NATION

PASSWORD

Super Specific Search Problem? or CONSPIRACY?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Super Specific Search Problem? or CONSPIRACY?

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am

When I try to search the Got Issues? forum for the term bird lady I invariably get a blank page. This does not happen with any other search term or in any other sub-forum. bird lady returns a list of posts in the General Assembly forum; searches for single words, multiple words, or even two four letter words (e.g. crap load) in Got Issues? work just fine. It is only this one search term, in this one subforum, that does not return any results, either directly from the search box or via the advanced search page.

This happens in both Chrome and Firefox. It happens whether I am logged in as this nation, another nation, or not logged in at all.

WHAT IS RANSIUM HIDING?????????

And yeah, if nobody else can reproduce this problem I'm gonna be embarrassed and furious.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:And yeah, if nobody else can reproduce this problem I'm gonna be embarrassed and furious.

While I'm extremely curious how this particular search exception was discovered, I'll verify that it is the same for me as well. "Bird Lady" on Gameplay forums? No problem. "Bard Lady" or "Bird Laddy" on Got Issues? No problem. "Bird Lady" on Got Issues? Blank page.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:24 am

This is really odd. It isn't no search results, it is a literal blank page. Slightly changing the search also makes it work (Birds lady, or bird lad both work).

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:37 am

The most logical cause for something like this is there there are too many search hits and it's causing the server to lag. Which seems improbable. I didn't think we had that many issues mentioning the Bird Lady and I've done searches that gave more results.

Incidentally though I've also just done a Got Issues? search for "Bird Lady" and it worked fine (18 matches).

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:26 am

| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

Aikoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aikoland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Harmonic Empire wrote:

The screenshot you posted is a forum-wide search for 'bird lady', not just on the Got Issues forum.

If you search 'bird lady' on GI, this is what shows up, at least on my end:

And this was after like 20-30 seconds of loading, which is unusual but the search is sometimes slow considering how many posts there are.
♥ L'Empire d'Aikoland ♥
Trois États, Une Impératrice
Official Flag|Factbook|Q&A
The middle character in my flag is a boy
A small Francophone nation located on a group of islands to the south of France. Primary territory of the nation consists of three main islands, the states as described in our national motto, along with smaller less populated islands surrounding them.
Official Nation Name: The Empire of Aikoland
Government Type: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
Head of State: Empress Élisabeth IV
Head of Government: Prime Minister Mélodie Bélanger
Population: 6.07 million (2023 estimate)
Official Language: French
Current Year: 2023

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Aikoland wrote:
Harmonic Empire wrote:

The screenshot you posted is a forum-wide search for 'bird lady', not just on the Got Issues forum.

If you search 'bird lady' on GI, this is what shows up, at least on my end:

And this was after like 20-30 seconds of loading, which is unusual but the search is sometimes slow considering how many posts there are.

| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:08 pm

I'd just like to say I am also having this problem. Perhaps we should collate which brower everyone is using? I'm on Firefox with Windows 10.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

The Gipper
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Gipper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm

This has been a thing for years, if you post on the forums often enough it will be a real pain. You find ways to work around it. Often if looking for a thread it is best to choose search first post search only, as that increases the odds of getting results a lot. Also I have had a lot more luck limiting to certain categories (like Gameplay, Security Council, & WA Archives for instance)

Also, confusingly being less specific can sometimes help: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=400316
Reploid Productions wrote:What you're searching for also can jam up the works. If your search is for a very common word it can time out your search query because there are a bajillion results to pull up. When you get a white screen, odds are you need to find a way to narrow your search parameters down to be more specific.

It doesn't seem to be very consistent, and I'm often surprised at what hangs it up. I wish they could fix it.

Tatarica
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tatarica » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Just do an advanced search and change "return first" to less than 300 characters.

This, for example, will not work. (300 characters)
search.php?keywords=bird+lady&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=13&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

But this, for example, will work (200 characters)
search.php?keywords=bird+lady&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=13&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=200&t=0&submit=Search

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical