NATION

PASSWORD

What age should people get their first cell phones?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What age?

7 or under
6%
8-9
4%
10-11
14%
12-13
33%
14-15
21%
16-17
14%
18-20
3%
21+ or never
5%

Total votes : 133

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:30 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I got my first (2003 vintage) phone when I was 6, about the same time I got my first computer which lived in my room. I got my first smartphone (is an n95 a smartphone) when I was 11. First iPhone when I was like 14, but that was more because of the learning curve of using a touchscreen.

6?!?!?!

Yes, 6. Wasn't much bad stuff you could do on it though, and I was tight as a ducks arse as a kid so hated the idea of using all my credit. That phone was safe in my hands, it was more likely to die from lack of use than anything. Even when I had a mobile I used the phone in the living room because somebody else pays for that.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Lana Xen Bland
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lana Xen Bland » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:33 am

I think it varies by situation. What will the Cell phone be used for? Just games, emergency only, or daily usage. I remember I got my first cell phone when I was 12 and the only reason Why I got it was because I was going to start staying at home by myself. I was only to use it for Emergencies only. It was a black and white version phone back when the game Snake was a thing, And the after 9 O'clock free minutes curfew was huge. LOL. Also depends on the responsibility of the kid I will not buy a phone for something that will get my kid in trouble or will break/lose. So to answer your question there is no true age it all varies.

Purple Rats
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Purple Rats » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:07 pm

I got my first phone when I was 14-15 something like that, and I was almost the last one in our class who got it. I walked alone to home, 4 km, quite often (when I did not want to wait for next bus). But times were different then, parents did not think about all the issues as much as people do now.

My niece, is 8, and she already has her phone.

I think if your kid starts school, and has to come home from school alone, then it's better to them to have a phone. At least if I would be parent, I would be really nervous if my kid is out somewhere without a phone.
Just before they get into teenager years, I would have some parent-control over their phone. Lock some apps and websites etc.

Arboria Ryon
Civilian

Founded: Mar 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

It Depends

Postby Arboria Ryon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm

My first cell phone was given to me by my parents when I was a freshman in high school. It was a very bad Samsung Galaxy something and I kind of hated it. My little brother also got his first cell phone when he entered high school so I appreciate my parents consistency. I don't think that kids necessarily need cell phones until they are going places by themselves. I understand that cell phones are used for entertainment purposes, but you can find a lot of other things to entertain yourself with other than a cell phone. I don't think that young kids (specifically middle-schoolers) need the pressures that come with having a cell phone, like those caused by interacting with social media. Ultimately though it is the parents' decision to recognize whether or not their child is mature enough to handle a cell phone.

Swindenland
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Swindenland » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 pm

Ideally you would want your child to use the computer ASAP and then teach the child just how much better computers are than mobile phones. That way your child can get his phone quite early but won't care about them.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Swindenland wrote:Ideally you would want your child to use the computer ASAP and then teach the child just how much better computers are than mobile phones. That way your child can get his phone quite early but won't care about them.

Tbh, this is kind of what happened with me. I'm pretty sure I got my phone and my computer for the same birthday (one might have been for Christmas, idk), but because phones in 2003 were a bit shit I spent ages on the computer and often didn't even know where my phone was. Even now, I'm way worse/slower even than other blind people using a phone as compared to a computer.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Mirial Magna
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirial Magna » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Ankenland wrote:(Image)

Sargon is every single anti-ancap stereotype personified.
Abril 8, 4020: The Republic has tracked General Grievous to Utapau! Perhaps this terrible clone war is finally coming to an end, even if we are on the losing side.

We do not use NS stats, but we do use the outcome of events.
❂Put this in your sig if you don't trust China on account of them being asshoe.❂
------------ Me and the boys sneaking into this signature.

Purple Rats
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Purple Rats » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Ankenland wrote:

Can I PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE ask, that you would use "spoiler" box for your images? It gets little bit annoying, if in every thread of this forum your huuuuuge images are taking so much space.

Ava Ire
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 29, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Ava Ire » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:41 pm

I got mine when I was 13. It was a birthday gift. All my other peers had a phone by then.
I'm a mysterious, sp00ky pink ghost that's haunting this website for some reason.
"Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne, he travels the fastest who travels alone." ~

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 pm

I got my first phone when I was 18. It was a flip phone. I still have a flip a phone.

I honestly don't think kids need a phone before they start working and or driving. 16ish.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 pm

When they can afford to pay for them.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Purple Rats
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Purple Rats » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Question to those, who think kids don't need phone, before teenager:

1. What is this kid suppose to do, when they wanna go somewhere after school? With a phone it's simple "Hey, I will go to ...."
2. What is the parent suppose to do, when there is time arriving when kid normally would arrive to home, but for some reason does not....
3. Kid is outside, parent is changing their plan, and want to take kid with them somewhere, how they are get their kid?

Also if someone is missing, who is friend with your kid, their parents could call you, so you can call your kid and ask maybe they are with them.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 am

Katganistan wrote:When they have a job sufficient to pay for the phone and the cellular plan.

It's most likely that the kids who are most likely not to work before college are the kids who most need a means of getting in contact with people. I'm thinking of disabled kids here.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 am

Purple Rats wrote:Question to those, who think kids don't need phone, before teenager:

1. What is this kid suppose to do, when they wanna go somewhere after school? With a phone it's simple "Hey, I will go to ...."
2. What is the parent suppose to do, when there is time arriving when kid normally would arrive to home, but for some reason does not....
3. Kid is outside, parent is changing their plan, and want to take kid with them somewhere, how they are get their kid?

Also if someone is missing, who is friend with your kid, their parents could call you, so you can call your kid and ask maybe they are with them.

1. Ask their parent, like anyone else. Maybe he could borrow someone else's phone.
2. Wait a few minutes, it's probably nothing. Eventually go looking.
3. Go walk over and talk to him, we don't walk enough nowadays anyway.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 am

You don't need one until you figure out you need one. Besides, its a bit of a pain to pay for phone service. You do probably need one however, if you're employed or want people to be able to contact you. Although with robocalls, this is less useful until that issue ever gets resolved. You do want a working phone for any job hunting.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 am

Depends, I was taking public busses by myself around late elementary/middle school age and I could've used one instead of always borrowing from strangers. Eventually I did but even through high school sometimes I had one sometimes I didn't.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:54 am

It would depend on the individual child (their needs, their maturity).

For most children, when they're going into high school (so 11/12, depending on the country) would be an appropriate time to give them an inexpensive, sturdy phone (one where it wouldn't matter too much if it got broken or lost) so they can stay in touch while out with or going to be late or ask permission to go to a friend's house after school.

Some children -- for example, children who have to travel long distances to school at a younger age or children with some medical conditions -- may require a (very) basic phone several years younger.

All-singing, all-dancing phones that can download the greatest hits, do your taxes and tell you the current temperature on the opposite side of the Moon... I think teenagers should save up their allowance money (and birthday/Christmas money) and buy them for themselves.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 am

The Free Joy State wrote:It would depend on the individual child (their needs, their maturity).

For most children, when they're going into high school (so 11/12, depending on the country) would be an appropriate time to give them an inexpensive, sturdy phone (one where it wouldn't matter too much if it got broken or lost) so they can stay in touch while out with or going to be late or ask permission to go to a friend's house after school.

Some children -- for example, children who have to travel long distances to school at a younger age or children with some medical conditions -- may require a (very) basic phone several years younger.

All-singing, all-dancing phones that can download the greatest hits, do your taxes and tell you the current temperature on the opposite side of the Moon... I think teenagers should save up their allowance money (and birthday/Christmas money) and buy them for themselves.

Kids go to high school at age 11 or 12 in your country? Usually that's not until 14/15 here.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 am

The Free Joy State wrote:It would depend on the individual child (their needs, their maturity).

er, high school at 11/12?
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:16 am

Swindenland wrote:Ideally you would want your child to use the computer ASAP and then teach the child just how much better computers are than mobile phones. That way your child can get his phone quite early but won't care about them.

I agree with this actually

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:17 am

Cekoviu wrote:

er, high school at 11/12?

I mean, that's when Americans start junior high school.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 am

Diopolis wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:er, high school at 11/12?

I mean, that's when Americans start junior high school.

In my area middle school is 7th and 8th grade, which I assume would mean you start when 12/13. But I'm not so sure someone needs a cell phone that early.
Last edited by Cisairse on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 am

Cisairse wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I mean, that's when Americans start junior high school.

In my area middle school is 7th and 8th grade, which I assume would mean you start when 12/13. But I'm not so sure someone needs a cell phone that early.

I don't think you need a cell phone that early either, but in some districts 6th-9th grade is called junior high school. That may be what he's referring to.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:46 am

Diopolis wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

I don't think you need a cell phone that early either, but in some districts 6th-9th grade is called junior high school. That may be what he's referring to.

No, there are just a lot of people on the forum who are not American. In the UK most areas have no middle school. We start high school at 11.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General