NATION

PASSWORD

Vegetarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What kind of vegetarian are you?

Lacto-ovo vegetarian
12%
Lacto vegetarian (Like The Allied Tribe)
6%
Ovo vegetarian
1%
Junk food vegan
5%
Whole food vegan
2%
Raw vegan
No votes
Fruitarian
No votes
Pescatarian/pollotarian/flexitarian
12%
Omnivore (not vegetarian)
62%

Total votes : 138

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Vegetarian Discussion Thread

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:22 pm

As you probably know, the amount of vegetarians (and vegans) is slightly increasing. The usual goal of a vegetarian is to help the environment and to encourage other people to quit their meat-eating ways. However, there are different kinds of vegetarians, and there are other forms of debatable types of them. Examples are pescatarians and pollotarians, who, in the opinions of most people (including me), are not vegetarians because they eat a form of meat. Also, most people tend to be omnivores, who some vegetarians greatly despise. The main problem with most vegetarians, however, is that there are people with very meat-heavy diets, who tend to be dehydrated and have weak bones, but they also forget about the environment and that animals still have feelings.

If you still have questions

What is a vegetarian?

This should not require a definition, but if you don’t know what a vegetarian is, a vegetarian is a person who does not eat ANY meat.

What are the kinds of vegetarians?
Lacto-ovo vegetarian: Vegetarian that eats eggs, dairy products, and honey.
Lacto vegetarian: Vegetarian that eats dairy products and honey.
Ovo vegetarian: Vegetarian that eats eggs and honey.
Junk food vegan: Vegan that still eats junk food (For example: Chips or Oreos)
Whole food vegan: Vegan that only eats whole food
Raw vegan: Vegan that only eats raw vegetables.
Fruitarian: Form of vegan that only eats fruits that fall from trees.
Pescatarian: Form of vegetarian that also eats fish.
Pollotarian: Form of vegetarian that also eats chicken.
Flexitarian: Form of vegetarian that eats meat occasionally.

This thread will be about what kind of vegetarian you are, why it is best for people, and if you are not, why that would be best for people.

I’ll start:

I am a lacto vegetarian, because I think that it is a way to help the environment by taking out meat, eggs, leather, and rennet, while it still has milk, honey, and cheese, which most people like to eat.

[If this needs to be locked, please tell me why]
Last edited by The Allied Tribe on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Currently retired. This nation (my first on this website) will be put to rest after 4 years on April 22.
A pacifist union located on the utopian planet Delotheaa. Nothing notable other than its longevity (as the nation has existed for over 10,000 years) and its unusual ability to repel invasions.
We are also called Deetileaa-Deluaiia.
2nd Allied Tribe War is over, The Allied Tribe repels an invasion by ATFF | The Allied Tribe officially bans Child Labor, Compulsory Organ Harvesting | The Allied Tribe states that force must be used strictly defensively, begins armed neutrality and cuts aggressive military ties with all nations

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Just saying, this probably won’t reach a second thread, but still, it would be nice to try.
Currently retired. This nation (my first on this website) will be put to rest after 4 years on April 22.
A pacifist union located on the utopian planet Delotheaa. Nothing notable other than its longevity (as the nation has existed for over 10,000 years) and its unusual ability to repel invasions.
2nd Allied Tribe War is over, The Allied Tribe repels an invasion by ATFF | The Allied Tribe officially bans Child Labor, Compulsory Organ Harvesting | The Allied Tribe states that force must be used strictly defensively, begins armed neutrality and cuts aggressive military ties with all nations

Red Roja
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Roja » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 pm

Salad? You mean what food eats to become food?
I hate conservatism. But, I REALLY FUCKING HATE LIBERALISM!!!!!!

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Red Roja wrote:Salad? You mean what food eats to become food?

Not all vegetarians need to eat salad.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Last year I did carnivore diet. It wasnt bad. But I added salat to it as well.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've had a lot of fun cooking vegan food lately. It's cut down my meat consumption considerably, which is nice.

I dunno if I'll ever go full veg, but it's definitely possible.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Only animals I eat are fish. Besides that, most of my diet consists of vegetables and rice
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:38 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Only animals I eat are fish. Besides that, most of my diet consists of vegetables and rice

That’s a pescatarian diet. Most people, including myself, don’t think that’s a vegetarian diet, but I guess that’s still close enough.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:40 pm

The Allied Tribe wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:Only animals I eat are fish. Besides that, most of my diet consists of vegetables and rice

That’s a pescatarian diet. Most people, including myself, don’t think that’s a vegetarian diet, but I guess that’s still close enough.

I don't eat anything that is definitely sentient. I have a major issue for example with eating a pig
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:54 pm

For future reference: Am currently a nonstakeholder - in the correctly-spelled context - but was a nominal and occasionally-lapsed vegetarian (now fully lapsed for 25 years) for large swathes of teenagehood on (officially) financial pretexts, although I never quite considered myself as such.
The Allied Tribe wrote:The usual goal of a vegetarian is to help the environment and to encourage other people to quit their meat-eating ways.

I was under the impression that such behaviours were more characteristic of the vegan subset.

The Allied Tribe wrote:...there are different kinds of vegetarians, and there are other forms of debatable types of them. Examples are pescatarians and pollotarians, who, in the opinions of most people (including me), are not vegetarians because they eat a form of meat.

Define "meat."

The Allied Tribe wrote:The main problem with most vegetarians, however, is that there are people with very meat-heavy diets, who tend to be dehydrated and have weak bones, but they also forget about the environment and that animals still have feelings.

Is this a problem for vegetarians inasmuch as it can be analogously said that "The main problem with most goalkeepers is that there are people who score lots of goals, who tend to have dry spells and can be injured for long periods, but they also forget that other footballers have feelings?" Or ought this to tie in with the first quote from your OP that I made?

The Allied Tribe wrote:a vegetarian is a person who does not eat ANY meat... I am a lacto vegetarian, because I think that it is a way to help the environment by taking out meat, eggs, leather

emphasis mine... With that said, how far ought vegetarians to abstain from other animal byproducts?
Last edited by Tinhampton on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Togeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Togeria » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:57 pm

So I've always been interested in Vegetarianism/Veganism. My biggest question is when it comes not eating meat or stopping yourself from eating it (if you were a previous omnivore) do you ever get past cravings for meat or is that a issue that ever comes or develops?
I love telegrams please by all means telegram me!

DEFCON LEVELS
[1] peace
2 hostilities
3engaged conflicts
4War
Maldaria- Victory
GSW-Victory
Revolution in Sharphats-Stalemates
2nd Russian civil war-indecisive
Parazal Civil War-Support wasn't active militarily
I am deeply sorry for the attacks on your nations capital, and pray for those affected by the attacks both in Paris and throughout France. As a fellow Muslim I apologize deeply and in place of those who use our religion to commit such an heinous crime. I pray for France, for Paris, and for all those affected.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Opinions on Vegan Burgers? I'm not a Vegetarian myself, but I am curious to what Vegetarians think about Vegan Burgers like the Impossible Whopper from Burger King.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:14 pm

Tinhampton wrote:For future reference: Am currently a nonstakeholder - in the correctly-spelled context - but was a nominal and occasionally-lapsed vegetarian (now fully lapsed for 25 years) for large swathes of teenagehood on (officially) financial pretexts, although I never quite considered myself as such.
The Allied Tribe wrote:The usual goal of a vegetarian is to help the environment and to encourage other people to quit their meat-eating ways.

I was under the impression that such behaviours were more characteristic of the vegan subset.

Not necessarily. Some vegetarians became vegetarians for the purpose of helping the environment, while keeping some foods that they like.

The Allied Tribe wrote:...there are different kinds of vegetarians, and there are other forms of debatable types of them. Examples are pescatarians and pollotarians, who, in the opinions of most people (including me), are not vegetarians because they eat a form of meat.

Define "meat."
Meat is any and all forms of animal flesh, including fish and poultry.

The Allied Tribe wrote:The main problem with most vegetarians, however, is that there are people with very meat-heavy diets, who tend to be dehydrated and have weak bones, but they also forget about the environment and that animals still have feelings.

Is this a problem for vegetarians inasmuch as it can be analogously said that "The main problem with most goalkeepers is that there are people who score lots of goals, who tend to have dry spells and can be injured for long periods, but they also forget that other footballers have feelings?" Or ought this to tie in with the first quote from your OP that I made?
Those two statements are different from each other. I mainly wrote that to add to the rest of the statements.

The Allied Tribe wrote:a vegetarian is a person who does not eat ANY meat... I am a lacto vegetarian, because I think that it is a way to help the environment by taking out meat, eggs, leather

emphasis mine... With that said, how far ought vegetarians to abstain from other animal byproducts?

It depends on the vegetarian. Some still use animal fur, skin and other things, while others don’t use any of those.

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Togeria wrote:So I've always been interested in Vegetarianism/Veganism. My biggest question is when it comes not eating meat or stopping yourself from eating it (if you were a previous omnivore) do you ever get past cravings for meat or is that a issue that ever comes or develops?

I have never been an omnivore. I was not always a lacto vegetarian, I was raised as a lacto-ovo vegetarian by my parents, before becoming a lacto-vegetarian.

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Allied Tribe wrote:

I don't eat anything that is definitely sentient. I have a major issue for example with eating a pig

Fish are kind of sentient.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm

I cut out red meat recently (which was tough as hell), mostly because of the significant environmental impact of industrial-grade Beef farming. That's about it for now.

The Allied Tribe
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied Tribe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Aeritai wrote:Opinions on Vegan Burgers? I'm not a Vegetarian myself, but I am curious to what Vegetarians think about Vegan Burgers like the Impossible Whopper from Burger King.

Well, it’s an improvement from the current burgers. I don’t tend to eat vegan or vegetarian burgers, but it would be nice if it spread further.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 pm

I've reduced my meat consumption quite a bit. I still eat it everyday, but not quite as much as I used to.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Aeritai wrote:Opinions on Vegan Burgers? I'm not a Vegetarian myself, but I am curious to what Vegetarians think about Vegan Burgers like the Impossible Whopper from Burger King.

The Impossible Whopper is not great, that said, I've made some vegan burgers just using Beyond Meat. It's pretty tasty, I just recommend pan frying those patties over using a grill.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

The Impossible Whopper is not great, that said, I've made some vegan burgers just using Beyond Meat. It's pretty tasty, I just recommend pan frying those patties over using a grill.

Now if in-vitro meat becomes viable, then I would love to buy those.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Now if in-vitro meat becomes viable, then I would love to buy those.

It's an exciting idea, I look forward to it forsure.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:Now if in-vitro meat becomes viable, then I would love to buy those.

I still want to eat meat, but I don't want to eat it without the guilt and all the gory stuff that comes in processing it. In-vitro is my preferred option for sure in the future.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

I still want to eat meat, but I don't want to eat it without the guilt and all the gory stuff that comes in processing it. In-vitro is my preferred option for sure in the future.

I mean, you could always search for more sustainably farmed meats and buy more poultry/seafood than beef, pork etc. I'm trying to wean myself off meat as well, but I haven't stopped completely.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:37 pm

I eat meat, but it's pretty minimal. I rarely ever eat red meat. In fact, at one point, I had cut red meat completely out of my diet. Now I occasionally eat it, but I'm very particular as to how it's fixed.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:I still want to eat meat, but I don't want to eat it without the guilt and all the gory stuff that comes in processing it. In-vitro is my preferred option for sure in the future.

I mean, you could always search for more sustainably farmed meats and buy more poultry/seafood than beef, pork etc. I'm trying to wean myself off meat as well, but I haven't stopped completely.

Sustainably produced meats is better and uses healthier livestock and sustainable production. I rarely eat seafood.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General