NATION

PASSWORD

Elderly Firearms Limitations Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Scherzinger
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Elderly Firearms Limitations Act

Postby Scherzinger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:10 am

Appalled at the General Assembly's lack of legislation on safe gun laws for the elderly

Concerned about the safety of citizens potentially affected by the previous statement

Recognizing the likelihood of the elderly obtaining or possessing a firearm

Observing the lack of restriction(s) placed on the elderly, barring them from purchasing, trading, or otherwise obtaining a firearm

Acknowledging that the elderly owning guns can be dangerous due to their degrading physical and mental health

Recognizing the risk of developing mental disorders, which are increasingly likely with advanced age, and thus increase the probability of a crime in which a firearm may be used

Understanding that cognitive impairment due to mental disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, other forms of dementia, as well as depression and psychosis, increase the risk of elderly people carrying firearms

Alarmed that continued lack of restrictions increases the risks of the elderly comitting a crime involving the use of a firearm, regardless of intent

Defines Elderly Person(s) As: A person or persons who has reached the age of 70 years of age

Defines A Firearm As: any weapon which will or is designed to or may readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.

Excludes Non-Lethal weapon such as an air rifle, slingshot, blowgun, or bow/arrow which expel projectiles by pressurized air or other manmade action.

Motivated by the need to increase the safety and security of all World Assembly nation participants

Hereby:

Mandates that a proof of age be shown when purchasing a firearm

Requires that citizens own a license to carry a firearm

Revokes Firearm licenses from the elderly upon crossing the threshold set by the definition of an elderly person.

Forbids all World Assembly nations from permitting the purchase, sale, and ownership of firearms to/from the elderly

I know im missing alot here, but i cant figure out what it is

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 am

Pretty much Satuga's reaction in a nutshell: :rofl:

OOC: Honestly this will never pass through democratic 2nd amendment baring countries. Just because someone is old does not mean they shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves. My nation as a whole will literally never support this Act no matter what "statistics" you decide to throw into it.
Last edited by Satuga on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:14 am

Illegal for contradicting GA#399 "Responsibility In Transferring Arms," Article 5. It is not true that all elderly people are "individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action."

EDIT TO ADD: Not all WA member states have a human population, as you should have clued out from NOFEAR's "Age of Consent" clusterfuck - some nations don't even have people who live to seventy, while others still have septuagenarian infants...
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 am

Probably one of the reasons, good ol' Skyhooked won't be joinin' WA anytime soon. All gotta have right and means for self defense, and as far as one knows, most elderly folks ain't excellin' at good ol' melee. Gun is... slightly easier to retain skill with.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:23 am

Scherzinger wrote:again, no need for anymore replies, its scrapped

Sorry, I got ninja'd a lil bit.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Scherzinger wrote:again, no need for anymore replies, its scrapped

I would edit [SCRAPPED] or [ABANDONED] into the thread title to make that clear.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

The Yellow Monkey
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Monkey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:44 pm

I agree that we should limit the use of elderly firearms. There's all sorts or problems with elderly firearms including that they don't work good if the powder gets wet, they're generally unreliable at any sort of distance, and they're liable to misfire if you haven't properly maintained your cock spring (it's a real thing, I'm not just being dirty). Given all these problems I do believe limitations on elderly firearms could fit under the GA # 399 exception for "future regulations which seek to prevent firearms * * * that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action."

Hope that helps.
Last edited by The Yellow Monkey on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Scherzinger wrote:Appalled at the General Assembly's lack of legislation on safe gun laws for the elderly

Concerned about the safety of citizens potentially affected by the previous statement

Recognizing the likelihood of the elderly obtaining or possessing a firearm

Observing the lack of restriction(s) placed on the elderly, barring them from purchasing, trading, or otherwise obtaining a firearm

Acknowledging that the elderly owning guns can be dangerous due to their degrading physical and mental health

Recognizing the risk of developing mental disorders, which are increasingly likely with advanced age, and thus increase the probability of a crime in which a firearm may be used

Understanding that cognitive impairment due to mental disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, other forms of dementia, as well as depression and psychosis, increase the risk of elderly people carrying firearms

Alarmed that continued lack of restrictions increases the risks of the elderly comitting a crime involving the use of a firearm, regardless of intent

Defines Elderly Person(s) As: A person or persons who has reached the age of 70 years of age

Defines A Firearm As: any weapon which will or is designed to or may readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.

Excludes Non-Lethal weapon such as an air rifle, slingshot, blowgun, or bow/arrow which expel projectiles by pressurized air or other manmade action.

Motivated by the need to increase the safety and security of all World Assembly nation participants

Hereby:

Mandates that a proof of age be shown when purchasing a firearm

Requires that citizens own a license to carry a firearm

Revokes Firearm licenses from the elderly upon crossing the threshold set by the definition of an elderly person.

Forbids all World Assembly nations from permitting the purchase, sale, and ownership of firearms to/from the elderly

OOC: Changing the thread title (edit the title of the first post) to include something like "abandoned" signals to people that you're no longer working on this.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Wind Flower
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind Flower » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:34 pm

We at Wind Flower do not believe that the possession of such harmful tools is necessary. Communication and understatement to reach a valid conclusion can solve essentially any problem and harmful means are not necessary. Please refrain from use or language of the terms of such materials in our country as we do not condone or enact this behavior. We at Wind Flower believe in peace in natural means, and use of firearms simply is not natural.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly