NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Condemn Australian rePublic

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Wed May 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Overall really nice, I think a condemnation is an interesting choice for this nation but I will likely vote for. Here are some things I saw, and think you can improve:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:The noble Security Council,

Aware that each day governments will encounter various national issues, and that while these issues may sometimes arise naturally, they are often instead the result of ill-intentioned organisations seeking to undermine the peace and sovereignty of their victim nations,

Asserting that Australian rePublic has fabricated such issues on an unimaginable scale, and that the suffering for which it is responsible cannot be by anyone fully comprehended,

this first part is fine. Although not necessary I would recommend changing the highlighted to a more grammatically correct "fully comprehended by anyone".
Highlighting the fact that this Council exists for the “spreading of peace and goodwill”, ideals which we, and indeed the entire international community, hold dearly in our hearts,

I believe this is an unnecessary clause, do not to need to outline the purpose of the security council.
Convinced that Australian rePublic represents a threat to these ideals in all nations of all universes, and that the fallout of its vicious crimes is inescapable by even the most isolated and unprovocative governments,

Amazing!
Attempting to communicate to some degree the horrors Australian rePublic has unleashed on thousands of victim nations by describing just a few of the covert missions its government has so maliciously orchestrated:
  • Mission #552: “Must Be A Full Moon”, in which Australian rePublic co-ordinated the strategic mooning of government officials in an attempt to incite dangerous national revolutions, inadvertently crashing fashion industries across the universes by causing an inexplicable drop in demand for pants,
  • Mission #664: “Your Land Or Mine”, in which the national government sent veritable flash mobs of secret agents into unsuspecting nations, inventing entire fake indigenous tribes and cultures with sacred sites conveniently located over valuable mining locations, leading to economic collapses and the subsequent deaths of billions due to irreparably destroyed healthcare systems,
  • Mission #733: “The Path Less Traveled”, in which ports vital to national economies were frozen over with toxic chemicals in an attempt to invade nations with armies of millions of malicious macaroni penguins, and where only poor mission planning on behalf of Australian rePublic prevented thousands of nations from being totally overrun by the aquatic birds,
  • Mission #981: “Westfailian Sovereignty”, in which the leftover penguins from Mission #733 were sent into innocent states disguised as dangerous masked terrorists all under pseudonym “Mega Momo”, leading to the imperiling of national sovereignty as nations across the universes hopelessly invaded one another seeking to eliminate the terrorist in the international craze now known as “Momo Madness”, and
  • Mission #1237: “A Polar Bear’s Tale”, in which Australian rePublic fabricated nonsensical legislation concerning such matters as polar bears and fire hoses and slipped these eccentric laws into the government archives of unsuspecting victim nations, leading to allegations of corruption and an unprecedented demand for goggles,
Aware that Australian rePublic’s actions will have impacts lasting into eternity, and that the effects of these terrible missions are irreversible even for such a powerful organization as this Council,

Convinced that the damage Australian rePublic has dealt the international community must not be ignored or forgotten, as many of us doubtless wish it would be, but instead be grimly remembered, and that we must make an example of this nation to communicate that such malicious behaviour will not be tolerated by this Council,

Hereby condemns Australian rePublic.

This last part is great.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Fri May 15, 2020 4:50 am

I think you should add something about Aussie’s fruit basket habit. They constitute bribes!
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Fri May 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Fauxia wrote:I think you should add something about Aussie’s fruit basket habit. They constitute bribes!

I am not comfortable canonlising the player nation Australian rePublic with the In-Issue nation of Ausblic. It seems to metagamey to me - there are seperate things even if he is the author of that nation
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Full support.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri May 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Warzone Codger wrote:
Fauxia wrote:I think you should add something about Aussie’s fruit basket habit. They constitute bribes!

I am not comfortable canonlising the player nation Australian rePublic with the In-Issue nation of Ausblic. It seems to metagamey to me - there are seperate things even if he is the author of that nation

I think this was actually a reference to Aussie's former habit of posting fruit basket pics to new players drafting issues in the Got Issues? forum. It was spammy and he stopped doing that after being warned by the editors.

But another nation created an issue about a nation named Ausblic that kept sending fruit baskets to @@NAME@@, inspired by Aussie's behavior. Aussie was not the originator of Ausblic.
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Fri May 15, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Thanks for all the responses, folks! Sorry it took me a while to reply.
The Unified Missourtama States wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Asserting that Australian rePublic has fabricated such issues on an unimaginable scale, and that the suffering for which it is responsible cannot be by anyone fully comprehended,
Although not necessary I would recommend changing the highlighted to a more grammatically correct "fully comprehended by anyone".
Hi, and thanks for your response. I realise the grammar is a tad strange, but I'm trying to make the proposal sound as over-dramatised as possible, so I'm inclined to leave this as-is.
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Highlighting the fact that this Council exists for the “spreading of peace and goodwill”, ideals which we, and indeed the entire international community, hold dearly in our hearts,

I believe this is an unnecessary clause, do not to need to outline the purpose of the security council.
I really thought about this, wrote an alternate version of the part, and deliberated about which I prefer; if I get further similar responses I may reconsider, but right now I think this clause does a good job of explicitly stating why this nation deserves the Council's attention. It also continues the over-sincere rhetoric with the "dearly in our hearts" part, which I’m quite fond of. Like I said, if I get some more replies on this I’ll be open to changing it, but right now my preference is to keep the current version.
Convinced that Australian rePublic represents a threat to these ideals in all nations of all universes, and that the fallout of its vicious crimes is inescapable by even the most isolated and unprovocative governments,

Amazing!
Attempting to communicate to some degree the horrors Australian rePublic has unleashed on thousands of victim nations by describing just a few of the covert missions its government has so maliciously orchestrated:
  • Mission #552: “Must Be A Full Moon”, in which Australian rePublic co-ordinated the strategic mooning of government officials in an attempt to incite dangerous national revolutions, inadvertently crashing fashion industries across the universes by causing an inexplicable drop in demand for pants,
  • Mission #664: “Your Land Or Mine”, in which the national government sent veritable flash mobs of secret agents into unsuspecting nations, inventing entire fake indigenous tribes and cultures with sacred sites conveniently located over valuable mining locations, leading to economic collapses and the subsequent deaths of billions due to irreparably destroyed healthcare systems,
  • Mission #733: “The Path Less Traveled”, in which ports vital to national economies were frozen over with toxic chemicals in an attempt to invade nations with armies of millions of malicious macaroni penguins, and where only poor mission planning on behalf of Australian rePublic prevented thousands of nations from being totally overrun by the aquatic birds,
  • Mission #981: “Westfailian Sovereignty”, in which the leftover penguins from Mission #733 were sent into innocent states disguised as dangerous masked terrorists all under pseudonym “Mega Momo”, leading to the imperiling of national sovereignty as nations across the universes hopelessly invaded one another seeking to eliminate the terrorist in the international craze now known as “Momo Madness”, and
  • Mission #1237: “A Polar Bear’s Tale”, in which Australian rePublic fabricated nonsensical legislation concerning such matters as polar bears and fire hoses and slipped these eccentric laws into the government archives of unsuspecting victim nations, leading to allegations of corruption and an unprecedented demand for goggles,
Aware that Australian rePublic’s actions will have impacts lasting into eternity, and that the effects of these terrible missions are irreversible even for such a powerful organization as this Council,

Convinced that the damage Australian rePublic has dealt the international community must not be ignored or forgotten, as many of us doubtless wish it would be, but instead be grimly remembered, and that we must make an example of this nation to communicate that such malicious behaviour will not be tolerated by this Council,

Hereby condemns Australian rePublic.

This last part is great.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! And thanks for your feedback. :)
Warzone Codger wrote:

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:
Warzone Codger wrote:

I think this was actually a reference to Aussie's former habit of posting fruit basket pics to new players drafting issues in the Got Issues? forum. It was spammy and he stopped doing that after being warned by the editors.

But another nation created an issue about a nation named Ausblic that kept sending fruit baskets to @@NAME@@, inspired by Aussie's behavior. Aussie was not the originator of Ausblic.
Taking all of this together, I'm not sure any changes are appropriate, and I'd hate to get whacked by a moderator for doing something illegal. Regardless, thanks for the responses! :)
Atheris wrote:Full support.
Glad to hear it! :)
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Sat May 23, 2020 10:59 am

I don’t see how it would be illegal.

Aussie’s fruit baskets were a Got Issues meme for quite a bit. I’d be very disappointed to not see it in this proposal.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat May 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Fauxia wrote:I don’t see how it would be illegal.

Aussie’s fruit baskets were a Got Issues meme for quite a bit. I’d be very disappointed to not see it in this proposal.

No, it should be included in the proposal. I was just trying to say that it would be problematic to equate the NS nation of Ausblic with Australian rePublic, even if the former was based on the latter. Also, the fruit basket issue that first introduced Ausblic into the game was not written by Australian rePublic himself.

But quite apart from that, Aussie's obnoxious habit of spamming the GI forum with fruit baskets can be mentioned in the condemnation, of course. :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Tue May 26, 2020 4:04 am

I know Australian Republic is/was also prolific on the Global Economics and Trade forum, so it might also be good to mention that area. As I recall, AR did have a fruit/vegetable storefront.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Fruit-basket clauses have been added!

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Tue May 26, 2020 9:19 pm

No, it should be included in the proposal. I was just trying to say that it would be problematic to equate the NS nation of Ausblic with Australian rePublic, even if the former was based on the latter. Also, the fruit basket issue that first introduced Ausblic into the game was not written by Australian rePublic himself.

But quite apart from that, Aussie's obnoxious habit of spamming the GI forum with fruit baskets can be mentioned in the condemnation, of course. :)
Electrum wrote:I know Australian Republic is/was also prolific on the Global Economics and Trade forum, so it might also be good to mention that area. As I recall, AR did have a fruit/vegetable storefront.
All right, so due to popular demand, I've added a clause about Australian rePublic's distribution of brainwashing chemicals (disguised as "fruit baskets", of course). Also a clause about how mods ("Mysterious Otherworldly Deities", get it? :D) ended up intervening make them stop. I've avoided linking the condemnee with "Ausblic", so illegality shouldn't be a problem.
I considered adding something about the Global Economics and Trade forums, but since the fruits are framed as brainwashing people into organising their own missions (a.k.a. writing their own Issues), having them sold on the side in another forum doesn't really make sense. I could have framed it a different way, but I think the scope of the proposal is good as-is. Still, thanks Electrum for the idea! :)

I must say, I was hesitant to add this stuff in at first, but I really like it. Thanks to everyone who suggested this! :)

What are your thoughts, folks; did I do the baskets justice?
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu May 28, 2020 7:04 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:No, it should be included in the proposal. I was just trying to say that it would be problematic to equate the NS nation of Ausblic with Australian rePublic, even if the former was based on the latter. Also, the fruit basket issue that first introduced Ausblic into the game was not written by Australian rePublic himself.

Electrum wrote:I know Australian Republic is/was also prolific on the Global Economics and Trade forum, so it might also be good to mention that area. As I recall, AR did have a fruit/vegetable storefront.
All right, so due to popular demand, I've added a clause about Australian rePublic's distribution of brainwashing chemicals (disguised as "fruit baskets", of course). Also a clause about how mods ("Mysterious Otherworldly Deities", get it? :D) ended up intervening make them stop. I've avoided linking the condemnee with "Ausblic", so illegality shouldn't be a problem.
I considered adding something about the Global Economics and Trade forums, but since the fruits are framed as brainwashing people into organising their own missions (a.k.a. writing their own Issues), having them sold on the side in another forum doesn't really make sense. I could have framed it a different way, but I think the scope of the proposal is good as-is. Still, thanks Electrum for the idea! :)

I must say, I was hesitant to add this stuff in at first, but I really like it. Thanks to everyone who suggested this! :)

"the mysterious otherworldly deities known to work only in the shadows took physical form to pass their cosmic judgements"

Hahahaha! Oooh, I love it.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Thu May 28, 2020 8:01 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:

Hello and welcome to Got Issues the Security Council! It's always nice to see a new writer!

Excellent, especially for a first draft!

Now let's take a look. I'm gonna be abrupt and to the point here, which is a reflection of my personality, not your work:

Quote edit is mine.

The mods did not tell Aussie to stop posting the above message (which I received three times). It was the editor Candlewhisper Archive, I believe.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Thu May 28, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Atheris wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:All right, so due to popular demand, I've added a clause about Australian rePublic's distribution of brainwashing chemicals (disguised as "fruit baskets", of course). Also a clause about how mods ("Mysterious Otherworldly Deities", get it? :D) ended up intervening make them stop. I've avoided linking the condemnee with "Ausblic", so illegality shouldn't be a problem.

"the mysterious otherworldly deities known to work only in the shadows took physical form to pass their cosmic judgements"

Epic! Glad to hear you like it. :)
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:

Hello and welcome to Got Issues the Security Council! It's always nice to see a new writer!

Excellent, especially for a first draft!

Now let's take a look. I'm gonna be abrupt and to the point here, which is a reflection of my personality, not your work:

Quote edit is mine.

The mods did not tell Aussie to stop posting the above message (which I received three times). It was the editor Candlewhisper Archive, I believe.
Thanks for the welcome, and the fruit basket too! Aw, you're right, Candlewhisper Archive's not a moderator. But I don't explicitly say they are — so d'you think I can get away with it? I'm not confident I could make an acronym that spells out "Senior Issues Editor", is the thing… :)
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Fri May 29, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri May 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
Atheris wrote:

Epic! Glad to hear you like it. :)
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:

Quote edit is mine.

Thanks for the welcome, and the fruit basket too! Aw, you're right, Candlewhisper Archive's not a moderator. But I don't explicitly say they are — so d'you think I can get away with it? I'm not confident I could make an acronym that spells out "Senior Issues Editor", is the thing… :)

I think you could say that an Issues Editor is like some kind of legislator who drafts the final version of bill proposals to be discussed in the parliament/senate/cabinet meeting, or whatever. No?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Epic! Glad to hear you like it. :)Thanks for the welcome, and the fruit basket too! Aw, you're right, Candlewhisper Archive's not a moderator. But I don't explicitly say they are — so d'you think I can get away with it? I'm not confident I could make an acronym that spells out "Senior Issues Editor", is the thing… :)

I think you could say that an Issues Editor is like some kind of legislator who drafts the final version of bill proposals to be discussed in the parliament/senate/cabinet meeting, or whatever. No?
Unfortunately, that would require a heck of a lot of reframing stuff (possibly a complete rewrite of everything), since at present there's no reference to "bills being drafted and made into legislation" — just some crazy missions and some very dangerous brainwash-y fruit baskets. And I think that trying to reframe things for that depiction of Editors would make the proposal lose a lot of its humour value. So right now I'm inclined to leave it — I don't think it'll be an especially big problem. Of course, as I get more responses, I may reconsider my position.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Thoughts, everyone?

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Just bumping this thread back up the forums page with some new minor edits. I'd really appreciate more feedback, particularly regarding the fruit-basket clauses. Thanks! :)
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Instead of asserting, it may be better to say something like "cognizant that...". When you assert something, you leave a door open for the possibility that it may be falsified by someone else. If you say that you are cognizant of something, you presuppose that something to be true and uncontroversial. I believe it is better to frame it this way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presupposition

For the fruit baskets, it is a little weird to suggest that they were actually "gases" - let us not stretch the boundaries of imagination that far, unless you can explain how the fruits assumed gas form. I would propose one of the following:

- the fruits were poisonous.
- they had "bugs" - equipped with covert listening devices shaped like maggots that you could expect to find in a fruit basket - and thus served an espionage purpose
- (more subtle subversion) the fruits were real fruits, but genetically modified, and the purpose was to dominate the native flora of the country with these GMOs and destroy ecological equilibrium and biodiversity

I am not sure if "impact" is used in plural. I feel that I mostly hear/read it in singular form.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:35 am

Instead of asserting, it may be better to say something like "cognizant that...". When you assert something, you leave a door open for the possibility that it may be falsified by someone else. If you say that you are cognizant of something, you presuppose that something to be true and uncontroversial. I believe it is better to frame it this way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presupposition

For the fruit baskets, it is a little weird to suggest that they were actually "gases" - let us not stretch the boundaries of imagination that far, unless you can explain how the fruits assumed gas form. I would propose one of the following:

- the fruits were poisonous.
- they had "bugs" - equipped with covert listening devices shaped like maggots that you could expect to find in a fruit basket - and thus served an espionage purpose
- (more subtle subversion) the fruits were real fruits, but genetically modified, and the purpose was to dominate the native flora of the country with these GMOs and destroy ecological equilibrium and biodiversity

I am not sure if "impact" is used in plural. I feel that I mostly hear/read it in singular form.
Thanks for the feedback! I took your advice and switched to "Cognisant of the fact that". And that Wikipedia article was actually a pretty interesting read, so thanks for that. :)

My initial idea with the gases was that the flesh on the inside of the fruits had been replaced somehow so that slicing them open released the brainwashing pollutants into the air. It was kind of a weird notion, but I'd been struggling to make the fruits sound like something other than recreational drugs. :/ I think I've since figured it out; the brainwashing stuff is now basically a pesticide (just a chemical that's absorbed into the fruits) that makes leaders want to create their own issues. Your ideas were all good, but they would have required I rewrite the subsequent clauses and a) I really like them and b) having the fruits motivate people to write their own issues is much more accurate to what the actual purpose of the baskets was on the forums.

As for the "impacts" thing, I looked it up. Apparently it varies, but I think in this case having the "s" is okay — I'm referring to various individual impacts, each one affecting nations in a different way. (Come to think of it, this actually has significance in itself, since nations respond to the issues in different ways.)

Question: This one's been in draft for a while; do you think it's nearing the submission process?
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:40 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Question: This one's been in draft for a while; do you think it's nearing the submission process?

I am not very experienced in matters of the Security Council, unfortunately. I would personally say that it looks good to me, but I don't know if an SC-nerd would pop up and object to my opinion at this point. :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:54 pm

Sorry for the late feedback.

Cognisant should be cognizant.

The "highlighting" clause is unnecessary and does not add to the resolution. You can probably change "these ideals" in the next clause with "peace and goodwill".

Here are some suggested improvements to the list of issues AR wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Attempting to communicate to some degree the horrors Australian rePublic has unleashed on thousands of victim nations by describing just a few of the covert missions its government has so maliciously orchestrated:
  • Mission #552: “Must Be A Full Moon”, in which Australian rePublic co-ordinated the strategic mooning of government officials in an attempt to incite dangerous national revolutions, and inadvertently crashing fashion industries across the universes by causing an inexplicable drop in demand for pants,
  • Mission #664: “Your Land Or Mine”, in which the national government sent veritable flash mobs of undercover agents were sent into unsuspecting nations, inventing entire fake indigenous tribes and cultures with sacred sites conveniently located over valuable mining locations and leading to economic collapses and the subsequent deaths of billions due to irreparably destroyed healthcare systems,

I'm not quite sure how Issue 664 leads to 'and the subsequent deaths of billions due to irreparably destroyed healthcare systems,' nor how penguins have to do with issues 733 and 981. You can write how AR has been evil without having to make references to penguins. All the other commendations commending issues writers have been factual and to the point. For example, you could write about issue 733 having a 'crazed crackpot climatologist' that suggests pumping chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere as one of the issue options.

I also suggest having line breaks in between all the dot-points just to ease readability (up to you however if you want to act on this)

I think "mysterious otherworldly deities" might not work since IEs are not themselves moderators. Maybe think of an acronym for IE instead? In the same clause, change "end" to "ended". "lasting into eternity" can be changed to "lasting an eternity"

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:One question: I've heard that telegram campaigns are sometimes necessary — is this the kind of thing that needs one, particularly to make it to quorum? And how do they work?

Yes, it seems that pretty much all resolutions need a TG campaign to make it to quorum. You can use telegram stamps or use a program like Communique to send telegrams. Make sure to use tag: delegates and mark as a campaign telegram or you'll fall fowl of the mods.

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Question: This one's been in draft for a while; do you think it's nearing the submission process?

Looks like it's close to submitting. I suggest asking some of the authors who wrote SC resolutions for issues writers for feedback as well.
Last edited by Electrum on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:16 pm

I am not very experienced in matters of the Security Council, unfortunately. I would personally say that it looks good to me, but I don't know if an SC-nerd would pop up and object to my opinion at this point. :)
Thanks for your response! I'll probably give it a few days and then go to "last call".

Whoa, that's a lot of feedback, Electrum! Thanks!
Electrum wrote:Cognisant should be cognizant.
I appreciate it, but that's a British/American difference. "Cognisant" is also a word.
Electrum wrote:The "highlighting" clause is unnecessary and does not add to the resolution. You can probably change "these ideals" in the next clause with "peace and goodwill".
I took your suggestion and removed the clause, salvaging a couple parts for the subsequent clause.
Electrum wrote:Here are some suggested improvements to the list of issues AR wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Attempting to communicate to some degree the horrors Australian rePublic has unleashed on thousands of victim nations by describing just a few of the covert missions its government has so maliciously orchestrated:
  • Mission #552: “Must Be A Full Moon”, in which Australian rePublic co-ordinated the strategic mooning of government officials in an attempt to incite dangerous national revolutions, and inadvertently crashing fashion industries across the universes by causing an inexplicable drop in demand for pants,
  • Mission #664: “Your Land Or Mine”, in which the national government sent veritable flash mobs of undercover agents were sent into unsuspecting nations, inventing entire fake indigenous tribes and cultures with sacred sites conveniently located over valuable mining locations and leading to economic collapses and the subsequent deaths of billions due to irreparably destroyed healthcare systems,
I took your advice on point 2 here. I don't think the "and" in point 1 is appropriate though, as the format of the sentence is "in which this happened, leading to this aftermath". Still, thanks! :)
Electrum wrote:I'm not quite sure how Issue 664 leads to 'and the subsequent deaths of billions due to irreparably destroyed healthcare systems,' nor how penguins have to do with issues 733 and 981. You can write how AR has been evil without having to make references to penguins. All the other commendations commending issues writers have been factual and to the point. For example, you could write about issue 733 having a 'crazed crackpot climatologist' that suggests pumping chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere as one of the issue options.

I also suggest having line breaks in between all the dot-points just to ease readability (up to you however if you want to act on this)
My original logic with the healthcare thing was that economic collapses would be detrimental to public services like that. But you're right, it was a bit too tangential, so now it says "surges in unemployment rates", which is a much more logical effect of a collapsed economy. I know the penguins aren't actually mentioned, but I'm trying to go to insane levels of reframing here for humour purposes. I mean, we don't know for sure that those penguins weren't involved somehow, right? :D
I tried to preview how the bullet points would look with line spacing, but the forums wouldn't let me — I kept putting blank lines between the "[*]"s, and the game just ignored them. So I'm probably just going to leave it as-is — it might work to use separate [list] codes for each point, but given it's a purely stylistic choice, that seems a little excessive. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Electrum wrote:I think "mysterious otherworldly deities" might not work since IEs are not themselves moderators. Maybe think of an acronym for IE instead? In the same clause, change "end" to "ended". "lasting into eternity" can be changed to "lasting an eternity"
I appreciate your suggestion on mods vs. editors, but I think using something of initials IE is a little bit too subtle to be noticed, especially since it's not a common initialism anyway (at least from what I've seen). Changed "end" to "ended", but kept the "into" because "an eternity" is generally used to mean "a very large but finite amount of time ", and Australian rePublic's issues will be in circulation forever — or until the game shuts down, anyway…
Electrum wrote:
Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:One question: I've heard that telegram campaigns are sometimes necessary — is this the kind of thing that needs one, particularly to make it to quorum? And how do they work?
Yes, it seems that pretty much all resolutions need a TG campaign to make it to quorum. You can use telegram stamps or use a program like Communique to send telegrams. Make sure to use tag: delegates and mark as a campaign telegram or you'll fall fowl of the mods.

Looks like it's close to submitting. I suggest asking some of the authors who wrote SC resolutions for issues writers for feedback as well.
Thanks so much for this advice! Can that tag be used to telegram some delegates only, or does one need enough stamps for all 1200? As for when to submit, I'll toss something in the original post so more people see it, and might go to "last call" soon.
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:17 pm

I think you need enough stamps to cover all WA delegates. I'm not sure how you can carve out certain WA delegates.

As for cognizant, I am very sure that cognizant is the correct spelling. Merriam-Webster, which is the authoritative US dictionary in my opinion, does not have cognisant. The OED also has cognizant. Cognizant has been used 29 times in SC Resolutions compared to cognisant's 1 (used in a repeal). In essence, change that s to a z :P

Edit:

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I know the penguins aren't actually mentioned, but I'm trying to go to insane levels of reframing here for humour purposes. I mean, we don't know for sure that those penguins weren't involved somehow, right? :D

I think it's more confusing than humorous. If you want to add humour, you should see this recent SCR for ideas.
Last edited by Electrum on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 pm

Don’t break down! Don’t lose out to Americanisation!
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 pm

Electrum wrote:I think you need enough stamps to cover all WA delegates. I'm not sure how you can carve out certain WA delegates.

By using "tag:delegates, -nation:delegate1, -nation:delegate2, -nation:delegate3", where Delegate1, Delegate2 and Delegate3 are all delegates that you wish to exclude. Good luck, notwithstanding the artificially-incorporated macaroni penguins =P
Last edited by Tinhampton on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:01 am

Electrum wrote:I think you need enough stamps to cover all WA delegates. I'm not sure how you can carve out certain WA delegates.
Tinhampton wrote:By using "tag:delegates, -nation:delegate1, -nation:delegate2, -nation:delegate3", where Delegate1, Delegate2 and Delegate3 are all delegates that you wish to exclude. Good luck, notwithstanding the artificially-incorporated macaroni penguins =P
Noted, thanks. I'll probably just send to all delegates, since excluding them one by one might take a while…
Electrum wrote:As for cognizant, I am very sure that cognizant is the correct spelling. Merriam-Webster, which is the authoritative US dictionary in my opinion, does not have cognisant. The OED also has cognizant. Cognizant has been used 29 times in SC Resolutions compared to cognisant's 1 (used in a repeal). In essence, change that s to a z :P
I've seen dictionaries with "cognisant" listed as a variant, but it does look like the "z" is the better choice. It's always hard for me to admit my grammatical mistakes, but I'll concede I was wr— I was wr— … nope, still can't say it. But thanks; I made the change. :)
Honeydewistania wrote:Don’t break down! Don’t lose out to Americanisation!
I'm sorry… :(
Electrum wrote:Edit:

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I know the penguins aren't actually mentioned, but I'm trying to go to insane levels of reframing here for humour purposes. I mean, we don't know for sure that those penguins weren't involved somehow, right? :D
I think it's more confusing than humorous. If you want to add humour, you should see this recent SCR for ideas.
I remember Condemn Psychotic Dictatorships, that one was great. :) And Condemn Auphelia, too, that was a masterpiece. I really did think about your suggestion, and I still think I'd like to keep the penguins here. The basis for this proposal is satirical extrapolation — those indigenous tribes were actually all Australian secret agents — in a way that isn't always pulled directly from the issue. The penguins are the same way, being based off the idea that a port has frozen over. Sure, I could have left it at "Australian rePublic wanted to hurt the economy", but that wouldn't have been very creative of me. And I actually have a mention in there about how the penguins never succeeded "due to poor mission planning of behalf of Australian rePublic", which explains why we never noticed the penguins part of the plan in the actual issue. :) So I really appreciate your advice, and if I get similar responses from more people I might reconsider, but for the time being I think I'll keep the penguins.
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives