NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Mon May 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
(Image)
John Atang
@JohnAtangNY3

PROUD to have worked with the great @NHSenatorMerriam on the new BIPARTISAN bill to END LYNCHING ONCE AND FOR ALL!! With special protections for the LGBTQ+ community!

(Image)

Liked and Retweeted by Theodore Vohoffsky and Erika Goldman
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 pm

Max Smith
@GovernorSmith

I will look into introducing similar legislation in Arizona to the Anti-Lynching Bill before Congress. Lynching is a great evil that must be punished.

Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Titanne
Minister

Founded: Feb 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Titanne » Mon May 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:
(Image)
John Atang
@JohnAtangNY3

PROUD to have worked with the great @NHSenatorMerriam on the new BIPARTISAN bill to END LYNCHING ONCE AND FOR ALL!! With special protections for the LGBTQ+ community!

(Image)

Liked and retweeted by @NHSenatorMerriam.

Senator Augusta Merriam
@NHSenatorMerriam

Over a century and a half ago, the Republicans under Lincoln put an end to slavery. Today, I'm proud to work with Representative @JohnAtangNY3 to spearhead bipartisan action by both parties to finally put the evil of lynching to an end.

Liked and retweeted by Felix Holt
Ridin' with Biden

Not yet radicalized by the internet, he/his, Flamboyant Homosexual, among other things.

Former Delegate and President of Thaecia. Current Delegate of Annecy.

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon May 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
(Image)
Max Smith
@GovernorSmith

I will look into introducing similar legislation in Arizona to the Anti-Lynching Bill before Congress. Lynching is a great evil that must be punished.

(Image)

Liked and Retweeted by @KathleenNez

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon May 25, 2020 5:29 pm

Meelducan wrote:
Seminole Golf Club, Juno Beach Florida

"Mr. President," Micheal said, accepting his hand in an exciting way. "Great to see you. Amazing day for golf!"

He placed the ball down and swung, landing a bit behind the Presidents.

"How have you been keeping?"

“I’ve been alright, I’ve been alright,” the President said wistfully. “Why did you want to meet today?”
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
(Image)
John Atang
@JohnAtangNY3

(Image)

Liked by Karel Volek
Last edited by Bruke on Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Mon May 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Republican Policy Luncheon

Howard Frankston who had largely retained his silence through most of the conversation raised an eyebrow in Fitzdaniel's direction before speaking up, "the Senator intends to vote aye which combined with not-Toomey takes us to a tie, the caucus will take him to task in the interim between now and when your voters kick you on your ass. In the meantime, the next person to indicate their intention to vote aye can say so now and we'll direct 5 instead of 10 million to your best primary challengers campaign."
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Mon May 25, 2020 6:23 pm

The Office of Tim Westra

Arriving promptly, Jillian rocked up for what she expected would be a kind brunch, she'd come equipped with a pesky little bottle of wine as a gift and with a bright smile asked to be let in.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Rijkenlandd
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Rijkenlandd » Mon May 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
(Image)
John Atang
@JohnAtangNY3

(Image)

Liked and Retweeted by Representative Kevin Villalobos (@ElDiablo) (R-FL-4)

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 pm

Vohoffsky Slice-of-Life Post, Privately Owned Forest, Orange County

Theo took to the woods, rifle and drone in hand, ready to scout out some game to eat. But it wasn't about food, or even about the hunting. It was about him and Felix. Or, more to the point, him and his wife. He began to ponder the questions that would decide his life to come. Even before the events of the party, he had been growing evermore distant with his wife, with them effectively having an open relationship, as they agreed that they could see other people. Of course, Theo himself never took advantage of that, until his night with Felix.

He had biked over to the forest, spending a few miles on his bike, still thinking about it all. He stepped off, with a hunting backpack. Therein was his drone, the joystick, infrared goggles and a hunting rifle, along with its ammunition. He had found a decently sized bush to set up in, set up the relay between the joystick and the drone, and then began searching for deer. He wore his orange camouflage, designed to confuse deer and other game, similar to the function of green camouflage on humans. It was a jacket, albeit closer in size and girth to a trenchcoat, at least for Theo's relatively thin frame.

He had began to hunt, having his drone find several deer in the vicinity. He had picked the nearest one, with him keeping the drone above the deer in order for him to locate it. He began to hunt it down, using a GPS he had installed on it. He began to stalk the deer, donning his orange jacket. He crouched near the surface, prone in a bush. He aimed for the deer, putting his XM-3 custom made gun on the tripod, keeping his aim steady...He felt some tension in his fingers, but he got over it...3...2...1...

Headshot.

Right in the deer's neck. He hit that deer fresh and good. He then stood up, parked his drone on his wood cabin roof, where he had something specifically installed to park and charge it. He carried a decent chunk of the deer, about 25kg, all the way from the hunt to his wood cabin. Even in age he was a strong man, able to carry such a heavy weight. Of course, it wasn't easy. It was a relatively young and small female deer, making it much easier to carry than usual. He began to cook the deer, watching it barbecue itself on the skewer. He spun it along, languishing in some sort of rumination.

He had thoughts...Odd thoughts. Something inside him, repressed, had been released. He almost wanted to share this deer with someone, but this was always his solace, in his little wood cabin. He, of course, was only planning to eat about 500g - or a few slices - of the deer, but still, hunting and eating something was still a very satisfying experience. It was cooked very thoroughly, and skinned to the best of his ability, albeit he had given himself a minor wound while skinning it, bandaging it quickly. He took off his jacket, yet his shirt was still laden with blood, and so he had taken it off too, putting it in his bag to be put in the laundry machine later.

After finishing undressing, with all the blood on his clothes from the processing and butchering of the deer, he swapped his clothes for his spare clothes, namely a thin white shirt and similarly thin light camel trousers, tailor made for him. He tightened his belt, put on his spare boots, turned off the fire and began carving the deer for consumption. He ate the saddle part, specifically the tenderloin. It was very tasty, particularly with some BBQ sauce applied very generously. He ate it with a knife and fork, enjoying the fresh venison, straight from the animal.

His finger still had some pain, but he mostly ignored it, in favour of thinking about his life ahead. He wanted something like that again...although obviously not with Felix. It was difficult to do it again, particularly with the position he was in. He was considering repressing it until the time was right. But that wasn't the only question on his mind. He also strategised about the Paulson campaign, and his Dodd-Frank repeal, eagerly waiting for Volker to speak with Simone. And then there was the matter of his seat. He was going to make a rush for the Asian vote, This and other less relevant topics kept his brain full whilst he was filling his stomach.

He also poured some wine on it, albeit not enough that he would get drunk or would be unable to drive. After finishing his fill, he stood up, driving his drone off his roof and putting it back in his bag, along with his rifle, doing the proper security procedures to keep himself safe. When he packed up, he walked up to his bike, wearing his spare clothes and boots, and then riding back down several miles to his house. He, overall, spent about 3 hours with this activity, including the search, the hunt, the biking and the eating. It was satisfying and he wanted to do more with it, perhaps he could use it as a meeting ground in future.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Mon May 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Sarenium wrote:
The Office of Tim Westra

Arriving promptly, Jillian rocked up for what she expected would be a kind brunch, she'd come equipped with a pesky little bottle of wine as a gift and with a bright smile asked to be let in.

Senator Westra walked out of his office to find Jillian Dayton waiting outside with his Secretary, having been invited by him this time. He greeted her with a wide smile. "Senator Dayton! Please, come in."

"We didn't get to catch up after the debate. Well done, by the way."
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Mon May 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Azekopolaltion wrote:
Sarenium wrote:
The Office of Tim Westra

Senator Westra walked out of his office to find Jillian Dayton waiting outside with his Secretary, having been invited by him this time. He greeted her with a wide smile. "Senator Dayton! Please, come in."

"We didn't get to catch up after the debate. Well done, by the way."

"Thank you! You did quite well yourself," she smiled, "this isn't for now, but, for when a big celebration looms," she offered the Virginian wine with a smile.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
"If there's anything you need to talk about, anything that's bothering you, just get in touch." She smiled, going to give the dogs some pets before she went to head off to other business. "Bye Felix!"

TO: [Representative Davit Papazian]

See me at once.

Caroline Simone
US Representative for the 12th District of the State of New York
Chair of the House Democratic Caucus

TO: [Representative Theodore Vohoffsky]

Dear Theodore,

I'd like to have some words with you about events that transpired during Rep. Papazian's debate viewing party in Los Angeles. Please swing by my office as soon as convenient.

Yours,

Caroline

Theo saw the letter, and had prepared defences for both his actions with Felix and his actions against the clown people.

"Good afternoon, Majority Caucus Leader Simone."

Davit saw the letter, and showed up at Caroline’s office.

“Good afternoon Congresswoman Simone, may I ask, why is it that you’re calling me in to this meeting?”

Davit had known about some trouble that had gone on at the party, but was not aware of the details, as he had stopped to tie his shoe and was well behind the rest on the trail.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Mon May 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Velahor wrote:“First of all, Theo did mention that you two spoke about a potential move for libertarians to move to the Democrats. I wanted you to know that an arrangement of that sort is not off the table for me, pending the result of my current race as well. And if Secretary Porter gets the nomination, I will personally switch my party affiliation that day. Whether it’s to the Libertarians or the Democrats is yet to be decided, but I did want you to know that such a result in this election occurs, I will be looking for a place to go.”

Paulson drank more of her coffee.

"Well, as I mentioned before, you'll find a much more functional apparatus - which is more more protective for your seats - with the Democrats. But I appreciate your warmth and honesty on the matter. I approached Theo Vohoffsky because I was getting the impression that you and your corner really weren't happy with the Republican Party and your relationship to it."

“We will see what happens, is there anything else? Any other bipartisan legislation I could sponsor?”
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 pm

Sarenium wrote:

Howard Frankston who had largely retained his silence through most of the conversation raised an eyebrow in Fitzdaniel's direction before speaking up, "the Senator intends to vote aye which combined with not-Toomey takes us to a tie, the caucus will take him to task in the interim between now and when your voters kick you on your ass. In the meantime, the next person to indicate their intention to vote aye can say so now and we'll direct 5 instead of 10 million to your best primary challengers campaign."

Senator Colbert: “So that forces Tawney to cast a tie breaking vote against. I need to call not-Gardner and make sure that he doesn’t go rouge. If we get 51 ayes, we need to get a plan. Filibuster, motions, delaying tactics. What?”
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

Titanne
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Titanne » Mon May 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Dayton For President
University of California, Los Angeles
Representative Felix Holt

Felix made his way up the podium, smiling warmly at the crowd assembled in front of him.

"Good morning Los Angeles! It feels so good to be here in sunny California today! I love Virginia, but this state sure is beautiful! Anyways, you all know Senator Dayton, right? Did you all see her in the debate a few nights ago? Wasn't she incredible? She showed up on that stage that she was ready to take on any and every challenge that is thrown her way. And rest assured, there will be many challenges, many obstacles. Take education, for incidence. California boasts some really great colleges, with UCLA being a prime example. Well, Senator Dayton is more than ready to education. Back home in Virginia, as Governor, she single-handedly made college affordable, for everyone!"

Felix swallowed.

"That program worked miracles in Virginia, and I'm so glad to live there to be able to have my son take advantage of that program one day, if we're not able to pay for him to go. But we all deserve that program. Only Senator Dayton can bring that. Making college affordable has to happen in Virginia. It has to happen in California. It needs to happen across the country, until everyone has equal opportunities, no matter where you grew up, and no matter how rich you are."

Felix was beginning to get into the speech, speaking with more expression.

"But that's not the only thing Senator Dayton can do. She has shown that she can reach across the aisle. That affordable college program sure wouldn't have happened if she hadn't managed to get Virginia's Republican controlled legislature to sign off on it. And those kinds of people, whether they be in Virginia, Michigan, or California, are absolutely vital in our fight to take back the country in 2020. She has a clear path to victory in this way, her appeal to the Democratic coalition is almost unparalleled."

"So, will you join our campaign? Will you join the JillBus, for better education for all? For a better future for the country?"

He finished the speech triumphantly, and slowly walked off of the stage, smiling to himself.

He would later travel to UC Irvine, and UC Santa Barbara, repeating the same speech, except with slight tweaks to praise the school he was at rather than the one in Los Angeles. He then travelled back to Los Angeles, where his husband and son had been waiting for him. They settled down for the night, and the next day, the three of them went to the beach, before flying home to Virginia.
Ridin' with Biden

Not yet radicalized by the internet, he/his, Flamboyant Homosexual, among other things.

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Mon May 25, 2020 8:59 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:
Sarenium wrote:

Senator Colbert: “So that forces Tawney to cast a tie breaking vote against. I need to call not-Gardner and make sure that he doesn’t go rouge. If we get 51 ayes, we need to get a plan. Filibuster, motions, delaying tactics. What?”

"I'll reach out to Trahan for his vote, and we'll lean on the Alaskan and Alabamian Democrat, if 51 Aye votes come together," he glanced at the Maine and Coloradan Senators, "then yes, we will likely filibuster," he looked to Leader Warrick.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Levi Murphy Speech to SCDP
South Carolina

The Levi Team returned to South Carolina to attend the South Carolina Democratic Conference, as he did in California and Iowa. South Carolina was a harder state to win, much harder, and the polls had reflected that. However, Levi had a substantive lead over Tim Westra, which at the current point, means everything to the campaign. They intended to be the strongest progressive campaign in the running and to do that, they had to knock out Tim before Super Tuesday to receive his votes. All of this ran through Levi's mind before he began his walk to the stage. He reached the podium, he waved out. He smiled when he saw those waving 'Levi 2020' signs in the audience. His people came, it was good to see them here.

"Thank you, South Carolina. Thank you." The received light applause's. "Before I continue today, I'd like to thank all of the brilliant work up into this evening. From the construction crew that would have had to assemble this stage, to the countless volunteers who worked to make this a reality. You are the backbone of the Democratic Party, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We wouldn't be able to run presidential campaigns without you all and the spirit you bring elections. Talking about elections, this presidential election is pretty important," Levi said, laughing a bit at his own joke. "We can define the decade - we should define the decade - because it's about time that working people in this country are heard. You know, I read that come 2020, it should have a lot of commonalities with the 1920. I was thinking, we need to make radical union organizing, the mobilization of the working class and a people-powered agenda for change a reality. It starts with a Democratic candidate that will fight tooth and nail for us and our communities."

"It would be rude of me not to comment on who makes the Democratic Party what it is. It's our African-American voters, who vote for a better future for their families, it's our union members, it's our Stonewall allies, it's our activists and volunteers. I believe in a radical idea that the party should start to be built, shaped and lead by them, not by an party bureaucracy. We have this unparalleled opportunity in 2020 to raise the mantel to fight for working class people again, and that's what I'm going to do. Let's fight for bold, brave and let's not concede our ideals our aspirations to the Republicans. Look, I've been told I am too ambitious on many occasions. They told me I can't do it. My simple response is: it's not me, it's us. We can do it, not me, we can get Medicare for All, we can get free and universal education in this country. We can provide for our families through a proper $15 minimum wage. The attacks on the roots of this party need to be stopped. Yes, we can get Medicare for All. No, it is no pie-in-the-sky. Yes, in fact it will eliminate costs for every American and reduce the overall tax burden on working class families. No, it will not impact our families, unless you appeared on Forbes Top 100 richest people in America."

"Republicans are the party of delay, no big ideas and a lack of creativity with the issues. When was the last time you heard of them stand up for something new, rather than the same old conservative narrative? Never, we don't need to be like that. But let's not be the party of push-overs. Or the party of people who give up with the going gets rough. We can support Medicare for All because we are the party of the people, because we have a hand on the pulse of the working communities in this country. Unlike the Republican Party that has its' hand on the pulse of Wall Street. We can be radical, we can ask for change, and we can win. We have never won asking for normalcy, we've never won by standing for nothing. We've never won by not being true to ourselves, the party which implemented the New Deal, which created social security, which defended the right to organize. The Republicans are the party of reduction, cut social programs, cut social security, medicare, medicaid. We can be bold and say, y'know what, we do stand up for progressive, working-class values because we are true to ourselves. And because we know being true to ourselves and the working class is the best winning formula to any election."

"I campaign in South Carolina because there are many good, working-class people in this state that can join us in our fight to win the White House. But I also understand that it's important to be rallying the troops elsewhere across the country to get ready: get ready for whoever the Republicans through at us. So, unlike others, I have campaigning from Minnesota, to California, to Michigan, to Utah, to Massachusetts, to West Virginia. We need someone who will criss-cross this country to represent our values, to win over voters and create a movement that in unstoppable. I believe I have that. I hope you can all believe in me too, that I can get the job done. Because we're not going to win promising small change, or means-tested relief for a very few. We're going to win by promising big and fighting like all Hell for it - some chide me for not being pragmatic enough. I just say, working people are sick and tired of being pragmatic to the system that holds them down!"

"At the end of the day, the 1% is only 1% for a reason. We don't need to be stumping in Beverly Hills for a bit of cash. They only represent !% of the population of this country, let alone the electorate. It's time that we appeal and win the 99%, who wants action on climate change, action on our awful, for-profit health insurance industry, who want good-paying union jobs, who want a decent education for their children! Baharia didn't win asking for complacency. We win when asking for more of our government, for asking for change, and a real difference. So, I believe we should be making a real difference in 2020. Be true to ourselves and party. And work again for the many, not the few. Thank you."

Levi Murphy Speech at Planned Parenthood Presidential Forum
Columbia, South Carolina

Tim Westra had demonstrated some weaknesses on the issue of abortion. Levi's team had attempted to wedge that issue for progressives to win over some voters, and the Planned Parenthood Forum provided a good opportunity to do that. Levi had arrived with a Planned Parenthood Pin on his coat.

"Hello, thank you all for being here. Some of you may know me as that healthcare candidate, but my real name is Levi Murphy. I'm the Senator for Minnesota, and I fully support and want to further fund Planned Parenthood. Medicare for All will cover all of the costs of medical procedures: including abortions and reproductive health. Not many will say that, but I will, because I not only believe healthcare is a human right, but for it to be a right, it must be accessed by all. Not just a few. There is something crucially important that we need to talk about. As a Senator, I am will aware of the bill proposed by Senator Barry Anderson in the latest attacks against women's rights and the right to choose."

"The extreme new legislation that they are proposing not only threaten the rights of women, but they want to criminalize any doctors involved in the procedures. So not only is this is war against women, but the Republicans want to throw your doctors into prison. It's a war on your local doctors, it's a war on Planned Parenthood, and it's war that we will fight back in. I think it is fair that the people of this country know who proposed the bill, so that they can call their local representatives and complain about this extreme overreach, an overreach that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony Lists opposes. Senator Barry Anderson is the one who introduced the bill, he has endorsed the equally-extreme Governor Prendergast. His bill was co-sponsored by Senator Brown of Wyoming, Senator Slater of Arkansas, Representative Volker of Missouri, Representative Silva of South Carolina and Senator Stuart of Arizona. Contact them! Make your displeasure with their anti-woman bill known. It will take a people's movement to take on this lobby that is entrenched in the Wolf Administration."

Levi took a sip of water that was sitting on the stool next to him.

"At the end of the day, it proves the fake resistance in the Republican Party is exposed. Although Representative Silva appears like he opposes the direction of the Republican Party, he lines up and even co-sponsors their most daring attacks against women's rights yet. It truly proves that moderate Republicans are a thing of the past, it is now the party of extreme fundamentalism, a fundamentalism that targets the vulnerable, including women and the LGBT community. I stand strongly with these communities during these assaults, I stood proudly with women as I voted down their past attempts to regulate your bodies, I stood proudly with the LGBT community when I voted against attempts to wither away your rights. Records matter, especially when you're going to elect the President of the United States. And these records really do matter. I am always been pro-choice, I have no wavered on my progressive commitments and I have not changed my message to 'fit' particular places I visit in our country. Being honest, and frank about what you believe in and what you fight for should be a priority of all candidates, because you can't say one thing to one group, and the other thing to the next. I am in favor of the women's right to choose, I am in favor of including Planned Parenthood into my Medicare for All plan and I am not in favor of creating a body to oversee women and the use of their own personal bodies."

The crowd cheered.

"This is why the Presidential election is so vitally important, along with the string of Senate and House elections in 2020. The chance of a Republican administration again will mean more attacks against Roe v Wade, more sinister bills like the DFLA. Karen Brookshire from the Republicans made it very clear that they intend to tear down Roe v Wade. We need a strong Democratic legislature to fight back. But we need to fight back even without a majority in the Senator. Thank you everyone for coming. Please subscribe to the Levi 2020 mailing list so we can let you know when our next event is going to be held against the DFLA. We're going to need to unite together to do this and defeat the bill."
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Titanne
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Titanne » Mon May 25, 2020 9:21 pm

On the way back to his hotel for their last night in LA, Felix passed Griffith Park. Multiple police cars were lined up at the entrance to one of the trails leading up to the sign. He pulled the car over, and hopped out, approaching one of the officers.

"Excuse me sir, what happened here? Can I go into the park?"

"Sorry, no can do. No one can go up there today."

Felix shrugged, and went back to his car. What had shut down the park, and given a reason for the cops to be there, he wondered. He remembered earlier events, the mysterious man in the bathroom. The vagrant warning about "El Wendigo". What had happened?

He continued on with his day as usual after that.
Ridin' with Biden

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Mon May 25, 2020 11:21 pm

The SCDP Convention

"Thank you for this gracious welcome to the South Carolina Democratic Party convention! I am honored to join so many other candidates on this stage. To the organizers, my thanks.

Every election is as important as the next, and as the last. This one, this is the one that defines the course of the next decade and much of the 21st Century. In our nation's two-hundred year history, one group has been underrepresented to an exceptional degree. Black Americans deserve the same opportunities to thrive and succeed as any other group. It is unacceptable that despite the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act passing long ago, housing costs continue to burgeon Black Americans to inexorable degrees. The history of the United States has not been kind to Black Americans, and those who have picked up the torch for Civil Rights show this. The little progress we've made has been tossed aside in recent years as the Voting Rights Act is weakened and voters purged from rolls across the country. The horror of slavery continues to impact Americans to this day. The generational poverty that slavery and Jim Crow have wrought on today's Americans cannot be ignored.

In today's America, ZIP codes and credit cards do more to determine your opportunities for success than anything else. Merit does not factor into it. To some, that sounds fair, but inherited success is the exact opposite. It is unfair on ordinary Americans that their great grandparents inability to buy a house weighs down their ability go to college today. It is unfair on tomorrow's retired Americans that Social Security is improperly funded, or that hospitals are underequipped. It is unfair on today's working Americans, black or white, old or young, city dwellers or country folk, that access to housing, a sustainable income and opportunities for success are limited to income. No state has seen the damage of this more than the state of South Carolina. Teachers are underpaid, roads are in dire need of attention and sheriffs remain improperly accounted for. All the while working families struggle to get a foot in the property market, while others file for bankruptcy over medical bills. Going to the doctor shouldn't cost a house. Buying a house shouldn't be a tossup between college for the kids or shelter from the cold.

These choices are unjust, and unfair. No American should choose between food on the table or putting their kids through college.

No American should be burdened with the choice of bankruptcy of saving lives.

No American should choose between housing or clothing.

This is why I intend to pass college affordability federally just as I did in a state with a Republican legislature. That is why I intend to pass legislation revitalizing infrastructure nationwide in communities like those here that need better schools, hospitals, airports and public transportation. If I am elected President of the United States we will end redlining and ensure that there is an abundance of accessible, affordable housing in areas that need it most. We will enact choice for you and your family on healthcare. That is the push we make.

For as long as I have a voice. For as long as we have a voice, we must be the voice for the voiceless. The years long duty of joining arms with activists in fighting for justice in all walks of life continues undaunted, the dream of a better America, a fairer America.

Together, we can build a fairer America for tomorrow. Together, we can fight for jobs and opportunity.

Thank you Columbia! Thank you!" Jillian left the stage waving, hopeful of a brighter future both for America and for herself in the polls.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 am

Velahor wrote:“We will see what happens, is there anything else? Any other bipartisan legislation I could sponsor?”

"John Atang's got federal anti-lynching legislation coming up which is long overdue. Otherwise I'm not aware of any new bills in the pipeline as of yet, unless there's something you'd like to work on with me?"
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue May 26, 2020 4:17 am

Velahor wrote:Davit saw the letter, and showed up at Caroline’s office.

“Good afternoon Congresswoman Simone, may I ask, why is it that you’re calling me in to this meeting?”

Davit had known about some trouble that had gone on at the party, but was not aware of the details, as he had stopped to tie his shoe and was well behind the rest on the trail.

"Sit down, Davit." Her voice was unusually terse. She had been happy with Papazian until this party had come to her attention, and as the host, Papazian was essentially responsible for the whole proceeding. Drumming her fingers on the desk, she glowered at him across the span of it.

"I want you to explain to me, clearly, why Vice President Diehl, his wife, the Governor of California, and three other Representatives including a Republican ended up embroiled in a violent incident in Griffith Park."
Last edited by Gordano and Lysandus on Tue May 26, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue May 26, 2020 4:20 am

Sarenium wrote:"I'll reach out to Trahan for his vote, and we'll lean on the Alaskan and Alabamian Democrat, if 51 Aye votes come together," he glanced at the Maine and Coloradan Senators, "then yes, we will likely filibuster," he looked to Leader Warrick.

"I believe Senators (not-Collins) and (not-Gardner) know where they stand." Warrick had charged her with keeping them in line and this was a task to which she was inexhaustively committed. "At a risk of being cynical, why don't we try to get the matter dealt with before Senator Little's successor is seated?"
Neoliberal

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 am

Tim Westra 2020: Sharing the Benefits of Technology
The 21st Century has seen some of the most rapid technological developments in human history. Your data is now worth more than oil. Yet, only a handful of companies are reaping the majority of the increased benefits from technology. We need to take a modern approach so everyone shares in the successes of technology.
Data is the oil of the 21st Century. Literally. Your data - every website you visit, every post you put up on social media, every online form you fill out - is the most valuable resource in the world right now.

But do you get a cut every time a tech firm uses that data? Do you get a check in the mail, or some kind of compensation for it? Do you even know whether your data is being used?

The irresponsible use of data without consumer knowledge is just the tip of the iceberg. Giant digital firms like Google, Amazon, Apple, and Facebook are operating in an environment where there is little control over and little knowledge of their actions. These companies get to call the shots on sensitive issues like freedom of speech, private safety, and curbing the spread of misinformation.

Facebook's goal isn't a secure society, it's to cut a profit. And right now, the profit incentive is getting in the way of responsible self-regulation in the interest of societal wellbeing. Foreign actors are using tech platforms to interfere in our elections, political campaigns are able to rapidly spread "alternative facts" all over social media, political dissidents often have their voices suppressed, and our children are being exposed to predators and unsafe content online - all because of an unregulated business model that centers around addiction and engagement.

Worse still, our government is currently completely unequipped to deal with the pressing issues posed by technology. That much was evident with disastrous Congressional hearings on technology, featuring completely uninformed politicians asking questions that are not remotely relevant to some of the most powerful CEOs in the tech industry. It should be a concern that the Office of Technology Assessment was abolished in 1995 – not the 21st Century.

It's time for a competent, comprehensive government agenda to deal with the rising tide of technology that is outpacing societal benefit.

EMPOWERING TECHNOLOGY CONSUMERS AND REIGNING IN MONOPOLIES

The big tech companies oftentimes know more about you than some of your best friends or even loved ones. Your taste in music, your favorite TV shows, even your political views - it's likely that a company such as Google knows it all. That's a result of about 90% of all global online searches being performed on just one platform.

Tech companies are using their increasing economic power, their influence over your lives, and their lobbyist cash to crush competition and come out on top. But competition is essential to allow innovation to thrive, even in the tech industry. For example, the rise of companies like Google and Amazon was permitted because the government intervened to stop Microsoft from overtaking the new web browser sector. The reason those companies exist today is because of competitive markets that were created by government advocacy. The irony is that those very same companies are behaving like selfish monopolies today.

Your data belongs to you, not to Facebook or Amazon or any other tech firm. American consumers deserve to operate in a fair market where information flows freely. Senator Westra wants to:

- Codify data as a property right. In the legal status quo, the data that you generate every day belongs to the company that collects it, not you. They can use that data however they wish without informing you - selling it, using it in targeted advertising, and utilizing it to make generalizations about their consumers and large populations. Extracting personal data is the fastest growing industry in America; companies are using your private information without consent. You should be informed by companies as to what data will be collected and how it will be used, and you should be able to opt out of this collection at any time. You should also be informed any time your private data is sold, and companies should delete all your data if you request it.

- Break up Big Tech. The vast majority of technology-related economic activity is benefiting a handful of corporations. Over 70% of all Internet traffic is being processed through sites operated/owned by Google or Facebook. The monopolization of the tech industry is allowing companies like Amazon, who operate proprietary marketplaces, to demote competition - like pushing them to the last page of a web search. A Westra administration will utilize the proper antitrust channels to break up companies like Google, Facebook, and Amazon that are using their economic power to limit competition and fair markets.

- Create a Department of Technology, which operates at the Cabinet level. Technology is too relevant of an issue to be ignored by the federal government. If we have any hope in implementing necessary regulations in the tech industry, it is by understanding it. That can only be done with a government department that assesses the impact of technology and areas where regulations are necessary, similar to the EPA.

CURBING DISINFORMATION ONLINE WHILE SECURING FREE SPEECH

Spreading untrue and misleading content online was a big part of foreign intervention in our elections in 2016 to influence how our population thinks and acts. Tech companies simply did not have the federal guidance and processes in place to deal with this foreign meddling.

The security of our democracy is more important than the tech profits and shareholder dividends that are financed by advertising false information and putting up sensational content that gets views.

People deserve to know whether the content that they are reading, watching, and listening to is true or not. Tim will work with federal regulators and tech companies to:

- Increase algorithmic transparency. Right now, algorithms utilized by platforms like YouTube (owned by Google) and news aggregators often trap people in political bubbles. For those with a leaning towards untrue conspiracy theories instead of objective political content, foreign actors can use these algorithms to their advantage to flood an individual's feed with content of only one kind. Tech companies should have a legal responsibility to explain their content algorithm to every consumer, and allow people to opt out of this content amplification.

- Provide clear labeling for content produced by state-controlled actors. The media organization Russia Today consciously changed its name to RT, making it easy for some consumers of this media to be unaware that it is a state-funded organization. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - the BBC and Al Jazeera are also forms of state media - but consumers should have access to full information about the content they are viewing.

- Amend the Communications Decency Act of 1996 to ensure that operators of Internet services are treated as publishers. If Facebook chooses to put up false content, they should be held liable for any disinformation they spread just as any other publisher would be. This is a good way to disincentivize Internet publishers from spreading fake news.

- Require algorithms on online platforms that allow political advertising to be open source. This is another way to push companies like Facebook away from political advertising, since tech companies are often reluctant to make their code open source for other companies to see.

TECHNOLOGICAL EQUITY

In this day and age, high-speed and quality internet services are crucial for families, young people, and local businesses to operate freely and effectively. Yet lobbyists from big internet service providers and cable companies ensure that in many places, especially rural America, access to a variety of high-speed internet options is limited.

Access to internet should be considered a basic necessity like housing, healthcare, and food. The government should step in to ensure that any citizen who wishes to have access to Internet is able to, and also should abide by principles of a fair market on the Internet.

Tim will:

- Establish a grant program to encourage states and municipalities to make broadband a public utility or provide a public Internet option. This would be competitive $150 billion program to provide affordable or free access to Internet to every American citizen if they want it.

- Increase the FCC definition of minimum broadband speeds and require all internet service providers to provide a basic Internet package that is affordable and high-speed. Big ISPs have enjoyed the privileges of government subsidies, little to no regulation, and light competition. It's time they pay our communities back.

- Instruct the FCC to reinstate net neutrality and codify it so that it cannot be rolled back again by the agency. The power to change website speeds and promote inequality over the Internet should not be vested in the hands of ISPs that are motivate by the money of other companies, not consumer preferences. Tim will fight to reinstate and protect net neutrality.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 am

Sarenium wrote:"I'll reach out to Trahan for his vote, and we'll lean on the Alaskan and Alabamian Democrat, if 51 Aye votes come together," he glanced at the Maine and Coloradan Senators, "then yes, we will likely filibuster," he looked to Leader Warrick.

"I believe Senators (not-Collins) and (not-Gardner) know where they stand." Warrick had charged her with keeping them in line and this was a task to which she was inexhaustively committed. "At a risk of being cynical, why don't we try to get the matter dealt with before Senator Little's successor is seated?"

"I have a hunch that that'd be the excuse for some Senators to pair off and justify voting Aye or Absent," he glared at nobody in particular but his gaze seemed to suggest it wouldn't be practical.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse