NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Ctrl+S us from the Economy!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

[ABANDONED] Ctrl+S us from the Economy!

Postby Ko-oren » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 am

[TITLE] Ctrl+S us from the economy!

[DESCRIPTION] High-frequency traders selling stock in the recent hottest start-up company has triggered a flash crash. Markets recover from these quickly in a normal situation. However, automated trading systems all over @@NATION@@ started buying and selling stock haphazardly as a response, unimpeded by circuit breakers and other countermeasures. This resulted in a lasting economic depression.

[VALIDITY] may not have "No Internet" and "No Computers" (and "AI Planning"?)

[OPTIONS]
[VALIDITY] all
"I can't believe this!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@ while waving around a half-completed form for unemployment benefits. "I lost my job, and so did about half my neighborhood! All because automated trading created a recession! Earning a few extra @@CURRENCY@@ is more important than people's livelihoods, apparently. Get rid of these computer stock brokers, and let human reason prevail once again!"
[EFFECT] The economy never truly recovers as traders are always a few seconds too slow.

[VALIDITY] all
"The system is always right! Maybe we just haven't pushed this far enough yet," says Minister of Automated Finance @@RANDOMNAME@@. "What if the entire economy was automated? It would be able to balance the stock market with the rest of society. Help programmers get degrees in finance, and make financial experts enroll in programming classes! Integrate the census into this system! It'll revolutionize the economy!"
[EFFECT] the HAL-conomy decided that the Minister of Automated Finance now works as a truck driver.

[TITLE] Ctrl+S us from the economy!

[DESCRIPTION] Daytraders dumping stock in the recent hottest start-up company have triggered a sudden, minor economic downturn. This was not so bad, until automated trading systems started buying and selling stock haphazardly as a response, creating a very real economic depression.

[VALIDITY] may not have "No Internet" and "No Computers" (and "AI Planning"?)

[OPTIONS]
[VALIDITY] all
"I can't believe this!" yells @@RANDOMNAME@@ while applying for unemployment benefits. "I lost my job, and so did about half my entire neighborhood! All because automated trading created a recession! Earning a few extra @@CURRENCY@@ is more important than people's livelihoods. Get rid of these computer stock brokers, and let human reason prevail once again!"
[EFFECT] The economy never truly recovers as traders are always a few seconds behind the times.

[VALIDITY] all
"The system is always right! Maybe we just haven't pushed this far enough yet," says Minister of Automated Finance @@RANDOMNAME@@. "What if the entire economy was automated? It would be able to balance the stock market with the rest of society. Help programmers get degrees in finance, and make sure financial experts get programming classes! Integrate the census into this system. It'll revolutionize the economy!"
[EFFECT] the HAL-conomy decided that the Minister of Automated Finance now works as a truck driver.
Last edited by Ko-oren on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:08 am

Has potential- needs a lot of work.

I recommend you look into much more how ai has been affecting the stock market and the real world effects. Look up things like flash crashes.

Then you may be better to take a crack at this.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:19 am

I didn't want to put too much jargon in as to keep the text as accessible as possible.
Thanks!

I've edited the description and the options, what about this?
Last edited by Ko-oren on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:45 am

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:08 am

What are this draft's chances with issue #1130 already featuring a flash crash? That one refers to an intentional act, this one is about an accident.

Also, going forward, is my writing suited for issues, or should I try a different style?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:07 am

Ko-oren wrote:Also, going forward, is my writing suited for issues?

Yes, it definitely is. Keep trying and I feel you will very soon have a good issue going in this forum.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 am

How does this automated trading work anyway?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:53 am

Baggieland wrote:
Ko-oren wrote:Also, going forward, is my writing suited for issues?

Yes, it definitely is. Keep trying and I feel you will very soon have a good issue going in this forum.

Thanks! I'll keep reading other proposals while I work on something that's closer to my expertise.

Australian rePublic wrote:How does this automated trading work anyway?

Being able to complete a trade a few seconds (or even milliseconds) before your competitor yields a little extra profit. There are a few ways to outspeed the competition, but probably the biggest method is algorithmic trading. This means that you feed a computer system conditions for when to buy and sell, and the computer will then scan markets for those conditions (all very simplified). Obviously, self-learning systems are teaching themselves rules as well. As a result, firms are capable of making emotion-less, high frequency, diverse investments in a matter of milliseconds.

Algorithmic trading
Automated trading system

Which can go wrong, and then you have something like this. The premise of my issue was basically that, but then where a nation's economy is plunged in a lasting recession instead of recovering in the space of about 30 minutes.
Last edited by Ko-oren on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?