NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] - Forage and Forget

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED] - Forage and Forget

Postby Candensia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 pm

Another draft I've held onto for far too long.

First Draft
[DRAFT] - Forage and Forget

[The Issue] - The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Botanical Society has reported a sharp decline in wild herb populations due to over-collection, resulting in a blossoming debate over foraging rules.

[Option 1] - "Help our herbs!" exclaims caffeinated botanist Rose Marie. "I lose sleep over how our plants are nonchalantly uprooted to be gluttonously eaten, greedily sold, or even used by hikers as improvised toilet paper! @@NAME@@ cannot afford losing a native species to extinction, just because it looks appealing to wipe with! The collection of wild flora must be thoroughly regulated. Foragers should abide by collection limits and harvesting bans for vulnerable species to safeguard botanical research and the national interest."

[effect] - citizens who carelessly wipe receive crippling fines

[Option 2] - "Will my daughter need a flower picking permit?" snaps impassioned radio personality Kud Zoos. "And what's next, a lawnmower ban? What a joke! Plenty depend on wild herbs for food security or to supplement their income, and extensive regulation would leave them eating dirt. Even so, that doesn't mean we should completely slash and burn our responsibility to nature. Allow foragers to collect as much as they want, for a small environmental conservation fee."

[effect] - the government protects nature by holding all-you-can-uproot extravaganzas

[Option 3] - "Over-regulation is bad for the economy, but so is extinction," reports Deputy Commerce Minister Allow Vera. "Especially if, say, the exterminated herb has medicinal properties- @@NAME@@ would lose out on any health benefits, and the ability to profit off of it! But honestly, not all weeds are worth protecting, so how about this? Mandate the preservation of economically important and medicinal plants in national botanical gardens and herbaria. That way, even if foragers go wild, the nation still flowers."

[effect] - botanical gardens are shrines to herbal medicine

Second Draft

[DRAFT] - Forage and Forget

[The Issue] - The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Botanical Society has reported a sharp decline in wild herb populations due to over-collection, resulting in a blossoming debate over foraging rules.

[Option 1] - "Help our herbs!" exclaims caffeinated botanist Rose Marie. "I lose sleep over how our plants are nonchalantly uprooted to be gluttonously eaten, greedily sold, or even used by hikers as improvised toilet paper! @@NAME@@ cannot afford to lose a native species to extinction, just because it looks appealing to wipe with! The collection of wild flora must be thoroughly regulated. Foragers should abide by collection limits and harvesting bans for vulnerable species to safeguard botanical research and the national interest."

[effect] - citizens who carelessly wipe receive crippling fines

[Option 2] - "Will my daughter need a flower picking permit?" snaps impassioned radio personality Kud Zoos. "And what's next, a lawnmower ban? What a joke! Plenty depend on wild herbs for food security or to supplement their income, and extensive regulation would leave them eating dirt. Even so, that doesn't mean we should completely slash and burn our responsibility to nature. Allow foragers to collect as much as they want, for a small environmental conservation fee."

[effect] - the government protects nature by holding all-you-can-uproot extravaganzas

[Option 3] - "Over-regulation is bad for the economy, but so is extinction," reports Deputy Commerce Minister Allow Vera. "Especially if, say, the exterminated herb has medicinal properties- @@NAME@@ would lose out on any health benefits, and the ability to profit off of it! But honestly, not all weeds are worth protecting, so how about this? Let’s identify economically important and medicinal plants then preserve them in national botanical gardens and herbaria. That way, even if foragers go wild, the nation still flowers."

Current Draft

[DRAFT] - Forage and Forget SUBMITTED 4/7/2020

[Option 1] - "Help our herbs!" exclaims caffeinated botanist Rose Marie. "I lose sleep over how our plants are nonchalantly uprooted to be gluttonously eaten, greedily sold, or even used by hikers as improvised toilet paper! @@NAME@@ cannot afford to lose a native species to extinction, just because it looks appealing to wipe with! The collection of wild flora must be thoroughly regulated. Foragers should abide by collection limits and harvesting bans for vulnerable species to safeguard botanical research and the national interest."

[effect] - pulling weeds is seen as a threat to national security

[effect] - foragers descend on national cemeteries for 'all-you-can-dig-up' extravaganzas

[Option 3] - "Over-regulation is bad for the economy, but so is extinction," reports Deputy Commerce Minister Allow Vera. "Especially if, say, the exterminated herb has medicinal properties- @@NAME@@ would lose out on any health benefits, and the ability to profit off of it! But honestly, not all weeds are worth protecting, so how about this? Let’s identify economically important and medicinal plants then preserve them in national botanical gardens and herbaria. That way, even if foragers go wild, the nation still flowers."

[effect] - money grows on trees
Last edited by Candensia on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 12 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Option 2- so what happens to people who need improve toilet paper?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm

So, uh... I guess this is an actual issue? We don't have a lot of people picking herbs here in the city, but I could see it possibly being a problem in rural areas, especially in poorer countries where people are more reliant on the wild for food.

Candensia wrote:[effect] - the government protects nature by holding all-you-can-uproot-extravaganzas
Here, have a rare case of my suggesting you remove a hyphen :)

Keep the first three, but drop the last one.

Candensia wrote:[Option 3] - "Over-regulation is bad for the economy, but so is extinction," reports Deputy Commerce Minister Allow Vera. "Especially if, say, the exterminated herb has medicinal properties- @@NAME@@ would lose out on any health benefits, and the ability to profit off of it! But honestly, not all weeds are worth protecting, so how about this? Mandate the preservation of economically important and medicinal plants in national botanical gardens and herbaria. That way, even if foragers go wild, the nation still flowers."

How do you decide which plants count as medicinal? What if one has possible medicinal properties but hasn't been thoroughly tested yet? What if one is popularly claimed to have medicinal qualities by clueless quacks?

If I were a botanist trying to save as many plants as I can I'd argue that having nutritional value counts as a "medicinal property". Starving is pretty bad for your health.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:37 am

Google suggests to me its happened before:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/152600/arti ... reek-herbs

Regardless, it has a ring of truth to it, and sounds like something that could happen, and thats good enough for me.

The effect lines are a little meh, is my only concern.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Trotterdam wrote:-snip-

I can change the option slightly in order to make "medicinal plants" less nebulous. Or at least make it seem that way...

[Option 3] - "Over-regulation is bad for the economy, but so is extinction," reports Deputy Commerce Minister Allow Vera. "Especially if, say, the exterminated herb has medicinal properties- @@NAME@@ would lose out on any health benefits, and the ability to profit off of it! But honestly, not all weeds are worth protecting, so how about this? Let's identify economically important and medicinal plants then preserve them in national botanical gardens and herbaria. That way, even if foragers go wild, the nation still flowers."

The way I see it, if medicinal plants are "identified" before they are preserved, then that at least implies relevant testing is done to confirm medicinal and/or economic benefit.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Google suggests to me its happened before:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/152600/arti ... reek-herbs

Regardless, it has a ring of truth to it, and sounds like something that could happen, and thats good enough for me.

The effect lines are a little meh, is my only concern.

I can rethink the effects.

EDIT: Draft version updated, option 3 tweaked as displayed above.
Last edited by Candensia on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 pm

This is very good and absolutely worthy of attention.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:25 pm

Chan Island wrote:This is very good and absolutely worthy of attention.

Thanks!

Floating effects for options 1 and 2, respectively.

[effect 1] - jungle-gyms are a growing problem in public parks

[effect 2] - foragers descend on national cemeteries for 'all-you-can-dig-up' extravaganzas
Last edited by Candensia on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:51 am, edited 7 times in total.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:08 pm

I’ve updated the draft version. All effects have been updated.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Anything left to sort out here?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?