NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIX: Hambergers, Noble Prizes, & Disinfectant

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unifair
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Unifair » Fri May 22, 2020 4:06 pm

If you can worship,pray or read the King James Bible from end to end at home,you don’t have a pressing need to go to church during a pandemic.

When I was a practicing and more faithful Christian,I preferred to do my prayers at home,as I felt closer and felt more of God’s presence somehow than I would in a church full of people. But to each their own I guess.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Fri May 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:
Hakons wrote:
The obvious contradiction here is that the State is forcing the closure of worship services. The State isn't respecting the separation when it demands the reopening of access to public worship, but it is when it demands the closure of Churches?

The problem is the Federal government (Trump) can’t order the States to close or reopen churches because of the Tenth Amendment, not the First Amendment. The Tenth Amendment gives States the inherent sovereignty to enact whatever public health measures they deem necessary, as the Supreme Court said in 1824. And as long as states are neutral in imposing restrictions on all gatherings, not targeted groups, they don’t violate the First Amendment.

As religious freedom advocates have been litigating, and at times winning, many government's aren't imposing neutral restrictions. If restaurants can open and seat people, then Churches can open and seat people. Many states have been discriminating against Churches by keeping religious restrictions in place while loosening commercial restrictions.

In Minnesota, the Catholic and Lutheran bishops straight-up declared they won't follow the religious restrictions anymore because commercial restrictions are lifting while religious ones aren't. In France, of all places, the highest court said the government has to lift religious restrictions in the next week or else it's violating fundamental rights.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
There is a very strong argument to make that the medieval church was the world's first real estate private equity fund, given the way it managed its lands throughout Europe.

They also effectively had their own private military through the Knights groups

Not only that, they were a monopoly until some guy decided to put a nail in a church door.
Generation 31: enter this into your signature and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
This statement is false.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
But states? Because there are no restrictions on movement between states, one state declaring itself to be a sanctuary state is essentially imposing its open border policy on the rest of the country. That's nullification-tier shit Andy Jackson would have slapped down.

Those undocumented immigrants can be arrested when they set foot in another city? They cannot actually live anywhere else than the sanctuary city.

And even in those cities if the federal government discovers them, they are not protected by the city/state.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Sundiata wrote:I completely disagree with the president on this one and so does my church.

When my parish re-opens is up to the diocese, not the governor, and not Trump.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Sundiata wrote:I completely disagree with the president on this one and so does my church.

You aren’t forced to open
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri May 22, 2020 4:19 pm

If restaurants are and other businesses are being opened they churches should also be allowed to open. If the state is yet to open businesses then churches should remain "closed." With the existence of the internet you can very easily hold services for your congregation online.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Solomons Land wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:They also effectively had their own private military through the Knights groups

Not only that, they were a monopoly until some guy decided to put a nail in a church door.

Whether or not they were a "monopoly" was irrelevent because Christ never intended that churches should compete with one another as if they were for-profit businesses in a capitalist marketplace. The Reformation was certainly necessary to to corruption in the Renaissance Catholic Church, but it was unfortunate that Rome excommunicated Luther instead of listening to his sound preaching and fully correcting the error of their ways.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Maineiacs wrote:

This is what real religious liberty is. My diocese has been smart about this and doesn't need government interference.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Maineiacs wrote:

Yes, however, a stupid bishop should not be able to put thousands of his congregants at risk. I am not implying your bishop is stupid, but the government should have a strong hand in times like these.
Generation 31: enter this into your signature and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
This statement is false.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri May 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Hakons wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

This is what real religious liberty is. My diocese has been smart about this and doesn't need government interference.

I imagine our Bishop will consult with state health officials, but the decision rests with him, not them, and certainly not with that jackass in Washington.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
add 6,928 to post count

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri May 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Maineiacs wrote:
Hakons wrote:

I imagine our Bishop will consult with state health officials, but the decision rests with him, not them, and certainly not with that jackass in Washington.

Do the bishop and the trumpet (head?) have good or bad relations?
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri May 22, 2020 4:39 pm

La xinga wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

No clue.
add 6,928 to post count

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 4:43 pm

La xinga wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

Trump could not care less about the bishops. He calls himself Presbyterian, but he is essentially agnostic.
This statement is false.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri May 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Solomons Land wrote:
La xinga wrote:Do the bishop and the trumpet (head?) have good or bad relations?

Trump could not care less about the bishops. He calls himself Presbyterian, but he is essentially agnostic.

Trump worships Mammon.
add 6,928 to post count

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri May 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Maineiacs wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Most of the Dioceses in my state(Texas) reopened when the state government recommended it. Dallas is the main holdout and the bishop's facing backlash over that- from laypeople in the Diocese.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri May 22, 2020 4:47 pm

La xinga wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

Trump has poor relations with most Catholic bishops. He does have good relations with the SSPX, and with a few individual bishops, but not with the USCCB as a whole.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Blatant red meat to the evangelical conservatives, though somehow not the most dangerous thing he's suggested in recent weeks.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Maineiacs wrote:
Solomons Land wrote:

Trump worships Mammon.

I don't think greed really suits him all that well. I think Lucifer is the better pick, he seems more motivated by his pride than greed.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Hakons wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:That's not something he can enforce, nor is it something that he should be able to.

Separation of Church and State works both ways or not at all.

The obvious contradiction here is that the State is forcing the closure of worship services. The State isn't respecting the separation when it demands the reopening of access to public worship, but it is when it demands the closure of Churches?

Public safety overrules all.

They're not going to let you go into a church if there's an active shooter situation either.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

Most of the Dioceses in my state(Texas) reopened when the state government recommended it. Dallas is the main holdout and the bishop's facing backlash over that- from laypeople in the Diocese.

Does DWF have a high rate of cases or something?

Even Atlanta is opening up on the 25th, though individual parishes can request to remain closed or preform outside mass.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri May 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Most of the Dioceses in my state(Texas) reopened when the state government recommended it. Dallas is the main holdout and the bishop's facing backlash over that- from laypeople in the Diocese.

Does DWF have a high rate of cases or something?

Even Atlanta is opening up on the 25th, though individual parishes can request to remain closed or preform outside mass.

Dallas doesn't seem to have that high a case rate(and in any case, Fort Worth has been open for weeks). It probably has to do with the intersection of the bishop's personality and the makeup of the diocesan council.

Stellonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Fri May 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Wink Wonk We Like Stonks wrote:is your sig meant to say "anti-islamophobe" ? islamophobe seems pretty inconsistent with the rest of it.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1368009

There is a significant difference between its and it's.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Maineiacs wrote:
Solomons Land wrote:

Trump worships Mammon.

Trump worships himself. He tweeted about himself being the Second Coming of God to the Jewish people.... who absolutely do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/08 ... -of-israel
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-twee ... in-israel/

It's no wonder some are beginning to think of him as the Anti-Christ.
Last edited by Katganistan on Fri May 22, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri May 22, 2020 5:10 pm

I dont think the president has the authority to "open" up the churches. That said, the states dont have the authority to shut them down either.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General