NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Reduce Abortions Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Legolannd
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Legolannd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:15 am

Outboundstagnate wrote:
Legolannd wrote:A Fetus is a human. it's a living, breathing human being.

(OOC) That is philisophical.

No, it really isn't.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:16 am

Against.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 am

The Brytish Isles wrote:

Non-human member states constitute a notable percentage of WA membership. These same non-human majority member-states remain committed to GA#286

Don't try to speak for nations other than your own. At least some of the "non-human" member nations would support a repeal of that resolution.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Brytish Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Brytish Isles » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 am

Bears Armed wrote:
The Brytish Isles wrote:
Non-human member states constitute a notable percentage of WA membership. These same non-human majority member-states remain committed to GA#286

Don't try to speak for nations other than your own. At least some of the "non-human" member nations would support a repeal of that resolution.

Understood. Pardon the transgression.
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
Make America Great Britain Again
Overview | Profiles | Templates | Embassy | Politics

| National Report | “Beautiful Albion” programme aimed at decreasing pollution, cleaning litter and renovating inhabited areas to go ahead, says Westminster correspondent. // Polish Crown Prince Konstanty announces birth of son, both mother and child “in good health.” // Prime Minister White-Patel and Austrian counterpart Leopold Mayr expected to meet in Vienna on Monday to discuss furthering Austro-Brytish ties.

Legolannd
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Legolannd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 am

Bears Armed wrote:
The Brytish Isles wrote:

Thank you.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:19 am

Legolannd wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Don't try to speak for nations other than your own. At least some of the "non-human" member nations would support a repeal of that resolution.

Thank you.

It was a point of order, he wasn't helping you...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The New Bluestocking Homeland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Bluestocking Homeland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:25 am

Marxist Germany wrote:"Contradicts the Goddamned GA#286 sadly."

"FTFY, Ambassador.

The proposing Ambassador may also wish to look to #128, requiring member states to offer and to protect the abortion rights of women facing severe health risks, carrying foetuses to be born with severe incurable conditions and to women who have been raped and to "ensure that abortion facilities are easily available to patients seeking abortion" in such circumstances. Mandating cutting such abortions by 50% -- meaning denying abortions to dying and desperate women -- would not only be undesirable, it would be contradictory, suggesting there are two resolutions that would need overturning.

Which this delegation doesn't see happening. Ever.

Thank goodness.

Against."
Last edited by The New Bluestocking Homeland on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:26 am

OOC: Against this and any attempt to repeal resolutions 286 and 128. (Except for requiring abortionplexes for all, of course.)
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 am

Legolannd wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC
The GA has, however undesirable some people might consider this, decided otherwise.

Proposal Rules: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=159348
Passed Resolutions (searchable thread): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30

Again, it's not a right.

Ooc: it is, as a matter of law, a right. You can disagree if you would like in a moral sense, but the WA democratically voted to give women the right to receive an abortion on demand. That makes it a right, and any attempt to limit that right will contradict that law and be illegal until you repeal GAR#286.

IC: "We are opposed to all attempts to limit abortion access. Legalizing abortion reduces overall social costs, and is a net boon to society. Historically, the major proponents of a pro-life agenda have proven themselves unworthy of trust, and, frankly, we see little reason to assume good faith in their ideological allies. Opposed."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 am

OOC: This forum is for drafting and passing legislation in the General Assembly. Current GA law permits abortion, absolutely. Unless you're going to draft a repeal of such existing law, most of this discussion (philosophical as it is) belongs over in the General forum. Please take it there to continue arguing morals and ethics and biology. Remain here only to discuss GA law.

/Notamod
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Legolannd
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Legolannd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Legolannd wrote:Again, it's not a right.

Ooc: it is, as a matter of law, a right. You can disagree if you would like in a moral sense, but the WA democratically voted to give women the right to receive an abortion on demand. That makes it a right, and any attempt to limit that right will contradict that law and be illegal until you repeal GAR#286.

IC: "We are opposed to all attempts to limit abortion access. Legalizing abortion reduces overall social costs, and is a net boon to society. Historically, the major proponents of a pro-life agenda have proven themselves unworthy of trust, and, frankly, we see little reason to assume good faith in their ideological allies. Opposed."

hahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the funniest thing. Net boom, are you kdding me? Oh god. Oh, and insult me, that's gonna get your point across.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:41 am

Legolannd wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: it is, as a matter of law, a right. You can disagree if you would like in a moral sense, but the WA democratically voted to give women the right to receive an abortion on demand. That makes it a right, and any attempt to limit that right will contradict that law and be illegal until you repeal GAR#286.

hahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the funniest thing. Net boom, are you kdding me? Oh god. Oh, and insult me, that's gonna get your point across.

'Well, it does a better job of bringing a point across than coming here claiming falsehoods.'
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am

Legolannd wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: it is, as a matter of law, a right. You can disagree if you would like in a moral sense, but the WA democratically voted to give women the right to receive an abortion on demand. That makes it a right, and any attempt to limit that right will contradict that law and be illegal until you repeal GAR#286.

You should probably take criticism with a little more grace, as acting like this makes people reluctant to work with you on this draft.

Wave on, wave on

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:52 am

Legolannd wrote:
Outboundstagnate wrote:
(OOC) Defining a fetus as a human is philosophy. Keep your philosophy to yourself and give us facts.

A Fetus is a human. it's a living, breathing human being.

By definition fetuses are incapable of breathing independently. <.>
Also hell has more chance to freeze over than this ever passing.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:47 am

As it stands, the Federation is opposed. This is not to say that we consider abortion to be a trivial matter, but we recognize that in some cases it is a decision that must be made for medical, and on rare occasion moral, reasons. Attempts to limit access have the potential to harm those who may be in situations that were not of their own volition, and with Resolution 286 in effect individuals who fall under that category have access to the procedure.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 pm

"I don't know if you've passed a biology course in your life, but if you did, I imagine your teacher ought to be ashamed for letting you pass. Human fetuses famously do no breathe, because they're surrounded by amniotic fluid, not air, while inside the womb. They get their oxygen through the umbilical chord straight into their bloodstream, so they have no need to breathe, either. This can be sometimes done artificially for grown-up humans, too, when they undergo operations in the lungs or nearby areas, where the movement of the lungs would be damaging. In such cases their blood is oxygenated by a machine and they do not breathe, just like what's normal for fetuses."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Gekkeom
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Gekkeom » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:41 pm

Humans shall have choice to abort or not to. We shall have free choice.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Legolannd wrote:hahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the funniest thing. Net boom, are you kdding me? Oh god. Oh, and insult me, that's gonna get your point across.

Out of Character:

Look, buddy, as a matter of personal opinion, in real life I oppose abortion on moral grounds. It's all well and good in my opinion that you believe abortion to be murder.

But this is the World Assembly. It's a fictional, international government-like structure, and this forum is for roleplaying as ambassadors to that fictional organization.

As such, your posts here do not reflect in any way the behavior that would normally be expected of a diplomat. You're being quite rude to people trying to inform you and offer advice. You aren't seriously proposing a law or defending your proposal.

People here have already said that within the World Assembly, a passed resolution guarantees the right to abortions. You have to repeal this law to move forward with any anti-abortion legislation. If you want to take up that cause, as many other pro life World Assembly members have done in the past, go ahead, but whatever you are doing here, this ain't the way to go about that.

How about let's start over, shall we?
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:33 pm

(OOC: Couldn't resist.)
Ambassador Holly Dyer entered the room, carrying a copy of the draft proposal in one hand, a lighter in the other. She eyed any others present and rather bluntly exclaimed "Right. I don't particularly feel like doing the niceties today, so here we go. Which one of you wrote this (waving the copy around in the direction of people's faces to be clear) drivel of a proposal. You can all see what I think of it!" and proceeded to grab the lighter, set the copy on fire, scrunch it up and toss it towards the nearest wastebasket, it being of no consequence if it actually landed in it or not. After the dramatic pause-for-effect was over, she resumed speaking "So, it'd be nice to know which one of you needs to be taught about how the personal (often religious) beliefs of one person override the autonomy and control that I have over my own body. Oh, and if you're religious don't waste your time bringing up your holy book of choice. It's neither binding on me nor do I particularly care what it says."
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:20 pm

New Mushroom Kingdom wrote:"So, it'd be nice to know which one of you needs to be taught about how the personal (often religious) beliefs of one person override the autonomy and control that I have over my own body. Oh, and if you're religious don't waste your time bringing up your holy book of choice. It's neither binding on me nor do I particularly care what it says."

Linda pointed towards the offending author. "There's your target. Just remember that proper violence is usually prevented by the Nullifiers. But tossing him out of a window is just fine."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 am

Legolannd wrote:hahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the funniest thing. Net boom, are you kdding me? Oh god. Oh, and insult me, that's gonna get your point across.

"Boon. Not boom, ambassador. Two very different, if extraordinarily simple, words. And it is true, as allowing, and even subsidizing fully, abortions reduces the overall stress on young women who are pregnant before being able to afford it, which keeps them off social welfare programs and allows them to pursue careers and education with more resource. This drives up their spending and earnings in the long run, giving more taxable income and driving the economy.

"Conversely, a woman forced to care for offspring before financial viability statistically draws more from welfare, earns and spends less, and produces less successful offspring, which has the same effect on them. By permitting free abortion on demand, overall welfare costs are lowered and economic productivity is increased."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Dreadton
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dreadton » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:48 am

The under-ambassador for the nation of Dreadton looks up from his crossword and key’s his microphone, “No.”
Just a Shameless Nobody.

All post are representations of the policy and opinions of the nation of Dreadton and not official TNP policy, unless specifically noted

Legolannd
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Legolannd » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 am

New Mushroom Kingdom wrote:(OOC: Couldn't resist.)
Ambassador Holly Dyer entered the room, carrying a copy of the draft proposal in one hand, a lighter in the other. She eyed any others present and rather bluntly exclaimed "Right. I don't particularly feel like doing the niceties today, so here we go. Which one of you wrote this (waving the copy around in the direction of people's faces to be clear) drivel of a proposal. You can all see what I think of it!" and proceeded to grab the lighter, set the copy on fire, scrunch it up and toss it towards the nearest wastebasket, it being of no consequence if it actually landed in it or not. After the dramatic pause-for-effect was over, she resumed speaking "So, it'd be nice to know which one of you needs to be taught about how the personal (often religious) beliefs of one person override the autonomy and control that I have over my own body. Oh, and if you're religious don't waste your time bringing up your holy book of choice. It's neither binding on me nor do I particularly care what it says."

Guards walk into the room and throw her to the ground. President Technic waves a hand. "Eh." The guards remove her.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:14 am

Legolannd wrote:
New Mushroom Kingdom wrote:(OOC: Couldn't resist.)

Guards walk into the room and throw her to the ground. President Technic waves a hand. "Eh." The guards remove her.

Welp. You are now charged with godmodding in flagrante delicto and subject to auto-defenestration of your entire delegation. I suggest utilising the nearest WA approved drycleaner.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:46 am

This thread has gone about as far as it was ever going to go. Locked before it devolves further into NSG-talk and minor godmodding.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly