NATION

PASSWORD

Orange is the Sea [IC/Greater Olympus/Closed]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Yuzhou
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Orange is the Sea [IC/Greater Olympus/Closed]

Postby Yuzhou » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:37 pm

Yuram Temple
Jashnagar

Ahdram dozed in and out of focus, the cold of the cavern floor no longer capable of keeping him awake. His half-closed eyelids barely detected the glow of candlelight to the sides of his vision, and he no longer uttered soft mantras into the darkness. He had meditated here for half a day already. That time was spent, as it had been since his ascension, in contemplation.
He was searching desperately through the desert of his mind for a way out of the cloud of sorrow, despair, disillusion, and above all doubt, that hung over him. For some way to cast aside those sudden storms and bask once again in the sun of assurance.
He found nothing.

The Bas'kan had become a hermit in the caves around the Yuram temple mound, rising before the monks stirred at a time when morning was still black, and fleeing to the caves for another day of struggle against himself. He preferred those caverns such as this, which were off the beaten path and so ignored by monks and tourists alike. When a monk did come across him, either here or during his occasional walks around the temple, they had learned to largely ignore him. He was no longer needed for the function of the temple, or the faith. After the first two months, when his decline turned as drastic as it had, the elder monks had made a decision to run things with out him. Likewise, he had brushed Enri off every time they met, so the Prime Minister stopped coming.
The temple, the country, and the faith proved capable of running without him. He was a redundancy, a fact created long before he was Bas'kan.

In the beginning, Ahdram had tried.
He knew too well trying was not succeeding. All the stress of his position had weighed on him immediately upon starting. Leading a temple was difficult enough, leading a country, a people, an entire religion, was a beast beyond comprehension. Yet it wasn't just that. A dark mist had blinded his mind almost immediately. It was a familiar creature, but one he had once banished long ago. He could not be sure how it had escaped to haunt him, but his thoughts trailed back to seeing Enri again at Chanaguta — and, being honest with himself, infinitely beyond.
He took a deep breath from the cool air.
He'd have never guessed he'd be taken back decades. To the cusp of his adulthood. To the darkest of all days. Within a single instant, with the uttering of one line of news, with the descent of one staircase, his life and mind would be swept back to his lowest point and held there once again, for over half a year. Ahdram figured it was inevitable —that jewel of sorrow had always sat at the center of his heart.

In that moment, he knew for certain his old ways of running would not save him now. He was stuck, and lost again, wondering through an endless desert with no one in sight to guide him out.
He opened his eyes which reeled as they adapted to the dim. They felt heavy, raw, as he examined the wall in front of him.
Like all of the caves in the temple mound, this one was adorned with painted reliefs detailing stories of the faith. They had been carved long ago, long before there was ever a Bas'kan here. Long before it was Yuram temple, during a time it was still known as Rana. When it was but a few sleepy houses at the mouth of the Param river. Every few years, the monks came and serviced them, repainting and sharpening the lines as the tropical moisture took its payment.
This one had not seen attention in an untold number of moons.

As Ahdram examined it, the legend was clear. It was marked crudely, the only real color remaining was a few broken black lines following the outline of the figures before him. He looked upon a man, Sevar, king of the Sevra, as he raised his sword into the air. To his front, a snake lunged forward in the candlelight, sinking its eroded fangs into the warrior's ankle. Ahdram knew what came next. Sevar would bring his blade down, killing the serpent.
The monk stood up, stretching after hours of sitting motionlessly. He peered on the relief as he did. Everyone knew this tale. It was central to the Kali canon, something his own Jai school considered mostly allegorical, but that his Kali brethren considered true in some form. In fact, this was a central legend, perhaps the primary one. The story of Sevar. Many other caves, and buildings at that, had more elaborate, beautiful, and masterful depictions of this story. The worn state of this particular wall was testament to the age. Though crumbling, the more he gazed, the more he liked this version. Liked the way the snake, bulky and stretched, latched onto Sevar, who stood rigid and flat, the detail of him ground down.

He recalled the rest of the story. Sevar kills the serpent, who had plagued Sevratan, the home of the Sevra. The snake, whose name was Sorrow, collected the price for his life — a bite. Sevar, with the venom coursing through him, was awoken to the tragedies of his past. Sevratan darkened around him, and he could no longer endure the blindness of his fellow Sevra, nor let the life of their land drain where he walked.
So he decided to leave, Ahdram said to himself. Sevar, he knew, prepared a boat to sail from Sevratan, knowing he could never return once he left. During his departure, his people came to wish him farewell. The relief on the right-hand wall likely showed this, but all that remained was the sanded hull of a ship. Sevar met with the others one last time, looking into the faces of the people who had colored his life — Sina, his sister whose dignity inspired flowers and plants to grow; Moru, his greatest friend, who always stood resolutely in time of crisis; Mae, his love who had grown away from him eons ago and whose laugh in memory kept the skies clear during his nights; and the many others. After seeing into their eyes one last time, Sevar cast his sails to the wind and his boat slid softly from the beach. In that moment, Ahdram recalled, the other Sevra felt sorrow, not from the serpent's venom, but from their own hearts.

That tale, which continues further, was the inspiration for the wordless Jashnagari anthem, a melody that Ahdram hummed as he stood transfixed on the walls around him. He eventually caught himself. He picked up a candle and doused the others. Moments later he turned to leave, heading back towards the cavern opening. As he did so, he looked back again at Sevar with his sword raised. The king who, when misfortune befell him, sacrificed himself so that his family and home would not suffer. The man who accepted his pain, accepted he had lost and will lose everything important to him, accepted a bitter life, so that the ones he loved, though those who had ultimately hurt him, would remain in happiness.

It's just a story, He said aloud. A story he heard a thousand times. Dousing the candle in his hand, he moved to the blinding light of the world outside the cave.
It's just a story.

Rastan moved quickly as he made his way through the central plazas of the temple. He kept his hands together and close to his chest, greeting quickly, but amicable, each group of fellow monks as he walked past. Normally, they had learned to ignore him, casting their stares on the Bas'kan from the side. Now though, his sudden change of demeanor intrigued them. A group of young acolytes, training with push-ups against the hard stone of a dais even stopped when he zipped by, risking the rod of their master.

Yuram temple may not have had the towering height of Kauloon, nor the shining spires of Akala, but it was large. The whole complex spread over a wide area, having been expanded over many centuries — its growth only bound by the burgeoning metropolis that sprouted around it. Even now, Rastan could see the tops of sky-scrapers peeking beyond some of the lower roofs around him.
Though sprawling, Yuram was not particularly difficult to traverse. Much of the temple inside the outer walls was neatly kept, made up of grassy courtyards streaked with stone pavement. In the past, monks spent considerable time trimming the grass by hand while meditating. Now, modern lawn-mowers eased the process. The buildings which interlocked the courts like containers weren't great stone behemoths like were found at many other temples. Instead they were wooden, sizable but vertically modest, and done surprisingly in mostly Mahkeen style — a gift to the first abbot who hailed from Lambou by Rajan Yaragupta. Subsequent additions followed the theme.

As he moved from one section to the other, Rastan couldn't help but think on his predecessors as they too traveled the complex. He had seen the man who came before him, Umyathar IV, do so in the flesh. The previous Bas'kan had always looked sickly in his yellow Pamamori robes, bald and old, but he had a joviality in his eyes that was adored by the students here. Rastan thought on his namesake, Rastan I, who had ruled four hundred years ago. He could almost see the man, robbed in black, with a feathered Jash turban and sword at his side, stride across the courts with advisers and generals scurrying behind as they discussed the crusade against Sepura. He could feel Naramel I, who had lived nearly three centuries before the first Rastan, slowly move past, he and his scribes obsessing deeply over the many texts written on the faith.
He wondered if they too had ever walked among these halls with a new found purpose. If they had struggled before their rise. If they had ever any doubts at all.

Finally, Rastan came upon the central building. It was grand and composed of many broad, tiered roofs, five in total. This was to be his court, but it mostly sat empty save for a few senior monks chatting in the center. He made his way past the porch pillars when they noticed him.
"Where Baoti?" he asked.

They seemed surprised.
"He's eating a late midday meal."

"Brothers," Rastan said with a soft smile, "I would hate to disturb him but it is urgent. Would you please fetch him for me?"

The group hesitated, as if his title as Bas'kan had no weight. He could not blame them, Baoti and the other temple elders had given them all their instruction since the previous summer. They had hardly seen a functioning Bas'kan.
Finally, they came to.
"Yes, Bas'kan-araya. I'll go get him." one said. The others followed him out.

Rastan stood in the open hall. His court was masterfully designed. The ground floor was open, allowing fresh air and light to stream in. The building above it, amazingly supported by a hundred pillars, could be accessed by a few staircases. When there was a need to, such as heavy rain, the court could be closed in at the front and stairs opened, forcing people into the first raised floor. The whole thing was part building and part wooden machine.
At the center in an open spot among the pillars, sat Rastan's throne. A small but intricately carved wooden seat, where countless of Bas'kans before him had sat. Though many moved around the temple with their own personal courts and even thrones, they all sat here in the open at least once. Rastan himself had only sat in it during his coronation. He studied it, breathing in deeply the air around him, still scented by the warm wood of the floor.

After a while, he heard steps behind him and turned to see Baoti approaching. The other monks did not return with him.
"Ahdram—" Baoti was caught off.

"Rastan, or your eminence works." The Bas'kan corrected him. Baoti had known his true name, and though the monk did not mean any offense, if Rastan was to truly return, they would all need to see him by his position and not as the hermit who had hid himself away.

"Your eminence. Why have you summoned me so urgently to you?"

"Because", Rastan placed his hand gently on his wooden seat. "I will be returning from my leave of meditation."

Baoti's eyes flashed back and forth as an eyebrow raised quizzically. He let his mouth drop for only a moment.
"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Very well. I will inform the others. I must say, your eminence, that you come at an odd time. Many happenings have taken place since the start of your leave. We were just discussing, for example, the economic hardship that has befallen the world in the last month."

"Inform them, Baoti."

The monk bowed. "Very well."

Rastan watched him walk away. The Bas'kan called out and stopped him.
"One more thing," he shouted. " Call Enri to me. I have an announcement to make."
Last edited by Yuzhou on Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been previously known as Apfeldonia and Thimbyrland

Oh way down south in the land of cotton...

Water Earth Fire Air

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:17 pm

Yuram Temple
Jashnagar

"I'm glad you're in a joking mood" Enri said leaning forward. He brushed his blue robes over his legs to further hide the business slacks he wore underneath. "I mean this place was like a grave. You could have at least told me something. I mean...I've been gunning by myself and half a year later I still don't have everything streamlined to work without you."
The prime minister waved away an offer of tea from an acolyte.
"I am glad your health is returning. I am. Just, we've been put in a tough situation."

Rastan simply glared at him.

"No." Enri said. "Absolutely not."

"It's time, Enri."

"Time for what? It has been strict tradition. Imagine, if you will, the lengths we have gone to uphold it."

"It's only been tradition since photography has been invented. It's only a matter of time before someone successfully steals a glimpse. It nearly happened with Umyathar, and it cost us a lot of money to avoid. What is there to hide? Honestly. We don't gouge out eyes when people see me. The identity is always leaked, and usually in the first month." Rastan said.

Enri laughed. "Yeah, on second thought maybe this whole 'disappear and ignore duties' thing turns out better than we thought. People hardly know you exist."

"Which is exactly why we must do this. You and I both know the direction the world has been going for a long time now. We've witnessed it, unlike the younger generation. We caught the tail end of the civil war our parents fought, experienced economic boon, watched nations flutter through mindsets. Our respective roles as monk and commander has let us feel the effects of these events first hand. Here, and elsewhere. The people feel abandoned, so it is time to return to them what they are missing."

Enri sat silent, before waving back for the tea he had previously pushed away. He took a long drink.

"It is time, Enri. The world needs a Bas'kan."

It is Time
Yuram Temple, Jashnagar
February 1st, 2020

Rastan looked out over the crowd before him. It was pool of clashing colors, where countless droplets of orange, blue, yellow, white, black and many others formed from the meshing of robes and men. The audience filled the limited space of the primary courtyard like water, pushing into every niche of the surrounding buildings, clinging to walls, and peering out windows, all to get a glimpse of him.
They had been given only an hours notice and yet hundreds had arrived to hear the Bas'kan formally for the first time. Though many of the onlookers were monks from the temple, a sizable minority were civilians, allowed into the temple for the occasion, provided space allowed and they undergo a search before entry. Even now, monastic guards rounded the crowd, searching again for any weapons or recording equipment. They had many years of practice in finding even the most well-hidden objects without outright frisking attendees. The sudden and unexpected time slot hardly allowed for any nefarious plans to be made.
Many did not know what Rastan knew.

The clamor died down as everyone settled with the closing of the temple gates. Anyone who wanted to view or hear the Bas'kan in the flesh was either standing before him, or locked out. From his position above them, on a tiered stone pedestal that had been used for this purpose many times before, he had full command over the scene. He turned to the only individual standing at the top with him — a black shirted guard.
"What do you think thus far?" the Bas'kan asked.

"Perhaps an outfit more spiritual in appearance would have gifted itself better to his eminence?"

Rastan laughed. "Nonsense. This is orange. Good enough for the Avalaran. The man of today does not always connect with the robed monk from yestertime."
He checked the watch he wore on his wrist. "Looks like it is time."
Peering out, he spotted Enri standing among the crowd.
Everything turned silent.

"Brothers and sisters," Rastan began. "Fellow children of Dam and servants of Mai, I come before you today, after many months of meditative reflection with a request...and a promise. What I am to ask of you, I ask not simply to the students of Aremasa, nor to my siblings of Yam'gonra Ilo'lona Mai. I am asking neither exclusively to the righteous of other nations or those whom need correction on the path. Instead, my message is sent to all peoples of Olympus. From the lowest sinner to the highest Kahle.
To the sage who heeds this message, I ask as the least worthy among you, my siblings, for a simple thing. I ask for sacrifice, I ask for you to cultivate rasa in its greatest forms. To fulfill this request will not bring you comfort. It will not feed your children or bring you riches. It will not destroy your sorrows or smash your enemies. It will not conquer sickness, pain, or death. So why then, would you grant me my wish?
My answer is simple. Look to the person next to you. Reflect on your spouse, your children, or your parents. Think on your neighbor, or your countrymen. This sacrifice I ask of you is in fact not for me, but for them. So that they may benefit from your rasa. So that you may benefit from it. What I prostrate myself before you for is to cast aside fear, to cast aside doubt, to cast aside greed. To move yourself only in the pursuit of Mai. In short, I ask you to love without receiving love, my siblings.
Only through this sacrifice will you elevate yourself. Before you, mountains will move. Like the Sevra you will illuminate. Rajans will appear against your dignity as soiled rags.
Yet the infinite glory from this path is not won easily. There has never been a more challenging goal reached for. The layman will struggle just as the monk will to grant me this. Because when this path is walked, the world will attack you with all its might for it. It will relentlessly throw against you all its horrors to break you away from the light you emit.
I know, however, that everyone of you will, like Moru, stand with abounding strength and abundant will against these endless assaults. I know this, because I know too that the rewards are transcendent above those granted by temporal life. They will not warm you in the cold, but they will raise you. I know this, my siblings, because I know the pursuit of Mai is worth it. Because... because I have felt it."
Rastan stopped his speech for what seemed to the crowd only a brief pause to catch his breath. To him, his mind pulled back and an ocean of memory washed over it.

A stream of late summer breeze blew past him out of the west, carrying salt from the sea. He stood watching the sunset,the sky exploding into brilliant oranges and pinks as it began its slow turn to darkness. The balcony he stood on sat clothed in palms at the sides, their leaves reaching up and rustling against the stone, interrupted only by the laugh of people or the call of an iced milkman. He basked in the warmth of the air. That was when he first realized he loved it here, in Sa'pua, at his uncle's house. The old Meron colonial home clashed sharply with his birthplace in Karahana village.
"Hey Ahdram." a voice called out. He turned to see a boy in his late teens, only a year or two older than him in fact, shouting up at him from below.

"Yes?" he called back. The boy, Enri, a Pa'ea he had become friends with over the summer had proved a valuable, if serious, comrade to him in this new town.

"We're going down to the beach. Want to come with us?" The boy turned to his companion, a tall slim girl with glasses that constantly slipped off her nose. Belle, Ahdram already knew her. "You should ask your cousins to come too." Enri said to her.

All three of the children turned their attention over to a group of girls sitting just further down on some steps in the street. Belle's cousins. Ahdram had met them already, and though he had formed a different opinion on all of them, his vision focused in on one.
She sat with her back to him, giggling away at something said out of ear shot. He leaned further against the balcony railing he leaned on, studying her curly black Pa'ea hair as the sunset glistened against it. He stood there, letting his eyes drink the whole image as the sunset made a canvas around her.
Only a door opening behind him pulled his mind from that painting. He turned to see his father standing there.
"Maybe tomorrow." he called down to Enri.

"Ahdram." his father's gruff voice whispered.
"Ahdram."

"I..."
Suddenly he was back, someplace familiar but infinitely colder. A hundred people watched waiting for his next words. Not those of Ahdram Jayara, but of Rastan II.
"I have felt Mai many times throughout my life, my siblings. I have learned that it is one thing to study the words of Gana Rashin, but it is another to follow them. You must experience life to comprehend them. It is with that knowledge that I come to you with my promise. My siblings, my fellow warriors of Mai, I am the least capable among you. Within each of your hearts I know is strength a hundred fold my own. Yet, as abbot of Anomai and leader of Yam'gonra, I am duty-bound to lead by example. And so I will.
Many wonder on my choice of name, as it has surely caused much controversy. I chose to become Rastan II because like my namesake, I will not stand idly by while evil plagues the world.
I am not blind to our troubles. Just this past month, the world economy has fractured, caused by financial leaders caring only about personal profits. In distant Lira, people are being killed in war or in political turmoil. Radical ideologies spread and set root, even here in our own neighborhood. Famine, disease, and conflict characterize every corner of our world. The news is an endless swath of bleakness and pain, and the leaders of the globe sit back or otherwise create these evils. We head into a new decade in doubt and fear.
That is why, as Bas'kan, I extend my hand out to any foreign ruler who will join me in my crusade against evil. I formally invite any and all who hold power to walk with me on the path of a sage, so that the burdens of the people can be lifted in Dam.
Yet if my rally is not answered, if not a single man or woman of influence wishes to aid me, I will not falter my siblings. I will, like my namesake, fight. This will be the greatest of our crusades. And I will fight it, like a Sevra. I will lift the weight of the world upon my shoulders, for you out, of love, my siblings. Because Love will conquer sorrow. This...I know."

The crowd remained silent as Rastan finished his speech. He took a breath and stood in the sun. He could see movement from a point in the crowd. A man, standing next to Enri, quickly brought something up in front of him and aimed it at Rastan. There was a yell of panic from somewhere to the side.
In the passing of a moment, Rastan brought up one hand and gave a quick smile. There was a flash of light.
Last edited by Yuzhou on Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Water Earth Fire Air

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Sun is Shining in the Sky
Kalakaloa Ranch, O'kahle, Jashnagar
March 12th, 2020

Kashran Jiradi did not care that his old, beat-up truck broke down halfway up his long gravel driveway. Nor did he care that he had to walk in the ramping up spring weather of the tropics while wearing his YSSMF uniform. Or even that he was approaching his own house as if arriving at the office of his most desired professional prospect for the very first time. No, nothing, and he knew absolutely nothing could ruin this moment for him. A moment he was waiting nearly a decade for.
When his truck sputtered out, he had used the mirrors to trim his mustache, now salted and peppered, with a pair of office scissors. He adjusted the golden Dam symbol on the crown of his beret only with the reflected image from his windshield, and changed right there on the road out of a tattered work top into his meticulously looked after uniform, and he did it all without a single flaw. That's what an agent of YSSMF did, after all. Men like him, the eyes and ears of Yam'gonra, had to achieve perfection in the most imperfect circumstances. If you couldn't transform from hard-working rancher to head of a nation's intelligence agency within 60 seconds tops, then you didn't belong with the YSSMF. The crusades of today require banners blacker than death, and richer than life.

As he went, Jiradi could hear the familiar crunch of the gravel underneath his shiny sable spear-toed loafers. The surrounding landscape had never looked more beautiful to him except maybe for the day he bought the land he tread on.
To his left, the sapphire sea lulled seemingly still, drinking in the sky. On his right, an emerald ridge gave backdrop, rippling and cresting sharply as a tendril coming towards the coast off of Mount Lanu, acting as a distant bearer. Those mountains, he knew, held sharp black rock formed from the pulsing heart of Lanu, masked by the seeping over-saturation of growth that this place contained. Every day, on the far end of those mountains where land meets the sea, molten rock,red hot and wrought from the core of the world was brought up to the cooling waves to grow O'kahle only larger with the passage of time. Such was the work of the Raka who slept at the heart of the volcano, the same being who tasked mighty Moru, second king of Sevratan to wrench from the sea her sister islands.

He nodded to one of his hands who, resting sleepily against a palm in the yard, jolted up startled at the sight of his boss and scurried away. At that point, he had walked all the way up his driveway from the far front gate where he broke down to his front porch. The house was a large, one story, planter house in the typical local style, with broad peaked roofs and a deck that wrapped around the entire perimeter Built to withstand the tropical heat and storm, even from the front porch one could tell that air flow was of utmost concern and the whole house sat up off the grounds on stilts.
Jiradi approached the hand-crafted front door grabbed the handle, and opened. The bull of a man came out, and he slid into the far too small doorway. In that moment, he was taken back to the happiest time of his life, when he built this very same house, newly married and knowing jack-all on carpentry. Though he welded a baton more than a hammer, he wasn't special forces if he couldn't learn and learn quickly. He was brought back from his thoughts by the smell of coffee wafting down the dim hallway.

As the floorboards beneath him creaked under his weight, he could hear quiet talking coming from the parlor on the left at the far end, without getting closer, he could already pick up the thick Mahkeen accent of his wife jabbering away to two other people.
A smile broke his firm expression. He inched his way down slowly, listening in but not discerning what was being said. He passed rickety photo frames hanging from the wall, trying carefully not to bump into anything. He passed by the one table set up in the hallway — he had built that too — and took a moment to glance at the vase of orchids he had just bought his wife. Sitting beside the vase, as it had always sat for years and years, was a homespun doll, this time created by his wife for a baby girl.
It leaned dusty beneath the orchids.

Coming upon the parlor entrance, his wife stepped out towards the kitchen. Her thin, aging Mahkeen eyes flashed him a truly proud smile before she wiped off her apron and headed to fetch something. Kashran lead with a lean as he entered the doorway. His parlor was a airy room lit by several windows looking out past the porch. It included all that a proper parlor might — a bookshelf, chairs, sofa, a small writing desk, and in the corner his own eyes and ears in the form of a small desktop. That desktop had seen more classified documents than most government officials ever will.

Two people sat in the nice antique wicker chairs that matched all the other wicker furniture. One was a woman, tall and thin with her hair pulled up into a stately bun. Spectacles sat on her flat Pa'ea nose, nearly falling off if she tilted her head forward. Otherwise, she exuded a refined and dignified air immediately apparent to Kashran. The other, a man with white flowing hair and a curt mustache was someone every Jashnagari knew — the Prime Minister.

"Your eminence." Kashran said with a prompt salute.

Prime Minister Tale'va gave a soft smile, a lazy naval salute and motioned to the opposing couch.
"Sit soldier."

Kashran followed his orders and rested on the soft cushion, his vision darkened by the daylight streaming from the windows to his front. At that point, his wife return and dispensed small cups of steaming coffee resting on small saucers. This was her finest porcelain, and Kashran knew she would bring it out for this occasion.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet, general." Tale'va said. "This is my wife, Annabelle."

"Ma'am." Kashran nodded.

"What an interesting name." His wife chipped in, her pronunciation still putting a soft Lambou click after the end of words even when speaking Lorian.

"Sa'pua born and bred." Tale'va chuckled.

Mrs. Tale'va smiled, "Yes, my a maternal grandfather was Meron, and the family thought it dignified to give me an eastern name. It helped when I studied in Mèronie."

"That's how I got Enri." The Prime minister leaned back into his chair and straightened his own suit.
"General your lovely wife here has been exceptionally hospitable to us while we awaited your return."

"I apologize for having to grace yourselves with our humble abode."

"Nonsense. You have a wonderful home. Even if it was a shake, it would become a palace in dignity by hosting a Jashnagari general."

"Retired General." Kashran said. He caught out of the corner of his eye his wife flash him a huge smile as he felt her rest her hand softly on his leg. This was all he had been dreaming of for years.

Tale'va broke a smirk.
"You know why I am here, general. I didn't take an express flight from Yuram to visit a...retired YSSMF head. Fact is, the agency has grown rusty, and you can tell me things they can't even without the classification codes. General, you and I both know sitting in this room right here that our country is in a precarious situation. We need the best of the best for the upcoming crusades. They won't be a day trip to Sepura or a sail to Kavhekau. They will be a matter of life and death. I've got your commission signed and ready from the clerical council right here." he turned to his wife.

The woman reached down and pulled a black briefcase from underneath her chair and undid the silver clasps, revealing crisp white paper that contained clearly what had been described. Kashran looked at it, then at the Prime Minister, and back again.
"Then if I may, your eminence?"

"Go ahead." Tale'va motioned nebulously for whatever was meant.

Jiradi stood from the couch, adjusted himself, and then walked over to the large bookcase to his left side against the wall next to his desktop computer. He pushed the bottom with his foot and a plank suddenly appeared and unhinged. He wrapped hard with his knuckles on the side and then pushed the corner lip. The front opened up and on the inside sat a large world map, pins, a few screens, and a host of out-put and in-put devices. It was a war-room contained in a bookshelf.
He reached down and grabbed an retractable pointer and then started motioning at the map.

"Looking at the current climate," his voice boomed.
"We've got here, here, and here that are immediate military threats with past and current provocation. Here for threat without, and here and here for potential opposition in a multi-national war. We've also got three directly pressing issues from the past five months, two of which occured within 48 hours of each other. I have examined all classified and declassified intelligence on the naval movements of Fako'e in Magnostria. That, though, is just the beginning. Any Liran freshman in intelligence schooling can see those maneuvers as part of a larger operation. Anyone with a brain can see they are a warning."

Tale'va sat watching him patiently, and when he spoke, he displayed no signs of surprise.
"Then what do you suggest?"

Kashran pushed down on his pointer bringing it back to the size of a pen, before placing one hand behind his back.
"I've been thinking over this for years now. It's amazing what I can glean just from the morning newspaper, and we are talking on other nations. The media practically posts a condensed biography on any given political practitioner you could want. It becomes easy to decipher motivations. It gets even easier than that. Really, studying this right here," he tapped on the map. "is all you need. Yam'gonra sits in a particularly unique position. Alone, and beset on all sides. Ideologically, we have all but the soft democracies gunning for us, and the politics that once agreed with us are long gone. These two facts alone are our sinking ship. However, there is another who is flashing the same signal in the dark waters of the world stage."

"Really?"

Kashran paused and took a breath before continuing.
"I will re-invigorate the YSSMF. That's the job you're giving me. I will advise on issues that require intelligence gathering, and act as the sensors for our leadership. That is also the job you are giving me. But, if I may suggest your eminence, a single course of political action that may be taken that will strengthen our position. Not because it is particularly sound — no, normally it would be suicidal. But because we have no choice. We either fight with the added strength, or fight without it. Examining the mindsets and actions of the current global leadership is like watching kites blown in the wind. No one is strong enough to defend anyone but themselves. No one could possibly rise up and meet the call of his holiness to build a better world. Weak leaders are the true killers, and at this point, if our mission is to go beyond just saving Yam'gonra, then we will have to truly crusade and our only aid in that are men willing to take action, any action."

At that point, Tale'va set down his coffee cup and saucer gently, and stood. He walked over to the map and stood next to Kashran.
"Yes. Yes. Here, general."
He pointed to a random spot in the Inoran, then slid his finger across the map until it touched Ancona.

Jiradi bit his lower lip.
"The Clerical Council made the right choice, your eminence."

Enri turned, smiled, and extended his hand out.
"Welcome back to the service."

Carrara, Parthonopia
March 2020

Ambassador Sukhomin stepped out into the dusty Carrara street swiftly from the paint-chipped two-story that was serving as the Jashnagari embassy until relocation to Ancona could be achieved. His only goal was to reach his contact at the end of block before time ran out.
As he went, he dodged children on skeletal bicycles, chained dogs in the street, and even a few articles of clothing carried off from a clothesline by the breeze. It would have been something of an idyllic scene, had his nostrils not fought valiantly against the assault of olive oil and grime that formed an unholy union of scent in this terracotta colored hellhole.
He watched the sun nervously as he neared the end of the row, checking his wristwatch every minute of travel until he stood outside his destination. One last check and he gave a sigh.
Just noon, he thought. Five minutes before his contact moved locations.

He looked up and saw the time-swept sign of a bar hanging over him.
Not at all what he had been trained to work in when he studied at Naram University, but his mission was to serve the needs of his government and that unfortunately meant he had to barge in.
The whole joint was dimly lit, even at this time of day, and the cigarette smoke was louder than any yelling from the patrons. He knew the spot.
At the end of the serving desk, downing his last cup as he always did at this time, was the ambassador's contact.

"Ah, Suckoman, up bright and early!" the contact said once he noticed he had company.

Suhkomin politely smiled and chalked it up to accent as he did every time.
"Sorry to disturb you, Guiseppo, but have you received word from Ancona yet?"

"Oh that? Yeah it's not going through." the Parthonopian said as he was putting on his day jacket.

"What?! What do you mean?"

"I mean, it isn't going past the front desk."

"But it was an official communique. You said you'd get it through the diplomatic channels."

"Yeah, I tried, I failed. It's done."

"That letter was a direct message from my government. It's ridiculous enough that I can't deal with real diplomats, Guiseppo —"

The Parthonopian rubbed his nose and then cut him off.
"Look Suckoman, I'd love to be of help, but if I didn't get it through, its not going through your way. That's not how things work here, haven't for a long time. Even if you go all the way to Ancona yourself, or even to a government building here, they'd laugh your ass out. Ambassador or not. Only way I see that getting through is, and this is a lowshot, a little..." he rubbed his fingers and thumbs together.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you're gonna have to shine the fog out of someone's eyes with cold hard denari, eh?"

At this point, the Jashnagari had just about all he could stand of this backwards eastern cesspit and he resigned himself to the facts with a disdainful frown. He excused himself with the most minimal formality and then stepped out of the bar into marginally fresher air and pulled out his phone, careful to hide it from any onlookers.

"We've got a problem."

"The letter?" the voice on the other end inquired.

"Your contact can't get in through government channels. He suggested I try a bribe."

The other voice erupted into laughter.
"Yeah, well, don't be too hard on yourself. The Beoists have no morals. We figured this wouldn't work, but it was worth a shot to save some money."

"Well I'm requesting a transfer next opening I get. Maybe Gifftan."

The Ambassador stood on the line patiently for a long time in silence, tucking himself away in a cuby away from the street. Finally, the voice came back.
"Take a copy of the letter downtown to the port and meet with the Juteau Fruit rep at the docks. He's got an office seaside, I'll send you the exact address. Tell him YSSMF requests his services and hand him the letter. We'll take care of the rest."

"A Juteau rep?"

"This is going straight up, ambassador. In true Parthonopian style."

Our Dear and Joyous Friend,

I hope this letter finds you in the best of health and mind. I am writing to you this day asking humbly and sincerely for your opinion and advice. As you may know, I recently as of last month made an address to the international community requesting aid in my fight against the wrongships of the world. In that address, I called for direct action by world leadership, such as your Majesty, in alleviating the suffering of the people and persecution of the righteous. In this, I know you have labored endlessly and tirelessly for the benefit and prosperity of the Parthonopian peoples and government. That esteemed work has not been without success, and your Majesty has achieved history by bringing your nation together again.

I, however, made this call because I see that there is much more work to be done, and that there are very strong threats against the work truly spiritual leaders like yourself have completed. I have not received a single answer or response to this call, and fear it is because many leaders are too weak, too soft, and ultimately too dubious to aid me in my quest. In fact, I fear many of these same leaders are at work trying to unravel the great achievements the people of Parthonopia have enjoyed the past years. Likewise, some nations sitting at the edges of our vision are even more terrible in their desire to bring about revolution and destruction. I would deeply despair that the Parthonopian people endure a repetition of the suffering and atrocities brought upon them by other nations. Many of this nations did the same to Yam'gonra in those very same years. I see in you a like-minded ruler standing on his own strength against those who would wish to abuse, enslave, and destroy his country, and it for this reason that I reach out to your Majesty in request that you grant me insight on how I might go about attracting the attention of the global community and steadfastly buffer against those who would do us harm.

Yakayarana Mayu'sa.

His Dignity, Rastan II
Last edited by Yuzhou on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Water Earth Fire Air

Parthonopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthonopia » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Ancona
17th of March, 2020

"Yakayarana Mayu'sa." The foreign words were spoken slowly and drawn out, smothered in a thick accent, more than likely butchering the proper pronunciation.

Smoke lingered above his head, slowly filtering out the poorly insulated bay windows that spanned the center of the wall behind him. Through those windows, one could witness a panoramic view of the bay, Ancona, and the Cormor river that ran through the city and poured out into the coast. Below the window was a desk, the man who had spoken sitting there, his back to the bustling landscape view behind him. He was staring straight ahead, a cleanly folded piece of stationary paper held open in his hands, just below his eye level.

"Ahh, the Yacarena, haha! I remember that one, I know this," a brief pause, highlighted by the sound of ice cubes clinking in a glass, "the Yacarena! That was this huge Porduzi dance craze in the nineties, haha, you've heard it before..." the man drifted off before taking a sip from his cup.

The man at the desk, sitting with a stiff posture, sighed as he folded the letter he had been reading and placed it on the desk, punctuating his movements with a raised eyebrow directed at his former father-in-law. King Carlo leaned forward, placing his elbows on the desktop and resting his forehead on his hands.

Egidio, unphased by Carlo, picked right back up where he was, "you remember your cousin Sophia's wedding, yes? They played it at that one, haha. You remember, yes? 1997.. or was that '99? You know, haha."

"Yakayarana Mayu'sa," another voice chimed in, clearing their throat first while Egidio wrapped up. Leaned against the left side of Carlo's desk was Bruno Serpeggio, the glow of the screen from a smartphone lighting up his face. The hidden figure behind much of Carlo's national intelligence work and commander of all of the Parthonopian federal paramilitaries; Bruno’s expertise in subterfuge and hidden politics found him in Carlo’s office quit often.

"Yakayarana Mayu'sa," certainly another poor pronunciation, "according to the internet is a Mahkeen, Maist expression basically saying 'things are looking up', or 'Best of Luck', health and wealth."

"Well is there a link?" Egidio inquired.

Both Carlo and Bruno seemed puzzled by the question, Bruno quickly responding, "A link to what?"

Egidio, with the hand that was not holding his glass extended out, pointing in their direction, "To the song, haha!"

"In a letter?" Carlo growled at the elderly man.

"No, no!" Egidio seemed slightly offended, "on his little computer there, haha."

“No,” Carlo replied smugly, “there is no link.”

Egidio seemed disappointed, “Oh.”

Waving hands about, as if to dismiss the pop song tangent, Carlo interceded to prevent an argument with the ornery man. At first grumbling, “Besides the point. Here,” he pointedly raised up the piece of paper from his desk, “I have a letter from the leader of a preeminent local power of the Nori island region, personally addressed to me. His Dignity, Rastan II…,” he glanced over the letter once more as he read aloud the signature of its sender.

“He is like the King and their Magi over there,” Egidio inserted his insight on the situation of the governance style in Jashanagar, emphasizing his factoid by forming the hand version of a pistol with his pointer finger and thumb.

Bruno, who had been looking out the window, shrugged to the Massan Duke’s statement, “He is not wrong.”

“No, he’s not,” Carlo replied, staring straight ahead. He shook his head and questioned, “And the Nori Magi King is asking for my advice? Here, the man with the might of his nation and a church behind him, requests my assistance… Please, Egidio,” he paused for a moment, thinking to himself. He was trying to find a way to better understand what led to the meeting he was currently in. Previous attempts by Egidio to properly relay that earlier had failed, “I know you have already explained, but please, do you mind doing that again. How you received this letter, I would like you to explain it once more. I am not entirely clear.”

Carlo’s attention had been turned once more unto Egidio, who was still gleefully sitting across from him in one of the leather chairs in front of the desk. Egidio gently sipped down the last swig in his glass, the bottom of it up in the air while his head was leaned back. The melting ice inside the glass found itself nestling inside a wiry bristled, gray mustache. Egidio, the natural storyteller and life of a party that he was, was more than happy to retell the process in which the letter in Carlo’s hand had traveled to be there.

“Well, of course you remember my son Eligio’s wedding, yes? Of course you do, haha,” he exclaimed with a wave of his hand, “you remember! Yes, yes, remember, you, your boy Eduordo, hehe, had dranken a tad bit too much of half finished glasses of wine left unattended. As boys of that age do, of course, haha. What, was he 12, 13? That was 2010 of course, no, no, 2009.”

“He was ten years old in 2009, at your son’s wedding,” Carlo quietly replied, almost contemptuously.

“Haha! Yes, yes, of course, it was spring! But yes, so you do remember, heheh, how your boy he threw up all over my cousin Genevria’s waist! More than twenty-five hundred denari that trick cost me, haha! Not that the wedding wasn’t already costing me out my eyes and ears! The poor woman, she was, God rest her soul, she was already 85 back then. I believe.”

Carlo was reverting to shaking his head, looking down at his desk as he muttered quietly to himself, “Why must you do this.”

“She was two years younger than my cousin Calogero who, Beo bless him, passed away at a very young age. But yes, haha, he, Calo, he was exactly eight years and one day,” he had placed his cup down to show a finger count of the years, “ younger than my Uncle Ermo, and old Ermie was born in 1919! Poor woman was wheelchair bound! Eduordo vomited all over all of it! Five hundred just to get that detailed, haha, three grand at the end of the day,” Egidio was also shaking his head, “for a dress not even for my wife!”

Bruno, who had made a whole career of speaking very little and working from the shadows, found a need to intercede at this moment, “How, exactly, does this pertain to the letter?”

Egidio was quick to snap back, even as he had been drifting on about the other hefty expenses of such a large feast and gathering that is a noble wedding, “I was just getting there!”

If one were looking closely enough, they would have noticed that, instantly, the thicket of white hair on the back of his neck, almost as much as on the back and sides of his head and significantly more than was on top, began rising as he went into a defensive mode. He scoffed at the insolence of Carlo’s uppity lackey and picked back up the origin story of the Rastan letter.

“Any who, so you remember which wedding I am talking about.” He went to take a sip from his glass, despairingly being reminded of how it was already finished. He then raised the glass in the air, pointing his arm in Bruno’s direction, and began shaking it. The sound of the little bit of ice left ratting in the glass insinuating for Bruno to go fetch him another drink. Befuddled, Bruno shot a look at Carlo as he refrained from insulting Egidio. Carlo and Bruno exchanged a wary glance, Carlo conveying his thoughts somehow telepathically, and Bruno reluctantly marched himself across the room to the bar cabinet. He began to fix a drink for Egidio, retrieving him a new glass and ice while the Duke returned to talking.

“At the reception, before the ceremony, you remember, I had all, a tremendous array of exotic and domestic fruits. Some of the Culinary folk, they arranged it, haha. It was beautiful! Truly. Looked like a floral garden! All of the really foreign stuff, like the, the, um, the kiwis, mangoes, I don't know, coconuts? There was the ones I think you really liked, what were they? Pineapples! Yes, haha, Eduordo threw up some of those too. Anywho, yes, that was all a gift my good friend! Yes, a Jash fellow down at the Taurianova port. Ah, thank you.”

Egidio handed off his empty glass to Bruno who swapped it with a full one, the General trudging over to the identical leather chair adjacent to the Duke. Egidio took a large swig and, feeling reinvigorated, continued, “So my friend, his name escapes me right now, it is one of those long drawn out ones with some strange sounds, he is a big Jash businessman from the Juteua company. He was at Eligio’s wedding too, haha! Sat at a table with Frodrigo Foderati and the news guy, eh, Pepi. But yes, so, the other day, some of the guys down at the port got a hold of my office, said it was urgent. So I sent some guys down there, they get sent back, say it’s really important; head Juteua guy at the port, my friend, is there, at the office, he needs to speak with me in private. So I have one of my secretaries get a hold of my office building, because Juteua is there, I’m not, of course, I was having a luncheon with Livia Tomarello and Di Pietro was in town.”

Egidio was fondly looking off in the distance, remembering the view from his beachfront villa as well as all the oysters and red wine he was having when he was there. “We were at my beach house north of the city, you know the one, you and Eliza used to be guested there when you would stay in Carrara for more than a few days in the summer. But yes, of course, so I have a message get sent to the Juteua folks at the port that I am not at the port or the office. Not that I would have been if I wasn’t at the beach house. If I wasn’t at the beach house I would have probably just been at my Castello, or maybe here. Although there is this fantastic high end trattoria that just opened, Culinary man, worked in my kitchen at one point.”

Carlo could see that Egidio was even confusing himself at this point, as he could see the elderly man trailing off and looking at the ceiling to try to regain his train of thought. Carlo helped prod the conversation along, “So this Juteua honcho, the friend of yours, you met at your office?”

“No, no, haha! Don’t be silly. So the port gets a hold of him for me, who gets a hold of secretaries who call me back up at the villa. We get it set up and we end up meeting that evening at the new restaurant, haha! Uliassi, that’s it! That’s the restaurant! I think its named after his mother? Or a horse. Wonderful, though, absolutely spectacular. The food, the ambiance, the mood! All truly memorable. He, eh, Juteua, got this Gobbetti with snails, there was chicory and parsley,” he pinched his thumb and fingers together and put it to his lip with a kissing sound, opening his hand up as he smooched, “magnificent, I was a little envious you know, haha! I got, a, I, it was a…. Not entirely sure, something with lettuce, or spinach? I think there were prawns? Either way the chef is skilled with the seafood.”

“So you two met, and then what?”

Egidio took the chance, while Carlo was speaking, to sneak a sip. He was hurriedly placing the glass down, a droplet falling from the corner of his mustache when he spoke, “Yes, yes! So we met, chit chatted, caught up for a bit. Talked about business, and the port, and things of that nature. He then says that his government, I guess Rasta III approached him, and they wanted to open a dialogue with you. Says the bureaucracy didn’t work, which, of course, it never does, haha! Want something done right, you must do it yourself, you know that! Your father, Beo bless him, he taught you well.” He was once again looking off in the distance, with a sniffle and a nostalgic look in his eyes.

Jumping back in, “He gave me the letter, said it was for you. Says it is urgent. Tells me the Jash are in a similar predicament, Rasta I believe looks up to you. Risorgimento really riled them all up, and they have never been a fan of a Porduzi or Cock, themselves, before. Beo knows our neighbors haven’t failed to ruin a thing or two outside of Lira. So he gave me the letter three days ago, said it was important, and now we are all here! I would've have been here yesterday to give it to you but Cecilia Vidovici was the soloist, guest performing with the Carrara Philharmonic at the opera house last night. Of course I had to attend.”

“Of course,” was all Carlo could muster for a response. At least this response was a little more informative than before, as far as things he was not already aware of. They sat in silence for a few moments, which turned into minutes. Egidio was content sipping his drink while Carlo read and reread the letter, as Bruno thumbed around on his phone.

Soon enough the silence was broken when Egidio leaned over, stretching as far as he could from his seat, to slap Bruno’s arm, “Can you pull it up, haha, the song?"

“What?” Bruno responded blithely.

“The Yakarena! Rasta’s song, haha!”

Carlo and Bruno locked eyes with each other, Carlo nodding to Bruno who quickly scrolled and typed something into his phone before handing it over to Egidio. The gray haired duke took the phone happily, his eyes lighting up like a child receiving a piece of candy. The fruity dance pop song the man had been referring to earlier began playing, his head bobbing and foot tapping. Egidio was now thoroughly amused and distracted

“Signore Serpeggio, what is your take on it,” Carlo inquired, leaning back in his seat.

Shrugging at first, he leaned forward, “Well. It is certainly interesting. For whatever reasons of his own, this man, Rastan, seriously wanted to get in touch with you. I’m sure I can certainly hypothesize several potential reasons why he felt compelled to address you, but right now, I couldn’t state anything for a fact. So we don’t necessarily know his motivation. But what we do know is his goal.”

“And, that is?” Carlo asked with a raise of an eyebrow.

Pointing at the letter as he spoke, “That he was determined to reach out to you. What does the heading say? Our Dear and Joyous Friend. So he clearly wants something from you. As of now, as far as he wishes to appear, it would be on friendly terms. What does he want? That can be speculated.”

It was Carlo’s turn to shrug, “I believe it is genuine.”

“By all means, yes, it may be. But nothing is ever certain and it is better to be wary. Not wary to the point of refraining from bringing this further, though. What we do know is that he is a powerful man, the most so of his people; in many ways similar to yourself. Perhaps he possesses the same, er, innate spark to do bigger, to do better; like yourself. If so, that may be what drove him to contact you; that he may believe you, and Parthonopia, are involved in the path to reach his destiny. The question is, however, is this path on our backs or walked on together?”

"Look at the booty on that one, haha!" Egidio exclaimed, a massive grin peeking out from under his mustache.

Both Carlo and Bruno found themselves avoiding eye contact for a moment, taking turns looking at the floor and the wall. The song was wrapping up, Egidio humming the hook still, and quietly whispering to himself occasionally, “Un yaka, due yaka, tre yakarena”

“I'm going to write a response,” Carlo leaned forward in his seat, sliding his chair closer to the desk. Placing his elbows on the counter, “in the meantime I want you to get the Jash ambassador in Carrara set up nice and cozy here in Ancona. Close to the Castello, somewhere nearby.”

“Yessir,” Bruno nodded curtly. He leaned forward as well, scooting up closer to the opposite side of the desk, across from Carlo. Whispering, “How is he,” nodding to Egidio, who had been able to restart the song and was watching it once again, “still one of the most successful businessmen in this whole country?”

Carlo chuckled quietly, and whispered back, “The man is a testament to an old adage about how you have to get as much done as possible when you’re young, for who knows what the future may be, haha!”

“It has become harder and harder to imagine him ever having been… different, than he is now.”

“You, of all people, know how he has lost quite a lot over the years, he wasn't always this way. And, after all, he still is one of the most successful Parthonopian businessmen. He is also the only man, this side of the Inoran, that was able to get this,” holding up the letter once more, “to my desk.”

OFFICIAL COMMUNIQUE OF THE KING OF PARTHONOPIA

From the Desk of King Carlo I

"Astra Inclinant, Sed Non Obligant"
17th of March, 2020

TO THE MOST ESTEEMED AND REVERED,

Your holiness, dearest Rastan II, Bas'Kan of Jashnagar; your reputation precedes you. A man of honor and great faith, political prowess, vast intellect, and wisdom that surpasses that of many of our time's brightest thinkers. I am both deeply flattered and humbled by your dispatch; for it's content, and the action alone, of penning the address, speaks volumes.

I must first admit that I fear that I have failed to live to the expectations of a great leader in many regards. The most recent of these failures is having lacked the foresight to reach out after your February announcement. With this in mind, it must be stated that perhaps my advice is not as sound as one would assume. I do not often freely disperse advice or recommendations; certainly not so to world leaders and even less often is it that my advice would be sought after by one. Alas, I cannot help but to recognize that the work that has been done here, under my guidance, has been hard fought. My accomplishments over the past two decades, from before Parthonopia’s glorious Risorgimento movement to today, are not light victories. These are not accomplishments that any man could achieve so easily. These victories are more than symbolic, they did not come without their share of sacrifice.

Our two great nations, while sitting on opposite sides of the world, both share a very similar, storied history. The oppressions and shortcomings that have burdened our people for centuries were brought upon us by the same villains; the same traitors to a prosperous world order that work tirelessly today to combat any advancement that righteous leaders and nations may take. I fear that you are all too correct as to your reasoning for the lack of response globally to your call to action; the Olympia we face today is being dismantled by a whirlwind of weak-willed and simple minded leaders whose only thoughts and goals are the protection of their immediate kin and the further dissemination of wicked ideologies. So, for this, I must apologize for not having taken the opportunity presented to me then; a potential friend, an ally, alone in the world reaching out sending a similar distress signal as I have been for years.

It is at this precipice that you have reached out to me. The nations of the world are disunited and scattered into blocs incapable of fending for more than themselves or to stand up to the grossly unjust new world order. You have asked for my advice and I can only say this; whatever words of wisdom I can impart upon you at this moment, you are already aware of. Your tenacity for peace and justice for your people, and more specifically the move to build a rapport with myself, are signifiers that you are already on the same course of action that I have taken to find myself, and Parthonopia, where we are today. While I am unsure if there is any poignantly applicable proverb or sage advice that I can repeat for you, I have found in my lifetime that there is one that sticks out. My actions have been molded by it, my thought process influenced by my interpretation of it. It is the motto of my people and of this incarnation of the Kingdom; “Astra Inclinant, Sed Non Obligant”.

The stars may incline us, but they do not bind us. I am, as I am sure you are as well, a believer in the truth and presence of Destiny. It was my destiny to reunite Parthonopia and it is further, my destiny, to lead the nation I have formed to victory against all of those that would oppose it. But the stars may only provide the opportunity for greatness, whereas it is in the hands of the beholder to drive that force of nature. Destiny, despite what many have misconceived, is not set in stone. For those who work against me, as they simultaneously work against you, may believe their destiny is the prevention or destruction of mine. The final results lay in the balance and are subject to one’s actions, not bound by predetermination. My advice for you is not a statement, but rather a question; What is your destiny?

With Warm Regards,
Sua Maestà,
Carlo I

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:55 pm

Ministry of Communication

Yuram Temple

26th of March, 2020
Post Sealed #65934

Our Dearest and Magnanimous Compatriot,

Your Majesty, Carlo I, King of Parthonopia; I am delighted to the depths of my soul by your response and also that we are able to write officially to each other. Your words are deeply humbling and are a testament to your inner character.

I would no be so repentant that you did not heed my February call to arms. It is no secret that my administration at the time was still recovering from the leadership shift, and my nation is no stranger to going unnoticed by the international community unless there is exploits to be made. This is not a personal failing, but a symptom of our age. It is doubly difficult to notice potential comrades when all around you are screaming enemies. What is most important is that you have responded here and now.

I would also not be so humble in your accomplishments. There is not a slice of doubt on the enormous sacrifices required towards the betterment of your people and nation. Parthonopia is surrounded by some of the worst offenders Olympia has ever known in regards to greed and plunder. Though centuries have passed, many if not all of these very same scoundrel polities are just as eager to destroy and conquer as they were during the height of their powers. They are not even willing to acknowledge the extent of their past transgressions. Yet how was one to not only unite a fractured people, but do so while these opponents had and have a vested interest in the broken state of Parthonopia? I believe there is very few other than yourself who could have accomplished this.

It is for this very reason that I have reached out to you in gratitude for the work you have done and the work you may do. Your actions and your pinned thoughts have confirmed that I have made the right decision in speaking to you directly. You and I clearly share the same mindset as men of actions and not just talk. I believe, if I may be so bold to say, you would have made an excellent student of Jai Maism. Perhaps in the next life. Perhaps somewhere else, you are sitting in my place instead of me. Regardless, I find the philosophy of your people and nation that you so graciously shared infinitely bound in wisdom, truth, and beauty. May I respond to it and ease your mind by sharing my own country's words of choice: "Tasi B'u".
In short, "Stay the Course".

It is with all of this in mind, that since we are in agreement as to the state of our world and the suffering of the people within it, that I ask you to stay the course you have already set out before you. Your advice has stimulated much thought about the best ways for us to do the same and only a singular conclusion can be drawn. This conclusion is simply that Parthonopia and Yam'gonra must be firmer in their commitments, convictions, and cooperation. We are of the opinion that this can only be done in friendship and so it is my greatest pleasure to invite your Majesty to Yam'gonra to meet with me and discuss our future as nations and leaders. It may seem beyond convention that this be done directly, but it is clear that you are the only person capable of outlining these endeavors. I believe the west will be all the better for your gracious presence.

Until next we meet,
His Dignity,
Rastan II

Pretty Woman
-And other classics from the Golden Decades
Yuram, Jashnagar
March 30th, 2020

Rastan was dwarfed by Kashran Jiradi. Most men were, even tall ones.
Jiradi was the world's most conspicuous intelligence director, and his white t-shirt and jeans did nothing to hide that fact as the two strolled down the boardwalk in the setting sun. The Bas'kan knew that Jiradi was the kind of spy that didn't need to hide. The veteran webweaver made certain that if he was shot dead in the next thirty seconds, everything would run smoothly without him. He was ever-present, always standing in the shadows of the room as leaders met, talked, and dined. Always at hand to dispense advice and update information, but completely and intentionally replaceable at any given moment. That was precisely why he was invaluable.

"Tell me, Jiradi, did you ever see yourself taking an evening walk through the seaside of Yuram with the Bas'kan?" Rastan chuckled.

"Not quite, your Holiness." Jiradi said. "I saw myself in service to the YSSMF wherever I am needed."

"And so it was. And so it was."
Rastan paced slowly in the evening air, taking in the scents of the various eateries clashing with that of the evening ocean. He smiled and waved to people as he went, always keeping a friendly demeanor as he observed the ordinary life of his people. Though a few faces lit up in surprise and disbelief, few recognized him as their head of state and faith. For most, he must have appeared simply as a kindly old man out enjoying the palm-lined causeway. His casual orange robes must have only helped conceal him as a simple monk, taking a reprieve from the city temple. What they did do, was glow in along the oranges and pinks of the darkening sky. It was to him, another heavenly moment in the Great Gate, a product of Dam.

"How many Bas'kans do you think come out like this among the people, Jiradi?" Rastan asked.

"Here in Yuram? Very few. Your predecessor, though beloved, was often too ill to travel outside the temple. When they did travel, as you know, it was in secret and distinctly away from news outlets."

This was undoubtedly another reason so few paid much attention to the Bas'kan as he passed by. Though the whole nation had seen his image — the first to ever be publicly shown since the invention of the photograph — they had decades if not centuries of enigmatic images to fill in for the appearance of the Bas'kan. It would take more than a few pictures for his face to be recognizable on the street. In many ways, he was building a brand for himself and that had always been something he was prepared for when he took the leap to break convention. This evening, his brand was a nobody.

"Ah yes. Umyathar. His real name was Kiko..." Rastan snapped his fingers in recollection. "Parsheda? I can't recall. You know when I was a young man and first came to Yuram temple, they stuck me under his class for several months. He was so younger then. We called him 'Master Chip' because of his broken front tooth. Everyone remembers that about him, yes?"

"I will avoid comment on his late Holiness." Jiradi said.

"Ah, you can laugh!" Rastan said, poking at the larger man's ribs with his elbow. "It's funny. Real blowhard in training. Fond memories, not so fond living. To think that teacher became Bas'kan. Surely Dam at work. Amazing."

"And what about yourself, your Holiness? Did you ever imagine becoming Bas'kan?"

"Oh..." Rastan stopped, scanning the neon signs of the shops as he thought. "No, but I didn't ever think I'd stay a monk either. As a kid, my political daydreams saw me as a president or prime minister." he started laughing. "Back then we weren't sure exactly what kind of government we were going to have."
"No, I wanted to be a teacher, maybe professor even. That was in my early days, before I first joined a temple. Before that, I think I wanted to be a soldier, like my father. He was a workoxen, that man. Silent as he carried all the weight they packed on him. That was back during the war. You know the type, Jiradi, just like you."

Jiradi grunted in response.

The pair made their way at Rastan's urging to a bench with its back to the seashore. The Bas'kan continued to amicably greet people as they passed, though like peoples everywhere, most avoided too much eye contact. Occasionally, he'd see a foreigner stroll by blissfully unaware. Tourist season never truly dies down in Yuram, he knew, and the seaside was a prime target. A familiar scent filled his nostrils as he people-watched, and Rastan made it a game to guess what it was.
Definitely something batter fried...fish? No. There's something else...sweetness.
He settled on it being a dessert and turned to his companion.

"So, Jiradi, now that we are a way from prying ears, debrief me on the Parthonopian plan."

The head of the YSSMF perked up at his summons. Rastan thought surely this man must stand on a mental edge at all times, just waiting to be utilized.

"This meeting with King Carlo is of top confidentiality. We are positive of a negative reaction to a Head-of-State visit by relevant polities, you Holiness. The king will come, and discuss with you. We are yet unsure of the details from the Parthonopians on how they will spin his absence or visit to Jashnagar, if they even will. In the meantime, Ambassador Sukhomin has been relocated to Ancona as per request of Carlo, allowing official and quick correspondence between the governments."

"And he will come visit me at Yuram temple?" Rastan asked.

"We don't believe it is conducive to the objective to use the temple complex for the meeting. We are currently weighing our options. Frankly, his visit is not to be clandestine, but simply kept within the bounds of our two nations. No news crews, minimal ministers, but the King will be allowed to enjoy what he wishes of Yam'gonra."

"And if the meeting is successful? Do we remain shadow allies?"

"Ultimately, it is not to our advantage — in fact it would be to our disadvantage — to keep cordiality, or especially a more formal arrangement between our two nations secret. We simply do not have enough of a picture, your Holiness, to determine that openness at this time is a prudent course of action. Therefor we will keep things quite for the moment. With Taga'pa ships in Nofosinamoa, it is a matter of security that we do not bombastically announce current trends."

"Very good Jiradi." Rastan affirmed. "You and the Prime Minister will naturally be present at the welcome, alongside —"

Rastan's eyes locked fluttered in distraction as he stared off into the passing crowd. They locked on to a woman pushing a baby stroller, destroying his thread of thought.
"I —"
he failed to pull his mind away. I.. know you, he whispered softly.
The woman was older, short, and somewhat stocky. Even from here one could see pointed-upturned eyes crown a scowling face, fit with a nose that couldn't decide if it wanted to be islander or Liran. Despite her age, her pulled-back hair had not turned white but instead had been streaked with gold highlighting. She and the baby she guided continued gently across the face of the shops.

"Your Holiness?" Jiradi asked.

Rastan stood and without looking back motioned away. "Thank you Jiradi, you are dismissed from my service."
He added "Order." as he walked forward. Of course, he didn't truly expect the special forces agent to follow it, but they both knew that in this place the Bas'kan didn't need much supervision.

The Bas'kan gently approached the woman, who turned her attention towards him as he got close.

"Elisabeth..?" he said cautiously.

She raised an eyebrow as she pulled away from him slightly, only for a wave of recognition to wash over her face into a bright-eyed smile.
"Ahdram?"

"Hey." Rastan said, suddenly embarrassed as a lifetime of memory flooded the canals of his conscious. From behind the woman came a small boy, somehow missed until now, who stared up at Rastan with large brown discs as he chewed on the top of his thumb and tugged at the woman's jacket. She gently moved his arm down.

"It's been...through Mai, years since we last spoke!" she said. "I saw your picture in the newspaper. I knew it was you immediately."

"Who's your friends?" Rastan said bending down towards the boy, ignoring her statements.

"These are my grandbabies. This little Line," she said motioning into the stroller, "and this is Tavu."

"Tavu? Like the King." Rastan said as he extended his hand out to the boy, who shied away back behind his grandmother.

"Ahdram, Belle didn't say anything about you becoming the Bas'kan. Neither did Enri."

"I'm sure." he frowned.

"Look, I'd love to talk and know what you've been doing all this time, but I've got to hurry home, so maybe I can —"

"Wait, Elisabeth, let me get you and your grandkids a treat while we're here on the shore." Rastan pleaded, leading her forward and to the side. "Come on, you must."

She let him pull her forward towards the shops.
"Okay. Only for a moment."

Rastan ushered the group to a nearby ice-cream stand. The sun was setting rapidly, and the sky was beginning to darken, electrifying the lights over head. A glance back towards the bench reveal Jiradi leaning against a palm, watching from a distance, his own cone materialized in-hand. The man's seemingly supernatural foresight another one of his many skills.

As the Bas'kan approached the counter, the middle-aged man in the back must have realized who had come to buy and rushed forward, nearly throwing his teenage employee off his feet as he pushed him to the back.
"Your holiness!" he said bowing. "Madam. Please, welcome! Welcome! How may my shop assist you?"

"Kind sir, I would like two cones and a spoon for the baby." Rastan said, placing his hands together in greeting. "Ah...chocolate, please."

"Just one. The smallest you have." Elisabeth interjected.

"Just one." Rastan affirmed.

The man turned back and whipped the cloth on his belt towards his worker demandingly.
"Yes, through Mai one chocolate cone for his Holiness. On the house. Please."

As the man marched off to supervise the critical work set before him, Rastan turned to his companion. Before he could speak, his mind registered the music pouring out of the overhead speakers now that he was standing under them, and he was unable to focus. The song was instantly recognizable—a cheap Produese pop hit from a couple decades past, that somehow clung disparately to public radio relevancy. The Yakorena or somesuch.
"Good sir, may I request you change station for me and the madam?" Rastan shouted back to the owner. "Something from the good old days?"

"Yes, of course, whatever his Holiness desires."
The man disappeared into the back, leaving his worker gawking behind the freezer-counters, making no progress towards the completion of his task.

"Anyways," Elisabeth said. "Look at you! Bas'kan! I didn't even know you were still a monastic."

"Well, life is strange. I can't believe it myself most of the time."

Elisabeth swatted at her grandsons hand as he tugged harder on her jacket and pulled him away from an impatient step-outward. As she did so, her attention caught onto the muscle-bound giant watching all too obviously from against a nearby tree.
"A friend of yours?"

Rastan nodded.

"Government?" she asked in a smiled whisper.

"Unfortunately."

Just then, a familiar beat echoed from above them followed by lyrics.
Pretty woman, walking down the street...

The shop-owner appeared moments later and tapped his employee with an upward point as if to say "See, real music!" before realizing nothing had been done and then in a panic-stricken stupor rushing a cone of ice-cream out to his esteemed customers. Elisabeth thanked him with a smile and then spooned a tiny amount off the top before handing it to the boy, bringing the spoon down to the baby who rejected the offering anyways.

"Listen, I really have to get going, but we have to talk again soon, seriously talk." she said to Rastan as she gripped both hands against the stroller bar.

"Yes, yes." he said. "Actually I might have an...event, for you to come to. Maybe anyways. If they let me."

She laughed and then began forward.
"Okay. Look, I'll get in touch through Belle, okay?"

"Okay."

"Bye."

Rastan stood there in the middle of the street watching her walk away for a long time.

Ranaman Palace
Yuram, Jashnagar

Prime Minister Tale'va stood with the entourage on the second-floor of the octagonal shaped wing of Ranaman Palace. The room around them was flooded from the wall-spanning windows surrounding them on all sides. Even after 70 years since its last administrative holding, the palace remained stately as it had ever been. It was by all accounts, once shut off to the tourists, the right location for the Bas'kan's meeting with King Carlo I.
This had been the last seat of the Jashnagari monarchy — and monarchs, as far as Tale'va was aware, loved symbolism and tradition.

"So this is it, then? This is where we'll host him?" he said impatiently into the crowd.

Rastan II occupied the center of the room with his hands folded in front of him, changing positions only to adjust his glasses as he examined everything.
"Yes, I think the palace will work best for the King's stay." Rastan said.

Off in the corner, Kashran Jiradi typed away at a tablet, inspecting even the corners of the ceiling with a pinpoint flashlight.
"Stand...stand...camera here...stand.."
Enri watched him pace the room, mumbling to himself, tapping at window panes and reaching underneath tables. He was meticulous and rigid, like a machine, he knew exactly where to go, and what he was looking for, and he had been a key part of the process from the very beginning. It had only been a matter of weeks before that Enri was sitting in his living room, offering him reinstatement to the job of his lifetime.

The Prime Minister turned his attention to the other government ministers allowed to observe the process. Most of them simply whispered among each other at the various facets of the functional museum that was the palace, going over sheets with data relevant to whatever their ministry's particular aspect was to this operation. In the end, everyone knew that this meeting among global leaders sat firmly in the hands of those leaders themselves.

The room went quite for a moment, allowing for the serene silence of the palace, punctuated only by the ticking of an old clock and birdsong from outside—the kind of silence only ancient rooms gave. It still smelled like dust, old carpet, and teak around them.
"Okay, so then what?" Enri said when he was done with the quiet.

"The King will fly into Sevar International." Jiradi said absent-mindedly as he peaked under desks with his light. "He will be picked up and escorted, alongside his aides, to the palace. He will then be greeted by a welcoming party on the lawn —"

"Are we still doing the dancers?" Rastan asked, examining the desk that faced the doorway from the far side of the room. It was the monarch's desk, and then it was Juteau's.

"Dancers..." Jiradi took a deep inhale as he looked up. "We'll see. We want to appeal to Carlo's own tastes. Big touristy gimmicks are a bust. Anyways, he'll get the welcoming party on the lawn. He will then be escorted through the front into the palace, and then after a brief passing-tour be brought up here, were he will be able to speak to his Holiness. The Prime Minister and wife will be here, as will I. Of course the Minister of External Affairs will be here, and so will sir, and sir."

After finishing his examination, Jiradi marched to the center and began tapping further on his tablet. "Carlo will be choosing who comes and goes with him, but his Holiness has made a decision." he turned and waited for the attention of everyone in the room before motioning to the Bas'kan to explain.

"After initial introduction, Everyone will be dismissed from our camp from the meeting. Mrs. Tale'va will act as a government scribe if need be. Should I deem it necessary, even Enri will be asked to leave, allowing me and the king to talk freely. Carlo can keep whoever he'd like with him, but Mr. Jiradi has ensured that the conversation logs remain off government docket. This is a personal request."

Everyone in the room nodded in compliance, though Enri could tell that it was not without annoyance. Anyone could see that such a measure was not a particularly wise move politically, but who here would argue with the Bas'kan? Enri for one, would save his breath. A lifetime of knowing the man known as Rastan II payed off in the end, it seemed. He could only hope the YSSMF picked up where caution left off.

"The rest," Jiradi continued, "is still in the air, folks. We will offer to house Carlo and his staff here at the palace for the remainder of his stay in Yuram. He will not be restricted from travel in the city, nor in the country, but will be advised by his people of the nature of the meeting. It is not our responsibility to patch for the Parthonopian camp, but it is our duty to cover our own affairs. As a result, no matter what takes place, we will have our stacks in order, gentlemen."

With that, the Jash gave a salute and was dismissed from the meeting. The rest of the ministers zoned in on the Bas'kan and a conversation sparked up on the finer details. Just then, Enri's phone began to ring. He reached out with an excusing finger and then slipped out of the room, headed for an exit into the fresh air.
"Hey, what's up? No, no, we've just finished.... Yeah? What did she want?"

Enri stopped on the steps of the palace, squinting his eyes against the sun. He stuck his freehand in his pocket and peered around the lawn as he listened to the other end.
"Excuse me? What did she say....repeat that again....

Fuck."

Water Earth Fire Air

Parthonopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthonopia » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:45 pm

Yuram
Jashnagar
17th of March, 2020

Crystal clear waters lapped against the grainy mounds of sand on a pristine beach. Sunlight glistened off of the peaks of the mild waves that break on the coast, depositing relics of the ocean life in piles before pulling some back into the water, either to soon return or settle on the ocean floor. A rocky outcropping lined the perimeter, looming over the sand, seagulls shuffling along it in between flights. Just a few feet beyond, lush, green grass carpeted the land, stretching the length of the coast as far as one could see. Palm trees, strewn across the lawn in no particular order, serenely swayed in a gentle breeze. The picturesque landscape tapered off into sand once more before an asphalt roadway separated the land from the foothills of a modern skyline. Tall steel and glass buildings, highways, and bright lights, visible even in the sunlight. The cohabitation of a sight that so closely resembled an example of natural perfection and the trappings of an established, industrial city; a vision Carlo would not soon forget.

He held that vision in his thoughts as he embarked from the private plane that had ferried him across the Inoran Ocean. It was the last sight to see from the skies as the aircraft began its descent and landing into Sevar International Airport. So much majestic beauty compacted into a strip of land that, he assumed, ran the length of the coast and wrapped all around the island he had come to. As he exited the plane, standing on the landing at the top of the stairs, he was instantly met with a whiff of saltwater, the sea no longer in sight but evidently ever present. A shake of his lapels and he descended down the loading ramp. At the base of the stairs he stepped forward with his right foot onto solid ground, his first step in Yuram. After six decades on this planet, for the first time in his life he found himself walking upon the soil of another continent.

Carlo was not alone on this journey abroad. It was a monumental occasion and a crucial moment in history that he had embarked on, a task too large to overcome by himself. While he was responsible for the foundation of whatever would occur today, on behalf of Parthonopia, Carlo would have assistance and guidance from a throng of men whom he had relied on in the past and intended to continue doing so well into the future. Two of the men, Hugo Baldassaro, and Adelardo Damiani, would provide him with the necessary expertise in the fields where Carlo found his knowledge lacking. The third, another expert in his trade, a menacing man in both reputation and stature, the highest authority on Parthonopian military matters, Grand Marshal Bartolomeo Ongaro. The King had ulterior motives as to bringing along the chief commander, below him, of the Parthonopian armed forces, beyond the valuable input he could provide on matters of defense and security. Ongaro, afterall, was a self serving man, albeit that he and Carlo’s interests have been more or less aligned. It only seemed safer to keep the, arguably, second most powerful man in Parthonopia close by, especially when he would be so far from home with any of the other major powerbrokers of the Kingdom in tow.

The Parthonopian entourage emptied out onto the tarmac and formed a half circle at the base of the ramp, Carlo at the center. Ongaro, in his full parade uniform, stood to Carlo’s right, his face bearing it’s standard, stoic gaze. His eyes were blank, peering out from under the black brim of his hat and staring dead ahead of him. While the rest of the crowd was chatting amongst themselves, his eyes were locked on the equally stoic looking, towering man with incredible posture that stood with his arms crossed behind his back out before them. Carlo had his eyes on Ongaro, while the Grand Marshal and the man opposite of them across the runway sized each other up. Behind the man, who was also adorned in a military uniform, albeit less flashy, several cars were parked in a line. Outside of each car a soldier stood at attention by the passenger door while a non uniformed driver, in fine clothes, stood by their door. Further past the welcoming party was an excellent, up close view of the feat of engineering that was Sevar International. A seemingly natural fusion of native, cultural Jashnagari building style and modern infrastructure. The fancily adorned turrets and towers of red stone and elevated walkways dressed with engraved patterns and tiles made it resemble rampart walls on a fortress that may have been manned during Maist crusades centuries ago. These features easily, if not seamlessly, transitioned into the curved steel arched roofs of terminals.

Duke Egidio, his right hand on the shoulder of the young man to his side, was using his left to point at one of these arches. He reminisced, almost cheerily with a hint of nostalgia and reflection in his voice, “See those arches, boy? When, when.. When I was your age, haha, I saw three men fall off of one of those, just like it, when my Papa had me tag along to check on the construction of Carrara International with him.”

The young man feigned interest in Egidio’s story, as he learned it was the best course of action on such occasions. Unable to constrain it, he rolled his eyes to himself, something he had seen his father do many times to the elderly, perpetual story teller. Afterall, since his father had married Egidio’s daughter when he was so young, he had spent most of his life, since his childhood, listening to and indulging the ramblings of the hobbyist historian. Carlo’s gaze had wandered over to watch this exchange between his son and his former father-in-law. He could not help but to give a smirk, hidden under his mustache, as he knew all too well how quickly the Duke of Massa could spiral into a lengthy diatribe, based solely off of the most mundane facts and tidbits, gleamed from any inconsequential subject that could remind him of something or someone from the past.

“I have been here twice before, you know. Once in 1981, haha! Or was it ‘89? Huge business deal, haha! No, no, it was, no, that was uh, Simanala! I was here for, it was my cousin Ophelia’s destination wedding. These light skinned Jash girls in seaweed skirts everywhere! What a sight, what a sight. If you’re lucky, boy, haha, you’ll see what I mean. I would be surprised if there weren’t, honestly. I think it’s part of their religion.”

“Eduordo, come here,” Carlo snapped his fingers at his son to come to his side before he proceeded to walk forward, the group following his lead.

A grin appeared on Eduordo’s face as his father saved him from the impending tangent and he jogged over to him. Not before first turning to his one time grandfather and quipping, “Sorry, Egi, the King needs me.”

Edourdo was Carlo’s second son and youngest of his children from his first marriage. He had never had the time with his father that his older brother or sister had received, or even that of his youngest half siblings. He was a Prince, in the same way all of his siblings were Princes and Princesses, but not anywhere close to the meaning in which his brother Filip’s title held, or even that of his older sister, Annamaria. Of the original three, two had been away from home for years, forging their destinies and cementing positions in some of the highest noble courts and houses in Lira. He was a prince but his brother was the Prince that was the heir. He was a prince but his sister was a queen; Queen of Boaga after her marriage to the King Erramun a few years prior. He had never thought of himself as jealous of his family members, despite feeling snubbed when his brother was given command of the Esercito della Principato while he was never granted command of anything. He had been in military school since he was 14, twice as long as Filip ever was; and a better student than his older brother, to boot. None of this had ever seemed to matter to his father, however, or so it seemed sometimes. Today, this trip, was an exception. He came to Carlo’s side, still grinning until he was subtly told to quit it. Egidio was not grinning, rather scowling at the insolence of Carlo’s spawn while his face grew flush.

“You do not call him Egidio, boy. If you don’t want to call him Nonno, it must be Duke Egidio to you. Do you understand me?”

Eduordo sighed and looked to the ground, he had been looking forward to this trip and felt he had been off to a good start. Of course it was not hard to set off his father and he should have realized it was only a matter of time before it would happen here. “Yessir,” he muttered.

“I’m sorry?” Carlo strained his neck forward and perked his ear.

Eduordo cleared his throat, “Yessir, father.”

“Good.”

They approached the burly figure awaiting them, Carlo and Eduordo stopping ten feet away from him, Hugo and Adelardo lingering behind, while Ongaro closed the distance and shook hands with the man. They introduced themselves, learning that the man before them was the head of security for the meeting and a high ranking officer of a special Jashnagari armed service; a fellow named Jiradi. Egidio, blissfully unaware, or perhaps ignoring, that the rest of the group had paused to wait while the two military men did their grunting, waltzed straight up to Jiradi. The Duke made an effort to gesture to the Jashnagari as he loudly introduced himself. Caught between a bow and a flimsy salute, the tips of his fingers against his forehead with the palm of his hand faced out, he combined the two for a motion that seemed more fitting for a theater actor.

“Did you say you’re the cash man?! You must know my friend, then, haha! Big Jash businessman from Juteua. Navin!”

The crowd on the Parthonopian side collectively sighed, some more visibly and audibly then others. Ongaro’s was certainly the most reserved as he contained his disdain within a short lived smirk and near silent, singular laugh. Jiradi remained emotionless, if just the tiniest hint of confusion being revealed in his eyes. He played it off nicely, ascertaining to just nod and agree with the man before turning his attention to Carlo. He informed them of their itinerary briefly before ushering the group into separate vehicles. Carlo and his son would be in one car by themselves at the center of the motorcade, Egidio, Adelardo, and Hugo in another, with Jiradi and Ongaro sharing a third. They all proceeded to get on their way rather quickly; at least as speedily as the shuffling pace of Egidio could allow.

Before sliding into the back seat of the SUV before them, Eduordo looked back at Egidio, who was now chewing off Hugo’s ears. He turned to his father, who was waiting for him to climb in first, and shook his head as he grumbled aloud, “Should’ve left him at home.”

“You believe that was truly an option?” Carlo stood still, folding his arms together in front of his chest. He raised an eyebrow at his son, non verbally chastising him for talking poorly of Egidio, once again.

“Well, yeah, I thought you were the King,” Eduordo replied snarkily in response to the perceived aggressive tone. He did not look his father in the eye as he said it, instead groaning afterwards and climbing into the car.

Carlo entered behind him and they both settled in after the driver closed their door. While the driver walked around to enter the front seat, the guard still standing at attention outside the passenger door, the king turned to his son. He could not help himself but to glower at Eduordo before winding up and back handing him across his cheek.

“Dannazione, boy! You would do good to learn when to shut that gaping hole of yours.”

Eduordo sniffled, placing a hand to hold his cheek where he had been struck. He fought himself as hard as he could to hold back any tears and prevent embarrassing himself further. His face was almost instantly red, from both the smack and his seething anger that he could do nothing with. The frustration was strong enough that it quickly became increasingly difficult to hold in all of the tears and he reluctantly let now more than three droplets roll down his face.

Carlo was having none of it, “Only a strano boy cries. You want to be a general, ha! Quit your dramatics before you embarrass me any more than you already have. And we have only seen the airport.”

The driver had taken his seat, and the soldier his, and the car was rolling along shortly. It was a concise, uneventful ride to their destination. Within less than half an hour the convoy was arriving in front of the venue for this historic meeting. Ranaman Palace stood tall at the end of a long scenic driveway, lined with exotic gardening and flowery hedges. Terracotta tile roofs and stucco walls on a building with many windows. If not for the palm trees and the crowd gathered in front, Carlo could have mistaken the building for a Parthonopian one. They had arrived, coming to a gentle stop before a red paver walkway that was lined with little poles, a chain strung across them to prevent visitors from walking on the meticulously manicured yards. The driver exited the vehicle first and moved to open the door for his passengers. Carlo turned to Eduordo once more, as they had both sat silently staring forward for the ride, and raised his right hand, extending his pointer finger, to enter into his lecturing mode.

“I brought you with me to learn something. So you may be of use in the future and maybe even do something of worth or note yourself one day. By Beo, I swear, if you haven’t already learned a lesson, to keep your mouth shut, I will make short work of making you regret not learning it sooner.”

Eduordo gulped and nodded in agreement. It would not be enough of a response to satiate his father who leaned in closer, his brow furrowed and his eyes fierce, “Do you understand me, boy?”

“Yessir, vostra maestà.”

Carlo relented and smiled, urging his son out of the car. “Good, now see if you may be able to learn something while we are here, beyond the lesson you forgot you already knew.”

The Parthonopian delegation emptied out on the causeway, gathering together to stand before the official welcoming party. Many smiling faces, more than a few blank emotionless ones. A who’s who of Jashnagar’s ruling class were assembled on the sidewalk, awaiting Carlo and crew. He could instantly recognize a few, key faces, that of the Prime Minister, Enri Tale’va, his wife Annabelle, and most importantly, the Bas’kan Rastan II. His white beard and glasses unmistakable, the regal, fiery orange monastic robes that draped to the floor sealing the image. The rest of the government officials and random ministers present blurred from view as Carlo locked eyes with the holy man. There was at least forty feet between them as the two men made their first impression upon the other.

Carlo stood there, Eduordo standing shyly to his right, and buttoned the center of his suit jacket, his head high and chest out. He smiled and turned his eyes from Rastan to survey the rest of the crowd. There were no other faces he instantly recognized from his briefings, nor names that came to mind. He spotted a small band, set up on the grass, off to the right behind the hosts. They were softly, for a mostly brass ensemble, playing a smooth, up beat march of some sort. Noticeably there were no journalists present and not a soul, from the road into the palace complex on, that weren’t event staff or Jashnagari officials. He moved his attention from the band to a throng of beautiful, light skinned women, scantily clad and sporting hula skirts, that were dancing on the grass on the opposite side of the walkway from the band. Before he had fully realized what he was seeing, Duke Egidio was quick to address it.

“Haha! Yes! See, see, I… haha! See, I told you we would see them!”

Carlo shook his head softly, but could not help to grin. He began his walk forward, everyone else keeping pace save for Jiradi who stayed at attention behind them. As he closed the distance, ten feet between Rastan and him, he spread out his arms and held his hands out open, palms to the sky.

“Dearest Bas’kan, Rastan II, you are a wonderful, gracious host and I am more than grateful to be your company. I sincerely thank you for allowing myself, and my guests,” he gestured to his entourage, “to witness the beauty of your nation and relish this moment in history.”

Carlo turned to Enri, who stood next to his wife, fidgeting slightly, perhaps nervous. “Prime Minister Tale’va, my gratitude extends to you as well, and of course to your beautiful wife, Annabelle,” a slight bow and a smile, “it is abundantly clear that your hospitality is genuine and generous. I’m very grateful that you are here today, I had heard you had a minor health issue recently and was worried you may miss this. I do pray you are well and feeling better, stronger than ever.”

Carlo, done with the show, walked forward the rest of the way, putting his right hand out in front of him to embrace Rastan’s.

Return to International Incidents