NATION

PASSWORD

Hungarian democracy in quarantine?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Narnian Council
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Hungarian democracy in quarantine?

Postby The Narnian Council » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:12 am

Did the PM of Hungary, Viktor Orban, just use COVID-19 to pull a Palpatine?

Looks like democracy there has gone into quarantine. Prominent voices in the EU are now calling for the country’s ejection from the Union (uncharted territory). Like an unhappy marriage, this issue has been building for years, it’s not a one-off event, and I believe Orban knew exactly the reaction it would provoke.

Guardian Article:
Hungary’s parliament has passed a new set of coronavirus measures that includes jail terms for spreading misinformation and gives no clear time limit to a state of emergency that allows the nationalist prime minister, Viktor Orbán, to rule by decree.
Parliament voted by 137 to 53 to pass the measures on Monday afternoon, with the two-thirds majority enjoyed by Orbán’s Fidesz party enough to push them through in spite of opposition from other parties, which had demanded a time limit or sunset clause on the legislation.
The bill introduces jail terms of up to five years for intentionally spreading misinformation that hinders the government response to the pandemic, leading to fears that it could be used to censor or self-censor criticism of the government response.

Source.
Last edited by The Narnian Council on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
"The Lion, he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King."
Lord Chancellor of The Council of Narnia.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 am

Any articles that don't have a paywall?

Also, you'll want to beef up your OP.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:14 am

The Narnian Council wrote:Did the PM of Hungary, Viktor Orban, just use COVID-19 to pull a Palpatine?

Looks like democracy there has gone into quarantine.

News article.

He will lay down those powers once the crisis has been abated.
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:16 am

Nakena wrote:
The Narnian Council wrote:Did the PM of Hungary, Viktor Orban, just use COVID-19 to pull a Palpatine?

Looks like democracy there has gone into quarantine.

News article.

There's no reason to think he won't -it's not like he's not a powerhungry populist and more importantly a politician.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 am

North German Realm wrote:
Nakena wrote:

There's no reason to think he won't -it's not like he's not a powerhungry populist and more importantly a politician.

I too, love democracy and the Republic.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:19 am

I was scared of Trump doing something like that here. Fortunately, the commander in chief doesn't actually know what he's doing and is spending more time starting Twitter wars than waging war on our freedom.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 am

Rojava Free State wrote:I was scared of Trump doing something like that here. Fortunately, the commander in chief doesn't actually know what he's doing and is spending more time starting Twitter wars than waging war on our freedom.

The only saving grace of the US right now is that where Trump isn't a genius, he's an undeniable moron.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:23 am

Can we please stop acting as if Hungary is the worst rights offender in the EU?

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:24 am

Bulgar Rouge wrote:Can we please stop acting as if Hungary is the worst rights offender in the EU?

Ignoring the actions Greece has taken this last few weeks, they pretty much are though.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 am

Bulgar Rouge wrote:Can we please stop acting as if Hungary is the worst rights offender in the EU?

Name your worst offender.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:27 am

North German Realm wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:I was scared of Trump doing something like that here. Fortunately, the commander in chief doesn't actually know what he's doing and is spending more time starting Twitter wars than waging war on our freedom.

The only saving grace of the US right now is that where Trump isn't a genius, he's an undeniable moron.

Indeed. A more intelligent authoritarian could probably be more problematic for our institutions.

As for Hungry, it will probably head for hybrid regime status.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:32 am

Nakena wrote:

To be fair, the UK has done some pretty messed up stuff, and yes I know they aren't in the EU anymore, but they were not long ago.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:34 am

In the interest of complete information ... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/worl ... power.html
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:38 am

So what other EU nations have handed their head of government an unlimited and indefinite ability to rule by decree?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:45 am

Nakena wrote:

North German Realm wrote:Ignoring the actions Greece has taken this last few weeks, they pretty much are though.

Vassenor wrote:So what other EU nations have handed their head of government an unlimited and indefinite ability to rule by decree?

Bulgaria is far worse than Hungary in terms of media freedom (111th vs 87th for Hungary) and recently implemented a similar law, however it's not at all limited to the current state of emergency. Authorities will be able to request surveillance and eavesdropping without a court order even after the state of emergency expires. In fact, a legislative change would have allowed arrest for pretty much everything as there is no legal definition of "false information", but the President vetoed the proposal. There is no rule by decree, but Parliament was suspended and a convened session does not really guarantee that a proposal will pass. It's an institution that already rigs legislation through changes in transitional and final provisions of proposals.

All this in a country where the attorney general openly says that he does not believe in the separation of powers.

Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Swindenland
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Swindenland » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:07 am

I suggest we kick all Eastern European countries out of the EU except for Slovenia and the Czech Republic ;)
Last edited by Swindenland on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kargintina the Third
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina the Third » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 am

Based
Representative Earl Tenson (R-MT-All)

Senate candidate Christina Mudale (R-AL)

Senator Nickolai Dernilski (D-OH)

Houston Mayor Harold Baines (D-TX)

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am

Hey, I'm from hungry Hungary.

Orban is your average post-soviet politician, all talk no action. I don't like him, a lot of people dont like him, but the opposition is so bad that he's pretty much the only choice here. Orban is definately not your democratic reformer, but he is no palpatine or trump. People like to demonize him in the EU and the states to divert attention from their own crooked business. Hungary is LESS authoritarian then most western countries. We dont imprison or extradite whistleblowers, no mass surveillance or war on drugs, no blocked websites, heck, software and movie piracy is rampant.

Sure, he's corrupt, his party is getting very rich from his 3rd term, but he's not a neo-liberal sellout, he's not using the pandemic to give trillions in handouts to billionares, and also he doesn't really have any kind of insurance of winning the next election. Voters can swing really fast in this country. If he fucks up the crisis, he can look for a new job, so the government here is taking this seriously, although so far it doesn't seem like they've been effective at combatting the virus in its early stage.

Now, about the bill, its not at all significant given that he could pretty much pass anything he wanted anyway:

Its not so much rule by decree as him invoking the defense productiona act. Its not like Orban has killer drones assasinating people he doesn't like. That is reserved for "democratic countries".

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am

Swindenland wrote:I suggest we kick all Eastern European countries out of the EU except for Slovenia and the Czech Republic ;)

The EU won't exactly prosper with the morally (and soon fiscally) bankrupt Western ones either.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 am

Farnhamia wrote:In the interest of complete information ... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/worl ... power.html

love to see it
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:58 am

Good for Orban. I was wondering when he would take the next step.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:00 pm

It takes a special kind of idiot to engage in a political struggle in times of life and death. And sadly that is at show here. The EU has shown a consistent pattern of using any and all excuses they can find to attack those among their ranks that they perceive as the enemy. And with their defiance of EU decisions such as those relating to the migrant crisis Hungary is right near the top of that list.

To anyone living in Europe and looking at the news this sort of thing is absolutely nothing new.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Diopolis wrote:Good for Orban. I was wondering when he would take the next step.

What would be the last?

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Nakena wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Good for Orban. I was wondering when he would take the next step.

What would be the last?

Genocide & world domination
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 pm

Harkback Union wrote:Hey, I'm from hungry Hungary.

Orban is your average post-soviet politician, all talk no action. I don't like him, a lot of people dont like him, but the opposition is so bad that he's pretty much the only choice here. Orban is definately not your democratic reformer, but he is no palpatine or trump. People like to demonize him in the EU and the states to divert attention from their own crooked business. Hungary is LESS authoritarian then most western countries. We dont imprison or extradite whistleblowers, no mass surveillance or war on drugs, no blocked websites, heck, software and movie piracy is rampant.

Sure, he's corrupt, his party is getting very rich from his 3rd term, but he's not a neo-liberal sellout, he's not using the pandemic to give trillions in handouts to billionares, and also he doesn't really have any kind of insurance of winning the next election. Voters can swing really fast in this country. If he fucks up the crisis, he can look for a new job, so the government here is taking this seriously, although so far it doesn't seem like they've been effective at combatting the virus in its early stage.

Now, about the bill, its not at all significant given that he could pretty much pass anything he wanted anyway:

(Image)

Its not so much rule by decree as him invoking the defense productiona act. Its not like Orban has killer drones assasinating people he doesn't like. That is reserved for "democratic countries".

So it's not authoritarian to give yourself an unlimited and indefinite power to bypass the legislature. Also loving the repeated invocations of "and you are lynching negroes" in this post.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General