NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon May 18, 2020 3:50 am

Polding wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
Or, y'know, doing the smart thing to ensure continued freedom of their ability to live as they wish.

Surely if they fought for their freedom of religion they would despise secularism; because it is a bargain with the devil; he delivers but with a not inconsiderable payment: the Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist will say, ‘Grant us freedom, and we will pay you its destruction!’

Good because abrahamism ought to be destroyed. Thats the whole idea. I am not even denying it.

It's not an bug. It's a feature.

Buddhism though comes not into play.

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 3:50 am

New haven america wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Yes, religions should be free to evangelize in schools.

I hope the majority of America's youth adopts Hinduism and Shintoism.

Why stop at America?
| STATE OF EUDEA
MT pseudoparadisal island nation in the Pacific, calmly weathering the world.
The Nation  Civil Protection Drugs and Illegal Substances officers publicly congratulated on major drug bust // Eudean black tea named the national hot drink

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 18, 2020 3:50 am

Polding wrote:
Kernen wrote:If law demands abortion and drug use, then you would get abortions and shoot up?

Perhaps, just maybe, law and morality are separate.

My soul truly waiteth still upon God; for of Him comes my salvation.

This is a non answer. If you would not so comply, you admit law and morality are separate. And that I am correct.

You don't have to answer. That you won't rather makes my point.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Polding
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Polding » Mon May 18, 2020 3:50 am

Eudea wrote:
Polding wrote:How can you tell? a veil has been cast over your eyes so that you cannot see! And your heart was dulled by sin so that it cannot hear Him...

Uh huh... what sin? Unless you somehow can see my “soul” and know me better than myself?
And I can see perfectly fine, thank you, though I admittedly sometimes need glasses to see things further afield.

You reveal yourself, like a chicken that has lost its head. You confess atheism, what a terrible blindfold on the narrow tightrope that we walk!
O reader, understand the rankness of your devouring belly; For it is that which you now smell in your putrid [poo]. Therefore, leave off feeding the gluttony of your belly; And in good time let the sober life return to you.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Mon May 18, 2020 3:51 am

Polding wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
Or, y'know, doing the smart thing to ensure continued freedom of their ability to live as they wish.

Surely if they fought for their freedom of religion they would despise secularism; because it is a bargain with the devil; he delivers but with a not inconsiderable payment: the Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist will say, ‘Grant us freedom, and we will pay you its destruction!’

Not if they are well-educated, after which they will know that tolerance and respect are the things that benefit civilization. Without proper education, such people might become the stupid and short-tempered religious zealot, kinds of which usually ending up stabbing my country's Minister of Security.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Mon May 18, 2020 3:51 am

Polding wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

If secularism leads to destruction, I’ll take it. Seeing a paedophilic organisation like the Catholic Church be uprooted branch by branch would grant me far greater pleasure than believing in a nonsensical “God”. If “God” wasn’t a complete sham, there’d be no paedophiles within the Catholic Church - he’d prevent that. He doesn’t, so either he doesn’t exist, or he’s the Devil. There is no middle ground.

On the topic of religion in schools, go ahead - teach about it - but teach it like a history lesson, say what it is, some of its beliefs, some of its mistakes, what people think about it and then move on. To evangelise students with it puts them in harm’s way - (See, the Catholic Church and altar boys)
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 3:52 am

Nakena wrote:
Polding wrote:Surely if they fought for their freedom of religion they would despise secularism; because it is a bargain with the devil; he delivers but with a not inconsiderable payment: the Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist will say, ‘Grant us freedom, and we will pay you its destruction!’

Good because abrahamism ought to be destroyed. Thats the whole idea. I am not even denying it.

It's not an bug. It's a feature.

Buddhism though comes not into play.

Eh, I would rather see the reformation of Abrahamic religion back into good ol’ Levantine Judaism and respectful localised variants.
| STATE OF EUDEA
The Nation  Civil Protection Drugs and Illegal Substances officers publicly congratulated on major drug bust // Eudean black tea named the national hot drink

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 18, 2020 3:52 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Polding wrote:Surely if they fought for their freedom of religion they would despise secularism; because it is a bargain with the devil; he delivers but with a not inconsiderable payment: the Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist will say, ‘Grant us freedom, and we will pay you its destruction!’

Not if they are well-educated, after which they will know that tolerance and respect are the things that benefit civilization. Without proper education, such people might become the stupid and short-tempered religious zealot, kinds of which usually ending up stabbing my country's Minister of Security.

Or, they could recognize that secularism protects their religion from the state. It need not be selfless.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

VW53Aland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby VW53Aland » Mon May 18, 2020 3:52 am

I am not going to make a choice in the poll, but I will answer the question "Should religions be taught in schools?"
My answer is yes. For people to understand each other, it is necessary to know about each other. To know about people's differences and about what they have in common. To know about their demography, their history, their ancestors, their culture, and their surroundings in the widest sense of the word. This also includes their beliefs and their religions.
People need to be informed to have at least a basic understanding of what moves another person, how they became as they have become, why they do what they do.
So I'm not talking about one specific religion being forced onto children, but I am talking about children learning at least a little bit about all kinds of religions, even about science and atheism.
Only with understanding and respecting each other, we will have a slight chance of creating peace in the world.
East Pacifican for life

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 3:53 am

Polding wrote:
Eudea wrote:
Uh huh... what sin? Unless you somehow can see my “soul” and know me better than myself?
And I can see perfectly fine, thank you, though I admittedly sometimes need glasses to see things further afield.

You reveal yourself, like a chicken that has lost its head. You confess atheism, what a terrible blindfold on the narrow tightrope that we walk!

Speaking in a proto-poetic manner isn’t getting your point across and isn’t doing you any favours. Plain English just works fine.
But yeah, good observation: I’m atheist, though it doesn’t form a central piece of my identity.
| STATE OF EUDEA

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 am

Eudea wrote:
Polding wrote:You reveal yourself, like a chicken that has lost its head. You confess atheism, what a terrible blindfold on the narrow tightrope that we walk!

Speaking in a proto-poetic manner isn’t getting your point across and isn’t doing you any favours. Plain English just works fine.
But yeah, good observation: I’m atheist, though it doesn’t form a central piece of my identity.

Imagine thinking that's a secret to be hidden.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Polding
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polding » Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 am

Eudea wrote:
Polding wrote:My soul truly waiteth still upon God; for of Him comets my salvation.

I think you require a different kind of salvation, my friend. Perhaps a little more reading and research could help.

What will reading and research profit you if you lose the soul? Read what is good and holy, not that which will make you haughty. You esteem reading but what if I were to read Siege by James Mason? You will call to me and say, ‘Do not read it because this or that.’
O reader, understand the rankness of your devouring belly; For it is that which you now smell in your putrid [poo]. Therefore, leave off feeding the gluttony of your belly; And in good time let the sober life return to you.

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 am

Kernen wrote:
Eudea wrote:

Imagine thinking that's a secret to be hidden.

If I’m being told nonsense I’d at least like it to be intelligible nonsense.
| STATE OF EUDEA

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 am

Polding wrote:
Eudea wrote:
I think you require a different kind of salvation, my friend. Perhaps a little more reading and research could help.

What will reading and research profit you if you lose the soul? Read what is good and holy, not that which will make you haughty. You esteem reading but what if I were to read Siege by James Mason? You will call to me and say, ‘Do not read it because this or that.’

Read what you want bud. No skin off our noses.
Last edited by Kernen on Mon May 18, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 3:58 am

Polding wrote:
Eudea wrote:

I wouldn’t tell you to not read it. I’d straight say it’s bullshit to me but sure, knock yourself out.
| STATE OF EUDEA

Polding
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polding » Mon May 18, 2020 3:59 am

Eudea wrote:
Polding wrote:You reveal yourself, like a chicken that has lost its head. You confess atheism, what a terrible blindfold on the narrow tightrope that we walk!

Do you not realise this irony? The point?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 am

Polding wrote:
Eudea wrote:

I was today years old when I learned that school secularism can only be supported by atheists. Who, by the way, are also restrained by secularism.
Last edited by Kernen on Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 am

Polding wrote:
Eudea wrote:

All I see is a religious fanatic rambling on about superstitious nonsense. No offence, of course.
| STATE OF EUDEA

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon May 18, 2020 4:04 am

Polding wrote:Do you not realise this irony? The point?

Do you realize how nobody here gives a dime about your words? :twisted:
Last edited by Nakena on Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Polding
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Polding » Mon May 18, 2020 4:08 am

Eudea wrote:
Polding wrote:Do you not realise this irony? The point?

All I see is a religious fanatic rambling on about superstitious nonsense. No offence, of course.

I have no point, I am an ass! Beyond the first, it means nothing; I am dumb! You say that my posts are rambling, superstitious nonsense. It is a correct observation, for the most part, but ironic: all that you have uttered in this thread is nonsense too. You earnestly, like a dog, argue with me and others on an internet forum, extolling yourself as well-read like a peacock, yet you’ve achieved nothing and I have your attention; I am a troll!

I could entertain you by replying cohesively, but that’d be beside the point. Fool! Fool! Fool!
Last edited by Polding on Mon May 18, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Mon May 18, 2020 4:08 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:Not if they are well-educated, after which they will know that tolerance and respect are the things that benefit civilization. Without proper education, such people might become the stupid and short-tempered religious zealot, kinds of which usually ending up stabbing my country's Minister of Security.

Or, they could recognize that secularism protects their religion from the state. It need not be selfless.

Depend on the definition of 'protect'. For the majority of us, it meant "protect any religion from being quashed by the state". For him, maybe "greatly support a very specific strain of a specific religion using taxpayer's money at the expense of the rest of the non-Catholic majority whose belief is quashed by government power."
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

New Jewlan
Attaché

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jewlan » Mon May 18, 2020 4:09 am

The New Jewlan missionaries of the One True Faith would be happy to evangelise schools everywhere :-)
Do not click this spoiler!
Pro: Catholicism, Israel, Pro-Life, Nuclear Family, Black Humour, Cultural appropriation, Reggae, Foreign Films, Languages, Conservativism, History of English, Blondes, Bob Ross, Film History, Obscure Wiki pages, Black Ops 1, 90s DNB, TV, Alternative moon landing hypothesis, Surreal Films, Young Earth Creationism, Globe-earth theory, Flat-earth theory, Non-Blondes, British Soap Operas, Govt., Military, Free Speech

Anti: False Religions, Globalism, Communism, Govt., Military, Wrongthink, "Social" Media, Mobile gaming, Feminism, Racism, Terrorism, Climate Alarmism, The Enlightenment, Big Bang, Evolution, Atomisation of Society, Modernism, NASA, Revisionism, Americanisms, Nazism, Anti-Semitism, Revolution, Big Tech, ACAB, Anthropogenic CLIEmate Change

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 4:11 am

Polding wrote:
Eudea wrote:

I have no point, I am an ass! Beyond the first, it means nothing; I am dumb! You say that my posts are rambling, superstitious nonsense. It is a correct observation, for the most part, but ironic: all that you have uttered in this thread is nonsense too. You earnestly, like a dog, argue with me and others on an internet forum, extolling yourself as well-read like a peacock, yet you’ve achieved nothing and I have your attention; I am a troll!

I could entertain you by replying cohesively, but that’d be beside the point. Fool! Fool! Fool!

Cool beans.
| STATE OF EUDEA

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 4:11 am

New Jewlan wrote:The New Jewlan missionaries of the One True Faith would be happy to evangelise schools everywhere :-)

NSG is out of character, not in character.
| STATE OF EUDEA

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 4:13 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Or, they could recognize that secularism protects their religion from the state. It need not be selfless.

Depend on the definition of 'protect'. For the majority of us, it meant "protect any religion from being quashed by the state". For him, maybe "greatly support a very specific strain of a specific religion using taxpayer's money at the expense of the rest of the non-Catholic majority whose belief is quashed by government power."

I personally see it more as protecting the citizenry and the state from religious fanaticism infesting government policy.
| STATE OF EUDEA

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General