NATION

PASSWORD

World Baseball Classic 48 [Everything Thread]

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:01 am

Sarzonia finally got its first sweep of the current World Baseball Classic, breaking out the brooms against Bolgano and putting two games between them and Lisander.

How they got there will be the stuff of legend.

Sarzonia pulled away with an 8-5 victory in Game 1 of the series against Bolgano and used some late inning magic to turn the tide in Game 3, but all the talk about this series will be about Game 2.

The Stars (15-9) took an early 2-0 lead courtesy of a two-run double by catcher Matt Lopez, who picked on a 3-1 fastball out over the plate for just his first extra base hit and third RBI of the tournament thus far.

Jamie Pearson took it from there for most of the rest of the way, tossing just 96 pitches through eight innings. He talked Manager Geoff Yancey into letting him pitch the ninth. He got two quick ground ball outs, but second baseman Ian Danielson booted a routine grounder through his legs to keep Bolgano alive. Pearson immediately paid the price for a 2-1 sinker that didn't sink, and Bolgano tied the score with one swing. Closer Tyrell Douglass struck out the next batter and then fanned the side in the 10th.

The match remained level for three more innings after that as long reliever Alfred Wagner kept Bolgano off the scoreboard with a dominant performance, striking out seven of the 11 hitters he faced. Lefty long man Dima Ostrelov worked a scoreless 14th. Unfortunately for the Stars, first baseman Cody Frazier was ejected in the bottom of the 11th for arguing balls and strikes. That forced Yancey to burn the DH by sending Luke Brinkley to play first base.

That meant the pitcher would have to hit. Ostrelov came to bat with Brinkley on second after a booming double. He took third after a wild pitch with Ostrelov squaring around to attempt a sacrifice bunt.

With the count at one ball, two strikes, the Bolgano relief pitcher absentmindedly licked his fingers without calling time and stepping off the rubber. The Newmanistanian home plate umpire was all over it, immediately calling a balk that gave the Stars a dramatic walk-off win.

"The pitcher comes set. Here's the 1-2 AND THE HOME PLATE UMPIRE HAS JUST CALLED A BALK! BRINKLEY WILL SCORE AND THR STARS WIN IT!" Alden Quirk, the Stars play by play announcer exclaimed as the disbelieving Stars rushed the field in celebration.

Meanwhile, Bolgano manager Thomas Roy furiously argued with the home plate umpire, but even he knew that his reliever committed a balk. His only argument was "is that how you want this game to end?"

The series sweep means that the Stars are two games clear of both Lisander, which hosts the Stars in Sarzonia's final away series of this World Baseball Classic, and The Sherpa Empire with six games left.

Yancey warned his team that the three games away to the 21st ranked team in the world would be "dangerous," and the Stars needed to weather the storm.

For people looking to place Sarzonia's unlikely position in first place in context, it isn't just that Sarzonia are in first place in Group 5 with just two series remaining despite entering the World Baseball Classic as an unranked side. The Stars have done so after stumbling out of the gate with a 2-4 record in the first two series at Fleetwood Park. They have gone 13-5 in the games since and are now shooting for a top-flight seed in the knockouts.

They're also trying to handle the logistical challenges of trying to ensure transportation to Drawkland, hotel accommodations for the team and assembled staff, and practice fields whilst grieving the death of assistant traveling secretary Todd Meyers from the SARS 2 novel Coronavirus in spite of the team's efforts to socially distance themselves.

The Stars wore a patch with the initials "TEM" in his memory and plan to do so for the remainder of their World Baseball Classic run.

"It's incredibly tough on all of us," Yancey said. "We're all taking precautions, but we don't know what's going to happen with this."
Last edited by Sarzonia on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 am

Spot Technically Clinched,
by Chelsea Dufresne, Concord Heights Times

While the only goal of the Cassadagan national team in World Baseball Classic 48 is not to merely clinch a playoff spot, the team can technically say they have done that after 24 games. After an 8-3 win over Gekkeom in the final game of a three game set cemented a 2-1 series result, Cassadaigua ended up with a 18-6 record, and lead of six games over a tie for second between Imperial Joseon and Mushroom Kingdom. Even in the most Drawkian form of baseball choking, Cassadaigua could not be passed by each of those nations. At best, they could force Cassadaigua into a three way tie. Well, digging into this even further, you see that we cannot be passed by both of them even if that did happen. Cassadaigua is 5-1 in the H2H tiebreaker over Imperial Joseon. We are 3-0, presently, in the H2H tiebreaker over A Mushroom Kingdom. However, what makes it locked in, is that Imperial Joseon is 5-1 in the H2H over A Mushroom Kingdom. Therefore, A Mushroom Kingdom is currently 1-8 against the other two nations. Therefore, even if A Mushroom Kingdom were to sweep us, the final H2H numbers would be: Cassadaigua 8-4, Imperial Joseon 6-6, A Mushroom Kingdom 4-8. So go ahead and make your travel arrangements now and beat the crowd of other nations who have not officially clinched yet!

When I spoke to manager Maddie Polanco about this unofficial through really official playoff clinching, she responded the way you would have anticipated, “It’s great to know that we would be in, but we expect to be. We’re still going to play out these final six games in the same manner that we did the first twenty four. Just clinching is never enough. You went to go into the playoffs playing good baseball. This has been a complete effort by our team so far, and I am proud of them.” Polanco was quick to point out that the next two teams have plenty to play for, and that would include Saintland, our next opponent, who is a game behind the tie between Imperial Joseon and A Mushroom Kingdom. That could create an interesting situation for them to have to root for us against A Mushroom Kingdom, but they will have to find away to produce against us. In fact, Cassadaigua could officially eliminate Saintland on their own turf. “We’re going into Saintland hoping to win three games. All of the other backstory about the series is for you ladies in the media to write about and for the fans to enjoy. There is no rivalry between the players that wear the uniforms of each squad.”

A complete detailed analysis of the three games over Gekkeom is available elsewhere on this site or in this paper, and I encourage you to check that out. For now, I want to turn my attention over an embarrassing display of entertainment provided recently by the West Phoenician cheerleading squad. We have long respected West Phoenicia for this squad for their high quality routines, which was even on display when they played games here in Cassadaigua. They are one of the very few nations that has a cheerleading squad for baseball, but it was something unique to them, and as a nation that highly appreciates the artistry and immense athletic skill that cheerleaders have (something many male dominated nations will never understand or properly appreciate), we have always admired them. In fact, one of my colleagues here at the Concord Heights Times as a daughter who cheers for Concord Heights Beauty School, the university with the top cheerleading program in all of Cassadaigua, and we have talked about the skill level that the West Phoenicia cheerleaders have displayed on many occasions. So, the display, which has been all over the news so I am sure you have seen it by now, was shocking. I won’t rehash it. If you have not seen it, feel free to take a moment to search for it. You can find clips of it right here on this website. Kelsey Lewis, the cheerleading coach at Concord Heights Beauty School was quoted as saying on Spacebook, that, “The West Phoenician cheerleading squad just embarrassed themselves. In life, you can do 100 great things, but just one bad thing can ruin it. That analogy applies to them. I don’t understand why they felt the need to do that. Have ratings for the World Baseball Classic been low in that country and some male told them that they should do that?” Lauren Tippett, of the Cassadagan Cheerleading Association remarked that, “I saw a lot of toes not properly pointed. Because of that, I am convinced that what they did was to show off and not about proper cheerleading technique.” Brittany Hazlett, the coach of the nation of Cheergirls, a country we have close ties with, said, “I, like, can’t believe they would do that! I think a lot of us have joked that it would be funny one day to do something like that but to, like, seriously do that in a baseball game, it’s like crazy! I don’t think that was cool!” Not everyone was critical, as Meghan Turner, gold medal winning beach volleyball player who has had West Phoenicians attempt to upstage her before simply said, “Bring it on!” (with a bunny emoji).

Fittingly, our next opponent is Saintland. Gut feeling says they did not appreciate that, either.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:12 am

Lion's Roar

A SportsWorld Weblog

This one's for all the marbles, err...baseballs
by Omega Lion

The next series is a game of chess.

In my last post, I said that the Lions needed to sweep Oscioru or Daskel to really pull away from their groupmates, guarantee a first-place finish, and give me hope that they will be competitive in the playoffs. So, true to form, the Lions won both of those series, but did not sweep either. They doubled up their two opponents 27-14 in runs (the pitching staff is now allowing just 3.04 runs/game, down from 3.4/game at the halfway mark), but still only won four of those six games. Side note: the Lions have only allowed 22 runs in their nine games (2.44 runs/game), but still have three losses on their ledger in those nine games.

The Daskel series was a microcosm of the second half. In game 1, Wyatt Templeton, getting the start and showing manager Orlando Murray's trust in him, tossed seven innings of one-run ball in a 3-1 win. Dan Cunningham, having himself a strong Classic, pitched a complete-game shutout in game 2 as the Lions took it 4-0. And in game 3, Erik Russell finally allowed some runs but still had a strong start (7 IP, 3 ER), and a clutch RBI single from Luke Mills in the bottom of the ninth tied the game, but Daskel scored off of Jon Klein in the 10th to win it 4-3. The Lions won two out of three and only allowed five runs, but only scored ten runs. When you think about teams like Cassadaigua, who routinely score in the double digits and are averaging close to seven runs per game, the Lions' offense has really been down. When you only average about four runs a game (as the Lions are in the second half), one slip-up from the pitching staff can really hurt you. In fact, if you remove the game against Oscioru that they won 11-5, they've only scored 26 runs in eight games (3.25 runs/game), a very weak effort. The Lions are tied for 14th in runs scored, so it's really been their top-ranked pitching and defense keeping them afloat.

Now on to the next series: West Phoenicia. The Confederates are the second-ranked team in the group and finished the first half 8-7. They've had the same second-half record as the Lions (6-3), dispatching Anthor 2-1, losing to Kriegiersien 2-1, and most recently sweeping Oscioru, putting them a game behind the Lions at 14-10. It's not exaggerating to say that the outcome of this series will likely determine who finishes first in the group. Although everyone else in the group is still theoretically in contention, in practice, Oscioru at 9-15 is eliminated, and it will be extremely difficult for Anthor (12-12), Daskel (11-13), and Kriegiersien (11-13) to finish first, though they have an outside shot at the playoffs. If the Lions win this series 2-1 or 3-0, they will be at least two games ahead of the Confederates and in a commanding position to win the group. Should the Confederates win 2-1, the two teams will be tied for first, and should they (GOD FORBID) sweep, they will lead the group by one game.

Them's the stakes. The Confederates have shuffled their rotation, so a couple of different pitching matchups will apply this time: Hank Jackson will square off against Cliff Samuels in game 1, the aces Sharpe and Vergas in game 2, same as last time, and Templeton vs. Ashwyn Sid in game 3. In the first series, Jackson outdueled Mandeep Singh, but this time he'll get Cliff Samuels, who the Lions treated roughly (5 IP, 5 ER), so advantage Lions. Sharpe and Vergas both pitched pretty well the first time around, but Sharpe has a 2.77 second-half ERA compared to Vergas, who got blasted for 8 runs in his most recent start against Kriegiersien, so let's hope Sharpe has this one, though he has been inconsistent this classic. Templeton likewise has a 2.77 second-half ERA, but Ashwyn Sid has pitched well against both Anthor and Oscioru. In the first half, Sid pitched well against Kriegiersien, struggled against Oscioru, and then had five good innings against Daskel before running into trouble in the 6th. So both guys have been up and down, but better in the second half.

A sweep would really make me feel good heading into the final series; we'd be four games ahead of West Phoenicia, and at least three games ahead of anyone else, a virtual lock to finish first in the group. But let's be honest, if the Lions have only swept one series this Classic, they're not going to sweep the second-seeded team in the group. A 2-1 series win here at home would put them in a good situation, and it's probably the best we can hope for. A win and things get easier, a loss and everything is more complicated. Keep it simple, Lions: just win, baby.

Some tidbits from around the Classic:
-Wow, Ko-oren! Sixteen runs in a game against Northwest Kalactin is impressive enough (though Cassadaigua scored 21 earlier in the Classic), but 14 runs in one inning? That has to be at least close to a WBC record. Somebody smarter than I should look that up.
-Abanhfleft still is tied for the best record in group play, but they dropped a shocking two of three games to a bunch of politicians in Democratic Publicity Stunts, including 4-2 in 16 innings. Just goes to show anything can happen in baseball.
-Cassadaigua probably scored the fewest runs in a series for them this Classic, notching a paltry (for them) 15 runs in a 2-1 series win over Gekkeom, and they needed eight runs in the final game to do it. Could the Cassadaiguan run-scoring machine be slowing down at last?
-Unranked Brooklyn and Queens swept South Covello. Combined with Liventia's 2-1 series win over Teyneyji, that puts a young Liventia team in second place in Group 7, just two games behind Newmanistan.
-United States of Devonta has scored 65 runs in 9 games in the second half, a big change from just 35 runs in 15 games in the first half. At 6-18, they're gaining on Equestrian States (8-16) for the highest-ranked team for the lowest record.
-Equestrian States' issues, combined with South Newlandia's strong play, have vaulted the newcomers of South Newlandia to second place in the group. What's even more of a surprise is that South Newlandia is doing it with just four pitchers. I don't expect them to move on in the playoffs, simply because their pitcher's arms must be falling off right now, having to pitch a complete game every time.

More from Lion's Roar
NABL Season Preview
With the WJHC coming back, what about the IBS?
Sandwich debate thread

(OOC: Logo at top shamelessly cribbed from Pride of Detroit, Detroit Lions blog. The opinions expressed above are the opinions of the writer and not necessarily indicative of the opinions of Nova Anglicans or the user behind Nova Anglicana.)
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Copenhagen: A Familiar Scene For Some Nordic Blues

Postby TJUN-ia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 am

Copenhagen was just a beautiful back in the other Universes as it was here for the return trip to The Greater Nordics. They swept us at our first home game in Portside, and improvement was the main aim for the team heading into the series against 2nd placed team.

GAME 1
The Nordics held the advantage in the early innings, but the Jags bounced back. 2 solo-HRs, one by Fulmer in the 6th and the other by Kyle McNash, tied the game at 3-3. Extras had to be played, and Calhoun took advantage by putting another into the stands to make it 5-3. McNash managed to leave the bats silent and the Jags took Game 1. 5-3 final.

GAME 2
Chris Harris was back for one of worst games of baseball we had ever had a part in. No could score anything for most the game. The only score was a homer in the 5th by Oscar Christiansen. 1-0 final, 1-1 in the series.

GAME 3
The Nordics finally woke up, and unleashed some hell. There was nothing Davis Johnson could really do. 5-2 final.

The new aim for the Jags is to try and win as many of the final 6 games as possible. We host the Nordiques of Terre Septentrionale in our final home game of the tournament.

YOU ARE ENTERING THE JUNGLE

FAIR PLAY SHALL BE OBSERVED HERE AT ALL TIMES

IF NOT, THE CROWD SHALL EAT YOU ALIVE

SCHEDULE
S1 (G1/G2/G3): @Free Republics (4) - Nicholls Air Park, Baseton L 0-3 (4th [Run Differential])
S2 (G4/G5/G6): @Swiaji (UR) W 2-1 (4th [Run Differential])
S3 (G7/G8/G9): vs The Greater Nordics (12) - Rounders Field, Portside L 0-3 (5th)
S4 (G10/G11/G12): @Terre Septentrionale (29) - Park Filipowicz, Trzeszczyn L 1-2 (5th)
S5 (G13/G14/G15): vs United States of Devonta (24) - Rounders Field, Portside W 3-0 (4th [H2H])
S6 (G16/G17/G18): vs Free Republics (4) - Rounders Field, Portside L 1-2 (4th [H2H])
S7 (G19/G20/G21): vs Swiaji (UR) - Rounders Field, Portside L 1-2 (5th)
S8 (G22/G23/G24): @The Greater Nordics (12) - National Baseball Stadium, Copenhagen L 1-2 (5th)
S9 (G25/G26/G27): vs Terre Spetentrionale (29) - Rounders Field, Portside
S10 (G28/G29/G30): @United States of Devonta (24)
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Hampton Island
Envoy

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hampton Island » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 am

(Scenario: A skybox at Capital Stadium in Hapilopper City, near the end of the third game)

CEO: Midnight has been very sluggish in this series. There is no excitement in his step as he keeps being intentionally walked.

Assistant: He’s expecting it now. Completely depressed. It is affecting him, hopefully the Fleftics and other teams don’t start doing this all of the time, to him.

CEO: It cements the point of why we need to find more bears like him. Obviously, that is impossible, so we need to get him breeding females. Miller insists we can’t have more then one female in that field right now, but I am about ready to over ride that. Look at this crap, we haven’t scored a single run in this game!

Assistant: The humans are not stepping up. They did well in the last game though, showing some battle.

CEO: I do not want Hapilopper getting that second spot over us. We worked so hard to get the top seed in the group, and then not to make the playoffs with it, that is entirely wrong.

Assistant: It was always a tough group.

CEO: Correct, and that makes my decision tougher. Either they prove their meddle and get the spot, which would show great resiliency, or they flame out and fail to go to Drawkland. You know how badly I want to market games being played on another damn planet?

Assistant: It would be exciting.

CEO: That’s why I fire the manager if they fail to qualify. I get that they would have had a tough group, and they have not really played badly. But it will cost me money and the only reason we do this is to make money.

Assistant: I know, but back to the female, we should be trying to get more females in there when Midnight is away like he is now. That way, the females can get comfortable with one another, which I think is Miller’s biggest concern.

CEO: You think we could sell his cubs? The ones that don’t play baseball, surely they would be have some interest on the open market.

Assistant: Bears are not horses.

CEO: To zoos and whatnot.

Assistant: Maybe. So tell Miller to get as many females in there as possible.

CEO: Yes. When this is over, Midnight can work on his abilities as a stud.

Assistant: Since we’re in Hapilopper, have you thought about the open charter driver for the race at home? If not, West Phoenicia indirectly gave me a good idea.

CEO: West Phoenicia? A NSSCRA idea?

Assistant: Indirectly. Check out what their cheerleaders did. We could hold a similar contest to find the next Lexi. Though we can again say that all female candidates were screened as having various driving experience.

CEO: Not a bad idea, might have to fine tune it a little bit.
Campionato Esportiva 28 Champions
Two-time World Cup Qualifier (85, 86)
NSSCRA Also-rans

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:52 am

King's Government announces New Modesty Rules, Temporary Ban on Sale of Apples Ahead of Cassadaigua Series

(SP) The Kingdom of Saintland is currently 11-13 in the World Baseball Classic, which has us just 1 game out of second place in Group 6. The 9th series is coming up and will be held in St. Petrus at Royal Park. In recent days, there have been rumors that King Paulus XVI intends to retire from baseball following the conclusion of this tournament. If he does indeed retire, then game 1 of the series will be his final start in Saintland and game 3 will be the final time he takes the field in Saintland. A capacity crowd is expected on hand for all 3 games of this series. As the opponent is against our Kingdom's arch-rival Cassadaigua, a number of special measures have been implemented by the King's Government to protect public order. "On behalf of his majesty, King Paulus XVI and acting in my role as Prime Minister, I have published a temporary royal decree to protect public order during the upcoming World Baseball Classic series between the Kingdom of Saintland and the Cassadaigua baseball team. It is well documented that Cassadagan fans and even some athletes have a long history of misbehavior, especially when they are in Saintland. Therefore, we will be taking all necessary precautions to ensure these World Baseball Classic games go forward without any disruptions whatsoever to the order of this Kingdom." - Patriarch Innocentius IV

The royal decree, written and implemented by Patriarch Innocentius IV on behalf of our King, temporarily suspends the exceptions to our public modesty laws for non-citizens and also prohibits the sale or distribution of apples and all food products containing apples anywhere in the Kingdom until 24 hours after the conclusion of the final game of the series. Furthermore, the St. Petrus Police Department will be performing searches of all fans attending the Saintland-Cassadaigua baseball games to ensure that no fans smuggle contraband of any kind into Royal Park. Female fans attending the games will be searched by nuns and all searches will be done in a private area where the modesty of fans can be protected. Furthermore, the King's Government has taken the extraordinary measure of prohibiting all outside food or drink from the ballpark. These measures have been taken to ensure the safety of all fans.

As the World Baseball Classic Council sets regulations regarding appropriate attire on a baseball field, the King's Government does not have the authority to require Cassadagan baseball players to wear appropriately modest attire during the games. Furthermore, we should remind Cassadagan and other foreign fans that our Kingdom's modesty laws only apply in public places and other places where you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. In places where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, however, we expect our laws to be followed. In the interest of hospitality toward our guests, we will be providing appropriate attire at no cost to visitors and both visiting players and fans are welcome to keep it as a souvenir of their time in Saintland.

The temporary suspension of exceptions to our modesty laws is likely motivated in part by the recent indecent actions of the West Phoenician cheerleading squad which were broadcast live on Royal Three. The current chairman of the Royal Networks Paulus Conconius publicly apologized for the indecent broadcast. We will not be describing the content of this broadcast as even a description of their conduct is indecent. While it has been widely condemned throughout the multiverse, including by Cassadagan cheerleading coaches, the King's Government has elected to temporarily tighten public modesty policies as a precaution and a statement of our disapproval towards their conduct. While we apologize to our Cassadagan guests for the inconvenience, we hope that they will be understanding and will share our Kingdom's desire to make a strong statement in favor of decency at this time.

All 3 Saintland-Cassadaigua games will be broadcast live on Royal One. Interest is expected to be extremely high throughout our Kingdom...
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:56 am

ELEPHANT VALLEY MAIL
Sports -> Baseball
South Newlandia loses and sees their lead shrink

South Newlandia, previously undefeated on home soil, gave up two of the three games against The Royal Kingdom of Quebec. This reduces their previous lead to just two wins, and the team just seemed all over the place. Especially the usually strong pitcher Jacob Conroy had a very bad game, and the remarkable defense of South Newlandias team just seemed to fall apart. With little help from the offense, the team lost the last two games clearly.

Game 1
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  0
South Newlandia 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 X 2

Game one actually started well enough for South Newlandia. Ryan Hunter pitched game one and did not allow any runs, dominating the offense completely. In the bottom of the 4th inning, Jake Davidson and Gregor Garner scored runs, taking a 2-0 lead that would end up to be the final score. The game could have been close again, after both Shortstop Steve Ruiz and 3rd Baseman Ian Pearce suffered unrelated injuries in the 8th inning. They were replaced by Zac Cullen and David Drum respectively. Left Field George Webber saved the game in the end, when he caught a ball that would have probably gone over the wall with two bases loaded and two out, ending the match.

Game 2
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec        1 0 1 0 0 1 1 3 0  7
South Newlandia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Game two was pitched by Jacob Conroy, and he just could not find back to his usual strength. He allowed 7 runs in total, including a home run, and just did not seem as confident and precise as usual. It is not fair to place the entire blame on him, the Infield was all over the place too with two replacements suddenly in the mix. Neither Infield replacement could really shine, be it defensively or offensively. South Newlandia did not get a single run in the entire game, partly because of good pitching, partly because of weak batting. After a three run homer in the 8th, the game was just completely over. The final standing was a disappointing 0-7.

Game 3
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec        2 3 0 0 0 3 1 2 0 11
South Newlandia 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 2

Game three did only get worse. Jack Miller pitched this one, and the game seemed to already be over after two innings. Miller had already allowed two home runs and 5 runs in total, with no runs for South Newlandia. Miller wound up allowing 11 runs and 5(!) home runs over the full match. South Newlandia was at least able to grab two consolation runs, with David Drum scoring in the 5th and Fabio Ventura scoring in the 7th. A final score of 2-11 still is the worst one that happened to South Newlandia in their Baseball History. Head Coach Gabriel Brown, who is already concerned with the setup of national baseball structures, is now facing a lot of problems with his team as well.
We are very happy that Jacob Conroy agreed to an interview regardless of his performance.

Our reporter: Jacob Conroy, to cut it short – what went wrong?
Jacob Conroy: I just wasn’t getting into a good rhythm today. After the injuries, everything was kind of unknown and unclear. I still have to do better, I was really unhappy with my game. Jack [Miller; pitched game 3] was probably even more nervous after he saw my game.
OR: Apart from the injuries, are there other things that might have been a problem?
JC: Well, our head coach isn’t completely with us at the moment, because he is busy with the setup of the national baseball organization as well. Some blame the instigators for rushing the entire thing; they say you could have waited with that.
OR: Do you?
JC: I would prefer not to answer. Another problem is obviously our small squad. We are just 4 pitchers, and I pitched a full game for 5 series in a row. I can feel that getting to me as well, and Blake and Ryan aren’t really able to do that consistently. We don’t even have a physio. This is very tough on the entire team, and the two recent injuries were, at least in part, caused by that as well. But those are just the kinds of problems you run into with such a small team.
OR: Is South Newlandia going to make the playoffs?
JC: Depends. We are only 2-4 for the last 6 games; we have to step this up with the two top seeds remaining. Fortunately, they [Northwest Kalactin] still need three additional wins to catch us, because we are 4-2 Head to Head. This should be enough to hold, and Northwest Kalactins schedule isn’t exactly easy either, with Ko-oren and Quebec remaining.
OR: And a completely different question: Many teams have a nickname, often based on an animal.
JC: (laughs) I know what you are trying to say. Yes, with our national animal being the elephant, and our capital city being Elephant Valley, it would make a lot of sense to call us the Elephants. I like this as well, and I don’t know of another team named Elephants at the moment. We are currently discussing this. Like, just imagine a cute little elephant with a baseball bat. Everyone will love it!

All matches:
South Newlandia 1-2 The Royal Kingdom of Quebec (2-0; 0-7; 2-11)

Equestrian States 1-2 Ko-oren (1-16; 4-9; 9-5)
Ko-oren secured two wins over now-eliminated second seed Equestrian States. With fireworks all around, including 30(!) runs by Ko-oren, including 14 (!!) in one inning, this game was without a doubt one of the most exciting ones so far.

Xanneria 0-3 Northwest Kalactin (2-4; 0-3; 5-13)
Northwest Kalactin swept Xanneria again, also finalizing Xannerias elimination. Norhwest Kalctin stays in contention, remaining in a strong 3rd place.

Current standings:
Group 3                      Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Ko-oren 24 17 7 146 98 +48
2 South Newlandia 24 15 9 84 80 +4
3 Northwest Kalactin 24 13 11 116 94 +22
4 The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 24 10 14 109 111 −2
5 Xanneria 24 9 15 84 104 −20
6 Equestrian States 24 8 16 88 140 −52

Schedule Series 9:
South Newlandia @ Equestrian States
Northwest Kalactin @ Ko-oren
Xanneria @ The Royal Kingdom of Quebec

Schedule Series 10:
Ko-oren @ South Newlandia
Equestrian States @ Xanneria
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec @ Northwest Kalactin

With the group coming to an end, the last matchups between the top three are approaching. Northwest Kalactin @ Ko-oren will definitely set the tone for the last series. South Newlandia will play in the Equestrian States for the 9th series.
Last edited by South Newlandia on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:35 pm

THE ROCKET REPORT

CHROMATIKA TRIP DOESN’T GO WELL

by Brianne Henry,

Newmanistan found themselves on the losing end of a series against the Chromatiks when a better result could have been very useful. Winning is always desired, but with South Covello being swept away by Brooklyn and Queens, the Rockets could have been in a much better situation right now then they are presently in. Now, they have a two game lead on Liventia, who continues to play extremely well, and a four game cushion over South Covello. The latter of which the Rockets gained a critical game on, because it no longer means that South Covello controls their own destiny in regards to tying us or passing us. Despite that, Newmanistan finishes this off with a three game series in Liventia, so those fans are still going to be optimistic.. We should not be concerned about anything, as we’d rather be ahead then behind, but most of us will wish that the team could have taken advantage of that Brooklyn and Queens sweep much more. On the flip side, that will surely have the South Covello squad charged up much more when they head to Empress Jessica I Stadium for the next series.

For Rockets fans, the opportunity to cross the Penthoria River and head to Jessicaville is an intriguing option right now. It is not just the final time we will see our team play in the Empire this year, but stadium personnel is being unusually generous this time around, with ticket prices the lowest of any of the five host cities. Usually, the exact opposite is true, but it seems as though the people there went to do their part and not isolate themselves anymore then they seem to already. Jessicaville is a great city, but a study that came out four months ago failed to rank the city as a top ten spot in Newmanistan for tourists, and that is likely because of the high cost of living there. You have to be Newmanistanian to understand what I mean when I talk about the city beating to their own drum, but knowing their history, we know why. In general, we have seen admission costs to many venues within the city go down, so they are getting the message for right now. Hotel rates for this upcoming are still high like we always see.

Back to the Chromatika series, what a major disappointment, but not as disappointing as the display we saw from dancers from West Phoenicia that desire to reference themselves as cheerleaders. How desperate were they for attention? Well, you got the attention, alright. We saw no unprofessional displays of anything from Chromatika, a respectable nation known more for soccer or college basketball, but they have been playing fairly well in the World Baseball Classic, too. The first game of the series showed us that game we have become all too accustomed to seeing from Cassie Burke. I have tried to remain positive during the group stage about her starts, as she has been mostly positive, but her Classic inconsistency is very frustrating. Sadly, that showed here. The bats did a great job, putting up three in the top of the first and two in the second, but Burke could not get out of the bottom of either of those innings cleanly, surrendering a run in each of them. The worst came in the fourth, when she surrendered three more, to tie it at five. Manager Ashley Hedstrom made a terrible mistake, hoping that she could recover in the fifth, but after “a bloop and a blast” to the first two batters of the inning, Chromatika was up 7-5 and on their way to a win. Hedstrom may not hear the end of that one. Madison Sullivan can’t be blamed for the loss in the second game, as she was good, but her high level of run support she had become used to evened out here. Newmanistan took a 2-1 lead into the 7th, but Sullivan would surrender two runs there, and the bullpen made worse thereafter. Paige Norwood tossed a gem in the third game, allowing just two runs on four hits, in the 4-2 win.

Looking at South Covello, this squad who started the Classic playing very well has been struggling mightily lately, and that showed in their trip to Brooklyn And Queens, a nation that they should have been able to beat. Instead, their opponents earned 5-4, 10-3, and 5-3 wins to provide us a lot of help. Help, we could have taken advantage of a lot more then we would.
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Banija
Senator

Founded: Mar 06, 2015
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Banija » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Former champion of quite a few things. Former President of even more things.
Kabaka = King
Lubuga = Queen Consort
Isebantu = Crown Prince
Waziri = Foreign Minister
Katikkiro = Prime Minister
Omugabe/Omugaba= Prince/Princess
Banija Domestic Sports | Map of Banija
NSCF 14 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 17 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria), NSCF 19 CHAMPIONS(Northern Moravica), NSCF 21 CHAMPIONS(Loyola-Istria)
Sporting World Cup 8. WBCs 47 & 51. Di Bradini Cup 47. World Cup 86. IBC 30, 31, 32, 33. National Trophy Cabinet.
Does your country need public transit? Contact the RTC!
If you see this, assume you have an embassy in my country and we have an embassy in yours!

Drawkland
Senator

Founded: Aug 27, 2013
Democratic Socialists

WBC 48 Group Stage Series 9

Postby Drawkland » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm

DRAWKLAND'S WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC 48
GROUP STAGE - SERIES 9
Some of you will be Homebound after this series ... in any case, good luck!

Group 1
Game 1
Pripet Socialist Republic 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 4
Hampton Island 5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 X 6

Nooooooooooooooo 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 4
Democratic Publicity Stunts 0 0 0 0 3 2 0 0 X 5

Abanhfleft 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 4
Hapilopper 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2

Game 2
Pripet Socialist Republic 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 3
Hampton Island 0 0 0 0 6 1 1 0 X 8

Nooooooooooooooo 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 0 4
Democratic Publicity Stunts 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Abanhfleft 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 4
Hapilopper 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 2

Game 3
Pripet Socialist Republic 0 2 0 1 0 2 0 0 2 7
Hampton Island 0 1 0 0 1 0 3 3 X 8

Nooooooooooooooo 0 0 0 0 2 3 2 0 2 9
Democratic Publicity Stunts 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 5

Abanhfleft 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3
Hapilopper 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

Group 1                      Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Abanhfleft 27 21 6 136 102 +34
2 Hampton Island 27 18 9 131 101 +30
3 Hapilopper 27 15 12 119 93 +26

4 Democratic Publicity Stunts 27 12 15 91 120 −29
5 Nooooooooooooooo 27 8 19 108 123 −15
6 Pripet Socialist Republic 27 7 20 88 134 −46

Abanhfleft wins group with at least one win against Hampton Island.
Hampton Island makes playoffs with a single win in Series 10, and wins the group with a sweep.
Hapilopper makes playoffs with a Series 10 sweep, and Hampton Island being swept by Abanhfleft.

Group 2
Game 1
Devonta 2 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 5
Free Republics 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 4

Terre Septentrionale 1 0 0 0 0 1 3 0 0 5
TJUN-ia 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 4

The Greater Nordics 2 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 6
Swiaji 3 0 0 1 3 1 1 0 X 9

Game 2
Devonta 1 0 0 0 0 5 3 0 1 10
Free Republics 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2

Terre Septentrionale 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 5
TJUN-ia 1 0 3 2 0 0 0 0 X 6

The Greater Nordics 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 4
Swiaji 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 4 X 6

Game 3
Devonta 0 1 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 5
Free Republics 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3

Terre Septentrionale 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
TJUN-ia 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 X 4

The Greater Nordics 0 1 1 0 2 3 0 0 0 7
Swiaji 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Group 2               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Free Republics 27 18 9 152 96 +56
2 The Greater Nordics 27 17 10 138 98 +40
3 Terre Septentrionale 27 14 13 108 118 −10
4 Swiaji 27 12 15 107 134 −27
5 TJUN-ia 27 11 16 96 128 −32
6 Devonta 27 9 18 110 137 −27

Free Republics wins group with at least two wins against The Greater Nordics, or with a single win and close losses.
The Greater Nordics wins the group with a sweep or two blowout wins against Free Republics.
Terre Septentrionale cannot make the playoffs due to a 2-4 head-to-head record with The Greater Nordics.

Group 3
Game 1
Northwest Kalactin 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 2
Ko-oren 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 X 3

Xanneria 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

South Newlandia 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 3
Equestrian States 0 0 0 0 0 1 6 0 X 7

Game 2
Northwest Kalactin 0 0 0 1 0 2 1 2 0 6
Ko-oren 2 1 2 0 1 0 0 2 X 8

Xanneria 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1

South Newlandia 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 4
Equestrian States 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 3

Game 3
Northwest Kalactin 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 1 5
Ko-oren 1 6 0 0 0 0 0 2 X 9

Xanneria 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 3
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 2

South Newlandia 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
Equestrian States 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1 Ko-oren 27 20 7 166 111 +55
2 South Newlandia 27 17 10 93 90 +3

3 Northwest Kalactin 27 13 14 129 114 +15
4 Xanneria 27 12 15 92 108 −16
5 The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 27 10 17 113 119 −6
6 Equestrian States 27 9 18 98 149 −51

Ko-oren wins the group with at least one win against South Newlandia.
South Newlandia wins the group with a sweep against Ko-oren, or two unrealistically massive wins.

Group 4
Game 1
Kriegiersien 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Daskel 1 0 0 0 3 1 0 1 X 6

Anthor 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
Oscioru 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 X 3

West Phoenicia 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 6
Nova Anglicana 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Game 2
Kriegiersien 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 2 0 4
Daskel 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1

Anthor 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 2
Oscioru 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

West Phoenicia 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 4
Nova Anglicana 0 0 0 3 2 0 1 1 X 7

Game 3
Kriegiersien 0 0 3 0 1 1 1 0 0 6
Daskel 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 3

Anthor 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
Oscioru 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 1 X 4

West Phoenicia 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
Nova Anglicana 0 2 0 1 0 2 0 0 X 5

Group 4               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Nova Anglicana 27 17 10 125 85 +40
2 West Phoenicia 27 15 12 119 113 +6
3 Anthor 27 13 14 108 101 +7
4 Kriegiersien 27 13 14 110 118 −8
5 Daskel 27 12 15 119 124 −5

6 Oscioru 27 11 16 101 141 −40

Nova Anglicana wins the group with at least one win against Anthor.
West Phoenicia makes the playoffs with at least two wins against Daskel.
Anthor makes the playoffs with 2-3 wins against Nova Anglicana, provided West Phoenicia wins 0-1 games (plus favorable Run Differential).
Kriegiersien makes the playoffs with 2-3 wins against Oscioru, provided West Phoenicia wins 0-1 games (plus favorable Run Differential and Anthor winning fewer games).
Daskel makes the playoffs if they sweep West Phoenicia, Kriegiersien wins 2 games or less, Anthor only wins one game or two with favorable Run Differential.

Group 5
Game 1
Bolgano 0 1 1 0 2 0 2 0 0 6
The Sherpa Empire 0 1 2 0 0 0 3 1 X 7

Sarzonia 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 5 9
St. Saratoga 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 3

Cascom 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
Lisander 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 4

Game 2
Bolgano 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 1 4
The Sherpa Empire 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 5

Sarzonia 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 3 0 6
St. Saratoga 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3

Cascom 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 4
Lisander 2 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 X 5

Game 3
Bolgano 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
The Sherpa Empire 2 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 X 6

Sarzonia 1 1 4 0 0 4 1 0 1 12
St. Saratoga 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 3

Cascom 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 3
Lisander 2 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 X 5

Group 5               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Sarzonia 27 18 9 145 103 +42
2 Lisander 27 16 11 140 114 +26
3 The Sherpa Empire 27 16 11 122 102 +20

4 St. Saratoga 27 12 15 98 132 −34
5 Bolgano 27 10 17 107 138 −31
6 Cascom 27 9 18 115 138 −23

Sarzonia makes the playoffs with at least one win against Lisander. They win the group win at least two wins.
Lisander makes the playoffs if they win as many games than The Sherpa Empire in Series 10, provided favorable Run Differential. They confirm a playoff spot by winning more games than The Sherpa Empire. They win the group with a sweep of Sarzonia.
The Sherpa Empire makes the playoffs if they win at least as many games as Lisander in Series 10, provided favorable Run Differential. They confirm a playoff spot by winning more games than Lisander. They win the group with a sweep and ONLY one Sarzonia loss, provided favorable Run Differential.

Group 6
Game 1
The Sarian 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 3
Mushroom Kingdom 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Imperial Joseon 0 4 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 7
Gekkeom 0 0 0 1 0 3 0 0 0 4

Cassadaigua 3 0 5 0 3 0 0 0 0 11
Saintland 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

Game 2
The Sarian 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Mushroom Kingdom 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 X 5

Imperial Joseon 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 3
Gekkeom 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 2

Cassadaigua 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Saintland 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 X 3

Game 3
The Sarian 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mushroom Kingdom 1 0 2 0 0 0 2 1 X 6

Imperial Joseon 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2
Gekkeom 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 3

Cassadaigua 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
Saintland 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 3

Group 6               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Cassadaigua 27 19 8 174 92 +82
2 Imperial Joseon 27 14 13 131 130 +1
3 Mushroom Kingdom 27 14 13 117 103 +14
4 Saintland 27 13 14 92 122 −30

5 The Sarian 27 12 15 119 143 −24
6 Gekkeom 27 9 18 95 138 −43

Cassadaigua has already won the group. Congrats!
Imperial Joseon makes the playoffs by winning at least as many games as A Mushroom Kingdom.
A Mushroom Kingdom makes the playoffs by winning more games in Series 10 than Imperial Joseon.
Saintland makes the playoffs by sweeping Imperial Joseon and A Mushroom Kingdom not sweeping, provided favorable Run Differential. They can make the playoffs with two wins if A Mushroom Kingdom wins one or fewer games, provided favorable Run Differential.

Group 7
Game 1
South Covello 0 0 1 3 0 0 1 0 0 5
Newmanistan 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1

Brooklyn and Queens 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Teyniyji 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 X 2

Liventia 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2
Chromatika 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Game 2
South Covello 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
Newmanistan 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 X 2

Brooklyn and Queens 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 2
Teyniyji 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Liventia 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 6
Chromatika 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 2 5

Game 3
South Covello 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 4
Newmanistan 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3

Brooklyn and Queens 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 3
Teyniyji 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

Liventia 0 0 1 0 1 2 0 0 1 0 0 5
Chromatika 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 2 0 0 2 7

Group 7               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Newmanistan 27 18 9 149 98 +51
2 Liventia 27 17 10 118 106 +12
3 South Covello 27 15 12 113 96 +17

4 Chromatika 27 13 14 98 103 −5
5 Brooklyn and Queens 27 12 15 95 118 −23
6 Teyniyji 27 6 21 89 141 −52

Newmanistan makes the playoffs with at least one win against Liventia. They win the group with at least two wins.
Liventia makes the playoffs with at least one win, provided South Covello doesn't sweep. They win the group with at least two wins.
South Covello makes the playoffs with a sweep against Teyniyji and Liventia winning one or fewer games.

Group 8
Game 1
HUElavia 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 3
Banija 2 0 0 2 6 0 0 0 X 10

Kita-Hinode 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 4
Inner AginanaUsordia 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 3

Drawkland 0 3 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 5
Drunk People at the Local Tavern 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 4

Game 2
HUElavia 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 2
Banija 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 X 3

Kita-Hinode 0 6 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 11
Inner AginanaUsordia 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 2 0 6

Drawkland 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 2
Drunk People at the Local Tavern 2 0 3 0 1 0 0 0 X 6

Game 3
HUElavia 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 3
Banija 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 1 X 5

Kita-Hinode 0 1 0 3 2 0 0 0 1 7
Inner AginanaUsordia 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 4 0 6

Drawkland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2
Drunk People at the Local Tavern 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 X 3

Group 8                           Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Banija 27 20 7 146 87 +59
2 Drawkland 27 15 12 112 110 +2
3 Inner AginanaUsordia 27 13 14 129 125 +4

4 Kita-Hinode 27 12 15 109 121 −12
5 HUElavia 27 11 16 102 137 −35
6 Drunk People at the Local Tavern 27 10 17 119 137 −18

Banija has won the group already. Congrats!
Drawkland makes the playoffs provided Inner AginanaUsordia doesn't sweep HUElavia. If they do, Drawkland needs one win and favorable Run Differential, or multiple wins.
Inner AginanaUsordia makes the playoffs if they sweep HUElavia and Drawkland wins one or fewer games (plus favorable Run Differential in the former's case).
Kita-Hinode cannot make the playoffs even with a sweep due to inferior H2H record against Drawkland.

EDIT: Playoff Push Permutations, feel free to dispute if I made a mistake!
Playoff Bound!
In The Hunt!
Group Winner!
Last edited by Drawkland on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise
The INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE of DRAWKLAND

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:03 pm

Player Profiles Rookies
Charles Hernandez:
Strengths: Power Hitter, Strong Fielder, Speedy
Weaknesses: Doesn’t Hit well for contact, Bad temper

Mark Cooper:
Strengths: Fast, good batting average hitter, good fielder
Weaknesses: lacks home run power, doesn’t play well while frustrated

Chris Howard:
Strengths: good home run power, tall, good batting average hitter
Weaknesses: slow and slightly overweight

Jimmy Bennet:
Strengths: good arm velocity, good control on pitches, good changeup
Weaknesses: lacks a good breaking ball, not much movement on pitches

Bobby King:
Strengths: Knee buckling curve, great movement, 5+ arsenal of pitches
Weaknesses: lacks a good changeup, 89-91 MPH fastball

Jake Brown:
Strengths: speedy, good fielder, good average hitter
Weaknesses: lacks strength in arms, little power

David Carter:
Strengths: Very strong, lots of home run power, fast, good fielder, five tool player
Weaknesses: fiery temper

Paul Young:
Strengths: good velocity, 5 pitches, good control
Weaknesses: lacks velocity on breaking balls, not much movement on curveball

Richard Taylor:
Strengths: good control, very focused, good breaking ball
Weaknesses: lacks a good fastball, not much velocity
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Everyone associated with Sarzonian baseball had a strong sense that they would learn a lot about their team and how they would look with their final away series against St. Saratoga and their penultimate series in the World Baseball Classic.

They were right. What they saw was a Stars team that seemed to be peaking at the right time, sweeping the series against the 21st ranked team in the world with three strong wins to give the Stars an 18-9 record and a two-game lead over both Lisander and The Sherpa Empire with three games to play.

Some prognosticators might say the Stars have all but clinched a knockout round berth, designated hitter Luke Brinkley isn't so sure.

"The Sherpas are playing Cascom for their final series and we're playing Lisander," he said. "Lisander are the 15th ranked team in the world. They would have to sweep us to sneak past us, and if they do that and the Sherpa sweep Cascom, we aren't leaving Woodstock."

If the Stars win just one game against Lisander, they would eliminate any possibility of that team knocking the Stars out of knockout round contention because the Stars would have the head to head tiebreaker over Lisander. The Stars currently lead the group with a plus-42 run differential, but they recognise that they can't call off the dogs just yet.

As for the series itself, Brian Lynch worked his way through early trouble to toss six innings, allowing seven hits, three runs, four walks and three strikeouts to earn the victory in Game 1. The Stars offence picked up the slack with single runs in the first, fifth, sixth, and seventh before a five-run outburst blew that contest wide open. It gave Scott Lassiter a two-inning save.

Game 2 saw Mark Conroy battle it out for six innings as the Stars trailed heading into the seventh, but Brinkley gave his pitcher a chance to win the game with a bases clearing double to put the Stars ahead 3-2. Cody Frazier would jack a three-run shot to deep right center to put the Stars ahead for good in the 6-3 victory. Only a solo homer off Tyrell Douglass in a non-save situation made the score look less impressive than it actually was in a game that officially closed the knockout round door for the hosts.

Game 3 was Uriel Jimenez's time to shine. He pitched eight innings, allowing just three hits, no walks, and three strikeouts while allowing two runs. Only a solo bomb in the eighth inning was earned. The dominant 12-3 victory now gives the Stars a chance to see what the back end to the rotation can do against a team still fighting for their knockout round lives.

The Stars have won eight consecutive games since the Sherpas torched them for 11 runs back when the Group 5 race was much tighter. It allowed observers to take stock in how things looked around the World Baseball Classic.

Among unranked sides, the Stars have a one-game lead over Group 3 second place team South Newlandia, who have punched their ticket to Drawkland for the knockout rounds. They are three games behind Ko-oren with three games left, so it looks like they will remain in second.

Kriegiersien are three games out of second place in Group 4 with three games remaining, while Daskel have been eliminated. In Group 6, Imperial Joseon are level with The Mushroom Kingdom for the runner's up berth at 14-13 behind offensive powerhouse Cassadaigua. Inner AginanaUsordia are two games in back of host nation Drawkland for second place in Group 8.

Thus, the Stars are the only unranked team currently leading the group table. That now means a look at potential knockout round opponents. The Stars currently have a grip on the No. 7 seed, meaning they would face the second best runners up, which are currently The Greater Nordics with a 17-10 record and a plus-40 run differential in Group 2. They are only one game out of first place in the group behind Free Republics, so anything can still happen.

Manager Geoff Yancey acknowledged that the next series could make or break his team's chances, but also reminded fans that the Stars were in an enviable position for a team no one expected anything from.

"We've come a long way in a short period of time," he said. No matter what happens in our last series at home, I'm immensely proud of this team."

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:09 am

When the West Phoenicia-Oscioru series was shown in the Sherpa Empire, whether it was on TV or online, it was shown without any of the pre-game spectacle. Sherpa web pages that showed the offending footage were taken offline, and foreign pages returned an error message if anyone tried to access them from a Sherpa IP. In other countries, VPN services that spoofed Sherpa IPs got complaints from customers who couldn't read the error message -- which was written entirely in Sherpa -- and did not understand why the pages were not loading.

Some of the VPN providers complained to the Sherpa Censorship Department, which left the customer service reps at the Censorship Department wondering why on Earth anyone who didn't live in the Sherpa Empire would try to spoof a Sherpa IP. This sort of thing happened a lot, and it never ceased to amaze the people answering the phones, emails, and service tickets at the Censorship Department. The Sherpa Empire's censorship was not the strictest in the world, but it was still censorship.

The fact that the cheerleaders lewd display was not aired on Sherpa TV did not stop people from commenting on the controversy. Chinese-Sherpa pop star Ding A-Ling wrote on her blog: "People in this country need to stop being so puritanical. What is such a big deal about naked bodies? They probably wouldn't even censor it if Kami Akunjee filmed his teammates in the shower, but as soon as some women show a little skin, Holy Mother it's a huge fucking scandal! You'd think it was the end of the world or something."

Ding A-Ling was popular, and her blog attracted enough attention that Akunjee felt compelled to reassure everyone that he was not going film anyone in the shower. "Nobody wants to see that anyway," Akunjee said.

Much to his dismay, Akunjee soon found that what he said was not true. Many fans actually did want him to film his teammates in the shower. He also got several requests for locker room selfies with excuses like, "It's not violating anyone's privacy if you take pictures of yourself!"

When he arrived at Syangboche for his start against Bolgano, Akunjee was on his phone deleting messages and muttering to himself, "Holy Mother, what is wrong with people?"

Syangboche was a ballpark notorious for offering a huge home field advantage, mostly because the dizzying altitude tired out opposing teams who were not acclimated. It was a small miracle the park had never caused much controversy in international competition. And it was something Bolgano's pitching staff was not prepared for. The Sherpas racked up two come-from-behind wins when David Hamilton and Victor Iosh got tired and fell apart in the later innings. They completed the sweep with a decisive victory in game 3, but unfortunately, it didn't change the standings in their group because Lisander had been winning too.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

West Phoenicia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2017

Postby West Phoenicia » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:36 am

WP||The West Phoenicia Times

Sports || Health || Technology || Gossip || Domestic Politics || International Politics || Entertainment || World || Religion || Weather

Parent and Moral groups have united to win the fight for decency after the shocking and obscene display by the West Phoenician Baseball cheerleading squad that left many fans outraged and disgusted by the pre-game show which appeared more like the closing act of a strip club.
Leading the charge of these groups was Rev Trevor Meadows of The Prohibition Party and Mrs Karen Woods of the Christian People's Party, who delivered a joint press conference condemning the harlotry, the duo calling on the West Phoenician Baseball Federation to stand down their cheerleading team for the remainder of the season until a proper investigation could be conducted as to how such a sexual pervert dance routine could be approved at a venue where children and families were in attendance.

The speciatacle and subsequent boycott by many fans took centre stage, and overshadowed The Confederates series nine against their arch baseball rivals this season, Nova Anglicana.
After a more demure toned down performance by the West Phoenician cheer squad.

Game one of the ninth season well exceeded the expectations of Confederate coach
Julian Pancretè with a 6-0 victory against Nova Anglicana. Was this a sign of good things to come?
Glen Melbourne, Emanuel Army and Heniel Hewett each scored a run at the top of the first. Jack Navy scored a single run at the top of the fourth, thanks to a sacrifice bunt by Kevin Dances allowed him to reach third base. Abigail Wittman hit a home run with all bases empty at the top of the 8th making it her first home run for the season, while at the top of the ninth Glen Melbourne advanced across all bases to bring home the sixth run this series.
Overall the batters did a fantastic job, but the player of the day goes out to pitcher Cliff Samuel, who pitched a perfect game in the eyes of the West Phoenician coaching staff, for his ability in leading the charge to halt Nova Anglicana from scoring any runs. Cliff's fast ball style helped curb their opponents, and any balls bit was salvaged by the alert fielders who played a tight game.
Clean up pitcher Tiger Singh who joined the pitching party at the bottom of the seventh kept up the streak by ensuring any balls hit by the Nova Anglicana players failed to deliver any home runs.

The high the team received from their first game was very short lived as Nova Anglicana stepped u0 their performance in game two by beating out the Confederates 4-7. While West Phoenician tried to strike back at the top of the 9th, only Kevin Dances was able to score a run against Lion's pitcher
Cory Sharpe whose talent for the dramatic high fast balls and sliders decimated the remaining batting line ups opportunity, due to their desperation to hit anything that was pitched to them, a common issue among the Confederates when they get desperate..

The third game of the series saw team West Phoenicia fail to win the series, with an end of game total of 2-5. Lion pitcher Wyatt Templeton, renowned for his fast ball but the more dangerous curveball killed game three, ending any come back after the top of the second.for the West Phoenician side.

West Phoenicia will now play off against Daskel where they will need to win two of the three games to reach the playoffs.
Last edited by West Phoenicia on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013

Postby Nova Anglicana » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:36 am

Lion's Roar

A SportsWorld Weblog

Playoff Bound, but the struggle is just beginning
by Omega Lion

That's right, blood-faced guy.

Ho-hum. Another series, another 2-1 series win for the Lions. They've now won eight series in a row, almost all of them of the 2-1 variety. Those of you who have been reading this blog regularly know that I've been beating the drum for sweeps since pretty much the first series. Sweeps get you the good seeds in the playoffs, 2-1 series wins merely get you to the playoffs. Against West Phoenicia, the Lions were actually tied for a hot second before pulling away to win the series.

In game 1, Hank Jackson walked two in the first inning before giving up a three-run homer to Heniel Hewett. He'd allow four runs in five innings, more than enough for Confederate hurler Cliff Samuels. Samuels had struggled so far, but he relied on his fastball to pitch six shutout innings before running into trouble in the seventh. The Lions put two runners on with one out, but reliever Tiger Singh came in, ended the threat, and pitched two more shutout innings. The Lions lost 6-0 in a dismal effort. Cory Sharpe won the battle of aces in game 2, as his 7 IP, 3 ER effort bested Mateo Vergas' 5 IP, 5 ER outing. The Lions actually looked like a competent offensive team in their 7-3 win. Finally, Wyatt Templeton bested Ashwyn Sid, only allowing two runs over his seven innings to Sid's three runs over five innings. The Lions tacked on two in the 6th against reliever Ross Mendez for the final 5-2 tally.

The Lions now have a two-game lead over the Confederates going into the last series against Anthor. If they win at least one game, they'll win the group. West Phoenicia has to sweep Daskel and hope Anthor sweeps the Lions in order to win the group. The Lions and Confederates should make the playoffs, but Anthor, Kriegiersien, and even Daskel have vanishingly small shots at the playoffs. Basically, should any of them sweep, and West Phoenicia wins 0-1 games, the Confederates will be staying home. A sweep over Anthor would put any speculation about second place for the Lions to bed. I'm just sayin'.

As for the playoffs, the Lions are currently the worst group winner. This means they would likely take on probable Group 1 second-place finisher and 9th-ranked team in the world Hampton Island. While that would be an epic Round of 16 clash, I'm not looking forward to the Lions either pitching to a home-run hitting bear and taking their chances or wussing out and intentionally walking it. Not to mention a matchup with the overall #1 seed after that. No sirree. How high can the Lions conceivably finish?

0 wins (17 wins overall): They'll be the #8 seed and have some really tough work to do.
1 wins (18 wins overall): Theoretically they could be tied with teams like Sarzonia, Newmanistan, and Free Republics. This would require a lot of help, and run differential means they probably wouldn't finish any higher than 6th. They might still be 8th anyway.
2 wins (19 wins overall): Again, with help, they could beat out teams like those mentioned above, but it's still probably somewhere from 6th-8th.
3 wins (20 wins overall): This is where things get interesting. If they sweep Anthor, and other teams have an imaginable bad day, they could leapfrog all the way to 4th or 5th. If teams have an unimaginably bad day, they could finish as high as 2nd. But again, they could still finish in 8th place if the other group leaders win their series.

When you have the worst record of any group winner, it's really difficult to make up ground. Even in the best case scenario, they could still finish 8th. But a sweep would at least make it competitive. In order to avoid a really tough path to the finals, they ought to sweep Anthor. We'll see if they can finally do it.

Playoff picture from around the Classic:
-Group 1: Abanhfleft has been running away with group 1, but amazingly, they could finish in second place if Hampton Island sweeps them. The Golden Bears have been on fire in the second half, going 10-2.
-Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 40.7/5th
-Group 2: Free Republics and Greater Nordics are already through to the playoffs, but this final series will determine which of them is the first-place team with the easier matchup and which is the second-place team going up against a high-ranked team.
-Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 37.8/1st (tie)
-Group 3: Ko-oren and surprising newcomers South Newlandia have had the run of this group from pretty much day 1, seeing as Equestrian States and Xanneria have gone mostly AWOL. They will play to see who wins the group, though South Newlandia needs a sweep, which is, improbable, to say the least.
-Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 48.8/8th
-Group 4: Hey, that's us! We covered this earlier.
-Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 41/7th
-Group 5: This one is still reasonably close, as former powerhouse Sarzonia has been on a tear, but Lisander and The Sherpa Empire are lurking two games back. Sarzonia will likely finish first, so the battle's for second. I like the Sherpas.
-Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 38.2/3rd (tie)
-Group 6: Cassadaigua just destroyed this group. Five games ahead of the second-place team and averaging over six runs a game. I pity whoever has to face them in the Round of 16. Second place is still wide open, though. A Mushroom Kingdom, Imperial Joseon, and Saintland are all within one game of each other. A three-way tie at 15-15 is still a possibility here.
-Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 37.8/1st (tie)
-Group 7: Newmanistan was definitely the favorite coming into this group, but Liventia is a top-10 team in their own right, and they have finally started acting like it. The Rockets lead by a single game and can guarantee their first place finish by beating Liventia. Should Liventia win the series, they win the group. South Covello still has an outside shot at the playoffs, but they need to sweep Teyneyji and get some help from Newmanistan.
-Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 38.2/3rd (tie)
-Group 8: Banija is the #1 team in the world, and they are treating the rest of the group pretty roughly, with 20 wins and a +59 run differential. With a sweep or two wins against hosts Drawkland, they could conceivably earn the #1 overall seed, though they'd need some helps. The Base Corps look likely to finish second, unless Inner AginanaUsordia pulls off the sweep. It would be a disappointment for the hosts and 12th-ranked nation not to make the playoffs, but they shouldn't be worried.
Average Rank/Difficulty Rank (unrankeds are worth 79): 40.8/6th

Current Playoff Seeding:

#1 Abanhfleft (21-6, +34) vs. #16 Imperial Joseon (14-13, +1)
#2 Banija (20-7, +59) vs. #15 Drawkland (15-12, +2) (unless no re-matches, in which case switch Drawkland and West Phoenicia)
#3 Ko-oren (20-7, +55) vs. #14 West Phoenicia (15-12, +4)
#4 Cassadaigua (19-8, +82) vs. #13 Lisander (16-11, +26)
#5 Free Republics (18-9, +56) vs. #12 South Newlandia (17-10, +3)
#6 Newmanistan (18-9, +51) vs. #11 Liventia (17-10, +12) (unless no re-matches in which case switch Liventia and South Newlandia?)
#7 Sarzonia (18-9, +42) vs. #10 Greater Nordics (17-10, +40)
#8 Nova Anglicana (17-10, +40) vs. #9 Hampton Island (18-9, +30)

More from Lion's Roar
Losing your mind over the Lions? Therapist Alison McIlwaine has some recommendations
WJHC Speculation
Who wins in a fight: Graig Lowman or Orlando Murray?

(OOC: Logo at top shamelessly cribbed from Pride of Detroit, Detroit Lions blog. The opinions expressed above are the opinions of the writer and not necessarily indicative of the opinions of Nova Anglicans or the user behind Nova Anglicana.)
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Hampton Island
Envoy

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hampton Island » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:53 am

(Scenario: Stadium CEO and wildlife expert Richard Miller converse)

Miller: Excuse me sir, do you have a moment?

CEO: Sure, I always have time for you!

Miller: I will start with some good news, and that is Midnight and the female engaged in mating last night. Midnight has been particularly happy since the team completed the sweep of the socialist nation.

CEO: He played really well there. I would have been happy if not only the other team was pitching to me instead of walking me, but also hanging sliders and curveballs the way they were to him.

Miller: It’s great to see his youthful form back every now and then, hopefully he can bring that to Abanhfleft.

CEO: Exactly, we still need one more win or a Hapilopper loss. They have a pretty easy series to finish off with, so I could very well see them sweeping it. Morton (the manager) better make sure that everyone on the team realizes that there is still plenty more work to be done. We must go to Drawkland.

Miller: I have been wondering how Midnight might react on a different planet. How does the transportation there work?

CEO: It’s pretty expensive, but I have heard that chartering a spaceship is possible. That’s what we’ll do. It’s worth it, but hope that have the necessary cargo room to take a live bear as well. Still need one more positive result before I worry about writing that check.

Miller: Sounds interesting.

CEO: It probably is. I have to ask about Midnight. Did he seem normal after engaging with the female? I imagine it has been a while for him. Was he still upbeat?

Miller: I think so. Not sure what he does in his offseason between Classics, but he was positive. They are tolerating one another in there now. The bigger issue was the female and getting her calm with her new surroundings.

CEO: While we are in Abanhfleft, I was thinking we can get another female in there, and let them have time to get acquainted with one another while Midnight is away. If we make the playoffs in Drawkland, we can then bring more in there. If we don’t make the playoffs, then no one cares for another two years and we can take a more conservative approach.

Miller: We can get more, but I would prefer to divide the field between the spaces that the different females occupy, or looking into more fielded areas, and transporting Midnight from field to field. It is not easy to simply, get one. After all, look how long it took Midnight and this female to finally have the interaction we were looking for. Let’s focus on getting her pregnant first, and then once he does that, we can move on to other females. It can be an extended process.

CEO: Very well. As for the cubs that do not exhibit the ability to play baseball, I was thinking we can sell them off to zoos. What do you think?

Miller: I don’t care for that idea just because I think a bear should be able to roam in the wild, but I must agree that I do think that zoos would be interested. Still, we have to give the cubs a chance to be nurtured properly by the mother.

CEO: Of course. That can be part of the weekly show. Watching them grow up and seeing if any of them start becoming like Midnight. That will be season two.

Miller: Right, and remember once she eventually gives birth, you do not ever come between a female and her young cubs.

CEO: That’s fine, we have no reason to do that. We’d have two years for the next Classic.
Campionato Esportiva 28 Champions
Two-time World Cup Qualifier (85, 86)
NSSCRA Also-rans

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Final Joy In The Jungle Of Portside

Postby TJUN-ia » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:40 am

TJUN-ia and Terre Septentrionale can't seem to avoid each other in recent times. This is the 2nd baseball series between the 2, while we recently met at IAC9. The last race race in NSSCRA was also in the Northern Land.

So this some sort of rivalry would be the final series played at the Rounders Field in Portside. The Jungle (no correlation to The Jungle in Newmanistan, because at least we have some respect for our opponents) has seen some definite highs and lows for this young baseball team. Will the curtain closer be joyous, or another missed opportunity. Only one way to find out....

GAME 1
Gene Almac had an alright day on the mound. The Jags were trickling runs onto the scoreboard and looked good until a 3-run homer in the 7th by Garrett Strzelecki. We couldn't overturn that mistake. 5-4 final to the Nordiques.

GAME 2
No one expected Jose Almas to do much this game but he ended up with an 8-inning shutout. Early homers by Ki (3rd) and Gregory (4th) made this game look to be sorted out. Then Carlos Buena entered the game and allowed 5. He was quickly replaced by F. G. Greenwood, who managed to pull off the save. 6-5 final to the Jaguars. Series Tied 1-1

GAME 3
Kyle McNash managed to do what Almas couldn't: a perfect game. The first one in TJUN-ian history in our final home game. 3 of the 4 runs came from a Llorente homer, the other was run in by Kagawa. But the main hero was McNash, who was pilled on by the entire team after the game. 4-0 final, series won!

Now onto Devonta. The United States of Devonta. 5th @ 6th to decide who will finish higher. The message from the coaches is simple: don't finish last.

SCHEDULE
S1 (G1/G2/G3): @Free Republics (4) - Nicholls Air Park, Baseton L 0-3 (4th [Run Differential])
S2 (G4/G5/G6): @Swiaji (UR) W 2-1 (4th [Run Differential])
S3 (G7/G8/G9): vs The Greater Nordics (12) - Rounders Field, Portside L 0-3 (5th)
S4 (G10/G11/G12): @Terre Septentrionale (29) - Park Filipowicz, Trzeszczyn L 1-2 (5th)
S5 (G13/G14/G15): vs United States of Devonta (24) - Rounders Field, Portside W 3-0 (4th [H2H])
S6 (G16/G17/G18): vs Free Republics (4) - Rounders Field, Portside L 1-2 (4th [H2H])
S7 (G19/G20/G21): vs Swiaji (UR) - Rounders Field, Portside L 1-2 (5th)
S8 (G22/G23/G24): @The Greater Nordics (12) - National Baseball Stadium, Copenhagen L 1-2 (5th)
S9 (G25/G26/G27): vs Terre Spetentrionale (29) - Rounders Field, Portside W 2-1 (5th)
S10 (G28/G29/G30): @United States of Devonta (24)
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Saintland Results Not Great, but Fillies Win Group,
by Chelsea Dufresne, Concord Heights Times

Team Cassadaigua was victorious in the opening game at Royal Park in St. Petrus, Saintland in an impressive fashion, winning 11-2. However, they would be shut down in the final two games of the series by the team playing for their playoff lives, 3-1, and 3-2. The third game needed ten innings. This series result dropped Cassadaigua to 19-8 in the group, but was enough to officially lay claim to the top spot within the group. Saintland is now 13-14 and clings to slim amount of hope, but must find themselves rooting for the Fillies in order for that to happen.

Maddie Polanco was asked if there would be any changes to the lineup for the upcoming series against A Mushroom Kingdom in Concord Heights, and she stated that, “I will not make changes initially, but as the games may go on, you may see me substitute players in to give them an opportunity to play more, but it will really depend on how the specific games go. I may also take starting pitchers out earlier then I normally would, but even that is subject to the flow of the game.” Cassadaigua has fallen out of the potential #2 seed for the playoffs for now, and they would now be fourth. They trail Abanhfleft by two games, and now Banija and Ko-oren by a single game. The Fillies are a game ahead of a three way tie over three former champions: Newmanistan, Free Republics, and Sarzonia. Since they are not in our group, I haven’t really mentioned Sarzonia this year, but they were unranked into the competition, but did get a pretty easy group draw other then The Sherpa Empire. Kudos to that squad.

In terms of our opponents, A Mushroom Kingdom finds themselves tied with Imperial Joseon for second, and they each lead Saintland by a game. The Sanctii are going to the unranked side from Imperial Joseon for a three game set, so they will control their own destiny regards to them. However, they still need help from us with A Mushroom Kingdom. They can take solace in knowing that while the Fillies will not be looking to finish strong to benefit their rivals, that Cassadaigua is still going to play the full roster and look for the three game sweep!
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:42 pm

ELEPHANT VALLEY MAIL
Sports -> Baseball
South Newlandia reaches playoffs and makes history

South Newlandia won 2 games in the Equestrian States and qualifies for the playoffs in Darwkland with three games remaining. South Newlandia profited from Ko-oren sweeping Northwest Kalactin, ensuring their elimination. South Newlandia is the first unranked team to secure the playoff spot, even though Sarzonia will likely follow, and Daskel, Kriegiersien, Imperial Joseon and Inner AginanaUsordia at least keeping chances to make the playoffs.

Game 1
South Newlandia                    0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2  3
Equestrian States 0 0 0 0 0 1 6 0 X 7

The first game wasn’t actually going well for South Newlandia. Shortstop Steve Ruiz was back in the lineup, but Ian Pearce was not yet playing again after his injury. His replacement on 3rd Base was David Drum. The game saw a pitcher’s duel up to the 6th inning, when Blake Robbins made the first mistake, allowing a 1-0 lead for the States. South Newlandia bounced right back with a run by Adam King, but after that, a tired-looking Robbins allowed 6 runs in the bottom of the 7th. South Newlandia never gave up, though, and scored two more runs by Fabio Ventura and Adam King. This didn’t change the outcome of the game, and the end result was 3-7.

Game 2
South Newlandia                    0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0  4
Equestrian States 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 3

Game 2 was slow again. In the bottom of the 4th an equally-tired looking Jack Miller made a mistake, allowing a home run and giving the States an 2-0 lead. He was then replaced by Ryan Hunter. South Newlandia scored the decisive runs in the 6th inning, getting runs with Adam King, Gregor Garner, Jake Davidson and David Drum to take a 4-2 lead. The States got another run in the 8th, but the final score was a win for South Newlandia anyway.

Game 3
South Newlandia                    1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0  2
Equestrian States 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Game 3 was pitched by Jacob Conroy. He was the only pitcher on the team that didn’t look as tired, and he crushed the States, allowing no runs and just 4 hits. South Newlandia won 2-0 thanks to a run by Gregor Garner in the 1st and another run by David Drum, hitting a solo homer, in the 4th inning.
Meanwhile, Ko-oren swept Northwest Kalactin. This means that Northwest Kalactin is now 4 wins behind, ensuring the playoff-spot for South Newlandia with three games remaining.

All matches:
Equestrian States 1-2 South Newlandia (7-3; 3-4; 0-2)

Ko-oren 3-0 Northwest Kalactin (3-2; 8-6; 9-5)
Ko-oren also ensures their playoff-spot with a sweep against Northwest Kalactin, beating them in three relatively close games.

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 0-3 Xanneria (1-2; 1-3; 2-3)
World number 18 Xanneria saved a little bit of dignity with a sweep in Quebec. Both teams are eliminated either way.

Current standings:
1 Ko-oren 27 20 7 166 111 +55
2 South Newlandia 27 17 10 93 90 +3
3 Northwest Kalactin 27 13 14 129 114 +15
4 Xanneria 27 12 15 92 108 −16
5 The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 27 10 17 113 119 −6
6 Equestrian States 27 9 18 98 149 −51

Schedule:
Ko-oren @ South Newlandia
Equestrian States @ Xanneria
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec @ Northwest Kalactin

The first series is the only one that matters, seeing that all 4 other teams are eliminated. South Newlandia can actually still win the group, provided that they win all three games against Ko-oren. Even though this is unlikely, every win counts to ensure a good seed for the playoffs. Even one win could go a long way there, as many strong teams are waiting in Drawkland.

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:57 pm

THE ROCKET REPORT

SUDDEN SLUMP

by Brianne Henry,

Newmanistan is picking a poor time to play bad baseball. As the competition nears the end of the group stage, the Rockets have lost four of their last six games, and have fallen to 18-9 in the group. There is no false sense of security right now despite bring in the top spot. They have seen their lead over Liventia gradually be reduced, and now with the final series being a road series against the Liventians, who have been a recent nemesis even before this Classic as previously documented, there is little room for outsiders to be confident. The Rockets may be. They better be. The problem is not as much Liventia as it is South Covello, the team who just beat us twice in Jessicaville. They are 15-12, and would have the tiebreaker over us. I think anyone will say that if we lost the playoff spot by being swept by Liventia and South Covello sweeping last place Teyniyji, that we never belonged in the playoffs in the first place. While a failure to make the playoffs is in the back of our mind, the bigger concern is that the team would not go into the playoffs on good form. That is, unless, they showed up and played really well against Liventia.

That is not where the trend lies, and it is hard to really pinpoint where this team is going wrong. One loss, they pitch well but can’t hit. Next loss, they hit well but can’t keep the other team from scoring almost at will. Offense was the biggest problem against South Covello, and the most notable cold bats are the cleanup batter, 21-year old Lexi Burrows, who was 1-for-11 in the series, and 23-year old Sierra McKinley, who was 2-for-11, though struck out six times. For McKinley, that is particularly frustrating since she is a member of the Jessicaville Millionaires, and the games were played in Jessicaville. Burrows’ numbers are a little more troubling, since she was also just 2-12 in the Chromatika series, putting her at 3-for-23 in her last six games. All three of her hits have come in the two games that the Rockets have won. So, is the answer to move Lexi out of the lineup, or at least move her down in the lineup? Manager Ashley Hedstrom has not publicly stated what she would do in regards to that, but said that the team stands by Burrows and feels she is about to break out. On one hand, you want a manager that is supportive of the players, and six games should not make or break a players’ international career especially when they had hit the ball quite well leading up to the slump. On the other hand, you have to wonder if Burrows, due to being young, is caving under the pressure of the group stage and, assuming the team does make the playoffs, that such pressure could continue to consume her against whoever our first round opponent would be. As far as Sierra McKinley is concerned the problem is bigger, because she is not making contact. Striking out six times in eleven at bats is never getting it done, but McKinley is not usually a hitter that strikes out much to begin with. Overall, she did not have the same gaudy numbers that Burrows was having before the struggles began, so despite being a couple years older, she is the better example of a player caving under the pressure. McKinley is expected to get a chance in the first game of the series, but if she were to struggle, do not be surprised to see either Taylor Rethke or Kelsey Hawke get the start at 2B instead. If Hedstrom were to do that, she would likely want to move up 1B Chelsea Harlow, another 21-year old WBC rookie, in the batting order. Harlow has been productive. Nothing necessarily glamorous or that jumps out at you, but overall, her stat lines are not the recent problem with the team. I’m not sure if Nicole Larkin would be moved around in the batting lineup or not. She presently hits fifth, and while she can and will hit HR’s, Burrows is definitely the most capable power threat on this team, and she must start hitting better.

On the mound, the pitchers can take some of the blame for the losses to Chromatika, but are mostly off the hook when it comes to the South Covello series. Youngster Kelsie Carmichael took the hill in the first game and had an outing that some other countries could consider acceptable for a starting pitcher, but falls short of that with Newmanistanian standards. She tossed six innings, allowed four runs (three earned), and struck out eight. Unfortunately, the team never gave her any support, and Newmanistan quietly lost the opener, 5-1. In the second game, the veteran Hannah Lee tossed a gem, and the Rockets needed every bit of it to get the one win that they managed in the series. This was a 2-1 result, and it saw Lee throw a complete game, striking out ten. The finale saw the team needing a great start from the inconsistent Cassie Burke, and they got it. She threw eight innings, and allowed just two runs on five hits, but did not get enough run support. Newmanistan scored two as well, and the game went into extended extra innings. In the past, the known secret to beating the Rockets was to get into our bullpen, and in a 15-inning affair, Newmanistan lost 4-3, giving up two in the top of the inning before getting one back in the bottom half.

The stage now is set. We could look at this positively and say that Newmanistan could extract some long overdue revenge on Liventia by sweeping them on their home turf and eliminating them from making the playoffs, since everyone expects South Covello to take care of Teyniyji. That actually would be welcomed payback in return for them shocking us in the first round of the World Baseball Classic 46 playoffs on our home turf. Unfortunately, when the team is not on good form, and the Liventians are, it is pretty hard to have that mindset. Although, Newmanistan was on great form going into that World Baseball Classic 46 playoff series. Returning the favor could be a great storyline. We can hope for that. Be positive, we are the Rockets. We are the team that should be feared, not the other way around!
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Drawkland
Senator

Democratic Socialists

WBC 48 Group Stage Series 10

Postby Drawkland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:01 pm

GROUP STAGE - SERIES 10
Happy Trails to all the teams leaving us after this series! Thanks for the great group stage.

Group 1
Game 1
Hampton Island 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 2 0 4
Abanhfleft 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2

Hapilopper 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 4
Nooooooooooooooo 0 0 3 0 0 2 0 0 X 5

Democratic Publicity Stunts 0 1 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 4
Pripet Socialist Republic 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 2 X 5

Game 2
Hampton Island 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Abanhfleft 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 X 4

Hapilopper 0 1 0 1 2 0 0 0 5 9
Nooooooooooooooo 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 3

Democratic Publicity Stunts 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 3
Pripet Socialist Republic 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Game 3
Hampton Island 2 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 6
Abanhfleft 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hapilopper 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 3
Nooooooooooooooo 0 0 1 0 6 0 1 2 X 10

Democratic Publicity Stunts 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 6
Pripet Socialist Republic 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 4

Group 1                      Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Abanhfleft 30 22 8 142 113 +29
2 Hampton Island 30 20 10 142 107 +35
3 Hapilopper 30 16 14 135 111 +24
4 Democratic Publicity Stunts 30 14 16 104 129 −25
5 Nooooooooooooooo 30 10 20 126 139 −13
6 Pripet Socialist Republic 30 8 22 97 147 −50

Group 2
Game 1
Free Republics 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
The Greater Nordics 2 0 2 0 1 0 0 1 X 6

Swiaji 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 0 6
Terre Septentrionale 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 2 1 1 7

TJUN-ia 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4
Devonta 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 2 2 6

Game 2
Free Republics 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
The Greater Nordics 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 X 2

Swiaji 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 3
Terre Septentrionale 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 2 X 4

TJUN-ia 0 1 1 2 1 2 0 1 3 11
Devonta 0 0 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 4

Game 3
Free Republics 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 3
The Greater Nordics 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 2

Swiaji 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 1 0 0 4
Terre Septentrionale 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 2 6

TJUN-ia 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 4
Devonta 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 1 5

Group 2               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Free Republics 30 19 11 157 106 +51
2 The Greater Nordics 30 19 11 148 103 +45
3 Terre Septentrionale 30 17 13 125 131 −6
4 TJUN-ia 30 12 18 115 143 −28
5 Swiaji 30 12 18 120 151 −31
6 Devonta 30 11 19 125 156 −31

Group 3
Game 1
Ko-oren 1 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 4
South Newlandia 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1

Equestrian States 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Xanneria 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 X 3

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Northwest Kalactin 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 X 6

Game 2
Ko-oren 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
South Newlandia 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 X 4

Equestrian States 1 0 1 0 0 2 1 0 0 5
Xanneria 2 0 1 1 0 0 4 1 X 9

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 1 2 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 6
Northwest Kalactin 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Game 3
Ko-oren 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2
South Newlandia 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 0 X 5

Equestrian States 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 2 5
Xanneria 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 4
Northwest Kalactin 0 0 0 0 3 0 2 0 X 5

1 Ko-oren 30 21 9 172 121 +51
2 South Newlandia 30 19 11 103 96 +7
3 Northwest Kalactin 30 15 15 140 124 +16
4 Xanneria 30 14 16 106 119 −13
5 The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 30 11 19 123 130 −7
6 Equestrian States 30 10 20 109 163 −54

Group 4
Game 1
Daskel 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 2
West Phoenicia 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 X 4

Nova Anglicana 0 0 3 0 0 0 4 0 0 7
Anthor 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 1 5

Oscioru 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Kriegiersien 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 X 3

Game 2
Daskel 1 1 0 0 1 0 6 3 0 12
West Phoenicia 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 2 0 5

Nova Anglicana 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 4
Anthor 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 X 5

Oscioru 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 1 4
Kriegiersien 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 3

Game 3
Daskel 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2
West Phoenicia 1 0 3 1 0 0 0 0 X 5

Nova Anglicana 0 3 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 6
Anthor 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 1 0 4

Oscioru 0 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 4 10
Kriegiersien 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 2 1 0 6

Group 4               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Nova Anglicana 30 19 11 142 99 +43
2 West Phoenicia 30 17 13 133 129 +4
3 Anthor 30 14 16 122 118 +4
4 Kriegiersien 30 14 16 122 133 −11
5 Oscioru 30 13 17 116 153 −37
6 Daskel 30 13 17 135 138 −3

Group 5
Game 1
The Sherpa Empire 0 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 3
Cascom 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Lisander 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Sarzonia 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 X 2

St. Saratoga 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1
Bolgano 0 0 1 0 3 2 2 1 X 9

Game 2
The Sherpa Empire 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 6
Cascom 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Lisander 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 3
Sarzonia 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2

St. Saratoga 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
Bolgano 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 X 2

Game 3
The Sherpa Empire 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 3 0 5
Cascom 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 3

Lisander 0 0 0 4 2 1 0 0 1 8
Sarzonia 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 2

St. Saratoga 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 1 0 0 0 2 7
Bolgano 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 0 0 1 6

Group 5               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Sarzonia 30 19 11 151 115 +36
2 The Sherpa Empire 30 19 11 136 106 +30
3 Lisander 30 18 12 152 120 +32
4 St. Saratoga 30 13 17 107 149 −42
5 Bolgano 30 12 18 124 147 −23
6 Cascom 30 9 21 119 152 −33

Group 6
Game 1
Mushroom Kingdom 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Cassadaigua 0 0 0 5 0 2 0 0 X 7

Saintland 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 2 4
Imperial Joseon 0 0 1 0 3 0 0 3 X 7

Gekkeom 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
The Sarian 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 1 X 5

Game 2
Mushroom Kingdom 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Cassadaigua 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 X 2

Saintland 3 0 0 0 1 8 1 0 1 14
Imperial Joseon 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1

Gekkeom 0 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 5
The Sarian 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 2 6

Game 3
Mushroom Kingdom 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 2
Cassadaigua 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 3 X 5

Saintland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Imperial Joseon 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 X 3

Gekkeom 1 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 6
The Sarian 0 0 1 0 2 0 1 0 0 4

Group 6               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Cassadaigua 30 22 8 188 94 +94
2 Imperial Joseon 30 16 14 142 148 −6
3 Mushroom Kingdom 30 14 16 119 117 +2
4 Saintland 30 14 16 110 133 −23
5 The Sarian 30 14 16 134 155 −21
6 Gekkeom 30 10 20 107 153 −46

Group 7
Game 1
Newmanistan 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 3
Liventia 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 6

Chromatika 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Brooklyn and Queens 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 X 4

Teyniyji 0 1 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 5
South Covello 1 6 0 0 0 1 0 0 X 8

Game 2
Newmanistan 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
Liventia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1

Chromatika 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 4
Brooklyn and Queens 0 3 0 0 4 2 0 0 X 9

Teyniyji 0 1 0 0 3 0 0 2 0 6
South Covello 1 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 4

Game 3
Newmanistan 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 2 5 10
Liventia 0 1 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 5

Chromatika 0 1 1 0 0 4 1 0 1 8
Brooklyn and Queens 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 1 4

Teyniyji 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2
South Covello 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Group 7               Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Newmanistan 30 20 10 166 110 +56
2 Liventia 30 18 12 130 123 +7
3 South Covello 30 16 14 126 109 +17
4 Chromatika 30 14 16 110 120 −10
5 Brooklyn and Queens 30 14 16 112 130 −18
6 Teyniyji 30 8 22 102 154 −52

Group 8
Game 1
Banija 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 5
Drawkland 0 0 0 4 0 3 0 0 X 7

Drunk People at the Local Tavern 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 2
Kita-Hinode 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 X 5

Inner AginanaUsordia 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
HUElavia 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3

Game 2
Banija 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
Drawkland 1 0 2 0 1 0 0 1 X 5

Drunk People at the Local Tavern 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 2
Kita-Hinode 2 0 0 2 4 1 0 3 X 12

Inner AginanaUsordia 1 0 0 0 3 1 0 0 0 5
HUElavia 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Game 3
Banija 0 0 1 0 4 4 0 0 0 9
Drawkland 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2

Drunk People at the Local Tavern 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
Kita-Hinode 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 5

Inner AginanaUsordia 0 0 1 0 0 0 3 0 4 8
HUElavia 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 3

Group 8                           Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Banija 30 21 9 163 101 +62
2 Drawkland 30 17 13 126 127 −1
3 Inner AginanaUsordia 30 16 14 146 132 +14
4 Kita-Hinode 30 15 15 131 127 +4
5 HUElavia 30 11 19 109 154 −45
6 Drunk People at the Local Tavern 30 10 20 125 159 −34

Top Seed
Bottom Seed
Last edited by Drawkland on Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United Dalaran wrote:Goddammit, comrade. I just knew that someday some wild, capitalist, imperialist interstellar empire will swallow our country.

CN on the RMB wrote:drawkland's leader has survived so many assassination attempts that I am fairly certain he is fidel castro in disguise

Drawkland
Senator

Democratic Socialists

WBC 48 Playoff Seedings

Postby Drawkland » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 pm

PLAYOFF SEEDINGS
The matchups will be arranged 1v16, 2v15, etc. Nations may be switched to avoid group stage rematches in the first round. There will be no reseeding for later rounds.
Once again, every round will be Best of 5 Series, except the Championship Series which will be Best of 7.

Top Seeds                    Pld    W   L    RF   RA   RD 
1 Cassadaigua 30 22 8 188 94 +94
1 Abanhfleft 30 22 8 142 113 +29
1 Banija 30 21 9 163 101 +62
1 Newmanistan 30 20 10 166 110 +56
1 Free Republics 30 19 11 157 106 +51
1 Nova Anglicana 30 19 11 142 99 +43
1 Sarzonia 30 19 11 151 115 +36

Bottom Seeds Pld W L RF RA RD
2 Hampton Island 30 20 10 142 107 +35
2 The Greater Nordics 30 19 11 148 103 +45
2 The Sherpa Empire 30 19 11 136 106 +30
2 Liventia 30 18 12 130 123 +7
2 West Phoenicia 30 17 13 133 129 +4
2 Drawkland 30 17 13 126 127 −1
2 Imperial Joseon 30 16 14 142 148 −6

Round of 16 Matchups

#1 Cassadaigua vs #15 Drawkland*
@ Seven Stars Stadium, Centivar County

#2 Abanhfleft vs #16 Imperial Joseon*
@ The Starfield, Chelstio

#3 Banija vs #14 West Phoenicia
@ Hydrogen Cyanide Field, Drawk City

#4 Ko-oren vs #13 Liventia
@ Valsum Hills Ballpark, Raikennax

#5 Newmanistan vs #12 South Newlandia
@ Corps Central Park, Drawk City

#6 Free Republics vs #11 The Sherpa Empire
@ Capital Park, Metropolon

#7 Nova Anglicana vs #10 The Greater Nordics
@ Riverfront Field, Pittsennat

#8 Sarzonia vs #9 Hampton Island
@ Pickmen Stadium, Cemmendy

*Switched to prevent group stage rematch between Cassadaigua and Imperial Joseon.

Venue information will be added tomorrow, along with RP information for the remaining 4 venues.
Last edited by Drawkland on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:35 pm

In the end, the final two games didn't matter all that much.

After Sarzonia defeated Lisander 2-1 in the opener, they could no longer be overtaken in the Group 5 table by the 15th ranked team in the world. The Stars still wanted to pick up their 20th victory of the group stage and strengthen their position in the knockout rounds now that they were officially in.

Unfortunately, with closer Tyrell Douglass having pitched the previous night and tossing 39 pitches to notch the save, he was unavailable for the game. With Scott Lassiter already out after having pitched the eighth, Myron Daniels came on in an unfamiliar role, a save situation.

Lisander sent up a right handed pinch hitter to lead off the top of the ninth inning. He hammered a 2-1 curveball well over the 335 foot sign in left field to draw the score level. Daniels was done, but the bullpen let down the Stars in the 10th.

As for the third game, the Sherpas 5-3 win over fellow unranked side Cascom meant would have to lose by 13 runs to cough up the group title. They decided to send out their fifth starter Brian Lynch, but he only lasted for 3-2/3 innings before the Stars used their long relief corps.

After the last out, Sarzonia (19-11) learned they had the No. 8 seed and that their opponents would be Group 1 runners up Hampton Island, the only second place side with a better win-loss record than Sarzonia. They won two out of three in their final series, an away set against group winners and No. 2 overall seeds Abanhfleft. Cassadaigua won the top overall seed with a better run differential at plus-94 to plus-29 for the Fleftics.

If the Stars advance to the quarterfinals, they could potentially face Cassadaigua, but Manager Geoff Yancey was undeterred.

Right now, we're focusing on Hampton Island," he said
That will be a tough enough opponent without looking ahead."

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 am

The towers of Katashi loomed in the distance, and they just did not get any closer. Maybe we should not have opted for the ferry from Arakura to Katashi. It might be a direct line, from the biggest port in the east to the biggest city in the east, but we were now desperately at risk of running late for the final two games. Our hotel in northern Katashi booked, our plans were set from the start: run off the boat, two blocks, check in, dump our bags, and take metro Green from there to Maesaki Park. Forty-five minutes for the entire operation - and that means missing the anthems, but not the first pitch. However, at the lobby in Arakura, we saw forty-five minutes turn to forty. To thirty-five. Bad winds on the ferry's trip into Arakura.

On board, we gathered our thoughts of our trip for the previous week and a half. Just a few more days to go, our flight from Katashi to Santa Teresa would be in four days. Katashi probably deserves a more thorough inspection, but we've already made a promise to visit the city again during the regular season, visiting both the Giants and the Generals, hopefully in a Stars or Scorpions away game. Maybe even pop down south for a Suvira Quarry game or something, completely oblivious to the sneaky distances out there. Leleia feels like a small island, how far can Suvira really be from Katashi? But then we're reminded of how small distances are in Finisterre, and we've never really ventured out further than Ferrovente from Santa Teresa - and that's a noticeably smaller distance on the map. Soon enough, the towers of Katashi came into sight. The collective unconscious in Ko-oren dictates that the Towers (capital T!) are a sight to behold, but this might be my baseball-loving Finisterran speaking, but I just can't see the appeal. Katashi is stuck between hills on the east and west, both of those landmasses leading into different parts of Leleia. Katashi itself is located on the isthmus between them, a densely packed city that's used to doing everything on its own.

And then it happened.

Wait, not something as drastic as that sentence.

Our spot in the docks was still taken up by another ferry, about to head the other way back to Arakura - and now thirty-five minutes went down to thirty. We had to be on the metro for a good twenty minutes, so there's only ten minutes for finding the hotel and dropping off our things. Add to that the fact that honestly we can't read signs and station names in Katashi, and we're staring at a nasty end to our trip. We haven't missed a pitch so far, and we wanted to keep it that way.

Meanwhile, results from the rest of the group poured in. Together with the Dragonflies' win over Northwest Kalactin, South Newlandia lost 7-3 to the Equestrian States in a game that we can only describe as starting very late. 7-3 isn't a scoreline you associate with a game that was 0-0 halfway through the 6th inning. Anyhow, the Equestrians scored six runs in an inning, and now Ko-oren were in a fantastic position. You could almost not mess this up, with five games to go. But then again, we've seen better teams mess up better positions. South Newlandia were in the middle of a 4-run inning already, for instance.

And finally, the spot at the quay was open. We were first to leave, sprinting off in hopefully the right direction. Street names, storefronts, and notices of all kinds were staring at us, menacingly, in glyphs of all kinds that we couldn't recognise. Past the red building, two blocks, turn left, it's the hotel that says 'Hotel' legibly. That's all I knew. Luckily for us, we got there in time. Checking in was easy now, as this was our fifth lodging already. We found the metro. Damn. Wouldn't get here for another five minutes. Thirty minutes to go.
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 am

ELEPHANT VALLEY MAIL
Sports -> Baseball
South Newlandia gets seed 12, faces Newmanistan

It was a strange team selection for the World Baseball Classic 48. Among the 16 teams going to Drawkland are the 13 best teams of the tournament on paper, and they are joined by 3 unranked teams. As all of pot 1 and 5 pot 2 teams make the playoffs, the best team missing the playoffs will be world number 15 Lisander, after world number 5 Ethane did not participate at all. South Newlandia won two of their home games against the world number three Ko-oren and make 12th seed in total. Ko-oren takes 4th seed, and the two teams are, as already known, going to Drawkland.

Game 1
Ko-oren                            1 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 0  4
South Newlandia 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1

Game 1 secured the group win for Ko-oren. South Newlandia played with their standard line-up, including Ian Pearce. Once again, the offensive weaknesses in South Newlandias team were visible, and Ko-oren did not wait for them. Ko-oren took the lead scoring runs in the 1st, 3rd and 5th inning to make the score 4-0 early. The runs were scored by Dodo Ritsushima (2), Juan Berganza and Kiro Ogasawara. In the 7th inning, Adam King secured a run for South Newlandia, but it was too little too late. Ko-oren took the win in Game 1.

Game 2
Ko-oren                            0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0  0
South Newlandia 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 X 4

Game 2 was pitched by Jacob Conroy, who did not disappoint. He only allowed 6 hits and no runs, proving to be the strongest pitcher of the team again. South Newlandia claimed the win after runs by Jake Davidson in the 2nd inning and a home run by Igor White in the 3rd inning with Fabio Ventura and George Webber on the bases. They never lost their 4-0 lead throughout the remainder of the match.

Game 3
Ko-oren                            0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2  2
South Newlandia 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 0 X 5

Game 3 was pitched by Blake Robbins, and he did not disappoint either. South Newlandia took the lead in the 3rd, with Fabio Ventura scoring. In the 7th inning, they got 4 more runs, scored by Fabio Ventura, Igor White, Adam King and Gregor Garner. In the 9th inning, Ko-oren seemed to remember that wins mattered for the seeding, and they tried to make a comeback. They scored two runs by Uji Okudaira and Jasuviro Esumi, and South Newlandia won by 5-2.

Among the 16 playoff teams, it is easy to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of South Newlandia. The young, unranked team has the second-fewest runs against with 96 runs against, only behind top seed and world number 2 Cassadaigua with 94 runs against. They also have – by far – the worst offense of the 16 teams. They scored 103 runs in 30 games, not even 4 on average. The team with the second-worst offense is host nation and seed 15 Drawkland, with 126 runs – 23 more than South Newlandia. Cassadaigua, the top seed, even scored 188 runs.

All matches:
South Newlandia 2-1 Ko-oren (1-4; 4-0; 5-2)

Xanneria 2-1 Equestrian States (3-1; 9-5; 2-5)
Xanneria gets 4th place in the group after winning two games against world number 16 Equestrian States, who remain in last.

Northwest Kalactin 2-1 The Royal Kingdom of Quebec (6-0; 0-6; 5-4)
Northwest Kalactin finishes on a respectable 3rd place, 4 wins shy of the playoffs. Quebec is in 5th.

Final group standings:
3 Northwest Kalactin 30 15 15 140 124 +16
4 Xanneria 30 14 16 106 119 −13
5 The Royal Kingdom of Quebec 30 11 19 123 130 −7
6 Equestrian States 30 10 20 109 163 −54

Schedule Round of 16:
#1 Cassadaigua vs #15 Drawkland*
#2 Abanhfleft vs #16 Imperial Joseon*
#3 Banija vs #14 West Phoenicia
#4 Ko-oren vs #13 Liventia
#5 Newmanistan vs #12 South Newlandia
#6 Free Republics vs #11 The Sherpa Empire
#7 Nova Anglicana vs #10 The Greater Nordics
#8 Sarzonia vs #9 Hampton Island

There is hardly a better opponent to get introduced into the playoffs with. Newmansitan is currently the 7th best team in the world, and they are historically the strongest baseball-nation. They won the trophy 6 times so far, most recently in WBC 43, and reached the final 11 times, most recently in WBC 45. They are also the nation with the most hosts, as they hosted the tournament 7 times already, including WBC 44 and WBC 46. South Newlandia will be a huge underdog here, but they were a huge underdog in their group as well.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports