NATION

PASSWORD

LOTF Special Events Thread

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 07, 2020 10:14 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Porter: "So you believe that a known member of the Taliban or some other terrorist organisation should be able to buy tanks, guns and bombs aplenty, here in America? There are dangerous people out there, Governor, and you must realise that. There are terrorists, the mentally ill, extremists...What happens when they get their hands on guns?

There are reasonable regulations that are available that will not restrict the average citizen's gun rights. We must stop felons, terrorists, those sorts of people, from getting guns, at all costs.

This isn't about the Constitution, Governor, this is about the safety of the American citizen. If we do not stop these dangerous people from getting their hands on weapons, what civilisation will there be left to defend?"

Governor Jonah Prendergast Jr. of West Virginia

"Secretary Porter, I know there are dangerous people out there. A terrorist can't buy or use a gun from inside a prison cell, and a mentally ill person can't buy or use a gun from inside a secure institution. That's why we support law enforcement, and we support mental health response. What we don't support are measures that will inevitably and invariably be abused to take guns out of the hands of innocent Americans. These 'reasonable' regulations are already being used to deny the access of ordinary, law-abiding Americans to firearms. All it takes is one bad actor to use those 'reasonable' regulations to disarm the populace and leave them defenseless. Don't think about how you would apply those laws, Secretary, consider how Levi Murphy would. How Tim Westra would. How Malcolm Douglas would. That is the danger that faces Americans."

"I do not believe that the executive should be given full authority over this. I believe Congress, as a bipartisan measure, should legislate reasonable restrictions on terrorists, the mentally ill and felons. I think we should legislate, rather than give the executive direct authority, Governor."
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Moderator (Mike Oxlong): “Thank you Governor. We have a follow-up question for you, Secretary Porter. You’ve spoken about giving law enforcement the tools to stop violent crime before it occurs. Does this mean you are in favor of so-called ‘red flag laws,’ which would remove guns from owners deemed to pose a threat to themselves and others? And if so, does this put you at odds with the prevailing discourse within the Republican Party?”

Porter looked at his very large pile of notes, pulled up the gun section and looked at the heading of red flag laws. Too controversial. He would stray away from that.

"I think that government should be able to stop people from getting guns if they are deemed a threat to people, yes. We should stop the mentally ill, felons and people with extremist views from getting guns."

Mike Oxlong simply sat in silence and blinked while the Secretary rifled through and read his notes. “Some have argued that the government unilaterally deeming who is and is not ineligible to buy a gun is a dangerous precedent. Others, from a different perspective, have argued that enforcing ‘ red flag laws’ could be dangerous, citing situations like the Ruby Ridge and Waco sieges. What are your thoughts?”
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 07, 2020 10:17 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:"I do not believe that the executive should be given full authority over this. I believe Congress, as a bipartisan measure, should legislate reasonable restrictions on terrorists, the mentally ill and felons. I think we should legislate, rather than give the executive direct authority, Governor."

"Unless you're proposing that all firearms laws be handled by the Capitol Police, Secretary, I think you'll find that the enforcement of the law will invariably come down to agencies that answer to the Federal and State Executives."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 am

Sanabel wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Porter looked at his very large pile of notes, pulled up the gun section and looked at the heading of red flag laws. Too controversial. He would stray away from that.

"I think that government should be able to stop people from getting guns if they are deemed a threat to people, yes. We should stop the mentally ill, felons and people with extremist views from getting guns."

Mike Oxlong simply sat in silence and blinked while the Secretary rifled through and read his notes. “Some have argued that the government unilaterally deeming who is and is not ineligible to buy a gun is a dangerous precedent. Others, from a different perspective, have argued that enforcing ‘ red flag laws’ could be dangerous, citing situations like the Ruby Ridge and Waco sieges. What are your thoughts?”

"I think there should be restricting criteria. For example, there would only be certain criteria: mental health, extremist views and whatnot. It should be objective, rather than subjective. It would be done by judges, not by the executive branch."
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 07, 2020 10:19 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:"I do not believe that the executive should be given full authority over this. I believe Congress, as a bipartisan measure, should legislate reasonable restrictions on terrorists, the mentally ill and felons. I think we should legislate, rather than give the executive direct authority, Governor."

"Unless you're proposing that all firearms laws be handled by the Capitol Police, Secretary, I think you'll find that the enforcement of the law will invariably come down to agencies that answer to the Federal and State Executives."

"Yes, they answer to said executives, but Congress is the one that sets the rules."
Please Watch

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu May 07, 2020 10:23 am

Governor Jonah Prendergast Jr. of West Virginia

"Secretary Porter, I know there are dangerous people out there. A terrorist can't buy or use a gun from inside a prison cell, and a mentally ill person can't buy or use a gun from inside a secure institution. That's why we support law enforcement, and we support mental health response. What we don't support are measures that will inevitably and invariably be abused to take guns out of the hands of innocent Americans. These 'reasonable' regulations are already being used to deny the access of ordinary, law-abiding Americans to firearms. All it takes is one bad actor to use those 'reasonable' regulations to disarm the populace and leave them defenseless. Don't think about how you would apply those laws, Secretary, consider how Levi Murphy would. How Tim Westra would. How Malcolm Douglas would. That is the danger that faces Americans."

"I do not believe that the executive should be given full authority over this. I believe Congress, as a bipartisan measure, should legislate reasonable restrictions on terrorists, the mentally ill and felons. I think we should legislate, rather than give the executive direct authority, Governor."

Richardson: Secretary Porter... Congress has already, as a bipartisan measure, passed legislation creating the NICS System which helps prevent guns from getting into the hands of the very people you are talking about. In 2018, i'm happy to say they passed more legislation to help improve the system with the Fix NICS Act. So how is this legislation you're calling for any different?
Last edited by Dentali on Thu May 07, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 am

Sanabel wrote:Moderator (Mike Oxlong): “Thank you, Governor Prendergast, and Secretary Porter, that’s enough. We also have a follow-up question for Congresswoman Paulson. Congresswoman, you have been abstract. What policies would you propose to tackle the violence side of gun violence, as you’ve put it?”

Congresswoman Diane Paulson
Republican Presidential Primary Debate
FOX News

“I propose that the Federal Government give grants to psychologists and neurologists to determine the mental causes of mass shootings. Because connected to every shooter is a brain that clearly has the capacity for inhuman violence.”

“I also support tougher sentences for gun-related crimes. When it comes to regulations on gun ownership though, I believe that states should have the right to determine their own rules so long as it doesn’t violate the Constitution. Because what works for Texas, might not work for California, and what works for New York might not work for Wyoming. The ability to have legislative variance between states is part of the beauty of American democracy.”
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:"I think there should be restricting criteria. For example, there would only be certain criteria: mental health, extremist views and whatnot. It should be objective, rather than subjective. It would be done by judges, not by the executive branch."

"The right to bear arms being boiled down to the whims of (not-Ruth Bader Ginsburg), that is Bernard Porter's America. You heard it here first, folks. President Wolf has done fantastic work cleaning shop with the federal judiciary, but that work is far, far from over."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am

Dentali wrote:

Richardson: Secretary Porter... Congress has already, as a bipartisan measure, passed legislation creating the NICS System which helps prevent guns from getting into the hands of the very people you are talking about. In 2018, i'm happy to say they passed more legislation to help improve the system with the Fix NICS Act. So how is this legislation you're calling for any different?

Porter: "I am only stating my support for it, Governor. I was asked a question about principles and I answered it."
Please Watch

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am

Arnold Wolf Jr- Fox News Debate

“I’d like to begin by extending my condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the tragic shooting in Roanoke.

We have to admit, the United States does have an issue with gun violence and that some, reasonable, common-sense methods of tackling the issue must be introduced in order to protect innocent Americans being murdered within their communities.

That being said however, it is our duty as candidates for the highest political office in this nation to ensure that the inalienable right of the American people to bear arms as guaranteed by the Constitution is protected, and that the American people continue to have the ability to protect themselves from crime.

That is why I promise tonight that I will work across the aisle on common-sense legislation such as raising the age at which a person can purchase a firearm to 21 and instigating a review into sentencing guidelines for gun related crimes, to ensure that those who commit such vile murders and deprive Americans of their family members are dealt with fully.”
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:"I think there should be restricting criteria. For example, there would only be certain criteria: mental health, extremist views and whatnot. It should be objective, rather than subjective. It would be done by judges, not by the executive branch."

"The right to bear arms being boiled down to the whims of (not-Ruth Bader Ginsburg), that is Bernard Porter's America. You heard it here first, folks. President Wolf has done fantastic work cleaning shop with the federal judiciary, but that work is far, far from over."

"I'm sorry, you think the Supreme Court handles this sort of thing? How ignorant are you?"
Please Watch

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu May 07, 2020 10:28 am

Velahor wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Moderator (Mike Oxlong): “Thank you, Governor Prendergast, and Secretary Porter, that’s enough. We also have a follow-up question for Congresswoman Paulson. Congresswoman, you have been abstract. What policies would you propose to tackle the violence side of gun violence, as you’ve put it?”

FOX News

“I propose that the Federal Government give grants to psychologists and neurologists to determine the mental causes of mass shootings. Because connected to every shooter is a brain that clearly has the capacity for inhuman violence.”

“I also support tougher sentences for gun-related crimes. When it comes to regulations on gun ownership though, I believe that states should have the right to determine their own rules so long as it doesn’t violate the Constitution. Because what works for Texas, might not work for California, and what works for New York might not work for Wyoming. The ability to have legislative variance between states is part of the beauty of American democracy.”

“Do you believe, then, that the CDC should be allowed to study gun violence?”

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu May 07, 2020 10:28 am

"I'm sorry, you think the Supreme Court handles this sort of thing? How ignorant are you?"

Richardson looked at Porter somewhat confused

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu May 07, 2020 10:31 am

Moderator (Mike Oxlong): “Mr. Wolf, your father has similarly floated policy changes to prevent gun violence, only to backtrack under pressure. What makes your promises any different?”

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 am

Sanabel wrote:
Velahor wrote:
(Image)
FOX News

“Do you believe, then, that the CDC should be allowed to study gun violence?”

FOX News

“Yes I do. But I would prefer that it be handled through not just the CDC, but other public and private institutions as well. We have many smart Americans among us, and we need everyone to come together to solve this issue. We don’t have a gun problem, we have a violence problem, and it’s time we do something about the increase in acts of violence and aggression in America.”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu May 07, 2020 10:36 am

Moderator (Mike Oxlong): “Governor Richardson, in your remarks you alluded to so-called concealed carry measures, and efforts to increase school security. What are your thoughts on plans in some states and municipalities to arm teachers themselves?”

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu May 07, 2020 10:44 am

Sanabel wrote:Moderator (Mike Oxlong): “Governor Richardson, in your remarks you alluded to so-called concealed carry measures, and efforts to increase school security. What are your thoughts on plans in some states and municipalities to arm teachers themselves?”

Richardson: I believe that individual municipalities should be able to arm teachers if they decide that is the most effective way for them to protect their schools provided they volunteer and have appropriate training. Every municipality is different and their is no one size fits all answer. Personally after looking at the data, I think that teachers have enough on their plates and hiring an independent school resource officer is a better option.

As President I would enthusiastically support federal legislation to help school hire, train, and support school resource officers and other security measures. Overwhelmingly mass shooting happen in places without an ability to defend themselves, where security isn't strong or even present. While preventing shootings should be our first priority, we need to acknowledge that even our best efforts will not stop all shootings, we need to make sure that we secure our schools and other vulnerable targets.

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu May 07, 2020 10:47 am

Sanabel wrote:Mike Oxlong simply sat in silence and blinked while the Secretary rifled through and read his notes. “Some have argued that the government unilaterally deeming who is and is not ineligible to buy a gun is a dangerous precedent. Others, from a different perspective, have argued that enforcing ‘ red flag laws’ could be dangerous, citing situations like the Ruby Ridge and Waco sieges. What are your thoughts?”

"I think there should be restricting criteria. For example, there would only be certain criteria: mental health, extremist views and whatnot. It should be objective, rather than subjective. It would be done by judges, not by the executive branch."

FOX News

“If you’re talking about extremism, don’t forget that most mass shooters hold beliefs not unlike those of Secretary Porter. His totalitarianism and negative attitudes toward modern society are echoed in the beliefs of many mass shooters, and websites where his followers flock are often hotbeds for the ideologies that fuel the hate toward human life that mass shooters possess.”

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 07, 2020 10:51 am

Velahor wrote:

FOX News

“If you’re talking about extremism, don’t forget that most mass shooters hold beliefs not unlike those of Secretary Porter. His totalitarianism and negative attitudes toward modern society are echoed in the beliefs of many mass shooters, and websites where his followers flock are often hotbeds for the ideologies that fuel the hate toward human life that mass shooters possess.”

"I have never, nor am I, associated with any far-right groups.

The fact that you wish to slander me in such a way is truly shameful, Congresswoman. It is always the same accusation, the same old false lies...

You call me a Nazi, yet Governor Prendergast supports a court case that overturned racially-motivated murders. Am I really the fascist here, Congresswoman?"
Please Watch

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu May 07, 2020 10:57 am

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
FOX News

"I have never, nor am I, associated with any far-right groups.

The fact that you wish to slander me in such a way is truly shameful, Congresswoman. It is always the same accusation, the same old false lies...

You call me a Nazi, yet Governor Prendergast supports a court case that overturned racially-motivated murders. Am I really the fascist here, Congresswoman?"

FOX News

“It took nearly a month of media attention for you to denounce the Nazi-flag wavers at your rallies. You had plenty of opportunities to do so, but you waited until the pressure from party leaders was on. And I watch your speeches, you support big government economic and social policies, and you just expressed your willingness to walk all over Americans’ constitutional rights. As they say, If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Your campaign looks, swims, and quacks like a totalitarian extremist campaign.”

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu May 07, 2020 11:06 am

Velahor wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:"I have never, nor am I, associated with any far-right groups.

FOX News

“It took nearly a month of media attention for you to denounce the Nazi-flag wavers at your rallies. You had plenty of opportunities to do so, but you waited until the pressure from party leaders was on. And I watch your speeches, you support big government economic and social policies, and you just expressed your willingness to walk all over Americans’ constitutional rights. As they say, If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Your campaign looks, swims, and quacks like a totalitarian extremist campaign.”

"I think the only quackery going on is your madness, Congresswoman. You constantly make me out to be this far-right lunatic. It's always the same slander, the same dirty words.

You clearly have no understanding of fascism nor national socialism, Congresswoman. Maybe you should stop hurling insults at people and understand what you're talking about.

Enough lies. It's time for the truth."
Please Watch

Velahor
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Thu May 07, 2020 11:18 am

Velahor wrote:
(Image)
FOX News

"I think the only quackery going on is your madness, Congresswoman. You constantly make me out to be this far-right lunatic. It's always the same slander, the same dirty words.

You clearly have no understanding of fascism nor national socialism, Congresswoman. Maybe you should stop hurling insults at people and understand what you're talking about.

Enough lies. It's time for the truth."

FOX News

“It is time for the truth! And the truth is that your proposed policies are far from the constitutional conservatism that made America the greatest nation on earth. You’re calling for nationalistic and socialistic expansions of government on all fronts in a nation founded on limited government.”

“It is time for the truth! And the truth is that your policies are far from conservative or Republican in any sense of those words. Enough lies, Mr. Secretary, it’s time for the truth.”

She made eye contact with Porter then turned back to the audience.

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu May 07, 2020 11:21 am

Titanne
Minister

Founded: Feb 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Titanne » Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 am

-
Ridin' with Biden

Not yet radicalized by the internet, he/his, Flamboyant Homosexual, among other things.

Former Delegate and President of Thaecia. Current Delegate of Annecy.

Free Ward Marchers
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ward Marchers » Thu May 07, 2020 11:36 am

-
Senator Julie Littenbaum (D-WA)
Rep. Bobby Markoe (R-IL-15)

FREE THE UYGHURS, STOP CHINA

Social Democrat, Avid Marijuana Enthusiast, Proud Transgender Female, Gimme Healthcare Pls

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse