NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Flag Bracket (Congratulations to Valentine Z!)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 am

South Pacific - Drongonia Concept defeats Veskrona (submitted by Khoronzon) 11-8.
So, we have one of our top two, now let's find the other.

Semifinals Match 2: Drongonia - Alternate flag vs Valentine Z - Animated flag
Vote for your favorite flag and debate in the thread!

Combined using PowerPoint and Premiere for the 4 flags that make Valentine Z, well... VZ.

My opinion: Once again I'm tempted to vote for VZ just to keep the final round from being Drongonia vs Drongonia. But honestly, I like Drongonia's alternate flag more. It is the most creative of Drongonia's excellent submissions, and with excellent colors. The GIF is too complex, simply because it is four flags combined into one rather than a single great flag.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:53 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Semifinals Match 2: Drongonia - Alternate flag vs Valentine Z - Animated flag

This sucks in my eyes, as I kinda wanted it to the Alt-Drongonia flag in the finals vs someone else, rather than South Pacific vs Val Z or Me vs Me - but hey, I guess that's the way it goes. Thanks to everyone who's been voting for me thusfar!
Last edited by Drongonia on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Spiedska
Attaché

Founded: Mar 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Spiedska » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:58 am

Valentine Z. I dig animated flags.
★ Storyline and Characters ★
President Amanda K. Miller
My AO3 profile
| <コ:彡 The Federal Republic of New Spiedska <コ:彡 |
Many years ago, atom bombs flew across the Earth like metallic, deadly birds that would bring plague and destruction all over the globe. A nation that has historically stood in the face of adversity, New Spiedska finds herself re-born; However, to her dismay, her longlife sister-in-arms, the United States of America, suffered a much worse fate under the tides of anarchy and balkanization. Despite the loss of her ally, she will not falter; for she will ensure Liberty for All.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:58 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:My opinion: Once again I'm tempted to vote for VZ just to keep the final round from being Drongonia vs Drongonia. But honestly, I like Drongonia's alternate flag more. It is the most creative of Drongonia's excellent submissions, and with excellent colors. The GIF is too complex, simply because it is four flags combined into one rather than a single great flag.

Funny story... I am actually planning for an even more complex and lengthier GIF! :P

Not for use on NS as a flag because GIF has a size limit too; so... I might just put that on my factbook to show the evolution and many designs/colors I have done.

Hopefully I can do it soon because I can't wait to show it! Not for this competition, but just as a general thing. ♥
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:just to keep the final round from being Drongonia vs Drongonia.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:02 am

Drongonia wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Semifinals Match 2: Drongonia - Alternate flag vs Valentine Z - Animated flag

This sucks in my eyes, as I kinda wanted it to the Alt-Drongonia flag in the finals vs someone else, rather than South Pacific vs Val Z or Me vs Me - but hey, I guess that's the way it goes. Thanks to everyone who's been voting for me thusfar!

The matchups are indeed chosen randomly. I've only intervened so that tiebreakers come first and two flags from the same submitter aren't matched against one another. Sadly, I can't really make every matchup interesting or evenly matched without injecting my own aesthetic biases.

See you in the finals! Good luck!
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Glurponia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Glurponia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:05 am

It's looking fairly likely that VZ wins at this point, making the last round Drongonia's South Pacific vs. Valentine Z. What are your predictions there?

The Tri-Planetary Coalition. A medium power on the galactic stage, with the internal squabbles you might expect from three different species with no shared history at all. It seems to work, however, as our many exports and intellectual wealth fund the highest quality of living this side of Central.
Glurponia uses NS stats and more or less represents my political views. Alternatively, here's my Political Compass

Awesomeland012345
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 am

Will there be a new contest? I'd like to submit my flag if there is one.
☆ All hail the Holy Awesomeness of Awesomeland012345! ☆ Cheddar

The founder and delegate of Cheddar Dispatches alllll haiillll the tunaaaa Become a dual citizen today! Join Cheddar! :) pls pls pls Take a poll! shh... secret easter eggs!

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:13 am

Awesomeland012345 wrote:Will there be a new contest? I'd like to submit my flag if there is one.

There will be. Submissions will open at least two days from now, possibly later depending on how long it takes me to close this bracket and write the OP for the new one.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Zeritae
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 10, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Zeritae » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:17 am

Drongonia's alternate flag looks a lot like Alnobia's flag.
The United Republic of Zeritae Please don't send me telegrams - not A NA nor A.
Zurkerx wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:snip

One already exists: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=484632&start=25

And seeing we're over the page limit, I #ilock now. We can't let the umm, super virus get out now.
The Iron Wizards of Blacktower wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Direct the what what what what what again? I'm utterly baffled at what this has to do with the goodness of Friends With Benefits

Become enlightened through sex.
NS Stats are used.

Awesomeland012345
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:32 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Awesomeland012345 wrote:Will there be a new contest? I'd like to submit my flag if there is one.

There will be. Submissions will open at least two days from now, possibly later depending on how long it takes me to close this bracket and write the OP for the new one.

How would I link my flag if I submit it?
☆ All hail the Holy Awesomeness of Awesomeland012345! ☆ Cheddar

The founder and delegate of Cheddar Dispatches alllll haiillll the tunaaaa Become a dual citizen today! Join Cheddar! :) pls pls pls Take a poll! shh... secret easter eggs!

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:34 am

Awesomeland012345 wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:There will be. Submissions will open at least two days from now, possibly later depending on how long it takes me to close this bracket and write the OP for the new one.

How would I link my flag if I submit it?

I don't really care how you submit it so long as I am able to embed the image. If you just say "I would like to submit my flag" then I will accept that.

However, I would slightly prefer if you uploaded your flag to imgur or a similar service, so that if you change your flag I won't have to ask you for a new link.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Aurevbush
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 06, 2016

Postby Aurevbush » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Hmm lets see, Valentine Z for going the extra mile with the animation.

Or Drogonia's for its well blended colors and simple design.

God, you guys always have me on the fence, heheh.
Located on the planet Aramnah as a technological powerhouse in a diverse multispecies sci-fantasy universe (PMT/FT/whatev), Yankeew@nk
Young American male, awkward, metalhead and history buff
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF AUREVBUSH
Own Stats, Own Schedule

ACBC: BREAKING: President Len Zorra addresses the nation on the Kali Crisis.

Drongonia
Minister

Postby Drongonia » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:21 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:

Pretty interesting, I'll have to rustle up a couple of new flags to put in.

Glurponia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Glurponia » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:21 am

Final Round: South Pacific - Drongonia Concept vs Valentine Z - Animated flag

There's no poll...

The Tri-Planetary Coalition. A medium power on the galactic stage, with the internal squabbles you might expect from three different species with no shared history at all. It seems to work, however, as our many exports and intellectual wealth fund the highest quality of living this side of Central.
Glurponia uses NS stats and more or less represents my political views. Alternatively, here's my Political Compass

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:22 am

Semifinals Match 2: Valentine Z - Animated flag defeats Drongonia - Alternate flag 24-17.
Nice job getting into our final round, Valentine Z. This was also ridiculously good turnout - second highest in the bracket's history, in fact. Hope that turnout is this good for the final round.

I'll be sending out Khoronzon's prizes today. Drongonia and Valentine Z will receive theirs tomorrow.

And at last, the final round! It's only appropriate that it's a match between the two greatest submitters in this bracket. Who will get the Legendary, and whose flag gets the title of the best flag on NationStates?

Combined using PowerPoint and Premiere for the 4 flags that make Valentine Z, well... VZ.

My opinion: Between these two flags, which are both creative and beautiful, Valentine Z's GIF is more deserving of being called the best, with several designs that all represent the nation of Valentine Z perfectly. Drongonia's submission is excellent, but it is far from the best.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:22 am

There's no poll, sire.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:23 am

Glurponia wrote:

There's no poll...

-Astoria wrote:There's no poll, sire.

There is now. Please reload.

I submit the post and the edit to the OP at the same time, unfortunately one takes longer than the other.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Drongonia
Minister

Postby Drongonia » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:28 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Final Round: South Pacific - Drongonia Concept vs Valentine Z - Animated flag

Whatever happens from here on out I am extremely grateful... and surprised - to have gotten this far in the competition. Valentine Z has been an amazing nation/person to compete against, and may the best flag (or combination of flags) win!
Still sad I didn't get to put up the Alt-Drongonia flag, but oh well.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 am

All the best to those that have supported me and all! ♥

Of course, a defeat will be taken in stride, and I would be grateful nonetheless. So... thanks again! ^^ And thanks to Cosmic for this wonderful, wonderful contest.

With that said, @ Cosmic, any chance that you could make honorable mentions for my other 3 flags (even the one that ended up defeated in the first 64 brackets)? I would like to add that into a dispatch, so I would really be grateful if you can help me with that, while waiting for this round to be over.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:04 am

Valentine Z wrote:All the best to those that have supported me and all! ♥

Of course, a defeat will be taken in stride, and I would be grateful nonetheless. So... thanks again! ^^ And thanks to Cosmic for this wonderful, wonderful contest.

With that said, @ Cosmic, any chance that you could make honorable mentions for my other 3 flags (even the one that ended up defeated in the first 64 brackets)? I would like to add that into a dispatch, so I would really be grateful if you can help me with that, while waiting for this round to be over.

Sure, why not. I will telegram you when I am done.

(And I think you'll really like the trophy for your animated flag as well :) )
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Sure, why not. I will telegram you when I am done.

(And I think you'll really like the trophy for your animated flag as well :) )

Sweeeet, thanks, man! Looking forward to it! :D
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:16 am

Valentine Z - Animated flag defeats South Pacific - Drongonia Concept 23-10.
That's right: by the popular vote, Valentine Z has the best flag on NationStates!

The remaining prizes (for Valentine Z and Drongonia) will be given out today. If either of you see this before you receive your card, be patient; I'm working on it!

Awards Ceremony: Congratulations to Valentine Z, and their winning submission, Valentine Z - Animated flag!
The competition is finally over. There will be another one soon, but until then, let's celebrate and discuss what is next!

I'm going to be working on a dispatch to serve as a memory of this bracket, as well as the OP for the next version of the Flag Bracket. While I am doing that, I'd like to hear what you think! What changes should I make the next time around? What worked well? If you don't have constructive feedback, then you are welcome to just leave a compliment for myself, and for our winners.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:19 am

I knew Val Z's flag would win the first time I voted for it. But I expected Ssejekistan's flag to make it into the Top 16 at least.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Drongonia
Minister

Postby Drongonia » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:29 am

Congratulations to Valentine Z for winning the competition with a truly special flag, and thank you to all of those who voted for any of my flags throughout! I look forward to participating in the next one.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives