NATION

PASSWORD

The 2019-2020 Coronavirus outbreak thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Great Algerstonia wrote:Too late for that. There’s at least a dozen U.S. cases being tested now.

63 actually

Mind you, not all of them will have turned out to have it. But... yeah.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:14 am

Satuga wrote:I'd be more worried about getting it due to the hospital bill tbh.

Same here. I wash my hands religiously to keep the medical debt away.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:14 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Said lab had leaks. Also SARS came from a Chinese lab. It’s not crazy to think that they might be related

It kinda is, it’s needless and baseless conspiratorial yarn spinning.

It’s really not that crazy

Thermodolia wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:TIL newly emerged viruses can’t just be a natural occurrence anymore, they have to be the work of a secret nefarious biological weapons program, they just have to be! :roll:

Said lab had leaks. Also SARS came from a Chinese lab. It’s not crazy to think that they might be related.

Also China is being extremely tight lipped about it. They claim it came from snakes and there’s limited human to human contact. That’s absolutely bullshit.

They don’t want to admit that they fucked up and admit they had a leak at a CDC style level-4 facility
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am

Thermodolia wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:It kinda is, it’s needless and baseless conspiratorial yarn spinning.

It’s really not that crazy

Thermodolia wrote:Said lab had leaks. Also SARS came from a Chinese lab. It’s not crazy to think that they might be related.

Also China is being extremely tight lipped about it. They claim it came from snakes and there’s limited human to human contact. That’s absolutely bullshit.

They don’t want to admit that they fucked up and admit they had a leak at a CDC style level-4 facility

Whatever floats your boat.
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:20 am

Thermodolia wrote:It’s really not that crazy

Dude China refused to share important information back in 2003 during SARS. It’s really not out of the realm of possibility that the CPC doesn’t want to admit that it fucked up
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:28 am

Thermodolia wrote:It’s really not that crazy

“ Kanatjan Alibekov, former director of one of the Soviet germ-warfare programs, said that China suffered a serious accident at one of its biological weapons plants in the late 1980s. Alibekov asserted that Soviet reconnaissance satellites identified a biological weapons laboratory and plant near a site for testing nuclear warheads. The Soviets suspected that two separate epidemics of hemorrhagic fever that swept the region in the late 1980s were caused by an accident in a lab where Chinese scientists were weaponizing viral diseases.“ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_a ... al_weapons

So while we do not know it is the case it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

It could also be an accident due to non weapons based viral research.
A non military related, purely medical disease research facility could have an accident.

Again it could be completely natural as well, but human error is not outside the realm of possibility.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:28 am

Thermodolia wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Whatever floats your boat.

Dude China refused to share important information back in 2003 during SARS. It’s really not out of the realm of possibility that the CPC doesn’t want to admit that it fucked up

Everyone knows that the CCP fucked up, not through bioweapons testing leading to a virus outbreak, but through simple public health failure. The CCP can not admit that China did anything wrong - including selling contaminated food in markets. Hence, their default answer is censorship.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:37 am

Vivolkha wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Dude China refused to share important information back in 2003 during SARS. It’s really not out of the realm of possibility that the CPC doesn’t want to admit that it fucked up

Everyone knows that the CCP fucked up, not through bioweapons testing leading to a virus outbreak, but through simple public health failure. The CCP can not admit that China did anything wrong - including selling contaminated food in markets. Hence, their default answer is censorship.

Im not saying that it was a bio weapon lab but a highly possible civilian program that had an accident. They definitely did something wrong as they are blocking everything from people posting about hospitals to people literally falling over in the streets
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:42 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Vivolkha wrote:Everyone knows that the CCP fucked up, not through bioweapons testing leading to a virus outbreak, but through simple public health failure. The CCP can not admit that China did anything wrong - including selling contaminated food in markets. Hence, their default answer is censorship.

Im not saying that it was a bio weapon lab but a highly possible civilian program that had an accident. They definitely did something wrong as they are blocking everything from people posting about hospitals to people literally falling over in the streets

I mean, it could be as simple as: they've known about it for a lot longer then they claim, and didn't act.

I'm not totally discounting the virology lab angle, but it's not like they need the additional excuse to be embarrassed by their poor response.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:46 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Im not saying that it was a bio weapon lab but a highly possible civilian program that had an accident. They definitely did something wrong as they are blocking everything from people posting about hospitals to people literally falling over in the streets

I mean, it could be as simple as: they've known about it for a lot longer then they claim, and didn't act.

I'm not totally discounting the virology lab angle, but it's not like they need the additional excuse to be embarrassed by their poor response.

True. They could have known about it for months and just didn’t care
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Dogmeat
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:52 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:I mean, it could be as simple as: they've known about it for a lot longer then they claim, and didn't act.

I'm starting to suspect that has to be the case anyway.

The rapidly ballooning number of cases makes it seem like this thing has just an absurd rate of spread, which is fueling panic. But it's more likely that the CCP is just lying about the number of earlier cases, because this has been going on for a while, and admitting that would embarrass them.
Immortal God Dog
天狗

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 am

We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 am

We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:10 am

And how many of those simulated deaths were from poor countries who cant afford proper treatment rather than rich countries that could?
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:16 am

Are these the same simulations that said Ebola would spread and kill millions a few years ago?
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 am

Are these the same simulations that said Ebola would spread and kill millions a few years ago?

Except the nations that had Ebola wherent tight lipped about the virus.

It’s highly likely that this thing has been around for a few months. Just hand waving it away isn’t a bright idea
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:True. They could have known about it for months and just didn’t care

The rapidly ballooning number of cases makes it seem like this thing has just an absurd rate of spread, which is fueling panic. But it's more likely that the CCP is just lying about the number of earlier cases, because this has been going on for a while, and admitting that would embarrass them.

That is the problem that is fueling much of the fear. We have no idea how bad this is, where it came from, and what risk is involved.
The CCP chronically and pathologically lies, and absolutely nothing they say can be trusted to be true.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:23 am

Let's not forget China does not have the best medical technology, or resources which could have effected just how spread this thing got in China.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 am

Big difference herein is that Ebola is way too deadly to form a viable pandemic; it kills too fast.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am

Totally Not OEP wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Are these the same simulations that said Ebola would spread and kill millions a few years ago?

Big difference herein is that Ebola is way too deadly to form a viable pandemic; it kills too fast.

Wasn't the black death also very deadly?
Funny quotes:

Tarsonis wrote:

(Image)

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38 am

Catburg wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Reputable citations please, tto back up this absurd idea you seems to have of the CCP killing their own citizens.

WTF is a “CCP citizen”? China is not really a republic and there aren’t any citizens.

Citizenship has nothing to do with being a republic.
Satuga wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:

Wasn't the black death also very deadly?

Black Death spread via fleas (on the rats on the boats), which bit people but did not die themselves.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am

Totally Not OEP wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Are these the same simulations that said Ebola would spread and kill millions a few years ago?

Sure, but it is what it is, a simulation. They account for worst case scenarios, best case scenarios, and all the space in between, but it's often the former. Secondly, Coronavirus covers a broad spectrum of viruses under the same name. You have some that'll give you a nasty cough for a week and others that'll turn your respiratory system into silly putty.

Seeing as this particular coronavirus is still less fatal than SARS and seems to really hit those 75+ with the diagnosis of death, I don't imagine this will snowball into a "brutal pandemic."

If I'm wrong, well, chances are I'll be dead so meh.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:58 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:True. They could have known about it for months and just didn’t care

I mean, it is speculated to have an R0 of up to 2.5, nearly doubling that of Influenza in 2009 and similar to the Spanish Flu in 1918, therefore its rate of spread isn't anything to be shocked about. Worried, yes, surprised, no. The fact is that many of these are most likely the virus leaving incubation, as opposed to new cases, as the disease most likely has an incubation period of 2 weeks, which could end up creating "new" cases even after the isolation of people with vaguely-related symptoms.
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:I mean, it could be as simple as: they've known about it for a lot longer then they claim, and didn't act.

That seems to be the case. Reports out of Wuhan from residents have been scary to say the least, it's certainly worse than they're letting on, but not apocalyptic like some might think.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:12 am

Major-Tom wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:

Sure, but it is what it is, a simulation. They account for worst case scenarios, best case scenarios, and all the space in between, but it's often the former. Secondly, Coronavirus covers a broad spectrum of viruses under the same name. You have some that'll give you a nasty cough for a week and others that'll turn your respiratory system into silly putty.

Seeing as this particular coronavirus is still less fatal than SARS and seems to really hit those 75+ with the diagnosis of death, I don't imagine this will snowball into a "brutal pandemic."

If I'm wrong, well, chances are I'll be dead so meh.

Well it could turn into a pandemic but one that relatively healthy people won’t die from. Basically healthy people could be unwitting carriers of the virus that won’t really affect them but could harm the elderly, young, and Immunocompromised
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General