NATION

PASSWORD

American healthcare is going to fix itself

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

American healthcare is going to fix itself

Postby Iwassoclose » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 pm

And what I mean by that is they are gonna price out the majority of the people and change the paradigm of how the right view insurance and public health care.

A few months back I found out that recently there has been a sharp increase in hospitals suing people. Even when people do have insurance, the copay is so high that they cant pay and get chased by the hospital for the money. The reason of course is the games that insurance companies and hospitals play by overcharging and then negotiating a smaller payment for the bill has created a cycle where prices of services and goods inflate rapidly. The prices have reached so high that even when the insurance covers most of it, the bills still come to thousands of dollars and most people cannot cover that.

Before the conservative's reason for eschewing public or universal healthcare was that they already paid into their insurance and that further taxation for healthcare would be a deal breaker for any plans to create said universal healthcare service. Now however with the rapid rise of hospitals suing patients I hope they continue. I hope they become what Trump is to politics and normalize what seemed like radical ideas thus creating an environment where people like Sanders can thrive and get support for what used to be considered outlier ideas such as universal health care.

Do you agree?

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:17 pm

You have to be pretty fucking low to hope sick people are ripped off so that you can win an election.
Last edited by Aclion on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Aclion wrote:You have to be pretty fucking low to hope sick people are ripped off so that you can win an election.

Too bad that’s not what he said.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:13 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Aclion wrote:You have to be pretty fucking low to hope sick people are ripped off so that you can win an election.

Too bad that what he said.

I hope they continue. I hope they become what Trump is to politics and normalize what seemed like radical ideas thus creating an environment where people like Sanders can thrive

That do indeed be what he said. Yeah, it's pretty bad.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Beyond the provision of a public option which covers all citizens, government has no place in healthcare.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:56 am

Sundiata wrote:Beyond the provision of a public option, government has no place in healthcare.

Why should private insurance providers have any place in health care? It's nothing more than an unnecessary middle man making money without offering anything.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:07 am

Page wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Beyond the provision of a public option, government has no place in healthcare.

Why should private insurance providers have any place in health care? It's nothing more than an unnecessary middle man making money without offering anything.

Because they offer a lot, especially the most expensive plans.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 am

Sundiata wrote:
Page wrote:

they offer the real death panels, because little green pieces of paper are more important to them then human life.
they offer life is only for the highest bidder.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:14 am

Iwassoclose wrote:And what I mean by that is they are gonna price out the majority of the people and change the paradigm of how the right view insurance and public health care.

A few months back I found out that recently there has been a sharp increase in hospitals suing people. Even when people do have insurance, the copay is so high that they cant pay and get chased by the hospital for the money. The reason of course is the games that insurance companies and hospitals play by overcharging and then negotiating a smaller payment for the bill has created a cycle where prices of services and goods inflate rapidly. The prices have reached so high that even when the insurance covers most of it, the bills still come to thousands of dollars and most people cannot cover that.

Before the conservative's reason for eschewing public or universal healthcare was that they already paid into their insurance and that further taxation for healthcare would be a deal breaker for any plans to create said universal healthcare service. Now however with the rapid rise of hospitals suing patients I hope they continue. I hope they become what Trump is to politics and normalize what seemed like radical ideas thus creating an environment where people like Sanders can thrive and get support for what used to be considered outlier ideas such as universal health care.

Do you agree?

No. Charging out of pocket expenses at a much higher rate than insurers pay needs an immediate solution. Like banning it. Or perhaps appointing a collective bargainer for anyone incurring over a threshold of costs.

If the solution you propose is "get Sanders elected and implement universal health care" then frankly you've got no solution at all. You've let the perfect be the enemy of the good, and to boot overstated the ability of a President to legislate.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:24 am

Cameroi wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Because they offer a lot, especially the most expensive plans.

they offer the real death panels, because little green pieces of paper are more important to them then human life.

Well, to be fair, the American system is not completely privatized. It's semi-private, semi-public.

The United States needs a completely public option for all who want it that competes with largely deregulated, unsubsidized, private insurers.

The United States can achieve universal healthcare coverage while at the same time ensuring the economic freedom of its citizens.
Last edited by Sundiata on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:10 am

Sundiata wrote:
Cameroi wrote:they offer the real death panels, because little green pieces of paper are more important to them then human life.

Well, to be fair, the American system is not completely privatized. It's semi-private, semi-public.

The United States needs a completely public option for all who want it that competes with largely deregulated, unsubsidized, private insurers.

The United States can achieve universal healthcare coverage while at the same time ensuring the economic freedom of its citizens.

How? Our esteemed overlords are looking to cut Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security -- you know, things WE ACTUALLY PAY IN TO, because they can't fucking budget and NOT spend money like a drunken sailor.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:42 am

Katganistan wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Well, to be fair, the American system is not completely privatized. It's semi-private, semi-public.

How? Our esteemed overlords are looking to cut Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security -- you know, things WE ACTUALLY PAY IN TO, because they can't fucking budget and NOT spend money like a drunken sailor.

Well, this is a battle that's being fought politically to this day, largely within the Democratic Party. If you're a democrat, vote for the candidate that has the best healthcare plan.

Medicare and Medicaid should be lumped into a single public system accessible to all citizens, the programs as they exist today have too much red tape.
Last edited by Sundiata on Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 am

Page wrote:

Because they provide people with options. And in many cases are superior to the government options. If they are inferior people will not buy them anyways. I would rather have Blue Cross the Medicare, which is not the greatest. But I would rather have Medicare than nothing.

Although I do support a government subsidized option for all those who want it or do not have healthcare. Medicare should be available to all who want and need it, but not forced on those that do not want or need it. And people should be allowed to provide additional and supplemental plans if the choose. (Because Medicare is mediocre at best, many people in it already get a supplemental plan). A problem with Medicare for all is Medicare is not very good.

And some of the most successful systems in the world have a combination of public and private plans.

Having Medicare available to all who do not have sufficient coverage from an alternative source is good. It will force the the private companies to behave better (because people have an alternative) yet at the same time also give people an option.

While ensuring universal coverage.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 am

Yes, American healthcare is going to fix itself, much in the same way that American infrastructure will fix itself: it won't.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The of Korea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The of Korea » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 am

Luziyca wrote:Yes, American healthcare is going to fix itself, much in the same way that American infrastructure will fix itself: it won't.

indeed.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 am

Sundiata wrote:
Page wrote:

Then why does the majority of the world have some form of Universal Healthcare?
The US is the only industrial nation not to have some form of Universal Healthcare.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:30 am

Coming from a country with a national health service (with a very inspirational name), I do support universal healthcare. But I'd disagree with the title and I doubt American healthcare will fix itself any time soon.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:33 am

Celritannia wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Because they offer a lot, especially the most expensive plans.

The US is the only industrial nation not to have some form of Universal Healthcare.

The majority of the world does not. The majority of the world is not highly developed.
Universal healthcare does not require a single payer system, or preclude the existence of private plans. Many countries with universal healthcare like Germany have a mixture of public and private plans.

Yes the US should have universal healthcare but that does not mean we have to ban private plans, which often are superior to government ones in coverage (but not necessarily availability.

Just as having public schools does not preclude having private schools you can have both.

Although we need to merge Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP into a single program available to everyone who does not have sufficient healthcare from other sources, which would ensure universal coverage, we should not mandate it be the only one available.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:02 am

Novus America wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

The majority of the world does not. The majority of the world is not highly developed.
Universal healthcare does not require a single payer system, or preclude the existence of private plans. Many countries with universal healthcare like Germany have a mixture of public and private plans.

Yes the US should have universal healthcare but that does not mean we have to ban private plans, which often are superior to government ones in coverage (but not necessarily availability.

Just as having public schools does not preclude having private schools you can have both.

