NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT #2] Against Harassment

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT #2] Against Harassment

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:43 pm

TINHAMPTONIAN MINISTRY OF WORLD ASSEMBLY AFFAIRS: Notice of Submission Warning
This proposal will be submitted in conjunction with CoAUP, unless there is no appetite for this proposal. Thank you for your consideration.

Character count: 1,204
Word count: 179
Bianca Venkman, Assistant to the Delegate-Ambassador: What you see behind my on the projected screen is the first in a series of proposals that we hope will serve as her platform for change.

(OOC, wrt Article b: In this report by the UNnameable Organisation from 2018 - Section 36b in particular - it is "recommend[ed] that [New Zealand]... ensure that all workplaces have a sexual harassment policy.")
Against Harassment
A resolution to improve worldwide human sapient and civil rights.
Category: Civil Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Tinhampton

Seeing harassment to be a violation of sapient rights, equality, and dignity, the General Assembly hereby:
  1. defines "harassment" as a wilful act - including threats, attempts, and aiding and abetting thereof - by a person; which harms (or could harm) another person physically and non-fatally, mentally, or financially; and which would not be tolerated by a reasonable person,
  2. suggests that all businesses within the World Assembly's jurisdiction adopt policies against sexual harassment, and
  3. requires all members to:
    1. criminalise harassment within their jurisdiction; unless permitted in prior and unrepealed WA law, or future WA law on self-defence,
    2. prosecute it as a crime of appropriate gravity, regardless of motive (including cultural tradition and "honour" so-called), including by prosecuting it more seriously if the victim was significantly harmed,
    3. ban the use of alternative means of dispute resolution in resolving charges of it,
    4. refrain from repatriating vulnerable harassment victims to a state where their life or dignity may be in danger, and
    5. immediately educate all their subjects on the criminal nature and consequences of harassment.

CHANGELOG:
    Draft 1:
    1. 25-Jan-2020, original resolution.
    Draft 2:
    1. 26-Jan-2020, suffixed the wording "and which would not be tolerated by a reasonable person" upon the definition of harassment in Article a. Moved Article d to Article b, and the old Article b to Article c. "Removed the wording "was below the age of majority, was related to the suspect; or if the suspect has been convicted of harassment before" from Article c, which was retitled Article c(iii). Split the old Article b into two bullet points, and changed "subject to standing WA law" to "unless permitted in prior and unrepealed WA law, or future WA law on self-defence" in Article c(i). Added Article c(iv), on non-refoulement, and c(v), on educational campaigns.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:47 pm

No, and more no. This is something best handled at the national level.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:56 pm

Wayneactia wrote:No, and more no. This is something best handled at the national level.

Assistant Venkman: Consider the following. Anybody can be defamed, so the World Assembly makes laws clarifying that nations may place reasonable regulations against defamation. Anybody can be suspected of a crime - rightly or wrongly - or victimised during the course thereof, so the World Assembly makes multiple laws about fair trials and the rights of victims of crimes. Anybody can be enslaved or tortured, so the World Assembly makes laws against them. Likewise, anybody can be harassed - so what does the World Assembly do?
None of these crimes necessarily involve crossing borders by definition, although they do on some occasions; they are all, however, assaults on the sapient being and their dignity, hence why the WA legislates upon them. There are plenty of other issues which are domestic and do not even appear to involve attacks upon the person, and yet the WA has also legislated upon those. It would hence not be disreasonable for the body of augustness whose headquarters I am presenting in right now to legislate against harassment.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:06 am

"The definition requires work. At the moment it bans everything from self defence to debt collection."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:14 am

“I’m not sure why you chose to require harassment by family members to be taken more seriously. If done at all, this does seem to be more of a national decision. Personally, I can’t see why different people would be prosecuted differently for the same crime.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Teretstein
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teretstein » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:45 am

Assistant Venkman: Consider the following. Anybody can be defamed, so the World Assembly makes laws clarifying that nations may place reasonable regulations against defamation. Anybody can be suspected of a crime - rightly or wrongly - or victimised during the course thereof, so the World Assembly makes multiple laws about fair trials and the rights of victims of crimes. Anybody can be enslaved or tortured, so the World Assembly makes laws against them. Likewise, anybody can be harassed - so what does the World Assembly do?

