NATION

PASSWORD

US States names and shapes: What would you change?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your opinion on US States?

1: They're just fine
19%
2: Some changes could be made
52%
3: They're horrific
18%
4: No opinion/why is this even a matter of discussion?
12%

Total votes : 176

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Kedri wrote:I'd merge Ohio and Michigan into one state and watch them fight each other to the death.

Remember the Toledo War!
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 2:23 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:West Virginia is unambiguously the worst of those states, tho

Atheris wrote:West Virginia is Fake Virginia.

B-but the Blue Ridge Mountains... Shenandoah River...

Virginia has both. Plus, West Virginia should legally be absorbed back into Virginia.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Atheris wrote:

B-but the Blue Ridge Mountains... Shenandoah River...

Virginia has both. Plus, West Virginia should legally be absorbed back into Virginia.

Elaborate. Is there some kind of old law buried under stacks of amendments and court battles that everyone forgot about after they split?
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Atheris wrote:Virginia has both. Plus, West Virginia should legally be absorbed back into Virginia.

Elaborate. Is there some kind of old law buried under stacks of amendments and court battles that everyone forgot about after they split?

Oh, I never said it was legal.

Yet.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri May 15, 2020 5:05 pm

I'd go with @henry88k from TikTok's suggestion, where Rhode Island becomes an island, Connecticut, the spot formerly occupied by Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, flip Vermont and New Hampshire upside down, merge North and South Dakota, partition Indiana between Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Kentucky, make Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands into a state, fix the borders of the square/rectangle states to make fun jigsaw pieces, rename Arkansas to Arkansaw, have Tennessee vore northern Alabama and Mississippi into it, separate the rest of Alabama and Mississippi into a separate country, and make the four largest cities of the USA into separate states.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Atheris wrote:Virginia has both. Plus, West Virginia should legally be absorbed back into Virginia.

As we all know, WV seceded from Virginia during the Civil War. However, this occurred in a session of a legislature-in-exile (essentially) and not from Richmond directly. The law is that a state can secede if it has permission of the state it wants to leave. Some contend that Virginia never technically gave this consent, and so WV is illegal.

I mean this legal issue was settled 150 years ago, but that's as dubious as WV's existence gets.
Last edited by Valrifell on Fri May 15, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 5:13 pm

Valrifell wrote:

As we all know, WV seceded from Virginia during the Civil War. However, this occurred in a session of a legislature-in-exile (essentially) and not from Richmond directly. The law is that a state can secede if it has permission of the state it wants to leave. Some contend that Virginia never technically gave this consent, and so WV is illegal.

I mean this legal issue was settled 150 years ago, but that's as dubious as WV's existence gets.

Oh, honestly, I'm just joking around. I'm fine with Kanawha remaining an independent state, even if the borders don't look as nice.
#FreeNSGRojava

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Atheris wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Oh, honestly, I'm just joking around. I'm fine with Kanawha remaining an independent state, even if the borders don't look as nice.

Honestly I don't understand the minimalist obsession with straight-line borders, those are so ugly. We need more river borders, dammit.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri May 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Atheris wrote:Oh, honestly, I'm just joking around. I'm fine with Kanawha remaining an independent state, even if the borders don't look as nice.

Honestly I don't understand the minimalist obsession with straight-line borders, those are so ugly. We need more river borders, dammit.

Ideally borders that never shift, if only because the best effects are places where one state extends across the river a la Carter Lake because that's where the river used to flow. Bonus points if it leads to beautiful bordergore.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Atheris wrote:Oh, honestly, I'm just joking around. I'm fine with Kanawha remaining an independent state, even if the borders don't look as nice.

What? I just like Virthiccia.
#FreeNSGRojava

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Atheris wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

What? I just like Virthiccia.

Look you can't just keep shouting proper nouns at me, I scare easily.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri May 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Atheris wrote:
Kedri wrote:
As a South Carolinian, I'd be all for us being renamed to "True Carolina."

your flag would still be ugly tho no cap

South Carolina’s flag is one of the few good ones. At least we didn’t copy Texas like the state to our north.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 5:46 pm

Auze wrote:
Atheris wrote:your flag would still be ugly tho no cap

South Carolina’s flag is one of the few good ones. At least we didn’t copy Texas like the state to our north.

