in protests like this, and he got fired and criminally charged for doing something similar to what caused all this going on right now. The other hundreds of policemen I have met do not deserve to get hurt in all of this, because they spend so many years of their lives to try to keep us safe and stop criminals. To everyone who is saying that it’s okay for police to get hurt in these riots, have you ever met any police? Because I have. And now, my dad, and hundreds of other innocent, awesome, nice people I have met, are now in danger because rioters are throwing rocks through the windows of their office, destroying their cars, and trying to set their department on fire. In what world has this ever been okay?

Got to remember that not all police departments are the same. Like with bad teachers we don't get rid of bad cops, but send them to places where their behavior is tolerated. So your experience with police is not going to be the as that of someone who lives in these places.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sun May 31, 2020 11:36 am

Aclion wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:Let me just say that my dad has been a policeman for my entire life. As such, I’ve met hundreds of policemen that my dad works with throughout my life. I have met one, total, that I would classify as someone who deserved to be hurt in protests like this, and he got fired and criminally charged for doing something similar to what caused all this going on right now. The other hundreds of policemen I have met do not deserve to get hurt in all of this, because they spend so many years of their lives to try to keep us safe and stop criminals. To everyone who is saying that it’s okay for police to get hurt in these riots, have you ever met any police? Because I have. And now, my dad, and hundreds of other innocent, awesome, nice people I have met, are now in danger because rioters are throwing rocks through the windows of their office, destroying their cars, and trying to set their department on fire. In what world has this ever been okay?

Got to remember that not all police departments are the same. Like with bad teachers we don't get rid of bad cops, but send them to places where their behavior is tolerated. So your experience with police is not going to be the as that of someone who lives in these places.

Oh, I’ve lived in a few places, with my dad getting moved around the state by the department. And I’ve met police from a few other departments as well. I’m counting police from low-income areas, high-income areas, primarily Navajo communities, primarily Mexican communities, primarily white communities, and primarily black communities. I’m counting police from the state, from the county, and from the cities. I’m counting highway patrol members, SWAT team members, riot police, city patrol police, and sheriff’s office. And my statement stands.

And besides, what was your point here? Are you trying to say that just because not all police are nice, it’s okay for the nice ones to get hurt? What point are you trying to make with that statement?
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 31, 2020 11:46 am

Soled wrote:
Heloin wrote:A bad democracy is still a democracy.

South Africa had full democracy for its white citizens, but it's hard to argue that it was "ruled by the people" when 80% of the population lived in constant fear and repression.

It was a bad democracy but it was still a democracy. It democratically voted itself out of existence.

Soled
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soled » Sun May 31, 2020 11:53 am

Heloin wrote:
Soled wrote:South Africa had full democracy for its white citizens, but it's hard to argue that it was "ruled by the people" when 80% of the population lived in constant fear and repression.

It was a bad democracy but it was still a democracy. It democratically voted itself out of existence.

By your definition we could keep pushing the bar lower and lower. Aristocratic 18th-century Europe where only the landed nobility could vote were democracies, then. Even authoritarian regimes have some degree of democracy in the sense that decisions are typically never made by a single individual (unless people fear you immensely, like with Stalin and Hitler), but by a larger group, like a military junta. So those are democracies too, then. But I think what you're suggesting is that no matter how small the voting populace is, they'll always vote to grant the same rights to others. That's just not true.
Member of Tiandi and Ajax
Norwegian | they/them and she/her pronouns

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 31, 2020 12:00 pm

Soled wrote:
Heloin wrote:It was a bad democracy but it was still a democracy. It democratically voted itself out of existence.

By your definition we could keep pushing the bar lower and lower. Aristocratic 18th-century Europe where only the landed nobility could vote were democracies, then.

Yes. Most early democracies worked exactly like that.

Even authoritarian regimes have some degree of democracy in the sense that decisions are typically never made by a single individual (unless people fear you immensely, like with Stalin and Hitler), but by a larger group, like a military junta. So those are democracies too, then. But I think what you're suggesting is that no matter how small the voting populace is, they'll always vote to grant the same rights to others. That's just not true.

No. You can think bad democracies that hug the line between democratic and oligarchic are not democracies but you'd be wrong.
Last edited by Heloin on Sun May 31, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soled
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soled » Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 pm

Heloin wrote:
Soled wrote:By your definition we could keep pushing the bar lower and lower. Aristocratic 18th-century Europe where only the landed nobility could vote were democracies, then.

Yes. Most early democracies worked exactly like that.

Even authoritarian regimes have some degree of democracy in the sense that decisions are typically never made by a single individual (unless people fear you immensely, like with Stalin and Hitler), but by a larger group, like a military junta. So those are democracies too, then. But I think what you're suggesting is that no matter how small the voting populace is, they'll always vote to grant the same rights to others. That's just not true.

No. You can think bad democracies that hug the line between democratic and oligarchic are not democracies but you'd be wrong.

democracy
/dɪˈmɒkrəsi/
noun
a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
Member of Tiandi and Ajax
Norwegian | they/them and she/her pronouns

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Sun May 31, 2020 12:22 pm

No, riots are never appropriate. Protests? Protest all day long, I don't care. But the moment you infringe on the rights of others, you have crossed the line.
People who are looting and starting dumpster fires need to go away for a long time. They are utilizing the chaos to steal and make more chaos.

It's ok to be angry, but instead of causing property damage, put on your big-boy pants, and actually try to make a change. This is a democracy, after all. Run for governor or mayor, or a member of the state Senate instead of starting fires. The people who do start fires are anarchists and are against what America was founded on.
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun May 31, 2020 12:23 pm

Heloin wrote:
Soled wrote:South Africa had full democracy for its white citizens, but it's hard to argue that it was "ruled by the people" when 80% of the population lived in constant fear and repression.

I would say more of an oligarchy.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Nation's Cops Seem Determined To Demonstrate Why People Prot

Postby Greed and Death » Sun May 31, 2020 12:28 pm

Best Title for these protest goes to the Libertarians.

https://reason.com/2020/05/31/nations-c ... cUyJh8GRBw
Barack Obama

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 31, 2020 1:02 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Heloin wrote:It was a bad democracy but it was still a democracy. It democratically voted itself out of existence.

I would say more of an oligarchy.

There's a fine line and an oligarchy can yes be democratic but Apartheid South Africa, even under the extremely authoritarian Botha, was democratic. It was just a bad one.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 pm

Greed and Death wrote:Best Title for these protest goes to the Libertarians.

https://reason.com/2020/05/31/nations-c ... cUyJh8GRBw

It's like someone wrote a serious Onion title, and it's perfect.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sun May 31, 2020 1:13 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
The Grims wrote:
The USA is a democracy. They are.

You don't seem to be aware of the political situation here. Our elections are corrupted by big money, elections between the lesser of the two evils, and we have politicians disconnected from the populace. We are now a klepocratic oligarchy.

I find it odd that corporations are essentially allowed to buy legislators’ votes on a certain topic. They can also get politicians to look the other way through money. I know this happens elsewhere around the world, but you’d think for the world’s “greatest” democracy that they’d have been able to eradicate such a corrupt practice long ago.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General