NATION

PASSWORD

Red Badge of Courage: An American Civil War RP(IC)(Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Bolslania
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Red Badge of Courage: An American Civil War RP(IC)(Open)

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 5:51 am

Yes we’ll rally round the flag, boys, we’ll rally once again,

Shouting the battle cry of freedom,
We will rally from the hillside, we’ll gather from the plain,
Shouting the battle cry of freedom!

The Union forever! Hurrah, boys, hurrah!

Down with the traitor, up with the star;

While we rally round the flag, boys, rally once again,

Shouting the battle cry of freedom!

Excerpt from "the Battle Cry of Freedom" by George F. Root

April 12, 1861: The South Carolina Militia attacks the Union Fort Sumter. After several months of what was considered to be a siege by the recently seceded South Carolina, shots rang out across Charleston Harbor as the 1st US Artillery and Confederate Militiamen engaged in a loud but ineffective firefight. After a day of glorious fighting by the Union, who didn't lose a single man, the 1st Artillery withdrew from the Fort. So began the largest loss of American life due to war. A war that some said was over State's Rights, a war that some said was over the preservation of the Union that had been formed 98 years ago, some said it was over slavery. Not all who fought fought for the beliefs that their side held, some fought from loyalty to their State. Either way, a line had been drawn straight the country and brother had taken up arms against brother.

September 4th 1862. Confederate General Robert E Lee has taken his Army of Northern Virginia on an offensive across the Potomac. His Army is heading for the Union arsenal at Harper's Ferry. All that stands in his way is General McClellan and the Army of the Potomac. President Lincoln has demanded that Lee is prevented from taking Harper's Ferry and definitely prevented sacking Washington. It lies upon your shoulders as soldiers in the 1st Corps of the Union Army of the Potomac to stop Lee and his band of traitors from seizing the arsenal and throw him back over the Potomac. God be with you.

Rules:
1. I am the law
2. Any co ops I may recruit are extension of my power
3. Please don't by inactive for more than a week without prior notice
4 no hate speech or the like
5. Be a team player and listen to anyone who out ranks you
6. Be realistic

ROSTER:
1st Maine Cavalry:
Officers: Noah Green, 2nd Lieutenant, first platoon, G Company
NCOs: Edward Parsons Tobie, Sergeant, first platoon, G Company
Enlisted:

1st Infantry Division:
Officers: James Hargrave, 1st Platoon, B Company, 2nd Wisconsin
NCOs: Matthew Johnson, Sergeant, 1st Platoon, B Company, 2nd Wisconsin
Enlisted: John Cain, Private, 1st Platoon, B company, 2nd Wisconsin

2nd Infantry Division:
Officers: John Hakor, 1st Lieutenant, 1st Platoon, A Company, 2nd Infantry, 2nd Brigade
NCOs:
Enlisted:

4th US Artillery:
Officers:
NCOs: Andrew Jefferson, Sergeant Major, Battery B
Enlisted:

OOC
Last edited by Bolslania on Wed May 27, 2020 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 am

The Northern Army of Virginia's crossing of the Potomac had caused some consternation in the North. Their were whispers that the South would win the war and the Union would have to sue for peace. Hargrave didnt buy it. He knew his men and he trusted them to fight hard and well. He was proud to be part of the best brigade in the Union Army and proud to lead the men in it.

The Iron Brigade had been called up to be first in line to meet the advancing Confederates, with the Floridians behind them. Hargrave was a little untrusting of the Floridian Unit, with them being Southerners and all, but they had gotten all the way here, so that was something. He looked at his watch. Time to march.

"First Platoon! Fall In!"

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 6:26 am

"Why are we walkin' so long for long, Lieutenant?"
"Cause' them traitors are invading us and trying to take Lincoln." I said
"John!"
I turn around looking to where that voice came from. Then I spotted my old friend Sargent Zack Martin.
"What's happening?" I shouted back.
"Ah don't know." he responded sweetly.
I forgot. "What's happening Sargent?"
He smiled. We're campin' right now. McClellan is stoppin' " Spitting on the ground as he said the name.
I. Hated. McClellan. Almost everyone in my unit did. He was to cautious and slow and when he finally acted, ole Lee had already started to attack. I would rather have Sherman or Grant or Burnside as my commander. He should get sacked. I dutifully started to make camp and unrolling my precious maps. Maps can help you in almost anything. Most of my men had almost finished as most of 'em were Floridians. We had some Zouaves and 3 or 4 Mexicans, but mostly Floridians. I started to get out my chess board and Motioned Zack to come and play. He groaned.
"Why do we have to play chess?"
"If you don't want to play, then I guess I'll ask Albert to play." I said with a smirk.
2nd Lieutenant Albert Zonasbourg was a snotty and arrogant man. He only entered on him being a liberal, but you had to respect him.
"Fine I'll play."
After beating him so much I decided, to do some drills with the men.
"Attention!" Zack said.
"We are doing drills today." Groans and moans.
"If you don't want to do it, go walk and go to Lee. "People stiffening up.
"Many men here don't trust us. They believe that we will betray them if we had the chance. We showed some of ourselves in the North viginia Campaign, but they still don't trust us. So we will make them trust us in this next battle. These drills will make you a better soldier. You do not want to be the man to let us all down. So get, on WITH IT!!"
Zack turned to me "Nice speech."
"It comes with the command" I say unconcerned
Last edited by Romextly on Tue May 26, 2020 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 6:40 am

"Oh for the love of God!" Hargrave said when he got the order to halt.
" Lee's gonna be sipping tea in Harper's Ferry before we ever begin this damned march!" He continued. It Was September 13 (ie. Second day of the battle of Harper's Ferry and 1 day before the Battle South Mountain) and the 1st Corps had seen no fighting since Chancellorsville. Hargrave had a respect for McClellan's battlefield prowess, but the man couldnt ever seem to get to the field in time. A courier hustled by pushing through the men who were beginning to settle down. Hargrave watched the man sprint by towards Army HQ.

"Whats he off to I wonder?" Hargrave asked the Captain, who shrugged in reply. Hargrave saw Sgt. Johnson strolling by a couple paces from him.

"Sergeant! Have the men set up camp at the base of that hill over there, dont want them blocking up the roads."

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 6:52 am

During the drills, Captain Rogers came over.
'John!" he shouted.
"Yes sir!" I responded.
"Go over to that camp over there and ask for Captain Clark."
"Captain Clark of B company, 2nd Wisconsin? May I ask Why sir?"
The Major wants to talk to him. General McClellan isn't listening to his request. He is only listening to 'Americans'. The idiot, what does he think we are? Dixies? Just go."
I ran off to find him on the hill on our right. When I got there I asked a lieutenant "Where is Captain Clark?"

Hospitiliars
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Hospitiliars » Tue May 26, 2020 6:55 am

Private John Cain had sat alongside the road after they had gotten the order to halt. He was in the back of the column, for he was a new recruit. He could see the Floridian unit behind them in the line, they had halted ,and after some officers had played chess, began to do drills. His mess-mates joined him.

"Hey Albert, how ya doin'?" He greeted the first mess-mate to arrive.

" Im ok. Itching for some action, but you know this army." The Corporal said with a sigh. John laughed.

"Yeah i think im beginning to figure it out". The paused as they heard the Lieutenant yell in disgust of the General's decision. John was nervous about not only being in the first unit in line, but being in one of the best units in the army. He was anxious to meet the standards of such a well-regarded brigade.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 am

Romextly wrote:During the drills, Captain Rogers came over.
'John!" he shouted.
"Yes sir!" I responded.
"Go over to that camp over there and ask for Captain Clark."
"Captain Clark of B company, 2nd Wisconsin? May I ask Why sir?"
The Major wants to talk to him. General McClellan isn't listening to his request. He is only listening to 'Americans'. The idiot, what does he think we are? Dixies? Just go."
I ran off to find him on the hill on our right. When I got there I asked a lieutenant "Where is Captain Clark?"

Hargrave turned to look at the Floridian Lieutenant. The man looked like he had a brain. He turned around and shouted at the Captain

"Captain, Lieutenant from 2nd Florida here to see you!" The Captain came back over.

"Yes, Lieutenant?" Clark asked. Hargrave remained silent.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 7:15 am

"Sir, Major Robert thinks we should send some men up to the mountains to prevent Lee from having a jumping position to attack our flanks. We would tell him ourselves, but the god damn general thinks we are traitors and won't listen to us. So the major wants you to send him the messenger. Thank you sir."
As I start walking out, a lightbulb turns on in my head. I turn my head to the Lieutenant. "You're James Hargrave aren't you. You went to West Point. Remember me? The disorganized?

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 am

Romextly wrote:"Sir, Major Robert thinks we should send some men up to the mountains to prevent Lee from having a jumping position to attack our flanks. We would tell him ourselves, but the god damn general thinks we are traitors and won't listen to us. So the major wants you to send him the messenger. Thank you sir."
As I start walking out, a lightbulb turns on in my head. I turn my head to the Lieutenant. "You're James Hargrave aren't you. You went to West Point. Remember me? The disorganized?

Hargrave was a bit surprised. He paused to think, looking at the Lieutenant. Then the realization came to him.

"Oh yeah! John Hakor. I remember you. You were the one who kept getting written up by the instructor for misplaced textbooks. How've ya been?" He said extending his hand. The Captain smiled and sent a messenger to the General with the Floridian's suggestion.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 am

"Eh I'm fine. I mean what's the point of getting textbooks if they're out of touch. Never remembered anything from them.. But other then that... I'm doin' good. I mean I'm a lieutenant in the infantry. I remember one of our teachers, Phineas something said I would only do book keeping. And I told him How I would handle thousands of books if I can't even do five. We'll, I better get going or I'll forget where my men are."

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 am

Romextly wrote:"Eh I'm fine. I mean what's the point of getting textbooks if they're out of touch. Never remembered anything from them.. But other then that... I'm doin' good. I mean I'm a lieutenant in the infantry. I remember one of our teachers, Phineas something said I would only do book keeping. And I told him How I would handle thousands of books if I can't even do five. We'll, I better get going or I'll forget where my men are."

Hargrave laughed at Hakor's comment.

"Yeah Phineas was an ass. Alright, see you round Lieutenant." Hargrave watched the Floridian leave. He remembered West Point and smiled. The Brigade was settling down. After checking in on everyone, Hargrave sat down against a small try and lit up his pipe, watching the smoke wisp away into the sun.

The runner arrives at HQ and reports the suggestion to the General

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 8:10 am

As I went Back to camp Zachcame out "Where have you been? Supper is being served. We had get Calvin to cook. CALVIN! We're eating slop."
"Hey go easy on me I was catching with a member from my class. James Hargrave. He's in the Iron Brigade."
Just then, the Captain Shouted "Everyone up! We're goin' to the mountains with no rest. We are walking all night."
"Your kidding me. I've run and now I got to march. Gosh darn it." And so We went off into the night to the mountains.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 am

Captain Clark stands up on a rock and gets the attention of the Company.

"Alright boys. On your feet! We're moving with the Second Florida to the mountains on the right! Lets go gentlemen!"

Hargrave stood up and got his platoon into formation. They fell in behind the Floridians along with the rest of 1st Division. 2nd and 3rd Divisions were going continue down the road.

"1st Platoon! Foorwaardd Ho!" The Platoon began marching at the quicktime. After a few minutes a soldier in the ranks started up the "Battle Hymn of the Republic". The rest of the company joined him in the choruses as they entertained themselves through the long, hard, march.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 am

We packed our tents and went off we were marching when I saw something grey in the woods..." Zack," I whispered, "are you seeing grey?"
"Yeah, maybe it's the Dix-" And shots came from the woods.
"Get in formation! We are under attack!" Orders said one thing and then another contradicted the other
"Charge!" The growl from 200 throats yelled and 400 hundred more shouted as well.
"Captain Rogers!" he looked at me. So did his blood.

We beat them Dixies. We beat them well. Our numbers killed them traitors. But we lost our captain. And I lost my friend. Zack was shot in the first volley. But he kept going, shouting, giving orders until a cannonball ripped his arm off. He died quickly. Our orders are to keep marching till we get to the mountains. And so we will.
Last edited by Romextly on Tue May 26, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 am

The last of the echo of shots ripple through the night, 2nd Florida had been hit in the side from advance forces of Confederate general Rodes' brigade. They now knew that they were walking into a fight. The 2nd Florida had been placed in the front of the column, with the Iron Brigade right behind them. Company B had managed to get some shots into the Confederate forces before they were beaten off. There was no talking in the ranks after the attack.

Details(OOC):

The 2nd Florida and Iron Brigade are moving down Turner's Gap to engage General A.P.Hill's forces.

The Confederate lineup is as follows:

Front-back:

Gen. Rodes

Gen. Colquitt

Gen. Evans

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 am

As we settled into our camp, the news was confirmed. Our company needed a captain. They were Deciding between me and the other Lieutenant. Frankly I didn't care. My best friend is dead and my next closest friend was also dead. To replace the post of Sargent, I chose a Zouave as Sargent. W e are told that in the morning we will fight a battle. So I cleaned my rifle and played chess . It was lonely. I decided to go check on the Iron Brigade and see if they had been attacked.

Tranzoria
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Red Badge of Courage RP

Postby Tranzoria » Tue May 26, 2020 9:03 am

As the Soldiers were marching up the mountains, still mourning those lost in the ambush, they were stopped at a clearing by 3 Union Cavalry.

"Hey! Get out of the road, we're trying to beat up some Dixies!" One Soldier yelled. Many agreed with him and some eve walked forward with pistol out of their holsters. Then, the Cavalry with the hat pulled his Carbine out. They Soldiers backed off.

"I'm Noah Green of the 1st Maine Cavalry. We were sent by the General to scout the enemy defences ahead. We know about the ambush you guys had, and if you don't want anymore of those, you best get me your Captain. The Dix have set up lines of defense and more trap ambushes. You try to go by, I'll either kill you, my partners will, or the South will. So get me that Captain."

Everybody was standing still until a group of Soldiers talked to each other and huddled until two stepped forward and led Green and his Partner James to the Captain, who was down the hill helping to treat and injured Soldier.

"Captain Hargrave, I'm 2nd Lieutenant Noah Green of the 1st Maine Cavalry, sent to scout the area by the General. There are too many traps and lines of defense the South set up to pass through with depleting your men down to twenty. You have to go another way. However, maybe you can cross some bridges we found a few miles from here, which are unguarded except for some Cannons and about 18 other Southers. Your choice."
A Naive Nation in the Bay Area of California who has fought too many wars to count. NSG's Resident Yes-man.
Raider, Writer and Rickroll Fanatic.
Recent News: Tranzoria joins Israel-Palestine discussion-promises no flaming

Pro: Choice, Democracy, Acknowledgment, PR Statehood
Anti:Terrorism, Racism, Karenism, People who pour the Milk first

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 9:08 am

Hargrave saw Hakor coming up and went out to greet him.

"I saw you guys take a lot of fire. How bad was it?" Hargrave's face had some gunpowder smoke on it, but no other signs of damage. Hargrave turned around to face the cavalrymen who had typically shoved their way through the infantry.

"I'm not the Commander of this unit. He can be found about 400 yds that way. But I wouldnt bother. we have been told we need to be there tomorrow and hit those Dixie bastards in the center, so if you guys want to help us out in the fighting, that would be very appreciated." Hargrave studied the man, he seemed to have some Indian blood in him, also apparent by the tomahawk around his waist.
Last edited by Bolslania on Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hospitiliars
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Hospitiliars » Tue May 26, 2020 9:13 am

Cain watched Hargrave talking with the cavalry officer. He was thinking back on the ambush, the explosions, screaming, and smoke was a slap in the face to what Cain thought the war was going to be like. Cain sat with his mess-mates cleaning his rifle and eyeing the cavalrymen

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 am

"Our Captain is dead, shot in the head and my best friend is dead. They said we got 35 killed and 75 wounded. They're deciding if they want to make me captain. " As the Calvary leaves the scene he adds "Them Calvary always think they're better than us because they got the horses." As he sees a messenger coming towards him he says "Well see you soon, in the battle." tipping his hat.

Tranzoria
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tranzoria » Tue May 26, 2020 9:23 am

Bolslania wrote:Hargrave saw Hakor coming up and went out to greet him.

"I saw you guys take a lot of fire. How bad was it?" Hargrave's face had some gunpowder smoke on it, but no other signs of damage. Hargrave turned around to face the cavalrymen who had typically shoved their way through the infantry.

"I'm not the Commander of this unit. He can be found about 400 yds that way. But I wouldnt bother. we have been told we need to be there tomorrow and hit those Dixie bastards in the center, so if you guys want to support us, that would be welcome." Hargrave studied the man, he seemed to have some Indian blood in him, also apparent by the tomahawk around his waist.

Green's eyes followed where Hargrave's looked. He realized Hargrave was looking at the Tomahawk he had.

"Ah, yes, I'm partly Indian. Lenae Tribe, from New York. I joined the Union when a Dixie killed my Tribe Leader, a Cousin of mine. Anyway, sure, I'll stay with you guys with another one of my Cavalry. We have two horses we stole from those Southerns, so we can spare them to your troops, since you need more Cavalry. My friend James will go to the Commander."

James nodded and took off on his horse through the forest.

"Now, lets talk about what's ahead for you and your group. My friend is at the top of the trail guarding your troops from passing into Hell. They don't trust us, so we should go. Follow me." Green said. He walked out of the tent and went on his horse. He offered the Captain a ride.
A Naive Nation in the Bay Area of California who has fought too many wars to count. NSG's Resident Yes-man.
Raider, Writer and Rickroll Fanatic.
Recent News: Tranzoria joins Israel-Palestine discussion-promises no flaming

Pro: Choice, Democracy, Acknowledgment, PR Statehood
Anti:Terrorism, Racism, Karenism, People who pour the Milk first

Nihonjan
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nihonjan » Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 am

After the Ambush, Hugo went to drill his men of Company A. "All right you Floridians, this is zee time to drill. If wee want to survive another attack and especially the battle coming up, we must practice our accuracy. "
We will be the light of saving

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 am

As I was walking towards my camp, I saw the sergeant drilling his men. Just as Zack had this morning. This Morning? I checked my watch. It was 11 AM. I needed some sleep. I went down and was knocked out the moment the pillow hit my head. I woke up at 3 AM as there was marching to do.
Last edited by Romextly on Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bolslania
Minister

Postby Bolslania » Tue May 26, 2020 9:35 am

Tranzoria wrote:
Bolslania wrote:Hargrave saw Hakor coming up and went out to greet him.

"I'm not the Commander of this unit. He can be found about 400 yds that way. But I wouldnt bother. we have been told we need to be there tomorrow and hit those Dixie bastards in the center, so if you guys want to support us, that would be welcome." Hargrave studied the man, he seemed to have some Indian blood in him, also apparent by the tomahawk around his waist.

Green's eyes followed where Hargrave's looked. He realized Hargrave was looking at the Tomahawk he had.

"Ah, yes, I'm partly Indian. Lenae Tribe, from New York. I joined the Union when a Dixie killed my Tribe Leader, a Cousin of mine. Anyway, sure, I'll stay with you guys with another one of my Cavalry. We have two horses we stole from those Southerns, so we can spare them to your troops, since you need more Cavalry. My friend James will go to the Commander."

James nodded and took off on his horse through the forest.

"Now, lets talk about what's ahead for you and your group. My friend is at the top of the trail guarding your troops from passing into Hell. They don't trust us, so we should go. Follow me." Green said. He walked out of the tent and went on his horse. He offered the Captain a ride.

The LIEUTENANT nodded to Hakor and said he'd return soon. He accepted the ride and went with Green to examine the situation they were going into.

"So Lieutenant, who's units are we going to be up against? Word has it that we're going up against General Longstreet."
Last edited by Bolslania on Tue May 26, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am

I'm the Captain, I thought to myself. 1 minute ago I was a lieutenant and now a captain. The letter in my hand proved it.
To Lieutenant John Hakor,
After a long and serious debate, we have decided to make you Captain of Company A after the untimely and very sorry Death of Captain Jolly Rogers. Albert will replace you as Lieutenant of the 2nd Platoon. We also request you come to the brass meeting of the Floridian Volunteers at 0315
Sincerely,
Major Robert Jenkins

As I sat there in shock, I took out my watch. It was 0306! I ran out of there and I saw the command tent in the distance.
Last edited by Romextly on Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse