NATION

PASSWORD

The Issue of Hatred

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Infinity Shard
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

The Issue of Hatred

Postby Infinity Shard » Wed May 20, 2020 11:14 am

Owing to recent misfortunes, cases of discrimination have spiked around the world.

Across North America and Europe, people of Asian descent are subject to insults, harassment and attacks. Whether they were born in Asia, born in the West or born elsewhere, Asian people have been hit with more racial slurs and physical violence as the pandemic worsened. While people of Chinese descent (e.g. Chinese-Americans) might receive the worst of the discrimination, other Asians are not safe from the increasing hatred. For example, the windows of the Korean consulate in Montreal, Canada were smashed in a coronavirus-fueled hate crime. Many people have condemned the rise in anti-Asian discrimination, but it seems that others (e.g. Donald Trump) - especially those who use sensitive terms like "Chinese virus" - are indirectly or directly promoting such discrimination.

Africa and Asia have their own cases of hatred too. The Chinese diaspora in African countries, consisting of many people with no government ties, have feared backlash over coronavirus concerns. In India, people who look Chinese or East Asian risk being the targets of racial insults and violent attacks by Indians. Other Asian countries such as Vietnam have recorded incidents of Sinophobia and anti-Chinese hatred related to coronavirus fears. South Korea has seen a surge in hatred, though for a different reason; many people in South Korea are scapegoating the entire LGBT community, because recent coronavirus cases have been linked to nightclubs and people who happened to be LGBT.

In China, xenophobic and anti-black discrimination have worsened substantially. Xenophobia comes in many ways; some Americans have reported being called the "American virus" and other light-skinned foreigners are given stark, disgusted looks. As for anti-black discrimination, many black people have been evicted from residences and are treated negatively. Black people in China may be barred from entering hospitals or restaurants, even if they are in a relationship with someone who is ethnically Chinese (ethnically-Chinese partners are not restricted in any manner). But perhaps the worst part is that whereas hatred in other parts of the world is condemned by many governments, the Chinese government/Chinese Communist Party may be at worst condoning the xenophobia and anti-black racism happening in China.

Only one thing is clear. Even with reasonable people and governments taking a stand, it's likely that coronavirus-related discrimination - whether based on race, ethnicity, nationality or even sexual orientation - will persist in the foreseeable future across the world. Given the outstanding ignorance of many people (especially those who may already be secretly hateful or racist), the only possible path for everyone is to be an ally of the persecuted.

I agree that cases of hatred must be called out whenever they arise. However, simply highlighting and prosecuting the perpetrators cannot and will not be enough. What do you think is an effective way of curbing coronavirus-fueled hatred? How should we combat coronavirus-related discrimination, while taking into account relevant national and cultural contexts (e.g. anti-racism in the West vs. anti-racism in Africa vs. xenophobia in China)?

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed May 20, 2020 11:19 am

God Bless.

Life shouldn't be so horrible for so many.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Merther
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Merther » Wed May 20, 2020 11:21 am

Infinity Shard wrote:What do you think is an effective way of curbing coronavirus-fueled hatred?

Are you asking us how to stop racism ? Because you can't, it's never going to stop. All you can do is censor people, and that makes them even more dedicated. Now I wouldn't say there is a "coronavirus-fueled hatred". Picking on a Chinese guy because of coronavirus isn't hatred. Hatred is when you lynch a Chinese guy because he's succeptible to have COVID-19. And only someone incredibly stupid would enter physical contact with someone that's succeptible to carry a potentially deadly disease.

So in conclusion, you can't stop racism and you can't stop incredibly stupid people either. Trust me Humans have tried.
Last edited by Merther on Wed May 20, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merther is not a nation, but the name of a lifeless planet located within a fictionnal planetary system : Cyrthe. To know more about it, click here and don't forget to read the spoilers !
And yes, when I type it's me, the player, typing. I didn't know I had to precise that.

Infinity Shard
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Infinity Shard » Wed May 20, 2020 11:29 am

Merther wrote:
Infinity Shard wrote:What do you think is an effective way of curbing coronavirus-fueled hatred?

Are you asking us how to stop racism ? Because you can't, it's never going to stop. All you can do is censor people, and that makes them even more dedicated. Now I wouldn't say there is a "coronavirus-fueled hatred". Picking on a Chinese guy because of coronavirus isn't hatred. Hatred is when you lynch a Chinese guy because he's succeptible to have COVID-19. And only someone incredibly stupid would enter physical contact with someone that's succeptible to carry a potentially deadly disease.

So in conclusion, you can't stop racism and you can't stop incredibly stupid people either. Trust me Humans have tried.

Curbing as in lessening instances of racism or other discrimination.

It may be hard to make a dent and not everyone could be helped, but I do believe it’s possible (e.g. some former KKK members were saved from racism). We may have to think outside the box for certain cases.

Infinity Shard
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Infinity Shard » Wed May 20, 2020 11:30 am

Sundiata wrote:God Bless.

A pandemic definitely stokes fears. No one knows how bad it’ll get until it hits us.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am

Racist homophobic should not be counted as human. The only solution to racism and homophobia is to exclude these creatures from our society (Inglourious Basterds)
Last edited by Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum on Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed May 20, 2020 11:52 am

Infinity Shard wrote:
Sundiata wrote:God Bless.

A pandemic definitely stokes fears. No one knows how bad it’ll get until it hits us.

Fear not, for the Lord is with you. :p
Last edited by Sundiata on Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Qabea
Envoy

Founded: Apr 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Qabea » Wed May 20, 2020 12:05 pm

I think the only reason we hear about hatred and racism so much is because it's an issue moderates and leftists seem to overreact to in the same manner the right overreacts to LGBTQ issues. Because of that, instances of actual hatred and racism and even implicit bias seem to be overblown.
Last edited by Qabea on Wed May 20, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REPUBLIC of QABEA
A well developed and cultured MT francophone republic spanning the Fertile Crescent.
Nationalist & Progressive Republican from the Deep South

Pronouns: He/Him

Pro: Cultural nationalism, Free college, Free speech, GMO labeling, Gun rights, Labor, Medical marijuana, Populism, Protectionism, Secularism, Universal basic income, Universal healthcare
Neutral: Abortion rights, Green politics, LGBTQ+ rights, Religious freedom
Anti: Affirmative action, Big corporations, Globalism, Immigration, Imperialism, Interventionism, Islamic extremism, Neoconservatism, Neoliberalism, Recreational marijuana, Zionism

Centai Mal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Centai Mal » Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Qabea wrote:I think the only reason we hear about hatred and racism so much is because it's an issue moderates and leftists seem to overreact to in the same manner the right overreacts to LGBTQ issues. Because of that, instances of actual hatred and racism and even implicit bias seem to be overblown.

Yeahhhhh no. No it's not. I live in a small town in NH. The racism I've personally seen thrown at Asian-Americans here is gross. I've seen signs refusing them service, ffs.
“Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.”

Religion: Catholic
Disabled and queer as hell
Biden 2020
Firefighter I certified, off to EMS and Rookie School next fall

Qabea
Envoy

Founded: Apr 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Qabea » Wed May 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Centai Mal wrote:
Qabea wrote:I think the only reason we hear about hatred and racism so much is because it's an issue moderates and leftists seem to overreact to in the same manner the right overreacts to LGBTQ issues. Because of that, instances of actual hatred and racism and even implicit bias seem to be overblown.

Yeahhhhh no. No it's not. I live in a small town in NH. The racism I've personally seen thrown at Asian-Americans here is gross. I've seen signs refusing them service, ffs.

I mean, it's possible but do you have any proof of that?

Like, I live in a place where we're supposed to be the ignorant racists; yet as we re-open, people are rallying around Asian community and small businesses as much if not more as any other group or operation.
Last edited by Qabea on Wed May 20, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REPUBLIC of QABEA
A well developed and cultured MT francophone republic spanning the Fertile Crescent.
Nationalist & Progressive Republican from the Deep South

Pronouns: He/Him

Pro: Cultural nationalism, Free college, Free speech, GMO labeling, Gun rights, Labor, Medical marijuana, Populism, Protectionism, Secularism, Universal basic income, Universal healthcare
Neutral: Abortion rights, Green politics, LGBTQ+ rights, Religious freedom
Anti: Affirmative action, Big corporations, Globalism, Immigration, Imperialism, Interventionism, Islamic extremism, Neoconservatism, Neoliberalism, Recreational marijuana, Zionism

Centai Mal
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Centai Mal » Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 pm

Qabea wrote:
Centai Mal wrote:Yeahhhhh no. No it's not. I live in a small town in NH. The racism I've personally seen thrown at Asian-Americans here is gross. I've seen signs refusing them service, ffs.

Like, I live in a place where we're supposed to be the ignorant racists; yet as we re-open, people are rallying around Asian community and small businesses as much if not more as any other group or operation.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the sign, but here's some other local stuff:
https://www.unionleader.com/news/health ... 4ddf1.html

This is in Australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzUzM_7O--s
“Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.”

Biden 2020

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Wed May 20, 2020 12:32 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Racist homophobic should not be counted as human. The only solution to racism and homophobia is to exclude these creatures from our society (Inglourious Basterds)

Hmm, that seems kinda intolerant of other people's ideas, now doesn't it? Not human, you say? Be careful when saying similar things to what Adolf Hitler said about the Jews, we don't want another 6 million people dead for no good reason.

Anyway, the backlash against innocent Asians is no good, people just need to have more common sense. However, those people are just flat-out afraid. People can do crazy things when they're scared.
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

Centai Mal
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Centai Mal » Wed May 20, 2020 12:34 pm

The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Racist homophobic should not be counted as human. The only solution to racism and homophobia is to exclude these creatures from our society (Inglourious Basterds)

Hmm, that seems kinda intolerant of other people's ideas, now doesn't it? Not human, you say? Be careful when saying similar things to what Adolf Hitler said about the Jews, we don't want another 6 million people dead for no good reason.

Anyway, the backlash against innocent Asians is no good, people just need to have more common sense. However, those people are just flat-out afraid. People can do crazy things when they're scared.

Yes, and I'm sure racists who lynch black people are also just "flat-out afraid"

Being afraid isn't an excuse to hurt and discriminate against others.

Biden 2020

The Federal Government of Iowa
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federal Government of Iowa » Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Centai Mal wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Hmm, that seems kinda intolerant of other people's ideas, now doesn't it? Not human, you say? Be careful when saying similar things to what Adolf Hitler said about the Jews, we don't want another 6 million people dead for no good reason.

Yes, and I'm sure racists who lynch black people are also just "flat-out afraid"

Aye, that's a good point.
I was more talking about unreasonable fear. Unreasonable fear causes those kinds of things, usually.
People just need to have common sense and not let their fear overtake them.
Right-leaning American Christian. Guns are fun. Space is fun too.
gender and biology are the same thing, sorry
I respect your right to ruin your life, but I don't have to celebrate it

"For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!"- Romans 1: 21-25

Infinity Shard
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Infinity Shard » Wed May 20, 2020 12:59 pm

Centai Mal wrote:Yes, and I'm sure racists who lynch black people are also just "flat-out afraid"

Aye, that's a good point.
I was more talking about unreasonable fear. Unreasonable fear causes those kinds of things, usually.
People just need to have common sense and not let their fear overtake them.

Fear is a powerful force. It would have to be mitigated with a public and open effort.

Infinity Shard
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Infinity Shard » Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 pm

Qabea wrote:
Centai Mal wrote:Yeahhhhh no. No it's not. I live in a small town in NH. The racism I've personally seen thrown at Asian-Americans here is gross. I've seen signs refusing them service, ffs.

It’s a good thing that there are openly rallying for the Asian community, and I wish something similar would occur outside of the West for other persecuted groups. Unfortunately, racism can manifest even in minor ways, like deliberately avoiding or running away from Asians.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed May 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Dont you just hate people like that.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Infinity Shard
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Infinity Shard » Wed May 20, 2020 1:18 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Yes, this doesn’t help either.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed May 20, 2020 2:02 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Infinity Shard wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Dont you just hate people like that.

Yes, this doesn’t help either.
But racist homophobic people don't like us.I'm not saying we should act like Hitler, I just say social exclusion. As social democrats, we must defend love and world fraternity
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed May 20, 2020 2:05 pm

I definitely experienced an uptake of anti asian racist jokes and remarks here in Belfast once the Pandemic began to spread. I think the main thing about trying to tackle this kind of stuff is to raise awareness about how it can be spread and educate people (i.e you can get it from non asian people too, which was an argument i saw going back and forth early days over here as well) but at the end of the day, Racism is something that is never going to go away permanently. Some people are just gona be set in their ways and sometimes you cant change that.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Centai Mal
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Centai Mal » Wed May 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:
The Federal Government of Iowa wrote:Hmm, that seems kinda intolerant of other people's ideas, now doesn't it? Not human, you say? Be careful when saying similar things to what Adolf Hitler said about the Jews, we don't want another 6 million people dead for no good reason.

Infinity Shard wrote:Yes, this doesn’t help either.
But racist homophobic people don't like us.I'm not saying we should act like Hitler, I just say social exclusion. As social democrats, we must defend love and world fraternity

Social exclusion just creates an echo chamber for them, however. They can't change if all they know is that sort of ideology

Biden 2020

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed May 20, 2020 2:12 pm

I do wish we lived in a world where people were not so full of ignorance that they thought that Asians as a whole were responsible for Covid-19. It's why, despite strongly opposing the CCP, I refuse to use obnoxious terms like 'Kung Flu' or any other such term made up to place the blame.

The CCP should be held responsible for their failures, but Asian people are a whole should not be harmed, shunned, insulted or harassed for something they had nothing to do with.

Monsone
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsone » Wed May 20, 2020 2:14 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:

Infinity Shard wrote:Yes, this doesn’t help either.

I'm a social democrat and honestly this sounds like a bad idea. Love and world fraternity with exclusion don't work. And no we shouldn't just say "You're a racial biggot but so what." Instead when should admit that not everyone will think like you, and most people won't agree with you. It's human nature. So instead of social exclusion, you try to speak with the person and work your way to the bottom of why they believe such ideas.

And yes when someone is spitting racial slurs you can try to correct them and you can try to ake them see why they are wrong, but in the end you won't always change them. And to censor or socially exclude them is undemocratic and is no better than what a despotic dictator would do because freedom of speech is a key pillar of democracy.

Though I dissagree that people who crtiticize the CCP are racist. The CCP arguably did cause this whole scenaro thanks to goss corruption and utter dissregard for medical profesionals. However the fact that people consider criticizm of the CCP racist is a bad sign that society has forgotten a key difference between factual and productive criticizm and deep BS that cause racisim and promotes hate crimes.
Last edited by Monsone on Wed May 20, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mohn-sohn-eh

Nuclear Power, Electric Vehicles, Single-Payer Universal Healthcare, High-Speed Rail, Social Services, Public Transit, Social Democracy, and Social Democracy.

Nolo gap
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nolo gap » Wed May 20, 2020 2:26 pm

hatred happens, but is never a sufficient excuse for inconsiderateness.
because inconsiderateness allowed to fester, is tyranny by any other name, regardless of politics, economics, belief or anything else.

really you don't have to love anyone, to be considerate of all people places and things.
and it is that, and the logic it takes to implement that, which IS statistically the world YOU, along with everyone else, experience living in.

so really, hater's got no room to whine about tyranny, because that is what creates it.
thoughtlessness isn't an expression of freedom, its the reason we don't have the freedoms that we don't.

and it really doesn't matter how young/old, what anyone looks like, what they go to bed with, or any of the rest of it.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Wed May 20, 2020 2:51 pm

I fucking hate the new DeviantArt.
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Next

Advertisement