NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Lion's Share

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] The Lion's Share

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:48 pm

I've taken over main authorship of this project I was working on with Aussie a while ago. He's obviously still co-author, though. I've tried to slim it down a bit, and elaborate more on the decisions being presented.

The Lion's Share

Description

David @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, an independent film writer from overseas, has claimed that the massive @@DEMONYM@@ film studio Idney violated his copyright when they produced the hit film, "The Lion Prince". However, upon travelling to @@NAME@@ to take legal action, he discovered that his limited funds simply couldn't hold up against Idney's massive legal budget.
Validity
Capitalist, has Copyright, has Courts
Co-Authored by Australian rePublic

Option 1
"I came to @@NAME@@ to get justice!" complains David @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, cherry-picking scenes to exaggerate the similarities. "But I can't get any! While I can barely afford animation software, Idney has rooms and rooms of animators! I can't afford the best lawyers, but Idney can. This is unfair! Why does the law assume we're capable of equally representing ourselves? Make the state pay the legal fees of the little guy!"
Validity
All
Outcome
the state pays children to sue television companies for copying their crayon drawings

Option 2
"This is @@NAME@@, justice should favour the rich, damnit!" utters Goliath @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, chief executive of Idney, "What I meant was, uh... our film is totally different. See, in David's work, the hippo is standing on both legs on the right, whilst in ours, the hippo is standing on one leg on the left. See, totally different! Mr. @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ is just being ridiculous! We have to pay for our own lawyers, so why should he get a free ride? We're still equal under the law."
Validity
All
Outcome
changing minutiae gives companies get-out-of-copyright-free cards

Option 3
@@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ 'Slingshot' @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, a small-time lawyer representing David, interjects. "Ahem. The issue here isn't that Mr @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ cannot afford good lawyers, it's an issue of monetary compensation. The law here states that the loser of a lawsuit must pay the winner's court fees, subject to judicial approval. It's a risk Mr @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ cannot afford to take - paying Idney's legal fees would bankrupt him! Change this law, @@LEADER@@, and you will do wonders for our legal system."
Validity
All
Outcome
company executives spend more time in the courtroom than the boardroom

Option 4
"Ah, but there is another way!" exclaims TV executive @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Why don't you do away with copyright laws altogether? Then, my company could air both of these cartoons and let the people be the judge! Not to mention the advertising revenue - if I can cram both movies with sponsorships, my prof- ahem, my company's profits would skyrocket!"
Validity
All
Outcome
the same soup reheated is instead the same show rebranded
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Tue May 05, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:53 pm

I assumed you were gonna TG me when the thread was ready. I guess I was wrong
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:55 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I assumed you were gonna TG me when the thread was ready. I guess I was wrong

I was in the middle of writing a TG... oh well. It's relatively similar to the last one in terms of content and story, but slimmed down a little bit.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:58 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I assumed you were gonna TG me when the thread was ready. I guess I was wrong

I was in the middle of writing a TG... oh well. It's relatively similar to the last one in terms of content and story, but slimmed down a little bit.

Really? Sorry about that. Considering we already discussed this earlier, I assumed you were just gonna send the link. That's what I wouldda done. Looking great, but there are a few typos
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:there are a few typos

oops... Caught one, but the rest looks a-ok to me.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:04 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:re-writing some of the scenes in order to exaggerate the similarities

If he's doing the above, he wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. How about just showing the script to highlight the similarities?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:06 pm

Baggieland wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:re-writing some of the scenes in order to exaggerate the similarities

If he's doing the above, he wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. How about just showing the script to highlight the similarities?

Good point

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Baggieland wrote:If he's doing the above, he wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. How about just showing the script to highlight the similarities?

Good point

Alright, edited.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:04 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote: The law here states that the loser of a lawsuit must pay the winner's court fees, subject to judicial approval.
It does? That seems like too strange a law for you to assume @@NAME@@ has.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:05 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote: The law here states that the loser of a lawsuit must pay the winner's court fees, subject to judicial approval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_rule_(attorney%27s_fees)
The English rule provides that the party who loses in court pays the other party's legal costs.
Nearly every Western democracy other than the United States follows the English rule.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 pm

Regarding the English Rule: huh! You learn something new every day! :) In the issue, an explanatory remark about how that's a common law might help. But maybe that's just me.
Something else:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Make the state pay the legal fees of the little guy!"
This isn't very clear. Legally, what defines "little guy"? And isn't the problem that Mr. David's lawyers are bad? It sounds like he doesn't need the state to pay his fees and get him a lawyer. Unless he wants the state to buy him a big expensive lawyer — but don't crazy options go at the end? I mean, that's not viable in any way, and it's certainly not being presented as the wacky option.
Last edited by Authoritaria-Imperia on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:Regarding the English Rule: huh! You learn something new every day. In the issue, an explanatory remark about how that's a common law might help. But maybe that's just me.
I think it should be fine - it would be difficult to fit in such a remark without the lawyer making a counterpoint to his own argument. If he says "the current law is commonly used worldwide" and then goes on to explain why it's bad, then he's defeating his own argument.

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:And isn't the problem that Mr. David's lawyers are bad? It sounds like he doesn't need the state to pay his fees. Unless he wants the state to buy him a big expensive lawyer — but don't crazy options go at the end? I mean, that's not viable in any way, and it's certainly not being presented as the wacky option.

The point is that David's lawyers aren't as good as the mega fancy lawyers that Idney can hire, so he wants the state to pay for him to get mega fancy lawyers. Traditionally, crazy options go at the end, but tradition is not law, and the issue as a whole flows much better having David -> Goliath -> Slingshot -> TV Exec.

There are a couple tweaks I'll make out of this though - namely, Option 3 now has a little bit of a joke about David complaining his lawyers are bad in front of his actual lawyer.

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:This isn't very clear. Legally, what defines "little guy"?
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people
I think it's clear enough that David wants the state to pay his legal fees, and it's reasonable that someone who is not a lawyer or official speaks somewhat conversationally - it doesn't matter that "little guy" doesn't have a legal definition, the meaning of his statement should be clear.
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:If he says "the current law is commonly used worldwide" and then goes on to explain why it's bad, then he's defeating his own argument.
Fair enough.
SherpDaWerp wrote:The point is that David's lawyers aren't as good as the mega fancy lawyers that Idney can hire, so he wants the state to pay for him to get mega fancy lawyers. Traditionally, crazy options go at the end, but tradition is not law, and the issue as a whole flows much better having David -> Goliath -> Slingshot -> TV Exec.
I get that flow is important, but the option did not come across as crazy to me. I think it needs something in there to make its craziness clear to players so it isn't just confusing.
SherpDaWerp wrote:I think it's clear enough that David wants the state to pay his legal fees, and it's reasonable that someone who is not a lawyer or official speaks somewhat conversationally - it doesn't matter that "little guy" doesn't have a legal definition, the meaning of his statement is clear.
I take back what I said. You have a good point, and also this is a crazy option, which I didn't realise. There are some different rules for those… :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:17 pm

Hey Sherp, you seem to be on the ball with this one, I think I'll leave you most autonomy

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Hey Sherp, you seem to be on the ball with this one, I think I'll leave you most autonomy

Thanks to you for coming up with a good idea in the first place...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:22 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Hey Sherp, you seem to be on the ball with this one, I think I'll leave you most autonomy

Thanks to you for coming up with a good idea in the first place...

:)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:15 am

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:

IRL: There's probably more countries which have this law than countries that don't. Therefore, it's probably safe to assume that @@NAME@@ does

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:05 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:Monarchy of the Lions

Any chance you could come up with a better name than this? It's so... Aussie. :) :) I don't know, the Wombat Prince or something. :)

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Baggieland wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Monarchy of the Lions

Any chance you could come up with a better name than this? It's so... Aussie. :) :) I don't know, the Wombat Prince or something. :)

Alright, some changes have been made. Do you think the new issue title is still clear enough in the idiom it references (The Lion's Share), or should I try and figure out a new one?

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:23 am

The title's fine. :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:04 am

The first line from option 2 is a quote from the Simpson's character Mr. Burns "This is America, justice should favour the rich", as such, I was thinking, should we make the guy's surname be "Burns"?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Baggieland wrote:The title's fine. :)
Sweet.

Australian rePublic wrote:The first line from option 2 is a quote from the Simpson's character Mr. Burns "This is America, justice should favour the rich", as such, I was thinking, should we make the guy's surname be "Burns"?
Possibly, but I don't want to mess with the David/Goliath/Slingshot reference too much - cramming two references into one name would make it more difficult to get either reference.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Sweet.

Australian rePublic wrote:The first line from option 2 is a quote from the Simpson's character Mr. Burns "This is America, justice should favour the rich", as such, I was thinking, should we make the guy's surname be "Burns"?
Possibly, but I don't want to mess with the David/Goliath/Slingshot reference too much - cramming two references into one name would make it more difficult to get either reference.

If the title's fine, why did you change it?

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:56 am

Australian rePublic wrote:If the title's fine, why did you change it?
I think Baggie means the new title, given that I asked about it when I put it up - I didn't want to confuse the idiom by changing the animal.

SherpDaWerp wrote:Do you think the new issue title is still clear enough in the idiom it references, or should I try and figure out a new one?
SherpDaWerp wrote:Sweet.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:If the title's fine, why did you change it?
I think Baggie means the new title, given that I asked about it when I put it up - I didn't want to confuse the idiom by changing the animal.

SherpDaWerp wrote:Do you think the new issue title is still clear enough in the idiom it references, or should I try and figure out a new one?
SherpDaWerp wrote:Sweet.

I thought he was refering to the original title. It won't work with any other animal

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?