NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Surf's Down

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] Surf's Down

Postby Electrum » Sat May 30, 2020 4:22 am

An issue inspired by this article.

[Issue]Surf’s Down
[validity] Countries with internet, low income, no geronticide

[desc] @@CAPITAL@@ couldn't surf the internet for a day after an elderly @@DEMONYM@@ accidentally severed the capital’s sole fibre optic cable while scavenging for unused copper wires.

[option] "Punish this heinous property damage and theft at once by calling for a long sentence," bellows your Minister for Interior, who seems to be slightly peeved that @@HE@@ couldn’t stream the latest episode of Maim by Stones on WhoTube. "We must send a clear message that @@NAME@@ does not tolerate the destruction of vital infrastructure."
[effect] citizens are wondering whether @@LEADER@@ has a heart

[option] "Call off the prosecutors," tearfully pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, the elderly @@DEMONYM@@ in question. "I had an impoverished life in the countryside, which forced me to move to the city to eke out a sad, miserable existence scavenging for wires with my fellow aged brethren. I don’t even know what the internet is. I know this country can ill afford much, but an increase in the aged pension would mean people like me don't have to scavenge again."
[effect] poverty-stricken @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ commit crimes in order to ask for more welfare

[option] "If it takes an accidental dig of a spade to bring the capital to its knees, then we must ensure that this will never happen again," pipes up concerned netizen @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose nose is scrunched by the musty odour of @@FIRSTNAME_1@@. "We need to invest in redundancies - have multiple, encased fibre optic cables coming out of @@CAPITAL@@, and a back-up satellite internet system. The internet must flow!"
[effect] fibre optic cables in @@NAME@@ are encased in layers of concrete and adamantium
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Why does it have to be an old person? Anyone could have done this
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:12 am

I think you could do copper theft as a national issue, though I know it's not what this issue was going for. I'm not sure the current issue works, seems a bit obscure to me.

If you wanted to do an issue on copper theft, I'd take a look at these resources.

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/news/ ... per_120308

https://www.cnbc.com/id/100917758
Last edited by Candensia on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:27 am

I think the issue works, but might need some extra explanation. Option 1 seems mostly concerned with the internet being down, which means that copper theft falls by the wayside, even though that's the more prosecutable thing.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Return to Got Issues?