I honestly don't like many US state flags. South Carolina's is aesthetically pleasing, sure, but I just don't like the overall design. Honestly, I like Big Red more.

The only state flags I really like are Texas, Alabama, Florida, California, and New Mexico. The other ones I either just tolerate or are sick of (cough bedsheets cough).
#FreeNSGRojava

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Atheris wrote:
Auze wrote:South Carolina’s flag is one of the few good ones. At least we didn’t copy Texas like the state to our north.

I honestly don't like many US state flags. South Carolina's is aesthetically pleasing, sure, but I just don't like the overall design. Honestly, I like Big Red more.

The only state flags I really like are Texas, Alabama, Florida, California, and New Mexico. The other ones I either just tolerate or are sick of (cough bedsheets cough).

Petition to get the word "flags" added to the title of the thread.
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Atheris wrote:I honestly don't like many US state flags. South Carolina's is aesthetically pleasing, sure, but I just don't like the overall design. Honestly, I like Big Red more.

Petition to get the word "flags" added to the title of the thread.

I've had this idea for a new flag of Virginia for a while.

It's a white flag defaced with a cardinal holding a dogwood flower in its beak, with the words "SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS" under the defacement.
#FreeNSGRojava

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri May 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Besides the Texas Lone Star-looking one, I don't really know any of the US's state flags.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 5:53 pm

Albrenia wrote:Besides the Texas Lone Star-looking one, I don't really know any of the US's state flags.

Probably because they're all so similar.

Alabama's is similar to the flag of Scotland, with the blue replaced with white and the white saltire replaced with red, and a bit thinner.
Florida's is Alabama's, with the state seal of Florida defacing it.
California's is a bear on a small grassy plain, a red star in the dexter canton, and a red stripe on the bottom, with the words "CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC" above the stripe.
New Mexico's is a yellow flag, defaced with a red symbol of the Zia people.
#FreeNSGRojava

Saint Nicholas and the Hussars
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Nicholas and the Hussars » Fri May 15, 2020 5:54 pm

4 states: California, Texas, New York, and Florida

Terrible idea in practice? Yes.
Is it funny? Yes.
Howtoremoveanarchistscumfromnationstates.mp4
Proud sponsor of BARYITE MACHINE CORPORATION™©™ (Powering Manipulation™)™™

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Saint Nicholas and the Hussars wrote:4 states: California, Texas, New York, and Florida

Is it funny? Yes.

Please tell me Virginia is in New York, please tell me Virginia is in New York...
#FreeNSGRojava

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Albrenia wrote:Besides the Texas Lone Star-looking one, I don't really know any of the US's state flags.

Well, it's easy, I'll teach you!

There's blue bed sheet...

uh... white... bed sheet... um... h-hang on...

ooh, and the one gold... bed sheet!
CURRENT PROJECT . . .

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri May 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Mississippi only borders the Mississippi river. And there are states that completely straddle it. One of those should be called "Mississippi" instead.

"Mississippi" can be renamed "East Louisiana" or "West Alabama." Whichever they prefer.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri May 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Atheris wrote:
Saint Nicholas and the Hussars wrote:4 states: California, Texas, New York, and Florida

Is it funny? Yes.

Please tell me Virginia is in New York, please tell me Virginia is in New York...

Virginia is divided between California and Texas.
Obviously.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Atheris wrote:Please tell me Virginia is in New York, please tell me Virginia is in New York...

Obviously.

Wrong. Every state just gets added to the Florida Panhandle.
CURRENT PROJECT . . .

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 6:02 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Atheris wrote:Please tell me Virginia is in New York, please tell me Virginia is in New York...

Obviously.

#FreeNSGRojava

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri May 15, 2020 6:04 pm

I wonder what people would choose if the only choices were an America with no individual states and one where every town above 1,000 people in population was a state.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General