NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: American Political Roleplay (OOC II)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we shift the timescale during the Congressional Recess (July-September 2019)

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am

1. Yes, I want to shift the timescale to be 2 IC weeks per 1 OOC Week
78%
2. No, I want to keep the timescale as 1 IC week per 1 OOC week
22%

Total votes : 27

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:30 am

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:The American establishment have a severe hate boner for these folks apparently.

I mean, I'm more surprised by the degree of opposition he has, rather than the fact there is opposition.

Oh well, same with Trump. You had Evan McMullin, Gary Johnson, John Walsh...

I'm talking about IC examples.

I know. I was just referring to the fact I expected this level of hate of Porter IC.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:31 am

20-29% of the American electorate all to yourself ain't a bad position to be in, considering the fact it makes you either the 2nd or 3rd largest quadrant to be in.
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:32 am

I may have Dietrich offer his services as Acting Minority Whip
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:32 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Ffs porter is nothing like trump STOP COMPARING THEM

Populist strong social conservatives with high name recognition yet low favourability. Both polled at around 7% when they came into the race, accused of being Nazi sympathisers and authoritarians, are more left-wing economically than the Republican orthodoxy and are both prone to strong rhetoric and off-the-wall comments.

Trump is more socially liberal than any recent GOP president, just more nationalist. He entered as the socially liberal nationalist candidate opposed to the conservative globalist ted cruz.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:33 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:20-29% of the American electorate all to yourself ain't a bad position to be in, considering the fact it makes you either the 2nd or 3rd largest quadrant to be in.

politics is more than quadrants ffs
Last edited by Agarntrop on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Left Without Edge

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:33 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:20-29% of the American electorate all to yourself ain't a bad position to be in, considering the fact it makes you either the 2nd or 3rd largest quadrant to be in.

What do you mean by “quadrants”

You realize the electorate is divided by a million different fluid identities and inter subjective understandings, not just neat boxes on the political compass

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:35 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:I know. I was just referring to the fact I expected this level of hate of Porter IC.

Porter is getting better.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:35 am

Sanabel wrote:

You realize the electorate is divided by a million different fluid identities and inter subjective understandings, not just neat boxes on the political compass

(That's not to mention that the popular political compass test is - to put it mildly - fucking reductionist as all hell)

But yeah, there's a lot of other factors to consider. The power of partisanship as an inherent focus, national and state identity, severity of economic and religious identity and how those interweave... There are no blocs, more... amorphous clouds.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 am

Sanabel wrote:

Yes, I'm aware, but nobody in American politics, not in polling, not in analysis, gives a shit about this group.

I don't know why, I don't know how, they just don't. I find the occasional article skimming them or a poll of all 4 quadrants, but nothing else.

There is no info on these people. Literally none.
Please Watch

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:37 am

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Meel
Character Name: Matthew 'Matt' John Walker
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 40
Character Height: 5'9
Character Weight: 150 lbs
Character Position/Role/Job: Representative of Washington's 4th Congressional District, State Representative, Moses Lake City Councilmember
Appearance:

Character State of Origin: Oregon
Character State of Residence: Washington
Character Party Affiliation: Republican
Main Strengths: Young, Good Media Performer, Liked by the Tea Party wing of the Party, Wolfist
Main Weaknesses: Inexperienced, Seen as a Wolf Puppet, Sloppy with details, Confrontational
Biography:
Born on the 24th of August, 1980, Matthew John Walker was born into a middle-class family, with his mother being a Nurse and his father being an electrician. He was born in Portland, Oregon, and lived there for most of his childhood. He did OK in school, with him passing Middle School and the first few years of High school. However, after his second year in High school, Matt was forced to move to Washington due to the declining health of his grandparents. He would start his final years in Moses Lake High School, with him fitting in pretty easily. While in Moses Lake High School, he would become a prominent member of both the Key Club and the Track Team.

Matthew would graduate and go on to attend the University of Washington, studying Civil and Environmental Engineering. He enjoyed the major as it was quite hands-on and he enjoyed working with his hands. Also during this time, his grandfather would pass away, leaving him a small amount of money and his hardware store. Matthew was devastated as he had grown close with his grandfather since he moved to Washington. He would continue his studies in the University of Washington and graduate in 2001. He would return to Moses Lake and immediately began running the Hardware Store, which would continue to grow and become his main source of income.

2004 would come around, with Matt enjoying a relatively easy life. This would also be the year that Matt decided to run for City Council as he believed the taxes on small business was too high. He would get elected after it being a close race and begin his term on the city council. While sitting on City Council, he has seen a voice for small business, with him proposing many amendments to lower business tax and council rates during his tenure. He would serve another four years on the city council before running for the State House in 2012 for the 13th District. The primary was close, but due to how well he was known within Moses City, Matt pulled ahead, winning the primary and later winning the seat. He would also actively campaign for the not-Romney during 2012.

While in the State House, Matt would build up connections with senior GOP members and with lobbyists. He would also meet with small business interest groups. Matt would also be a critic of newly elected Governor Anne Caldwell, with him taking issue with the first budget she tried to pass. He viewed the first budget as 'overspending', stating that if the budget passed it would be disastrous on the middle class and small business. He would later vote for the bipartisan budget. During this time, he would often appear on the media, speaking on any network that would air him. Matt would also try many times to cut corporation tax, however, due to the composition of the State House, these bills would rarely make it out of committee.

After two terms in the Washington House of Representatives, Matt decided to run to the newly vacated 4th Congressional District. Again, this Primary would be contested, with an attorney and a Mayor running for the seat, however, due to Matt's connections with the State House GOP and the media connections he made, he would come ahead of his main opponent, the Mayor of a town. Matt would constantly poll higher than the mayor and gain the endorsements of some former colleges in Moses Lake. Come election day, Matt would gain 51% of the vote, with him taking the seat.

While in the House of Representatives, Matt has been a Wolf ally, with him supporting the President in nearly all of his decisions and bills. He would become a critic of the Democrats, saying that the Democrats are trying to tarnish a President that was elected for the people and by the people. He supported the Wolf Tax Cuts, saying in an interview, small businesses throughout America will be cheering tonight, knowing that they no longer have to support failed Government programs brought in by the previous administration and that the US will likely see an Economic Boom.

Matt would like to work his way up the Party leadership within the House of Representatives. He also plans to support Small Business wherever he can

Other Info: Married, has a few children. Serves on the Small Business Committee. Sponsored the Small Business ACE Act. Sits with Republican Study Committee

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Meel x

Do Not Remove: 84721
Last edited by Meelducan on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:38 am

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Sanabel wrote:What do you mean by “quadrants”

(That's not to mention that the popular political compass test is - to put it mildly - fucking reductionist as all hell)

But yeah, there's a lot of other factors to consider. The power of partisanship as an inherent focus, national and state identity, severity of economic and religious identity and how those interweave... There are no blocs, more... amorphous clouds.

I do have the amorphous clouds (figure 3 on that Voter Study Group study I keep linking), since it plots all people surveyed's position, meaning you can find the vague cloud areas that you need to.

But shit, nobody ever mentions these people outside of maybe offhand references or something.
Please Watch

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:39 am

yes, you could honestly be in any of them
Left Without Edge

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:40 am

I do have the amorphous clouds (figure 3 on that Voter Study Group study I keep linking), since it plots all people surveyed's position, meaning you can find the vague cloud areas that you need to.

But shit, nobody ever mentions these people outside of maybe offhand references or something.

It gets harder when you account for how seriously people consider issues when they vote. It's like how Burgun doubled down on English as the national language. Yes, it's something that a vast majority of people support, however, it also has tremendously little weight when it comes to influencing their vote next to other factors.
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:42 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:I do have the amorphous clouds (figure 3 on that Voter Study Group study I keep linking), since it plots all people surveyed's position, meaning you can find the vague cloud areas that you need to.

It gets harder when you account for how seriously people consider issues when they vote. It's like how Burgun doubled down on English as the national language. Yes, it's something that a vast majority of people support, however, it also has tremendously little weight when it comes to influencing their vote next to other factors.

Politicians can make issues more important simply by amplifying them. But even then, Porter's talking about the more valued issues like gay marriage, abortion, unemployment and poverty head on, so...
Please Watch

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:43 am

Politicians can make issues more important simply by amplifying them. But even then, Porter's talking about the more valued issues like gay marriage, abortion, unemployment and poverty head on, so...

It's a very similar lane to that which Prendergast is running in. Porter definitely put a way better foot forward when he wreathed his socialist leanings in Christianity rather than left-wing talking points. Presentation is everything. That's why I was confused when Westra used Republican talking points to go after Dayton's healthcare plan.
Neoliberal

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:46 am

Yes, I'm aware, but nobody in American politics, not in polling, not in analysis, gives a shit about this group.

I don't know why, I don't know how, they just don't. I find the occasional article skimming them or a poll of all 4 quadrants, but nothing else.

Maybe it’s because they are not one coherent political bloc lol

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:48 am

Sanabel wrote:

African-Americans are, as far as I understand, typically quite socially conservative but like hell will they vote Republican.
Neoliberal

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:49 am

Sanabel wrote:Maybe it’s because they are not one coherent political bloc lol

African-Americans are, as far as I understand, typically quite socially conservative but like hell will they vote Republican.

Yep, and they are probably a huge chunk of this group, but yet they would never be lumped in with others like Hispanic Catholics and white voters without university degrees who are also within the group

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:50 am

Sanabel wrote:

That's the problem. Neither are the conservative right, nor the socially liberal left, yet you can still find information on their demography (very detailed, in fact), when the former is actually smaller than the authoritarian quadrant.

I've honestly resorted to just assuming these people are a mix of white working-class, with a few HIspanic working-class and evangelical members thrown in. I've also made the assumption that these people are located in the Deep South, Industrial Midwest/Rust Belt and Middle America, but are rare everywhere else.
Please Watch

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:51 am

Sanabel wrote:Maybe it’s because they are not one coherent political bloc lol

Yep. That's one of the problems that Porter has. Many of the people who agree with him on the issues are turned off by the R next to his name, his association with Wolf and his Islamophobic remarks.
Please Watch

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am

Looking at the VSG study (which parallels this with whether they voted for Trump or Clinton in 2016), it can be safely assumed that the demographic is largely white working-class, with black and Hispanic members on the other side. Even if the 6% of people within the quadrant that voted Clinton are all minority (which is doubtful, to say the least), there's still a whopping chunk of Obama ---> Trump voters right there.
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Watch

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:53 am

AfAm's are SocCons?. Really? In which aspect?
Left Without Edge

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am

Fig. 14 of the same study shows that Trump voters with under $50k income do lean in the authoritarian/populist quadrant on the issues, so it can be safely assumed that said quadrant is majority white working-class.
Please Watch

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:56 am

Agarntrop wrote:AfAm's are SocCons?. Really? In which aspect?

Conservative Christianity. Coretta Scott King, for example, found herself estranged from many of her former civil rights colleagues when she came out for LGBT rights.
Neoliberal

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:58 am

Agarntrop wrote:AfAm's are SocCons?. Really? In which aspect?

It’s not that crazy, they just tend to have a less favorable view of homosexuality, tend to be more Christian, and (in some places) abortion than the rest of the Democratic Party

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse