NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Tim Westra 2020
Decorah, Iowa
April 18th, 2019

“Thank you! Thanks for being here! Wow! Thank you, everybody."

"For as long as America can remember, this great state has fed the nation. Hardworking people, industrious Americans, have worked to fuel our country with their agricultural produce. But our nation's economic system is not working for rural America. It's not working for farmers, it's not working for communities, it's not working for our planet. It is working for big agribusiness corporations like DowDupont and Monsanto. Honest folks from Iowa are being exploited by these corporations for the sole purpose of extracting profit from the Heartland.”

"Family farmers are being killed by the big corporations, the revenue of local farms is dropping. Farming is becoming more expensive – and Iowan rural workers are taking on more debt to cover the costs. Then, there's overproduction that makes the goods cheap and allows the big companies to rip you off."

"Our homegrown farm economy is dying. The system is rigged."

“The current president is bribing farmers with excessive subsidies to try and trick Iowans into thinking that somehow, his failed trade strategy is working. But you guys aren't stupid. You know what's up. Wolf is lying to you, he's causing your losses and giving you some temporary cash to keep your mind off of it. All while his big agribusiness lobbyists run off with the cash.”

“The president needs to have a better way. I will be a president that pushes for a farm economy that actually works in the longterm for you guys. And we can do this by building a new supply management model.”

“I would push to have the government guarantee farmers a price to match cost of production. How? Instead of endless subsidies that only cushion your costs temporarily, I'd develop a loan system for production costs. If the farmer can't repay this loan, the government would buy their products at the cost of production. If the private market offers a better price, the farmer would repay the loan. This creates a truly competitive market.”

“What happens when the government receives agricultural produce? We'd be able to provide better prices by holding the produce in reserve, essentially managing the supply and driving up prices for farmers. When the price exceeds a point, we can sell the produce, stabilizing prices once more. Rather than constantly subsidizing farmers, this guarantees them a competitive fair price.”

"In this way, we can sometimes pursue options like the Chinese tariffs without harming farmers. We wouldn't be giving useless subsidies, but rather we'd be revitalizing the farming economy."

"Here in Iowa, farmers are already embracing climate-positive agricultural techniques. And as President, I'll reward you for it. In order to get closer to decarbonization and a healthier environment for our kids, I will create a $10 billion fund to pay farmers for sustainable environmental practices. This makes sustainable farming an economically viable option for farmers, and will reward many of you who are already doing this."

"There is dignity in all work, especially in the work of our farmers who feed America. It's time we value our Iowan rural communities with the respect and the fair system they actually deserve, rather than take them for granted to peddle the interests of big agribusiness."

"It's not just Big Ag that is holding our workers back. For the past few decades, there has been a class war waged against the working families of this country by the billionaire class and the corporate elite. The fat cats in the government colluded with the bigshots of the one percent to destroy the lives of working people in Michigan, in Ohio, in New Jersey, and here in Iowa. They’ve been doing it all over America. While corporations close down plants here in our country to maximize their profits, they throw our workers out on the streets and leave behind ghost towns to die a painful death. Corporations don’t give a damn about you. If they could make a nickel more by killing you, they would. And I’m not even exaggerating. Criminal pharmaceutical executives have ruthlessly marketed and sold their opioid drugs at the expense of thousands of young American lives. It’s not just the manufacturing corporations and the drug companies. Fossil fuel companies, the military-industrial complex, Wall Street, the private prison complex — all of them have collectively conspired to trample on the economic rights of ordinary Americans in order to get away with unethical amounts of profit.”

“Well, we’ve got some bad news for them. We are building a grassroots movement to tackle the unlimited greed of Corporate America. That starts with unions. That starts with workers. That starts with the 99% standing up and saying: you can’t have it all. I’m proud to say that we are running a campaign powered by the people, not big corporations. We are not taking a dime from corporate PACS, or federal lobbyists. You cannot defeat a fundamentally corrupt system by taking their money.”

“Our campaigns message is not about endless platitudes. My record makes it clear that I’ve always shown up for what’s right. I’ve never flip-flopped on worker's issues or consumer rights. I’ve never been vague. My career in politics has only been about making the moral decision. Years before any neoliberal centrist claimed the idea for themselves, I wrote the American Reinvestment Act of 1993 as a Senate policy advisor, which would have doubled the Earned Income Tax Credit to boost our crumbling middle class. I didn’t care about falling out of line with the party. I fought for Americans workers by leading the charge in opposition to NAFTA, against the will of the New Democrats. As a Congressman, I founded the Blue Collar Caucus to give workers real representation in the House. Not only did I loudly advocate against the mass deregulation and dismantling of Glass-Steagall, I authored a bill in 2000 that did not pass, but paved the way for the groundbreaking [not Dodd Frank] Act almost a decade later.”

“This was not always the politically popular choice. I was perhaps the staunchest Congressman against the Iraq War. Not only did I vote against the initial invasion, I went beyond that by being one out of a handful of Congress members who opposed enhancing combat operations in Iraq after the invasion. I didn’t just stand against President Burke and the GOP, though. When I thought President Baharia was wrong, I pointed it out. I opposed the decimation of Libya, which was not convenient for me. When President Baharia tried to push for the TPP, I pushed back. Workers had to come first, not multinational corporations.”

"But let’s be clear: I supported President Baharia 100% on issues where he fought the good fight. I wrote the Affordable Care Act and introduced it in the House! How many people in this race can say they extended healthcare to 20 million people?"

"Those who paint me as a candidate singularly focused on economic action are not getting the facts straight. Yes, I believe the economic standing of all Americans is the single most important issue, along with the climate crisis. But I've been a leader on social issues as well. I have been for gay marriage even when this was not the popular stance. I voted against the Defense of Marriage Act and Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I think that societal stigma against any marginalized group has to be combated, regardless of how politically inconvenient it is."

"And the best part is, we know how to solve this. We're not just diagnosing the problem, we're tackling the symptoms. I've done the math, I've looked at the details. We're going to raise wages by providing every worker a living wage through an unprecedented expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit – a real middle class tax cut, not like the Wolf Tax Scam. I want healthcare for all in this country, and we can accomplish this by automatically enrolling every uninsured American and newborn under a public option, which would be made available to all Americans and would be free of charge to the poor. A Medicare for America public option is the best way forward. We're not just shouting about Medicare for All, we have an idea of how to get it done."

"We're gonna enforce a trade policy that puts workers first, not the multinational corporations. We will no longer be outsourcing American jobs and encouraging a global race to the bottom. Instead, we'll work with our trade partners to assess all economic impact of any trade deal, including job loss, and we will make unions a major negotiation party of the trade agreement process. And, if any nation refuses to comply with our labor and environmental standards, there will be economic consequences."

"We want to make unemployment a thing of the past, so even if big plants pack up and abandon our workers, they won't be out of a good job. We will create a Federal Jobs Guarantee to put every single American who wants a good-paying job to work in much needed areas like green manufacturing, infrastructure development, and scientific research."

"And I'm concerned for our young people, who are being crushed under student debt. As it stands, we will cancel 95% of student debt in this country, providing relief to those who need it most. We'll make college tuition-free for all, and reform the federal loan process to lower interest rates and simplify payment procedure. No young person's future should be stolen just because education is a commodity in the wealthiest country in the history of the world."

"I'll make fossil fuel companies pay for the damage they're doing to our home. We have to impose a price on carbon to lower emissions and make the emitters reckon with their actions. And I'll put the energy execs who lied about the crisis in jail for the harm their disinformation has done. I'll vastly expand tax credits to clean energy companies. This requires a full scale mobilization, and the United States is not the type to sit on the sidelines while others do the heavy lifting. We have to pitch in, for the future of our children and our world. We're the first campaign to even have a climate plan! We listen to the science! We understand the urgency!"

"Let's be clear though: the guys in the coal mines are not my enemy. The guys on the oil rigs are not my enemy. They have to put food on the table for their family. But they are being betrayed by a dishonest industry that is not being upfront about how long their jobs will last. Coal is a dying industry. Oil rig jobs are incredibly unsafe and unstable. As president, money raised as a carbon dividend will be invested in transitioning workers from fossil fuel development to clean energy development. Workers in any industry deserve good-paying, safe, and socially beneficial jobs. I promise all fossil fuel workers: I won't abandon you."

"And I'm serious about the damage the Sackler Family and other opioid czars have done to our communities. I'll decriminalize ownership of small amounts of illegal opioids; the Pharma companies who lied about the addictive nature of certain opioids belong in jail, not those who are hooked. I'll create more safe injection sites, where addicts can seek help and be treated as patients rather problems that will solve themselves. I'll create an Opioid Combatting Task Force carrying naloxone to prevent overdose deaths. Our young folks are lying dead on the streets of Ohio and other economically downtrodden states, and we need to treat this with the sense of emergency and sensitivity that it deserves."

"We need to prepare our future generations from the automation blitz that we all know is coming. That means bolstering public education by doubling funding for Title 1 schools, and creating a refundable tax credit for teachers in low-income areas! We need smart policies to incentivize good teachers to apply to train kids in our low-income school districts. We can do that by actually raising their wages with a Teacher Tax Credit. I don't know about you, but I think our teachers are just as important, if not more important, than the bigshots on Wall Street!"

"Folks, I'm the only candidate in this race who has made fighting poverty the number one priority of our campaign. I have released the most comprehensive antipoverty plan in the primary. This would be the logical successor to the New Deal and the Great Society; not just a society that is great for some, but great for all. A Just Society. Our Antipoverty Agenda will expand the EITC, so not a single working person lives in poverty. It will eliminate real unemployment through a Federal Jobs Guarantee, so everybody has a shot at being employed in a good-paying job that suits them. The Agenda will save Social Security by lifting the the Social Security taxable maximum and ensuring that the program is solvent for another half-century. We will share corporate wealth with workers by mandating that the big companies like Amazon and Walmart share stock with workers. We will make pre-k and childcare universal! We will end homelessness by building 7 million new affordable housing units and creating a Renter's Tax Credit for those who are spending too much on rent."

"Wake up, Iowa. This is not a call for you to take a new direction from right to left. This is call for you to go from down to up. Up with the rights of workers. Up with wages. Up with fair trade. Up with creating millions of good paying jobs, rebuilding our bridges, ports and water systems. Up with creating millions of sustainable energy jobs to lower the cost of energy, lower carbon emissions and protect the environment."

"Up with health care for all. Up with education for all. Up with home ownership. Up with guaranteed retirement benefits. Up with peace. Up with prosperity. Up with our working class campaign to restore justice to the White House."

"We are all children of God. We all deserve to operate under America's promise. We all deserve to be treated with dignity. The poor. The hungry. The wretched. This is their country too!"

"These are values we all agree on, whether we call ourselves progressives, conservatives, independents, Democrats, or Republicans. These are values our mothers have taught us since before preschool. The value of honesty. The value of compassion. The value of sharing. So why does the Washington elite run away from these values when it comes time to use them?"

"It's because the system is rotten to its core. The corporate fat cats buy the souls of our elected officials, so that our vote no longer counts. Our democracy died the day the parties ran away from working people and got in bed with the corporate lobbyists. But this campaign will signal to the establishment: your time is up. We have no corporate donors, no Super PAC, no closed-door fundraisers. This is powered by the people."

"Friends, let us rise up! Let us rise up in solidarity and scream to the elitists who ignore us: we are worthy of your respect! We will put workers first! We will unite, and you will understand that your time is up."

"As your president, I promise you: no voice of the grassroots will go unheard. I'm going to the White House to fight for you everyday, not the greedy billionaire class who wants more and more at the expense of the rest of us. We need a new era of progressive governance, bringing our party back to its working class roots and away from the elitist influences that have infiltrated the Democratic Party. It's time to understand that there should be dignity in work; we are not a developing country, we are not a war zone, we are America, the wealthiest country in the history of the world. It's time to stand up unequivocally and tell the establishment: we are worthy, and we will put workers first. And I, Tim Westra, would be humbled if all of you joined our movement today."

"Only together, in class solidarity that crosses bounds like race, gender, and sexuality, can we defeat the powers that be and reclaim our country from the entrenched corporate elite. Thank you, may God bless our workers, may God bless our troops, and may God bless America!"
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm

Barry Anderson
@MissouriPeoplesSenator

Matthew 12:36 - I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Silva should keep this in mind.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Agarntrop wrote:Barry Anderson
@MissouriPeoplesSenator

Matthew 12:36 - I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Silva should keep this in mind.

Liked and retweeted by @JPJ4USA.
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Lavar Baller
Attaché

Founded: Mar 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lavar Baller » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

Just submitted the Protecting American Privacy Act, written with my friend @WestraNJ, and submitted the Protecting American Diplomats Act. Both bills are unprecedented steps in reforming the national security status quo.

Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

PAPA is a repeal and replace of Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act, which infamously grants the NSA with the authority to collect the personal phone records, search history, and online data of American citizens without a warrant. The bill mandates that the NSA obtain a warrant before such collection, adds in new oversight procedures to ensure that the warrant process is fair and not permissive, and enacts measures to ensure full transparency with the public about such data collection. It will end mass surveillance in our nation as we know it, and I'm proud to say this is a bipartisan effort.

Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

PADA is an aggressive response to the attack on our Israel embassy in January that resulted in the death of Ambassador Friedman. The bill authorizes additional funding for security at our foreign embassies, implements new standards for hiring of security personnel, and imposes new training procedures for diplomats in case of an emergency. This should also be bipartisan.
Last edited by Lavar Baller on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:13 pm

Lavar Baller wrote:
(Image)
Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

Just submitted the Protecting American Privacy Act, written with my friend @WestraNJ, and submitted the Protecting American Diplomats Act. Both bills are unprecedented steps in reforming the national security status quo.

(Image)
Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

PAPA is a repeal and replace of Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act, which infamously grants the NSA with the authority to collect the personal phone records, search history, and online data of American citizens without a warrant. The bill mandates that the NSA obtain a warrant before such collection, adds in new oversight procedures to ensure that the warrant process is fair and not permissive, and enacts measures to ensure full transparency with the public about such data collection. It will end mass surveillance in our nation as we know it, and I'm proud to say this is a bipartisan effort.

(Image)
Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

PADA is an aggressive response to the attack on our Israel embassy in January that resulted in the death of Ambassador Friedman. The bill authorizes additional funding for security at our foreign embassies, implements new standards for hiring of security personnel, and imposes new training procedures for diplomats in case of an emergency. This should also be bipartisan.

Liked and retweeted by @SimoneNY12.

Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

Senator Doyle's work on expanding and defending civil liberties is laudable and worthy of support from both sides of the aisle. As much as the intelligence services must be equipped with the necessary powers to keep Americans safe, those powers must also be kept accountable to the elected government of the people, by the people, for the people.

Rep. Carrie Simone
@SimoneNY12

Furthermore, I'm proud to see fellow Democrats taking leadership in improving embassy security following the horriic attack in Jerusalem. As a former U.S. Ambassador, I know I would be very grateful to know our members of Congress at home are keeping our safety and welfare in mind. Being a U.S. diplomat is sadly a dangerous endeavor, but the Democrats are fighting to look out for our Foreign Service officials.
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Lavar Baller wrote:
(Image)
Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

Liked and Retweeted by Erika Goldman and Bernard J. Porter
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:22 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Sanabel wrote:“I’d consider it. I don’t know yet. I want to endorse the best candidate. I’ll consider it. I don’t know yet. I need to see you on the trail- on the trail, a lot happens, ok? I need to see. Ok?”

"Yes, of course, Mr. President. Anyway, thank you for your support. We're withdrawing most of our troops in Syria this week, so I'll keep in touch."

Porter stood up, extending his hand for the President to shake.

“Ok. Before you run make sure to resign. I’ll make the Secretary of the Army the acting secretary. We can handle it. Ok.”
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Dentali wrote:
Sanabel wrote:“I think it is a valid concern that a guy like Westra could harm the Party down the ballot in November. As two politicians with good instincts who have won in Wolf states, you and I both know that choosing the right candidate matters.”

"I do indeed, if you were to ask me if you had a better chance in a general that Westra I would say yes. But people can always surprise you... all i'm saying is that you may see the field as weak, but that doesn't mean getting the nomination will be easy."

“I know getting the nomination won’t be easy- that’s why I am here. I need as many allies as I can get, James. We need to rebuild the Baharia coalition if we want to beat whomever the Republicans select as Wolf’s replacement.”

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Sanabel wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:"Yes, of course, Mr. President. Anyway, thank you for your support. We're withdrawing most of our troops in Syria this week, so I'll keep in touch."

Porter stood up, extending his hand for the President to shake.

“Ok. Before you run make sure to resign. I’ll make the Secretary of the Army the acting secretary. We can handle it. Ok.”

"Of course. I'll finish off Syria and then I'll resign. Thank you, Mr. President."
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:39 pm

To: Representative Anton Silva

Representative,

I would greatly appreciate if you came to my office at the earliest possible opportunity in order to discuss recent development. Failure to do so will result in your expulsion from the House Republican Caucus and subsequently any committees you currently serve on.

Yours most respectfully,

House Minority Leader Thomas Volker
Last edited by Greater Arab State on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Sanabel wrote:
Dentali wrote:

"I do indeed, if you were to ask me if you had a better chance in a general that Westra I would say yes. But people can always surprise you... all i'm saying is that you may see the field as weak, but that doesn't mean getting the nomination will be easy."

“I know getting the nomination won’t be easy- that’s why I am here. I need as many allies as I can get, James. We need to rebuild the Baharia coalition if we want to beat whomever the Republicans select as Wolf’s replacement.”

"Prove to me you can win over suburban voters, especially suburban women, and energize minorities... That's what won us the house in 18. I want someone who can win... that's my priority more than anything else and i'll sell my soul to get that win if need be. I'm considering you, Dayton, Little, maybe even Davenport as it stands... but If it looks like Westra is the clear frontrunner, i'll get behind them to keep the party together."

"So tell me this.... how are you going to win? Both in the primary and the general. What's the plan?"
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Lavar Baller wrote:
(Image)
Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

(Image)
Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

(Image)
Frank Doyle

@FrankDoyle

Liked and Retweeted by @KathleenNez

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Dentali wrote:
Sanabel wrote:“I know getting the nomination won’t be easy- that’s why I am here. I need as many allies as I can get, James. We need to rebuild the Baharia coalition if we want to beat whomever the Republicans select as Wolf’s replacement.”

"Prove to me you can win over suburban voters, especially suburban women, and energize minorities... That's what won us the house in 18. I want someone who can win... that's my priority more than anything else and i'll sell my soul to get that win if need be. I'm considering you, Dayton, Little, maybe even Davenport as it stands... but If it looks like Westra is the clear frontrunner, i'll get behind them to keep the party together."

"So tell me this.... how are you going to win? Both in the primary and the general. What's the plan?"

“I think my record proves that I can do that, James. I won in 2014, a Republican wave year, against an incumbent. I didn’t do that by winning just traditionally Democratic voters. I swung the suburbs, turned out African Americans and Hispanics who wouldn’t have voted otherwise, and I won the female vote. I know it is why we won the House in 2018- it’s why I won too, despite Wolf winning Florida in 2016. That’s the issue with Little and Davenport. They are from some of the bluest parts of the country, they don’t have experience building the coalitions needed to win the primary and the general. Dayton is a decent candidate- but even Virginia isn’t very purple anymore. She’s a good candidate though, like I said- she should definitely have a place in the next administration. Westra seems to attack our party even more than the Republicans. And his obscene view on a woman’s right to choose make him unacceptable, in my eyes.”

He paused for a moment and cleared his throat.

“James, the plan to win the primary is fairly straightforward. I will definitely be contesting Iowa and New Hampshire. Contrary to popular belief, they both can be fertile ground for a relative centrist like me, especially with the progressive vote divided. I intend to win one of the two. I also intend to undercut Westra and Murphy in Nevada with my healthcare plan for ‘Medicare for All Who Want It,’ and by turning out Hispanic first-time voters like I have in Florida through extensive bilingual campaigning and GOTV drives. Polling says that I have a real shot at winning South Carolina, which I intend to do with appeals to the African American and suburban white communities. A decent showing in the early states will lay the groundwork for me to do well on Super Tuesday- Texas, California, will be heavy targets. James, I have the story, the proven fundraising abilities, and the executive experience to win the primary and the general. I have assembled the Baharia coalition twice in Florida, and I can do it nationally.”

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Sanabel wrote:
Dentali wrote:

“I think my record proves that I can do that, James. I won in 2014, a Republican wave year, against an incumbent. I didn’t do that by winning just traditionally Democratic voters. I swung the suburbs, turned out African Americans and Hispanics who wouldn’t have voted otherwise, and I won the female vote. I know it is why we won the House in 2018- it’s why I won too, despite Wolf winning Florida in 2016. That’s the issue with Little and Davenport. They are from some of the bluest parts of the country, they don’t have experience building the coalitions needed to win the primary and the general. Dayton is a decent candidate- but even Virginia isn’t very purple anymore. She’s a good candidate though, like I said- she should definitely have a place in the next administration. Westra seems to attack our party even more than the Republicans. And his obscene view on a woman’s right to choose make him unacceptable, in my eyes.”

“James, the plan to win the primary is fairly straightforward. I will definitely be contesting Iowa and New Hampshire. Contrary to popular belief, they both can be fertile ground for a relative centrist like me, especially with the progressive vote divided. I intend to win one of the two. I also intend to undercut Westra and Murphy in Nevada with my healthcare plan for ‘Medicare for All Who Want It,’ and by turning out Hispanic first-time voters like I have in Florida through extensive bilingual campaigning and GOTV drives. Polling says that I have a real shot at winning South Carolina, which I intend to do with appeals to the African American and suburban white communities. A decent showing in the early states will lay the groundwork for me to do well on Super Tuesday- Texas, California, will be heavy targets. James, I have the story, the proven fundraising abilities, and the executive experience to win the primary and the general. I have assembled the Baharia coalition twice in Florida, and I can do it nationally.”

"I know Ben (Little) well... he's a good man and a friend. But I agree with you that he is from a very blue area and doesn't have experience winning moderates, on the other hand he is courting corporations so blatantly and openly it will turn off the progressive turnout. But as I said he is a personal friend, I won't discount endorsing him."

"Dayton I think should be at the top of your VP picks, or if she wins then you should be at the top of hers. You two would make a good team, maybe the strongest combo we can field. I don't want to see you guys destroying one another in the primary and making it impossible to work together."

"Davenport because she isn't nationally known, and can take a bit of an outsider track. Not in leadership, she can be a blank slate potentially to an extent."

"As for your plan I think its a solid one definitely has potential... if I see it working in practice I will be thankful. I do worry that Westra and Murphy are going to drastically out-campaign you, they have proven to be formidable and capable of covering a lot of distance. Not having to do corporate fundraisers seems to have saved them a ton of time to use to campaign."

"Also have you read Westra's plan? Its a public option not Medicare for All... his rhetoric is much more progressive than what he actually puts to paper... of course he also has a few odd policies like being anti-NATO and the whole abortion agency..."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Dentali wrote:
Sanabel wrote:“I think my record proves that I can do that, James. I won in 2014, a Republican wave year, against an incumbent. I didn’t do that by winning just traditionally Democratic voters. I swung the suburbs, turned out African Americans and Hispanics who wouldn’t have voted otherwise, and I won the female vote. I know it is why we won the House in 2018- it’s why I won too, despite Wolf winning Florida in 2016. That’s the issue with Little and Davenport. They are from some of the bluest parts of the country, they don’t have experience building the coalitions needed to win the primary and the general. Dayton is a decent candidate- but even Virginia isn’t very purple anymore. She’s a good candidate though, like I said- she should definitely have a place in the next administration. Westra seems to attack our party even more than the Republicans. And his obscene view on a woman’s right to choose make him unacceptable, in my eyes.”

"I know Ben (Little) well... he's a good man and a friend. But I agree with you that he is from a very blue area and doesn't have experience winning moderates, on the other hand he is courting corporations so blatantly and openly it will turn off the progressive turnout. But as I said he is a personal friend, I won't discount endorsing him."

"Dayton I think should be at the top of your VP picks, or if she wins then you should be at the top of hers. You two would make a good team, maybe the strongest combo we can field. I don't want to see you guys destroying one another in the primary and making it impossible to work together."

"Davenport because she isn't nationally known, and can take a bit of an outsider track. Not in leadership, she can be a blank slate potentially to an extent."

"As for your plan I think its a solid one definitely has potential... if I see it working in practice I will be thankful. I do worry that Westra and Murphy are going to drastically out-campaign you, they have proven to be formidable and capable of covering a lot of distance. Not having to do corporate fundraisers seems to have saved them a ton of time to use to campaign."

"Also have you read Westra's plan? Its a public option not Medicare for All... his rhetoric is much more progressive than what he actually puts to paper... of course he also has a few odd policies like being anti-NATO and the whole abortion agency..."

“I plan on going high in the primary and keeping off of Twitter unless it’s to make an announcement or say something positive- which is all I’ve been using it for anyway. I won’t burn bridges with Dayton or Davenport, or anyone else if I can help it. James, I’ll tell you why Westra and Murphy have so much time. They are Senators. I mean no offense to you when I say this, but serving in the senate is different from running a state. Fortunately, my legislative duties are winding down, and the hurricane season isn’t for awhile, so I should be able to hit the trail fairly heavily. I also plan on cutting ads and using traditional media. And yes, I have read much of Westra’s policy proposals. He tries to paint himself as progressive despite being fairly moderate, and I fear he will alienate everyone during the primary because of it.”

