NATION

PASSWORD

DEU Assembly (Democritus Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:32 am

Blueprint for Monetary Union

The final steps towards the establishment of a monetary union can only be taken with the approval of participating member states (with France being compulsory due to the DEU ERM's peg to Franc). As such, approving this proposal does not bring any of these changes into immediate effect, however it will formally enshrine the blueprint into DEU law and enable future implementation without need for a vote.

I. A ban on cryptocurrency in participating countries - the recent speculative attack against Russia shows that other nations are willing to weaponize exchange rates, and the new global currency transaction tax only applies to official fiat currency - meaning that cryptocurrencies are now the last such tool available for speculation. France warned this very Assembly that a speculative attack could be inflicted against Europe, and we were proved correct. Now we must fortify our continent's new Monetary Union against them once and for all.

II. Implementation of an exchange rate mechanism which would facilitate the transition of member-state currencies into a narrower band centered around the Franc.

III. The European Standard Bank's 'Fiscal Resistance' policy will be reinforced through high value investments. It shall act as an emergency bailout source for economic crises, support for recovery, and provision of regional/cohesion funds - a form of emergency fiscal stimulus.

IV. The European Clearing Union will be maintained after the introduction of the International Bancor System, to aid the ESB in monitoring the continent's trade and wider economy. It will thus be able to monitor countries with extreme trade surpluses and trade deficits, preventing debt crises from developing. While it is maintained as a monitoring system, the new International Bancor System will effectively replace the transfer device at the European level as trade imbalances are subsequently addressed at the CSN. Remember - extreme surpluses and extreme deficits around the globe will be corrected by the Bancor, meaning no country can perpetually be stuck with a huge deficit that they are unable to manage without creating a debt crisis.

V. The European Standard Bank shall become the institution responsible for determining European monetary policy, and issuing the new common currency. Each member state would be represented equally on the board and the ESB will act impartially based upon sound economic judgement.

VI. Introduction of central bank digital currency for a 6 month period prior to physical banknotes and coins - both digital and physical banknotes and coins may feature distinct designs based upon the member-states, including iconography or informal names in reference to previous national currencies.

VII. Suspension of liquidity and ESB board membership for member-states which violate the Ideals of the Union or create an unsustainable public or private debt bubble, in excess of their national trend prior to the introduction of the Euro without Assembly approval.

VIII. An exit clause by which countries could leave the monetary union guaranteed, including a temporary parallel payments system based upon tax account transfers, central bank digital currency to immediately and automatically convert Euro into national currency and reserves of physical banknotes and coins for both Euro and national currency at premises of the former national central banks for use in crisis.

Ayes: France, Germany.
Last edited by New Metropolitan France on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 am

Australia ERA PLUS

- Australia and the DEU shall establish a memorandum of understanding to target and implement policies in compliance with the Reykjavík Convention.

- Australia will will allow and give impartial consideration of requests for tender open to firms operating within the DEU EIM for their national public procurement, with the DEU EIM responding reciprocally to Australian firms.

- Acceptance of free and fair competition principles across all markets which are not state-dominated.

- Gradual elimination of export subsidies which stand in excess of those entitled to DEU EIM firms, over a period of 5 years.

- Gradual abolition of exchange rate and capital controls in relation to the EIM economy over a 5 year period.

- Recognition and charge-free non-discriminatory usage of the newly-established European Financial Transaction Communication Network.

- Anti-dumping regulations on the event that a particular product/service has created an adverse effect on the local industry of the importing nation [be it in formal complaint under pretext, and a thorough investigation].

United Democratic Christian States
Minister

Founded: Sep 29, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby United Democratic Christian States » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 am

Aye to both
Call me Greg (my IRL name) or UDCS. Whichever works best for you.

"[28] He said to them: 'You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.' "
-Acts 10:28

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:13 am

"Thank you for your support. All previous proposals have passed. We now invite a North American delegation to address this Assembly."

The Underground Movement Union
Senator

Founded: Mar 07, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Underground Movement Union » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:40 am

Canadian Representative and Nuclear Science Professor Kameron Gardener would approach the podium, setting down a stack of papers, adjusting his glasses and clearing his throat. He would look over the audience before him, establishing eye contact before he began. He would address the Assembly,

"The Hyper Democratic Union of Canada for a great while now has been formulating a plan to see to a "technological, economic and socially prosperous future for our great country. This has involved the preservation and continuation of the Canadian identity as a homogenous, largely English but generally European, Christian nation, and continuation and evolution of the arts and culture that goes with such an identity. This has involved the various foreign and economic policies of the nation, ranging from Stone's "New Grand Dream," to transform the country into such a place where all people can live freely from the influences of the World outside of them, where God can be placed first in their day-to-day lives, where they need not fear oppression be it by bosses and screws nor an all-consuming bureaucratic government; where one can own the product of their own labor and work on their own terms, where every Canadian proudly say they love their country, for it is all that they want it to be; a place they would kill and die defending if they must, all for an objective greater good; to our usage and interpretation of Big Stick Diplomacy and Realpolitik, as we wish as Canada may hold this vision of a Grand Dream, so may any other nation willing to work with us in securing a future free from the dominance and violence of ever-competing and manipulative super powers; and otherwise, and as it stands most importantly and recently, attempting to modify our obligations to better benefit Canada.

Canadians before have been quite upset at the over-usage of Canada as a shield against South Americans despite it being entirely against our interest, and this has lead us to many citizens and elements of the political establishment, admittedly wind up harboring feelings of resentment against Europe. This is why the Supreme Court has recently passed a law which would guarantee the legality of Puertollano's occupation of a certain German island, despite the infighting at the time between the Canadian President's desire to stay and the Supreme Court's desire to force a leave. I know just by bringing such a thing up I do bring great risk of debate being sparked between Canada and Germany particularly, but remember that Canada never asked for any ships to show up in the Caribbean, bringing a fight that should have been exclusive to the Iberian peninsula to our doorstep, nor did the people of today's modern Canadian political establishment desire there to be islands, be they armed, be they disarmed, to sit in European control. I am certain that Europe would not enjoy a Canadian annexation of the island of Jersey nor a continued Canadian presence in Iberia, and heaven forbid we armed them to any extent. It is no different from Canada and the islands of the Caribbean, the plots of land owned in South America and otherwise anywhere near or in the two American continents. And it isn't simply that we dislike Europe, no! We wish only the greatest of cooperation with Europe, but as history has shown the Caribbean and otherwise has been a hotspot of contention between our southern neighbors and Europe, and there must come a point where we must side with one side or the other, and the destabilization or destruction of South America certainly isn't happening any time soon. I again realize so much as bringing this up is going to spark debate and may harm relations with some European nations, but understand that I wouldn't be up here saying these things if Canada had done the same to Europe, and that this is an issue that may harbor reprehensible consequences for Canadian-European relations in the near or long-term future unless it is addressed. It has never been in Canada's interest to war with South America. If the Soviet Union was still a threat to North America, we wouldn't expect any country in Europe to run the risk of nuclear suicide for our sake.

Of course, you did not come here today to hear me babble on about the foreign policy issues between Canada and Europe, nor did I come here to babble about my vision of an ideal society, nor preach to you the gospel. No, if you wanted that you should just listen to Anchorage Time go off about some crazy conspiracy nonsense of French people controlling the banks of North America or some-such. You came here to hear me speak about an issue of equal importance. An issue that I am rather passionate about, and an issue that deeply concerns me in how it's been addressed, misused in some cases, to pass policies that are utterly pointless, and especially all these things recently. Before we get into that, I do want to say that I do indeed see myself as more of a visionary than much else. I mean this in the sense that I like to think imaginatively, speculatively and somewhat optimistically. I do believe that the issue of climate change can indeed be resolved, but we are going to be talking about resolving it for decades, possibly centuries into the future unless we come up with a consistent and genuinely long-term and effective goal for the future. There's been talk of expanding the usage of conversions of CO2 to Ethanol, and while Canada and by that extension North America has been doing this for a great deal of time, still won't necessarily stop climate change. Some have argued that we must begin using solar and wind power. While I'm not against such usage, it's far from going to get us anywhere meaningful in the long term. As it stands, nuclear energy has the highest capacity factor. Nuclear energy has by far the highest capacity factor of any other energy source. I mean to say, nuclear power plants are producing maximum power more than 92% of the time during the year. That’s about 1.5 to 2 times more as natural gas and coal units, and 2.5 to 3.5 times more reliable than wind and solar plants. Solar power and wind power may be a thing of a future; a future much too distant for us to put any major focus in the now. Nuclear energy, I would argue is the future of our power-producing needs. Not solar. Not wind. Nuclear, and the likes. There have been concerns over Nuclear energy being deadly and dangerous, but you consider that of the eight decades of our using of nuclear energy, yet throughout our history so few nuclear power plants ever had meltdowns compared to the number of nuclear power plants. You consider that while maybe yes it is reasonable to be skeptical of nuclear power plants due to a potential risk of a meltdown, that does not change the fact that it indeed fulfills out power needs that much better than natural gas and coal units and thus is objectively a better and more efficient alternative, and these issues of meltdowns can be mitigated through researching alternatives to nuclear energy such as thorium and fusion power, both of which have the potential to be far superior to even nuclear energy itself, and through researching more about nuclear energy itself; to better understand it, to better know how to respond to such situations. You may call this somewhat hypocritical as I take attention away from Solar and Wind and yet I focus on something with greater destruction potential; but if that's what you've drawn out of all I have thus far said pertaining to this subject, then you'd have to admit that the lack of effectiveness that wind and solar currently holds is a tell-tale sign that it may not be the greatest go-to solution for our energy needs if we are to supersede and see to the redundancy of coal and natural gas plants. There is plenty of potential in nuclear power, thorium and fusion; the likes. Yet as it stands there isn't too much to look at with wind and solar. Maybe in the next half century, or the next century. Not only this but nuclear, thorium and fusion as it stands could see to advancements not just in superseding natural gas and coal, but could also see to advancements in other fields as well, be it space, be it even medical, agrarian, or industrial, as much as a surprise as that may be to some people.

Canada by itself could see to the utter mass-construction and mass transformation of Canada from what it is now; which while impressive still isn't at its fullest potential, and it would make great progress by itself in further removal from usage of coal and natural gas, it certainly would be no where close to how great things could be with all of North America and Europe committing to a future age. So, I implore all of you here today at this assembly, to see to it that both North America and Europe may share a Grand Dream; one where we are free from the fears of climate change, be it used as a political ploy to pass legislation, be it an actual issue that plagues and threatens the human race. Thank you, and God bless you all."
Last edited by The Underground Movement Union on Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandes Terres
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandes Terres » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:26 am

Aye
Anthem of the Federation of Franco-British Republics: La Victoire est à Nous / Victory is Ours

Personality type: INFP-T

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:56 am

"We thank Professor Gardener for their address to this Assembly. We stand with them on their emphasis on climate change technological cooperation, and so bring forth the following Trans-Atlantic ERA PLUS draft document for final approval by the diplomats of Strasbourg."

- FUNA and the DEU EIM shall produce targets and implement policies in compliance with the Reykjavík Convention on Climate Change as shown in the CSN, and work cooperatively in the field of research and development to develop new forms of sustainable and efficient technology - with an emphasis on the policy area of nuclear energy.

- Allowance and impartial consideration of requests for tender open to firms operating within the DEU EIM for their national public procurement.

- Regulation on anti-dumping.

- Acceptance of free and fair competition principles across all markets which are not state-dominated.

- Elimination of export subsidies which stand in excess of those entitled to DEU EIM firms.

- Abolition of exchange rate and capital controls in relation to the EIM economy.

- Recognition and charge-free non-discriminatory usage of the newly-established European Financial Transaction Communication Network.

The Russian Federated States
Attaché

Founded: Apr 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Russian Federated States » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:30 pm

abstain

Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Democratic Christian States » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Aye

"[28] He said to them: 'You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean.' "

Grandes Terres
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grandes Terres » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Aye
Anthem of the Federation of Franco-British Republics: La Victoire est à Nous / Victory is Ours

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 pm

Portable Electronic Device Regulation

All new portable electronic devices, including but not limited to mobile phones, and their retailers/producers/service providers within the European Internal Market must abide by the following regulatory standards;

- A common charging port on all such devices, cross-compatible across the EIM.
- A right to repair such devices, including support services from retailers/producers for at least four years past the date of sale within the DEU EIM and warranty extended protection to include allowance of licensed third-party repair service providers.
- Adherence to a common roaming charge for calls, texts and internet usage across the DEU EIM.
- Continued support for any online services required for the operation of major features of such devices over a minimum period of six years.
- Ban on the deliberate or malicious slowing performance on such devices carried out as an attempt to incentivize replacement of existing devices with newer alternatives.

Ayes: France

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:08 am

"The Assembly floor is currently empty, all proposals have passed - thank you."

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:16 am

New Metropolitan France wrote:Portable Electronic Device Regulation

All new portable electronic devices, including but not limited to mobile phones, and their retailers/producers/service providers within the European Internal Market must abide by the following regulatory standards;

- A common charging port on all such devices, cross-compatible across the EIM.
- A right to repair such devices, including support services from retailers/producers for at least four years past the date of sale within the DEU EIM and warranty extended protection to include allowance of licensed third-party repair service providers.
- Adherence to a common roaming charge for calls, texts and internet usage across the DEU EIM.
- Continued support for any online services required for the operation of major features of such devices over a minimum period of six years.
- Ban on the deliberate or malicious slowing performance on such devices carried out as an attempt to incentivize replacement of existing devices with newer alternatives.

While this proposal has passed, we propose a new amendment;

"A common audio jack, cross-compatible across the EIM."

Ayes: France, Germany.
Nays: URT, Russia.
Last edited by New Metropolitan France on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Russian Federated States » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:24 am

Nay

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Orostan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:46 pm

aye
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Grandes Terres
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grandes Terres » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Nay

“The antiquated headphone jack should no longer be considered a key component on devices, the year is 2026 and Bluetooth earphones can be purchased for extremely low prices that compete with archaic plug-in earphones.”

“Europe needs to look to the future and stop scrambling to keep hold of old relics such as headphone jacks.”
Last edited by Grandes Terres on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Russian Federated States » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:07 pm

“We ask that the Orostani delegation be escorted and arrested for voting in a European council. We also suggest that they should be fined for what they’ve done.”

Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Democratic Christian States » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Aye

Bengal and Assam
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bengal and Assam » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:41 pm

"Although we have no business here. We, the Kawanese delegation propose, no, we merely suggest that Europe adopt the 3.5mm headphone jack as a standard across the continent. Its small and compact, while supporting mostly the same features as its larger and more complicated counterparts, in terms of daily use by the average person. We can produce a sample before this Assembly if the honourable members would like."
Last edited by Bengal and Assam on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A country with a mixed Bengali, British and Oriental population and culture. NSStats not Used...
Led By Susan Itai... Mostly MT, with some elements of FT.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
NEWS: BBSOne
Story Thread: Rise of the North, a Canada ISOT

Grandes Terres
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grandes Terres » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am

“The URT delegation is appalled at the infringements made by the Orostani and Bengali infiltrators who have absolutely no right to speak in this European assembly without prior invitation.”

“Remove them from this assembly immediately.”

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Russian Federated States » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:24 pm

The Soviet Union calls for a meeting of the DEU Assembly.

The Soviet Department of European Affairs said Wednesday it has called an emergency meeting on the current situation as the virus continues to spread and people are demanding answers. The Soviet delegation warned other repressentatives that the disease can become unstoppable if the member-states do not ramp up the fight against the virus. The Soviet ambassador to the DEU Assembly, Alexei Doronov, stated that Europe needs to focus its efforts and resoruces on cure research. He also stated that Moscow hopes for DEU's help in the fight against PKHF.

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 pm

The Russian Federated States wrote:
The Soviet Union calls for a meeting of the DEU Assembly.

The Soviet Department of European Affairs said Wednesday it has called an emergency meeting on the current situation as the virus continues to spread and people are demanding answers. The Soviet delegation warned other repressentatives that the disease can become unstoppable if the member-states do not ramp up the fight against the virus. The Soviet ambassador to the DEU Assembly, Alexei Doronov, stated that Europe needs to focus its efforts and resoruces on cure research. He also stated that Moscow hopes for DEU's help in the fight against PKHF.

European Health Emergency

Given the recent identification of PKHF-293 travelling across national borders, France proposes the following;

I. That the DEU Assembly proclaim a 'European Health Emergency' and recognize the current outbreak as a pandemic.
II. That a EHE Special Advisory Commission be established in Strasbourg with representatives from each member state in the fields of medical knowledge, economic crises and diplomacy to make recommendations for policy responses to this pandemic as required.
III. That further meetings of the European Senate and DEU Assembly be held via a secure digital platform until such a time that the EHE Special Advisory Commission recommends that any threat posed by the pandemic has been controlled.
IV. That the free movement of people within the EIM be suspended until such a time that the EHE Special Advisory Commission recommends that any threat posed by the pandemic has been controlled.
V. That the Continental Healthcare Accord and Social Entitlements Collection Scheme become compulsory for the EIM until repealed by this Assembly.
VI. That EIM visas with non-member states be suspended until such a time that the EHE Special Advisory Commission recommends that any threat posed by the pandemic has been controlled.
VII. That all DEU staff, institutions, and premises be reduced to minimum operational requirements until such a time that the EHE Special Advisory Commission recommends that any threat posed by the pandemic has been controlled.
VIII. That the Trans-European Transport Network be suspended until such a time that the EHE Special Advisory Commission recommends that any threat posed by the pandemic has been controlled.
IX. Foreign Aid Council spending will be redirected to affected nations within the DEU until such a time that the EHE Special Advisory Commission recommends that any threat posed by the pandemic has been controlled.
X. Solidarity of Europe is critical in attempting to contain this pandemic and establishing a vaccine.

The French Seventh Republic will also enact a full quarantine around Strasbourg to ensure the health of any Europeans residing within it.

Last edited by New Metropolitan France on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby United Democratic Christian States » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:56 am

Aye

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Russian Federated States » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Aye

New Metropolitan France
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Metropolitan France » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:34 am

ESB relocation

The European Standard Bank shall be relocated to Strasbourg in order to ensure that continuity with the remaining DEU institutions is maintained, harmonization of employment and regulatory procedures in put into place and that it resides inside of the country whose monetary policy it shall administer in due course.

Ayes: France, GU.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates