NATION

PASSWORD

Grid power discussion (solar, wind, nuclear, etc.)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which power generation method do you prefer?

Coal
2%
Natural gas
2%
Nuclear (uranium fission/thorium fission/fusion)
46%
Wind
7%
Solar
16%
Hydro
9%
Geothermal
6%
Oil
1%
Other
3%
David Hasselhoff
8%

Total votes : 123

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:25 am

Hydroelectric is the most cost effective hands down. Also pumped hydroelectric is a more efficient form of energy storage than batteries. Distributed hydroelectric and small scale hydroelectric are the most used form of renewable energy after biomass.

Earth Orbit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Orbit » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:39 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Azadliq wrote:This coming week, my weather app says that it's going to be snowing almost every day and overcast on the days that it's not snowing. So, let's say I had solar panels. Do you honestly expect me to go out and buy enough batteries to store a week's worth of power? And to climb up onto my roof and shovel the snow off of the panels every day? I can't afford to buy that many batteries and I'm not about to risk falling off my roof to clean off solar panels.

Let's say my city was powered by solar panels. There are approximately 200,000 people here. So, the city would have to store a weeks worth of power for all 200,000 people, and their businesses, and government facilities, and other structures as necessary. My city can't afford to buy those batteries or to pay people to clean off the solar panels-- they can't even afford to build a shelter for the homeless.

Buying batteries to store power works for those who can afford it. But it's a solution that only works for middle and upper class folk. There needs to be a more reliable method of producing power, and in my opinion nuclear power is the way to go.

You know who can afford it? The government. Use giant lake-shaped batteries, and you're sorted. You even get free blackstart capability into the bargain.

Batteries aren't even practical on a large scale. You know that wind farm in Australia with those Tesla batteries greenies like to point to? If the wind turbines they're linked to aren't operating, those batteries "can store enough energy to power around 30,000 homes for more than an hour." An hour, for just 30,000 homes! And the array cost 90 million USD! Wind turbines cease operation quite frequently, if the winds are too low or even too high, meaning that the batteries eventually run dry and other, more traditional plants have to be brought up to cover the demand.

The US has 128.58 million households. Let's say you've somehow managed to do the impossible and convert the country over to an all-renewable grid with generating capacity equal to that of the old system. In order to deal with the inescapable issue of intermittency, you decide that the entire country needs battery backups for a full 24 hours. This isn't realistic, as I live in the Midwest and have seen wind plants down for days at a time, but it's a nice round number.

So, first we multiply 90 million by 24 hours to get the cost of powering 30,000 homes per hour. This works out to $2,160,000,000.

Now, we multiply this by 4,286 (128.58 million/30,000) to get the final cost of enough battery backups to power every household in the US for a day.

This works out to an astounding 9.25776e+12 dollars ($9,257,760,000,000), or nine trillion, two hundred fifty-seven billion, seven hundred sixty million dollars. That's not totally infeasible, on paper - the annual federal budget is more than that, although not by much. But this is before factoring in varying land costs, maintenance over time, and other long-term costs. And at the end of the day, it's only enough to provide every US home with a paltry 24 hours of backup. We aren't even including the cost of any other structures, such as strip malls, office high-rises, hospitals (these especially, people on life support don't do so hot when the power goes out), factories... the list goes on. It also doesn't account for population growth (new households) or increases in energy consumption (if everyone gets an electric car or something, that'll cause a spike.)

And saying "oh, a battery revolution is coming!" isn't a valid argument. That's been said for years now, and we're still using lithium batteries.

The Flying Hand wrote:What's the status on fusion power? I've heard it was being researched by a couple universities in US and France, but it's been fairly quiet.

We're working on it, but it's still largely a pipe dream, which is why I point to fission as our first point of investment. The issue with fusion is that it's really hard to create a stable, net-gain pocket of fusing fuel. We can create fusion reactions quite easily - in fact, you can do it in your garage with the right tools and a bit of ingenuity - but the problem comes in when you try to scale it up and have it produce significantly more power out then you put in.

The ideal fusion reactor would likely require a huge surge of power to jumpstart the reaction (superheating hydrogen fuel to fusing levels is expensive) and only require a much smaller baseline of power and fuel input over time to maintain the reaction and produce power. Unfortunately we haven't even reached this self-sustaining stage yet, let alone a point where we can extract megawatts of energy from the reaction.

The bright side to the difficulty of fusion is that it makes theoretical fusion reactors incredibly safe - if you punched a hole in the side, the reaction would be blown out like a candle, with no explosion or release of radioactive materials.
Last edited by Earth Orbit on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
A 7/0/7 10.28 civilization according to this index.
I don't usually use NS Stats.
FNS HOMEPAGE | 11/23/2170 | BREAKING: VIOLETIST ATTACKS TAKING PLACE ACROSS FEDERATION, LUNA - STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED | 11/23/2170 | FNS HOMEPAGE
Ah yes, asteroid mining techno space-capitalism. I'll be boarding the rocket immediately. - Synne Industries
...I’ve never seen one [future nations] that’s an orbital country. That’s a really unique concept and I’m a fan of it to be honest. - Cantelo
---
FACTBOOKS | OVERVIEW (PORTAL) | MILITARY | TECH PORTAL | DIPLOMACY PORTAL | FICTION PORTAL
Bored 16-y/o conservative American guy with an addiction to hard SF and the Internet.
More...

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:44 am

Earth Orbit wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
You know who can afford it? The government. Use giant lake-shaped batteries, and you're sorted. You even get free blackstart capability into the bargain.

Batteries aren't even practical on a large scale. You know that wind farm in Australia with those Tesla batteries greenies like to point to? If the wind turbines they're linked to aren't operating, those batteries "can store enough energy to power around 30,000 homes for more than an hour." An hour, for just 30,000 homes! And the array cost 90 million USD! Wind turbines cease operation quite frequently, if the winds are too low or even too high, meaning that the batteries eventually run dry and other, more traditional plants have to be brought up to cover the demand.

The US has 128.58 million households. Let's say you've somehow managed to do the impossible and convert the country over to an all-renewable grid with generating capacity equal to that of the old system. In order to deal with the inescapable issue of intermittency, you decide that the entire country needs battery backups for a full 24 hours. This isn't realistic, as I live in the Midwest and have seen wind plants down for days at a time, but it's a nice round number.

So, first we multiply 90 million by 24 hours to get the cost of powering 30,000 homes per hour. This works out to $2,160,000,000.

Now, we multiply this by 4,286 (128.58 million/30,000) to get the final cost of enough battery backups to power every household in the US for a day.

This works out to an astounding 9.25776e+12 dollars ($9,257,760,000,000), or nine trillion, two hundred fifty-seven billion, seven hundred sixty million dollars. That's not totally infeasible, on paper - the annual federal budget is more than that, although not by much. But this is before factoring in varying land costs, maintenance over time, and other long-term costs. And at the end of the day, it's only enough to provide every US home with a paltry 24 hours of backup. We aren't even including the cost of any other structures, such as strip malls, office high-rises, hospitals (these especially, people on life support don't do so hot when the power goes out), factories... the list goes on. It also doesn't account for population growth (new households) or increases in energy consumption (if everyone gets an electric car or something, that'll cause a spike.)

And saying "oh, a battery revolution is coming!" isn't a valid argument. That's been said for years now, and we're still using lithium batteries.

You seem to have failed at reading. Try again.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Earth Orbit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Orbit » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:06 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Earth Orbit wrote:

You seem to have failed at reading. Try again.

First off, "giant lake-shaped batteries" is a pretty bad way to describe pumped hydroelectric. I don't know what else you could be talking about though.

Pumped hydroelectric power is bullshit, and anyone with a basic understanding of physics can see that. It's vastly less efficient than solid-state heavy metal batteries, with an efficiency of only 80% (compared to almost 100% for Li-ion) thanks to the thermodynamics of pumping water uphill, and my research shows that most installations only store half a days worth of generating capacity.

It's also vulnerable to, I don't know, the WEATHER! Your lake battery won't do shit if it's frozen solid in the winter, a common occurrence in much of the US. Or what if there's a summer drought and the water source dries up? Not to mention that the viability of pumped hydroelectric is highly dependent on the presence of ideal geographic conditions and often requires significant defacement of the surrounding environment.

Also, Google says batteries now have a lower cost per MWh than pumped hydroelectric. ($187/MWh compared to $200-260/MWh, without subsidies.) So my 9 trillion dollar battery backups would actually cost less than somehow using pumped hydroelectric to store the same amount of power consistently.
A 7/0/7 10.28 civilization according to this index.
I don't usually use NS Stats.
FNS HOMEPAGE | 11/23/2170 | BREAKING: VIOLETIST ATTACKS TAKING PLACE ACROSS FEDERATION, LUNA - STATE OF NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED | 11/23/2170 | FNS HOMEPAGE
Ah yes, asteroid mining techno space-capitalism. I'll be boarding the rocket immediately. - Synne Industries
...I’ve never seen one [future nations] that’s an orbital country. That’s a really unique concept and I’m a fan of it to be honest. - Cantelo
---
FACTBOOKS | OVERVIEW (PORTAL) | MILITARY | TECH PORTAL | DIPLOMACY PORTAL | FICTION PORTAL
Bored 16-y/o conservative American guy with an addiction to hard SF and the Internet.
More...

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 am

Earth Orbit wrote:

First off, "giant lake-shaped batteries" is a pretty bad way to describe pumped hydroelectric. I don't know what else you could be talking about though.

Pumped hydroelectric power is bullshit, and anyone with a basic understanding of physics can see that. It's vastly less efficient than solid-state heavy metal batteries, with an efficiency of only 80% (compared to almost 100% for Li-ion) thanks to the thermodynamics of pumping water uphill, and my research shows that most installations only store half a days worth of generating capacity.

This doesn't matter: it's utterly trivial to build lots of them, and to have mountains of surplus energy production when you're storing it.

It's also vulnerable to, I don't know, the WEATHER! Your lake battery won't do shit if it's frozen solid in the winter, a common occurrence in much of the US.

There are zero sizable bodies of water in the US that freeze entirely during the winter.

Or what if there's a summer drought and the water source dries up?

It's a closed loop.

Not to mention that the viability of pumped hydroelectric is highly dependent on the presence of ideal geographic conditions and often requires significant defacement of the surrounding environment.

Not really: Dinorweg is still lovely, and you can always replace the mountain with a mineshaft.

Also, Google says batteries now have a lower cost per MWh than pumped hydroelectric. ($187/MWh compared to $200-260/MWh, without subsidies.) So my 9 trillion dollar battery backups would actually cost less than somehow using pumped hydroelectric to store the same amount of power consistently.

Sure, if you entirely ignore scaling costs.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:29 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Hydroelectric is the most cost effective hands down. Also pumped hydroelectric is a more efficient form of energy storage than batteries. Distributed hydroelectric and small scale hydroelectric are the most used form of renewable energy after biomass.

The only problem is that quite a lot of places are not suitable for hydroelectric.

Actually, there is also the issue of entire villages or towns having to be abandoned because they lie in the area that will form the new reservoir.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Azadliq
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azadliq » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:Hydroelectric is the most cost effective hands down. Also pumped hydroelectric is a more efficient form of energy storage than batteries. Distributed hydroelectric and small scale hydroelectric are the most used form of renewable energy after biomass.

The only problem is that quite a lot of places are not suitable for hydroelectric.

Actually, there is also the issue of entire villages or towns having to be abandoned because they lie in the area that will form the new reservoir.

I mean, you can always rebuild a village or town somewhere else. To me that's a nonissue. But you are right in that a lot of places just don't have enough water, or large enough rivers, to make hydroelectric power an effective solution. You also have to contend with rivers drying up or only substantially flowing seasonally.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:13 am

There cannot be one energy source for everything. It is a fallacy. Just as we cannot always use batteries for storage. Mapping which form of energy is the best one to use in a given area needs to done. Where is it best to place hydro, geothermal, solar, or wind.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:15 am

UniversalCommons wrote:There cannot be one energy source for everything. It is a fallacy. Just as we cannot always use batteries for storage. Mapping which form of energy is the best one to use in a given area needs to done. Where is it best to place hydro, geothermal, solar, or wind.

But that would make sense.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:18 am

It is terrible to be accused of being rational. We must be self contradictory. In addition to batteries, there is pumped hydro, flywheel energy storage, and compressed air storage. Batteries are only one answer.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:12 am

UniversalCommons wrote:There cannot be one energy source for everything. It is a fallacy. Just as we cannot always use batteries for storage. Mapping which form of energy is the best one to use in a given area needs to done. Where is it best to place hydro, geothermal, solar, or wind.

Although I agree, why did you exclude nuclear? (Although it works most places).
Also each area might not be best with only one.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:59 pm

I exclude nuclear because it does not match up with a distributed energy grid where people put power back into the grid. Smart grids are built around distributed energy systems. People cannot own their own nuclear power plants. They can build their own wind towers, put in solar panels, install biogas, even put in small hydroelectric turbines. In effect, a distributed system is entrepreneurial in scope, people can choose to build energy systems where they will make money doing this.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles ... renewables

Even sources like natural gas are flexible in this sense. You can have your own natural gas turbine. Because you can own your own energy sources there is more flexibility and independence.

Nuclear also does not tie in with some of the concepts in the smart grid like energy efficiency, green buildings, and similar things. It is very much like having huge refineries that are centrally controlled. Nuclear power does not lead to energy independence. It always creates big regulatory agencies with centralized control systems through very large companies. This centralized entity is always tied in with very large government agencies as well. Nuclear creates big centralized bureaucracies.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm

People should be allowed to own their own miniture nuclear plats.
Well realistically communities.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:27 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:I exclude nuclear because it does not match up with a distributed energy grid where people put power back into the grid. Smart grids are built around distributed energy systems. People cannot own their own nuclear power plants. They can build their own wind towers, put in solar panels, install biogas, even put in small hydroelectric turbines. In effect, a distributed system is entrepreneurial in scope, people can choose to build energy systems where they will make money doing this.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles ... renewables

Even sources like natural gas are flexible in this sense. You can have your own natural gas turbine. Because you can own your own energy sources there is more flexibility and independence.

Nuclear also does not tie in with some of the concepts in the smart grid like energy efficiency, green buildings, and similar things. It is very much like having huge refineries that are centrally controlled. Nuclear power does not lead to energy independence. It always creates big regulatory agencies with centralized control systems through very large companies. This centralized entity is always tied in with very large government agencies as well. Nuclear creates big centralized bureaucracies.

You cannot have your own gas turbine unless you have a source of gas.
And cannot if you live in a small apartment in a big city. Distributed power on works in areas wit low enough population density. NYC can never have it.

Besides having your own power source you can sell back to the grid does not preclude having a baseline source. A smarty grid can and likely would need a source of stable power for at least some of the base-load.

And nuclear is the MOST efficient in terms of land and materials use per power generated.
Which is important to reduce the impact of mining and especially important in areas with a shortage of space.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Slavakino
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Slavakino » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm nuclear!!!! I'm wild
Military Titoist Republic of Slavakino
A great nation built on socialism, science & unity. Come visit us for a holiday
Australian-Serb attempting to finish in Chemical Engineering. Fanatic about weapons, science and history from 1720-2000.
Pro: Titosim, Firearms, WMD, Science, Industrialisation, Militarism, Nuclear, Federalism, Authoritarianism, Assad, Hololive Vtubers

Neutral: Unitary State, Religion, Conservativism, Abortion Laws, Renewable Energy, Democracy, Trump, Juche

Anti: LGBT, Green Politics, Fascism, Anarchism, Primitivism, Islam, ANTIFA, Totalitarianism, Libertarianism, Biden
Sakura Miko (Elite)
Inugami Korone (Yubi! Yubi!)
Kiryu Coco (Shitposting dragon)
Akai Haato (HAACHAMA)

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:31 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:I exclude nuclear because it does not match up with a distributed energy grid where people put power back into the grid. Smart grids are built around distributed energy systems.

So we don't do a distributed grid. That doesn't preclude the possibility of building a smart grid with a ton of computerization and sensors (though anyone who's too starry-eyed about those sort of developments evidently has not been reading on the latest developments in cyberwarfare, methinks).

Novus dealt with your ridiculous assertions regarding distributed power's upsides already, so I'll move on.
Nuclear also does not tie in with some of the concepts in the smart grid like energy efficiency, green buildings, and similar things.

How on earth is nuclear incompatible with energy efficiency or green buildings? What a ridiculous claim. Why can't we still build environmentally friendly buildings and use energy-efficient technology just because we're using nuclear power? And what "similar things" do you mean?
It is very much like having huge refineries that are centrally controlled.

Okay... cool?
Nuclear power does not lead to energy independence.

I'm starting to think you're just googling "grid power buzzwords" and saying "nuclear is not compatible with [fill in the blank]." How is it not compatible with energy independence? It's clearly worked for the French and been working for some time, and the same went for Japan before they shut their reactors down.
It always creates big regulatory agencies with centralized control systems through very large companies. This centralized entity is always tied in with very large government agencies as well. Nuclear creates big centralized bureaucracies.

And? Who cares? I'm fine with a big centralized bureaucracy if that's what's needed to deliver cheap, clean, safe, and abundant power to America and to the world.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:20 am

Though a fossil fuel, natural gas is by far the cleanest of the fossil fuels.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Earth Orbit wrote:

This doesn't matter: it's utterly trivial to build lots of them

Except in places where hydro just doesn't fucking work. Like, you know, utterly flat areas. Good luck with effective hydro in "literally flatter than a pancake" Kansas (barely 1km difference between its highest point and its lowest point, which are on opposite sides of the state). None of the reservoirs in Kansas seem to be more than 20m deep, and none of their associated dams were built with the purpose of power generation. Instead, they all universally seem to have been built for water supply and flood control. One would think that power generation (inb4 "I'm talking about storage, not generation", it makes no difference here) would have been cited as one of the purposes of these dams if it were viable in Kansas. Yet, we do not see that. Unless you're proposing to literally just put turbines at the base of every water tower in the nation, which is pants-on-head.

, and to have mountains of surplus energy production when you're storing it.

It's also vulnerable to, I don't know, the WEATHER! Your lake battery won't do shit if it's frozen solid in the winter, a common occurrence in much of the US.

There are zero sizable bodies of water in the US that freeze entirely during the winter.

Yet, the wider point still stands. In an ever-changing climate, it is utterly foolish to rely on power generation and storage that is fundamentally dependent on the climate. Particularly when the method in question is fundamentally limited by geography as well.

Or what if there's a summer drought and the water source dries up?

It's a closed loop.

Not to mention that the viability of pumped hydroelectric is highly dependent on the presence of ideal geographic conditions and often requires significant defacement of the surrounding environment.

Not really: Dinorweg is still lovely, and you can always replace the mountain with a mineshaft.

Except in places where there are no mountains or mineshafts with suitably non-porous rock.

Sure, if you entirely ignore scaling costs.

That's pretty much the only thing pumped hydro has going for it, tbh.
Last edited by Grenartia on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 am

Surprised to find people mostly preferring nuclear power. Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 am

UniversalCommons wrote:There cannot be one energy source for everything.

If you're talking grid scale, you're wrong. Nuclear exists, and it really only gets less economical for extremely small scale applications.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:54 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:Surprised to find people mostly preferring nuclear power. Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0.

How. How can you be so fractally wrong with that single statement?

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:54 am

American Pere Housh wrote:Though a fossil fuel, natural gas is by far the cleanest of the fossil fuels.

Cleanest of the fossil fuels.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:Surprised to find people mostly preferring nuclear power. Hiroshima and Nagasaki 2.0.

Look into the unique circumstances of said incidents before you use that as a broad brush to unjustifiably taint the entire industry.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:22 am

The New California Republic wrote:

Look into the unique circumstances of said incidents before you use that as a broad brush to unjustifiably taint the entire industry.

Well, I oppose it because of the risks. That's what I'm saying. My opinion.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:23 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Look into the unique circumstances of said incidents before you use that as a broad brush to unjustifiably taint the entire industry.

Well, I oppose it because of the risks. That's what I'm saying. My opinion.

Again I repeat what I said.

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General