NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1494] A Minor Political Problem

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED; #1494] A Minor Political Problem

Postby Sacara » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:17 am

[Name] A Minor Political Problem
[Desc] After the conclusion of the latest election cycle, it was discovered half of the campaign funds a member from your party raised while running for parliament came from donations made by children.
[Validity] is a democracy

[option] "It's just sick to think people are okay with preying on our nation's youth," bemoans one of the parents whose child donated to the campaign in question. "I was getting suspicious when my son kept asking me for money every day, and now I figure out he was giving it away to some rotten politician! These young folks can't even vote yet, and these greedy politicians are already taking money from them. Please, you have to kick this person out of parliament, and going forward candidates should be banned from taking money out of the hands of our innocent children!"
[effect] politicians can't accept birthday presents from their own children

[option] "I really don't see a problem with what I did here. Are they not @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, too?" asks the MP at the center of the debate, wearing a t-shirt with a skull on it and holding a skateboard over their shoulder. "I love listening to the young people of @@NAME@@, and they just happen to resonate with my message. Don't ya know there are some very smart kids who want to get involved already? Besides, it's not like I'm forcing them to do anything. It should be their decision as to how they choose to spend their money, not the government's."
[effect] politicians can be seen taking candy from babies

[option] "I don't know about you, but I view this demographic as an untapped gold mine!" excitedly announces your chief election strategist, preparing several colorful goody bags. "Our guy was onto something big here. Not literally, as kids are small, but something that will certainly help us out in a big way. What if we do allow children to vote? Then, we could start campaigning at schools all across @@NAME@@, filling our youth with promises of ice cream and toys if they vote for us. I can see it already, @@LEADER@@; we'll win in a landslide!"
[effect] the little guy plays a big role in @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ politics
Last edited by Sacara on Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:09 am, edited 13 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:29 am

Amusing, but quite "out there". Is there a real life precedent you're basing this on? I know that in the US at least, minors can't donate.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Amusing, but quite "out there". Is there a real life precedent you're basing this on?
Honestly, there is no precedent this is based off of. However, I came up with the idea after doing some researching campaign finance laws in the United States and found that minors can donate, even if they are not allowed to vote. Then, my mind somehow created this crazy scenario of a politician potentially receiving large amounts of money from minors, and I wrote this issue. :)

EDIT: I didn't see your edit in time, but yes in the United States minors can donate.
Last edited by Sacara on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:34 am

Lots of different types of candidates in the US, but this page suggests that children can't donate to federal candidates:

https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and ... ontribute/

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:34 am

Oh, I misread it.

Subject to limitations, gotcha.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:38 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Oh, I misread it.

Subject to limitations, gotcha.
Haha, yep. The campaign finance laws in the United States are really confusing, especially considering Citizens United v. FEC.

Hopefully this isn't too far out there, though, to make a good issue. :)
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:08 am

[effect] teenagers feel even more voiceless in @@NAME@@

Even more voiceless than what? The effect line won't make much sense on a nation front page.

[effect] politicians can be seen literally taking candy from babies

Good line! I'd lose "literally" though.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:50 am

This is great Sacara! the only thing I would do is for the last effect line to remove "elementary" sense it's targeting all students, simple suggestion, though you could leave it. All in all, good luck! :)

Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Socio Polor wrote:This is great Sacara! the only thing I would do is for the last effect line to remove "elementary" sense it's targeting all students, simple suggestion, though you could leave it. All in all, good luck! :)

I think it's for the comedic effect
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:05 pm

I wouldn't expect most children to have enough money to make a meaningful difference.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 pm

I just had a quick idea for the first effect line.

[effect] - it's seen as a conflict of interest for politicians to accept birthday presents from their kids
Last edited by Candensia on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I wouldn't expect most children to have enough money to make a meaningful difference.

Option one has an example of a child asking for money from their parents, I assume it would be along those lines.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:20 pm

Was this child Greta Thunburg?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:02 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
[effect] politicians can be seen literally taking candy from babies
Good line! I'd lose "literally" though.
I literally removed 'literally.' :P

Socio Polor wrote:This is great Sacara! the only thing I would do is for the last effect line to remove "elementary" sense it's targeting all students, simple suggestion, though you could leave it. All in all, good luck! :)
As Makdon said, it's more for comedic effect. I'll keep it as is, but thanks for the suggestion!

Candensia wrote:I just had a quick idea for the first effect line.

[effect] - it's seen as a conflict of interest for politicians to accept birthday presents from their kids
I adopted this in its entirety. Thanks Candensia!

Trotterdam wrote:I wouldn't expect most children to have enough money to make a meaningful difference.
As Leiscrep pointed out, that is why I added a tidbit in option one. In addition, if there are a lot of children donating even a few bucks, it begins to add up.

Australian rePublic wrote:Was this child Greta Thunburg?
;)

All in all, I completely replaced option one's effect line and slightly altered option two's effect line. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, and I would like to hear more.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:47 am

A nod to Greta in one of the options would be a good reference, I think.

The JELLEAIN Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The JELLEAIN Republic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:51 am

What if instead you say how teachers dedicate an entire unit to teaching them who to vote for...
May the autocorrect be with you...
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's a narrative, and narratives don't require masterminds or persian cats.
Male. Lives in USA. Quotes
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Same here. I wash my hands religiously to keep the medical debt away.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:59 am

How much did the child give, how old was the child, and where did he/she get it from? There's a difference between a working 16 y/o who used part of $50 from his wages, vs. A 10 y/o raking up a $10000 credit card debt for his/her parents
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 am

There's at least one existing issue that lets you give children the right to vote, and IIRC the right to stand for election. Maybe if you've done that, and it's tracked, this should influence the situation? At the very least, perhaps candidates who are children should be able to receive donations from children even if adult candidates can't?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 pm

Bears Armed wrote:There's at least one existing issue that lets you give children the right to vote, and IIRC the right to stand for election. Maybe if you've done that, and it's tracked, this should influence the situation? At the very least, perhaps candidates who are children should be able to receive donations from children even if adult candidates can't?
Hm... that seems like a good idea for a direct follow up to that issue, though I think it would be a stretch tying it to this premise. ;)

Still accepting feedback!
Last edited by Sacara on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Also feel this one is nearing the submission point. Going to leave up for a few more days to get feedback, though.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:22 am

Free ice cream seems a bit counterproductive, as it'll cost money. Maybe "tell the schools to give free ice cream to".

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:43 pm

I think I am going to submit this draft for the issue contest.

After over a year of letting it sit around, I've updated it considerably. Please let me know what you think!
Commended by SC #382

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:01 am

I like it, Sacara.

My only suggestion at present would be to continue to sharpen wordings as necessary.
Last edited by Candensia on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 am

politicians can't accept birthday presents from their own children

I like the implication of this, but perhaps the punchline could be a little sharper. Perhaps "children are left in tears as parents reject reject gifts with abject horror"? Maybe you'll think of something better :) but the current effect line is of course already good!

Are they not @@DEMONYM@@, too?"

I believe this should be @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ :)

politicians can be seen taking candy from babies

Perhaps a slight rephrase to "politicians taking candy from babies is a common sight these days"?

Very cleverly written issue and great topic! I really like it :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:24 pm

Made some changes and submitted this for the contest. Cheers.
Last edited by Sacara on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?