NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Farewelled By-Election

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

[SUBMITTED] Farewelled By-Election

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:04 pm

Title: Farewelled By-Election

Description

Just yesterday, @@randomname_1@@ - the elected member for Upper @@animal@@ville - unfortunately died when the new hospital @@he@@ was inspecting suffered a partial collapse. Also unfortunately, the pages of the law books seem to be absent any procedures for a politician's death, clouding the sad news from trepidation from the Upper @@animal@@ville voters, who are unsure about the fate of their electorate.
Validity
Democracy, No Proportional Representation

Option 1
"Look, I know it sounds just a teeny bit corrupt, but you could personally institute an 'Interim MP', someone to act in @@his_1@@ stead - just until the next election," posits @@randomanme_2@@, a devoted supporter of your party. "It wouldn't be long - our elections are pretty regular, right? - and it would save the hassle and cost of holding an interim election. Sure, some might not be happy with your decision, but that doesn't matter. I know just the candidate..."
Validity
All
Outcome
ministers who disagree with @@leader@@ have a lot of accidents

Option 2
"HELP, HELP, I'M BEING REPRESSED!" melodramatically screams Dennis @@randomlastname@@, the opposition candidate for the seat. "Strange @@men_1@@ lying on hospital beds distributing death certificates is no basis for a system of government! Just have a by-election, the same as any other proper democratic country. No-one knows who's the next candidate the people might want, so we'll have to put it to the people to find out!"
Validity
All
Outcome
a recent flu outbreak in @@capital@@ has seen by-elections across the country

Option 3
"Ahem. Actually, I know exactly who's the next candidate the people want," states Geoff Bathington, an independent candidate famously opposed to the formation of political parties. "Me! At the last election - never mind how long ago it was - I had the next most votes, so in the event of @@his_1@@ untimely passing, I should be given the role. Plus," he drops his voice to a whisper, "I'd be happy to lend your government my vote on that bill you've been trying to pass."
Validity
All
Outcome
the early bird gets the worm but the second candidate gets the seat

Option 4
"Pffft. So @@he_1@@'s dead. That doesn't affect me!" derides @@randomname@@, who lives in the electorate of Lower @@animal@@ville. "You always forget about us Lower @@animal@@ville folks. Those toffs from Upper @@animal@@ville get all the funding, and we get squat! They can do without an MP for a little while. That'll teach them."
Validity
All
Outcome
detrimental health conditions can be a political death-sentence

Description

Just yesterday, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ - the elected member for Upper @@ANIMAL@@ville - unfortunately died when the new hospital @@HE@@ was inspecting suffered a partial collapse. Also unfortunately, the next national election is scheduled for just a few weeks time, clouding the sad news with trepidation from the Upper @@ANIMAL@@ville voters, who are unsure about what will happen to their electorate in the meantime.
Validity
Democracy, No Proportional Representation, Term Limits

Option 1
"Look, I know it sounds bad, but you could just institute an 'Interim MP', someone to act in @@HIS(1)@@ stead, just until the election," posits @@RANDOMNAME(2)@@, a long-time supporter of your party. "It wouldn't be long, just a few weeks, and it would save the hassle and cost of another election. Sure, some might not be happy with your decision, but that doesn't matter. I know just the candidate..."
Validity
All
Outcome
ministers who disagree with @@LEADER@@ have a lot of accidents

Option 2
"Whoa, hey. No need to get all autocratic there," interjects @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@, the Leader of the Opposition. "Just have a by-election, same as any other proper democratic country. Strange @@MEN(1)@@, lying on hospital beds, kicking the bucket is no basis for a system of government! Noone knows who's the next candidate the people might want, so let's just have the by-election and find out."
Validity
All
Outcome
a recent flu outbreak in @@CAPITAL@@ has seen by-elections across the country

Option 3
"Ahem. Actually, I know exactly who's the next candidate the people want," states @@RANDOMNAME(4)@@, an independent member who only narrowly lost to @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ in the last election. "Me! I was the candidate with the next most votes, so in the event of @@HIS(1)@@ untimely passing, I should be given the role."
Validity
All
Outcome
the early bird gets the worm, but the second candidate gets the seat

Option 4
"Pffft. Why do they even need an MP?" derisively asks @@RANDOMNAME(5)@@, who lives in the electorate of Lower @@ANIMAL@@ville. "Those toffs from Upper @@ANIMAL@@ville always get all the funding, and you forget about us! They can do without an MP for a couple weeks. That'll teach them."
Validity
All
Outcome
detrimental health conditions can be a political death-sentence

Description

Just yesterday, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ - the elected member for Upper @@ANIMAL@@ville - unfortunately died when the new hospital he was inspecting suffered a partial collapse. Also unfortunately, a previously scheduled national election was coming up in a few months, clouding the sad news with trepidation from the @@DEMONYM@@ public, who aren't keen for by-election mere months before another vote.
Validity
Democracy, No Proportional Representation

Option 1
"Look, I know it sounds bad, but you could just institute an 'Interim MP', someone to act in @@HIS(1)@@ stead, just until the election," posits @@RANDOMNAME(2)@@, a long-time supporter of your party. "It wouldn't be long, just a few months, and it would save the hassle and cost of another election. Sure, some might not be happy with your decision, but that doesn't matter. I know just the candidate..."
Validity
All
Outcome
ministers who disagree with @@LEADER@@ have a lot of accidents

Option 2
"Whoa, hey. No need to get all autocratic there," interjects @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@, the Leader of the Opposition. "Just have the by-election, same as we would in any other case. Strange @@MEN(1)@@, lying on hospital beds, kicking the bucket is no basis for a system of government! Noone knows who's the next candidate the people might want, so let's just have the by-election and find out."
Validity
All
Outcome

Option 3
"Ahem. Actually, I know exactly who's the next candidate the people want," states @@RANDOMNAME(4)@@, an independent member who only narrowly lost to @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ in the last election. "Me! I was the candidate with the next most votes, so in the event of @@HIS(1)@@ untimely passing, I should be given the role."
Validity
All
Outcome
candidates who lose elections watch their opponent's health intently

Option 4
"Pffft. Why do they even need an MP?" derisively asks @@RANDOMNAME(5)@@, who lives in the electorate of Lower @@ANIMAL@@ville. "Those toffs from Upper @@ANIMAL@@ville always get all the funding, and you forget about us! They can do without an MP for a couple months. That'll teach them."
Validity
All
Outcome
MPs insist they are still fit for office as they lay on their deathbeads

Title: An Untimely Resignation

Description

Last week, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, your Minister for Transport announced @@HIS(1)@@ intention to resign, following a period of ill health. Unfortunately, a previously scheduled national election was coming up in a few months, clouding the announcement with trepidation from the @@DEMONYM@@ public, who aren't keen for by-election mere months before another vote.
Validity
Democracy, possibly Term Limits

Option 1
"Look, I know it sounds bad, but you could just institute an 'Interim Minister', someone to act in @@HIS(1)@@ stead, just until the election," posits @@RANDOMNAME(2)@@, a long-time supporter of your party. "It wouldn't be long, just a few months, and it would save the hassle and cost of another election. Sure, some might not be happy with your decision, but that doesn't matter. I know just the candidate..."
Validity
All
Outcome
ministers are forced into retirement so @@LEADER@@ can pick and choose members of parliament

Option 2
"Whoa, hey. No need to get all autocratic there," interjects @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@, the Leader of the Opposition. "Just have the by-election, same as we would in any other case. Strange @@MEN(1)@@, lying on hospital beds distributing resignation letters is no basis for a system of government! Noone knows who's the next candidate the people might want, so let's just have the by-election and find out."
Validity
All
Outcome

Option 3
"Ahem. Actually, I know exactly who's the next candidate the people want," states @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@, an independent member who only narrowly lost to @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ in the last election. "Me! I was the candidate with the next most votes, so in the event of @@HIS(1)@@ untimely resignation, I should be given the role."
Validity
All
Outcome
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 am, edited 23 times in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:51 am

How bad would it be to just not have a Minister of Transport for a few months? Governments already seem highly competent at doing nothing, anyway. Or according to Wikipedia, maybe that's just the US government...

Tarchuna and Ravenna
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarchuna and Ravenna » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:55 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:Surprised we don't have any issues around ministers resigning! I searched the spoiler thread for resign - all that came up was people saying "This person should resign!".

Title: An Untimely Resignation

Description

Last week, @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, your Minister for Transport announced @@HIS(1)@@ intention to resign, following a period of ill health. Unfortunately, a previously scheduled national election was coming up in a few months, clouding the announcement with trepidation from the @@DEMONYM@@ public, who aren't keen for by-election mere months before another vote.
Validity
Democracy, possibly Term Limits

Option 1
"Look, I know it sounds bad, but you could just institute an 'Interim Minister', someone to act in @@HIS(1)@@ stead, just until the election," posits @@RANDOMNAME(2)@@, a long-time supporter of your party. "It wouldn't be long, just a few months, and it would save the hassle and cost of another election. Sure, some might not be happy with your decision, but that doesn't matter. I know just the candidate..."
Validity
All
Outcome
ministers are forced into retirement so @@LEADER@@ can pick and choose members of parliament

Option 2
"Whoa, hey. No need to get all autocratic there," interjects @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@, the Leader of the Opposition. "Just have the by-election, same as we would in any other case. Strange @@MEN(1)@@, lying on hospital beds distributing resignation letters is no basis for a system of government! Noone knows who's the next candidate the people might want, so let's just have the by-election and find out."
Validity
All
Outcome

Option 3
"Ahem. Actually, I know exactly who's the next candidate the people want," states @@RANDOMNAME(3)@@, an independent member who only narrowly lost to @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@ in the last election. "Me! I was the candidate with the next most votes, so in the event of @@HIS(1)@@ untimely resignation, I should be given the role."
Validity
All
Outcome

The first one should not lead to that outcome, and there should be another that does. However, this has potential.

(By the way, would you care to check out my issue, Draft 2 “We, the Mighty, do our Duty?”)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:12 pm

This is why democracies have deputies...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Trotterdam wrote:How bad would it be to just not have a Minister of Transport for a few months? Governments already seem highly competent at doing nothing, anyway. Or according to Wikipedia, maybe that's just the US government...

This could do as a bit of a "crazy option"... I'll consider making an option 4.

Australian rePublic wrote:This is why democracies have deputies...

The idea of this is buried somewhere in Option 1. But you've forced me to think about the base premise and I've realised that as a "Minister" it doesn't really mean anything - you can just appoint another one of the elected MPs as a minster. The question should be more about how to replace the elected member, not about how to replace the minister. I'll try to add an option 4 as well as emphasising the "member" part in the next draft.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:34 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:But you've forced me to think about the base premise and I've realised that as a "Minister" it doesn't really mean anything - you can just appoint another one of the elected MPs as a minster. The question should be more about how to replace the elected member, not about how to replace the minister. I'll try to add an option 4 as well as emphasising the "member" part in the next draft.
To be fair, the voting public may have supported a particular politician as a member of parliament in general without believing that politician to be specifically qualified to deal with matters of transport in particular.

Then again, as far as I know, ministerial positions aren't usually directly elected in most democracies to begin with. At least, I haven't seen them on the ballots where I live.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:But you've forced me to think about the base premise and I've realised that as a "Minister" it doesn't really mean anything - you can just appoint another one of the elected MPs as a minster. The question should be more about how to replace the elected member, not about how to replace the minister. I'll try to add an option 4 as well as emphasising the "member" part in the next draft.
To be fair, the voting public may have supported a particular politician as a member of parliament in general without believing that politician to be specifically qualified to deal with matters of transport in particular.

Then again, as far as I know, ministerial positions aren't usually directly elected in most democracies to begin with. At least, I haven't seen them on the ballots where I live.

Well, yeah. In the Australian system, and I suspect in most other democratic countries, what would happen is the PM would just choose another elected MP to be the "Minister for Transport", making my original premise a bit wonky. It's now a lot more about how to replace the elected MP in their status as elected MP, because someone else can always be the transport minister.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:14 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:It's now a lot more about how to replace the elected MP in their status as elected MP,
This just makes "just don't" even more of an obvious answer. There are several hundred people in Parliament, one more or less isn't going to make a huge difference.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:01 am

Usually the MP would be forced to just wait till the election to resign, whether they want to or not. It'd be better if he/she was unable to serve due to death, incarceration, dimentia, etc.
Option 1- what if the person you desire to appoint is from the opposition party?
Option 4- The consequences of having no MP go far, far, far beyond just people lying in hospital beds. Think of the poor sods who get no representation because their MP happens to be the speaker of the house. Maybe look into that. Also, lying in hospital doesn't make necasserily make you unable to serve. A person recovering from knee surgery, for example, is still able to pull out their laptop and work
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:29 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:It's now a lot more about how to replace the elected MP in their status as elected MP,
This just makes "just don't" even more of an obvious answer. There are several hundred people in Parliament, one more or less isn't going to make a huge difference.

Option 4 is exactly that.

Australian rePublic wrote:Usually the MP would be forced to just wait till the election to resign, whether they want to or not. It'd be better if he/she was unable to serve due to death, incarceration, dimentia, etc.
That's a good point, so the MP is now unfortunately deceased.

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- what if the person you desire to appoint is from the opposition party?
Then you appoint them? You are still "picking and choosing members of parliament", and nowhere in the option does it say you have to choose someone from your party.

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 4- The consequences of having no MP go far, far, far beyond just people lying in hospital beds. Think of the poor sods who get no representation because their MP happens to be the speaker of the house. Maybe look into that. Also, lying in hospital doesn't make necasserily make you unable to serve. A person recovering from knee surgery, for example, is still able to pull out their laptop and work
If you want to think of the poor sods who get no representation, don't choose option 4. The MP in question isn't a minister anymore, nor are they a Speaker or anything else important. Just an MP. And as you pointed out above, it's better if they're deceased because then there's absolutely no question of whether they can still do their jobs.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:43 pm

Having members of parliament represent specific districts would not apply in a nation with proportional representation.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:49 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Having members of parliament represent specific districts would not apply in a nation with proportional representation.

Yeah ok. I'll replace the possible Term Limits validity check with a Proportional Representation one.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:51 am

If the guy was terminally ill, they would have time to find a planned replacement. You should have him die a sudden death

Trotterdam wrote:Having members of parliament represent specific districts would not apply in a nation with proportional representation.

It actually does. Look at the UK, Australia, etc.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 am

The UK doesn't have PR.

I don't know too much about Australia, but I understand that casual vacancies are filled by nomination or recount and redistribution, as the concept of a local by-election is meaningless in whole-country PR.

Regardless, this should be an issue for nations WITHOUT proportional representation.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:25 am

Australia uses "single transferable vote", which is a compromise between proportional representation and district representation: each district has several seats, instead of just one, and those seats are allocated proportionally, but because of the relatively small number of seats per district, rounding errors over the districts accumulate to mean the overall parliament won't be as accurately proportional as under a more pure district-blind proportional representation system. Furthermore, Australia uses this system only for the upper house (Senate), and not for the lower house (House of Representatives), which still uses single-seat electoral districts which are not proportional at all.

Single transferable vote is a pretty rare system in real life. Wikipedia lists only 9 nations that use it, and some of those only use it in some provincial elections rather than nationally. Currently no NationStates issues specifically institute a policy of using single transferable vote, and there is probably no call to add one.

Visorax
Secretary

Founded: Nov 02, 2018
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Visorax » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:32 am

I don't care about the issue, but the first option's result has to be published.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:09 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Regardless, this should be an issue for nations WITHOUT proportional representation.

Sorry, brain fart. I should have put No Proportional Representation. Fixed!

Australian rePublic wrote:If the guy was terminally ill, they would have time to find a planned replacement. You should have him die a sudden death

Ok. It's now a construction accident - @@HE@@ was inspecting a new hospital.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:32 pm

Alright, bumping this (and re-doing Option 1's effect line) while I re-write the re-write of my other draft...

Any more feedback here? I feel like this is a good issue so far.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:13 pm

Dying whilst building a hospital. Ha. That's how my grandfather died. This was a significant triggerer of my dad's depression

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:52 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Dying whilst building a hospital. Ha. That's how my grandfather died. This was a significant triggerer of my dad's depression

Sorry to hear that? I tried to make it deliberately ironic that it was a hospital inspection, rather than a school or a library.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:11 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Dying whilst building a hospital. Ha. That's how my grandfather died. This was a significant triggerer of my dad's depression

Sorry to hear that? I tried to make it deliberately ironic that it was a hospital inspection, rather than a school or a library.

Meh, it's fine.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:29 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:

Irony? In the UK, one prominent politician during the early 19th century died due to being run over by a train while attending the inaugural run of its railway...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opening_o ... er_Railway
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:50 am

Bears Armed wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Sorry to hear that? I tried to make it deliberately ironic that it was a hospital inspection, rather than a school or a library.

Irony? In the UK, one prominent politician during the early 19th century died due to being run over by a train while attending the inaugural run of its railway...

I swear I've seen that fact before... Maybe in some "horrible histories" type kids book?

Also, the title has been changed to An Untimely Termination, which has a triple-meaning:
  • Termination as in dismissed from office
  • Termination as in deceased
  • Termination + timely = terminator reference, kinda

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:46 pm

bumping this back from the bottom of Page 2 for some weekend feedback. To me, this looks almost submittable (it's roughly at the point where I submitted "Introducing Altengarten?" and that's just been published...), but more opinions always help. If this drops back down to page 2 again without significant discussion, I'll probably just submit it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:12 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Irony? In the UK, one prominent politician during the early 19th century died due to being run over by a train while attending the inaugural run of its railway...

I swear I've seen that fact before... Maybe in some "horrible histories" type kids book?

Also, the title has been changed to An Untimely Termination, which has a triple-meaning:
  • Termination as in dismissed from office
  • Termination as in deceased
  • Termination + timely = terminator reference, kinda

If you need to explain your wordplays, then they're not working.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?