Although we need to merge Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP into a single program available to everyone who does not have sufficient healthcare from other sources, which would ensure universal coverage, we should not mandate it be the only one available.

Universal Healthcare is a general term which means some form of assistance for healthcare which includes the NHS system and a Universal Insurance System like Germany.
Universal Healthcare is not just Nationalised Healthcare

Universal healthcare does not imply coverage for all people for everything, only that all people have access to healthcare. Some universal healthcare systems are government funded, while others are based on a requirement that all citizens purchase private health insurance. Universal healthcare can be determined by three critical dimensions: who is covered, what services are covered, and how much of the cost is covered.[1] It is described by the World Health Organization as a situation where citizens can access health services without incurring financial hardship.[2]

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care

I also never said the world was highly developed either. I am just saying the US is the only developed country not to have UHS.

So here is a map showing all the countries of the world. The majority of them do have a Universal Healthcare System of some sort:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... 191229.svg
Last edited by Celritannia on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:12 am, edited 7 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:21 am

Celritannia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Universal Healthcare is a general term which means some form of assistance for healthcare which includes the NHS system and a Universal Insurance System like Germany.

Universal healthcare does not imply coverage for all people for everything, only that all people have access to healthcare. Some universal healthcare systems are government funded, while others are based on a requirement that all citizens purchase private health insurance. Universal healthcare can be determined by three critical dimensions: who is covered, what services are covered, and how much of the cost is covered.[1] It is described by the World Health Organization as a situation where citizens can access health services without incurring financial hardship.[2]

I also never said the world was highly developed either. I am just saying the US is the only developed country not to have UHS.

So here is a map showing all the countries of the world. The majority of them do have a Universal Healthcare System of some sort:

I am aware universal healthcare coverage does not require a single payer nationalized system.
That was my point. We can and should have universal coverage without banning private plans.
My proposal would do that.

Fair enough on that map, though it has problems (the US should be marked as blue as we do have government funded systems just they do not provide universal coverage) although it should be noted in many cases the “universal coverage systems” in those countries really exist only on paper only, in many cases the (like Russia) “universal coverage” is so limited and low quality that while theoretically available to all it is not actually the case.

But yes we should have universal healthcare.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:23 am

Novus America wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

I am aware universal healthcare coverage does not require a single payer nationalized system.
That was my point. We can and should have universal coverage without banning private plans.

Fair enough on that map, though it has problems (the US should be marked as blue as we do have government funded systems just they do not provide universal coverage) although it should be noted in many cases the “universal coverage systems” in those countries really exist only on paper only, in many cases the (like Russia) “universal coverage” is so limited and low quality that while theoretically available to all it is not actually the case.

Well, even in the UK, there are still private health companies like BUPA and VitalityHealth.
So even in countries with an NHS, private healthcare is still an option, that isn't removed.
Last edited by Celritannia on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Ethan Allen
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethan Allen » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:25 am

I do not agree with the OP.

The American healthcare system is indeed in need of fixing. However, the only approach I would support is one that follows a free market approach, free from the molestation of government with its taxes and regulations.
Prince of Vermont
Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:26 am

Celritannia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Well, even in the UK, there are still private health companies, like BUPA.

True, the issue was earlier someone asked why private health companies should exist at all.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:28 am

Ethan Allen wrote:I do not agree with the OP.

The American healthcare system is indeed in need of fixing. However, the only approach I would support is one that follows a free market approach, free from the molestation of government with its taxes and regulations.

Yeah, no. That's a terrible idea.
If you look above, there are links provided to show how a Universal Healthcare system is actually beneficial.
And countries like Japan and Germany have Universal Insurance where the Government sets the rates and subsidise those that cannot afford.

Private companies providing healthcare for business is actually worse for the people.
Last edited by Celritannia on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Ethan Allen
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethan Allen » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:28 am

The reason private healthcare exists is because healthcare is a service, not a right.
Prince of Vermont
Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General