NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread mark II: Official Apocalyptic Edition

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 am

Albrenia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
I don't understand why they can't cut cheques the moment the President signs the bill. And not just for individuals: businesses needing to change their business model from storefront to delivery, or retooling to let their workers work from home, don't need the money in May (many of them will be gone by then). They need the money now.

Agreed. I wonder if the hold up is just stupid decisions or if they're so understaffed that there's such a huge delay.

I'm pretty sure we'll find out. If true, this is scandalous.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:12 am

Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:12 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/supermarket-bins-dollar35000-in-food-after-customer-coughs-on-it/ar-BB11IAyx?ocid=spartanntp

That's some absolute shitlordery right there. Thanks for sharing it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 am

Albrenia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/supermarket-bins-dollar35000-in-food-after-customer-coughs-on-it/ar-BB11IAyx?ocid=spartanntp

That's some absolute shitlordery right there. Thanks for sharing it.

It's been happening here too. A woman was screaming like a madwoman when she was arrested after sneezing on bananas in a Woolworths
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:17 am

dammit!It's horrible.Maybe the supermarket should take people's temperature before they enter.I don't want every shopping to be the last in my life
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 am

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavi ... spartanntp

So many people violating self-isolation orders

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Albrenia wrote:That's some absolute shitlordery right there. Thanks for sharing it.

It's been happening here too. A woman was screaming like a madwoman when she was arrested after sneezing on bananas in a Woolworths

Least you still have Woolworths. We don't.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:

dammit!It's horrible.Maybe the supermarket should take people's temperature before they enter.I don't want every shopping to be the last in my life

glad one thing I don't need to do is buy food in the next few months. :/
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:43 am

What happens to the people in Ohio, USA, who have to deal with floods as well as this virus. I NEED TO KNOW, what happens to them?

What happens to the people who need to deal drought as well as this virus. I NEED TO KNOW, what happens to them?

I need info

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What happens to the people in Ohio, USA, who have to deal with floods as well as this virus. I NEED TO KNOW, what happens to them?

What happens to the people who need to deal drought as well as this virus. I NEED TO KNOW, what happens to them?

I need info

Don't shout.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What happens to the people in Ohio, USA, who have to deal with floods as well as this virus. I NEED TO KNOW, what happens to them?

I need info

I imagine flooding or other emergencies would still require evacuation or sheltering, thus breaking quarantine but not illegally. We're not robots so there's always exceptions when the circumstances dictate it.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 am

Cisairse wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
You caught the martial arts malady.

cease

Oh do get over it
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kyapo
Envoy

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyapo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 am

Yay first day of virus iso begins. Both having a good cough. Marmite now tastes sweet :blink:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 am

Albrenia wrote:

I need info

I imagine flooding or other emergencies would still require evacuation or sheltering, thus breaking quarantine but not illegally. We're not robots so there's always exceptions when the circumstances dictate it.

Which will make the virus worse, if everyone is cramped into the same evacuation shelter. Then what?

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 am

Albrenia wrote:

Which will make the virus worse, if everyone is cramped into the same evacuation shelter. Then what?

We're forced to deal with a possible outbreak source, which is bad. Still better than said people dying in a flood, but most certainly not ideal.

It's one of those unfortunate cases with no 'good' options, but possible harm is better than almost certain death.
Last edited by Albrenia on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 am

Albrenia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Which will make the virus worse, if everyone is cramped into the same evacuation shelter. Then what?

We're forced to deal with a possible outbreak source, which is bad. Still better than said people dying in a flood, but most certainly not ideal.

It's one of those unfortunate cases with no 'good' options, but possible harm is better than almost certain death.

Right. Cheers. What a shitty situation

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:18 am

The rumor I read is that you won't necessarily get sick if the virus is on your skin/clothing. The main mechanism of it infecting you is if you breathe it in or rub your eyes, nose, or mouth. Doesn't hurt to wash your food or any surfaces that're suspect.

I think that perhaps its possible for everyone to go back to work as normal, but we should all wear suitable masks temporarily, and to wash our hands regularly and not do the casual behaviors such as rubbing your eyes to relieve soreness. The people who're detected as sick, can be quarantined.

It shouldn't be so difficult to manufacture masks and we have a shortage because we're dumb or cheap enough as to outsource all of that to China, and the main reason people in the western nations don't wear masks or recommend it, is primarily just cultural. China, South Korea, and etc. were willing to wear masks during the original SARS and this was to great success. It seems to have worked in Taiwan and a few other places.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 am

Saiwania wrote:The rumor I read is that you won't necessarily get sick if the virus is on your skin/clothing. The main mechanism of it infecting you is if you breathe it in or rub your eyes, nose, or mouth. Doesn't hurt to wash your food or any surfaces that're suspect.

I think that perhaps its possible for everyone to go back to work as normal, but we should all wear suitable masks temporarily, and to wash our hands regularly and not do the casual behaviors such as rubbing your eyes to relieve soreness. The people who're detected as sick, can be quarantined.

It shouldn't be so difficult to manufacture masks and we have a shortage because we're dumb or cheap enough as to outsource all of that to China, and the main reason people in the western nations don't wear masks or recommend it, is primarily just cultural. China, South Korea, and etc. were willing to wear masks during the original SARS and this was to great success. It seems to have worked in Taiwan and a few other places.

I actually Taiwan and South Korea's approach. It baffles me why we're not adopting similar approaches

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:24 am

Saiwania wrote:The rumor I read is that you won't necessarily get sick if the virus is on your skin/clothing. The main mechanism of it infecting you is if you breathe it in or rub your eyes, nose, or mouth. Doesn't hurt to wash your food or any surfaces that're suspect.

I actually Taiwan and South Korea's approach. It baffles me why we're not adopting similar approaches

For the US, acknowledging Taiwan’s help here would have meant showing some spine and admitting China did wrong. As much as Trump goes on TV and talks about how much he dislikes China, he never turned to Taiwan when their warnings against the virus came in DECEMBER, as far as I know.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:25 am

Luminesa wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I actually Taiwan and South Korea's approach. It baffles me why we're not adopting similar approaches

For the US, acknowledging Taiwan’s help here would have meant showing some spine and admitting China did wrong. As much as Trump goes on TV and talks about how much he dislikes China, he never turned to Taiwan when their warnings against the virus came in DECEMBER, as far as I know.

Live and learn, I guess. Perhaps he underestimated the threat and didn't think much of it till it was too late

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:37 am

Pretty average for anyone from East Asia to wear masks to safeguard against pollution and other particles going around in the air. I heard in South Korea there's a time where winds from the East blow over sand particles from the deserts of Mongolia. Then China has major amounts of pollution, etc.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 am

Luminesa wrote:For the US, acknowledging Taiwan’s help here would have meant showing some spine and admitting China did wrong. As much as Trump goes on TV and talks about how much he dislikes China, he never turned to Taiwan when their warnings against the virus came in DECEMBER, as far as I know.

Live and learn, I guess. Perhaps he underestimated the threat and didn't think much of it till it was too late

I don't like how easy you're going on Trump. The man has an enormous staff of experts to advise him. When common citizens like you or I, with no expert advisors at all, knew this thing was a big deal when it was still just in China, the US President cannot be excused for "underestimating the threat".

I think the way he burns through appointed staff is probably nothing to the way he treats civil servants. He hates to be told anything, like a smartass eight year old who is too cool for school.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:08 am

Saiwania wrote:I think that perhaps its possible for everyone to go back to work as normal, but we should all wear suitable masks temporarily, and to wash our hands regularly and not do the casual behaviors such as rubbing your eyes to relieve soreness. The people who're detected as sick, can be quarantined.

There is no evidence that masks are effective at reducing the spread of Coronavirus amongst the general populace, as other measures such as social distancing have been implemented alongside mask usage in the vast majority of countries that are battling Coronavirus. Generally the advice from the likes of the CDC is that only individuals known to be infected should wear them.

Wave on, wave on

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I think that perhaps its possible for everyone to go back to work as normal, but we should all wear suitable masks temporarily, and to wash our hands regularly and not do the casual behaviors such as rubbing your eyes to relieve soreness. The people who're detected as sick, can be quarantined.

There is no evidence that masks are effective at reducing the spread of Coronavirus amongst the general populace, as other measures such as social distancing have been implemented alongside mask usage in the vast majority of countries that are battling Coronavirus. Generally the advice from the likes of the CDC is that only individuals known to be infected should wear them.

Or those who are first responders.

Though if you are wearing a military grade NBC mask you are definitely not getting anything. You’ll also have trouble breathing but hey
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General