NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Electrical Elegy

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
South Greesa
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Electrical Elegy

Postby South Greesa » Fri May 29, 2020 1:03 am

Electrical Elegy

The Issue: Some power stations have been running dangerously close to their operating limit in recent months, and population growth shows no signs of stopping. Your advisors have joined you to plan an expansion to the power infrastructure to reduce the risk of brownouts.

Option 1. "It's simple," opines @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister for Simple Solutions, preparing to leave for lunch. "We simply set aside some taxpayer money to build lots more power stations - and power lines. Problem solved!"
Validity: All nations
Effect: Local avian fauna are known to go missing in the tangle of overhead wires.

Option 2. "Not so fast!" interrupts @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, the Minister for Convoluted Complications, excitedly dumping a stack of papers at your feet. "The problem isn't the amount of power, it's distribution! My thesis here describes the creation of a new regulatory agency explicitly for the maximization of electrical efficiency! Give me all the funding, staff, and internal review time I need, and I'll make everything run smoothly within the next decade."
Effect: All power stations have an emergency supply of clipboards and pince-nez glasses.

Option 3. A shout distracts you from outside your office, and a flustered official comes running in. "In the name of @@FAITH@@, stop! @@LEADER@@, does any of this sound simple or efficient to you? There's only one thing that can solve this problem without putting us in the red - business. Just agree to privatise all future expansion to the network, and bam! We'll be in the clear. And richer."
Effect: Poor districts of @@ANIMAL@@ City are showing an unprecedented interest in steam power.

Option 4. "Now just hold on a minute..." trails off @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, as they leaf through @@RANDOMNAME_2@@'s papers. "Look at all these safety regulations we're already stuck with! If we could just trim some of the fat on these, we could send way more power down the lines and generate way more at our existing stations! Now that's simple AND efficient!"
Effect: Some neighborhoods of @@CAPITAL@@ are lit only by the fires of burning substations.

Feel free to suggest alternative titles, I'm not fully satisfied with this one.
Last edited by South Greesa on Fri May 29, 2020 3:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri May 29, 2020 1:05 am

South Greesa wrote:Electrical Elegy

The Issue: The nation's power infrastructure is functioning adequately for now, but population growth shows no signs of stopping. Your advisors have joined you to plan for an increased power burden down the line.

Option 1. "It's simple," opines @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, your Minister for Simple Solutions, preparing to leave for lunch. "We simply set aside some taxpayer money to build lots more power stations - and power lines. Problem solved!"
Effect: Local avian fauna are known to go missing in the tangle of overhead wires.

Option 2. "Not so fast!" interrupts @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, the Minister for Convoluted Complications, excitedly dumping a stack of papers at your feet. "The problem isn't the amount of power, it's distribution! My thesis here describes the creation of a new regulatory agency explicitly for the maximization of electrical efficiency! Give me all the funding, staff, and internal review time I need, and I'll make everything run smoothly within the next decade."
Effect: All power stations have an emergency supply of clipboards and pince-nez glasses.

Option 3. A shout distracts you from outside your office, and a flustered official comes running in. "In the name of @@FAITH@@, stop! @@LEADER@@, does any of this sound simple or efficient to you? There's only one thing that can solve this problem without putting us in the red - business. Just agree to privatise all future expansion to the network, and bam! We'll be in the clear. And richer."
Effect: Poor districts of @@ANIMAL@@ City are showing an unprecedented interest in steam power.

Option 4. "Now just hold on a minute..." trails off @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, as they leaf through @@RANDOMNAME_2@@'s papers. "Look at all these safety regulations we're already stuck with! If we could just trim some of the fat on these, we could send way more power down the lines and generate way more at our existing stations! Now that's simple AND efficient!"
Effect: Some neighborhoods of @@CAPITAL@@ are lit only by the fires of burning substations.

Feel free to suggest alternative titles, I'm not fully satisfied with this one.

Why does RANDOMNAME_1 have two options?
Also I think I’ve seen a similar issue before. Try and check for overlap
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Fri May 29, 2020 1:08 am

The issue you present here is that the electrical grid needs an upgrade. What event brought this to @@LEADER@@'s attention? An accident? Some sort of report? etc.

I feel like the options are very generic (upgrade, red tape option, privatization, cutting regulations). Maybe try to focus on alternative methods of power delivery, such as renewable energy sources, nuclear power, etc.. Though I imagine such an issue may already exist, so you may want to look into that.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

South Greesa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby South Greesa » Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 am

Honeydewistania wrote:Why does RANDOMNAME_1 have two options?
Also I think I’ve seen a similar issue before. Try and check for overlap

1) The narrative I wanted to set up is this: While you're hearing option 3, the person who spoke in option 1 is looking at the papers referenced in option 2. They come up with a new idea, which is option 4.

2) The issue you're thinking of is (I think) #69: Power Problems Need Bright Solution. In this one, a power station explodes from neglect, and it has to be replaced. The question is about whether you want fossil fuels, renewable power, or nuclear power. In my issue, I'm focusing on an expansion to an existing power grid, and the question is about a choice between two styles of public-funded response, a privately-funded response, or a 'no-funded' response. Based on this, I think my issue is sufficiently different from number 69 (though you may be thinking of a different issue).
Last edited by South Greesa on Fri May 29, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

South Greesa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby South Greesa » Fri May 29, 2020 1:18 am

Noahs Second Country wrote:The issue you present here is that the electrical grid needs an upgrade. What event brought this to @@LEADER@@'s attention? An accident? Some sort of report? etc.

I feel like the options are very generic (upgrade, red tape option, privatization, cutting regulations). Maybe try to focus on alternative methods of power delivery, such as renewable energy sources, nuclear power, etc.. Though I imagine such an issue may already exist, so you may want to look into that.

1) I was imagining it was just as a result of realizing that the power grid cannot cope forever with a growing population. I'll try rewriting that part.

2) The reason I didn't want to mention renewables is because of the potential similarities with issue #69. I wanted to keep the actual source of the power out of it beyond 'power stations', which could be renewable/nuclear/fossil fuels. That way the issue is applicable to any nation, regardless of fuel type.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Fri May 29, 2020 1:19 am

The problem I see here is that the privatization vs public funds issue comes up in many, many issues. While not necessarily a bad thing, you can effectively replace the power infrastructure needing an upgrade with a variety of other circumstances, such as sanitation systems, water systems, even things like police and roads. I'm sure there are issues out there that already do just that.

So with that in mind, you may need to make the premise or circumstances of this issue more unique. How are you upgrading? Surely, if the government is going to upgrade then they want something newer, faster, cheaper, etc..

The other way you could take this issue is with what you implied in the description: a growing population. Though multiple other issues cover issues pertaining to population growth iirc.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri May 29, 2020 1:20 am

how about putting something in the water supply to lower your nation's fertility. problem solved.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri May 29, 2020 1:23 am

Having a guy with two options is a really bad idea. What does he stand for? What’s his stance? It makes it more confusing. It’s better to have a random bystander of better, a hobo that suggests something
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

South Greesa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby South Greesa » Fri May 29, 2020 1:24 am

I like the feedback I'm getting, but I'm going to go and get a haircut now. I'll implement the suggestions once I'm back.

Thanks for the help, gang.

South Greesa
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby South Greesa » Fri May 29, 2020 3:05 am

In the process of editing this issue, it has become so drastically different that I'm going to submit it as a new issue once I've worked on it further.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri May 29, 2020 2:29 pm

South Greesa wrote:In the process of editing this issue, it has become so drastically different that I'm going to submit it as a new issue once I've worked on it further.

Please draft it, don't submit it outright :P

Would it be appropriate for you to continue to use this thread to draft Electrical Elegy II?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Fri May 29, 2020 5:29 pm

I suggest you add a validity for low-income nations because a lack of generation capability is not something that occurs in developed countries.

Also, Option 2 is a bit contradictory with how you've set up the issue - the issue says 'power stations have been running dangerously close to their operating limit', whereas Option 2 talks about fixing distribution.
Last edited by Electrum on Fri May 29, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?