NATION

PASSWORD

On Abuse and Violence

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

On Abuse and Violence

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Relationship abuse. It's horrible and we all know it is. However, many people do not see the double standards in society's perceptions of it. For example, if most of you were walking through a park and saw a man yelling at and hitting a woman, you would be furious and may even intervene. But what would you do if the one being yelled at and hit was a guy and the aggressor a woman? Would you perhaps assume that he did something to deserve it? Would you assume he could just take the hits no problem because he is a male and supposed to be stronger than the female? Or would you perhaps laugh thinking that the woman is joking around?

If you said no to any of the above, you are a minority in terms of your perceptions of abuse. Most people I know would have said yes to at least one of those things. And what of emotional abuse? Is it also possible that females can more easily get away with emotional abuse as well? Are guys just supposed to me emotionless and "take it like men?" What are your thoughts on this?

I myself believe that there is strong double standard here that seriously needs to be addressed by both society and the legal system. A couple years ago one of my friends was in a relationship with a pretty unstable woman that treated him like shit. One night she got extremely mad and beat the crap out of him, forcing him to go to the hospital with a broken finger and two broken ribs. Yet, not only was he laughed at by some jerks in his family, but even the police didn't take him seriously and the woman got off with not even a warning. If it was the other way around, it is fairly certain that she would have been taken seriously, been pitied, and he'd be in jail. Seriously messed up.
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 pm

Abuse is always wrong, whether it's by a man, woman, or organization. I'd be surprised if people really disagree with that.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Geneviev wrote:Abuse is always wrong, whether it's by a man, woman, or organization. I'd be surprised if people really disagree with that.

Sadly, many people believe that some forms of abuse are more acceptable than others and may even write-off some as not being abuse at all because the genders of the perpetrator and the victim.
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Abuse is always wrong, whether it's by a man, woman, or organization. I'd be surprised if people really disagree with that.

Sadly, many people believe that some forms of abuse are more acceptable than others and may even write-off some as not being abuse at all because the genders of the perpetrator and the victim.

I'm sure that people will misinterpret situations, but they can't possibly condone abuse.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

I'm sure that people will misinterpret situations, but they can't possibly condone abuse.

I agree. Abuse itself is utterly undefendable. But some people have really skewed views and double standards when it comes to it :\
China lied, people died!

Tadreodal
Attaché

Founded: Nov 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tadreodal » Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 pm

A lot of people say they have an unbiased view of it and would take action but I seriously doubt that everyone who claims this legitimately notices abuse from women in the same way they do abuse from men. I'd like to think I'm pretty good about being unbiased but even I probably am not completely even. It sucks that society kinda ingrains in us that women can't do that much damage -- sure, on average, a man getting hit by a woman is probably going to hurt less than vice versa, but the emotional damage is still there.
Tadreodal

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I'm sure that people will misinterpret situations, but they can't possibly condone abuse.

I agree. Abuse itself is utterly undefendable. But some people have really skewed views and double standards when it comes to it :\

I hate to be that person, but do you have a source? It seems impossible to believe that people can treat some abuse as being okay.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

I hate to be that person, but do you have a source? It seems impossible to believe that people can treat some abuse as being okay.

It's not that they consider it okay. Rather it is that they don't consider it abuse at all or lesser abuse. But, here are some sources for ya.

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/lets-d ... tic-abuse/

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/male-a ... 3-Oct2017/

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/201 ... le-victims

https://psychcentral.com/lib/men-as-vic ... tionships/

Plus personal experience.
China lied, people died!

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Tadreodal wrote:A lot of people say they have an unbiased view of it and would take action but I seriously doubt that everyone who claims this legitimately notices abuse from women in the same way they do abuse from men. I'd like to think I'm pretty good about being unbiased but even I probably am not completely even. It sucks that society kinda ingrains in us that women can't do that much damage -- sure, on average, a man getting hit by a woman is probably going to hurt less than vice versa, but the emotional damage is still there.

Very true
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I hate to be that person, but do you have a source? It seems impossible to believe that people can treat some abuse as being okay.

It's not that they consider it okay. Rather it is that they don't consider it abuse at all or lesser abuse. But, here are some sources for ya.

Well, that's terrible. You would think it would be more obvious to people.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

Well, that's terrible. You would think it would be more obvious to people.

Indeed :\
China lied, people died!

Final Universal Order
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Final Universal Order » Sun May 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Green October Z wrote:

Sometimes religion will emotionally abuse people too. Jehovah’s Witness are an example.

Sometimes a corporation will abuse people who tinker with their products too much. Texas Instruments Education is an example.

Sometimes a government will abuse her citizens. Taxation is an example.

Abuse is always wrong. This goes for all perpetrators, male, female, religious, corporate, or governmental.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Final Universal Order wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

Sometimes religion will emotionally abuse people too. Jehovah’s Witness are an example.

Sometimes a corporation will abuse people who tinker with their products too much. Texas Instruments Education is an example.

Abuse is always wrong. This goes for all perpetrators, male, female, religious, corporate, or governmental.

Yeah. I was thinking of organizations too, when I saw this thread.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 9:06 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Final Universal Order wrote:

Yeah. I was thinking of organizations too, when I saw this thread.

Organizations and governments abuse people, too, yes. But what am really focusing on is the double standards that exist when it comes to relationship and domestic abuse.
China lied, people died!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Abusive girlfriends and I go together like drugs and a ziploc bag.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Abusive girlfriends and I go together like drugs and a ziploc bag.

That's rough :\ sorry to hear that.
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Yeah. I was thinking of organizations too, when I saw this thread.

Organizations and governments abuse people, too, yes. But what am really focusing on is the double standards that exist when it comes to relationship and domestic abuse.

It's probably based on what people hear about most often. It's the reason they aren't aware of other kinds of abuse, and it could contribute to the double standard.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 10, 2020 9:25 pm

I'll admit to probably being more permissive of female-on-male violence than the opposite, but only to a point. It's not right, but I can't really honestly say I'd treat a woman slapping a man in public the same as the opposite. Neither would make me think the slapped party 'deserved' it, but I'd be much more likely to jump to the slapped woman's defence than the man's.

I'm trying to be more egalitarian though. This is a nice reminder to keep it up.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Albrenia wrote:I'll admit to probably being more permissive of female-on-male violence than the opposite, but only to a point. It's not right, but I can't really honestly say I'd treat a woman slapping a man in public the same as the opposite. Neither would make me think the slapped party 'deserved' it, but I'd be much more likely to jump to the slapped woman's defence than the man's.

I'm trying to be more egalitarian though. This is a nice reminder to keep it up.

May I ask why you have that mindset?
China lied, people died!

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Albrenia wrote:I'll admit to probably being more permissive of female-on-male violence than the opposite, but only to a point. It's not right, but I can't really honestly say I'd treat a woman slapping a man in public the same as the opposite. Neither would make me think the slapped party 'deserved' it, but I'd be much more likely to jump to the slapped woman's defence than the man's.

Upbringing, maybe? Might be I just consider men to be more dangerous than women in a general sense, so a hit from a man is more likely to cause serious harm or death than from a woman.

Use of weapons obviously changes this, and a woman going at a guy with a knife or gun would be the same as a guy doing the same.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 pm

This sort of thing is an influential factor as to why I've been so hesitant to experiment with dating.

Not the biggest one, but it's up there.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

Upbringing, maybe? Might be I just consider men to be more dangerous than women in a general sense, so a hit from a man is more likely to cause serious harm or death than from a woman.

Use of weapons obviously changes this, and a woman going at a guy with a knife or gun would be the same as a guy doing the same.

Well, you have helped prove my point...
China lied, people died!

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Sun May 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

No worries, Green October Z. Let me tell how female-on-male abuse is viewed in my mostly working-class white part of Britain.

Simply put, if it’s in public: equal rights, equal lefts - no one’s going to complain if a woman or girl who is shouting at or hitting her partner unprovoked gets a slap in return. A passer-by might even intervene or tell the person being assaulted to fight back.

However, it’s not uniform - you do get those who treat that kind of abuse with a double standard.
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sun May 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Both genders do not deserve relationship abuses rather they be male or female they do not deserve to be abused by each other. A romantic relationship is about being with the one you love with all of your heart and to work together to overcome the challenges that any couple may face.
Last edited by Aeritai on Sun May 10, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Indeed. I'm making the effort to change that about myself to be more egalitarian.

Thankfully I've not had to be tested by witnessing any women harming men or otherwise of late.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General