You really think that we don't have laws against defamation to begin with? Here, knowingly falsely accusing someone is 10 years in prison. PERIOD. If you know that you're lying, it becomes 20 years in a maximum-security prison. We don't like liars much.

This is best handled on a national level.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:51 am

'I agree with the assessment that the definition is overly broad.'

(OOC: In fact, there might not be any act that could not harm any other person,)
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:29 am

OOC
As currently written, this illegally contradicts several existing resolutions.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:21 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC

ALSO OOC: I'd imagine that most of that legal stickiness pertains to the overbroad definition of harassment and the mandates defined in Article (c)?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:55 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC

ALSO OOC: I'd imagine that most of that legal stickiness pertains to the overbroad definition of harassment and the mandates defined in Article (c)?

STILL OOC: Yes. for example, the definition including "physical harm" clashes with all of the resolutions that specifically allow inflicting various forms of harm in military or law-enforcement contexts...
...and the ban on inflicting harm "financially" arguably interferes with member nation's domestic taxation.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:09 am

DEFINITELY OOC: Ta much, Bears! I suspected the definition of harassment had something to do with it. Now I wonder how much attention a reasonable person would pay to the Sovereign Citizen movement and Hans Hoppe...

Venkman: ...be tolerated... by a reasonable person. Well, that's hopefully a better definition and I've whacked in a few more clauses as well. Your comments and complaints - especially complaints - are welcomed.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:27 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Seeing harassment to be a violation of sapient rights, equality, and dignity, the General Assembly hereby:

OOC: Needs more preamble. Why is this an international issue? Wouldn't reasonable nations already have this legislation in place?

defines "harassment" as a wilful act - including threats, attempts, and aiding and abetting thereof - by a person; which harms (or could harm) another person physically and non-fatally, mentally, or financially; and which would not be tolerated by a reasonable person,

As has already been said, waaaay past anything even vaguely resembling what is actually meant by "harassment" in actual normal English. And also way overboard any kind of semi-sensible definition for this purpose.

suggests that all businesses within the World Assembly's jurisdiction adopt policies against sexual harassment, and

You don't define sexual harassment. And also why is this just a suggestion when non-sexual harassment gets made a crime???

...come to think of it, there's probably already a resolution on this, can't remember the name off the top of my mind, but sexual privacy or something like that, comes to mind.

requires all members to:
  1. criminalise harassment within their jurisdiction; unless permitted in prior and unrepealed WA law, or future WA law on self-defence,

Underlined looks fishy, given you're trying to write that too. Why single out self-defence? Makes no sense except you've realized you've written yourself in a corner otherwise. Bad writing. Also, as pointed out already, over-broad definition makes this a problem.

prosecute it as a crime of appropriate gravity, regardless of motive (including cultural tradition and "honour" so-called), including by prosecuting it more seriously if the victim was significantly harmed,

...so "of appropriate gravity" can mean "no worse than a verbal "no-no" from the judge", if the nation doesn't take harassment very seriously in general?

ban the use of alternative means of dispute resolution in resolving charges of it,

...what? Like, literally, what is this even trying to say?

refrain from repatriating vulnerable harassment victims to a state where their life or dignity may be in danger, and

Dignity? Since when is the WA concerned about people's dignity? And why should it, more to the point.

immediately educate all their subjects on the criminal nature and consequences of harassment.

And you've undoubtedly created some machine with which to beam this knowledge immediately into their brains? :roll:

This opinion has been brought to you by the good people of Orion Pharma, the makers of the pain medication necessary for a knee injury after slipping on the most frictionless surface known to man, which is fresh frosty snow on smooth ice.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly