NATION

PASSWORD

ASEAN Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

(To my ASEAN buddies) Where are y'all from/what country are you currently staying in?

Indonesia
35%
Thailand
4%
Singapore
11%
Malaysia
10%
Philippines
28%
Vietnam
6%
Laos
1%
Brunei
3%
Cambodia
2%
Burma/Myanmar
2%

Total votes : 112

Emperio Maharlika
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

ASEAN Discussion Thread

Postby Emperio Maharlika » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:53 am

Hey guys, its the nation that started the Philippine Discussion Thread almost 4 years ago.
Again, title says it all.

I think that now that 2020's really this tumultuous (Corona-chan spreading her love, Duterte's antics, various natural disasters), while scaring us or even disillusioning some of us at the very least, hopefully this can be a thread where ASEAN NSers (and NSers from others regions too!) can interact with each other and have some fun talking about their own experiences from their own countries that they call home.

Enjoy!
BALITANG MAKABAYAN: Ayala Diversified celebrates 234th anniversary, remains oldest and largest conglomerate in PH  ||  Punong: (Zóbel de Ayala family) aided state development of PH, helped rebuild Mindanao post-2050 Civil War  ||  Chairman of Ayala Diversified: 'We deliver results', alludes to role of conglomerates in economic growth || 1 USD=12.46PHP ||

The Seventh Republic of the Philippines
Oligarchy | PMT | Cyberprep
yeah you guessed it we took the name inspiration from france and then we said why not try developing a filipino chaebol system + some neoliberal economics, a dash of mUh AsiAn CoMmuTiNAiRan ValYOOs (good ol authoritarianism) & haha screw it another jab at how the marcos dynasty just wont GO AWAY

i don’t live in the Philippines although my factbooks tell you otherwise

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:58 am

From Burma, now in Singapore. Somehow... Despite the geographical factors of Burma being nearer to China, I have not heard of a lot of cases in Burma, as compared to Singapore.

One could say tourism factor in Singapore, but I will say that it's mostly because Burma doesn't really go too strict with the disease / virus measures.

Either thought is a terrifying one to me, because I'm really hoping for this whole thing to blow over, and it doesn't help that Singaporeans are stereotypically (and mostly true) paranoid beyond belief - Buying in excessive bulk, and to the point of making their own sanitisers... The hell?
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:58 am

Here's something the poll limit of 10 is actually right for. I did not vote though.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Coryanhafflaruda
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Coryanhafflaruda » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:02 am

I'm from Philiphines here, it's amazing to see a lot of NS users being Filipino's nowadays
BIG THINGS ARE COMING

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:45 am

Valentine Z wrote:From Burma, now in Singapore. Somehow... Despite the geographical factors of Burma being nearer to China, I have not heard of a lot of cases in Burma, as compared to Singapore.

One could say tourism factor in Singapore, but I will say that it's mostly because Burma doesn't really go too strict with the disease / virus measures.

Either thought is a terrifying one to me, because I'm really hoping for this whole thing to blow over, and it doesn't help that Singaporeans are stereotypically (and mostly true) paranoid beyond belief - Buying in excessive bulk, and to the point of making their own sanitisers... The hell?

That reminded me of a story from my friends' brother who lives in Singapore – the supermarket he visited are nearly empty of basic food needs, except a full rack of "Wuhan Dry Noodles" that were hilariously left untouched. Does it really feel apocalyptic there?
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:48 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Here's something the poll limit of 10 is actually right for. I did not vote though.

(Cries in East Timorese)

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:49 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:From Burma, now in Singapore. Somehow... Despite the geographical factors of Burma being nearer to China, I have not heard of a lot of cases in Burma, as compared to Singapore.

That reminded me of a story from my friends' brother who lives in Singapore – the supermarket he visited are nearly empty of basic food needs, except a full rack of "Wuhan Dry Noodles" that were hilariously left untouched. Does it really feel apocalyptic there?

Oh yeah, without a doubt! So... let me give you one example! ><

Our neighborhood has a local supermarket. It is more like a general store, but bigger. On an average day, you have a good 20-40 bags of rice there, right? Along with many other stocks and stuff. Then last week, my family and I went out to stock up a little - not too much, mind you, but just as a knee-jerk reaction to supply for a good 1-2 weeks - and ALL the bags of rice are gone! Only left with the types of rice that people don't usually eat, or any other miscellaneous stuff.

Same thing applies for sanitizers and soap like I said. People in long queues buying everything they can.

This is not a flipping zombie apocalypse, guys! You can still buy within your means and maybe just stock up 3-4 bottles of soap, not bloody 20!

People in Burma are still very, very relaxed. I'm not sure of the exact situation, but the Burmese don't seem to be in any indication of an elevated danger, which is weird given the geographical factor as I have said earlier.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Toishima
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Toishima » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:50 am

Yes. The recent hoarding trend was increasingly annoying and stupid, though as of recent trips to the supermarket (at least in my area) this hoarding of necessities seems to have abated. People are still buying a fuckton of facemasks though.
Call me Aki. My primary RP nation is Yamatai in Ordis. We are an MT region with an exciting constructed world. Join us. (Non Ordis version of Yamatai here)
GOKIGENYOU~
Singaporean Chinese Weeb who likes food, Japan, food, J-Pop, military stuff and Japanese food.
Ex military. Female. Otaku. Idol Wota. Physically incapable of writing posts shorter than 1,000 words.
This user supports the use of mechs, mecha and other legged machines in PMT and FT settings, and will use them.
Record word count for a single unbroken writing session: 27,154 words
Current flag is my Kami Oshi, Sato Masaki (Info here!).

Emperio Maharlika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Emperio Maharlika » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:51 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Here's something the poll limit of 10 is actually right for. I did not vote though.

(Cries in East Timorese)

> tfw observer state
BALITANG MAKABAYAN: Ayala Diversified celebrates 234th anniversary, remains oldest and largest conglomerate in PH  ||  Punong: (Zóbel de Ayala family) aided state development of PH, helped rebuild Mindanao post-2050 Civil War  ||  Chairman of Ayala Diversified: 'We deliver results', alludes to role of conglomerates in economic growth || 1 USD=12.46PHP ||

yeah you guessed it we took the name inspiration from france and then we said why not try developing a filipino chaebol system + some neoliberal economics, a dash of mUh AsiAn CoMmuTiNAiRan ValYOOs (good ol authoritarianism) & haha screw it another jab at how the marcos dynasty just wont GO AWAY

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:52 am

Toishima wrote:Yes. The recent hoarding trend was increasingly annoying and stupid, though as of recent trips to the supermarket (at least in my area) this hoarding of necessities seems to have abated. People are still buying a fuckton of facemasks though.

Someone tried to buy > 800 kg of food online from Red Mart...

I hope you don't mind or this doesn't veer into off-topic for this thread. I know there's a separate virus thread, but just want to say it out here too, given the ASEAN context. ^^;

Thailand also seems to be hit with it, like many others.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Emperio Maharlika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Emperio Maharlika » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:55 am

Singapore being a dense country with huge tourist flows makes it all too easy for nCov-19 to spread.
I predict that it'll be a long while before it blows over. Think 18 months.

Anyway, speaking of corona-chan, how's the situation for the rest of ASEAN?

New Cassadland
Attaché

Founded: Dec 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cassadland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:01 am

Greetings to you all from indonesia,and indonesia is doing fine with corona - chan although there was some students in wuhan...
Last edited by New Cassadland on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello There...
our leader name was Dr.Polar.He was a polar bear with a moustache wearing trench coat with tuxedo
I challenge you
To say "Pepper pick the pepper to make a pepper soup for pepper's family" it's an cassadian tongue twister

(Note:Please telegram me if you want to say something)

LASAGNA'S...

New Cassadland
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cassadland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:04 am

And facemasks are in trend in my school right now...
Hello There...
our leader name was Dr.Polar.He was a polar bear with a moustache wearing trench coat with tuxedo
I challenge you
To say "Pepper pick the pepper to make a pepper soup for pepper's family" it's an cassadian tongue twister

LASAGNA'S...

Toishima
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Toishima » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:05 am

Honestly I'm not very concerned with the virus itself. We've done SARS before and we'll likely be able to do it again, and better. Preventive measures and such are already in place and I have faith in the government's ability to solve the virus issue. What I'm more worried about is this sort of mass hysteria and social media-fuelled panic causing trouble in society and inconveniences for other people. The above-mentioned Redmart issue is an example - Redmart is sort of like a delivery grocery store service, and trying to order 800kg of stuff from such a service is ridiculous and jams resources that others probably need more than you. Racial prejudices and tensions are appearing due to the national origin of the virus too.

The country's image overseas is being damaged by this sort of behaviour too, as exemplified by this very thread!

EDIT: Though perhaps I'll stop discussing this here - as mentioned there is apparently a Corona Thread (though I didn't know since I rarely use NSG); I do not intend to derail this thread into Corona II.
Last edited by Toishima on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Aki. My primary RP nation is Yamatai in Ordis. We are an MT region with an exciting constructed world. Join us. (Non Ordis version of Yamatai here)
GOKIGENYOU~
Singaporean Chinese Weeb who likes food, Japan, food, J-Pop, military stuff and Japanese food.
Ex military. Female. Otaku. Idol Wota. Physically incapable of writing posts shorter than 1,000 words.
This user supports the use of mechs, mecha and other legged machines in PMT and FT settings, and will use them.
Record word count for a single unbroken writing session: 27,154 words
Current flag is my Kami Oshi, Sato Masaki (Info here!).

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:10 am

Luckily, so far Indonesia has 0 confirmed cases, thank goodness. Clearly this is because of the authorities who are dilligent and vigilant in mitigating the virus.

Of course, then Harvard have this to say:
A study by researchers at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health suggested that Indonesia should have confirmed cases of the viral outbreak already, considering the high air-travel volume from Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak in China, to the country.

And
Companies should expect supply chain disruptions in countries with few or no cases, and consider canceling meetings and conferences throughout Southeast Asia, said Sofia Nazalya, an Asia analyst at global risk advisory firm Verisk Maplecroft. The company puts Indonesia and Cambodia in the “extreme risk” category based on its ability to respond to a pandemic.

“We expect that existing coronavirus cases in Indonesia are currently going undetected,” Nazalya said. “Close travel links between Indonesia and China as well as other neighboring countries where cases have been reported, and the highly infectious nature of the virus, make the chance of zero-infection remote.”

While the New York Times said:
Experts find it astonishing that Indonesia has yet to announce a case despite hosting some 5,000 Chinese tourists a day in Bali before halting flights last week.

For now, Indonesia's WHO respresentative have asserted that the govt is doing sufficient efforts to stop transmission into Indonesian territories because, considering the readiness of our healthcare and security system, we'll be screwed. Wish us luck :D

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Emperio Maharlika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Emperio Maharlika » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 am

Direct discussion on corona-matters aside then, correct me if i'm wrong but economically, I believe that the regional economy may be quite hard-hit in the 2020s due to rising economic nationalism globally.
Say what would you will about China but due to the trade war and yes, the recent NCov-19, its economy may take a hard hit. And knowing that most if not all of the members of ASEAN depend a lot on China as a trading partner... yeah.

Not even two months in and this possibility stands on the horizon. gotta love 2020 for me.
Last edited by Emperio Maharlika on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:19 am

Emperio Maharlika wrote:Duterte's antics

Ah, yeah, how's he going? ASEAN desperately needs unity if we are to fend off "northern threats" from the South China Sea. With Vietnam sitting as chairman, it looks like we're gonna have a great shot. So Duterte dumping the VFA defense agreement with the US seemed like a dumb move.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:20 am

Yeah, that too is a worry. The virus thing aside, it also has a consequential follow-up where the business and economic outputs are sort of slowing down. It's not a complete halt, but I feel like a good and no-longer-negligible percentage of businesses are working either on a skeleton crew, or has too many leaves and absentees.

The tourism industry is also affected for Singapore, from what I heard.

----

All these Corona Virus aside... I hope that we will pull through this one! The Burmese politics, on the other hand, are the same old, same old. I really wish and hope that they would come to their senses and stop killing or genociding.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

New Cassadland
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cassadland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:25 am

Valentine Z wrote:Yeah, that too is a worry. The virus thing aside, it also has a consequential follow-up where the business and economic outputs are sort of slowing down. It's not a complete halt, but I feel like a good and no-longer-negligible percentage of businesses are working either on a skeleton crew, or has too many leaves and absentees.

The tourism industry is also affected for Singapore, from what I heard.

----

All these Corona Virus aside... I hope that we will pull through this one! The Burmese politics, on the other hand, are the same old, same old. I really wish and hope that they would come to their senses and stop killing or genociding.

I haven't heard burma for a long time,they are a shy country
Hello There...
I challenge you

LASAGNA'S...

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 am

New Cassadland wrote:I haven't heard burma for a long time,they are a shy country

We usually keep it to ourselves for the most parts, not too big on the international ground, perhaps apart from Aung San Suu Kyi. Other than that... yeah, this genocidal bullshit is something I hope to see it put to an end!

Everyone is concerned at this point, but the military is not giving a damn... Worrying.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Somehow Related to Rarity
Attaché

Founded: Dec 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:44 am

Whoa. My parents are frm Myanmar but I'm singaporean
And if you're asking my parents are Karens.
No, not THAT Karen, the Karen tribe.
Last edited by Somehow Related to Rarity on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twicetagram and JYPE's puppet and crackhead nation

Here to make everyone eat kids

ICly The Ponyvillian Separatists of Twicetagrien Canterlotine Territories(PSTCT)

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:46 am

Emperio Maharlika wrote:Direct discussion on corona-matters aside then, correct me if i'm wrong but economically, I believe that the regional economy may be quite hard-hit in the 2020s due to rising economic nationalism globally.
Say what would you will about China but due to the trade war and yes, the recent NCov-19, its economy may take a hard hit. And knowing that most if not all of the members of ASEAN depend a lot on China as a trading partner... yeah.

Not even two months in and this possibility stands on the horizon. gotta love 2020 for me.

A double kicker. Jokowi's government have maintained close relationship with China to kickstart infrastructure and economic growth, something exploited tirelessly by the racist Islamist-aligned opposition. There's even an "omnibus law" in the making, aimed to increase foreign investment, where the central government would seize many control over provinces' rights of investment permits and labor rights. Chinese slowdown will be horrendous.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:46 am

Somehow Related to Rarity wrote:Whoa. My parents are frm Myanmar but I'm singaporean

Gasp, goodness gracious! So nice to meet you, haha! :D

Yeah, I know about the Karen tribe. I'm just so... so happy because it's rare to see another Burmese or Myanmarnese (a broader term for all demographics, not just for Yangon / Barma people) here on NS.

Hope you are doing fine! ^^
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Somehow Related to Rarity
Attaché

Founded: Dec 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Somehow Related to Rarity » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:55 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Somehow Related to Rarity wrote:Whoa. My parents are frm Myanmar but I'm singaporean

Gasp, goodness gracious! So nice to meet you, haha! :D

Yeah, I know about the Karen tribe. I'm just so... so happy because it's rare to see another Burmese or Myanmarnese (a broader term for all demographics, not just for Yangon / Barma people) here on NS.

Hope you are doing fine! ^^

Doing fine yo
Twicetagram and JYPE's puppet and crackhead nation

Here to make everyone eat kids

ICly The Ponyvillian Separatists of Twicetagrien Canterlotine Territories(PSTCT)

Emperio Maharlika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Emperio Maharlika » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 am

Emperio Maharlika wrote:snip

A double kicker. Jokowi's government have maintained close relationship with China to kickstart infrastructure and economic growth, something exploited tirelessly by the racist Islamist-aligned opposition. There's even an "omnibus law" in the making, aimed to increase foreign investment, where the central government would seize many control over provinces' rights of investment permits and labor rights. Chinese slowdown will be horrendous.

Well hopefully a potential economic slowdown in Indonesia won't create results as bad as '98 during the AFC. Learning about the resulting public unrest terrified me.

Region of Dwipantara wrote:Ah, yeah, how's he going? ASEAN desperately needs unity if we are to fend off "northern threats" from the South China Sea. With Vietnam sitting as chairman, it looks like we're gonna have a great shot. So Duterte dumping the VFA defense agreement with the US seemed like a dumb move.

At this point the Philippines is just waiting for his term to end in 2022. That is, if he's willing to end his 6-year term.

Valentine Z wrote:Gasp, goodness gracious! So nice to meet you, haha! :D

side note that emoticon looks like a virus

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General