NATION

PASSWORD

A World on Fire (OOC, 1700s AH, Accepting Apps)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Nuraca
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

A World on Fire (OOC, 1700s AH, Accepting Apps)

Postby Nuraca » Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm

A 1700's Alternate History Roleplay

by Nuraca

OOC (You Are Here) | Map* (July 21st) | IC | Discord
*grey lands are HRE lands eligible to be played

"The ancient Romans built their greatest masterpieces for wild beasts to fight in."
- Voltaire

The year is 1765. The nations of Europe, in a miracle of progress, have surpassed the long-standing civilizations of the East. Grand palaces have sprung up as the aristocracy has grown alongside the opulence of the times. And yet, the era of Kings and Princes, of feudal lords and chivalry, are in their dying days, or perhaps already dead, as the parlors of the continent are filled with philosophers, statesmen, and ideas that will forever change the world.

Africa and Asia are no strangers to strife. Whole eras, begun and ended by the blades of man, lie forgotten, abandoned to be reclaimed by the Earth. Though the bickering states in the West bring gold and treasure to the shores of the East, their competition also brings a new type of war: that which is truly global. The old powers, once the cradles of civilization, must now play a delicate balancing act to not only keep their traditions and culture, but to survive at all.

The New World is, furthermore, being ravaged by this insatiable hunger. Already, many old nations have been toppled by the growing colonies of Europe. Those who have managed to survive are now caught in a perilous game of chess, used as pawns by powers whose intentions are truly unknown. Brick now towers on their ancient shores, its layers strangers to them. In these nascent cities is emerging the ever-growing notion that kings across an ocean cannot, and perhaps should not, rule them as they did their forefathers who first settled the small forts and hamlets of America. The idea that a people ought to have the right to govern themselves, and that all men are created equal, clashes with the scars of the whip and the bodies upon bodies packed as cargo upon ships.

The world, too tired of peace and thirsty for war, is at a flashpoint. The consequences of the next few years will forever change history, and only one question remains: how?

The Premise

Hello, and welcome to A World on Fire! As the introduction above hopefully makes clear, this is an Alternate History RP set in 1765. This RP has a divergence date of 1000 AD, but several important movements that happened post-divergence are considered canon for the history of the RP. If you are interested, I ask that you take the time and read the guides below, check the map, and ask any questions about the RP structure before you apply. Thanks for taking the time to check this out!

This is a general guide to the tone and goal of this RP and those who participate in it.

1. The goal is not to win. Instead, the goal is to have fun and tell some great stories. There isn't an endgame here. We want to foster an environment that isn't competitive, but more cooperative. There's no world domination or political victory or anything that will automatically end the RP with a winner. Please give some consideration towards whether your choices as an RPer help or hurt this. The RP admins (me currently) will also ask you to edit your application or IC posts if there is too much emphasis on buffing your nation. In short: if your requested starting nation is too big or too powerful (like a France/Spain union), it may be declined even though your history is realistic. "Random" events may be released periodically in order to complicate a powerful nation's affairs.

2. Significant international events should be pre-determined. Tying into the above point, since the RP isn't totally competitive, the quality of your RP posts will be greatly improved if you plan major events, especially battles, beforehand with those involved. Correspondingly, you have to be willing to lose battles and even wars. But also feel free to raise your case as to why you should not lose a battle. Use this as an opportunity to provide depth and change to your nation. Your nation could very well be annexed or puppeted, in which case you can always apply for a new nation. The experience really dulls if you expect to always win. You should avoid conflicts with NPC nations unless they are tribal or you have few player-controlled neighbors.

3. Please respect the rulings and input of the admin. I'm currently "the admin" but if that definition expands, please respect any RP mods or Co-Ops. I'll be a fellow player, but I will be completely impartial when it comes to any disputes or judgements brought to me. In return, you should respect the resulting decisions and RP accordingly. This also applies to app rejections, RP adjustments, and any other admin function. If there are any issues or questions concerning the admin, please bring them up privately to me via TG or Discord.

4. Use common sense. You are not going to be using rifles instead of muskets, some obscure ship design that cuts down transatlantic sailing, or puckle guns frequently. If it is obvious that you should lose a battle, or win it pyrrhicly, avoid trying to RP otherwise. Read the guidelines and FAQs below before you apply so you know how the RP itself works. If you don't know the answer to a question or whether something is prohibited, please ask! I will never not respond to a TG. You should also observe the standard NS RP rules and guidelines. Using common sense helps avoid having to break things like economy into raw numbers.

5. Ignore hindsight and embrace the fog of war in your history. It may be obvious that, for example, Spain should have had a different colonization policy or conducted its navy better during the Spanish Armada. However, that's not a good reason to change either of those events. If you are basing your history off of RL events, you must consider the decisions that led to those events happening. Actions have consequences and consequences have actions. Again, the goal is to have a fun story to write, not be right all the time.

Once you have read these rules, place a "2" as the first digit in your three-digit tracking number.

1. Time
Time is basically fluid. Keep in mind Rule 4 when determining when to date your post and events. Too fast a time jump and other players will fall behind; too slow a time jump and players stop playing. Time isn't rigid. If you need to address an event that occurred before a previous player's IC post, feel free to do so as long as it isn't unreasonably far in the past and does not affect the canon of the other players. If your post does affect their canon, you may have to work out a solution via TG or Discord, or abandon the idea altogether. Rule 2 may help avoid this. I may also institute a timeskip if there's not much going on and players would like to move ahead a bit.

2. History
As stated above, the point of divergence (PoD) is 1000 AD. Everything that occurred before is canon, and the rest is up to you so long as it's within guidelines. However, there are key RL historical events that are still considered canon in this world:
-- The Black Plague still occurred with the same severity and spread.
-- The Renaissance and Age of Enlightenment still began at the same time and location and spread at the same rate. This affects culture and technology.
-- The New World was discovered by some Western European power in 1492. Remember Rule 5 here.
-- The Protestant Reformation (and Counter Reformation) still happened and there are Protestant states in Europe. Which ones embraced it is malleable. No non-RL religions have been founded.
-- The Holy Roman Empire exists and is still decentralized to the point that players may build nations within its borders.
These events were chosen to remain canon because a history without these events occurring would be too divergent to reasonably judge whether a history is realistic or not.

3. Technology
Rules 4 and 5 are very big here. I highly advise not to arbitrarily develop new technology. In general, the technological level in a given region is approximately similar to its RL counterpart. This can be changed through IC actions and events within reason. Are you an Indian superstate that wants to practically bankrupt itself buying Flemish muskets? Go ahead, I'm not stopping you! There are ramifications to such actions, though! Technological innovations that occur with the passage of time within the RP, if based off of RL development, are fair game to those who can reasonably develop it.

4. Nationbuilding
Yeah... this is one of those uncomfortable truths about NS RPs in general and RPs of this period specifically. Most players, though certainly not an overwhelming majority, will typically choose for their nations to be based in Europe. As a result, sometimes players who wish to play as a non-European nation may end up with a somewhat lesser experience. You are invited to apply for anywhere in the world, and more well-known locations like India, China, and Japan typically have a solid number of players. But if you do sign up for a nation and find that no one else is playing around you or able to interact with you, you'll be able to retcon your original app and re-apply if you wish to do so.

Furthermore, you should create a nation that is not a clone of its RL 1765 counterpart. Odds are, the events that shaped that nation are going to be radically different, or even non-existent, and also it's a lot more fun to make an interesting nation out of history divergences.

5. Colonies
Again, Rules 4 and 5 here. If your nation has the naval prowess, need, and treasury to be participating in colonization, go ahead and make a reasonable claim. Make sure your history spells out various important expeditions. Remember that Spain's colonial administration was buckling under the pressure of overextension and hyperinflation due to its size and policy. There is a good chance that your colonies will experience a revolution within the next fifty years, and your colonial RPing should reflect that. For colonies, there's a difference between what you control and what you claim. Please on the map only outline what you control in solid colors. What you claim is likely to be disputed by another colonial power and potentially fought over. Claimed/disputed areas may be marked with a stripe pattern.

6. Military and Infrastructure
Be sensible when determining both your military and economic capacities as these two often worked against each other in the relevant time period. For reference, France's mobilization at its peak during the Seven Years' War was 1,000,000 men, under 2.5% of the population. That, of course, started them down the long and winding road towards fun-revolution-time. If you have a killer military, you're gonna struggle in most other aspects of running your nation. The concept of a standing army was relatively new at the time for Europe (see: the US Army post-revolution), so you are likely going to spend considerable time raising and drilling troops if you lose a battle particularly badly.

7. Inactivity
If you feel the need or desire to remove yourself from the RP, please just let us know either via private message or a post in this thread. Otherwise, if you aren't posting or active in the discord for longer than a week, you may be removed and your nation made available for new applicants.

Once you have read these guidelines, place a "7" as the second digit in your three-digit tracking number.

1. Hey wait, aren't you a new nation? Why are you OPing this?
-- This nation is a new nation but I have been active on-and-off on NS since 2008. For perspective, P2TM did not exist and I remember making these RPs in Forum 7. Just made a new nation for the fun of it and since I haven't been on NS in over a year. If you don't believe me, I hope the quality of this OP is enough to convince you that I am competent enough.

2. Are you looking for Co-Ops?
-- At the moment not really, though if this thing takes off I'll likely solicit some help. If you would be interested, I would primarily look for people who are both active and experienced.

3. What about a mapmaker/loremaster/otherposition?
-- Hey if you'd like to help out and participate, no way I'd say no! Message me privately and we'll work an arrangement out.

4. What are you looking for in an RP sample?
-- Quantity is not quality but there's a correlation. I'd like to see a post that will reflect what you will post on average in the IC here. Should have significant substance and detail with at least a loose sense of formatting. If you're new, you are welcome to apply! Just take some time and write a sample post, and make sure you can commit to writing at a similar quality regularly.

5. I have a question about a rule, guide, or admin decision.
-- Message me privately via telegram or Discord.

6. When will the IC go up?
-- The IC is already up and available at the link above!

7. Is _____ realistic?
-- This is a question best asked to me directly and privately since I'm sure there are a lot of factors and details to consider.

8. Where's the tracking number? Why do we have one?
-- The tracking number makes it easier for people to search specifically for applications and filter out other mentions of a nation. It's what I use to check for new, completed apps. As for where it is, you'll just have to look harder :p

9. What happens if someone claimed my area while I was writing my application?
-- This can be best avoided by filling out the reservation form before applying. Unfortunately, an application, even one that has modifications to be made, acts as a 48hr reservation once posted, so you'll have to select another area or hope that person's application is rescinded or cancelled.

10. Is the map up to date?
-- The map's updated pretty much every 2-3 days, but every update will come with a date specifying when it was uploaded. If you're applying for a nation on May 7th and the May 6th map is the most recent, you should check for any applications or reservations made after. Some reservations may not have been added to the map so please be understanding if you make a reservation and that land seems to already be claimed.

11. Is participating in the Discord required?
-- Certainly not! All business can be conducted via this thread or TG with no issues. The Discord is merely a resource for players who wish to communicate in a way more convenient than TGs or who wish to engage in informal conversation.

Once you have read these questions, place a "6" as the third digit in your three-digit tracking number.

Code: Select all
[size=150][b]48hr Reservation Form[/b][/size]
[b]New Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Map:[/b]
999 - Do not delete this.

Code: Select all
[size=150][b]Application[/b][/size]
[b]General[/b]
--Nation Name:
--Map:
--Flag: [spoiler][/spoiler]
--Capital:
[b]Government[/b]
--Government Type: (Absolute monarchy, representative democracy, etc.)
--Government Overview: (What makes you unique to other nations with the same government type, if anything?)
--Head of Government: (Who runs your nation?)
--Head of State (if different): (e.g. Boris Johnson is a Head of Government, Queen Elizabeth is a Head of State)
[b]Demographics[/b]
--Population:
----Colonial Population (if applicable):
--Demonym: (What are your citizens called?)
--Primary Culture: (What culture is the ruling class?)
--Other Cultures: (What other cultures exist besides the primary, if any?)
--Religion Overview: (What is the primary religion? What are the other religions? Which are acceptable and which are persecuted?)
[b]Development Points (Total = 15, 11 for nations with no navy)[/b]
--Infrastructure/Economy (out of 10): (How strong your road networks are, how wealthy you are, how well-quipped your army and navy are)
--Army (out of 10): (How large your army can be, how educated are your generals, how fast can your troops mobilize)
--Navy (out of 10): (How large your navy can be, how fast can your navy mobilize, how far you can trade overseas)
--Military Overview: (How is your military structured? Equipped? Flesh out the specifics of your Development Points here.)
[b]RP Elements[/b]
--National Objectives: (What do your people/monarchy hope to accomplish?)
--History: (Check other apps before filling this out)

RP Sample:

Tracking Number:(in OP)

* And here is my reservation for both my nation and the HRE Imperial throne (areas in gray are claimable HRE states but you must be an HRE member if they comprise the majority of your lands).

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name:The Kingdom of Bohemia and Poland
Map:

Last edited by Nuraca on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Nuraca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuraca » Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm

ROSTER (WIP)

by Ontorisa

KINGDOM OF BOHEMIA
CAPITAL: PRAGUE | CLAIMS | NURACA | POPULATION: 11,550,000 | RELIGION: CATHOLICISM | APPLICATION
"Bohemia is the bulwark of all that Europe used to be. Clinging on to its monarchy and its adherence to the Church in Rome, the Kings of Bohemia, long the Holy Roman Emperors as well, seek to balance change with steadiness, progress with tradition, and secularization with the continued presence of God."

THE RUSSIAN REPUBLIC
CAPITAL: NOVGOROD| CLAIMS | DANUBIAN PEOPLES | POPULATION: 35,000,000 (30,000) | RELIGION: ORTHODOX | APPLICATION
"The Russian Republic is vast nation, spanning the length from Pomerania to Alaska, and held up on strong democratic principles. It has garnered a degree of freedoms for the common man few have seen elsewhere in the globe. Its coffers are rich from the Siberian fur trade and from its merchant vessels. Its cities are home to great minds, and fed by vast farms in the south. The Russians themselves hold their republic dearly, and prize it on a level similar to that of their god."

THE EMPIRE OF SWEDEN
CAPITAL: STOCKHOLM | CLAIMS | THE GRAND DUCHY OF NOVA CAPILE | POPULATION: 3,660,000 (570,000) | RELIGION: PROTESTANT | APPLICATION
"The Swedish Empire has reigned supreme over the Baltic ever since the great victory of Carolus Rex over Russia, Rogaland, and Bohemia in 1702— but, eroded over sixty years of peace, that supremacy is far from secure. Twenty-two-year-old Emperor Karl XIV, barely a year into his reign, now looks to be facing the same challenges of his grandfather as the vultures begin to circle his domain. Sweden has always been the underdog of Europe, short on manpower, funds, and allies. The coming struggles will either prove that the Empire is worthy of its great power status, or shatter Sweden's glorious dream forever."

KINGDOM OF ROGALAND & THE PENINSULA
CAPITAL: STAVAGER | CLAIMS | ONTORISA | POPULATION: 1,400,000 | RELIGION: PROTESTANT | APPLICATION
"Insert a quick write-up here."

KINGDOM OF EGYPT
CAPITAL: CAIRO | CLAIMS | UNION PRINCES | POPULATION: 7,000,000 | RELIGION: CATHOLICISM | APPLICATION
"Egypt is, in many ways, much like an over-eager runner in a race. It has already, by itself, proven that Christianity is the most blood-thirsty of all religions, and yet, every day, it seeks to advance the position of our faith in that tally by the worth of a thousand Hinduisms, seemingly for the sole purpose of proving themselves wrong. The Kingdom of Egypt and a loving God are mutually exclusive concepts."

THE GREAT SHUN
CAPITAL: BEIJING | CLAIMS | SAO NOVA EUROPA | POPULATION: 271,300,000 | RELIGION: CONFUCIANISM, BUDDHISM, TAOISM | APPLICATION
"Stretching from the mountains of Ladakh to the steppes of Manchuria and from the freezing snowy forests of Mongolia to the tropical jungles of Vietnam, the Great Shun lords over East Asia. The world's oldest civilization, the Shun Empire has a culture that had been refined for centuries by brilliant scholars and intellectuals. The Emperor of Shun, the Son of Heaven and Supreme Autocrat of All Under Heaven, lords over more than two-hundred-seventy million subjects. The Heavenly Realm has now closed its doors to outsiders and has committed itself to a splendid isolation."

ROUNANTELEZH BREIZH (KINGDOM OF BRITTANY)
CAPITAL: BREST | CLAIMS | KHASINKONIA | POPULATION: 2,600,000 (4,820,000) | RELIGION: CATHOLICISM | APPLICATION
"The Kingdom of Brittany has forged a vast empire and garnered exceptional wealth and privileges despite being at the mercy of waves on water on one side, and waves of Frenchman on the other. Nominally a Catholic enlightened monarchy, its relationship with France has caused it to develop a peculiar governance that fits well with the peculiar wigless short-haired people that live there, and their peculiar tongue. The Bretons wish they still lived on an island, and behave accordingly."

THE FRENCH COMMONWEALTH
CAPITAL: PARIS | CLAIMS | REVEREND NORV | POPULATION: 24,400,000 (220,000) | RELIGION: REFORMED | APPLICATION
"The French Commonwealth is proof that Europe need not be as it is. On a continent of monarchies, we are a constitutional republic. On a continent of Catholic idolatry and Lutheran authoritarianism, we are Reformed and egalitarian. On a continent dominated by aristocrats, our polity is rooted in the bourgeosie. Our success - the might of our armies, the power of our industry - is itself a threat to the Old Order. And as we rise, they must surely fall." - Charles-Louis de Montesquieu

EMPIRE OF THE GHURIDS/Shansabānīds
CAPITAL: BELGRADE | CLAIMS | GUUJ XAAT KIL | POPULATION: 9,000,000 | RELIGION: SUNNI | APPLICATION
"The empire that the Shansabānīds have carved out of Persia and Northern India is one that has been considered by many for quite some time as one that would die out quickly, ruling over Hindus, Buddhists, Zoroastrians. And yet here it stands many centuries later, none the worse for wear and still going strong with no intent of stopping.

UNITED KINGDOM OF BULGARIA, SERBIA, AND CROATIA/GREATER BALKAN KINGDOM
CAPITAL: BELGRADE | CLAIMS | EUROPA UNDIVIDED | POPULATION: 9,000,000 | RELIGION: EASTERN ORTHODOXY, CATHOLICISM, AND PROTESTANTISM | APPLICATION
"The United Kingdom is a nation whose existence few would ever dare imagine seven centuries ago. Borne from the union of crowns between the kingdoms of Bulgaria, Serbia, and Croatia, the United Kingdom has made a name for itself within the European stage. It is a rare example of a highly diverse yet stable society, as the cooperation between Orthodox Bulgaria and Serbia and Catholic Croatia for the last 700 years has forged a nation that one should never underestimate with all its military and economic strength. The United Kingdom has been made wealthy by trade from the east. Its great fleet defends the traders of all nations within the Mediterranean Sea, and its armies fight alongside their fellow Christians in the desert battlefields of the Middle East. There is no doubt, therefore, that the Greater Balkan Kingdom is a bulwark of tolerance within a continent of despots and authoritarian regimes, and it will fight to defend its people and their freedom."

THE UNIFIED STATES OF NORTH-KIN
CAPITAL: Odinbygð | CLAIMS(Yellow) | SANGMAR | POPULATION: 800,000 | RELIGION: NEO-NORSE | APPLICATION
"Nearly eight-hundred years have passed since we turned our backs on the Old World, leaving it in search of a place for ourselves. In the process, we became part of a New World: both figuratively and literally. We’re different to the Europeans now, tougher and stronger - but how much will this matter now that they’ve started to knock on the New World’s door too? Only our gods know the answer..."

THE IRISH CONFEDERATION
CAPITAL: DUBLIN | CLAIMS | PASONG TIRAD | POPULATION: 4,000,000 | RELIGION: CATHOLICISM, ANGLICANISM AND PRESBYTERIANISM | APPLICATION
"The Rebel Isle is entering another season of unrest. The four kingdoms that make up the Irish Confederation - Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connacht - have been strung together this past century with nothing but several treaties, the perennial fear of invasion and sheer will. But these alone may no longer be enough to keep the Confederation together. As it passes the fiftieth year of its period of regency, Ireland is now at a crossroads. Will it choose closer relations with the British Isles, sign up for an alliance of convenience with the European mainland, return to the centuries of revolts and infighting that gave the country its infamous moniker or choose a different path as it inches its way closer to the nineteenth century?"
Last edited by Nuraca on Thu May 21, 2020 7:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm

Nuraca wrote:Reserved for OP use.

Nuraca, I don’t have access to a computer and therefore, I believe I can’t place claims on a map. Is it alright if I were to reserve an area by writing it down instead? I’ll admit it sounds stupid, but I would really like to apply.
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Fri May 08, 2020 2:13 am

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: The Kingdom of the Latines and Sicily
Map:

The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Nuraca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuraca » Fri May 08, 2020 9:26 am

SangMar wrote:
Nuraca wrote:Reserved for OP use.

Nuraca, I don’t have access to a computer and therefore, I believe I can’t place claims on a map. Is it alright if I were to reserve an area by writing it down instead? I’ll admit it sounds stupid, but I would really like to apply.

Yeah absolutely! Just be as detailed as you can.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:48hr Reservation Form
Map:

Noted!

Sorry I didn't reply right away; I didn't think people were applying :p

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 08, 2020 9:49 am

Caught my interest, I’ll look into specific land claims soon, consider this a tag
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Danubian Peoples
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Danubian Peoples » Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 am

Seems pretty interesting, but I'm kinda worried about the 1000 CE divergence date. I've played far too many PDX GSGs (and especially CK2) to just let that slide (insert world conquest by 1453 here). Not to mention the potential for butterflying away whole cultures and the like. It appears that the Mongol invasions aren't a key canon event, so the whole Russian Empire may have gone poof. Same could happen with any number of places. Change one thing, and suddenly, I dunno, we have nuclear weaponry by 1600. But granted, this is decidedly not in the spirit of the roleplay, and so I will let you handwave the above as you please. As for where I'll set up, I'm debating a couple of things, perhaps a mighty Muslim empire under siege by foreign influences (think how the Ottomans caught metaphorical fire after being introduced to nationalism), some big nation in eastern Europe to serve as a Russia placeholder (personally I'm thinking glorious mega-Novgorod), or perhaps a Japan struggling with differences between its shogunate (Tokugawas probs butterflied away, so expect random Japanese dynasty to be shogun), the daimyos and western influences.

EDIT: Took a closer look at the opening post, it appears a Discord is planned. I have issues with the site I'd rather not elaborate on, so.. gonna have to think about this.
Last edited by Danubian Peoples on Fri May 08, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats are not used.
This nation does not reflect my IRL views on anything.
Sorry for any mistakes I make with regards to history while roleplaying in historical RPs. Also I am not a qualified historian or academic. None of the make-believe I do is likely to stand up to academic scrutiny.

Valdez Islands is my puppet.

Greater Liverpool
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Greater Liverpool » Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: The Bulgarian Empire
Map:

An orthodox convert who doesn't support Russia

Slava Ukraini

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Fri May 08, 2020 10:57 am

Nuraca wrote:
SangMar wrote:

Yeah absolutely! Just be as detailed as you can.

Map:

Noted!

Sorry I didn't reply right away; I didn't think people were applying :p

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: The Northern Republic
Map: New Brunswick, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador.

If this is too much territory then please say so - I wouldn’t think so though. Given how sparsely populated this area was during the time period IRL.
Last edited by SangMar on Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Nuraca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuraca » Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 am

Danubian Peoples wrote:Seems pretty interesting, but I'm kinda worried about the 1000 CE divergence date. I've played far too many PDX GSGs (and especially CK2) to just let that slide (insert world conquest by 1453 here). Not to mention the potential for butterflying away whole cultures and the like. It appears that the Mongol invasions aren't a key canon event, so the whole Russian Empire may have gone poof. Same could happen with any number of places. Change one thing, and suddenly, I dunno, we have nuclear weaponry by 1600. But granted, this is decidedly not in the spirit of the roleplay, and so I will let you handwave the above as you please. As for where I'll set up, I'm debating a couple of things, perhaps a mighty Muslim empire under siege by foreign influences (think how the Ottomans caught metaphorical fire after being introduced to nationalism), some big nation in eastern Europe to serve as a Russia placeholder (personally I'm thinking glorious mega-Novgorod), or perhaps a Japan struggling with differences between its shogunate (Tokugawas probs butterflied away, so expect random Japanese dynasty to be shogun), the daimyos and western influences.

EDIT: Took a closer look at the opening post, it appears a Discord is planned. I have issues with the site I'd rather not elaborate on, so.. gonna have to think about this.

Yeah the great balancing act of alt history is to weigh what needs to still happen with the creativity you want to give players. A Mongol-esque invasion is not ruled out if others canonize it into their history. The common sense rule, tech rule, and my discretion are all safeguards to ensure that the RP is sufficiently reminiscent to the period without restricting potential histories.

Discord is not required, it's merely a platform allowing players to communicate in a way that may be more convenient via TG. All formal business and discussion can be readily conducted through OOC and telegram.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am

Application
General

--Nation Name: The Unified States of North-Kin

--Map: Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador and finally, Nova Scotia.

--Flag:

--Capital: Odinbygð - (It’s meant to mean something akin to “Odin’s Dwelling” in English - situated roughly where Montréal is in reality.)

Government

--Government Type: Representative Democracy.

--Government Overview:

With this being 1765, and with the RL American and French Revolutions being several decades away, the USNK’s form of democracy is a little unusual. No, it isn’t a wildly unrealistic modern democracy transposed onto an 18th Century Canada. It’s different. Not by much, but I’m trying to be creative here. :p

The first feature of the USNK’s government is known as “Law Elective” - which simply put, is a way for villages to decide laws which they think would be worth exploring. Any resident of any village can start this off - all they need is to call a “þing” - a meeting of their village where they can explain and receive feedback on their proposed law. If the law is liked well enough by the village and has the signatures to prove it, then it is passed onto the next village and so on. Eventually, should a law get the approval of ten villages, it is sent off onto the next phase...

The second mechanism of the nation’s political system to be explained is the Council of Chiefs - a legislative body composed of two representatives from each village within the nation. They meet several times a year - and should any representative be unwell or unable to attend, they can select a fellow person from their village to stand in for them. Once there, they debate the laws submitted to them from the villages - deciding which are good enough to pass onto the next stage, those which still need work and removing any proposed laws from circulation that violate the “Ráð” - or “Agreement”. This is the constitution of the nation, a set of tenets that govern what any proposed laws can affect - and what they cannot. This is the only chance to debate the proposed laws - barring a special session of the Council being called: because otherwise, Council members must keep their fellow member’s opinions and votes anonymous.

Finally, once all the representatives have returned to their villages - they will inform said villages about the laws that are now up to vote. This begins the third process...

The third stage is the vote for new laws - essentially, each village gets one vote for each law. These votes are decided by simple majority of signatures - either for, or against from the residents. Once all voting has concluded, every villages’ law is sent off on the fourth and final stage.

The fourth and final part of the governmental process is also the most simple - the results of the votes for each law are brought to the capital. Once there, they are delivered to the “Laghmaþer” or Lawspeaker, in English. These fifty individuals count and document how each village voted - assigning each law a corresponding vote depending on whether that village had more signatures in approval or against said law. Finally, once each village’s vote has been calculated, the Lawspeaker then look at whether the proposed law got a majority or not. If it did, the law is immediately enacted nationally, if it didn’t, the law is abandoned. This continues until each law brought to the Lawspeaker from the corresponding session of the Council of Chiefs has been looked into and dealt with accordingly.

Other than that, the USNK has one final component to its political system - the High Chief. The High Chief, alongside his advisors - who are selected on a regional basis - with four from each province, for a total of twenty - responds to all foreign matters, trade, war and the like.

--Head of Government: Agnar the Quiet.

--Head of State:

Demographics

--Population: 800,000.

----Colonial Population (if applicable): N/A

--Demonym: North-Kin.

--Primary Culture: Norse-First Nations.

--Other Cultures: Modern Scandinavian Cultures - I.E, Swedes, Danes, Icelandic, Finns and Norwegians.

--Religion Overview:

The vast majority of the USNK’s inhabitants are followers of the Neo-Norse faith - a syncretic blend of norse paganism and the various First Nations(Mainly Algonquian, Iroquois and Inuit) belief systems that the original inhabitants of the land held. It is a polytheistic system - with numerous deities to be worshipped and each serving a specific purpose. An example of the syncretic nature of the belief system is the usage of totems: which were originally an Ojibwe custom. The North-Kin also make use of shamans - a tradition they first encountered when they met the Inuit People of the Arctic.

However, as a general rule, people are free to worship as they wish - not that the North-Kin believe in anything else. Instead, this refers to the mainly Protestant Scandinavian immigrant communities - who for the most part, are left alone - on the condition that they leave the North-Kin’s faith alone. Other religions are more complicated - like Catholicism and Sunni Islam, it’s not that the North-Kin don’t allow their worship, instead they just don’t know that these religions exist - and therefore don’t know how they’d react to them. Other than that, some North-Kin communities that live close to their Scandinavian neighbours have adopted elements of Christianity into their rituals.

Development Points (Total = 15)

--Infrastructure/Economy (out of 10): 7

--Army (out of 10): 5

--Navy (out of 10): 3

--Military Overview:

The North-Kin’s army contrasts heavily with its European counterparts - even the Swedes, despite several centuries of trade and co-operation between its private citizens and themselves. Firstly, due to the North-Kin’s small population, they don’t use traditional line formations: instead, they work as skirmishers - employing long rifles to pick off the officers, and modern flintlocks to pick off the rest. They don’t fight fair, working in small groups - hiding themselves in the foliage and tundra that makes up their homes. Another element that distinguishes the North-Kin from the Europeans are their drab, boring war-garments: things like caribou pelts, polar bear fur and seal-skin - which are adorned with dirt, snow and foliage, to make themselves less visible to human enemies.

Men who fight with the North-Kin’s army typically double as hunters also - out of necessity, for either trading or for food. This helps to keep their marksmanship sharp. Other weapons used include tomahawks fashioned from horse or deer bone, harpoons - (particularly in the far north) and clubs. The number of North-Kin warrior-soldiers numbers around several thousand - this number only being able to be sustained due to the fact that they’re not actually a standing army.

However, they do maintain a small full-time officer corps and also a policing force - who have responsibility for not only policing the regions, but also serving as the state’s only full-time land military organisation. These number approximately 1,500 men.

The North-Kin’s navy isn’t a traditional navy either - it is purely for trading, mainly between themselves, the Swedish colonies and Scandinavia proper. The navy operates several frigate-style vessels, mainly used to store cargo for export and import. These ships maintain full-time crews of sailors and warriors-soldiers to not only enhance their effectiveness, but to provide rudimentary security also.

As for infrastructure, the North-Kin do live in permanent settlements - which they construct out of the plentiful supplies of timber and stone located in their region. The quality of the nation’s infrastructure is actually also quite good - which should come as little surprise, especially when the copious amount of fur-trading between the North-Kin and Europeans is considered. However, it isn’t at all uniform - with the more isolated areas suffering from poorer infrastructure naturally.

RP Elements
--National Objectives:

The North-Kin wish to consolidate their hold over Eastern Canada - and want to make further allies with the other “Protestant” nations that are sure to discover them in the future. Finally, they want to prevent encroachment on their territory by any foreign power - and to maintain their independence accordingly.

--History:

Leif Erikson first landed in Vinland (near the Gulf of St Lawrence) some time around 1000 AD. It was a land teeming with life - so... different, to the his father’s homeland back in Scandinavia. For one, there was plenty of well, land - and most of the year, it was good for farming. Unlike Scandinavia or the place of Leif’s birth, Iceland - where land was not only of poor quality, it was in short supply too. Which is one of the most commonly suggested reasons for why the raids on English and Welsh coast started - so the Vikings could have territory of their own, and to gather wealth. Naturally, with this new information - Leif decided that this new territory would make an excellent place for settlement: and so he got to work, inviting Norsemen from Scandinavia and Greenland - itself a very recently settled Norse colony to Vinland. Once arrived, he promised them everything they wanted...

So more came.

This merry little saga would continue until the early 1360s - when abruptly, the Norsemen stopped arriving. By then, Leif’s original settlement had become one of several - dotted across what is today the Canadian provinces of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. One of these settlements - located slightly more inland than the rest would later become the capital, Odinbygð (read: Montréal). Of course, to get that a settlement even that far into the interior meant that the Norsemen soon encountered...

The Native peoples of Canada, or “Skrælings” as the Norse settlers referred to them as would be one of the biggest hurdles that the early explorers would face. They were tough opponents, and many battles were fought over land, access to food or just plain pride. At first, the Norsemen’s progress was halted significantly - every mile further into the strange territory that had settled brought more casualties. Casualties that couldn’t be sustained at any great number by the small number of colonists. Of course, it was a similar story for the Skrælings, but it wasn’t like the Norsemen knew that.

What stopped these attacks? Marriages.

Like many expeditions in the early 2nd millennium AD, the settlers in Vinland were pointedly male. Accordingly, there weren’t many opportunities to find a good Norse bride half a world away from Scandinavia. This meant, eventually that the Norsemen began to find themselves marrying into the ranks of the Skrælings - creating a creole culture under one banner: the North-Kin. Soon, there were few purely Norse or Skræling people within the territory that the North-Kin inhabited. They’d all become North-Kin, viewing themselves as no longer solely Norse but also markedly foreign from the darker-skinned First Nations people who they occasionally met when heading south, to west or to the farthest northern reaches of their territory.

Unlike all First Nations people that the North-Kin encountered, one thing allowed them to prosper. Permanent settlements. They didn’t dismantle their villages and head elsewhere when it was convenient - no, they stayed put and built upon what they’d gained. Other than that, they also had another crucial advantage over the vast majority of First Nations: agriculture. Yes, as a group descended from Europeans, they’d inherited the knowledge of how to plant and grow crops - which continued even after their inter-marriages with the native people. Why was this so important? Because it didn’t keep them stuck as a hunter-gatherer society, and instead allowed them to grow outwards, with the quantity of animals and local conditions being much less of a worry than if they relied solely upon hunting for their diets.

During the early 17th Century, the North-Kin would be visited by a strangely familiar group. They spoke a language which sounded like an odd version of their own, minus the First Nations vocabulary that peppered the North-Kin’s speech. It was the Swedes - who, while not yet at the peak of their power under a Karl, certainly had the makings of a powerful state. At this time however, the North-Kin and Swedes viewed each other as an oddity, and therefore, nothing really significant occurred between them. Instead, they would come into contact again when the Swedes began to settle the Chesapeake area. It was at that time, that the shared connections between the Swedes and the once entirely Norse North-Kin became apparent to both. From then on, the Swedes and North-Kin both would agree to help each other out: trade-wise, mostly. The Swedes would give guns and modern technology to the North-Kin, while in return, the North-Kin would provide warriors, furs and food to the fledgling colonists.

As it stands in 1765, the Swedes have a firm grip on the territory to the south of the North-Kin, and as such have come to be recognised by the North-Kin as a people worth their respect. Accordingly, only the Swedish Empire is permitted to have an official delegation within the borders of the North-Kin’s nation and furthermore, the High Chief - backed by a special session of the Council of Chiefs has also granted permission for two thousand Scandinavians per year to settle within the North-Kin’s villages and towns. This, the High Chief hopes, will allow for a greater understanding between their nations. Already, as it stands, many North-Kin families have their children educated by Swedish tutors, in specially created Swedish-sponsored schools within North-Kin territory. Accordingly, many younger North-Kin can converse fluently with the Swedish settlers, and to a less extent, the other Scandinavians. The High Chief himself, can also converse in numerous Scandinavian languages - which he has learnt as a matter of showing sincerity to the Swedish Empire and its people.

RP Sample:

Tracking Number: 276.
Last edited by SangMar on Sun May 10, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Fri May 08, 2020 12:40 pm

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: Rouantelezh Breizh(Kingdom of Brittany)
Map: The Kingdom:
Brittany proper, Louisiana(Might have a different name), Guyane, Zanzibar, the northern coast of the Straits of Malacca, and Xiamen. The main one that might have competing claims would be Louisiana, although I'm going to maintain it as controlled until Europe begins to fill out more and we get an idea of what the big colonial empires are.

I'm planning on making a Brittany that escaped integration into France by losing the union of crowns, perhaps setting it up in a newly precarious situation with a new child monarch and scramble for a Regency Council, depending on what France ends up looking like. I do love alternate histories, so I'm going to indulge myself in a little Celtibooism this time, I think.
Last edited by Khasinkonia on Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuraca
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuraca » Fri May 08, 2020 12:58 pm

All reservations have been noted.

Additionally the application form has been updated slightly. The only change made was to restrict the number of development points to 11 for nations without a navy to prevent over-development in the economy and army.

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Fri May 08, 2020 7:22 pm

Tag, making a Byzantium App soon!
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Dragos Bee
Minister

Postby Dragos Bee » Fri May 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Map:

Apologies for infringing on your map claims, btw - I didn't mean anything bad.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Fri May 08, 2020 7:33 pm

Big Hm time
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Munkcestrian RepubIic
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian RepubIic » Fri May 08, 2020 7:55 pm

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: Eŋliի Riitի
Map: here
Last edited by Munkcestrian RepubIic on Fri May 08, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUNKCESTRIAN REPUBLIC
FORTITERDEFENDITTRIUMPHANS

formerly Munkchester — formerly Munkcestrian Republic — he/him/his
Pro-Slavery Alliance

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri May 08, 2020 8:41 pm

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: Empire of Sweden
Map: Sweden, Finland, the Baltic, and Chesapeake Colonies
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Munkcestrian RepubIic
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian RepubIic » Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: Empire of Sweden
Map: Sweden, Finland, the Baltic, and Chesapeake Colonies

Looks like we're going to have some colonial... overlap 8)
MUNKCESTRIAN REPUBLIC
FORTITERDEFENDITTRIUMPHANS

formerly Munkchester — formerly Munkcestrian Republic — he/him/his
Pro-Slavery Alliance

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri May 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Munkcestrian RepubIic wrote:Looks like we're going to have some colonial... overlap 8)

Nothing the good 'ol Caroleans can't fix.
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Danubian Peoples
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Danubian Peoples » Fri May 08, 2020 8:49 pm

Munkcestrian RepubIic wrote:48hr Reservation Form

Welp, there goes my idea for an app... Was planning to do Big Novgorod but it appears you've taken the Baltics. Hold on a sec, might make this work, just need to move the definition of warm water port further west.
NS stats are not used.
This nation does not reflect my IRL views on anything.
Sorry for any mistakes I make with regards to history while roleplaying in historical RPs. Also I am not a qualified historian or academic. None of the make-believe I do is likely to stand up to academic scrutiny.

Valdez Islands is my puppet.

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Fri May 08, 2020 8:50 pm

48hr Reservation Form
New Nation Name: The Kingdom of Rogaland & the Peninsula
Map: Claims of Southern Norway & Northern Denmark

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri May 08, 2020 8:52 pm

Danubian Peoples wrote:
Munkcestrian RepubIic wrote:48hr Reservation Form

Welp, there goes my idea for an app... Was planning to do Big Novgorod but it appears you've taken the Baltics. Hold on a sec, might make this work, just need to move the definition of warm water port further west.

Are you referring to my Swedish empire reservation? Just to let you know for world-building purposes I was planning on a Swedish victory (thought not total) in the Great Northern War.
Ontorisa wrote:48hr Reservation Form

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The Wanderer

Ontorisa
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ontorisa » Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:
Ontorisa wrote:48hr Reservation Form

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh hey Capile, was just gonna ...

nervously look at my drafts.

Dragos Bee
Minister

Postby Dragos Bee » Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Can I still post my draft app even if it infringes on an already-made reservation?

Again, it's Byzantium.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse