NATION

PASSWORD

The Medieval South [OOC/Sign-Ups]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:17 am

Sanabel wrote:
Sarderia wrote:So there would be no official connection between Alexandria and Washington, but could business relations and such still be maintained? Aside from military affairs of course.

I don’t see how that would work. Alexandria would probably be less of a city and more of a fortress if the Union has a strong presence across the river- heavily fortified.

It’s not like the Union and former CSA have an open border and customs union

I guess I'll edit the app then. Is there no other large cities in Virginia still unclaimed (besides Richmond)? I feel like Richmond was the capital and cultural center of the Confederacy, and for General Lee's family - much less the branch who married with an European banking nobility - is unrealistic to hold Richmond.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

The Baton Rouge Free State
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Baton Rouge Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 am

Sarderia wrote:
Sanabel wrote:I don’t see how that would work. Alexandria would probably be less of a city and more of a fortress if the Union has a strong presence across the river- heavily fortified.

It’s not like the Union and former CSA have an open border and customs union

I guess I'll edit the app then. Is there no other large cities in Virginia still unclaimed (besides Richmond)? I feel like Richmond was the capital and cultural center of the Confederacy, and for General Lee's family - much less the branch who married with an European banking nobility - is unrealistic to hold Richmond.

Right you are it would be unrealistic. The only two other Major Towns at current are Williamsburg and Charlottesville; Fredericksburg is of descent size but at this point its still kinda small. Theres also the somewhat large suburb of Petersburg outside of Richmond, which you could take, but idk how large and developed it is at this point in history.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:08 am

We could probably use a detailed map of the Union/Confederacy border, especially in the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay area.
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:11 am

Ideal Britain wrote:Has my app been addressed yet?

Also is it feasible for Louisanna to have a black Royal guardsman?
(Idea for another character)

No, the royal family would hire neither freedmen nor slaves as royal guards. The Royal Guard/New Orleans garrison is composed of a continuation of the elite Louisiana Tigers, as the Bourbons, as one can imagine, are rather paranoid when it comes to security.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:13 am

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:
Sarderia wrote:I guess I'll edit the app then. Is there no other large cities in Virginia still unclaimed (besides Richmond)? I feel like Richmond was the capital and cultural center of the Confederacy, and for General Lee's family - much less the branch who married with an European banking nobility - is unrealistic to hold Richmond.

Right you are it would be unrealistic. The only two other Major Towns at current are Williamsburg and Charlottesville; Fredericksburg is of descent size but at this point its still kinda small. Theres also the somewhat large suburb of Petersburg outside of Richmond, which you could take, but idk how large and developed it is at this point in history.

I think I'll settle with Petersburg given it was the second-largest city of Virginia at the Civil War. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:32 am

Arthur Henry Rotschild Lee - (1860 - Present)

Account Name: Sarderia
Motives: Arthur is still somewhat reckless and daring in managing the financial activity of the Bank, given his young age. But his primary motives, if all, is not very different than his father's would ever be; creating more profit for the Bank, and keep the status quo of the Confederacy remaining unchanged.
Background:

Salomon James de Rotschild immigrated from France to the United States in 1850. As a young man, according to the Goncourt brothers, he squandered "a million on the stock exchange in attempted secrecy from his father" and was exiled to Frankfurt, where he spent two years keeping books. Rothschild was dispatched to America, where he was supposed to help advance the family's banking interests. He set up a branch of the Rotschild family bank on New York in 1851, and started building up the bank's investments in America. The Rotschild bank financed many commercial activities of American businessmen, such as the drilling of oil wells and steel mines in Pennsylvania, opening of coal mines in West Virginia, and investing in newly-bulit steel and textile factories across the county. It is at this point when he came in contact with Mary Ann Lee, the daughter of Henry Lee IV, a historian and scholar who was brother to US Army General Robert E. Lee. Despite being famous for his great success in the Mexican-American War, Robert Lee was a known industrialist who wished to expand the sector in his home state of Virginia. Sensing great opportunity to gain from such a high-ranking official, in 1854 Solomon moved his residence to Richmond and redirected the bank offices in Pennsylvania and New England to Virginia, except for the branch in New York which was still open. This greatly favored himself in the Virginia elite society, as another major financial center of business was opened in their home state, as it gave them a larger holding over the United States' finances. Salomon eventually married with Mary Ann Lee in 1855, in the traditional Southern Baptist rite, cementing his position as a member of the larger Lee family and the Virginia aristocracy as a whole. In 1856, Mary Ann gave birth to their only son, Arthur Rotschild Lee - Salomon decided to let him keep the matrilineal name in Arthur's last name due to respect for the family, which was the prime aristocrat dynasty of Virginia at the time. The next year saw the transformation of the Bank - it was merged with other financial institutions, including Mary Ann's large inheritance trust, creating the Rotschild and Lee Virginia Banking Company - more known as the Virginia Bank nowadays. He bought a large estate of Mary Ann's father's in Petersburg, a short ride from Richmond, and moved there with his wife.

From 1859 to 1861, Salomon traveled extensively in the United States, Canada and Cuba. He was an eyewitness to the events leading up to the American Civil War. He regarded Abraham Lincoln as an extremist and his political sympathies lay with the Confederate cause, and the Virginia Bank increasingly supplied the state governments of Virginia and South Carolina to arm themselves. Salomon went back to France and invited one of his cousins to take over operations in New York - splitting the Manhattan Rotschild Bank from the Virginia Bank. Fearing for the outbreak of war, Salomon entrusted General Lee with the care of Arthur and his wife, and he bought an estate in Washington as their temporary home. During this time, he would often teach Arthur how to hold a revolver. Eventually, the American Civil War breaks out in 1861, and Salomon largely served as the financial adviser and backer to President Jefferson Davis. He gave generous loans to the Confederacy to buy arms, and even brokered arms deals and loans from the European branch of the Rotschild banks. This is one of the factors that helped their significant increase of wealth in the 1870s later.

Eventually, Salomon was called into service, as well as the other prominent businessmen and aristocrats in Virginia, when General Robert E. Lee formed the Army of Northern Virginia in 1862. He took part at the Seven Days' Battles which drove Union General McClellan's forces from Richmond. Fortunately, Salomon was on a temporary absent when the news of Antietam's stalemate and President Lincoln's Emanicipation Proclamation was released into the country. That provided whatever little time he had to restructure the loans he had given to President Davis, and requesting additional assistance from Europe, in case both the North and South needed more funds to finance both their wars and their economies, especially free of slavery. Salomon took a hundred men and rejoined General Lee's forces before the Battle of Gettysburg. Known as the most famous battle, some claimed - as well as the battle with most casualties in the Civil War, Salomon barely escaped with his life, being shot and wounded multiple times. Due to the conditions at his home being barely peaceful either - their home are plagued by attacks from Union forces frequently - he retreated from the war to fortify the mansion. Ultimately, the South won the Civil War, and Salomon managed to gain the title of Viscount at the political chaos that ensued. He died of his wounds and bad health in 1870, five years after the end of the Civil War. The Virginia Bank was transferred into Mary Ann's (and the Lee family) authority, and later, Arthur's. The debts of the Confederacy fully paid, now Arthur would not miss a chance to expand his investments, once he inherited his father's titles.

Titles/Positions: Viscount of Petersburg, President of the Rotschild & Lee Virginia Banking Company
Holdings: City of Petersburg, Banks in Richmond, Petersburg and throughout the Confederacy, East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia (ETV&G) Railroad, Richmond and Danville Railroad, significantly large amounts of Gold reserves
Politics: Arthur is keen to estabilish the family business as the premier banking institution of the South, and is very generous in money-lending towards many businesses throughout the south. In particular, he wished to bulid further cooperations with other Virginian business barons, such as James Dillard. He also had an interest in the immigration of French and German citizens to Virginia. Politically he is somewhat pro-Union and the Republican Party in general, although he rarely did express these political opinions publicly.
Faith: Southern Baptist Church

Saranidia
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 am

The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:Can black people vote in Louisiana?
Also do they recruit black soldiers?

when u asking if people can vote but the point of a game is its a feudal monarchy

England had a parliament since the 1260s.
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)

Vote Lisa Nandy

Copy this into your sig if you know sex and gender are different and did not fail biology.

RIP grandpa kitchen

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:09 am

Khasinkonia wrote:

Also is it feasible for Louisanna to have a black Royal guardsman?
(Idea for another character)

No, the royal family would hire neither freedmen nor slaves as royal guards. The Royal Guard/New Orleans garrison is composed of a continuation of the elite Louisiana Tigers, as the Bourbons, as one can imagine, are rather paranoid when it comes to security.

What about police, are there black police? There were historically in the lower-ranks of New Orleans Police.

Also I thought slavery was banned within New Orleans in this?
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:12 am

Ideal Britain wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:No, the royal family would hire neither freedmen nor slaves as royal guards. The Royal Guard/New Orleans garrison is composed of a continuation of the elite Louisiana Tigers, as the Bourbons, as one can imagine, are rather paranoid when it comes to security.

What about police, are there black police? There were historically in the lower-ranks of New Orleans Police.

In New Orleans yes, but not outside of it. There may be black police, but I doubt there would be many of them hired.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:12 am

Saranidia wrote:
The Baton Rouge Free State wrote:when u asking if people can vote but the point of a game is its a feudal monarchy

England had a parliament since the 1260s.

Elected by nobles, not by commoners. Also, I believe it is mentioned that Louisiana in this RP is an absolute monarchy in typical Bourbon style.
Last edited by Dahyan on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:19 am

Dahyan wrote:
Saranidia wrote:England had a parliament since the 1260s.

Elected by nobles, not by commoners. Also, I believe it is mentioned that Louisiana in this RP is an absolute monarchy in typical Bourbon style.

As an addendum, it has a unitary Estate, not three, but this small collection of people is, in every way, shape, and form, essentially a council of elected advisors to the crown who have no direct way of exerting authority.

Enlightened absolutist through and through.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:

In New Orleans yes, but not outside of it. There may be black police, but I doubt there would be many of them hired.

So could I apply with another character who's black police patrolman in New Orleans?

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:23 am

Ideal Britain wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:In New Orleans yes, but not outside of it. There may be black police, but I doubt there would be many of them hired.

So could I apply with another character who's black police patrolman in New Orleans?

Yes, although given that racism is still running strong, I wouldn't expect any assignments that aren't either boring, prohibitively dangerous, or a combination of both.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 am

Does the New Orleans Garrison only house palace guards etc. or does it house other soldiers?
Also does the Royal guard only guard palaces, royal people etc. Or do they have broader duties as an elite Regiment like the Scots Guards?
Not intending to make 3 characters just unsure on whether to make a lowly Black patrolmen or a white soldier/officer.
Last edited by Ideal Britain on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:28 am

Ideal Britain wrote:Does the New Orleans Garrison only house palace guards etc. or does it house other soldiers?
Also does the Royal guard only guard palaces, royal people etc. Or do they have broader duties as an elite Regiment like the Scots Guards?

The Royal Guard is has a regiment solely devoted to guarding the Royal Domain and centre of the city, but the remainder of the Guard serves as an elite unit based out of New Orleans.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:32 am

Ideal Britain wrote:Does the New Orleans Garrison only house palace guards etc. or does it house other soldiers?
Not intending to make 3 characters just unsure on whether to make a lowly Black patrolmen or a white soldier/officer.

Are you confirmed as having to be in New Orleans? I can think of some uses for a black man in a marital capacity.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Vienna Eliot
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2018

Postby Vienna Eliot » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:43 am

Sarderia wrote:OP, I just want to confirm that the app for Captain Kirkland has been dropped and replaced with the app for Viscount Lee in Virginia. Is the new app accepted?

Noted; yes.

Yes. It was not accepted.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:47 am

Khasinkonia wrote:

The Royal Guard is has a regiment solely devoted to guarding the Royal Domain and centre of the city, but the remainder of the Guard serves as an elite unit based out of New Orleans.

Is the remainder of the Guard called the New Orleans Guard?

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Postby Khasinkonia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:55 am

Ideal Britain wrote:
Khasinkonia wrote:The Royal Guard is has a regiment solely devoted to guarding the Royal Domain and centre of the city, but the remainder of the Guard serves as an elite unit based out of New Orleans.

Is the remainder of the Guard called the New Orleans Guard?

The unit as a whole is called the Royal Guard. The regiment dedicated to guarding the Royal Domain is called the Garde du Domaine Royal, while the remainder have a regiment for each of the 9 primary districts(Named accordingly. Ex: Garde du 1ème Quartier)

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:01 pm

OP, we need a more comprehensive map of the CSA and USA borders. It's very hard to visualize the boundaries in dispute in New Mexico terriftory and Maryland
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 pm

James Longstreet - (1821- ???)

Account Name: Dentali
Motives: Stability of the Empire, Growth of Georgia, Alliance with Stonewall Jackson
Background:

General Robert E Lee’s “Old War Horse”, General James Longstreet was one of the best generals of the American Civil War, serving under Lee in the Eastern Theater. He was born in South Carolina in 1821 and raised in Georgia on a cotton plantation. He was sent to school in Atlanta as a boy and was a very active child growing up in rural frontier Georgia. He was coarse and unruly until obtaining a West Point appointment to the United States Military Academy in 1838.

Longstreet was a poor student graduating in the bottom third of his class when he graduated in ‘42, after which he served in the US military. He saw action in the Mexican-American War, serving with distinction in a number of battles. After which he married and had 10 children. He would serve in numerous frontier posts fighting natives american tribes and in 1861 was a paymaster for the United States Army.

He was against the secession but after the Battle of Fort Sumter he resigned his commission and joined the Confederacy. During the War he served with distinction under General Robert E Lee becoming his most trusted commander and rising to the rank of Major General. He played a key role in the victory at Gettysburg and subsequent campaigns, remaining on the strategic offensive and the tactical defensive.

After the war he stayed in command for a short period before retiring back to Georgia where he received a hero’s welcome. And after the South began descending into feudalism he ran for Governor and won the popular vote. The incumbent Governor declared himself Duke of Georgia and refused to concede, which Longstreet answered by raising an army of Civil War veterans to overthrow him.

Longstreet has been Duke of Georgia since 1870 when the title was granted by the Emperor and has led the state to much prosperity compared to the rest of the Confederacy. Savannah has grown greatly as a trade hub for the Confederacy and Georgia itself has become a Constitutional Monarchy. Longstreet has done his best to stay out of the struggles outside of Georgia and has married off most of his 10 children to secure vital alliances in the state.

While the state is still largely agrarian, Longstreet has made efforts to industrialize and while by no means ideal, its industrial power is stronger than most other states and is growing. While Longstreet supports the emancipation of slaves it has proved politically impossible, he has however been able to secure a great many rights and privileges for the enslaved beyond what most other states have done, and he has been slowly building support for emancipation.

Militarily his standing army has atrophied with his focus mainly being on the economy, but the navy has remained strong in order to protect Georgia’s trading empire. He has expressed frustration with the Emperor on several occasions privately but has been fiercely loyal in public, on multiple occasions leading troops in his name and answering any request of himself and Georgia.

He has a wife, 10 children and 3 grandchildren with more on the way. He is well loved and respected by the military and merchant class but has a tenuous relation with the plantation owners in his state.

Titles/Positions: Duke of Georgia
Holdings: Duchy of Georgia, Cities of Atlanta, and Savannah, and the counties of Chatham, and Fulton
Politics: Fairly moderate and pragmatist
Faith: Presbyterian
Last edited by Dentali on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Vienna Eliot
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2018

Postby Vienna Eliot » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:37 pm

Longstreet and Lee are accepted. Would everyone do me a favor and check if all your characters are listed in the OP and, if not, link to them?
Last edited by Vienna Eliot on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016

Postby Alaroma » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Union Princes wrote:OP, we need a more comprehensive map of the CSA and USA borders. It's very hard to visualize the boundaries in dispute in New Mexico terriftory and Maryland

I think we’re treading the difference between what the borders say on the map, and what’s actually happening. The Union seems to not entirely respect those de Jure borders, which might be the point.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Vienna Eliot wrote:Longstreet and Lee are accepted. Would everyone do me a favor and check if all your characters are listed in the OP and, if not, link to them?

Benicio "Benny" Thomas de Tejada - (1839 - Present)

Account Name: Lux Pulchrae
Occupation: Whatever job needs working/occasional bounty hunter
Motives: Money and eventually make it east and go back to his family's homeland
Background:

Born in 1839 to a family of New Mexican lowly ranchers out west. Around the age of 19, while fetching provisions in the nearby town, Benny returned to see the ranch burnt, cattle stolen and his family killed by an Apache raid. Burying his family, he attempted to rebuild the ranch shortly after, but to no avail. Hearing tales throughout the years of his father's family, the Tejadas, who were a wealthy merchant and expeditionary family in their home country of Lux Pulchrae, Benny kept those tales in his heart and mind in the decades following his family's massacre, deeply wanting to return to home he never knew.

Over the years he's worked many jobs and killed many men, luckily he avoided the war, having no real care for the south and rarely seeing a slave. As the southern empire rose, he did as he always had, working odd jobs and bringing in any bounty that was offered to him.

A stereotypical silent type with no patient for nonsense and no love for Indians either, Benny's had enough of America and is fixing to get himself to the East Coast and the first ship back to Europe.

Titles/Positions: other than "Benny", none
Holdings: a horse named Rodrigo, a revolver, a bolt rifle.
Politics: none
Faith: Roman Catholic, if there's a church nearby

A legal, or less than legal, battle for railroad rights would be interesting

Sarderia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Vienna Eliot wrote:Longstreet and Lee are accepted. Would everyone do me a favor and check if all your characters are listed in the OP and, if not, link to them?

Thank you very much OP, all of them are listed.
Lux Pulchrae wrote:

Benicio "Benny" Thomas de Tejada - (1839 - Present)

Account Name: Lux Pulchrae
Occupation: Whatever job needs working/occasional bounty hunter
Motives: Money and eventually make it east and go back to his family's homeland
Background:

Born in 1839 to a family of New Mexican lowly ranchers out west. Around the age of 19, while fetching provisions in the nearby town, Benny returned to see the ranch burnt, cattle stolen and his family killed by an Apache raid. Burying his family, he attempted to rebuild the ranch shortly after, but to no avail. Hearing tales throughout the years of his father's family, the Tejadas, who were a wealthy merchant and expeditionary family in their home country of Lux Pulchrae, Benny kept those tales in his heart and mind in the decades following his family's massacre, deeply wanting to return to home he never knew.

Over the years he's worked many jobs and killed many men, luckily he avoided the war, having no real care for the south and rarely seeing a slave. As the southern empire rose, he did as he always had, working odd jobs and bringing in any bounty that was offered to him.

A stereotypical silent type with no patient for nonsense and no love for Indians either, Benny's had enough of America and is fixing to get himself to the East Coast and the first ship back to Europe.

Titles/Positions: other than "Benny", none
Holdings: a horse named Rodrigo, a revolver, a bolt rifle.
Politics: none
Faith: Roman Catholic, if there's a church nearby

A legal, or less than legal, battle for railroad rights would be interesting

I could have some potential jobs for a bounty hunter...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse