NATION

PASSWORD

Testament (FT, Invite Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Eden Colonial Council
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Testament (FT, Invite Only)

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Sat May 16, 2020 9:59 pm

IMPERIUM DATABASE - ACCESSING FILE
-
-
-
FILE FOUND: M19261-88B
-
-
-
OBSERVATION LOG OF SCIENCE OFFICER CPT. B. DRISCOLL IN REGARDS TO THE D-1025 SYSTEM
-
-
-
BEGIN LOG
Date: March 18th, 2844

This is entry one of my observation of D-1025, noting the date of discovery and the entry of the system into the Imperial Databanks. D-1025 appears to have a single G-Type star. The star does not appear to have any anomalies from what we can visually observe other then some sort of faint distortion that makes the star appear blurry via conventional telescope lenses. Myself and the rest of the observation team have written this off as possible machine error or some sort of anomaly in the path of the star. We are expected to arrive at a second set of coordinates in seven days from which we will resume our observation of this system in order to have a proper reading. No other details to report. End log.

Date: March 25th, 2844

This is entry two of my observation of D-1025. It appears that this distortion was not due to a passing anomaly but is associated within the system itself. While we remain unsure as to the cause of the distortion within the system we do know that whatever this anomaly is can only be observed within this system and not in any local systems. The team is currently theorizing that an unknown type of solar radiation may be the culprit. I personally am not convinced on that explanation as distortion from solar radiation light years away seems unlikely. I will be requesting the use of long range scanning equipment in order to properly identify the cause of this distortion. No further details to add, end log.

Date: April 8th, 2844

This is entry three of my...interesting...observation of D-1025 which the crew is now referring to as 'the Blur'. Following the used of several high powered sensors on the ship and contacting several nearby observatories to request the use of their equipment as well, myself and my team can say with confidence that this system is unlike any we have seen. All of our equipment is unable to read anything inside the boundaries of the system. Signals, sensors, and waveform blasts all fail to return to the systems on the ship and at partner observatories. D-1025 is either absorbing every signal and scan we send toward it or scattering them. This discovery is unprecedented as this level of disruption to sensors has never been observed for an area of this size. One or two planets sure, but a whole system? The though never crossed my mind until now. If we are able to find out the cause of this 'Blur' the military applications could be incredible. Due to the fact that our sensors cannot give us any details about the system I will be using a high powered telescope I have requisitioned to get a better direct visual observation on the system. With any luck we can find the source of these distortions. End log.

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN LISTED AS CLASSIFIED BY THE IMPERIUM - ALL UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS WILL RESULT IN CRIMINAL CHARGES

Date: April 22nd, 2844

This is my forth, and likely final, entry on D-1025. Following the use of a high powered telescope I was able to make visual observation on D-1025. While much of the distortion remained, I was able to observe what appeared to be celestial bodies, possibly gas giants due to the size of them. It is probably to assume there are possibly exo-planet orbiting them. However, it appears we have a clue as to what may have caused the distortion. Attached in this report is the image taken from our telescope of what appears to be a large structure of some sort at the very edge of the system. I am unable to determine it's composition, but it appears to be mechanical in nature. Due to this I must come to the conclusion that the distortion produced by D-1025 is likely not a natural phenomena, but rather something that is being produced by a civilization inhabiting the system. I am unable to present any more information about this system at this time as I lack the ability to gather information in this scenario. I will be forwarding this report to Commodore Graham to let the higher ups determine what is to be done about this discovery. On a personal note, this discovery disturbs me. The fact that a civilization that we have not yet encountered has the ability to render even military grade sensors useless is concerning to say the least. I am not sure if I may have just opened Pandora's Box upon the Imperium.....

End log....
Last edited by The Eden Colonial Council on Sat May 16, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Sun May 17, 2020 2:48 am

Commodore Michael E. Graham
303rd Task Group
A few thousand miles outside D-1025
April 25th, 2844

A few days after the report, the Task Group was mobilized much closer to the system than previously, with the intent of probing the system hopefully with more success than before. Commodore Graham rubbed his chin, as he overlooked the report. How to respond? This wasn't like anything the Imperium has yet faced. For all they know, what lies beneath could really be anything. For all they know, they found God's box in the Universe, and would get eviscerated if they got close. For all they know, they're trespassing in foreign space. Commodore tapped on his console, calling Driscroll. "Captain, what do you make of this?"
"Well, either one this system is claimed, or two it's long abandoned. You would surely think that if the place wasn't abandoned that there would be some kind of response."
"Doesn't fill me with confidence either way. Hm, have you thought about probing it?"
"Hm. We could certainly send out an unmanned shuttle, try to broadcast a message from it, or something; but chances are we'll lose connection. Or it will be fired upon, but better an unmanned shuttle than a manned destroyer."

Graham much appreciated the Captain's willingness to take a cautious approach. The Battle of Krimem System left him a scarred, and cautious man; his ship was the only one to survive the engagement with the hostile fleet, his ship was the one that survived the odds and left the system vulnerable to the second wave, because he played on the defensive; he knew this was no glass cannon fleet like the others the Imperium had faced. After pondering it for a moment, Graham responded plainly, "Do it."
"Yes, sir."
Driscoll replied. The call immediately ended on that.

Captain Bruce H. Driscoll
303rd Task Group
April 25th, 2844

After the call, Driscoll would immediately and directly contact his lower chain; informing them to mobilize a shuttle. Immediately, a relatively small, unarmed shuttle would be mobilized; The flight deck would open up and a single, bulky shuttle would emerge from the research ship. It would move relatively quickly into the solar system. The crew would be watching closely to see if they lose connection; whether or not they would is contingent on what they will do next. Until then, the whole task group was watching. The message that the shuttle would be broadcasting would be two-fold; on one hand, it would request permission to enter the system, and on the other hand would carry an Arecibo-message with it; containing the basic information about humanity.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Sun May 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Edge of System D-1025

As the 303rd's unmanned shuttle nears the edge of the system the feed back to the fleet begins to see some deterioration, but the shuttle still continues to transmit. As the craft enters the system there is a sharp decrease in feed quality as sensors pick up fewer and fewer signals from the shuttle. Even the craft's automated message was beginning to sound distorted. As the craft reaches the 5 kilometer mark inside the system the deterioration increase even more and the shuttle's operator within the fleet completely loses control of all navigation systems, forcing the craft to switch to an automatic pilot system. At 10 kilometers the ship stops transmitting all readings and the only contact the 303rd has with the shuttle is via a high powered telescope and the almost unreadable request for entry the shuttle was still broadcasting. At 15 kilometers all electronic contact with the shuttle ceased as the fleet was now unable to pick up messages or transmissions from the shuttle. The telescope trained on the craft is now the only way the fleet can confirm the continued operation of the craft. The crew continue to listen for any response to the shuttle's broadcast but instead are met only by silence.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Sun May 17, 2020 1:45 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

"And...We've lost all contact with the shuttle, captain." Spoke the Shuttle Navigator, turning to Captain Driscoll. The Captain twirled his mustache, simply staring out at the telescope. After a moment, he'd turn to his communications officer, "Get the Commodore on the line."
"Right away, sir." The communications officer responded. Soon after, a call would be established between the Captain and the Commodore. "Commodore," Driscoll began, "We've lost all communications with the shuttle, however the shuttle has not been fired upon."
"Well,"
spoke the Commodore, "The fact alone that it wasn't shot at or got eviscerated is just going to have to do. I'll order all ships to advance into the system. Assuming communications are cut off upon entry, I want you to move in on the machinery; see if we can't get them to shut down the jammers or get them to shut it off. Worst case scenario? Fire an EMP at it."
"Understood, sir."
After those two words, the call ended.

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

The Commodore was quick to act. He ordered his ships into a defensive formation; the four Destroyers forming a Backwards, somewhat scattered V formation on the Heavy Cruiser, with the two Frigates moving just in front of the Destroyers. They'd scatter themselves only in terms of up and down, but in a consistent pattern as to suggest they're keeping watch over all sides. They'd only activate their defensive systems; CIWs, missile jammers, and interceptors, and EMPs and the likes;, however would be ordered to utilize only their offensive weaponry if fired upon. They would enter the system, both trying to see if once they enter the system they can regain contact over their shuttle, and also still maintain contact with one another.

The two research ships would make in relatively close to the structure, seeing firstly if they can contact it to begin with. The military ships wouldn't be far behind them; maintaining their defensive formation.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Sun May 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Edge of System D-1025

As the fleet approaches the structure at the edge of the distortion they begin to have sensors fail left and right and communications become somewhat garbled but still comprehensive. Concerningly, this distortion also appeared to be having an effect on their defensive systems as the fleet's interception systems begin being unable to get a lock on targets even within their formation. As the unknown structure finally comes into a proper visual range the 303rd gets their first look at a new civilization. However, it wasn't the look they were expecting. Whatever the structure was, it is long abandoned. Visual reading observe debris fields, melted hull sections, and ruined segments across the structure. When the fleet is finally able to scan the debris with the sensors thanks to a drop in the distortion around the structure they are shocked to find that the ruins resemble an elongated cylinder over sixty kilometers in length and twelve kilometers in diameter. The composition of the structure appears similar in composition to military grade metals used by the Imperium, however, several compounds were unable to be identified via sensors. The most notable find is what appears to be a large number of ruined arrays of some sort surrounding the structure and a massive debris field at one end of the cylinder spanning nearly five kilometers of space. The ruin gives off no energy signatures and if there are any weapon systems still present they appear to be offline.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Sun May 17, 2020 4:23 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

Driscoll rubbed his chin; an intrigued look on his face as he overviews the remnants of what it was they were looking at. "This is...Interesting." He says to himself. It would become abundantly clear at this point that this wasn't necessarily the source of the jammers, but was apparently given some exemption from the jammers. "What if..." he began to say to himself, as he contacted another lower officer, giving him his orders, "Mobilize SQ-1 to head for the flight deck; get them aboard a transport aircraft and prep for a sweep of the cylinder. Check it inside and out."
"Yes sir."
The officer replied. Driscoll would proceed to contact the Commodore.

Following the discussion with the commodore and the movement of ships into more preferable positions, the second research ship would be ordered to turn itself towards the celestial bodies; it would first try its sensors one more time, being positioned close to the structure as well as being in the system itself; doing this less so out of expecting it to work, more so out of trying to understand the properties of this distortion. Assuming it fails, which would be assumed so likely, they'd adjust their telescope to get a better look at the celestial bodies.

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

"Sir, the distortion's bugging out our interceptors." Spoke an officer to Graham worriedly, overlooking a console trying to figure out what was wrong with it.
"Set them to manual. That's the best we can do for now." Graham responded, maintaining his tone. "Worst comes to worst, we can rely on our Frigates and CIWs."
"Yes sir." responded the officer.

Shortly after, the Commodore would receive Captain Driscoll's call. He'd answer. "Sir," Driscoll began, "I can confirm the structure is not the source of the jammer. I repeat, it is not the source of the jammer. We have noted however that it seems to be exempt from the same troubles." Graham nods his head, "Right. We'll position ourselves defensive around the structure while you research it. For now, what about your shuttle?"
"Understood. It would be a big help if you could bring it back over within range, we've only got one more of those."
"I'll kite it back over. Until then, I need you to figure out where the jammer could be coming from. I don't expect this to work but you could try checking those planets again now that we're closer and the jammers seem to be less prevalent around the structure."
"Understood, sir."
The call ended on that note.

The Commodore ordered the ships to take up positions around the structure; the destroyers taking up a square formation around the structure, the heavy cruiser taking an upper position and the frigates a front and back. A single, small manned shuttle-sized ship would be mobilized to draw the shuttle back in range of the Captain's research ship. It would get in somewhat close to the shuttle, and offer a low-energy tractor beam; not so much pulling the ship effectively as it did just kite the unmanned shuttle into following it for awhile; it kept on this long enough for it to reach past the effectively jamming mark and allow the research ship to safely be returned control and directed back into the ship.

Sergeant Uriel R. Martin
303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

"Get your gear together, we're up." Shouted Sergeant Martin to his squad. His squad would consist of eight men; Lance Corporal Mervyn Nagel, Private First Class Carter Delaney, Private Otis Mac Reachtain, Private Andrew Gosselin, Private First Class Ralph Acquarone, Corporal Delano Quick, Private Lewis Mason, and himself. They would all be brandishing relatively the same weapon. Knowing their purpose as being close quarters, they would come preparing largely with very compact, almost blaster-like weapons, brandishing high rate of fire Personal Defense Weapons, along with a couple of projectile Shotguns, loaded with slugs. With them they carry an assortment of equipment meant for accessibility purposes and other defensive purposes; EMP grenades, plasma tools, jetpacks to control their direction in space, and explosive charges. They'd be wearing a dark greyish set of body armor, made from a mix between titanium and light composites, and reflective film; designed to be a compromise to protect the wearers from explosives, small arms and energy weapons. Underneath would be a body suit containing a bodysuit, meant to help further dissipate heat and offer a final layer of small-arms protection. The helmet itself would be made from titanium, and contain a built-in headset and radio, displayed visor, notifying the soldiers of their current objectives, squad status, armor condition and other immediately important information. As well, they'd carry with them about two hours worth of oxygen.

The soldiers would load into their dropship, making way for the large structure, searching for a decent point of entry and would prep to enter the structure.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Sun May 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Unknown Structure, A few thousand miles outside D-1025

As the research vessel adjusted its heading to one of the celestial bodies they observed before entering the system it once again attempts to use its sensors to collect data on the object. Unsurprisingly, the sensors are unable to pick up any data further then twenty kilometers from the ship. Captain Driscoll is forced to rely on the vessel's on board telescope and make visual observations of the system, starting with the large observed celestial body. The blurred image is much cleared then it was a few light years away from the system, but the distortion is still present. The telescope confirms that the object is a type of gas giant via the size of the celestial object, though what the planet's composition is cannot be determined. Curiously, it appears that the planet has something surround it, though any details about this faint object are obstructed by the anomaly.

As the Captain continues his observations, Sergeant Martin's team begin probing the ruined cylinder looking for a way inside. Halfway down the hull they come across a massive breech in the hull and are able to take a look inside the structure. To their surprise the inner walls appear to have buildings, parks, and roads built perpendicular to the walls of the cylinder. Almost all of these buildings are destroyed, damaged, or warped beyond recognition. There also appears to be a large central shaft that is shattered in multiple places with arrays attached to it. The last observation martin's team can see is a series of three towers coming up from the walls of the ruin and meeting up to where the shattered central shaft is located, merging into some sort of structure in the center.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Sun May 17, 2020 7:17 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

Driscoll would adjust himself in his chair, pondering for a moment their next move. There's no way he can find out what that ring is without getting in close; as it currently stands, he'll need to wait for the fireteam to finish their search before moving up, if they're to keep the whole fleet together. Alternatively, he could always send the second research ship up to search with most of the fleet with it. He'd contact Graham once again, to discuss their next move. He'd start the conversation with, "There's something surrounding that gas giant, sir. I'm all tied up searching this structure. Uh, would it be too risky to break up the fleet?" Commodore Graham responds, "We've been out here a good while now and nothing has yet sprung up and attacked us. I suppose splintering off isn't too much a risk."
"The sooner we figure out what's going on here the better."

In the mean time, Driscoll would cycle between radar sensory and light sensory, trying to see if the jamming works on both. Radar may be able to see further more clearly than light, but given it seemingly distorts radar, it really is his only other immediate chance at getting past the existing issue of not being able to use sensors. "If this works, after a month of radar failing and not trying alternatives, I'm going to be pissed." Driscoll would say to himself.

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

Graham would order that a single destroyer and a single frigate stayed with Driscoll's research ship, while the second research ship, the other three destroyers, the heavy cruiser and the last frigate would go with the Commodore. They'd maintain a mostly defensive formation; the frigate would take point, one destroyer would form up around the top, two below, and with the heavy cruiser in the middle. The research ship would follow very closely behind. They'd approach the gas giant, trying to launch an onset of radio messages;. in the object's general direction; particularly basic information about the human race and a simple request to hold their fire.

Sergeant Uriel R. Martin
303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

Alright, Nagel, Delaney, form FT-1 on me. The rest of you, form FT-2." Spoke Martin, glaring into the structure. "FT-1 is gonna head up and check out those towers. I want FT-2 to explore the city a little bit; give the architecture a look, record anything that seems interesting, and watch for contacts. Y'never know what could be out here. Maintain constant radio contact. Understood?"
"Yes sergeant." Spoke the squad members. "Quick, you're in charge of FT-2. Get on it." Spoke Martin.
"Right on it, sarge." Replied Quick, motioning his men to move down on the street level, utilizing their jetpacks to control their movements. Martin would lead his men up the tower and begin exploring the upper areas.

The two Fireteams would seem to take something of a carefully spread out formations while doing this, as to avoid being clustered together; decreasing the effectiveness of suppressive security measures or explosives.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Sun May 17, 2020 8:00 pm

A few thousand miles outside D-1025, Driscoll's Ship

As the Captain switches from conventional radar and sensor systems to laser based ones he begins to examine the equipment's readings. To his surprise, the range of the sensors increases substantially to 30 kilometers using the laser detection systems. There is also sporadic readings at ranges up to 50 kilometers, but the reading are strange. Some systems are unable to read anything past 41 kilometers on one side of the vessel while the sensors on the opposite side reach 51 kilometers out. Its an improvement for sure, but not to the extent the Captain had been hoping for.

Graham's Task Force En-Route Unknown Gas Giant

As the bulk of the 303rd begins to make their way toward the gas giant at the outskirts of the system they soon detect a small object in the path of the fleet around two million kilometers away from the gas giant. The strange looking object is about a hundred meters tall and is spherical with a cylinder down the middle and emits a low intensity white light from its center. The ship's sensors begin to scan the object once in range and determine the object to be active, but unmanned. There is no detectable signals coming from the object and it appears to be unarmed.

Martin's Team Inside the Structure
As FT-1 begins to make their way up toward the towers they begin to notice scorch marks on the tower exterior as well as several melted and buckled section. There is also a substantial decrease in the distortion now to the point where conventional communications have nearly no distortion. As they reach the tower they find a open segment of the hull and enter it. The construction seems more for utility use with pipes and wiring strewn across the interior hallways. All internal lighting system appear to be down and what appears to be terminals on the wall have been damaged beyond repair. At the end of the hallway they have entered appears to be an elevator shaft of some sorts that offers a direct shot to what appears to be the central shaft. The only odd thing about the interior is that the markings on the wall and piping seems to look oddly similar to the Imperial language.

In the city the FT-2 team finds similar marking but other then that the similarities end. The area appeared to not only be a city but appeared to once house artificial terrain as well. Artificial hills and valleys carve their way through the city and the husks of what looks like trees dot the landscape. As for the city itself, the building appear to be vertical skyscrapers with glass and steel being the primary materials used with a mix of graphene being detected, through most of the buildings are so damaged it is difficult to determine a construction method or architectural pattern. The team also begins to explore what appears to be a small port district and notices a change from an urban sprawl to almost something similar to a villa with large squares and large building that resemble the churches found in the Imperium, though none of the religious symbols of the Imperium are spotted either within them or on them. Just as the team is about to explore a third portion of the city that appeared to once be some sort of industrial area they begin to notice a sharp increase in communication distortion coming from the region.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Mon May 18, 2020 12:26 am

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

Driscoll sighs. On one hand he couldn't be angry, knowing that his honor had been saved. Had that of worked, he just would have wasted a month of trying to figure out what was going on, not knowing the solution was so simple. On the other hand, he was annoyed, realizing there wasn't really much hope in getting past the distortion. He'd communicate this over to the other research ship, headed by Captain Brant. Until then, there was little else he could find to immediately do, aside from wait and listen in on his team inside of the structure.

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

"The fuck-" Murmured Captain Arthur Brant, head of the second research ship on this expedition, upon seeing the glowing object. The fleet would stop infront of the object, the Captain would quickly call Commodore Graham to discuss how they should approach. "Commodore," Brant began, "Y'think it's safe?"
"Well," Graham responded, "It's not like it could be a bomb or something, otherwise it's not likely gonna be so obvious. Might just be a piece of debris for all we know."
"Right. Lemme, go ahead and grab it, then. I'd like to give us an idea of what we're walking ourselves into."

The same shuttle that escorted the shuttle back to Driscoll's ship would be deployed once again, this time he utilizes his tractor beam to kite the object closer to the ship. Once close enough, it would be lured in somewhat close to the ship, effectively secured into a position where a science team would be dispatched to analyze it. In the mean time, Brant would use his much closer distance to observe the giant near them, seeing if there's any additional details that they could perhaps analyze, taking advantage of the much closer distance compared to Driscoll. He'd adjust his telescope, looking through it and at the celestial body.

Sergeant Uriel R. Martin & Corporal Delano T. Quick
303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

Fireteam 1:
Martin and his fireteam is in total awe of everything they saw thus far on their trip throughout the upper levels, and would enjoy the lower levels of distortion. But what would really catch them off guard is the language. Upon seeing it, Martin would stop his fireteam. "Is that...English?" He says out loud, sounding almost awestruck. "Well, no but it sure as Hell looks like it." Replied Delaney, "Looks like it could be...Err, I'm no linguist but I can definitely tell you it isn't English. Look at the way they put the letters together."
"No, but it's definitely a human language." Martin interjected. "I can't really believe this to be just a coincidence that the lettering would be so similar, and...Sound so similar to English either. Anyways, enough of that. Let's just get this shaft cleared." They'd proceed down the shaft, using their jetpacks to boost them in the desired direction. As they moved through, Nagel would radio Driscoll's research ship their findings thus far, taking advantage of the low distortion.

Fireteam 2:
"This place gives me the fuckin' creeps." Mason commented as they walk through the city section, prior to reaching the industrial area. "We're getting some communication distortion. Think it could have anything to do with how deep we're getting?" Mac Reachtain piped up.
"Unlikely," Interjected Quick. "I really don't trust this place. Here's what I want us to do; Mason, Acquarone, sit tight, scan this area. Goesselin, Mac Reachtain, with me. We're gonna see if we can't find what's causing the distortion."
"Gotcha." Acquarone replied. The three would proceed through the industrial district, following mainly in the direction that offers the most distortion; they'd maintain a somewhat spaced out formation, maintaining their weapons at the ready should they run into something funky. In the mean time, Mason would give a report back to Driscoll's research ship through the radio.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Mon May 18, 2020 7:53 am

Graham's Task Force En-Route Unknown Gas Giant

As the shuttle begins to kite the object over to the ship, the object's light color suddenly turns to red and there is a sudden low flash from the object. The object emits a faint signal of sorts but no other actions are taken. The signal it emits was barley readable and as such no one can determine what the signal's intent was or where it was intended to go. RCS plumes erupt from the object as it begins to try and maintain its position.

Interior of the Unknown Structure

As Martin and his team proceed down the shaft they begin to see more and more damage to the structure. It seemed as they go deeper into the hull the more broken consoles, busted pipes, and warped steel they encountered. The walls of the elevator shaft still had the markings on them as they ventured downward and some of the walls had opening that appeared to be doors at some point. With a soft thud Martin and his team reach the bottom of the shaft to find pitch black darkness and an increase in distortion levels. The opening of what was once a doorway leads to a hallway that seems to be in better condition then anything else they have observed so far. None of the lights were on and it appeared that the hallways did have some sort of damage from an electrical surge and there was some small holes strewn on some of the walls. Both the left and right pathways did not appear to offer any advantage over the other.

Meanwhile Mason's team advanced toward the new spike in distortion levels in the industrial zone. As they continue to venture inside the district, Mason notices that some of the industrial builds seem to have a different look compared to the rest of the buildings surrounding the zone, almost as if they had different materials and parts built onto them. More and more of these makeshift structures came into view as the Mason pressed forward. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted something, a shape that didn't belong. Underneath one of the wrecked building in a small crater was something that he couldn't identify. It almost looked like a small building was protruding from the crater that was perched on another longer structure. Mason looks at his sensor as he points it toward the structure and see another spike in the distortion levels.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Mon May 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Commodore Michael E. Graham & Captain Arthur Brant
303rd Task Group
2 Million km away from Celestial Body
April 23rd, 2844

"Oh, oh!" The Shuttle pilot freaked out, maintaining his distance as he tugged it along. The red flashing alone would indicate at least to him and Brant that keeping it away from the ship would probably be preferable; not showing much trust after the abrupt color change. Nonetheless, the transmission that did reach them, despite being barely readable would still be heavily and tirelessly analyzed by the team. They'd focus less-so on what it says, given it seems almost like a lost cause, and more so on what it sounds like, seeing if there's literally anything they could pick up linguistically; any words that they may be able to pick up on, or any sort of alphabetical consistency; not really having much expectation of success, more so just doing it out of trying to gather as much information as humanly possible. Otherwise, the shuttle overlooks the object, trying to understand what it's made of, trying to understand the source of the abrupt light change, playing around with the tract beam, turning it off for a short period and turning it back on to see if the object does anything else.

303rd Task Group
Strange structure.
April 23rd, 2844

Fireteam 1:
Encountering the two directions, the three quickly and aggressively rush out of the shaft with their weapons at the ready; Delaney checking left, Nagel right, and Martin the roofs and floors. Relatively quickly they'd note that it's all clear. They'd stop for a minute, looking between the two respective sides. "Sweep the right first." Ordered Martin. The three would continue on, their weapons at the ready and helmet flashlights on; waving their PDWs around every corner or room they checked; always having one man aiming in each direction, every area they searched would be done cautiously but relatively quickly.

Fireteam 2:
"Alright," Quick spoke, "We dunno if we're walking towards a highly irradiated piece of machinery, or if we happened to find the EMP device giving us all this trouble. But, there's only one way to find out." The three would close in on the large and unusual object; they'd keep their weapons ready as they'd approach it. They'd turn on their flashlights, and try to transmit video feed of the object they were seeing; despite the heavy distortion. "Uh…Captain? I'm not sure what we ran into but it may be the source of all our problems." Spoke Gosselin, backing up a considerable distance as to try and lessen the distortion.
"Go ahead, Private." Replied Driscoll, in a curious tone. He'd be wondering why the radios would seem so heavily distorted, briefly looking around for any problems that may indicate it's the fault of the ship.
"I'll send you the video feed in a bit, uh...Assuming you can see anything. Oh, for fucks-…this cheap ass-!" The following sentence would come with a flurry of cursing and vulgarities as he gets audibly annoyed with the quality of the video feed. Truly, a shining example of the peak of professionality and piety from the Imperium.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Two Million Kilometers Away from Gas Giant

As the analysts try and decipher the code they cannot find anything about the signal other then it appears to be a repeating pattern of some sort. What the pattern is or if it is even a language remains unknown due to the distortion. Meanwhile the team outside analyzing the object itself find that even though it is rather large the machinery itself seems rather simple. It is not heavily armored and lacks any weapons, only a small solar generator and whatever was transmitting the signal could be detected. The only thing that seemed different about the object is upon heavy scanning there appeared to be concentrated levels of distortion inside the frame that was behind the glowing sections of the object.

However, before any further examination can be done, the fleet's telescope that is still pointed at the gas giant notices something. A collection of objects that were not there before have come into view and as the telescope continues to focus on them the objects get larger. Finally, when the objects come with one hundred kilometers the observation crew confirms twelve ships of unknown classes are on an intercept course with the ship. Moments later there is a garbled transmission sent to the fleet, but due to the distortion nothing can be made out. The message continues to repeat as the unknown fleet closes in.

Inside the Structure

As Martin and his team continue to clear the rooms at the bottom of the elevator shaft they come across an intact segment, untouched by whatever chaos the structure had seen. Inside the segment is an intact room which appeared to be shielded better then the others, indicating it may have been some sort of panic room. The door is sealed shut and the console next to it appears operable but lacks power. The door is at least a foot thick of a metal compound that scanners are unable to identify and the hinges appear to be on the inside of the frame away from the team.

Meanwhile, Driscoll approached the unknown object, monitoring his sensors as he did so. Sure enough the closer he got the more the distortion levels rose. As he prepares to get within a hundred meters of the object he notices something on the ground. Scrape marks that appear to be charred by something are leading toward the object, as if it was dragged beneath the structure. As Driscoll looks at the marks something about the scorching is familiar to him. he had seen scorching of this kind before, dozens of times in fact it almost looked exactly like....

....landing nozzles for drop ships.

Before Driscoll can react the object under the collapsed building lights up and suddenly lifts off the ground. Debris rains down from the object and a sudden plume of flames shoots out the rear of it. This wasn't a building, it was a ship, and a big one at that at least three hundred meters. The ship soars over Driscoll's head and begins to accelerate toward the hole in the hull. Driscoll is forced to take cover to prevent himself from being blasted by the heat or thrown into space, preventing him from getting any more then a glance at the sip. However, in that glance he makes out a single thing: a massive cannon strapped on the bottom of the ship.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Mon May 18, 2020 11:51 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

"Uh..." Brant lets out, almost in disbelief. "Get me into contact with Graham, now!" He orders, his tone becoming increasingly more distressed. The call would be established very quickly, with Graham already having well in mind what he's going to do. "I know what you're gonna say, don't worry about it." Graham begins. "I just need you to transmit a message."
"What am I to say?"
Brant asked.
"Who we are, and our intentions. We've disabled all sensor-requirements for our weapons should they try and escalate this, but we're hoping it won't come to that. Hopefully they'll make the right decision."
"Understood sir."
The call would end on that note. Immediately, Captain Brant would begin transmitting messages towards the incoming ships. The messages would contain basic information about the human race, and would be very Arecibo-esque in terms of its information, but with obvious 29th century advances and would further contain information about the Home System of Lapus, "New Sol" as with their business in the system, calling it "research and exploration," lastly mentioning that they can't understand what they're saying due to distortion. Whether or not the jammer garbles and distorts their messages, wouldn't matter; it would either tell the incoming ships that their transmissions are being jammed, or it would actually reach them and they'd know their business. At least, hopefully this would be one of their two conclusions.

Otherwise, the ships would maintain formation; the offensive weapon systems would be prepped but offline, whereas the defensive systems would be prepped and online; making clear that their intent is to be non-hostile. The shuttle floating outside would cease analyzing and would push the object away, returning to Brant's research ship. They'd hold position; maintaining a defensive, albeit belligerent position and hope to God that they would get the memo. Graham would take a deep breath, performing a sign of the cross in front of himself, "Christ protect us all." He'd say.

303rd Task Group
Strange structure.
April 23rd, 2844

Fireteam 1:
The team stops at the door, wondering what their next move should be. On one hand, they can try to force it open with plasma tools and enter anyway...And potentially risk killing anyone inside. On the other hand, they could maybe find some way to get the console working...But that would require additional materials from the ship; something they don't immediately have. While they stood, pondering their options, they heard their radio go off, "Sarge, we need you. Outside the industrial district A.S.A.P! We are not alone on this ship, I repeat we are not alone!" It was Mason.
"Shit. Shit!" Martin said to himself, "Report status." Martin said, motioning his men to follow him back to where they came from. They make their way back to where they originally met, then would retrace their steps and follow the same direction that Quick's Fireteam went.
"For now we're a code 100; status is green, but we ran into a fuckin' dropship apparently. Saw it flying around in here, looking like it might be armed."
"Ten-Four. God, what jackass would fly a ship around in here?"
"There's an awful lot of room here in the industrial block, Sarge."
"We'll meet with you shortly."
"Ten-Four. The sooner we rendezvous the sooner we can catch up to em', or get our asses outta here."

Fireteam 2:
"Fuck!" Shouts Quick, as he ducks for cover. Quickly, Gosselin raised his PDW, aiming at the ship but not firing; more so passively watching as it flew by, as Mac Reachtain would rush to help Quick back on his feet. As he regains his footing he orders Gosselin, "Inform Driscoll. Ah, shit. We need to get back with the others. We'll rendezvous and either get the fuck outta here or go after that ship." The men would immediately radio in Mason and let them know that they're coming. Gosselin would radio in Driscoll, notifying them that they encountered a "Xeno ship," and to be on full alert.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Tue May 19, 2020 11:56 am

Two Million Kilometers Away from Gas Giant

As the unknown fleet continues to approach the bulk of the 303rd the signal continues to clear up and when the fleet reaches 40 kilometers away words of some sort can be made out. The language sounds similar to several languages of the Imperium, but none of it can be properly translated. As the fleet comes to the 30 kilometer mark there is a sudden nozzle plume from the ships causing them to stop and hold position. With the unknown fleet now so close Brant is able to make out some of the details on the ships. Eight of the ships appears to be around 200 meters in length with large double barreled gun turrets on each side of the ship and a large number of smaller weapons spread on the dorsal and ventral sides. The ship almost had an elongated look like it was based off the battleships of old. Slots on the bows indicate they may have missile capabilities as well. Positioned behind the cruisers are three large vessels around 200 meters as well but appeared to be much different in shape with two large blocks attached to a central pylon that looked to house the bridge. Each block had a large horizontal double door meaning it likely opened up to a weapons platform or a carrier of some sort. However, what Brant really focused on was the ship in the center. The 400 meter vessel dwarfed anything else in the unknown fleet and was well armed with heavy cannons and missile tubes all over the ship. An arsenal of smaller cannons complimented it as well, indicating a focus on anti-small craft combat. It too looked like some sort of old fashioned battleship with a tower bridge and turreted main guns.

Shortly after the unknown fleet stops Brant observes the movement of the center vessel's primary weapons. The large turrets point toward the fleet and moments later bright lights erupt from their barrels in the form of a energy blast of some sort. The energy from the guns continues in a straight line and arcs just over the bridge of one of the Imperium's cruisers. The rest of the guns in the unknown fleet turn toward the Imperium ships and a second transmission is sent out, much clear then any prior, but still unable to be translated.

Unknown Structure
As Driscoll's fleet prepares for action they pick up the unknown ship on the fleet's sensors as it begins to make its way out of the structure. The fleet also detects smaller targets, missiles on an intercept course from the fleet. However, as the countermeasures prepare to deploy the missiles detonate and the fleet's sensors read a distortion spike and lose any locks they had on the unknown ship. As the ship exits the structure it banks away from Driocoll's forces and begins to make a bead line further into the system. It fires another salvo of missiles behind it which explode shortly after deployment creating more distortion upon detonation.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

Fortunately for Driscoll, their weapon systems had been swapped over to manual and human-calculated responses in advance; sensors were not required for them to shoot back, albeit should he need to their rate of fire would be reduced considerably. However, by the time they managed to calculate their CIWs, the missiles detonated, causing the distortion. "Captain!" Called the Destroyer's ship commander, "Should we pursue?"
"Negative. If they were looking for a fight he would have stayed."
"Understood, Captain."
"Until then, I'm going to recall our men inside the structure and re-attach to Graham."
As soon as the dropship was deployed, and returned with the squad, they would set a course for Graham's fleet; the Frigate taking point and the Destroyer guarding the direction wherein the dropship fled from.

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

On one hand, the fleet would seemingly constantly back up as they began to get close, as to avoid an encirclement; effectively denying them from being capable of doing so. They'd continually back up particularly towards the edge of the system.

Graham wouldn't seem to have shown much of a reaction at all to the shot, as it narrowly misses the ship's bridge. The bridge of each ship is relatively well protected. He'd immediately call Brant, informing him of their next move. "Respond to their transmission; send them our alphabet and pronunciation and don't decrypt any of it. Tell em' that we don't know what they're saying."
"Yes, Commodore. What about the-"
"If they wanted to engage us, they would have hit our bridge. Just focus on doing your part and I'll do mine. And prep for warp, we're leaving. I'll inform Driscoll."
"Yes sir."

The Commodore's ships would promptly activate and transfer power to energy shielding, guaranteeing that should they get shot directly it wouldn't be game over. The ships as well would be in visible range of viewing what their ships looked like; each one would absolutely dwarf the ships surrounding them, with the exception of the Frigate which maybe could be comparable to the three larger ships in the unknown fleet in terms of size, at around 550 meters. The Frigate would appear to carry with it a whole host of defensive weapons and weapons good for close-up, the destroyers would carry with them good weapons for long-range and mid-range combat, mostly missiles, lasers and coil-guns, and the heavy cruiser would seem to carry a well-balanced blend of everything for every range and purpose. All that's clear is that where one ship may seem to be lacking, another compliments it, and that the designs themselves would look similarly very human; maybe not necessarily like old battleships, but they would definitely have a very human aesthetic. The ships would as well activate all weapon systems. The sensor-requirements would be long-been disabled; switched out for non-sensory ways of aiming and manual firing. At the same time, they would begin passively moving away from the ships; as to imply that they're leaving. A transmission would be sent to Driscoll's ships; telling them to regroup and prep for warp.

Should another shot be fired towards them, a powerful, EMP device would be fired from the Heavy Cruiser. Should they, and only should they be fired upon, Coil guns taking aims at the necks of the ship bridge's, and CIWs prepped to respond to any hails of missiles coming their way. The best part about it would be that the weapon systems would have all been well-adjusted by this point; the sensory systems replaced with more traditional ways of aiming and firing, and everything manualized; all hands are already on station. This would leave them in a great spot should they're fired upon in their attempts to passively leave. However; until they're fired upon, they wouldn't begin taking aim; however it's abundantly clear that they're in a position to defend themselves.

Promptly, Brant would get to work on that. He would transmit another message to the fleet surrounding them; informing them once again that they can't understand them. Following this, a large, coded message of their alphabet and its pronunciations and word examples are be offered. As well, they'd offer the human symbol for "peace," following it a test-tube symbol as to imply "research" and a symbol resembling an old admiral cap, meant to resemble "exploration" as though to imply they're non-hostile, and that they're just there for research and exploration. The final symbol that would be offered is a white flag and an arrow pointing out of a door, as to imply that they're leaving the system. In turn, the translation team would quickly begin piecing together the code they received; the fact alone that it was clear and was based off of Earth languages made their job light-years easier. The difficult part would be piecing together what languages; they could definitely tell that they're major human languages. That in of itself would tell them what track to go on in their process of trying to decrypt and understand their language. They'd start on the path of looking for alphabetical consistency in the lettering, before moving on to other things related.

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

The team regroups at around the industrial district. They immediately make way back where they first entered, where a dropship would be deployed to pick them up. The dropship would show up shortly after, allowing them to re-enter and make way back to Driscoll's research ship. It was probably for the best; their oxygen supply would be nearly depleted by this point after the amount they've explored. Either way, they'd be coming back with a story to tell.
Last edited by Imperium of Lapus on Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Tue May 19, 2020 4:21 pm

2 Million Kilometers Away From Gas Giant

As the fleet prepared to spool up their warp drive they noticed something odd. As the drive spooled they were not charging up, but rather they were sapping power from the ship itself. In addition, the transferred power to the shields began to be sapped as well and the stronger the shield became the more energy was sapped. The shields themselves began to flicker in and out as well, sending both their control and modulation system haywire. The entire fleet's power grid was thrown into disarray as the systems mean to make the ship's battle ready were on the verge of disabling them. While all this was going on Brant's messages were being sent to the fleet, or rather they were hoping it was through all this distortion still plaguing the comms systems. This didn't last long as the communications systems began to fail as the ship's power grid began to tear itself apart between the FTL drives of the ship and the shield systems.

Outside the unknown fleet held position and appeared to be observing the situation. Suddenly another signal was broadcast over the comms, however, this time it appeared to be a female voice, and she sounded very distressed. Once again, the fleet could not understand what the voice was saying but it seemed to have an urgency as if she was telling them to do something.

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Tue May 19, 2020 4:54 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

"The Hell-" Graham looked around, trying to figure out what's going on. "Sir, we received another transmission!" A communications officer informed Graham via call.
"Any clue what it says?"
"No, but-"
"Then why are you telling me this?"
"Sounded like a distressed tone, almost as though they were telling us to do something."
Graham quickly put two and two together; the abrupt energy sapping after transferring energy to the shields and the warp drive, the distressed voice? Graham quickly realized that it's unlikely he's in as big of a pickle as initially thought. He'd follow up by ordering his ships to cancel the warp drive, frantically, and to quit the energy shielding process. Luckily, Lapian ships focus more on armor than they do shielding, meaning the energy shields wouldn't be necessarily a main focus. An team of engineers between each ship were dispatched to figure out what was wrong, or rather what went wrong and to try and stabilize the situation. On the other hand, it also suggested that maybe the unknown fleet doesn't have mal intent; otherwise they wouldn't have said anything to them.

In the mean time, this didn't stop the science team from taking the next transmission as a case study; comparing it to the previous messages that they received to help compliment their attempts to figuring out their language. They'd keep trying to send messages, trying to make it clear that they're confused as to what it is they're trying to tell them; with each time sending an experimental message to them, "Yes or no, do you understand us?" In their language. Whether or not any of them would be accurate to their language would be unknown, but it would be made relatively clear to the unknowns that they can't understand them due to linguistical differences and are trying to interpret them.

Graham, being the cautious man that he is, ordered each captain and commander to prep evac pods should the worst happen, and prepare to activate secondary engines should the primary ones fail. The secondary engines would less-so be utilized as a means to get the ship up and running again, more so as a means to prevent air from escaping the ship and maintain other important lifesupport systems, and allow for emergency lights and escape pods to be useable.

Luckily, Driscoll and his two other ships would have just began to arrive, and hadn't yet seen the need to waste their energy on shield sappers nor did they really begin the warp drive either. They'd passively watch from a distance as to what's going on. Driscoll's ship would try to directly contact the unknown's ships; offering a call with them whilst at the same time trying to regain contact with Graham's ship.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Tue May 19, 2020 5:16 pm

As the ships switch to emergency measures, the unknown fleet lowers its gun turrets and loosens its formation, but still holds at the 30 kilometer mark. Whatever is going on it is clear the vessels no longer intend on conducting combat. The Imperial Engineers have not had the same fortune as their examinations of both the engine and shield systems shows all systems showing as nominal and operating in the green. Whatever issues were causing the collapse of the shields and engine failures it was not due to mechanical of software error.

Meanwhile Brant and team continued to send message after message to the unknown fleet. After the first four messages were sent, they started to receive replies, but none that made any sense. After an hour of going back and forth the system was sent a very large files. Upon opening it 34 symbols appeared on the screen along with 34 accompanying audio files. Following this ten more packets of information were sent, all containing a number of symbols and audio files as well. After another hour of trading messages a single message was sent. While it was short and by far the smallest file they had received it was a turning point.

"Welcome to Eden."

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

"Eden?" Spoke a Communication's officer. "Like, in Genesis?" His expression both facial and tone would turn to that of mixed emotions; mostly of intrigue and excitement but also somewhat of shock. Had they ran into other humans? He'd quickly contact Brant. "Sir, we've decoded one of their short transmissions to us. Says, 'Welcome to Eden.'"
"They said what? I need to contact Graham."
Brant would quickly call Graham around the same time contact was re-established between Graham and Driscoll. "Good news, we've made progress on figuring out their language. They sent us a message, 'Welcome to Eden.'

Between hearing the news, and the seeming loosening of formation by the unknown's ships, Graham would breathe a sigh of relief, letting off some tension and smiling a little. "They said what?"
"Welcome to Eden."
"About how much has our scientists figured out?"
"Well, judging by their ship design, their voice and by their language, we're assuming they're human, or at least somehow related to us."
"Eden is something that could only be known by Humans. Or maybe one of the races we've conquered."
"Mhm. As with the language itself, we found that they largely resemble many of the major languages on Earth, probably why we're able to figure out...Literally anything so quickly. They've also sent us large packets of information that we're going to be reviewing. Hopefully it will shed more light on their language and make communications easier."

With that, the science crew would quickly begin reviewing every single packet of information sent to them, and promptly would be returning packets of information to the ships as well; mostly more messages and audio files. They'd add every bit of message, every audio file to the pile as they try and decipher their language to make communications progressively more plausible; with every message and audio file, it becomes that much easier for them to put together and formulate sentences that they can both understand. They'd start off with first stating "We don't know your language well." They'd follow this asking a flurry a flurry of simple questions; first in their own language then in theirs; they'd "Are you human?" "What is Eden?" "Are you from Earth?" Before moving on to more intermediate questions, "What happened to the station?" "What is causing the distortion?" And lastly, "Can you communicate directly?"

After harshly reviewing the damages done to their systems, they'd finally be able to report back to Graham, letting him know of the damages. "We've assessed the damages, sir. It's coming up as green but I wouldn't trust it."
"Why not?"
"Trust me, I've seen stuff like this happen a thousand times. We'll get back to you after we run a full diagnostic and see what needs fixing. A deep, manual look into the matter should tell us all we need. All I know is it won't be severe as long as it's addressed. For future reference, when we leave make sure we're outside of jammer's range."
"Understood. Get to it."

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 pm

As the science team pieces together more of the unknown language they begin to be able to send more questions to the opposing fleet. Apparently, the other fleet had done the same as shortly after the messages are sent there is about a half hour delay between responses with the message always starting out with the words 'Rough Translation'. However, unlike the questions the responses were usually short and to the point.

Are you human? - "Yes"
What is Eden? - "System"
Are you from Earth? - "Origin"
What happened to the station? - "Specify"
What is causing the distortion? - "Specify"
Can you communicate directly? - "If Translator"

The only received question from the fleet was a simple one similar to the responses: "Purpose?"

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm

303rd Task Group
April 23rd, 2844

The fleet seemingly became more relaxed as both sides began communicating. The science team receives the messages, and would get to work on their responses. Perhaps the thing that left them most excited is the fact that they're communicating with not just any species; but fellow humans. It's no secret for any civilization that's encountered the Imperium that they do hold a very strong xenophobic prejudice against non-human races, due to their national upbringing and general outlook on war. Contacting fellow humans was perhaps the best thing that could happen. This alone filled everyone with confidence. It clearly left them in a massive shift of moods from frantically preparing for an engagement; ready to die in the middle of nowhere, to excitement at the discovery that they aren't alone.

The science communication team would be working tirelessly to read over, translate messages and respond. As it stands, they'd quickly respond to each of the three messages sent to them before really anything else, as they start to get a hang of their communication abilities and beginning to understand their language.

What happened to the station? - Specify - "Edge of solar system." *This response would be followed by pictures of the station - this would come also with the video footage of Martin's squad searching the facility*

What is causing the distortion? - Specify - "Sensors distorted. Communications distorted. Could not see system from distance." *Following this would come a set of pictures showing the distortion along with audio files of some of the early communications between Captain Driscoll and Commodore Graham*

Purpose? - "Exploration and Research."

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Wed May 20, 2020 9:08 am

The delay between the message this time was extensive as the Imperium Fleet would have to wait nearly three hours before another broadcast from the 'Eden' fleet. This time to their surprise they revived a much larger message:

I apologize for the long wait you have had between our communications, we have been working with other entities in our solar system and communicating with them to translate your language. Needless to say, we are shocked that how closely it resembles our own and are curious as to why you asked us if we are human, have you met our race before? While I am sure we both have questions I believe a proper introduction is on order. My name is Captain Allison Knight and I am the commanding officer of the ECS Iron Hearth, the flagship of the fleet assembled in front of you. Myself and the assembled fleet here are part of the Eden Vanguard which falls under the oversight of the inter-planetary government I represent the Eden Colonial Council. While I am sure you will have questions about what I have said I will wait to answer them for now.

The Station you have in question is likely the one just on the edge of the system not too far from here called Endevor-2 and the story behind that is a long one but summarized it was part of an experiment to remove what you call the distortion from our space. As you have observed it did not go as planned. As for the distortion itself it is caused by those living within the Eden system. We have not been able to properly translate the details yet but it is indeed man made but not necessarily intentional.

We have answered some of your questions, now please allow us some as well. Who are you? Where are you from? And how do you know of humanity?

Imperium of Lapus
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium of Lapus » Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am

303rd Task Group
Two million KM away from Celestial Body
April 23rd, 2844

After receiving the message, they'd notice the size of the message and figure it was only right to return the favor with a lengthy message of their own. This one, would be much more detailed and match the intricate details of their language, revealing that they had at this point hammered down a lot of important translation issues.

To answer your questions, I am Commodore Michael Emmanuel Graham, and we are the 303rd Task Group of the Imperium of Lapus, a Federal Constitutional Monarchy a great distance away from here. We were sent here on a mission to figure out exactly what the distortion in this system was figure out what happened to Endeavor-2, worried that something much more sinister was ongoing in this system, especially as our current policy revolves around expansion in this direction. We were only able to see anything via more traditional means.

We too were curious as to why your language was similar to us, also as to why your ship designs looked vaguely familiar. To answer two questions in one, as to whether or not we've met the human race before and how we know humanity, we are members of the human race. We had long since thought our colony ships were the only ones to survive and make it anywhere following the Great Exile. We are actually astounded that we have met another nation that is as well inhabited by humans. The language we speak is the old, English language from before the Great Exile. That's probably why it's been so easy for us to translate each other's languages. We picked up on the admixture of different human languages and their dialects, hence why we asked.

We hope we've answered your questions. The only question left I can think of to ask is what your first few transmissions to us said.
Last edited by Imperium of Lapus on Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Eden Colonial Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 am

The reply this time only took a half hour, showing that this vanguard was getting better at translating the language:

Well on behalf of the Council welcome to our space Commodore. I would like to be upfront about expansion into this system as we have no current intentions of ceding our independence to another entity. So long as that is clear we shall continue these talks. As for the distortion we refer to it as EPD or Eden particle Density which is the source of all of the anomalies within our system and sadly we have had as much luck using long range communications and sensors as you have.

We are curious that our first contacts from beyond our system are human, but a bit relived as we share much in common particularly language. As for this Great Exile you speak of, an ancient orbital station called ARK-1 has records of an exodus of sort from another planet roughly 700 years ago but due to data corruption we have never been able to learn more. We would like to discuss our origin later as there are more pressing matters, but you have gather the attention of a number of people.

As for our transmissions, originally we were sent out here to investigate a border violation due to someone tampering with our detection satellites. This region is referred to as the Verden Exclusion Zone and only Vanguard ships are allowed to operate within its space. This order is executed harshly so very few dare to cross the zone's detection grid. When we saw your fleet we didn't consider the possibility that you were from beyond the borders of Eden so we continued to conduct our mission as ordered. We didn't realize who you were until you began to spool up your FTL systems and deploy shields, both of which are usually a death sentence for ships that do so which is a widely known fact in this space. After that you know the rest.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents