NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Isolation of Toxic Mine Tailings

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Isolation of Toxic Mine Tailings

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:47 am

OOC: Hey! This is my first draft submission to the General Assembly, so apologies if I make any beginner's mistakes!

IC:

South Reinkalistan | Commissariat of the Exterior | Directorate of World Assembly Affairs

"The People's Federation has observed that there is a need to enact legislation on the treatment of toxic mine tailings for the betterment of the natural environment. After much debate in the People's Congress, it was determined that the following draft would be submitted for discussion in the General Assembly. For any queries and criticisms, Ambassador Lakersk Turnov is instructed to represent South Reinkalistan in the World Assembly. Please take them up with him."

Isolation of Toxic Mine Tailings
Category: Environmental | Industry Affected: Mining | Proposed by: South Reinkalistan

The World Assembly,

Noting that certain mine tailings undergo processes that can render them toxic or otherwise harmful;

Recognising that this warrants a necessity to isolate these tailings sufficiently from the natural environment;

Asserting that all threats to the natural environment must therefore be countered to ensure global prosperity;

Understanding that toxic mine tailings must therefore be isolated to prevent their detriment to such factors;

Hereby,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution:

1. "Mine Tailings" (herein "Tailings") as "the waste product remaining following the separation of the valuable fraction of an ore from its uneconomic fraction";

2. "Isolated" as "removed or otherwise separated from any location in which it possesses a proven capacity to act in detriment to the natural environment";

3. Any "harmful" substance as "possessing a proven capacity to act in significant detriment to the natural environment";
  2. Mandates that all harmful tailings must be sufficiently isolated;

3. Establishes the Commission for Mine Tailing Isolation (herein "CMTI") for the purposes of properly and thoroughly inspecting the disposal of tailings in national territories;

4. Instructs the CMTI to aid and assist nationalised mining institutions and private contractors as an advisory body for the safe and secure isolation of dangerous or toxic tailings;

1. Mining institutions and private contractors are charged with heeding the advice of the CMTI wherever possible;
  5. Requires all national governments to undertake inspection of private mining contractors to ensure that they are compliant with this resolution; and

6. Further requires national governments to ensure that these regulations are followed to the best of their abilities.
Last edited by South Reinkalistan on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
" We will not bow to your dictation. We are free. We bled to be free.
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:57 am

Please tag your draft threads as [DRAFT]s. Why is the CMTI unable to support privately-owned mining institutions in isolating mine tailings?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:58 am

Tinhampton wrote:Please tag your draft threads as [DRAFT]s. Why is the CMTI unable to support privately-owned mining institutions in isolating mine tailings?

Hmm, that's a good point. Will add!
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 am

'The proposal starts with definitions, but fails to define what exactly constitutes dangerous tailings. One would suppose that every piece of mine tailings might be dangerous in some way, and be it by fallin onto someone's head.'
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:11 am

The New Nordic Union wrote:'The proposal starts with definitions, but fails to define what exactly constitutes dangerous tailings. One would suppose that every piece of mine tailings might be dangerous in some way, and be it by fallin onto someone's head.'

"Do correct me if I am wrong, sir, but I find that most - if not all - tailings could be considered dangerous or toxic to the environment; that was merely added to the draft as a descriptor or perhaps specification. If it is unsuitable, please do say."
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:41 am

I'll note on formatting: semicolons, penultimate 'and's need adding. Why, however, is this an international issue?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I'll note on formatting: semicolons, penultimate 'and's need adding. Why, however, is this an international issue?

"I'll add the suggested formatting changes. I would say, though, that this is most definitely an international issue. The environment in nations - worldwide - suffers as a result of tailings, and as such international legislation should be drafted to ensure that the damage to the environment is minimised."
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 am

Warrant?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:53 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Warrant?

"Could you please elaborate, sir?"
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:23 am

Do you have a warrant for why

The environment in nations - worldwide - suffers as a result of tailings, and as such international legislation should be drafted to ensure that the damage to the environment is minimised.

is true?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:48 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Do you have a warrant for why

The environment in nations - worldwide - suffers as a result of tailings, and as such international legislation should be drafted to ensure that the damage to the environment is minimised.

is true?

Tailings are usually toxic because, as outlined in my preamble, the processing for the valuable fraction of an ore to be separated generally causes tailings to be toxic by their very nature. It can become so toxic that they warrant isolation from the natural environment. This legislation would mandate that all states isolate toxic tailings, as mine tailings are generally considered to be a major environmental issue.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 am

South Reinkalistan wrote:the processing for the valuable fraction of an ore to be separated generally causes tailings to be toxic by their very nature.

While you are somewhat correct, you need to explain that in the resolution. If you're crushing rock to make gravel, the 'tailings' are actually the product for sale. If you're mining for gold, the cyanide used to extract the tiny amount of gold is incredibly toxic. A one-size-fits-all solution like this one doesn't work.

Explain yourself, or abandon the proposal.

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:12 am

This is a good idea, I think.
Frisbeeteria wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote:the processing for the valuable fraction of an ore to be separated generally causes tailings to be toxic by their very nature.

While you are somewhat correct, you need to explain that in the resolution. If you're crushing rock to make gravel, the 'tailings' are actually the product for sale

In which case it isn't "a waste product remaining following the separation of the valuable fraction of an ore from its uneconomic fraction", gravel thus produced has an economic use for the producer. In other words, that doesn't appear to be covered by the proposal now.
Paulus Asteorra

The New Sicilian State
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sicilian State » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 am

"Suggestion, perhaps change the operative clause of the last two clauses to 'requires' rather than 'instructs'. It ensures that member states truly attempt to fulfill these requirements to the best of their ability."

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Warrant?

OOC: Some byproducts are strictly toxic, such as cyanide from gold, but as a general sort of thing, a UN report described instances in which small byproduct particles tend to suspend themselves in water. It could (possibly) contaminate the water supply. In RL, some companies use dams to hold these tailings, but it's not always... perfect.

EDIT: Just saw Fris's post, didn't mean to seem redundant.
Last edited by The New Sicilian State on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of: John Crawford
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
Office: the floor between the copier and the water fountain
Palermo Parliamentary Building
Ideological Bullshark # -26

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 am

The New Sicilian State wrote:"Suggestion, perhaps change the operative clause of the last two clauses to 'requires' rather than 'instructs'. It ensures that member states truly attempt to fulfill these requirements to the best of their ability."

Agreed.
Paulus Asteorra

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 am

Thank you all for the feedback! Draft updated to account for all (I think?) points made thus far.
Last edited by South Reinkalistan on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:31 am

South Reinkalistan wrote:Any "harmful" substance as "possessing a proven capacity to act in significant detriment to the natural environment";

Mandates that all tailings considered to be harmful must be sufficiently isolated;

OOC: Too tired to make proper comments right now, but the underlined bits are kinda disagreeing with one another. If something has to have a proven capacity to be significantly detrimental to the environment to be defined as harmful, it's not "considered" to be harmful: it's proven to be harmful.

Though that creates a great loophole for nations not wanting to comply with this: simply don't test any tailings and so they can't be proven to be harmful and thus this proposal doesn't come into play.

Just typoed "harmful" five different ways before getting it right. Clearly bedtime for me.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:52 am

“In the interest of not adding to the already-sizeable bureaucracy of the General Assembly, would it be possible to add to the duties of a previous committee, rather than creating a new one?” However, this is only a minor concern, and it might be that there isn’t any committee that fits, in which case there isn’t an issue.”

(OOC: There is a list of committees here.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:39 am

Araraukar wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote:Any "harmful" substance as "possessing a proven capacity to act in significant detriment to the natural environment";

Mandates that all tailings considered to be harmful must be sufficiently isolated;

OOC: Too tired to make proper comments right now, but the underlined bits are kinda disagreeing with one another. If something has to have a proven capacity to be significantly detrimental to the environment to be defined as harmful, it's not "considered" to be harmful: it's proven to be harmful.

Though that creates a great loophole for nations not wanting to comply with this: simply don't test any tailings and so they can't be proven to be harmful and thus this proposal doesn't come into play.

Just typoed "harmful" five different ways before getting it right. Clearly bedtime for me.

OOC: Fixed. I think that "proven" would go by international rather than national standards in this case, as per good faith interpretation. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Kenmoria wrote:“In the interest of not adding to the already-sizeable bureaucracy of the General Assembly, would it be possible to add to the duties of a previous committee, rather than creating a new one?” However, this is only a minor concern, and it might be that there isn’t any committee that fits, in which case there isn’t an issue.”

(OOC: There is a list of committees here.)

"I am not sure any of these committees would be particularly suited to the admittedly unique topic; do correct me if I'm wrong. However, my dispositions do not put me in a position to delve into these committees thoroughly as of this moment; I shall however have an in-depth look later."
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:03 pm

OOC: I don’t often post in the GA, but this draft caught my eye. While my main experience is in primary metals extraction I’ve visited enough mines over the last 40 years to know what tailings are.

They are, specifically, a slurry containing fine particles of gangue material left over after the final processing of an ore. The particles range in size from grains of sand down to a few micrometres.

So while there are other waste products produced during the mining of an ore body, they are not tailings. That term refers to a very specific type of waste.

Generally those tailings are not nice. For example 80% of the world’s copper is produced from copper sulphide orebodies. That copper sulphide is entrained with other sulphide minerals. These report to the tailings after the mineral has been processed and the copper rich material removed. Typically minerals such as iron pyrites and arsenopyrite are found in the tailings, hence the need to control and contain the waste.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly