NATION

PASSWORD

In Defence of All Lives Matter

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Stanmenistan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

In Defence of All Lives Matter

Postby Stanmenistan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 am

I've read a lot of articles by pro-Black Lives Matter groups about why they don't like the phrase All Lives Matter, but I've never seen anyone defend the All Lives Matter phrase instead. All the pro-Black Lives Matter arguments were all very repetitive, endless copying the same arguments and thinking of ALM as a strawman instead of questioning their own beliefs.

I am curious to see what supporters have to say on the matter. On the one hand, I understand that racial profiling and police brutality may be an issue but on the other, I see that law enforcement is necessary for any non-Utopian society and most police officers risk life and limb to save lives, not end them.

Any supporters of All Lives Matter are welcome here.
Last edited by Stanmenistan on Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About me
Man is free at the instant he wants to be-Voltaire
Think for yourself & let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too― Voltaire
We know more about the surface of the moon than the deep oceans of our own planet-Alastair Fothergill
If we do not become active partners in crafting the policies that involve & affect our work, it will be done without our insight, reason & wisdom-Rita R Colwell
The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. He can be worshipped in the cathedral or in the laboratory. His creation is majestic, awesome, intricate, & beautiful-Francis Collins
It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right & wrong-Jeremy Bentham

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat May 23, 2020 3:37 am

Stanmenistan wrote:I've read a lot of articles by pro-Black Lives Matter groups about why they don't like the phrase All Lives Matter, but I've never seen anyone defend the All Lives Matter phrase instead. I am curious to see what supporters have to say on the matter. On the one hand, I understand that racial profiling and police brutality may be an issue but on the other, I see that law enforcement is necessary for any non-Utopian society and most police officers risk life and limb to save lives, not end them.

So maybe you can explain how "Black Lives Matter" somehow implies that other lives don't.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Adersfield
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adersfield » Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 am

Vassenor wrote:
Stanmenistan wrote:I've read a lot of articles by pro-Black Lives Matter groups about why they don't like the phrase All Lives Matter, but I've never seen anyone defend the All Lives Matter phrase instead. I am curious to see what supporters have to say on the matter. On the one hand, I understand that racial profiling and police brutality may be an issue but on the other, I see that law enforcement is necessary for any non-Utopian society and most police officers risk life and limb to save lives, not end them.

So maybe you can explain how "Black Lives Matter" somehow implies that other lives don't.

so can you explain why them hating us saying "all lives matter" is making them think that doesn't include them?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 am

Adersfield wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

so can you explain why them hating us saying "all lives matter" is making them think that doesn't include them?

Because it exists purely to shut down discussions about police racism.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:42 am

Adersfield wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

When you say "all lives matter" what is your political agenda? It is a slogan, right? It expresses some idea, a political idea or not. What is that idea to you?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Munkcestrian RepubIic
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian RepubIic » Sat May 23, 2020 3:42 am

you don’t get to decide who is and isn’t welcome in a thread

Which year is this? Have I suddenly travelled back in time four years to 2016 when this was actually still relevant and in the news?
MUNKCESTRIAN REPUBLIC
FORTITERDEFENDITTRIUMPHANS

formerly Munkchester — formerly Munkcestrian Republic — he/him/his
Pro-Slavery Alliance

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sat May 23, 2020 3:54 am

Adersfield wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

probably because it entirely ignores the topic at hand and implies that black lives matter doesn't value all lives.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat May 23, 2020 4:07 am

I'm going to steal an example which I have definitely misremembered.
So okay, say you're at a Thanksgiving dinner with your family, and someone's doling out the turkey. Everybody, you included, passes their plate to the end of the table to get a serving, and everybody but you gets back a heaping serving, while you're given nothing. You complain, "don't I deserve some? I did just as much work to help with the dinner as everyone else!" To which the server responds, "why does everything have to be about you? Everyone deserves a serving!" How do you think you would feel in this situation?
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 am

Vassenor wrote:
Adersfield wrote:so can you explain why them hating us saying "all lives matter" is making them think that doesn't include them?

Really ? I would assume that animal rights activists had claimed it decades earlier.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Really ? I would assume that animal rights activists had claimed it decades earlier.

It's no longer associated with that particular context, it's mostly used as a response to "black lives matter"
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 am

Cekoviu wrote:I'm going to steal an example which I have definitely misremembered.
So okay, say you're at a Thanksgiving dinner with your family, and someone's doling out the turkey. Everybody, you included, passes their plate to the end of the table to get a serving, and everybody but you gets back a heaping serving, while you're given nothing. You complain, "don't I deserve some? I did just as much work to help with the dinner as everyone else!" To which the server responds, "why does everything have to be about you? Everyone deserves a serving!" How do you think you would feel in this situation?

"Exactly, and I did not get any. So go do your job properly".
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 23, 2020 4:25 am

Black Lives Matter, White Lives Matter, Brown Lives Matter, Asian Lives Matter, Pacific Islander Lives Matter, and Native American Lives Matter. I was never a fan of the black lives matter movement for many reasons, but that being said, I'm also not a fan of "blue lives matter" because the police can't keep killing unarmed people and then pretend to be the victims when two cops die in NYC.

Yes Black Lives indeed matter. They dont matter more than others though, and some people, not most, seem to forget this point.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 23, 2020 4:28 am

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Adersfield wrote:so can you explain why them hating us saying "all lives matter" is making them think that doesn't include them?

probably because it entirely ignores the topic at hand and implies that black lives matter doesn't value all lives.

Funny, cause I still remember BLM's response when Vester Flannigan killed a news reporter. Talking about "its unfortunate but black people are victims of violence everyday." Like seriously show some damn respect. Now is not the time for your "I'm black and I'm a victim" talk, trying to outdo a dead reporter and cameraman in some sick Olympics of suffering.

Also remember how BLM had some racially segregated meetings. But they totally aren't a bunch of bigots despite having meetings where they asked white people not to come.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat May 23, 2020 4:31 am

Cekoviu wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Really ? I would assume that animal rights activists had claimed it decades earlier.

It's no longer associated with that particular context, it's mostly used as a response to "black lives matter"

"Black lives matter"
"All lives matter, so put down that chicken".

I can see how they would not like that being chanted against them.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 23, 2020 4:35 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:It's no longer associated with that particular context, it's mostly used as a response to "black lives matter"

"Black lives matter"
"All lives matter, so put down that chicken".

I can see how they would not like that being chanted against them.

Damn, were you born that savage or did it come as you aged?

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:probably because it entirely ignores the topic at hand and implies that black lives matter doesn't value all lives.

Funny, cause I still remember BLM's response when Vester Flannigan killed a news reporter. Talking about "its unfortunate but black people are victims of violence everyday." Like seriously show some damn respect. Now is not the time for your "I'm black and I'm a victim" talk, trying to outdo a dead reporter and cameraman in some sick Olympics of suffering.

Also remember how BLM had some racially segregated meetings. But they totally aren't a bunch of bigots despite having meetings where they asked white people not to come.

first of all, minorities, especially in situations where they are being threatened and targetted, deserve to have safe meeting spaces. If that means my white ass can't go to a meeting, GOOD. They deserve to not have to look at every white person and think, "are they here to be an ally or are they here to derail the conversation or heckle or even attack us?"

Second, Vester Flanagan has nothing to do with this. Period. The people who ASSOCIATED Flanagan with BLM and tried to pit all of it on BLM and accuse them of trying to start a race war is what prompted ANY response from BLM. They are WHOLLY separate.
I scream a lot.

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

first of all, minorities, especially in situations where they are being threatened and targetted, deserve to have safe meeting spaces. If that means my white ass can't go to a meeting, GOOD. They deserve to not have to look at every white person and think, "are they here to be an ally or are they here to derail the conversation or heckle or even attack us?"

Second, Vester Flanagan has nothing to do with this. Period. The people who ASSOCIATED Flanagan with BLM and tried to pit all of it on BLM and accuse them of trying to start a race war is what prompted ANY response from BLM. They are WHOLLY separate.

Racism is good when it's minorities?
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sat May 23, 2020 5:11 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:first of all, minorities, especially in situations where they are being threatened and targetted, deserve to have safe meeting spaces. If that means my white ass can't go to a meeting, GOOD. They deserve to not have to look at every white person and think, "are they here to be an ally or are they here to derail the conversation or heckle or even attack us?"

Racism is good when it's minorities?

You clearly don't know what racism is.
I scream a lot.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat May 23, 2020 5:31 am

Marxist Germany wrote:Racism is good when it's minorities?

Racism is bigotry towards somebody based on their ethnicity or skin colour.

It has nothing to do with power structure, despite what some might claim. The last person of an ethnicity who hates the majority is still a racist, even though the institutional power is stacked against them.

On the original topic, the phrase 'all lives matter' in its usual context is obviously neither racist nor bigoted. Of course all lives matter. However, it's hard to ignore that it's a catch-cry to oppose the BLM movement and often used in that context, not in its more literal context.
Last edited by Albrenia on Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sat May 23, 2020 5:37 am

No one defends "All Lives Matter" because everyone knows there's nothing to defend about it, it's just a rejection of "Black Lives Matter" and its opposition to police brutality. It's an anti-message, an exclusionary phrase, "I'm not with them." But who are you with? "Not them."
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat May 23, 2020 5:38 am

Ifreann wrote:No one defends "All Lives Matter" because everyone knows there's nothing to defend about it, it's just a rejection of "Black Lives Matter" and its opposition to police brutality. It's an anti-message, an exclusionary phrase, "I'm not with them." But who are you with? "Not them."

That's how I read the general political use of it, despite the literal meaning of the phrase, too.

If they truly were a movement about all lives mattering, they's be trying to save all lives. Perhaps by promoting investigations into illegitimate police shootings of people of any race including black people.

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sat May 23, 2020 5:42 am

It's an understandable response to the more extreme fringes of BLM. But in interpreting the fringes as representative of the whole it's largely arguing against strawmen and doesn't have much to add to the debate.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Oh so then are you okay with white people having their own safe spaces or is this a one way street? You're opening a very dangerous can of worms when you start setting up racial safe spaces. It sounds an awful lot like segregation, and frankly I don't see how a movement is gonna get alot of white support when it tells white people to stay away. You do understand that under your logic, I could set up a, idk, safe space from Jews right? No jews allowed in Utica after sundown anymore, because as Arabs and Hispanics we deserve a "safe space."

I'm sure you're okay with being excluded as a white person, but unlike you if someone said to me "you're not allowed here because you are hispanic," I would go out of my way to deliberately mess with the bigots by grabbing every brown man in this city and heading there. Racists don't deserve a safe space, so says many a person and I'm sure you have said it one time or another, so if you need a safe space for your race, then no quarter for you in my world.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 am

like 20 posts in and this is already a shitshow

OH BOY, THIS IS GONNA BE WORSE THAN THE TRANS THREADS....
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 am

Marxist Germany wrote:Racism is good when it's minorities?

No, you clearly don't so let me inform you.

Racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Also, the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Who am I gonna take more seriously? Websters dictionary or this deliberate misdefinition of a word by SJWs so when some angry black guy yells "man I just wanna shoot some crackers," they can say he isn't a racist piece of dog shit and potential domestic terrorist.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General