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Sanabel wrote:
Dentali wrote:

“I plan on going high in the primary and keeping off of Twitter unless it’s to make an announcement or say something positive- which is all I’ve been using it for anyway. I won’t burn bridges with Dayton or Davenport, or anyone else if I can help it. James, I’ll tell you why Westra and Murphy have so much time. They are Senators. I mean no offense to you when I say this, but serving in the senate is different from running a state. Fortunately, my legislative duties are winding down, and the hurricane season isn’t for awhile, so I should be able to hit the trail fairly heavily. I also plan on cutting ads and using traditional media. And yes, I have read much of Westra’s policy proposals. He tries to paint himself as progressive despite being fairly moderate, and I fear he will alienate everyone during the primary because of it.”

"oh and he believes modern monetary theory... Forgot that one. I've actually be compiling a file on all the problematic things the candidates on both sides have said. Regardless he has indeed been quite absent from the Senate, but that's not surprising nor am I going to hold it against him."

"Speaking of the Senate would you commit to putting a big focus on states and house districts to flip the senate and keep the house? Even if that means spending time and energy in states you don't think you can win in the general?"

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Puertollano wrote:
Sarenium wrote:
Dayton placed the saucer with teacup in front of him as she sat, "things are alright. My eldest daughter has reiterated her desire to move out for College, so I'm torn between getting a hot tub put into her room or having it converted into a smaller secondary den where I can put my husband's easel. As you'd know, I didn't ask you here to discuss our children, I consider myself well versed in most aspects of policymaking, one which continues to leave me unsure is Industrial Rights. Virginia's a Right-To-Work State, and I can name half the Democratic Caucus of Virginia as opposing any changes to that. So, I'm asking for your guidance on this issue if you will, how do we as a party navigate a post-Wolf-Administration field of policy surrounding Unions, Unionism and Industrial Rights when much of our party opposes any action at all?"

"I believe we have to be fervently pro-union, if there is a time where we've needed them the most, this would be the most dire hour. I think it's too politically calculating to worry about concerning anti-union elements of this party, because at the end of the day, that's our base of support, fundraising and the Wolf Administrations biggest weakness."

She frowned, "how would you amend Taft if more than half the party opposes any changes to Right-To-Work laws?"
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Dentali wrote:
Sanabel wrote:“I plan on going high in the primary and keeping off of Twitter unless it’s to make an announcement or say something positive- which is all I’ve been using it for anyway. I won’t burn bridges with Dayton or Davenport, or anyone else if I can help it. James, I’ll tell you why Westra and Murphy have so much time. They are Senators. I mean no offense to you when I say this, but serving in the senate is different from running a state. Fortunately, my legislative duties are winding down, and the hurricane season isn’t for awhile, so I should be able to hit the trail fairly heavily. I also plan on cutting ads and using traditional media. And yes, I have read much of Westra’s policy proposals. He tries to paint himself as progressive despite being fairly moderate, and I fear he will alienate everyone during the primary because of it.”

"oh and he believes modern monetary theory... Forgot that one. I've actually be compiling a file on all the problematic things the candidates on both sides have said. Regardless he has indeed been quite absent from the Senate, but that's not surprising nor am I going to hold it against him."

"Speaking of the Senate would you commit to putting a big focus on states and house districts to flip the senate and keep the house? Even if that means spending time and energy in states you don't think you can win in the general?"

“Of course I do. And I believe we can flip the Senate this year- if we get a candidate who can not only win states like North Carolina and Michigan, but put states like Arizona and Texas in play. We can expand the map, and win down the ballot because of it. I expanded the map on the state level while running for Governor, I intend to do it again. And I’m experienced stumping for downballot candidates, I did it all throughout my time in the Baharia campaign as one of the most prominent Hispanics in his administration.”

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 pm

Sanabel wrote:
Dentali wrote:

“Of course I do. And I believe we can flip the Senate this year- if we get a candidate who can not only win states like North Carolina and Michigan, but put states like Arizona and Texas in play. We can expand the map, and win down the ballot because of it. I expanded the map on the state level while running for Governor, I intend to do it again. And I’m experienced stumping for downballot candidates, I did it all throughout my time in the Baharia campaign as one of the most prominent Hispanics in his administration.”

"In the party" Moore added to Velez's assessment "I'm not as bullish on Texas as many are in the party... or Arizona even with Hispanic turnout. How would you get Progressives back on board in the general? They would definitely be bitter regarding their wing again not getting the nomination."

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 pm

Sarenium wrote:
Puertollano wrote:
"I believe we have to be fervently pro-union, if there is a time where we've needed them the most, this would be the most dire hour. I think it's too politically calculating to worry about concerning anti-union elements of this party, because at the end of the day, that's our base of support, fundraising and the Wolf Administrations biggest weakness."

She frowned, "how would you amend Taft if more than half the party opposes any changes to Right-To-Work laws?"

Levi shook his head. "There's no convincing people, really, who already oppose the abolition to the "Right to Work" laws. The ability to organize is fundamental, and should be fundamental to anyone interested in supporting the working class. I mean, outlawing political or solidarity strikes? If they do not already see something evidently wrong in Taft, there's no convincing them to amend the Act. In all honesty, I wouldn't even want to amend it. The Taft-Hartley Act needs to be repealed, and I want you to stand strong on that. I know you're running for President, think about all of the press coverage you'd get, for standing up for working people."
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:39 am

Levi Murphy Meeting w/ Sunrise Movement
Los Angeles, California

When the Levi Campaign held their fundraising concert in Sacramento a few weeks ago, the campaign learnt more about the growing Sunrise Movement built-off the backs of the youth to promote climate activism and support candidates who endorsed the Green New Deal. The Sunrise Movement were influential in electing candidates during the 2018 Midterm elections that were in favor of the Green New Deal, and the Levi campaign organised for the Senator to meet a few of these young activists in a public meeting they were holding in Los Angeles. As Levi Murphy is trying to create a strong coalition to win California, that includes the youth vote, he hoped that arriving and speaking to them at length about his proposals may help him win their endorsement come in the primary. Hopefully even before California starts voting.

The Senator arrived and before he set out to make his speech to the audience, he first networked among the young activists. He spoke with them, treating them as equals and listened to their concerns about the politics of America in this day of age. The campaign distributed leaflets that laid out the Senator's plan for the environment, including his ambitious Green New Deal to transform the American economy away from fossil fuels. This would be a very supportive environment for that, and the Senator flouted his environmental record and policies while talkign with them.

Levi Murphy was given a microphone and spoke to the room of young activists. "Hello, as you may know, I am Senator Levi Murphy of Minnesota. I probably have gone around and spoken with the majority of you now, so I guess you will know who I am. I am running for President of the United States to enact radical reform on behalf of the American people: but I need the support of people like you, the youth, to win this race to the White House. I am pro-union, I am the only candidate who supports Medicare for All, I support eliminating college debt and relieving those who have currently of all their debt, and I am the only person in the race that has released a Green New Deal plan to transform this economy to combat climate change."

Levi received a standing ovation for it. He smiled in gratitude and tried to get the applause to stop. "It's a funny word we live in, when listening to the scientists and acting on it is something to applaud! We should be living in an America where we're already half-way there to eliminating fossil fuels and moving totally onto a renewable base of electricity. It's madness and it's you all that will suffer because of our lack of leadership in Washington D.C. Wolf was right with one thing, it is a swamp in there, but he's the biggest swamp creature alive. He listens only to corporate advisers, picked for him from Wall Street, and they're telling him it's all a hoax. And that we don't need to do anything. Well, Wolf, climate change is real. It's happening. And it's your children that will suffer because of it. It's the children on the Global South that will suffer because of it.

Now: let's talk the Green New Deal. It's not good enough just saying your in favor of a Green New Deal, you need to explain your plan thoroughly, and that's what I plan to do here today. You can read the basics of the leaflets that were handed out before, on recycled paper, or visit our website at Levi2020 dot com. Under my Green New Deal, we will move radically to eliminate fossil fuel electricity by 2040. We will use all current and emerging technologies to move to 100% renewable energy at 2040 by the latest, and it really is the latest. These new renewable projects will target places that have been hurt the most by the corporate economic model pushed on American workers. That includes the industrial Mid-West, that includes Appalachia, Iowa and so forth. That will be 20 million new jobs, including the re-establishment of the Conservation Corp to keep our cities, parks and wilderness healthy. We have boundless opportunities in this country, so let's harvest them and move to green technology now, so we can reach our deadline for 2040.

We will introduce a carbon tax that puts a price per tonne on the carbon emitted by the big polluters. They won't want to warm up our planet when it hurts their figures and elite CEO salaries, when it comes down to it, when it hurts their bottom-line, they will move to renewable themselves and speed up the process towards a green electrical future. This green future includes having our assets publicly owned, so the people of our country are price-gouged and reasonable prices will be ready for everyone and available to everyone. We are going to re-oin the Paris Climate Agreement and be a world leader on climate action, not sitting back and letting Europe and China lead the way on renewable technology. We need to be at the forefront of this battle against climate change.

Our Green New Deal includes a just transition for coal and gas workers. Read my lips: not a single worker will lose their jobs because of the climate catastrophe. We'll invest public resources into coal country to promote cultural activities, jobs and so forth. We'll introduce $1 public transport fees nation-wide and make public transport more viable for many students, workers and the retirees across the country. We'll end fossil fuel subsidies. Put price-caps on electric vehicles so many workers and low-income families can afford to purchase them. Break-up the big agribusiness polluters and put control back into the hands of local family farmers, not large multi-national conglomerates. Promote research and investment into creating the new green technology for the future, not lagging behind the rest of the developing world. Declare a climate emergency to facilitate the action we need to take. Ban fracking, it hurts our environment and our farmers, and is untenable in a green future. Support Native-Americans in preserving their reserves, promote re-forestation and put real and tangible protection over their land from the big polluters who want to demolish these sacred lands. Clean out the EPA, give it teeth and make it pro-environment once again and protect our air and water with proper regulations. This includes fixing Flint, Michigan once and for all, and stopping the Dakota Access Pipeline."
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:40 am

Puertollano wrote:
Sarenium wrote:

Levi shook his head. "There's no convincing people, really, who already oppose the abolition to the "Right to Work" laws. The ability to organize is fundamental, and should be fundamental to anyone interested in supporting the working class. I mean, outlawing political or solidarity strikes? If they do not already see something evidently wrong in Taft, there's no convincing them to amend the Act. In all honesty, I wouldn't even want to amend it. The Taft-Hartley Act needs to be repealed, and I want you to stand strong on that. I know you're running for President, think about all of the press coverage you'd get, for standing up for working people."

"I oppose Right-to-Work legislation, Senator," she replied coolly, "I come from a working class family, my education may not scream it but scholarships work miracles, but our party's integrity must be maintained. You can't get a repeal through Congress, how would you convert your talk to action?"
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Sarenium
Senator

Postby Sarenium » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:22 am

Industrial Relations White Paper
At ww.w.jilliandayton.com/workers | April 20, 2020

Summary:
- Introduction of Fair Industrial Awards for Industrial Sectors.
- A Fair Minimum Wage
- Fair Retirement
- Higher fines on anti-Union behaviors from companies.

Industrial Awards
A Dayton Administration would pursue laws that allow for sector-wide bargaining. Sector-wide bargaining would occur through a revamped National Fairwork Authority (replacing the NLRB) which would convene negotiations between employee representatives and employers. The NFA would also be the point of appeal should issues and disputes arise between employers and employees with regards to their sectoral arrangements. Industrial Awards would be the basis for any Enterprise Bargaining Arrangements which would come from Union-Negotiations. A Dayton Administration will also make it illegal for a company to pay its employees differently across sites for the same work.

Amend Taft
Fining companies that engage in anti-union practice is critical to addressing income inequality in the United States. A Dayton Administration will implement a minimum standard of authority for Unions to be permitted to enter sites, while fining companies which actively hinder their employee's capacity to associate freely with any Union. Freedom of Association must be extended freely by all companies, and entities. Workers must be given the choice to unionize or not.

A Real Minimum Wage
A Dayton Administration would phase in a raise to the Minimum Wage from $7.25 to $12.00 over a three year (2021, 2022, 2023) period, after which it would be pegged to CPI and Inflation from 2024, with the to-be-formed NFA undertaking an annual wage review to conclude what raise the minimum wage should receive every year thereafter. It is abhorrent that our minimum wage remains at the whims of Congress, 17 States already do this with more planning to implement indexing over time. There would also be parity between the tipped and untipped minimum wages.

Public Option 401k
Roughly half of all Americans are covered by a 401k scheme through their employer. Under a Dayton Administration, employees would have the opportunity to voluntarily contribute 2% of their income into a disaster fund, by doing so their employer would contribute 4% of their income into a retirement fund. Under this plan, a middle earning worker who volunteers their income could retire with over $500,000 in retirement savings (assuming a 2% inflation rate with fund returns between 5% and 3%). This would be coupled with Social Security, a company's separate pension/retirement plan and any state pension/retirement plan already enacted. This would simply be an opportunity for those without access to such funds to have some independence in later life and an opportunity for Middle Class professionals to top up their own retirement plans.
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:12 am

New Cobastheia wrote:"Honestly, I'm not completely sure a bill like that could exist. The wording would have to be very, very specific for it to even pass the House and Senate with a normal majority, let alone 2/3rds and all the states too. Personally, I think it'd be easier to get the ERA passed is to win Virginia later this year, then win the Senate and the Presidency next year, then pass an extension for the amendment, and then hope the courts end up agreeing with us somehow but that's just me, both ways seem annoyingly hard.

"Your cynicism is entirely understandable, Kathleen. I wouldn't even be considering this option if I had more confidence in the deadline extension and the three state plan. But with so many conservative justices, I'm scared that they won't just leave it dead in the water, they'll make some kind of ruling that obstructs any attempt to save the original E.R.A." She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. "We'll definitely take another crack at it after the election, that's for sure."
Neoliberal

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:25 am

Dentali wrote:
Sanabel wrote:“Of course I do. And I believe we can flip the Senate this year- if we get a candidate who can not only win states like North Carolina and Michigan, but put states like Arizona and Texas in play. We can expand the map, and win down the ballot because of it. I expanded the map on the state level while running for Governor, I intend to do it again. And I’m experienced stumping for downballot candidates, I did it all throughout my time in the Baharia campaign as one of the most prominent Hispanics in his administration.”

"In the party" Moore added to Velez's assessment "I'm not as bullish on Texas as many are in the party... or Arizona even with Hispanic turnout. How would you get Progressives back on board in the general? They would definitely be bitter regarding their wing again not getting the nomination."

“I would make clear that my goals are progressive. My record is progressive in Florida. I just have a different idea of how to achieve progressive goals. I will also nominate progressives to my cabinet, especially to the Department of Labor. I’m not Baginski- but to be frank, neither are any of the other candidates. Baginski Bros probably won’t turn out for any of them either. So, we have a responsibility to reach out to Hispanics and African Americans who didn’t vote in 2016, and to suburbanites who voted for (not-Romney) and just want to see good, responsible government in Washington again.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse